Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2013

GiGiL count me in on the Vegas trip.  I am planning on winning the lottery, so I will spring for the party.  I apparently don't know who Keith Urban is, but country singer comes to mind.  We can have a private party and pay him to entertain us in our huge suites.  I am planning on winning the big one, LOL.  I'll pay for Keith if I can also have Bruce Springsteen there! 

Okay it is so nice to dream........:)

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

Gigil - You are so right we are all connected. One big family and here I thought I was alone. Haha. I went and picked up the metzline today. I know I am spelling it wrong. Going to try tonight. Would be really great if it worked. I am going to break a Valium in half after dinner and we will see. If I am not on the boards tomorrow call the state police....haha.

I have to catch up on Scandal first. I always fall asleep on anything after 10. I get my pillows right, turn on the timer, sip some water and wake up 6 hours later. Getting old is awful. 

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

BUNKIE. Seeing as how you react to glues and I think I remember a moldy basement (?) I would bet your problem is allergy related. Hopefully the meclizine will help. The other night it hit me after eating at The Melting Pot where they season everything heavily. Some spice set me off. It is so maddening and frustrating!

• gigil
    edited May 2013

The Boss will be welcome at our party! Woot!

• gigil
    edited May 2013

I find low salt and lots of fluid does definitely help,the vertigo

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Kate - It is funny but I never talked much about health either. Both my parents were healthy and other than the normal stuff women get when younger I was fine. I had a nose job when I was 40. They were going to do sinus surgery anyway and I figured why not fix that bump from volleyball I got back in high school. I never told anyone and they kept telling me I looked less tired because they just did a little bit.

This is a great forum to vent when you need to and anything else you want to do. If I was out in Ca for Mothers Day I would feel so much better. This house has too many memories for me. I grew up here. I really think when I heal and sell this place I will be a lot better...mentally.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Gigil - I think you are right. I am sure if it is not the cause it is making it worst. Rads really set it off. Yes there is mold in my basement and I react to mold. I do not go down there without a mask. All the vents are sealed with the windows open.The allergist told me I had some affliction called Hypersensitivity. Caused by the body getting exposed to too many toxins and not being able to flush them out. Like a buildup. So I asked what was the treatment and he said avoidance. Oh sure. Avoid life????? I bet if I lived in a bubble for a year and it got better the minute I stepped outside it would kill me. I can see the news now. Bubble Girl dies from air.Surprised

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Gigil - probably MSG. It is in everything and I react to it if there is a lot. It is frustrating. I try to cook my own food at home but it is hard to cook for just one person.

I love to cook and used to do a lot of party catering for my job. I miss that.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Brookside - I can drive. I mean I can be spinning and get in the car and as long as I don;t do any sudden turns I am fine. I have a problem with laying down at night...flat or on my side. When I first got this I used to run to the Er all panicked. between the and my disease they used to call me a FF..frequent fly-er. They would put me in a room. Give me some Valium and fluids, look at my blood and tell me to go home and sleep it off. They did a brain MRI several times and said there was nothing there...haha I could have told them that.

Low salt. Ok I can try that too. I do not add it to much but I eat out a lot these days and they salt everything...heavy.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

BUNKIE you make me laugh! Bubble Girl Dies From Air! I know it will help you to get that house sold and move out! Mold is a tough one for me. I am sitting here all dressed to go out for dinner. I have to drive to the Mall of America during rush hour. I figured I might as well head out and do some leisurely shopping or reading sand sipping iced tea in the bookstore.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, I'm so sorry, I can't begin to know how's that must feel. You seem very strong, and have persevered all these years, trying to find some treatment. I know you will never give up, and because of that you will find the answer. All of us will stay attuned for any new treatments.

Kate, so glad June and relief is in sight. As always, u r positive, and say yay, I'll be better in June, and not how awful, I won't be better till June.

Janis, too funny, it gave me a smile to read your post-although it should probably make me sad, because it's so true. The other day I had some friends over, and kept offering them Evian water, but I could never get out the word Evian, and slipped up,and said Ativan every time. Very embarrassing.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2013

Susannah I hate it when I have that memory issue.  It is right on the tip of the tongue but you can't get there.  I get that totally.  I am sure your friends understand!  Keep a good sense of humor about it, it helps.  Maybe they would have preferred Ativan to Evian, LOL.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, years ago, my ENT gave me an article from his ENT journal.  The subject was the two types of Meniere's.  Yes, two.  One involves hearing loss, the other does not.  I have the one that does not.  My father had it as well.  At 94, he could hear a pin drop.  As my vertigo went on for ages, my diagnosis moved from Meniere's syndrome to Meniere's disease. 

I had all the same tests you recount and every time, the diagnosis was the same:  Meniere's.  My ENT also tested and told me that my type did not and would not respond to PT.

Now, I haven't checked this two types stuff with my new ENT.  I happen to be seeing him Monday about my thyroid, so maybe I'll remember to ask him about this.  Meanwhile, I'll reiterate that limiting head movement was my salvation.  It takes a while to figure out how to wash dishes, pay bills, or vacuum with limited movement, but it worked, and works for me, and might well work for you. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.  Meanwhile, enjoy lots of nice, long drives on the interstate.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Gigil, Janis and Brookside thank you so much for the support.

Brookside if this hasn't peaked I am going to scream and cry. My thigh is so swollen today I can't even wear my pants, because they don't fit with a gigantic thigh. I will have to wear long skirts till the swelling goes down. Of course I have many knee length skirts, but I can't wear them. From the knee down I am very swollen too, and I don't want my ugly leg  to be visible. It is possible it hasn't peaked yet. My doctor explained it like this the cancer cells and the chemo are fighting one another, but finally the chemo will win. Even if I don't get relief till the end of June I will be ok. As long as I know I will eventually get some comfort. I am ok. I was scared my doctor was going to say there won't be relief, so I was thrilled when he said relief some time in June. I told him I can't get much exercise walking, and he said it is ok. As long as I walk at least 2 blocks a day he said it would be ok. 2 blocks is all I can do, because my swollen leg hurts, and it causes me to be very out of breath dragging this extra weight. Also, since about 2 days ago, my foot got swollen too. I can only wear thongs. My doctor said that it is no good not to walk on it at all, but the little bit I can do will be fine. I am thinking positive, and trying to be resilient. I have chemo Monday, and then I am off for two weeks yeah yeah yeah. Thank goodness my chemo symtoms have been minimal. I am hyper and when I had rads I had no fatigue at all. The same thing with chemo. My doctor expected me to have fatigue this week, but I didn't One night I did sleep 14 hours, but I think that was because I sometimes only get 3 hours sleep. 3 hours is what I had last night. With all the anti-nausea meds I've had I've barely experienced even being too queasy. If I felt a tiny bit queasy I popped a pill and I was fine. I feel blessed not to have chemo symptoms.

Earlier today I said I don't like to talk about my health, and that is true, but I need a place to vent, and here is where I come to because of all the support I get from my bc sister. Thanks for listening and I am sorry I ranted on and on.

xoxo,

Kate

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

Kate,  June will be here before you know it, which will be great.

And Ladies, I'm in on the vertigo, although mine's the inner ear kind, and GERD, and, hmmm, would have to think too hard to remember the others as I generally try to forget about them, lol

Ok...this is what I did today...where's everyone else?

Which goes with this:

And this....

I'm all set....

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Oh, and Kate...my husband thinks I'm nuts to have green fingers, but he likes it!  Maybe mint green as you suggested would have been better...Kiss

• gigil
    edited May 2013

I've got my gold flecked nails too. Now I have to figure out how to post a pic. I think I have to start a Photobucket account, right?

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Sew love the green

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Gigil, yes photobucket, shutterfly something like that.  Upload the image to the photobucket.  Then, I right click and use "copy image location" on the image I want to post here, then I come to this site and click on the 'insert image" icon (the green tree)  to get the little dialogue box to open.  Your cursor will be blinking on the line with the "image url" header, so just right click and click on "paste" which will insert an image location into the proper box.  Then click on "insert" at the bottom of the box, and, hopefully, your image will appear.  I find none of this works on an ipad, and I have to use my regular computer to get it to work.  Looking forward to seeing gold flecks!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Sew OMG I love your nails, but first let me discuss the medical issues that you unfortunatley have. I am so sorry you have these issues. Too much on your plate, and I hope you get relief asap.

Nails, nails, nails! Sew your hands are beautiful, and I love the nail color. Mint green is nice, but I love this color too.

Men always think us ladies are nuts when we do our girlie, girl stuff, so your husband's reaction did not surprise me at all.

Gigil I am so happy you did gold flecked nails. I can't wait to see the photos.

Lets declare this our first girlie-girl day. Next month lets plan the date in advance, so I can participate too. You all know how much I love my girlie-girl stuff. I took great pleasure from both of you having a fun relaxing time, of having your hands look beautiful, and of course because you are both being so girlie-girl today. Enjoy!

Love,

Kate

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Kate...thanks. I'm getting used to seeing them! You have tomorrow for a mani-pedi and get caught us with us. Then you'll be beautiful for dinner at Kelley's!

(P.s. I've no clue where all the wrinkles on those hands came from but guess I came by them naturally...lol)

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Sew, I was thinking what beautiful, graceful hands you have. Mine are kind of large and stubby.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Sew you are so wrong about your hands being wrinkly. You have beautiful, graceful hands. I get a fill and pedi, and I just had one last week. I won't need another fill and pedi for two more weeks.

Suzannahi, I  totally agree with you I think Sew's hands are very graceful

xoxo,

Kate

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Thanks Susannah....it's just always a shock to see any kind of a photo of ourselves, isn't it?

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

OMG I have to vent again. I just came home from the donut shop and my foot is about ready to explode. It is three times larger than what my MO saw today, and it was quite swollen then too. I ate a lot today, because I was feeling good, and I had a lot of salty food. I am wondering if that has anything to do with it. My foot looks like you need to put a pin in it and have all the swelling come out, kind of like a baloon. It is quite painful too, and it is squishing my toes together. i have emailed my MO a few minutes ago. I am hoping he gets on to check emails later tonight. I just want to make sure it is the same thing that he talked about today or what?

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Kate..wow. Try elevating that leg like over the back of the couch while waiting to hear from the Dr. You also might try gentle massage from the foot toward the groin like a lymphedema massage while its elevated. Good luck

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Kate, you need a simple day!  I hope your foot shrinks soon.  I bet the salt could have had something to do with it.  MostlySew's advice sounds really helpful.  Also could you maybe take a picture and email it to the doctor, or at least use the picture to compare with how it looks tomorrow and so on?  Your descriptions are really vivid, but photographic documentation is also persuasive.  (Could even be useful in the lawsuit maybe?)

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

April,Sorry about kitty.It is very expensive and time consuming to have a diabetic kitty.We had a dog with Addisons disease and she would go into a crisis and get shockey when off her meds.Her meds were like $63 a month and after a few years of that we finally had to put her down.

BUNKIE I'm sorry your having the vertigo.I hope you get some relief soon.

Sew nice nail job!!I'm jealous.We can't have our nails painted like that in the health care profession.

Kate I hope the swelling goes down soon.That's awful.

GiGi I'm jealous.We went on vacation to Mall of America one summer.What a time we had.It was so much fun.Kind of expensive though.I can't imagine living so close to it.We drove for like 6 hours to get there from St Louis.We used to love that show Mall cops.

I've been hit by some major fatigue tonight.I had so much energy when I got home from work.I folded some laundry,cleaned kitty litter boxes.Then the dog wanted to go for a walk.So during the walk I started to feel like I wasn't going to make it back.I literally plopped into my new reclining couch reclined back and had my 10 yr old wait on me.I couldn't move.It's been 2 1/2 weeks since Rads ended its this Rads related.I thought I read some people say it hit them a while after.

I have to mention what happened last night I got home from work to find the dog still in the bedroom.When my dear hubby left for work he didn't realize the door was locked when he pulled the door shut.We couldn't find the key.My hubby had to call a friend who is a locksmith.He couldn't

Get it open since D D decided to try to break the door knob off with a screwdriver.He ended up using a credit card.That poor dog was so happy to get out she licked the locksmith in the face.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Sew, Thank you for the advice I will try it.

Runfree great idea to take a photo

Josie, So sorry you have fatigue, and so sorry your doggie was locked jup for a long time.

This has gotten so bad it is squishing my toes together and making them painful. It is alos so bad that I am moaning out loud. I sure hope I don't have to go back to er tonight. I am just too exhausted to go, and in the evenings the emergency room is jammed with people, and I couldn't stand being stuck there for hours. On a Friday night I may not hear from my doctor or it could be sometime between 9 and 11, On Friday and Saturday night he does very little emailing. He is so super busy he needs a little time for himself. I pray that I hear from him. All I can do is hang in there, but the pain coming from my toes is bad. The ugly cancer cells are fighting furiously they do not want to be killed. that is how my doctor talked about it today

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Josie...poor puppy! Glad you only (?) ended up with a broken door knob! That "hit the wall" fatigue is rough stuff indeed. I had several episodes of it after rads stopped. I never knew when it would hit. It did lessen in severity each time and eventually I only had to just sit for 5 minutes or so, then I was fine. It does go away. I think I probably had 4 or so episodes over about 6 weeks, if memory serves. Hopefully you won't have any more....