Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

The photo is me in myy new harem skirt and green blouse I wore to the donut shop today. If you look closely you can see my swollen foot. I had such a wonderful day as I mentioned in a previous post, but don't yell at me, I overdid it. At about 6 pm Kelly and I went to the mall so she could get some good deas I bought a tee in peach. Then I walked 4 blocks and OMG that was such a dumb thing to do, and now I am paying for it. I am on the sofa with my foot hanging over, so hopefully it will be better in the morning. I have a blood draw at 10 and a half hour chemo treatment at 11, Then I am off of chemo till June 3. YEAH! YEAH!YEAH!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

Sorry you had bad weather today. We had a gorgeous day.I went to the promenade this evening with Kelly. Unfortunately I walked too much, but I had a fabulous day.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Runfree and Suzannah thank you for the wonderful compliments, and your support.

Sab, I am so glad you had a nice Mother's day with your mom.

Josie, I am so glad that you had a nice day. Thank you for the compliment and your support

Gigil so glad you were able to enjoy dinner and a movie today.

Macatacmy, So glad you enjoyed a wonderful trip to Mexico with your DD

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

Great picture Kate! You look so pretty. I love the skirt! I would love to wear a skirt like that. You look so happy. Glad you had a lovely day. Flowers and all!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Thank you Gigil.I was happy today. Love was all around from my hairdresser to my children and grandchildren, and Kelly, and her family. My grandchildren were so sweet to me on the phone with I love you too I love you too etc. I cried when I hung up, because their love made me so happy. So glad you had a nice dinner and went to see Gatsby. Was the movie good?

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Chemo at 11 today, only a 30 minute treatment. Then I am off till June 3 when I will have a 5 hour treatment. I am super grateful to get a couple of weeks off now.  I hope everyone has a very good day. I am still feeling great from my fantastic Mother's Day yesterday.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Sab,

What brand and color is your nail polish? I am getting bored of the blue I am wearing, and would like to try green next time.

xoxo,

Kate

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2013

Hope we all had great Mothers Days...I did too. My youngest son graduated from college yesterday. Beautiful day in Memphis. Huge graduating class and the ceremony was long but worth it. We dined at Alfred's on Beale with family and his friends. My family has 5 graduations going on. One high school and four college...spread out everywhere. Ours was the only one in Memphis. Very proud of son who also gave me the most beautiful silver and black earrings(with insurance incl) for Mothers Day...wore them to the graduation. So now all the kids are out of school...whew...long time coming.

Kate - I love that outfit...hope your foot gets better. diane

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Diane,

Congratulations! Fantastic that your son graduated college yesterday, and it sounds like you had a fabulous celebration. Wow what a wonderful gift. Enjoy! Enjoy!! Enjoy!

xoxo,

Kate

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Sew, yes, do your toes!  I do mine because my nails are a disaster, and I keep them blunt and very short.  I'm so jealous of all of your beautiful nails/hands! 

Kate, I'm sorry about your legs, but what I notice in your picture is all the other beautiful stuff...your smile, and your lovely appearance.  

Macatac, what a fun time you had! Were you always this adventurous?

Joan, Just a few more days to the end of the semester.  You're probably just as happy as the students!

I hope the gals who are feeling under the weather are better this week.

Mother's Day was calm, quiet and lovely. Managed some exercise, got some flowers, and was treated with love.  Couldn't ask for more.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Edwards, congratulations on your son"s graduation! What a sweet time that is, I remember fondly my dd's graduation. Your son sounds like a wonderful young man.

SAB, glad your Mother's Day was quiet and lovely, just like it should be.

Kate, next 2 weeks off, and just1/2 hour today!! Happy for you.

Susannah

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Sab,

Thank you for the compliment. So glad you were treated with love, and had a fantastic Mother's Day. Only you would be disciplined enough to exercise on Mother's day. I am so jealous of your motivation, and discipline, but so much admire you.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

I am at chemo with about 20 minutes to go. Pretty soon they will bring around the food cart, and I can get a nice lunch. Then, as I've mentioned numerous times before, I am off of chemo till a 5 hour treatment June 3. So grateful to have a couple of weeks off

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Edwards, That is the best way to be busy--attending 5 happy events.  Enjoy! My daughter is entering her senior year in the fall, and I can't wait!  She just got her senior show date (she's at art school.)  She's excited.

Kate, Glad you have some time off, and that the chemo warriors will be fighting the cancer cells while you rest and take care of your leg! It's not really discipline I have--we hike and run in some very pretty places and though challenging it is also so lovely to be out in nature.  I will tell you that I have walked the Santa Monica to Venice path near you many, many times...it's great people watching.  When your leg is fully functional again you should take that stroll! My polish was Rimmel.  It was OK but I wouldn't recommend it.  Back to my regular pink OPI next time Smile

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Sab,

Walking the Santa Monica to Venice path sounds like great people watching to me too. Do you know the yiddish word mashugana. There are so many of them in that area lol. I love finding bargain's on Venice Beach, and when my leg is better I will try it. Well, I still think you are disciplined, and have so much motivation. 

xoxo,

Kate 

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

Wow Kate you look like a movie star. Really. I know you are fighting something bad but good grief you look great. Really like the skirt too.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

You are such a sweetheart. What lovely compliments. Thank you, but are you sure your eyesight is ok  How are you doing today?

xoxo,

Kate

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Venice is where I got my first hippie beads and earrings back in the 70s. I still have them. Bartering all over the place. I really miss cheap sunglasses. Venice has the best. I even got some of my Mexican furniture from a shop down there. I miss that walk so much. Have to go back.

Well I managed to get through Mothers Day without too much sadness. Seems like the day before was the worst. Looked at some photos of my mom and that was good. Most were from our vacations. Cruise ship vacations and any place in Mexico or the Caribbean were our favorites. I can remember all the fun we had because my mom was such a diva.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

I love to barter on Venice beach too. A fun place to shop.

I am so glad that you were able to cope with Mother's Day, and glad that you have good memories of vacationing with mom. I love it that she was a diva.

xoxo,

Kate

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, I envy you your memories of your mother-how lucky you are to have shared her diva life, to have traveled and enjoyed good times with her. It's my second Mother's Day without my mom. As I mentioned previously, she was difficulty, a curmudgeon, but she was my curmudgeon-I miss her so much.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Where is everyone. It has been very quiet today, and I hope that is because everyone is doing well.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited May 2013

Sew, I am Kim (aka Lemon).. thats my hand. And Runfree I have never had my nails done by anyone but me. I do them Sunday nights, so my pic was just before a redo- now they are orange. Unfortunately out of the blue they are beginning to peel. Could it be a reaction to the rads? I hppe your cold is better today, you deserve a break from all this, a cold? Really? Do you have allergies from all the pollen?

Sew- love the recap on your outing with your mom, made me smile.Smile

Josie- I think your BS telling you if it returns you will kick yourself is a bit harsh. It may be true but harsh. The stats on tamoxifen arent very concrete. My BS says if 100 women take it, it may help 13 some it will help but may have never had a return anyway so they just dont know. What convinced me is my MO said, if you have a ITC (which I did near nodes) it could plant itself down in your toe and grow. Take the pill and it wont be able to, it will starve. I didnt take it yesterday and I didnt take it today. Yes, I feel like crap for not taking it and feel crappy when I do. Mental struggle.

GIGI- Thanks for letting me know that I am normal.. and not alone ((HUGS)) means so much.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Hi Kate, I'm here! Sounds as if chemo went well today?  I want to hear how the next few days go.  Your skirt looks so comfy and pretty!

I'm doing well except for my dumb cold.  I noticed yesterday that my BC boob is looking a lot better, I mean more like the other one.  Bits of skin have flaked off around the nipple, but painlessly and only in small spots.  The itching is a little better too.  I feel as though I'm on the mend, but I know the fatigue, and maybe skin issues too, could still reach out and smack me.  I finally have an appointment with my new MO.  It's not until 5/29 but I'm glad for a little longer break.

I've been following everyone's posts with great interest.  Those of you who were bracing yourselves for Mother's Day without your mothers, my heart was with you yesterday and I'm glad it's over.  I was glad to see the stories of happy Mother's Days too.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited May 2013

Kate-

I really enjoyed seeing you in the skirt! Its great and you look really good. Again this damn cancer had no idea who it was messing with, your kicking some a$$ and smiling. So nice to see :)

xoxo

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Lemon,

Your compliments are so sweet.

I am sending all positive vibes your way. So sorry you are in a funk right now, but you will get out of it. Seems like everything goes in cycles. Either things are very good or everything goes bad at once. It will turn around and I pray it turns around for you ASAP. God only knows you've had enough, and you need to feel better.

So nice that you do your own nails. They look nice and you save money to boot.

Hang in there it will get better

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Runfree,

So sorry that you have a cold. I am glad that your breast is doing better YEAH! Do NOT think about anything coming to smack you down. Please remove that from your thoughts. Everytime it pops up say STOP I will do fine. You will do well.

My chemo treatment went ok toiday. No nausea, fatigue etc. I have a little bit of a headache, but nothing to speak of. Right after chemo I went to my donut shop. I am now off of chemo till June 3. So excited that I don't have to go back until 3 weeks.

So sweet of you to think about me and ask about my chemo treatments I so much appreciate your support.

xoxo,

Kate

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

GiGil - Well I tried the drug combo but nothing. I am still really dizzy. I was really tempted to go to the ER this week end but the wait is so long. Trying to stick it out. Probably time for another brain MRI. Seem to get one ever other year to make sure I am ok.

I started PT yesterday for leg weakness and fatigue. My steroids have caused a lot of muscle loss. Usually I can keep up with it but after rads I hit a wall so my PCP mentioned some building back up and I am doing it.The guy really tired me out but I have to keep going. I go today also and then I am off the rest of the week. Just found out one of the cuts from my insurance is PT. So I can only get a month approved for steroid myatropy but really need about 3. They will approve me being put into a facility after 3 days in the hospital but not regular PT. Figure that one out. They would rather pay for full care in a facility for 3 mos than just going to a PT. Something is very wrong with that.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

I am so sorry you are not feeling well.Your insurance company being willing to pay for PT when you are in the hospital, and not regular PT is ridiculous. So sorry you can't go as many times as needed.

Hugs,

Kate

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

bunkie, i work in a rehab facility. It makes no sense for insurance to pay for this-it's very expensive, rather than home care, which is much cheaper. Is there a social worker at the hospital that you can work with? They are often good at figuring this out. Plus, I think the PT you get at home or outpatient is superior. If necessary, could you afford private pay? It's a lot, I know, but many pts will give you a deal. I can't believe your insurance can just cut your pt! I wish I could help!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, I have had PT where the therapist got a few sessions OK'd, then a few more.  They need to document your progress and, if there is indeed good progress, the insurance company authorizes that they continue.  If there is no progress, the money faucet shuts right off.  Is there any chance your company works this way, and that they will authorize another month or two if your doctor and your therapist insist you need more?