Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

Hi y'all!

Busy busy thread! I'm trying to get the condo ready to close for the season and do all follow up appointments too. DH is down with his cath&foley so I need to get off my duff and get stuff done. Today I must hit the stores no food and DH won't go out...Walmart Costco here I come...need to call for a cab for ride to airport...where's my list.

Kate - yippee! 3 wks off...no chemo:) luv the new skirt and top...you look so great...with that smile you attract everyone! Donut shop day? Hope the leg/foot shrinks down soon.

Josie&Lemon - the RX issue is a major panic attack going on in my head. I've always had adverse reactions to meds...yeah MO said do you want to be back here...well HELL NO then take the pill:(. Did cancer math and predict does not make a significant in life expectancy so...QOL...

RunFree - sorry about the cold and the skin. Mine looks good some pink some tan but the third boob better settle down. Gonna go see about a sleeve for my flight but wonder if the swelling is just inflamed girl.

Ok time to shower and hit the stores...I think the Gardner may help with all my patio furniture and umbrellas...now fill my paint buckets with water and haul into house...only 106 today ugh!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Hi Cindy,

OMG 106. I feel for you. Yesterday it was 85 here in Santa Monica, and I thought that was too hot lol. Please take it easy, you have so much going on.

Thank you so much for the compliments. I am smiling, in part, because of all the support I get, and your magic coat helped with that. I have a friend coming over for an hour or so, and then I will definitely go to the donut shop. My doctor said my leg and foot swelling will improve by the end of June, and I am ok with that. Just in time for my birthday 6/25. That will be the best birthday present I can get.

xoxo,

Kate

xoxo,

Kate

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2013

Checking in from work...missing everyone.
    OK - a few have told me I am taking on too much and it has now caught up with me...end of semester, giving finals, grading papers, doing grades...making a display from a photo contest I held; guys working at my house and won't finish until friday; making travel plans; and now I have a funeral 3 hours away and have to do an overnight.  All this in three days to come....
    This is a busy thread and I had a skip a little...
    Am going to get my hair done in an hour.  It will force me to sit still.  For me, Friday morning is mani-pedi day for sure!  I got a GC from DD for my favorite spa.
    I hope everyone is having a good day...
    I'll be "free" during the day soon, when there are no classes here.  My summer class looks like it won't run and that means my vacation $$ for the end of the summer.  growl.......but maybe I need to rest up a little.
    HUGS all around,

Joan

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Joan,

All I can say is try, try and try to take it a little slower.

Hugs,

Kate

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2013

Kate, thanks....next week is all free time and after that my schedule is great until next September. 
    You look good and I hope that your shorter treatments are being kind to you...hugs and prayers for you while dealing with that swelling...hope it's resolved.
    Back to work...

J

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Joan, So glad that next week for you is all free time. Try and rest just a little.

The shorter treatments are better for me. Chemo isn't bothering me, but the swelling is. It is only noon and my leg and foot are swollen to the max. It causes me to be very out of breath, and that is uncomfortable. I'll have to live with it for a while. My doctor said it may be the end of June when I get relief. As long as I know there will be relief I will be ok.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

OMG today my left leg and foot are very swollen too. Up till now it has only been my right leg and foot. Now it feels so much worse to walk, and i am getting very out of breath walking. I have sent my doctor an email to see if he expected my left leg to get swollen, or if this is unusual. I have been popping tylenol all day, and it still hurts. My doctor was seeing patients today, and then he will go home and have dinner, so I don't expect to hear from him until this evening

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Kate, maybe you should call your doctor and speak to him instead of waiting for him to answer his email? This sounds really tough, I wish you had someone there with you. Please let us know what he says, I will be thinking of you, hoping for you to get some relief.

Big gentle hugs

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Suzannah,

His office is closed, and I don't want to disturb him at home. I will hear from him tonight. I was at the donut shop and I just walked back one block, and it was unbearable. I was totally out of breath. I am trying to stay strong and upbeat, but this broke me down to tears. I will post when I hear from him. Thank you so much for the support I appreciate it.

xoxo,

Kate

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Kate, it would make anyone cry. I'm sure your doctor has everything under control and will have answers for you, and you'll be feeling so much better by the end of June at the latest....but I hate for you to feel so rotten now. Hang I there kiddo.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Thank you so much Suzannah

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

Hi y'all

Kate - sorry swelling in both legs&feet:( so happy no chemo til June:)

Joan - free time is a comin...summertime!

Today was a good day:). BS said my lx&snd looked good almost 4 mos post- op:). He said my skin looked amazing...for fair skin he was very pleasantly surprised...prayer:)

Visited special store purchased my first post-lx bra with a lx prosthesis to help my girl and got a tattoo diva compression sleeve for my flight home:). RO signs off tomorrow:). So happy...light packing tomorrow and lunch out with girlfriends. Hubby still resting with cath&foley ...ha! It's 106 today ugh...ready for lake time and my kayak buds:)

MOs RX filled....but waiting for Memorial Day for that step!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

Just got home a bit ago.  I drove 5 hours yesterday to see my granddaughter who is in kindergarten's spring program.  It was worth the drive.  I had an early dinner with DD and her two kids and then drove the 5 hours back home this evening.  I am tired, but glad I did it.  Joan and Cindy it sounds like you have been busy.  BUNKIE, sorry the meds haven't helped.  You are so innundaed with that mold, I think you would have to get away to have it help.  You have other things going on too.  sorry about that.  You should appeal your insurance company's decision in regard to the PT.  You should get a treatment beyond what they allow, have them deny it, and then file a formal appeal.   Use all of the logical argument you mentioned above in your appeal, pointing out how it makes no sense to agree to pay more for the same treatment because it is givien in a rehab facility.  That will be an internal appeal.  You will get a decision from insurance, which might be a second denial.  At that time you have the option to take them to small claims court.  Once you file the papers to do that, which you can do on your own and represent yourself, they will likely be willing to talk seriously about paying these charges.  This seems like an illogical decision in so many ways.  I used to do these appeals all of the time for our patients.  It is definitely worth a try to fight it.  Your PT might even be willing to help you with the appeal.

Kate, I am hoping you are getting care for your swollen legs.  It sounds like all of this is happening too fast.  There may be something going on that they can help you with, with meds.  Let us know how you are doing.  Thinking about you and sending positive energy and prayers.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

I Just heard from my doctor. He is ordering a ct scan for tomorrow to rule out a pelvis blood clot. Still very uncomfortable.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Cindy, the math doesn't add up for me either.  Pills are still sitting in the bottle.  I don't like doctors who use scare tactics instead of logic and actual analysis of the benefits/risks for the individual patient.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

Kate, I'm so sorry to hear this!   Such a tsouris!   Do you think you can wrangle some time with a lymphedema therapist while you are at the hospital today?  If the scan is negative for a blood clot, probably your MO will consider it safe to move some of that fluid up and out.  I know it will get better on its own in a few weeks, but for now, it is decidedly not improved, and not improving.  Enough already! 

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited May 2013

Hi all-

Just an update. My day (other than work) has been consumed with blood glucose checking (which kitty is not crazy about) making sure he eats, giving insulin and checking every little thing with another community which has been great (felinediabetes.com) and so have been cheating on you by hanging out there for a few days as I have to understand all of this.

Simon (my kitty) is getting used to all of it although I am exhausted. So, better run cause I have to give him his shot and head for the shower.

Talk at you later xoxoxox

Sew, love the nails!

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Cindy, what wonderful news, have fun today!

GiGi, glad you had a good visit with dd and grand. I think u gave excellent advise re pt for bunkie.

Kate, I like brookside's idea. So glad your doctor is following up, praying for a good result, let us know.

Working hard on staying positive about everything.

Xoxo

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Cindy,So glad that you are feeling well

Hi Gigil, So glad you had fun with your granddaughter. My doctor has not prescribed any pain meds, and up till yesterday I was fine with Tylenol.

Thank you both for your support

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Brookside,

Something has to give today. I have reached my limit of how much discomfort I can take. I will hear from my doctor this morning, and he will let me know the time and place for the ct scan. It may not be at a hospital. If this is not a pelvis blood clot I will go to the hospital er. I just can't come home in this much discomfort. If I go to er I will ask about a lymphedema therapist. In an email I sent my doctor this morning I  asked him if it is not a blood clot will he recommend a lymphedema therapist. Thanks for letting me know about it and thanks you for your support

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

April, Sorry you dad and kitty aren't feeling well.

Suzannah I am positively thrilled that you are working hard to think positive. Good for you. Thank you so much for your support

xoxo,

Kate

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2013

Hi, Kate,

I know I'm pushy, but I'm from Brooklyn, so it kind of goes with the territory.  If it were me, I'd do more than ask for a recommendation.  I'd very sweetly let him know that I'd be in his office immediately after the scan so he could see the extent of the lymphedema (usually you see him in the morning, I think, and it's bound to be worse toward the end of the day), and I'd very nicely beg him to get me an emergency appointment with a lymphedema therapist right now, today.  I'd also ask if maybe a couple of bursts of rads might shrink that nasty lymph node, or if injecting chemo directly into it would be a possibility.  The extra fluid/weight you've been hauling around is putting a strain on your body that can't be doing you any good.  If, on the other hand, I went to the ER, I'd do exactly the same there. 

Meanwhile, chin up, leg up, other leg up, peace!

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Kate, thinking about you today and hoping that you get some relief.

Gigi, it is so powerful to know the system.  I am returning to read your post later, when I have time.

April, this is harder on you than on you r kitty!  Your a good fur mama.

Hello to everyone else!  On the run to my first yoga class in a few years.  I'm sure my bones will be creaky!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Brookside,

I love New Yorkers, and being pushy can be good. I am from Chicago, and I am somewhat pushy, but not about my medical care. You are so right I need to be pushy. I just emailed doc again, and told him if it was not a blood clot I am going to ER, and also that I need a lymphedema therapist. I am going to DEMAND relief today, because I can't go on like this. After doc emails to tell me the time and place of the ct scan I will ask him about rads, and shooting chemo directly into the lymph node. Thanks so much for your intelligent advice and support.

Sab, thanks so much for your support

xoxo,

Kate

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2013

Yay, Kate!  Womanpower!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

My doctor just emailed and said someone from his oiffice will call me with the time and place of the scans. Besides a ct scan re pelvic lymph nodes he is also ordering a ct scan for my chest, because I am out of breath

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Answers will have to come today. I am having a pelvic CT scan at St. Johns hospital at noon today. I am having a CT scan of my chest right after that. If those are normal I will DEMAND other snswers. I can't drag around this heavy swollen leg any longer, without help. Thanks so much Brookside, woman power is the best, and today you are making me pushy to get answers, and that is great. Again thanks so much for your intelligent advice.

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Go Kate! Let us know what you find out.

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Kate, with as much pain and worry as you're in now, I can't tell how much it means to me that u took the time to encourage me.

Brookside's advice sounds so sensible-enough is enough. I want her with me if I have a medical crisis!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Thanks for your support Gigil and Suzannah

Suzannah I can't begin to tell you how proud of you I am for taking a step to start thinking positive. Us ladies need woman power, and to support one another no matter what. Don't be hard on yourself if you slip backwards again. That may happen. As long as you pick yourself back up and tell yourself that you will be fine, and start thinking positive once again. You are right about Brookside. She is one smart cookie, and I wish she could come with me to the hospital today. I will have her support, and I will be totally PUSHY to get answers. Enough is enough. After my CT scans I will post when I know the results. Not sure if they will tell me or if I have to wait for a call or email from doc.