Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

BUNKIE you are one tough cookie, going to PT when you were not feeling well, I hope you do fight insurance. Their rules are just dumb. It sounds like you are dealing with lots of fumes along with the mold. Mold just gets to me! Isn't there some sort of environmentally safe way to get rid of the mold in the basement? That would do you so much good.

Kate hope you are elevating and relaxing some. Are you watching American Idol?

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Hi Janis, So glad you granddog is tolerating chemo well.

Gigil Idol starts here in an hour and a half. I am so much praying for Kree. Don't say anthing about the show till my show ends at 10 pst.

Lemon thanks so much for your support

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Kate that is why I have stayed mum! Enjoy!

SAB. A piñata with chocolate treats will be perfect!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Kate I'm so sorry to hear how bad the swelling and pain was in your leg.I havent picked up my kindle in 3 days.I'm sorry I've missed so much.I hope they find out why your leg is so swollen.

Janis I'm so sorry to hear about your sons dog.Hopefully he will prove the vet wrong and way out live his expectations.There's really no real way for a vet or a doctor to put a time limit on your life or the life of an animal.Will is a fighter mainly because of the love he feels from his human family.I'm pulling for him.

BUNKIE I hope you can get the PT you need.I hope your dizziness gets better.

Kim(lemon) I just finished his sentence for him(my BS)He just said "if you don't take it and down the road you get cancer again....."And I finished the sentence for him.But he is the one that said "its a no brainer .Hang in there kiddo Your a braver soul than I am.I still haven't opened that bottle of pills.

Cindy Your one busy teacher.I hope you can rest this summer!!

I went to the ballgame last night with my youngest DD.It was her first game and we took the metro link kind of like the subway but not underground.It was great we won the game too.We had box seats. My company I work for gives everybody 2tickets yearly.

I took a picture with my daughter's phone If I can just figure out how to download it off the phone.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Thank you Gigil. I am so much looking forward to the show. It starts in 50 minutes

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Josie, So glad you enjoyed the ballgame. Can;t wait to see the photo. Thanks for your support.

Hugs,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

So entirely sick of Randy Jackson trying to push Candace as the winner. I truly didn't like Candace at all on the first song, and I didn't like the song Beautiful. I loved Kree on her first song Angels. I loved the song all cried out. I liked both of them on the third song. Kree is such a nice person  that she won the coin toss, and chose to sing first. OMG second is the better slot. Come on America make it a Kreedom night tomorrow night. I am tired, but now I need to dial for Kree for 2 hours 

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Kree is such a sweet soul.  I loved her first song too.  That song always gives me chills.  It was sang at my brother's funeral.  I can hardly listen to it, yet I did like the way she did it.  It will be interesting to see who wins.  There are no losers at this point.  They will both do well.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

I have been working with my mothers cookbook collection all day.  Picking one out for each daughter and granddaughter and great-granddaughter.  It is hard looking at my mom's handwritten recipes tucked into some of the books.  She loved her cookbooks and was a wonderful cook.  She would pore over her cookbooks and cook a delicious meal for anyone who wanted to come for Sunday dinner.  It has been painful for me.  I wanted to keep them all, but I also have a huge cookbook collection and my kitchen won't allow it.  Besides, I am the executor of her estate and I need to share these things with future generations.  Finding myself a bit wrung out tonight after working with this today.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

GiGi, your mom sounds like she was a lovely woman, with her collection of cookbooks and love of cooking, and I love the idea of each daughter, grand and great grand getting one. It was so painful for me to go through my mom's beloved possessions. I get a lot of pleasure from seeing the gifts she gave me over the years around my home.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2013

GigiL It is a wonderful legacy to hand down to the younger generation.  My mom was not much into cooking, but then, neither was her mom.  My mom however was amazing at knitting and sewing and neeedlework.  So many of these things are dying out with the newer generations.  You daughters and granddaughters will appreciate all your work.  Save every one of those hand written recipes tucked between the pages.  Talk about a treasure!

Susannah the loss is so hard I know, but you are lucky to have memories and mementos.

Special hugs sweet girls. 

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

Janis - I am so sorry to hear about Will but at least he is handling the chemo. Animals are really tuff you know. I had to put my moms dog down after she got dementia because he was so old and sick and she did not remember him. It was a tuff decision. I wanted to get another but with all my health issues and taking off in the winters I decided to wait. They really are like children.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

A big smile and hug to all of you who bring your Mom's spirits alive by sharing them with the next generation. Janis and Gigi, Susannah, I know it is bitterweet to see their things, but what good fortune each of us has had to be the daughters of these beautiful women.  It inspires me to want to be a better parent!  I also sometimes hear my mom saying (in her Hungarian accent) "You tried your best bubalah" when I am not the person I want to be.

Oh ladies, I went back to the gym this week and I am rediscovering muscles that have been unused for a couple of years.  Ouch, ouch, ouch. 

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

So sorry that your brother passed away. Also sorry that you were sad after going through your Mom's cookbooks. How wonderful that she was such a good cook.

I am so looking forward to American Idol results tonight. Candace is predicted to win, but I am praying for a Kree upset. Besides having a gorgeous voice Kree seems like she is such a nice person.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Sab,

I love your mom saying "bubalah". My mother died when she was 66, but I can still hear her saying some yiddish words and expressions.

Janis, I am thinking about you, and hope the stomach scope is over as quickly as possible, and that all is well. I bought your chicken fajitas, and that should go well with the margarita's and other goodies that Gigil is bringing.

Hugs,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

I am so grateful my cat scans were normal, but I am still so very swollen. Yesterday Kelly( my friend at the donut shop) and I walked 2 blocks to get powerball tickets and the walk was unbearable for me, and I was totally out of breath. Have any of you ever worn compression stockings, and do you think it will help? I don't think my doctor cares for lymphydema therapists, because he avoids the question. I do want to assure you that my doctor is one of the finest. A graduate from Harvard that other doctors think  is the smartest. Also one of the most compassionate people I ever met in my life. He is saying that it is like the ugly cancer cells are fighting back with the chemo, because they don't want to be killed, and by the end of June the chemo will win, and I will have relief. The question is how do I cope with this till the end of June. At the hospital I mentioned my leg to a staff member, and they felt so bad about it. Without asking him, he dragged a chair from another part of the hospital so I could elevate my foot. It is swollen ugly. The hardest part is my foot. I can't bend my toes.

• justmejanis
    edited May 2013

Kate I would think the stockings might help.  I know I have had to wear them after abdominal surgery.  TED Hose...they prevent blood clots.  I think they would help but please just ask your doctor to be on the safe side.  I would think they would give you some much needed relief.  My sister is an oncology nurse in Denver, she calls me usually every day.  I will ask when she calls to get her opinion.  She is at work now. 

My endoscopy went well.  I have a haital hernia but no treatment required for now.  He does want me to take two different acid blockers, both Prilosec and also Protonix.  He did a biopsy on some inflammation in the stomach lining but didn't think it looked scary.  Yippee!  I finally got my coffee, several hours late but boy did it taste great.

Bunkie, I just hope things get much better for you.  Thanks for your thoughts about Will.  I think pets are so healing emotionally.  I can't imagine not hugging my critters all day!

SAB.....okay, c'mon, motivate me!  I need to exercise so bad.  Good for you.  Yeah those old muscles really start to complain.  Mine just need a workout.  Since my knee has gone south I feel like such a slug.  I miss my long daily walks, so do the 'boyz'.....Murphy and Sampson.  Golden's love to run.  Or walk.  :)

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Janis,

So glad your stomach scope went well. Too early for margirata's, but in  about 4 hours margarita's and chicken fajitas.

Thanks so much for much for asking your sister nurse about me.

Sab, While you are motivating Janis for exercise please motivate me too.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

typo margarita's

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

Kate, please tell you doctor you cannot fit your jeans or bend your toes.  It is my guess that he does not understand how swollen your leg is, or how much this concerns you (and me, and some of the others!).  As you know, pushy me would be squawking for an emergency appointment (not an appointment, but an emergency appointment) with a lymphedema therapist, today or a reason why it might not be advisable.   If I understand correctly, this fluid might compress your blood vessels.  Perhaps the reason for your breathlessness?  Also, there is a lymphedema thread on this website.  Perhaps someone there can give you some suggestions.  Meanwhile, I trust your leg is up on the back of the couch or a nearby chair this very minute, right?

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Well I had a scary moment today. I had a friend take me to the store so I could get a few things. I was really dizzy this morning partly because I went into the den and opened the window. I was only in there a few minutes but could feel the affect. Anyway I seemed ok except for the dizzies and went into the store. I admit I was moving a bit fast but I was sneaking in a little work out walk too. About 5 minutes into the shopping I felt this real fatigue come over me and my chest felt heavy...short of breath. I was thinking maybe an asthma attack but I ignored it. I had my inhaler but it felt different than the usual. I cut the shopping short and as I was standing in line to pay I was feeling almost faint. My pulse was going and my knees were weak. I kept telling myself I could do it and stayed with it. When I got in the car I felt a bit better but after I got home and slowly put away the food I came upstairs and started crying. No idea why but I finally think I had a panic attack after the dizzy/out of breath thing. Anyway I came home and went to bed for an hour and now seem better. Maybe I am just tired today and the fumes and walking made it worst. If it happens again I will call the dr or go to the ER but I refuse to go if I do not need to. Too many times I have been there with a Valium and a breathing treatment for hours only to be sent home because all the vitals and blood work are normal.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Janis - glad the scope went well. I have to go to my PCP again in two weeks for the referral but I know I am going to be next. My stomach has not been right since my GB surgery but after rads it really got bad.

Were you under?

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Brookside,

I saw my doctor last Friday, and it was quite swollen then, but it is more swollen now. He was so busy yesterday that he hasn't answered my emails after the ct scans. I think you are right that he doesn't understand how uncomfortable it is, but medically he does not think it is dangerous because clots and other stuff have been ruled out. Since he avoided my question about lymphydema therapists I don't think he recommends them.I sent him another email today telling him how uncomfortable I am, and does he think he needs to look at my leg before June 14, my next appointment. I am elevating my leg every chance I get. Today I have to the grocery, and that will aggravate it again. Thanks so much for your support.

xoxo,

Kate

• justmejanis
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, aw Sweetie.  I am so so sorry about that attack.  It could have been a panic attack for sure.  Oh I wish I had been there to help you through it.  I am glad the nap helped but please be extra vigilant today.  Listen to your body and try to remember if it happens again....slow deep breaths and sit before falling.  It is hard to think clearly when you are terrified like that, and I sure hope it does not happen again.

They used Propofol and Versed for the procedure.  I was out a very short time, less than 15 minutes.  The doctor said the actual procedure takes just about 6 minutes.  I went into the procedure room about 8:20.  I was up and dressed and out the door by 9:00.

Kate I can't wait to raise my margaritia glass in a toast with all of you.  Can't wait for the fajitas. YUM!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

So sorry that you got so dizzy and had a panic attack. So glad you rested and are feeling better now.

xoxo,

Kate

• SAB
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, that must have been scary.  Glad you are feeling a bit better.  Are you hydrating enough?  Sometimes something as simple as dehydration can cause those symptoms as well.  Of course, you have some medical history, but if it felt different it might be different.  

Janis, I am happy for your good results, but now the question is if there is nothing there why can't you get some relief?  I hope the new combination of meds is helpful.  I know lots of gals on the thread will be watching with interest, as there are quite a few who have digestive issues.

Kate, so sorry you are still struggling with swelling.  Maybe emailing a photo to the doctor would help?

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, like SAB said, I'm not a doctor, but it does sound like you had a panic reaction to feeling faint and sort of breath. I also know how important it is to hydrate, and I know this can cause fainting. So scary for you, but I know you will get through this. You are tuff!

Janis, glad the scope was ok.for me propofol was the best part!

SAB, you' e inspired me.

Gong to a presentation tonite about ovarian cancer, I promised to go with a friend. Dreading it-I hate to stir up frightening feelings.

• kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited May 2013

Hello Ladies:  I've been away from here for quite a while.  I have past my 1 year cancer free mark.  Just had an MRI that states all looks stable.  Been busy with work and life and feeling good about this cancer behind me for now. 

Wanted to ask a few of you, what would you do?  My cancer was originally misdiagnosed, and for two years after learning of the tumor and the botched surgical procedure to remove it for biopsy, wherein the surgeon totally missed it, I did not know it was still in my breast until 18 months later when I had an MRI and the tumor was still there.  And yet the surgeon still insisted that it was benign based on pathology.  Yeah, it was benign, because normal tissue was sent to pathology you dumb ass.  (Sorry, can't let that part of my journey go yet).  Another surgeon finally removed it.  So now I am 1 year cancer free but I have a fibroadenoma in my other breast that I have had for about 9 years.  I want to remove it for piece of mind, but it is benign and not sure if I need to.  I guess my piece of mind would be because I walked around with cancer, could a cell or 2 have gone walk-a-bout.  I have done alot of research and have not found one case where a fibroadenoma became cancer.  But maybe someone on this site may have other info for me.

What would you do?

P.S.  not sure if I can read all that I have missed for many, many months.  but always know that I think of all that have journeys of their own and see alot of you ladies are still hanging in there.

• SAB
    edited May 2013

Susannah, how lovely of you to go support your friend.

King, Nice to see you.  I'm so sorry that you're struggling with your decision.  Honestly I can't advise you...not educated enough.  Maybe someone else can.  I just wanted to say hello and Happy Cancerversary!  Congrats! Yes, a number of us are still here...it has helped a great deal to have these sisters and their unique perspective on the ups and downs of our new normal. And occassionally we can provide info to some new sisters who might come along.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Sab, taking a photo of my leg and sending it to my dr is a great idea. Thank you.

King, I don't really know about it, but I would go to three different doctors to get their opinions. Sorry you are struggling with this, but glad you passed your 1 year anniversary with flying colors