Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Gigi, Susannah, I bought a cheap rice cooker for $29 at Costco, but so far it has worked well...I'm happy for now.  No bells and whistles but it has white rice, brown rice and quick rice settings as well as a slow cooker function and a delay. My friend also bought one at Costco for $89 and he is in love with it.  I didn't want to spend more until I knew I like using one.  Then I will give this one to my dd and step up to the better model with a nicer display, better measuring, better alerts, etc.. Yes, I would buy it again.  It cooks all kinds of grains, no stirring, no burning so far, just push the button and forget about it. My kind of cooking!

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Thanks GiGil, I'm going to take your advice.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

Ha, not to be a total smart a##, but the way I cook rice is to have my DH do it. He makes perfect brown rice. Easier than pushing a button even..lol

On a more serious note...anyone else having trouble getting their white and red blood counts back in the normal range? Mine went bad last Oct, when I got a serious skin reaction from apparently Prolia. They could have been low before that, but no one was testing me. I was slowly moving back to the normal range since then and looking just almost "normal" and whoops....they all went low again, including WBC, RBC, HGB, HCT and NEU. Bummer. The low RBC/anemia I've been able to work thru, but what the heck? My MO is going to test vit b and some hepatitis testing and an ultrasound on my neck because of previous thyroid issues and current sore throats.....but ....DAMN.... I'm ready to be better. I might understand some of this if I had had chemo, but I didn't. I'm not used to feeling tired......what they heck is that old time add for tired blood? I need some!

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Sab, so glad to hear your eye shadows are nothing to worry about....we love getting the all clear signal!

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Sew, I'm sorry you have to go through tests again.  What a pain!  Hopefully it will be another "all clear" soon.  My blood levels have bounced around, but not enough to pursue at this time.  Oh, and good one on the rice cooker...

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

The first rice cooker I had was made of thin metal, and I think it only cost $15.  The one I have now isn't really fancy, just bigger and made of plastic, more lined on the outside.

My blood work tanked after radiation.  It took awhile to come back.  My thyroid hormone was almost at the bottom level.  My thyroid gland petered out for awhile.  I have been hypothyroid for a long time, but rads really kicked it in the butt.  My vitamin d levels were also almost at the bottom.  It was almost freakish.  It scared me terribly, but my CBC and thyroid (TSH) came back to normal within several months. 

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Sab, glad to hear someone else is bouncing around....misery loves company you know....thanks,makes me feel more normal! Who'd have thought getting BC would lead to these other issues anyway?

Gigil, glad your numbers got back on track. I thought mine were too. Sort of wish this appt didn't coincide with yet another sore throat.....I'm going to decide that that's what threw them off on the hopes that wishful thinking will cure this mess. Thanks for the quick response...

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2013

SAB, your post is a good reminder that we should check out things that don't seem right...I tend to tough it out...but it helps the PCP and MO to have a big picture of what is going on.  glad you got the eye issues checked.

Sew, do you rely on your MO to keep up with your levels or do you also go to PCP?  I have to remind myself that not everything is BC- or meds-related.  I hope you get this resolved and turn the corner...I know you want to feel better.

Cindy, sounds like a wonderful visit with DD.  Does she live far (I can't remember)...Time together doing simple things is the best.  So glad you are positive about your birthday coming up.  Birthdays are everything!

Josie, thinking of you and the wonderful graduation event...what a wonderful time for you....and sorry that you have the sadness of your FIL's poor health.  I hope and pray he has many good family times ahead.

Back to work today....easy day....was a little bummed out that my course is canceled; and that I did not "bump" people for an assistant position...I just have to adjust and accept.  Maybe my summer project will be getting rid of closets full of clothes (join me, Gigi)...maybe open an eBay account. 

Shocked to see that I gained lbs. over the last few weeks.  Not sure why-I thought i kept active while away.  Guess my dining was more intense than my hiking.Cool

• gigil
    edited May 2013

I even already have an eBay account Joan.  That is a great idea.  I even know how to use it now.  When I set it up, I was a computer rookie.  Now I can maybe sell some of the good stuff that I have here - namely cool craft tools that I never had the time or focus to put to good use.  I might as well clean out the craft cupboards and the clothes closets while I am at it.  

My mother left behind a huge collection of cookbooks.  I have a huge collection of my own.  I decided to give one of her cookbooks to each daughter, granddaughter, great grandaughter in the family.  Some of them have her handwritten notations in them.  Some have a handwritten recipe tucked in.  I went out to mail some of them today to the girls that are in Boston and Okalahoma City.  By the time I had paid the postage, it cost me $45 to mail them!!  Oh well, my mom would be pleased.  There have been some sweet coincidences with the ones I have handed out.  One of my sisters absoutely loves rhubarb and all things baked with it.  In her cookbook was a handwritten recipe for the rhubarb crunch cake that my mom always baked.  I am quite sure my mom made sure she got that.  I literally spent the whole day thinking about which recipe book to give each woman.  It was kind of a tough day for me.  I remembered my mom on any given Sunday poring over her cookbooks and making up the day's menu.  She loved to cook for her family.  When we were in town, it was a joy to eat her cooking.  She passed it on to me.  I love cooking for the people in my family too, although I don't do it as much  None of us need the calories, sadly.  Holidays or celebrations are a different story!  

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2013

Gigi, your time and your postage are well-spent. 
    My cookbooks have not only hand-written recipes, but a sampling of all the ingredients splattered here and there....not sure I can pass them on.
    I want to make an electronic cookbook with our favorites and hope my DDs will add theirs...Every year I plan to do it for the holidays and then I do not get it organized.
    Still, it is almost impossible for me to get rid of my mom's cookbooks.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Joan, I kept the cookbook for myself with a lot of her handwritten recipes and clippings in it.  I just couldn't part with that one.  The ones I have passed along however, were deeply appreciated.  Everyone loved her cooking and her recipes.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

Ha Ha! Eat my rice out! Hubby burns hard boil eggs and the pot!

My natural oncologist who does intergrated care with my MO group has me on:

OncoQOL - VitaQOL 2 a day to get my system up to snufff and Biogenesis Stress Factor 1 a day to calm my nerves...thought I was having a panic attack when MO wanted to know if I wanted AI or Tamoxifen first...my choice is none of the above...but I'll go AI first...strokes on both sides ugh.

Will do full blood panel in 6 mos...so until this is it. Anyone doing TCM meridian and healing gate exercises? Add that to my list...playing the odds but not at Vegas ha!

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

GiGi, I totally get why that would be emotional.  I adore cookbooks and old recipes.  Recipes are so intimate and full of potential--they are another thing I have a hard time getting rid of.  I love finding my grandmother's old recipes, especially in her handwriting.  My stepfather, born in 1930, came over from Germany as a boy, and I also knew his mother, who lived to be 94.  She had a wonderful old handwritten recipe book that I was able to go through with my stepfather before he died.  One idea for you: if you think any of your mother's cookbooks would have historic value, maybe you could donate them to a library or college (and get a tax deduction in addition to contributing to knowledge).  Food history is kind of "in."  The Schlesinger Library at Radcliffe (part of Harvard) has a huge collection of historic cookbooks, but it might be hard to come up with something they don't already have.  However, other repositories might also really like them.  Then again, you could sell them and use the money to buy more cookbooks! 

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Joan, ditto what I said to GiGi about it being emotional--our posts crossed in the mail!

• gigil
    edited May 2013

RunFree I think somewhere in my collection I have a cookbook of some real antique recipes.  I often wondered how to modify them to the products we use today.  I will have to see if I can find that.  I also have Native American recipes that are passed down through the generations.  My father is 1/2 Native American.  His mother was Native American and French, and his father was a French trapper.  I have collected a lot of those ethnic recipes.  I cooked some of them for my father on New Years.  There is a special meatball and potato stew that is tradition for New Years, and they had raisin pie for dessert.  I have never been able to make a decent pie crust.  That is my one challenge.

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Hi Joan, Normally my PCP handles thing for me, exams, thyroid tests, cholesterol etc. etc. the MO took over CBC counts when my body went whacko from Prolia, which the PCP knew nothing about. Mo Has been watching since then, and if it had continued improving this time, I'm sure I would have gone back to PCP follow-ups. Guess now there's a minor question about some bone marrow problems but I don't think that's the problem. I don't think the MO thinks it is either, but guess he had to mention it.

Cindy, you know I'm not doing integrative medicine, although I do eat a very good diet. If this keeps up I think I'll look in to it. I'd just prefer to get on with my life without the supplements, if possible. If I end up going that route, I'll check in with you, thanks.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Cindy what are TCM meridian and healing gate exercises?  I do qigong and also get some acupuncture.  I also meditate every day and work on manifesting good health and healthy breasts!!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

GiGil - this site has suggested books...Traditional Chinese Medicine: A Woman's Guide to Healing from Breast Cancer. I figured if my BC center offered meditation, qigong, nutrition, massage, and more there must be something to blending it all together.

Also a GF is a Dr from China and for many years she has spoken of blending E&W.

Figured I would arm myself with all tools...fierce warrior.

But boy do I miss TX BBQ and now forever will be the designated driver for Hill Country wine tasting. Small price to love healthy and happy to 100!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Hello everyone.Thanks for all the kind words about my FIL.I was kind of sad last night after dinner again at their house.

Sew sorry to hear about your blood work.I almost hate to tell you my blood work came out great .Doc said everything was normal.I thought for sure I was anemic but nope that was even normal.

Graduation was great but we really missed Joe.My mother in law had roses for Sarah and took plenty of pics.I cried it was very emotional for me.We went through a lot with her and she prevailed and graduated anyway.It was a small ceremony kind of nice though.She was disappointed that her brother wouldn't come.He's not much on crowds.She won't forgive him too soon.

I don't think he realized how important it was for him to be there for his sister's sake.

We went to Applebee for dinner after.I never drink but tonight I had a drink.It was called a summer breeze.Kind of like a strawberry frozen drink.

I'll try to post pics soon.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Josie, so glad you had a nice evening.  Having dealt with kids on the spectrum, I know it is really hard for them to tune into someone else's feelings.  That doesn't mean they shouldn't be reminded though right?  Sounds like your daughter is going to do that.  Ha! Ha!  You must have been swelling with pride watching your daughter go through her graduation ceremony.  And then you were also feeling the absence of your father in law.  Mixed emotions all around.  You deserve a summer breeze, my dear.  

Cindy, I have an integrative medicine doc right in my house!!  He took a fellowship with Andrew Weil at the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine a few years back.  That is going to be his retirement job.  We are actually working on setting up a small clinic just to wade into it.  Things have been on hold for us since I went through the bc, then husband had to  have a laser surgery for prostate, father had a huge surgery for gallbladder and then my mom's surgery and subsequent death.  We are just talking again about where, how and when.  He is currently working ER, but his first love is Integrative medicine.  He says it will be good to work with a very motivated patient population.  I can see his point.  We both believe in E+W.  The eastern countries like China and India have been using herbal medicine for thousands of years.  There is a lot to it.  And energy medicine has shown its benefits to me many times.  I have been able to self heal from some pretty miserable situations.  

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Josie, I'm quite glad to hear your blood work was normal......we LOVE normal! Anyway, you've got enough things to do than mess with this kind of issue. Your daughter's graduation ceremony and celebration sounds just perfect. I think she'll understand Joes reluctance to attend...she just needs to chide him for it right now. Of course it was emotional for you, this is a big milestone. Kind of like the first day of kindergarten....that was just yesterday, right?

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Hi Josie,

Congratualations. So glad you had a drink to relax, and so glad the graduation was great.

xoxo,

Kate

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Thanks for the congrats everyone!!I may have woke up with a killer headache this am.I don't think one drink would have caused that.Probably just the weather.It's better already since my coffee is kicking in and I will drink plenty of H2o today too.

Science gal ,my FIL looked into the bone marrow transplant at the Siteman Center.They said he wasn't a candidate for this yet at his stage(1) of the cancer.He is 70yrs old and age doesn't seem to be a factor for this transplant they just said

It was early in the disease for that yet.

This was a while ago and he wasn't in near as much pain as he is now.They explained that their is only stage 1 and the next stage is 2 which is kidney failure.All they did was increase his meds recently(yesterday)They're supposed to do labs on him again too.

Better get moving so I can get to work.Have a great day everyone.

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited May 2013

Josie I used to work at siteman cancer center when I lived in ST Louis- wonderful place. Dr. John DiPersio is the one you want to try to see if you do go back. He was my boss there and is amazing. BEST of luck to your Father-in-law.

Gigi your grandson is in the right place- they are very innovative. I am sorry he can't get into the current trials but hopefully the next one. My heart goes out to him and your daughter. And YOU!

Rice cookers- I havent had one since college and I live in Northern CA with all of this lovely long grain rice. I need to get one!

Sew, good luck with your blood counts, we are rooting for you. This crazy roller coaster we are all on, makes "regular life"pretty tough sometimes, indeed.

Healing thoughts to all!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2013

Hi everyone!  I haven't been here in awhile and it would be impossible to try to address everyone.  You have all been so busy and the thread moves so fast.  Congrats Josie on your daughter's graduation!  It wounds like a really wonderful celebration and she exceeded expectations.  How great is that?  Good for her!

What a wonderful opportunity Sew and Joan and Sab had.  I would have loved to have spent the day with you.  That is wonderful, as sistas we share such a bond and I would love to meet any of you.  Hugs would abound!

Sew, I am sorry the blood work is out of whack.  Hopefully that will get on track real soon and also that you can find out why it is all over the map.

Gigil how I envy all the cookbooks and the memories the evoke.  I did not grow up with women who cooked.  I think my grandmother was an early trailblazer for non traditional women.  She graduated from nurshing school in Boston on the 1920's and was a working mother to her three kids.  She also took in my Mom's best friend Gladys when it was discovered that her father was sexually abusing her.  No law, she made ot clear Gladys was moving in and he no longer would see her.  Her mother had been a drug addict and died of an overdose.  Grandma was my hero, but domestic she was not!  She could boil really good hot dogs!  My mom was also a working mom and with four kids and a very picky husband she was not inspired to be creative.  My dad would eat no ethnic food ever, no sauces or gravies or casseroles.  Not really meat and potatoes as he is not a big potato fan.  No pasta.  I know my mom loved all food and cooking just became a huge chore for her.  I have a couple ol cookbooks from my great aunt but no hand written cards tucked in the pages.  You are well blessed to have the books, all of you who are lucky enough to have those wonderful memories.

My stepson Russ came to visit over the long weekend.  He is 38 and such a doll.  He lives in Seattle and drove, getting here Friday night.  I warned him to be careful as he was driving his Porsche....well, he got a speeding ticket in Oregon!  He was a tad upset.  It was no surprise to us.  Boys and their toys!  We had such a great visit, he took us out for breakfast and dinner, I made potato salad one day and we grilled burgers and corn on the cob.  He absolutely loves my marzipan so we made a batch before he came.  He went through most of it, so we made another batch Monday for him to take home yesterday. 

Kate it sounds like you are doing well and I am happy to hear it.  Keep up that positive attutide and don't forget you have us all rallying for you.  Hugs!

Against my better judgement I had another series of injections yesterday for my neck.  I have had a series of four steroid injections, with two recently.  I saw my doctor last week and told him I was done with the injections, they don't help.  He wanted me to go through a different series of injections that are strictly numbing meds.  It is a diagnostic test.  After the injections I have to chart my pain level over the next few hours, then days.  I had my appointment at the hospital yesterday early morning.  The doctor came in before the procedure and explained that it would be uncomfortable.  Well that turned out to be an understatement.  It was really miserable.  It felt like he was jamming railroad spikes through my neck in slow motion.  You have to lie flat on your stomach and tuck your hands under your hips.  I believe this is so your arms aren't free to belt the doctor.  It took forever.  It was pretty miserable.  After I was back in the prep area the nurse told me to get dressed I was free to go.  I couldn't wait to get out of there.  The hospital is about 20 miles from here and we were about halfway home when my arm was bothering me.  I went to rub the area and realized I still had my IV port in!  Had to take the next exit and turn around and go back.  Of course they were very prompt at removing it and apologized profusely.  No harm done just an inconvenience.  Rough morning for sure.  Then I had a really hard time trying to decide my pain level.  DH said the back of my neck has all these bruises where the needles went it.  My neck was so sore from all the pressure it took to ram those needles in.  I did my best.  I think they helped some just unsure how much.  If I get enough relief from this test then they want to go in and do an ablation on these nerves.  I think I'll need morphine first!

I am sorry I missed so much, but I do read when I have time to check on everyone.  Joan, Sew, thanks for asking about me.  All is well. 

Big hugs to everyone!  Much love too.  You are all in my thoughts!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Janis,

It is good to hear from you. We were worried about you, because you had not posted for a while. So glad you had a visit from your stepson, and enjoyed the long weekend with him. So sorry you are still having neck problems. The tests you took sound awful, and I hope you never have to go through that again.

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Janis, so good to hear from you, and so sorry about the misery you went through yesterday! It sounds absolutely brutal! I hope it helps. There is nothing worse than neck pain. If it turns out that an ablation will work, that would be good. I think you are right. You have to lie on your hands, so you don't lash out when they inject you. It makes me cringe just thinking about it!

My mom was a telephone operator on those old plug in phone boards. She went to work every day in a crisp shirt dress, high heels, and an updo. Those operators knew everything going on in town! I was the oldest and in charge of getting dinner in the oven or on the stove, and we kids (three girls) were to have the house cleaned by 5. When she turned 50 she went to nursing school, and worked at it until a year before she died at age 80. I guess that is how and why I learned to cook. She was a real dynamo as I look back. I don't cook such great foods these days, we can't eat that way, darn it!

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Janis,  Good to hear from you.  I was about to send out the dogs!  Geeze, that procedure sounds absolutely horrible.  Amazing that they would do this, bruise your neck terribly and then expect you to track the pain!  I think it's a test.  They want to make sure you've got some pain (the bruises) so you can track it., tehehe.  I guess I hope it works, however if you have to have this done often, it sounds positively miserable.  So, with all that, what's happened with your knee?  Is it at least usable yet?  Hate to say this, pal, but give me wacky blood work and simple ultra sounds any day!  Do get better though. 

All this cookbook talk is interesting.  I come from a family that cooked by the "seat of their pants" I guess, as collecting cookbooks just wasn't what they did.  Word of mouth and some index cards.  Fanny Farmer was the best loved book, well marked.  When I made my first household my Mom wrote out all my favorite recipes on index cards for me, and I love having those cards.  I even have one which lists how long to cook roasts, and turkey's etc. based on weight and oven temp.  I think the other inhibitor to my Mom buying cookbooks was the depression era my mom was raised in and the general lack of money for "perks" as it were when we were young.  The best recipe from my Granny was her hot fudge topping for ice cream.  My sister has taken on the role of creating that for us at family gatherings and we all remember it well.  So, enjoy those books ladies, and the notes, and the memories.  How about scanning some of the more pertinent pages, and storing them on your computer and letting the book go?  Might be one way to declutter. 

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Today is the day I am meeting a friend for lunch that I have not seen since high school graduation. It will be especially weird to see her, because of my cancer, and swollen foot, and leg. I hope she doesn't think I am a fat cow now. I have always been a little petitie thing, but since I quit smoking two and a half years ago I  have gained weight. I can only make plans with people on my week off of chemo, so this seemed like the perfect time to meet. I want to have as much fun as I can before my 5 hour chemo treatment Monday. That will be a rough week for me.

I was supposed to go out with my doctor friend Friday, to Malibu, but now I don't know. She emailed me last night to let me know that she injured her right shoulder, and can't use her right hand. She is going to the doctor today, and I am praying for her not to need surgery.  She must be able to use her right hand because she is a rightie, and a surgeon.

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Kate, hope you enjoy your meeting with your old friend. I had a high school class reunion last year. I fretted about my weight and what I would wear. It turned out most of the guys were bald and/or overweight and most of the women were in the same boat I was. It all comes out in the wash, as they say. Just savor the day. You have a beautiful spirit that outshines everything, and you are a lovely woman!