Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Thanks kate!

GiGil,, my daughter and I were just speaking on the phone, and we both agreed that my son Thomas is one of the happiest people we know. Thanks for telling me about your uncles.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Gigil, that as so touching yo hear about your uncle Jack.Thanks for sharing I'm glad you got to go out with your Father and sister.

Science gal I'm glad your Grandpa was able to make it through his service to our country alive and retire at home.

Susannah I'm glad you had your son home for a few days.That's great.Your right Autistics always seem pretty happy.I think that is great at least they don't have stress like we do.My son seems pretty oblivious at times to the rest of the world but just when you think he's not paying attention he surprises everyone with a update on today's top headlines.Shocks the heck out of his teachers teachers sometimes.

We went fishing again today .Guess who caught the biggest fish ? You guessed it me.My DH had to work so my DD talked me into going again.

It was just her and I, well and the rest of the families fishing around us.Claire caught about 3 fish.

About 1 1/2 hours later she was bored so I sent her up to the playground to play after she baited my hook.Well the minute Icasted in the water I caught a big bass.To bad it was catch and release pond or I would have so kept it.At least we took some pics on my phone.Then I had to throw it back.Who says girls can't fish.I got a big kick out of this woman and her 3 kids fishing.Well 2 were fishing #3 was just a toddler and those kids were catching fish like crazy.These were big bass.She would calmly grab a towel and wrap it around the fish release the fish while her son watches the baby.What a good mom.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Josie, So glad you had so much fun fishing. It sounds like fun.

xoxo,

Kate

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

GiGi, that's an amazing story about your uncle.  I've heard of boys lying to get into the service at 17, but 14!!!  Then he signed up again!  And he died with your baby picture in his pocket, and your mom just a kid herself, wow, it's all really powerful.  He must have been so excited about you being born, and looking forward to getting to know you and watch you grow--sorry, I'm probably making you sadder.  It's just a very moving story.

Joan, I could be up for a northeast meetup too!  I'm farther north and east than Brookside though.

Susannah, hooray for tennis and happy kids, wherever their life takes them.  It must be great to know he's in a supportive place. 

Kate, I am so pleased to hear how mobile you are!  Things really  have looked up from a week ago, phew!

Cindy, I'm right behind you with the hormone therapy.  I meet my new onc 6/6 (postponed from this Wednesday, had a late-breaking conflict) and expect to start Tamoxifen after that.  I'm nervous--but I am sure I've talked about that here before.  I know I just have to move forward and see what happens.  I am turning 50 in September.  I'm kind of freaked out about that number, so by then I want to feel good, with a cleaned-out, organized house--to return to another prior topic--and able to run steadily and work done on my long-postponed book.  These big birthdays, maybe all birthdays, and also travel, are such triggers for getting perspective on life, the good and the bad.  I feel as though getting a grip on some of these very frustrating old goals is the nicest thing I can do for myself.  (Well, a trip to the Caribbean would be acceptable too, if it didn't conflict with the semester and hurricane season!)  My husband and I will be having our 20th wedding anniversary in August also, but, other than the house I guess, my goals are really for me. 

• josie123
    edited May 2013

Run Free Happy early anniversary .We celebrate our 22 anniversary on Sept 28.When's your Birthday?

Haven't started my tamoxifen yet either.I'm kind of waiting for my blood work to come back first.

Kate yes we had a great time fishing.Did you catch the part where I said my daughter baited the hook for me?She and I were quite a pair.She hates to unhook the fish and I Hate to bait the hook .I just can't get over how squirmey the worm gets when you get him on the hook.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

Josie good for you on catching the biggest fish.  We took my grandson fishing off a dock near here a few years ago.  A mom and her three kids were fishing there also.  We were all having a great time until suddenly one of her kids started screaming at the top of his lungs.  He had a fish hook in his finger.  My husband who is an ER doc sprung into action.  He ran over to them and started working to get the hook out.  A man standing by started screaming at him not to do the things he was doing.  My husband calmly looked up at him and said, "I am an ER doctor.  I know how to do this.".  My grandson was so happy with his grandpa for being able to help that kid.  The mom was more than grateful as well that she didn't have to transport her three children, one screaming and crying and bleeding to the nearest ER.  Of course she was told to check in with her doctor ASAP to make sure it was healing well and no tetanus shot was needed.  It was fun though to witness him doing what he does best and the admiration in my grandson's eyes was priceless.  He is the grandson who is in a wheelchair, so fishing from the dock was somewhat of a challenge, but he does love to fish!!

RunFree my 50th birthday didn't bother me as much as my 60th.  Things seemed to go south right about then with the bc diagnosis.  50 is still very young.  50 on my mother seemed so old, on people nowadays, it seems so young.  Also celebrate that 20h with something very special.  You two deserve it.

I haven't started any hormonal therapy.  I am getting a little nervous about it.  I would however, like my hormone levels checked in order to decide what the right decision is for me.  I have all the symptoms of serious estrogen deficiency.  I would love some objective information to work with.  I might just make an appointment to do that!!

Susannah, if Thomas is happy, you know he is in the right group home and things are being done the right way for him.  That gives a lot of peace.

Kate, what are you doing today?  I am cleaning, watching old movies, researching on the internet and washing clothes.  I am also trying to eat healthy today!!

• josie123
    edited May 2013

Wow that was quite an ordeal Gigil .Good thing your hubby just happened to be there.What a great thing that your grandson could still go fishing even in the wheelchair.

Thanks for sharing.Have a great evening.!

• gigil
    edited May 2013

I would never have the stomach to be a doctor.  I have always loved doing medical literature researching, but I don't have the stomach for the hands on stuff.  Cole loves to fish.  He loves the pontoon or fishing off the dock.  He wants to try ice fishing.  We just have to figure out a safe way to bring him to that.  He would fish every day if he could.  

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging comments about my son. You all seem to understand a mom's love and concerns.

Josie, congratulations on your catch! It was fun to read about, and sounds like a fun day.

GiGil and RunFree, my life got great after age 50, probably the happiest time in my life. I finally learned how to be happy. I suspect that getting diagnosed right before your birthday may color your feelings about the age. I was diagnosed a couple of months before I turned 60, so, not so happy about that age, buti have a feeling there are good times ahead.

RunFree, you're such a good writer! Way type of book are you writing? I think you mentioned that you teach at a university, is it on an academic subject?

• gigil
    edited May 2013

My darling Cole with his recent invention.  A bird trap.  He sat motionless for hours trying to catch a bird.  He is always thinking, that boy!

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Cole, what a sweetheart he is! I love his invention, patience and creativity.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

He always surprises us with his unique approach to life.  He has never once questioned why he can't walk or run.  He would love to skate.  I wish we could figure a way for him to do that.  They have the little down on the ice sleds, but he really wants to feel what it feels like to skate.  Sweet boy!

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

That's myn Thomas, in my avatar, in the blue jacket.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Ah!  There he is.  Did you ever mention how old he is?  Is that you with him?   From a distance I would have thought it was a picture of my sister in law.  My husband's family is very blond - a mixture of Swedish and French.

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Thomas is25. How old is cole?

Yes, that's me, hovering in the background of my photo.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Cole is 10.  Love that pic of you and Thomas.  It shows a mother's love.

• RunFree16
    edited May 2013

Josie, my birthday is the 16th.  GiGi and Susannah, 50 was bothering me even before my diagnosis.  If anything, the BC helped a little, because then I started saying to myself, "For crying out loud, turning 50 is much better than the alternative!"  But that doesn't always work.  I think it bugs me the most because I haven't finished my book.  This is the book version of my dissertation.  I finished my diss in 1999 and should have had the book out within 3 years, so it really is very overdue.  I teach US history, and the book is about the origins of health and PE instruction in American schools in the 1800s.  It has held my interest, but I've had a hard time figuring out how to manage all my information and really, what my point is.  I didn't have any trouble turning 40 or 30 because I was satisfied with where my life was then.  And I believe I'd be satisfied now if I were publishing as much as I should and if my house were not so awful.  Otherwise--BC aside--I feel very fortunate and happy.  Susannah, thanks for saying I'm a good writer!  Also thanks for saying your 50s were a great time.  That's what I need to focus on.  I think I'll feel better once the birthday is behind me.

GiGi, that really is a vivid story about your husband and the fish hook.  It must be fun for him to have a skill that can help people so dramatically.  The picture of your grandson with his invention is great!  Does he often invent things?

Josie, what fun catching the biggest fish!  You and your daughter are the perfect fishing team.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

RunFree I can so relate to your feelings about not being published.  I have belonged to an internet writing group for years.  We started out with both men and woman, but it has morphed into a womens' group now.  I have friends on there that I have known for 14 or 15 years.  They have become great friends.  One woman lives in South Africa.  This year in April there was a conference of the group in Washington DC.  I signed up for it and then didn't go.  I have had such writers block since my bc diagnosis, I just can't seem to break through it.  Today for the first time the rainy morning inspired me to write a poem.  I don't usually write poems, although I love playing around with haiku.  I like to write memoir, essay, creative non-fiction.  I have tried everything to get going again.  As I mentioned previously, I have also been working on a book in regard to the health care system with my husband.  My work on that has ground to a halt also.  Time to break out of the shackles and get going again!!  If one keeps waiting for a better time - a time when things feel right - it may never happen.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

I am typing this to you from a neighborhood restaurant. I didn't want to go shopping today, because I knew it would be too crowded. I rested at home, and decided to have a steak sandwich at a neighborhood restaurant, and that is where I am now,nI hope you are enjoying the holiday.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Gigil, I agree Cole is a sweetheart. God bless him.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Suzannah, I love the photo of you and Thomas too.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Runfree,

My 50's were a blast. II had a great time. I looked younger than my age, and I was healthy as a horse. Turning 30 bothered me more than turning 50.

I think you aqre a great writer too. You are one smart cookie.

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Thanks Kate.  I decided to run out for a burger.  I don't eat a ton of beef, but I could not get the idea of a hamburger out of my mind today, so out I went.  I don't have the beautiful views you have close to you however.  We have a conference in San Diego in October.  I am hoping to convince my husband about the charms of California then.  He is very earthquake shy.  He will get on a glare ice road and drive hundreds of miles but the thoughts of an earthquake causes him fits.

• RunFree16
    edited May 2013

Kate, thank you for saying both of those things!  I am going to use everybody's help here to get psyched about my 50s.  GiGi, I remember you said you and your husband are writing a book, and it's one I want to read.  I like haiku too, and the other forms you mention.  I think it's great you're in a group.  My colleagues and I form groups periodically and then we're all too busy to follow through.  I was on a really good roll last fall and then BAM, diagnosis.  I have high hopes for the summer, though.  I got back to the book a bit last week and I was really excited.  What works the best is to get up at 5 am, an hour earlier than normal.  By nature I'm a night owl, but it gets easier after a couple of days.  Even at that hour, I have to discipline myself not to spend time on email and Facebook and now here too, but otherwise there's no competition for my time and I can get a good start.  The other day, after getting the kids to school, I went back to it and worked for another 4 hours!  That's the kind of momentum I need.  And today I put in almost 4 hours on my house.  I just have to keep going and not get discouraged.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

RunFree you are motivating me!  I am going to start just getting up when I wake up early in the morning.  I am trying to declutter my work space.  I think that will help to get the ideas and energy flowing.  I think you are going to have a very productive summer.

P.S.  My 50's were my best decade ever!  I felt good about life and good about me, and I was young enough and strong enough to do whatever I darned well pleased.  I am still strong and very well.  I just wish my world and your world and all of our worlds hadn't been rocked by bc.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

I had meat on my mind today too, and that is why I went out for a steak sandwich. I don't like earthquakes either. I live in California for 7 years, and I have experienced only 3 small ones, so they don't happen often. Sometimes it is so light i have to turn on the Tv to find out if it is indeed an earthquake. I live about 2 hours from San Diego. It would be great if you could come here too.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Runfree,

Yes keep on going, and do not get discouraged. Bc is a thing of the past, and you have a bright future ahead of you. If you get discouraged just tell yourself that you can do it, and that you won't jinx yourself by thinking you can't do it. You can and will do it, and I am excited for you.

xoxo,

Kate

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Kate, I think you needed a day off. A steak sandwich, yum! Thank u for saying u love my photo!

RunFree, I see what you're saying about your dissatisfaction with the state of your house and your slow progress on the book. But what I think you will ,find as you ease into 50 is that we do the best we can, hope we can do some good and have some good times, and love our friends and families. We may reach our goals, we may not, but reaching a level of contentment is possible without having all our ducks in a row.

• RunFree16
    edited May 2013

GiGi and Kate and others, you are so encouraging!  GiGi, I agree that it will make you feel a lot better to have a clean work space.  That's what I was working on today too.  I have a lot of past fizzles to live down, but when I say I fear I'll just fizzle again, my friend Ann says, "That's a story you're telling yourself.  Why not just tell a different story?"  She's right, of course, just as you both are.  I never, I mean NEVER, thought that I could run a marathon.  But I trained for it and, after 3-4 runs a week for a year, and despite two injuries, I did it, in January 2012.  I learned a lot from that.  I had a year-long, half-pay sabbatical in 2011-2012 and I got a lot done on my book, just not everything.  I resisted getting up at 5 am for years. I only started it last fall when I was at my wit's end, confronting again how hard it was to write after going back to teaching.  It worked like a magic trick.  I couldn't believe how easy it was after all the good reasons I'd always had for refusing to try it.  Then BC disrupted that; I'm distractable anyway and I just could not concentrate, or spare the sleep, or establish a routine.  Now, as long as Tamoxifen goes easy on me, I feel as though I can charge back in.  Other than BC and some chronic things (insomnia, bad back), I've always been very fortunate to be healthy.  My hope is to get back to running and make serious inroads on these other projects that have been such emotional sticking points for me.  I do feel a sense of progress and I am optimistic I'm back on a good path now.  As Susan B. Anthony said about women getting the vote, Failure is impossible! 

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Runfree,

I so much agree with your friend Anne. What you perceive is what you will get, so DEFINITELY tell yourself a different story. That story must begin with I will succeed. I won't let my subconscious fool me into failure. I can and will do it. Yes, do think back to when you ran the marathon, and thought you couldn't do it, but you did. Tell yourself if I could do that I can do this.

I am so glad you feel a sense of progress and that you are optimistic. I think we all had setbacks when we had breast cancer. We were all thrown for a loop. I was shocked because nobody in my family ever had cancer. Even optimistic. positive me, wasn't so positive when I went through the mammo's mri's, biopsies, lumpectomies etc. By the time I started radiation I felt positive once again. God spared me during radiation, and I had an extremely easy time with it. Sometime I think God only gives people what they can handle I guess he thinks I can handle a second bout with cancer better than most people.

Please remember that failure is impossible, especially because of how well you write.

xoxo,

kate