Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

Josie - Sounds like a fun day. By the way my birthday is August 26th.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Kate - I wish I was there too. We would definitely go to the promenade. I love that place. I want a gooey glazed donut. When we had a Krispy Kreme I could do about 4. There are no good mexican or chinese foods places here. I have tried them all. When my friend Adrian was here we went to a bunch of mexican places and he was so shocked that they were all so bad. Foget chinese. Even our Panda Express tastes different.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Joan - great photos!!! I want to go next year for sure. Notice I said WANT to go so we will see.

• oropallo
    oropallo Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2013

I am begging week 2 of radiation. I had a double mastectomy (so didnt have to have rad) and low and behold had pos node and a lousy onc dx and mammastat saying tumor was aggressive and high chance of reoccurence and radiation (after all that 2 surg chemo etc) was recommended. I have IIB invasive ductal carc. Right side. 

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Orpallo, sorry you've had to go through such a tough time, sounds rough. Radiation is not terrible, althpugh it is tiresome, and tiring. It sounds like you have faced and lived through the worst already. Hoping you have minimal,side effects and an easy course of rads.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

Oropallo, I'm so sorry to hear about your missed DX and all the changes in your treatment plan. BC is tough enough to go thru without having all that thrown at you. Here's hoping that you have clean sailing thru rads. If you have any questions or problems we're here to help you any way we can. My only advice for you right now is to listen to your body. When it needs to rest, believe it. Moisturize all the time and eat 70 to 80 grams of protein daily. Try to get a bit of gentle exercise daily as that will actually help with fatigue believe it or not. And stay well hydrated. I think you'll find a great bunch of women on this thread, so let us know if we can help.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Hi Lemon,

Thank you for the wonderful compliments. How sweet of you to think of me, and pray for me. OMG I love the support. It helps me to keep a totally positive attitide. Thank God I am feeling a little better, now with a week off of chemo.

I am so glad that you mostly are doing alright, and I pray your downs will go away

xoxo,

Kate

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Thanks for the nice comments about the latest pic I posted.We got the pics off my phone via kiosk/Bluetooth @ Sam's today.So I printed them off so my daughter's friend had proof that she actually caught some fish .I'll try to scan it on my printer.

Kate sounds like your feeling pretty Good this weekend.I'm so glad .

BUNKIE That's pretty neat that we both have August b days.

Lemon glad to hear from you.Hope your doing ok.

Welcome Oropallo I'm so sorry about your diagnosis and having to get Rads.Your in the right place hear.This is a great bunch of ladies and you will learn a lot.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, I bought you a gooey glazed donut. I had fun tonight. Today is the best that I have felt since I started chemo. Kelly closed the donut shop early. We went to a neighborhood Japanese restaurant, and it was delicious.

Oropallo, I am so terribly sorry that you have to go through all of this. I will pray for you.

Thank you Josie, I  am feeling good

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

I am jealous of your Japanese meal, yum! I am so glad you have had a great day!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Thank you Gigil. I so much hope you enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend. I am going shopping Sunday, so that should be fun. I love retail therapy.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

I just saw a great quote by Franklin D. Roosevelt that I want to share. "When you come to the end of your rope tie a knot and hang on"Perfect for those going through a lot, and want to remain positive.

I hope everyone has a great rest of the holiday weekend. I am going shopping today, for of all things shoes. I still can't wear regular closed up shoes, so I am going to look for a sandal or a flip flop. I bought a cute salmon color skirt, that I want to wear with my friend Wed, but I don't have shoes.

xoxo,

Kate

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited May 2013

Hi Kate, happy shopping!

Your salmon-colored skirt sounds fabulous and would fit right in on another thread I follow- "retail therapy".

Shopping helps!!!

Have a good weekend everyone.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Sciencegal,

Thank you for letting me know about the thread 'retail therapy" I so mujch agree that shopping helps.

xoxo,

Kate

• mainegirl
    mainegirl Member Posts: 24
    edited May 2013

Hi Oropallo, sorry about your diagnosis and subsequent radiation.  I had the same diagnosis and just finished radiation, which I didn't think I'd need either.  I'm IIB IDC; right side.  Also had double mastectomy.  Radiation isn't anything like chemo - I'm healing right now.  Nothing we can't deal with.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2013

Hi from NY (back home)... I love all this talk about getting together....it is a wonderful experience to meet wonderful ladies here...but I have to say not essential...it is possible to make real friendships here.  SAB & Sew, I hope to get back to CA at least once a year - maybe more.  Susannah, I missed all the bad weather back on Long Island....and today when I got back home, it was dry, sunny and warm-ish.  The Bay Area was quite cool and very windy; but we had sunny skies and very little fog all week.

Kate, you are really amazing - getting out, making plans...and making the very best of each day.  That is what life is about...and you are an inspiration for many of us.    You always look so nice...and shopping is great therapy. 

Josie, I hope you get good news for DH...loved your pics...you have a beautiful family.

Oro, sorry you have to add rads to your treatments but believe it or not, it will pass quickly.  Not everyone has long lasting effects, so think positively...glad you found us here. 

So, Brookside, I'm up for a northeast meet up...actually, I'll go anywhere! 

Sciencegal, I can't believe we didn't meet you in time for you to join us in SF...I asked about your field - I'm a geologist so I deal with mostly rocks and inorganic stuff :-D   After raising 6 kids, I like working around things that don't talk back.

Janis, where are you?  Hope you are doing well.

Nite all,
    Joan

PS...Tonight I saw on the local news some guy's photo of the three planets visible at sunset...well, I just photographed them in San Francisco against a beautiful sky...now I learned this won't happen again until 2015. 

Well, it's obvious I'm still on CA time...slept all day after overnight flight...now wide awake...good thing it's a holiday week end...

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Joan,

So glad you had a nice trip to California. I hope next time you might be able to visit Los Angeles. I would love to meet you.

Thank you so much for the compliments. I did go shopping yesterday, but I did not buy anything. The only store that had a really good sale was American Eagle Outfitter, but they didn't have anything I liked. I was looking for shoes, but I did not see anything . Towards the end of June will be the best sales, and I will go again then. I went to the skirt kiosk, but they didn't have new styles, but told me to come back around the middle of June, and they will have new styles then. Shopping was a bust, but I did have some good fast food chinese, and ate it overlooking the ocean, which is always a treat. At our Mall's food court there is seating outside facing the ocean, that is two blocks away. I love the outdoor seating at our food court.

I hope you and the other bc sisters have a great Memorial Day

Hugs,

Kate

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Kate - Sometimes that happens when we shop. It seems when I have very little to spend the stores are full and when I have a bundle I can not find anything. I would love that skirt shop. Glad you got out anyway.

We have a ton of pollen floating in the air here. The cars are covered and I have all the purifiers on. Yesterday my cousin Clarice and her daughter Sahara drove over to see me. They live about an hour away. It was a nice surprise. I had food here and she is on Jenny Craig so she brought her food. We just hung out after we got her daughter some Wendy's. Sahara even fell asleep in my guest room for a couple hours. They were here about 6 hours which is a perfect visit. I went to bed early last night and slept crooked so with that and the pollen I have a mild headache today. Nothing major so I am just resting. My friend and his wife are going to grill steaks later so I took out some for me and also chicken sausage for him to fix. I made a pasta salad and another friend made potato salad. She is going to drop that off later. So I am set for food. I know red meat is not good but I love steak and refuse to give it up. The same friend also made a Sweet Potato Pound Cake that I gave her the recipe for. I love that cake and since it has sweet potatoes in it I consider it a vegetable. Haha!!

Hope everyone has a great holiday.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

Hi y'all

Wow, busy busy thread...travel, graduations, pets, and retail therapy! And so much more:)

Welcome oropoallo and mainegirl! You will rock rads:) emu oil was a skin saver...my skin 3 wk post rads looks amazing:). Hang in there.

Susannah - congrats on mammo! Yippee:)

Kate - yeah a long weekend with no urgent excitement:). Glad you are feeling better and enjoying the ocean views. Nordstrom summer sale in July...yes!

Josie - luv the family pics & cute pup:)

Science gal - luv your hair...beautiful!

Lemon - glad life and skin is better:). On the pill now?

Sew, Joan, Gigil, Brookside, Janis, Bunkie, April, & .... Need a pocket party bi costal:)))

Wishing y'all a great Memorial Day!

Waving my flag...enjoying my freedom...C free! Yippee:)))

Party weekend...going to a concert tonight!

Oh and the pill ... June 1 ... MO said my choice of HT, but highly recommended an AI for 2.5 yrs first so will try Aromasin....wanted to put off until end of month...did not want to take before Bday 6/22...just wanted to finish this crazy journey to 60 drug free...fingers&toes crossed no SEs please. And no more C forever please! Pass the pill...

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

I am glad you are having a nice holiday after all. My doctor said red meat is ok once a week. I love steak, and don't want to giove it up either. My doctor loves it that I eat a lot of fish, at least three times a week.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Cindy,

I will pray that you don't get se from hormonal therapy.

A concert tonight sounds like a lot of fun enjoy.

A Nordstrom sale July 1 sounds like fun too. I love their shoes, and that is what I need.

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Hi to everyone.  Kate, sorry your shopping didn't produce results but it got you out and about, so that is a good thing.  Cindy you enjoy that concert tonight.  What kind of concert is it?  That would be a fun thing to do!!  Joan, it is always good to be home from a trip, and the memories become sweeter with each passing day.  I always think when I am on a vacation with my family that what we are doing in the present moment is a lot of fun now, but will be even sweeter in my memory. Bunkie enjoy that steak and I like your idea of vegetables.

My sister and I took our 84 year old father out for breakfast and to see the movie 42.  I am not a big crier in movies, but that movie brought me to tears a few times.  He loved it, and I was surprised to love it so much myself.  It is quite a story about Jackie Robinson, the first black baseball player in the major leagues. 

Today, I am remembering my Uncle Jack who died in the Korean War with a baby picture of me in his shirt pocket.  He was a beautiful young man who died at age 18 after two tours of duty in Korea.  He lied about his age to get in when he was 14.  Can you imagine?  And then to have died there?  Before he left he took out an insurance policy for my grandmother and his girlfriend.  Can you imagine having such a serious girlfriend at age 18?  She really never got to know him.  None of us did.  My mother was only 17 when she had me.  She was only a couple of years older than him.  Memorial Day makes me think of him and my grandfather who was in WWI.

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited May 2013

Gigil, your uncle Jack sounds wonderful, hats off to him. I am so sorry he was lost to the war.

I am remembering my grandpa who was in the air force for most of his life, but did make it home to retire in comfort with his garden and those he loved.

I sure wish this could be the way it happens for all of our brave soldiers.

I wish a happy, restful and healing day for all of the wonderful ladies on this site. Thanks for your awesome posts.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

Gigil, Such a sad story about uncle Jack. I am so sorry he was lost to war too.

Sciencegal, so glad your grandfather got to enjoy his life

xoxo,

Kate

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Hard to keep up with all of you!

I love the stores on this thread.

Kate, sounds like a good day, even thought didn't result in a purchase. And eating by the ocean-what could be better.

Bunkie, glad your relatives and you had a nice visit! All of my cousins live so far away, miss them.

GiGil, glad u got to spend some time with your dad. Story about uncle jack was touching.

Science gal and RMlulu, good to hear from you.

Yesterday we took my son back to his group home. I always feel a little sad when we drop him off, but he's a really happy guy. That gave me and my husband the chance to spend the day together, played lovely tennis this morning. My daughter refuses to come out to the hamptons on Memorial Day, hates the traffic and crowds.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Sciencegal what a wonderful life for a brave man.  I am so glad your grandfather came home to a good life.  My grandfather did too, although he suffered the effects of some sort of gas later in life, with a partial paralysis.  He lived to be 78 years of age, however, which was amazing for the level of medical care they had back then.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Susannah, I have two uncles who have lived in a group home for much of their lives.  They are both very happy guys and have never had the cares we all have to contend with.  When I see them they are smiling and loving and all they ask is love in return.  That we can give, in abundance.  

So glad you are enjoying a day with your hubby.  Tennis sounds like so much fun.  I don't think my old knees would let me play anymore.  Golf, yes!!  I need to get out and hit some balls!

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

I meant to type I love the stories on this thread, not the stores.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Susannah, I have two uncles who have lived in a group home for much of their lives.  They are both very happy guys and have never had the cares we all have to contend with.  When I see them they are smiling and loving and all they ask is love in return.  That we can give, in abundance.  

So glad you are enjoying a day with your hubby.  Tennis sounds like so much fun.  I don't think my old knees would let me play anymore.  Golf, yes!!  I need to get out and hit some balls!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Suzqannah,

So sorry that your son needs to be in a group home. Wonderful that he is such a happy guy. Enjoy the day with your hubby.

xoxo,

Kate