Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

Kate I may have a day of my own when we are there. If so, I will try to see you definitely!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Gigil that would be so marvelous to meet you.

xoxo,

Kate

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Run Free good for you I wish I could say I did something productive this weekend but I just played oh yeah.. I guess a little laundry and dishes counts for something.My Father in law is doing really bad.

He has a cancer called multiple myeloma.I affects the plasma cells of his bone marrow.He had a mass on his tailbone.He is currently doing chemo.They said the Rads he did before the chemo shrunk the tumor.

Well he's hurting soo bad that the man can't stand w/o holding on to something.He is so proud he still tries to go to work daily.

He was using 2-3 fentanyl patches at a time and then a couple hours later he was Asking for a morphine.

It breaks your heart to see him in so much pain.

Every Sunday they have our family over for dinner and he can't even cook anymore so We come over early and help because it means so much for him to have us there of a Sunday.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Josie, so sorry your father in law is suffering so. I am sure you give him a lot of comfort by coming over and cooking with him on Sundays. It is probably the best thing you can do for him.

• josie123
    edited May 2013

Daughter Sarah graduates tomorrow night at 6:30pm

I'm afraid to say her Grandpa Joe probably won't be able to be there.He needed a walker to just get around his house today.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

That is sad, Josie. Congratulations to Sarah. Can you video it for him? He might like that.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

I've been trying to keep up with you gals, but not posting much.  DH was home for the long weekend and we were running around (actually running, swimming, hiking, biking and golfing Smile)   

Josie, congrats on your daughter's graduation.  Enjoy the moment!  Sorry about your FIL, but he will still be proud and happy...take lots of pictures for him.  

RunFree, it's likely just a lull.  It's hard to get back into the rhythm of life after BC.  Especially as treatment winds down.  I took off nearly a year from my own writing project after tx-- depressed, uninspired, self-absorbed and yes, lazy.  My house is still pretty out of order, but the work is going well again.  Don't be worried about the fifties.  They are good. And anyone who trains and runs a marathon is unstoppable.

Forgive me for not going back to earlier posts. Hugs to all!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Josie,

So sorry that your father-in-law is so ill.

I am so excited about your daughter's graduation tomorrow. Please post photos of you and her. Mazel tov! (yiddish for congratulations)

hugs,

Kate

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2013

Hi, back on Eastern time, finally.  I slept from 3 AM to 11:30 AM today.
    I had an impromptu dinner with my grandson Kyle (who I raised) and his gf and another guy friend from high school.  I ran to the store and got food, then came home and started cooking like mad.  They came and took over all the cooking tasks I didn't want to do...they changed their Jitney (coach bus) back to NY city so we could slow down and enjoy dinner.  It turned out to be a feast.  DH was off the hook for barbecue...he got to relax.

I put the flag out today...and used my flag dishes...DH is retired from military reserve and he served in Navy (1960s), Army (1970s) and Air Force Reserve (1980s-2000s).  We are both still working, but it is nice to have military full benefits for his service. 

I really enjoyed reading about your Memorial Day memories.  I remember my dad's stories of WWII.  Many of you sound upbeat today.  I am really enjoying the day off. Bunkie, so glad you had a good visit - it sounds like just what you needed.

I also love the fishing stories....Josie, did your daughter "worm you up"? 
    And Susannah, I love your photo of your DS and am glad you have found a place for him to grow and live on his own.  Gigi, love the photo of Cole and his invention. How precious...

RunFree, I spent my 50th BD in New Hampshire, one of my favorite places...we brought the kids and enjoyed the beautiful scenery and made Thanksgiving dinner.  My 50s were great...I was raising my grandson but managed to attend graduate school and then start working at my current job which I love.  I had stayed home with my large family for decades with no regrets...then somehow, it was time for me...DH fought me on my education and work; but now he is glad I am being productive in a new way.

Birthdays are just days...so what if they end in zero?  And birthdays are always good!!!  My goal is to have lots more....

It was quiet here today -- living in a beach town on Memorial Day can be crazed...but it is quite cool.  I spent a lot of time gazing out at my "new" cleared out yard today...the grass came up while we were away, and the rhodedendrons burst into bloom.  The birds seem glad we are back to feed them and it was a perfect blue sky today.

For those who are starting A.I. drugs soon, I understand your hesitation.  There are SEs...and there are many things I don't focus on the way I should.  I, too, am a writer but it has been a long time since I've been able to focus enough to finish anything.  I made a commitment to the drug after lx, and so far life has not changed much for me.

Since my summer class has been canceled, I want to choose a project and spend some time on it on the nights when I would have worked.  I have to choose something I can get done this summer.   My house also has clutter and I have been finding it much easier to toss things. 

Gigi, as far as EQs go, you and DH should be OK in San Diego.  I have to admit, while hiking in San Francisco, I would think about it...what would I do...?  The worst was driving in tunnels and over the Bay Bridge and GG Bridge which are being EQ retrofitted right now.  At least in the east, where the big hurricanes may hit, we have a lot of warning.  But, since my kids are grown and through college, I feel better about traveling and not worrying so much about unlikely misfortune. 

Keep planning the meet-ups...it will happen!   Hope everyone enjoyed the week end. 

Janis...where's Janis....
    April....where's April....

• josie123
    edited May 2013
    Ok this is my father in law I'm talking about and his wife and their mentally handicapped son Matt

http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/JH9531/media/10348043206984.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

• gigil
    edited May 2013

What a nice smile he has. It just isn't fair that he has to suffer. It has to be hard on his wife too. Sunday dinners with family are just the best. We used to eat Sunday dinner with my in laws when they were alive. It was so good to connect once a week. I am sure they love having you there.

• josie123
    edited May 2013

Thanks Gigil We really love him and the sad part is he is a workaholic .He never went on family vacations or took his kids fishing too busy working.In his mind he was doing it for the family but he missed so much.Now he can't do much at work but sit at his desk.He was still running tows and working on cars until this fall.BTW Joe is the man on the right.His son is on the left and Nancy is in the middle.

• josie123
    edited May 2013

Can't sleep and I have to be up in 6 1/2 hours.Sigh...I guess I'll try and go back to sleep.Got a busy day tomorrow.

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200
    edited May 2013

we had a feast today too. A surf and turf dinner, as my DD leaves early tomorrow morn. She has 3 weddings to attend in the next few months so we spent some time shopping for 2 dresses for her to wear. 2 of the weddings are in one week, with the same family members attending, so 2 dresses. The 3rd one is later in the season and a whole different set of friends. I have had great fun with her here. We got  mani/pedis and spent lots of time cooking and eating. But she has to get back.

josie, ahh you are in the ups and downs of  life. Happy moments colliding with sadder ones. We always had our Sunday dinners with my parents. As the years went on I did more and more of the cooking. Those are happy memories for me now. 

Joan, glad you had a great trip. I am also happy you get some time off this summer. 

kate, shopping reconnaissance is still shopping in my book. 

sab, I am getting back to my mischievous self. I was a real wild gal when I was younger. Gave that all up and became a responsible, productive member of society and raised two kids. Now I'm ready to chuck it all and just have fun while I can!!!!

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Josie, how conflicting life is. The joy of Sarah's graduation, the sadness of your father inlaw's pain and suffering. It can't be easy to watch your father in law suffer. Like GiGil says lots of photos of Sarah for him.

SAB-you did all my favorite things, swimming, biking, etc. fun!

My house is a mess too. Sigh.....

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Josie,

I love the phot of your father-in-law and his family. He is a handsome man, and I am sorry that he is suffering.

Have fun at your daughter's graduation tonight, and please post photos

xoxo,

Kate

• SAB
    edited May 2013

Susannah, it was fun.  I'm feeling it today though. I might be too sore to clean the house (hee hee)

Joan, how nice you returned to a blooming yard.  I'm looking forward to hearing what you've slotted for your "extra" time this summer.  

Went to my favorite organic market this weekend when I was up visiting my DD, and have way too many veggies and fruits in the house.  I'm going to have to spend the week cooking in order not to waste them!  I guess that means I'll also have to spend the week exercising in order not to wear them on my hips Surprised

Newest toy=rice cooker.  I can't believe I waited so long to get one.  I put the slow cooker on a shelf in the garage and gave the spot to my new friend--already made brown rice, split lentils and steel cut oats in it.

OH, ladies I am going to the eye doctor today.  He detected a shadow on retinal photography and asked me to come back for dialation and a recheck since it can be a side effect from Tamoxifen.  I'm not trying to scare anyone on the RX fence--my experience with the drug has been largely a non-event--but be aware when you go to see you provider that he/she should know you are taking this drug.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

Wow!  I also am a sidetracked writer, even published a few times (articles, not books).  I kind of lost the motivation a few years ago after I spent three years getting an MA while working full time.  Each course had at least three papers, some had weekly papers.  Burnout big time!  Then came my second marriage and divorce, a career change, and now BC.  Things happen.

Good gracious, that shiny sink thing got me going again.  All weekend, I kept jumping up to do a five-minute housekeeping task, then plopped right back down on the couch. Up and down, up and down.  Got my exercise.  I reclaimed most of my kitchen and dining room and part of the bedroom.  Time to rest on my laurels.

Have car, will travel, would love to get together just about anywhere in the northeast.

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited May 2013

Good morning everyone, how nice it was to sleep in since I am off work for a few more days after my surgery! You all have been busy posting.

Josie, has your father-in-law been offered the option of a "reduced intensity conditioning bone marrrow transplant'? or is he too elderly to withstand that?

I work in BMT research, this type of transplant can help for some types of MM, not for others. And his age is definitely a factor but the reduced intensity conditioning, pioneered at the Fred Hutchison cancr center in Seattle, does not knock the patient down like the regimen for standard transplant.

Just a thought.

I hope everyone's Tuesday is starting out okay. Mine is- hot coffee and a lap full of small dogs in the recliner. Life is good.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

SAB. I have heard of eye effects from Tamoxifen. If memory serves me, it says it can speed the process of cataracts. If that is the case, it is a very treatable situation. I am only speaking from memory on that. Upon further reading there are a couple of other ocular effects that affect the retina as well. If that is the case, they might switch you off the Tamoxifen. Here's hoping it is nothing too much. It is good you are on top of it.

Do steel cut oats still take about 30 minutes in your rice cooker? I bought a nice one last year. Right now it is in the jungle of my beneath cupboard. I think I need yo find a more prominent place for it. I do love it for brown rice and the steel cut oatmeal especially.

I am going in for a follow up with my breast surgeon in two weeks, I am starting to see my radiated breast through her eyes. Just shortly after the healing from radiation and the peeling was over, I noticed two dark freckles on the areola. They are flat and a bit dry looking. I started using A & D ointment on them. That keeps them moist. They have lightened up a little. They look like the newly acquired freckles that I now have under my breast. These skin changes freak me out a little, especially the two on the nipple. Have any of you seen that or dealt with it? I have olive colored skin in the first place. I used to tan so nicely. Now that I am aging my tan is freckled with white spots!

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Sciencegal do they do that sort of reduced intensity conditioning for a person with myelodysplastic syndrome?  My father 84 has that.  They have just started doing transfusions on him.

• SAB
    edited May 2013

Gigi, everything is fine with my eyes, thank you.  I asked the Doc for details today and learned that tamoxifen retinopathy is just a general term indicating that there are varying side effects from the drug.  This was just an abberation that he wanted to look at more closely, and he seemed satisfied that there were no serious issues.  Now I have benchmark photos, and that's a good thing.

There are quite a few writers here.  Joan, Brookside, RunFree, Gigi.  Anyone else?

• sciencegal
    edited May 2013

hi Gigil,

Sadly MDS isnt treated by BMT because it is the environment within the marrow in which the blood-forming stem cells live that has been altered, in that disease. That microenvironment can't be transplanted (yet).

Transfusions work wonders and I hope your dad does well with them!

• gigil
    edited May 2013

SAB Yay that is very good news!!  So glad to hear since the Tamoxifen has been agreeing with you.  My mom took it and never felt a ripple.  I have some in the drawer that I need to make a decision about soon.  

Sciencegal thanks for the info.  I have done about as much research as I could on MDS, but of course there is almost too much to read on the internet and it takes so much time to get to the real facts.  You are so knowledgeable about all of this.  If I weren't so darned old, and just starting out in life again, I know I would go toward medical research.  It just fascinates me.  I have a grandson with SMA and I wish the research was moving along a lot faster for him.  They are working with stem cells now, and starting some human trials.  All we can think is hurry, hurry, hurry!  He recently is transitioning into almost full time wheelchair, and it is heartbreaking.  Thanks again for the info.  Dad had his first transfusion and he is a lot spunkier.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Wow SAB, reading your note again, there are several writers here!  That is exciting!

• sciencegal
    edited May 2013

Gigil I am so sorry about your grandson. That is a tough disease. Is he followed at one of the movement disorder centers of excellence? They have the best doctors and clinical trials.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

Hi y'all

Just dropped my aunt&uncle off at the airport for another 7 weeks in Costa Rica so jealous!  And shopped the local Farmers Market yum. Concert was put on by local vets to celebrate Freedom...was fun balmy night in the Hill Country:)

All the writers wow. Luv the sharing of love ones that have or are serving...GF slepted in a tub on the Queen Mary in route to WWII  Said he looked and smelled all the land lovers in the belly of the ship and took his bed roll to a clean tub that would hold his 6'5" frame ha!

Secret to clean house move!  And only unpack what you really yes really need or used in the past 6 months!  We both dabble in RE and are always moving...grew up with clean freak parents on both sides...so my home is rather neat...during surgery we were gutting our condo took 4 months so we kept flying home to escape the turmoil. My closet is so organized...drives hubby crazy so he has his own closet works much better.

Birthdays with ZER0s! Yippee!  I could hardly wait to turn 50:)  Always the baby so 50 meant I would be taken seriously ha ah!  Fun decade just didnt expect BC as I make my journey to 60 in June!  Thinking 60s will be even greater...kicked C and ready to keep playing:)

The pics of the kids, pups, fishing, are too much fun.  Ive worked with special needs kiddos at church so amazing.  Several of my GFs have kids/gks one in his 20s is in a group home.  It was so hard she had triplets and hard to seperate the boys...heart wrenching. All doing well now, but such a hard time.

Trying to keep my schedule at the gym.  Figure if Im going to take the pill then I better pound those bones and lift some weights.  im 5'5" 125# and so afraid of the wieght and bone SEs.  My hair is thining from all the stress of our cancers these past years :(  so cut it off real real short oh my!  Will start working with a trainer in June so I dont hurt myself.  Hubby enjoyed the dance last Friday and found another upcoming dance for this weekend...surprised me...he hates to dance guess I looked like I was having too much fun and wants to keep it coming :)

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Cindy, I love your energy.  I have been cleaning all of the long weekend, and I still have a lot more to do.  I need to declutter my life, and mostly get rid of three closets of clothing.  Who needs that many clothes??  I just lose my objectivity with that chore.  I have weeded it out every six months, but obviously I am not letting go of enough.  

A dance sounds like so much fun!!  Glad you and your hubby are having so much fun with it.  I admire your dedication to exercise  I keep telling myself I am getting plenty of exercise with the three flights of steps in my townhouse.  Sometimes I feel like I am living in a large lighthouse.  I go from bottom to top many times a day.  This weekend the cleaning was really strenuous!  My husband works most weekends and holidays, so I am usually catching up on work when he works.  He is on his way home now, so our fun will start at a time when the restaurants, stores, movies are empty.  It doesn't quite work that way with golf courses though.  The old duffers are out in force most days.

Sciencegal, my daughter has been working tirelessly trying to get him in on the first wave of the clinical trials they are doing now with gene therapy.  All studies are full.  She brings him to the MDA center in Minneapolis at Gillette's Childrens Hospital.  If there is a place where there would be more innovative things going on, I know she would be very interested in that.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

SAB. Great news about your eyes!

Is the rice cooker worth it? I have a terrible time cooking brown rice, and I love it. I always under or overlook it, and it's a mess to clean up. GiGil and SAB let me know please.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

I think if you invest in a good rice cooker, it is wonderful.  I had a simple, cheap one at first and it was always burning things or running over.  I finally got a good one, and I just absolutely love it.  It has a setting for white rice and one for brown rice.  It takes the guesswork out of it.