Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2013

SEW, my heart goes out to you and your family. It is so hard losing a brother. I know that from experience. I wish I could give you a hug. I am reaching out with my heart and soul and giving you a warm strong cyber hug. Bless you, and I hope whoever our higher power is, he gives you the grace of restful sleep and also I pray that grace is extended to your family, especially your SIL and your mother.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited June 2013

Sew, I am truly sorry to hear that you lost your brother.  What a heartbreaking ordeal.  Peace to you and your family.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2013

Sew I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother.I will pray for you and your family as you greeve.My sincerest condolences.

• josie123
    edited June 2013
    I don't know how I'm going to get those pics but I promise I will
  • gigil
    edited June 2013

Josie save the pics to your photo program on your computer. Join photobucket. Upload your photos there. Choose a photo. There are codes on the side. Choose the second one labeled direct. Copy the link using the copy function on your computer. Come back to the comment section here. Press the photo box then go to the comment box and paste the code you previously copied. You do that for each photo. Hope this helps.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2013

Thanks everyone. I just have to say that there was the most spectacular thunder and lightening storms over our area last night, the night of his death, and Jim just LOVED those storms. We havent had one like this for 30 years. It lasted about 1 1/2 hours. We all think it was Jim telling us he's safe and out of pain, and feeling pretty good. Works for me anyway.

• josie123
    edited June 2013

JoAnn Hood's photo.

• josie123
    edited June 2013

• josie123
    edited June 2013

• josie123
    edited June 2013

• josie123
    edited June 2013

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Josie, we can see them now! Great family shots. You are cut off the edge on two of them darn it, but at least we can see you a little. Your daughters are so pretty. Love the fishing shots too. Fun memories for all of you.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

SEW lovely story about the thunder storm. In such times as you have experienced there is sometimes beauty and communication from one soul to another. I very much believe that, and I have experienced it. It brings peace.

• Maakmezorgen
    Maakmezorgen Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2013

Hello all,

I started radiation last month and am wondering if any of you could tell me whether the skin of your shoulder area was affected by radiation too? The reason that I am wondering about this is that I want to finish my tattoo after radiation but as it will be done over the back/side/shoulder area on the side of my radiated breast, I was wondering if that skin will be sensitive or affected too?

Thanks!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2013

Sew, I am so sorry you have lost your brother, and that your entire family is in so much pain. But that thunderstorm!  As they say, there are no coincidences.  It may not be easy, and may not happen as quickly as you would hope, but you will all find your peace.  And you have each other for comfort, solace, and love.

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2013

Makmezorgan, this is something to really talk over with your radiation oncologist.  I never even looked at my back, so I have no idea where those rads went after they passed through my breast--I was just so thrilled that they were gonzo!  Women on other threads have posted about this issue, but I think they might have larger radiation fields than yours probably is.  I hate to raise another issue, but you might want to ask your RO, and maybe a lymphedema therapist, about how to complete your tattoo while minimizing any risks to your lymph system. 

• Maakmezorgen
    edited June 2013

Hi BrooksideVT, thanks for your reply and thanks for pointing out possible risks to the lymph system, didn't think about that... I might just have to leave it as it is. Lucikly it is not an unfinished tattoo, I just wanted to add more to it. I will discuss it with my radiation doctor.

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2013

I 'm so very happy to hear that--was so afraid that you had a large and partially done tattoo crying for attention. 

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited June 2013

Sew, I'm so sorry for your loss. The thunderstorm must have indeed been a comfort.

Maakmezorgen (hope I got that right --tough on an ipad!) -- my rads did exit through the back of my shoulder. I finished rads nearly three months ago, and the tan is still visible. I am careful to protect the area from sun exposure, so tattoos might also be something to avoid. But you're right to check with your doc.

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Thanks Gigil, I know their not great pics but that was from my phone and I'm not a great photographer and neither is my daughter(she's the one who chopped off my head) But I had to get that poor fish back in the water.And of course It was chaotic after graduation and my family was rushing me.Sorry some are upside down again I was being rushed because it was dinner time at my MIL house.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2013

jOSIE, yOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY. i LOVE THOSE PHOTOS

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

Sew, I am so sorry about your brother.  I was so hoping for a better outcome, but he is at peace and hopefully you and the family will get through this together and heal.  I am sending you and yours the softest of healing hugs.  I love the stroms and yes, it is a sign.  When my stepmother died we had to travel a long way, from Wyoming to Phoenix.  We stopped in Denver to pick up my son and grandson who was two.  Coming home it was raining in Phoenix and quickly turned to a nasty snowstorm over the pass.  I was petrified as we saw cars, SUV's, trucks literally spinning and going into the center strip or off the side.  Dozens of accidents and we could do nothing but creep forward.  DH is an excellent driver and did a great job.  As we reached the top of the pass we saw a ton of police and amublances heading up there.  We all said that it wouldn't be enough, there were so many bad accidents.  As we headed down into the valley it cleared up and although cloudy there was the most amazing huge rainbow I had ever seen.  It was stunning, and Mary adored rainbows!  I have always believed she was there to guide us through safely, then smiled brightly with the rainbow to let us know.  I had a somilar experience when my mom died.  She lived in Reno and I was there a couple weeks and had to get home.  I was driving late at night and it was dark and that time of night is bad for antelope and deer.  I had the radio on, and this song came on.....'Angel of the morning' by Sarah McLachlan.  As soon as I heard that song I lost it.  I started sobbing and for the first time, talked to my mom.  I asked her if she heard me, if she was okay, to send me a sign.  Before that song ended I saw the most amazing, bright beautiful shooting star.  I knew.  I am so glad Jim was able to comfort you with the storms.  I have to believe they have a way of letting us know.

I am sending much love to you and your family in the difficult days ahead.  I am so sorry my friend.  HUGS.

• MostlySew
    edited June 2013

Josie,

I love the photos.  Even the upside down one and the blurry one.  It makes them real.  Your family is beautiful, and you're obviously having such a great time.

Brookside, good point about the tattoo and possible LE.....  that LE stuff can come on for no reason at all, says me who's headed out to PT for, you guessed it, LE! 

• MostlySew
    edited June 2013

Janis,

Thanks so much for the heartfelt story and all the comforting hugs.  I knew you guys of all people would understand the thunderstorms.  They truly were spectacular. 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

Sew........Smile.  I love thunderstorms too.  Got that from my dad who has had a passion for them all his life.  My mom was afraid of them.  We don't get them here and I miss a good thunderstorm.  I can already tell you I would have liked Jim.

Josie your pictures are beautiful.  I am so glad they came through, even upside down.  i did crunch my neck a bit doing that headstand but it was worth it!  :)

• gigil
    edited June 2013

SEW my brother who died, loved ducks and so do I. I had many decorative decoys of the various types in my house, which he admired. My husband and I stopped in our hometown to visit his grave a short time after his death. It was fall and there were beautiful colored leaves all around. The area was silent. As we stood there. We could hear the sounds of wings. As they got closer three mallard ducks flew in perfect formation just above our heads, over his grave stone, and off into the distance. It felt like such a strong hello from my brother. We both felt it.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

Sew - I am so sorry to hear about your brother. Gosh I was hoping he would have a chance. Life I tell ya. Hope your mom will do ok.

Yes another reason to move back west. Allergies and migraines.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

Josie - I see everything now also. What a beautiful family!!! Brought back memories. I used to go out in the boat at 5am up at the cottage we had with my dad fishing.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited June 2013

Sew and Janis and GiGiL, I love those stories about people who have just died speaking through natural phenomena.  It seems like such a clear and beautiful message.  GiGiL, I'm a duck lover too and have several decoys.  It's always very moving to me when they fly, but your example is the most touching one I can think of. 

Wonderful pictures, Josie, thanks for persisting!  Kate, I'm hoping your system is moving better now and I'm so excited for you about your leg shrinking.  That deserves a donut!

Maakmezorgen, I agree that it's wise to talk to your doctor about completing your tattoo.  It probably depends a lot on just where it is and where the edges of your radiation field are.  Did they tell you not to have any needles or blood pressure taken on your treatment arm?  The back might be in the same category, but they might not think to mention it.  I did not have impact on my back from rads, but my friend had a perfect triangle-shaped red patch there, as if someone had singed her with a hot iron. 

• Maakmezorgen
    edited June 2013

Sew - I am sorry to hear of your loss

RunFree, nobody told me not to have needles on that side. They even drew blood from that arm for the BRCA-test. Not sure if it makes a difference if you only had the sentinel node removed or if you hade more nodes removed?

I will bring it up next time I see my radiation doctor as I also want to ask him about flying and lymphedema. I am going on holiday a couple of days after I finish my radiation (he said leaving straight after finishing would be fine!).