Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2013

‎.facebook_-48722822.jpg

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

My gosh ladies you have been busy posting and sharing and I am way behind.  I am so moved by your stories of struggles with your kids and yet so much triumph and endearing love.  I admire you all my friends.

Kate I appreciate you checking up on me.  My appointment was a bit difficult, I was there 2 hours.  I wanted to talk about my bladder problems but she was far more concerned about the chest pain.  She was frankly pretty upset I had not gone to the ER.  Of course now she is going to set me up with a cardiologist and she wants a complete cardiac workup.  They will arrange that.  She said next time I have any chest pain I am to go to the ER RIGHT AWAY.  I can't say I am surprised.  She ordered blood work so did that, but she ordered a urinealaysis and that was a pain.  I could not force myself to go and it took a ton of water and three trips to the restroom to finally get a sample.  A few hours later my pharmacy called, I had a prescription to pick up.  Cipro, so again I have a UTI.  That is not the worst of my bladder issues but at least I can get rid of the current infection.  Kate I still made your lemon cakeballs.  I am so happy your legs are getting better!

Much love to all, I am short of time right now but will write more later.  HUGS!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2013

I just came home from my MO appointment and I am very discouraged. He said that because chemo is having a great affect on my leg that he wants me to do 6 months of chemo and not 4. What???? I thought if there was a good response to chemo it would be 4 and not 6. Because I don't want to hear bad news I didn't ask. Originally he said I would live at least as long as 2 years. I asked him today if that means continual chemo and he said there are chemo breaks. OMG I would not do continual chemo to stay alive. With every 6 hour treatment my hair is getting thinner, and hair is a big issue for me. If I look good I feel good and if I look bad I feel terrible. Not to mention constipation, cramps ,fatigue etc. He said the news is good because my leg is getting better, but I did not view what he had to say as good news. Also he has postponed the CT scans and visit to the urologist till after my July round of chemo. OMG I have only done 1/3 of the chemo with a minimum of 4 months to go.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2013

(((Kate))) - Breathe!.....Breathe, brave princess warrior! We're here you're not alone...let it out!

You have a great MO...a great team...process and trust. You are a fighter and your body is kicking #€€. Your body is doing such a supper job that MO wants to give c the final one two punch! He knows you are making great progress.

Not just at least 2 years, but more life...you are so worth the fight. So don't get ahead of yourself and panic...breathe...

You have 2 weeks off for Bday! Parties:) Plan another trip to the Windy City.

Hair hair hair...understand! Mine has gone from thick to thin to thinner. I got me some hair...going to test wear with girls Friday! 3 new styles...gives new insight on a bad hair day...but I don't care cause I'm alive Kickin it!

When we first moved here this one neighbor most beautiful hair I was so jealous...after lunch one day I invited her to join our kayak group...she shared that she was doing chemo and would pass for a few months. Bamb, realized why her hair was so perfect always...funny never would have guessed

She is still a TX knockout...beautiful inside out!

Just like you a beauty inside out...

Stand strong warrior! Your body is fighting...our prayers are being answered!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Hi Cindy, Thanks for the pep talkj. I can always count on you for support. I guess when I first hear news that is not great I panic and then I calm down. I am here all alone without a signifigant other, and hair is a big issue for me. If I had to see myself bald with grey stubbles I honestly would rather be dead. I look ridiculous in a wig, and I would be totally depressed if I lost all of my hair. I will give up chemo before it would come to the point that I needed a wig. Believe it or not I am not all that vain, because I never did facelifts or anything of that nature, but hair is of major importance to me. My MO keeps saying my hair will just thin a little with this type of chemo, but even with hair extensions my hair looks thin.

Janis I am sorry that you had trouble doing a urine sample. Glad that you will see a cardiologist for your chest pains.

Thanks for the lemon cake balls. I hope you are drinking the wine I brought to the pocket party to forget this aggravating day for both of us.

xoxo,

Kate 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2013

Well Janis I am glad the voice of authority told you to use the ER when necessary (and I hope it isn't!) A cardio workup sounds like a good plan to rule the scary stuff out. 

Kate I'm sorry you have to do more chemo, but it is such good news that it is working!  One treatment at a time warrior woman! And if IF your hair becomes an issue then have some fun with a beautiful wig or two.  I know you will rock it!   

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Hi Sab,

Thanks so much for your support. The issue about hair is not how I will look in a wig when I go out. The issue is I refuse to see myself bald with gray stubbles. It would depress the hell out of me.

xoxo,

Kate

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

Janis - glad you met with Dr and resolved issue...chest pain...go to ER! Good to have a complete cardio work up. My goal when I return in Nov...a baseline especially with HT.

Sorry about the bladder infection:( hope it brings relief quickly! Drats these bodies are high maintenance some days!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Kate my friend it's what is inside that counts.Don't put so much importance on physical apperance .If I believed everything everybody told me I would feel really ugly.I was told by many kids when I was little that I was ugly and They called me 4eyes .I was bullied by kids even through high school.Now I have a husband that tells me I'm beautiful everyday.The only day I really felt beautiful was on my wedding day.You are a beautiful person inside and out.

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Janis I'm so glad you went to the doc and she's doing a cardiac work up on you.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited June 2013

Thanks everybody for the kind congrats on my party.  Cindy, cathartic is the right word.  And the house is so clean, makes me feel calmer every time I look around.  The only trouble is, my datebook got swept up into the cleaning....  I have to find it.  Anyway, it was a great day and I'm so glad we did it.  We are very proud of ourselves.  Maybe I'll have some refrigerator buddies soon!

Kate, I am sure you are discouraged, but I heard lots of good news in there.  It's going to take longer than you wanted, but that's because it's worth doing.  It sounds as if it's way too soon to envision yourself with no hair.  Meanwhile your next two weeks are going to be packed with fun and love and partying.  I hope you can feel ready soon to go back to your usual positive outlook.  You're so good at that, and I've learned so much from you.

Janis, I'm glad the doctor is taking the cardiac issues seriously.  I hope the UTI clears up pronto.  Those things are no darn fun. 

Bunkie, I'm so sorry to hear about your marathon migraine.  You are carrying a heavy sack of troubles.  One by one (if not faster) I hope things can get taken out of the sack.  The house alone is such an endurance test, and then there are the other things. It is so hard without a strong community.  I've been shocked at how much this community has rallied for me.  I've lived here 9 years, but I still feel like a new arrival.  I'm lucky to have multiple circles of people, between my campus, my kids' classmates' families, and more recently this sweet mellow church we go to (a new thing for us, as we are not really church people).  It's a very small town, but unfortunately it has a lot of experience with cancer and other serious illnesses.  In any case, I'm looking forward on your behalf to the day you can get done with this phase of your life and feel better.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

OK I just got much better news from my MO. I emailed and told him I was feeling depressed after my appointment today and here is what he said " I can't perdict where we will be after this current chemo. We may be doing very well, and not need more chemo for the forseeable future" OMG that is much better news to know there is hope that after 6 months of chemo I might be done with chemo. He has made me feel so much better. Now I am ready to be a warrior, and do whatever is necessary for the next four months of chemo to have the chemo end after that. My last treatment of chemo will be October 6. So now bring on the birthday parties yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

xoxo,

Kate

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

(((Kate))) - you are amazing and have an amazing MO!

Breathe princess warrior..,birthday girl:)

The silver lining of your warrior coat is shining....Oct doable.

My 6 mo checkup is in Nov...maybe we...yes, WE CA girls and some other pocket travelers can plan a Nov celebration !

Hummmm would be fun and milestones to celebrate :)

Yeah yeah yeah...rest up and bring on the birthday celebrations...PARTIES:)))

• josie123
    edited June 2013

.photobucket.com/albums/l611/JH9531/JOANN-PC/facebook_-897443951.jpg

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2013

Cindy, LOL it’s getting wild...

Brook, I have started chipping away the hours for that extra week off. 

SAB, thanks for the photo approval.  That’s gd (5 yrs.) who will be moving. 

Bunkie, so sorry you are having pain.  There is so much going on...just wish you could get the house issues resolved.  Stress doesn't help.

Kate what a day of emotional ups and downs.  It doesn't sound like anything has changed - just that your MO is looking at different perspectives.  I've said many times that we shouldn't try looking too far down the road...because we can't see it anyway.  You are entitled to your feelings about your treatment and the SEs.  I have seen you rise up and face this dreadful disease and you will do what it takes to adapt.  I hope you can enjoy and make the best of the next 2 weeks and your birthday break.  Sending thoughts and prayers every day...

Oh Janis, what next??  It just never ends with the appointments and tests...but the cardio update is a good idea.  Hope you will have a better night and tomorrow.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2013

Kate I have been out for dinner and driving my dad home.  He just called me to tell me what a wonderful day he had.  It was all so worth it to see him so joyful today.  I got him new summer bedding, so I made sure his bed was fresh and ready for him before we left him.  I am glad you emailed your doctor and that he was reassuring to you.  It sounds like when you were in his office, he was just throwing ideas around and of course he hasn't seen any CT results or heard any results from the urologist.  By all indications your chemo is working very well.  Your legs began to improve even earlier than expected.  It is all good!!  Time for you to relax a bit, give yourself a mental break from all of this, and have a wonderful birthday week.  Celebrate as many times as you can.  Party down!  Maybe we will make you a girly girl tiara to wear with your warrior coat.  What are your favorite gems?  You need some power gems in your crown.

It would be so much fun to have a pack of refrigerator friends.  We bought this townhouse seven years ago.  I hardly know my neighbors here.  People who bought these to live in back then, are now moved away and renting them out.  We didn't bargain for this.  We were beginning to be a community at first, now we don't know anyone and it is not great.  My sister has a townhouse across the driveways, but she lives in Boston most of the time.  It is fun when she and her DH are in residence.  We do lots of fun things.  But at our age, if you are new in the community and don't have kids, and aren't part of an organized religion church, it is difficult to meet people.  I have some family around, but girlfriends are the best.  We have such a great group here.  We all need to move next to each other in a couple of cul de sacs somewhere warm and lovely in the winter and moderate in the summer.  And no basements (right Bunkie) and no tornadoes or hurricanes either.  I think we are all moving closer to Kate.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Josie, love the pictures of the walk!!  What a lovely smile you have, and the picture of your kids is so sweet!  

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Whoa SAB those cupcakes, ice cream and the chips sound wonderful.  Yum!  I would love to taste those.

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Thanks Gigil My oldest DD finally helped me get the pics posted.She uploaded the app for photo bucket on my kindle.The people in the pics are my peeps from work.

• josie123
    edited June 2013

When My friend from work that took the pics posts more on Facebook I will post some of my family and I

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Cindy, I would love to have a Nov celebration. Let our Birthdyay parties begin Wahoo!

Josie I wasn't able to see your photos

Joan you are right about taking one day at a time. I feel so much better after the email from my MO. Now I am ready to birthday party my butt off lol.

Gigil you are right I do need to relax. When I hear a tiny bit of bad news I panic and then I calm down. I am totally ready to celebrate. Wow! I would love a girlie girl tiara. Of course my favorite Gem is a diamond, and then I love emeralds. bling, bling, and more bling I love it.

xoxo,

kate

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Diamonds and emeralds in your birthday tiara.  You will be looking gorgeous!!  Time to celebrate your birthday and forget everything else but having a wonderful time for many days in a row.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Here you go Kate.  Just for you

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Josie, when you paste your photos, try clicking on the green tree square above and then paste the instant copy code.  Then press insert.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2013

Janis, you know we've all been hollering, "ER," and are thrilled that the voice of authority has made it clear that that's the way to go, and your hubby knows you might just wake him up for a little moonlight drive.  That said, there are certainly other causes for chest pain.  Gall bladder, reflux, and esophageal spasm are the ones I can think of right now.  Anyway, a cardiac workup is a great thing for calming any fears.  But what a bummer that your NP didn't really address your bladder issues!  I'm glad she identified the UTI, and maybe fixing that up will help, but I hope you won't let her off the hook about a urologist referral.  And aren't bladders annoying--emptying when we want them filled, stubbornly full when we want them empty!