Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2013

Thank you Gigi, it is always good to stop for a moment and think of others and how they have been affected.  

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2013

SAB, my daughter, who is 38 is there 24/7 with a son who has double disabilities.  He has SMA and is on the spectrum as well.  I admire her so much for her dedication to my grandson and for all she does every day to keep it real for him.  He is a very bright guy and can tell you everything you want to know about almost any airplane that flies.  He is a master speller, yet he doesn't like to read and he struggles with math.  It is such an uneven learning and memory situation.  He can tell us what our flight numbers and room numbers at the hotel were from each trip we have taken to Disney (and we've taken at least 20 since he's been born), but multiplying fractions, or word problems?  He is lost.  He also struggles to finish a task.  He tends to drift.  She tried him on a medication this year, and although it made him stick to his tasks, it also made him cranky and not too kind to his paraprofessional.  These types of learning disabilities are so hard to put a finger on.  

• SAB
    edited June 2013

Gigi, it is so true that spectrum disorders can be very puzzling.  I am reading Ido in Autismland now.  The child who writes the book is affected far, far more severely than my dd but it gives me just a tiniest clue, and some extra compassion when my patience is running thin. Blessings on your DD for her dedication.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

SAB I will look for that.  Another great book that I have read is Look Me in the Eye, My Life with Aspergers by John Elder Robison.  It tells the story from the eyes of this man who is the brother of the author Augustun Burrows.  He tells about how life went for him, and how he adapted it to be a successful man who is very well known for the guitars he has made for such bands as KISS.  I really enjoyed it.  My SIL has a son who is on the low functioning end of the spectrum.  She has tried everything including metal chelation to help him.  He eats a completely gluten free diet.  If anything I have seen him sinking more and more into the world of non-communication  A few years back you could give him a long math problem and he would pace from side to side and then give you the correct answer.  He also can memorize maps or routes in a flash.  Now he has gotten very tall and is quite a basketball player.  My husband is 6'4" tall.  Peter's whole goal was to be as tall as him  He is almost there!!  My SIL is amazing too.  I have these two women who inspire me every day.

• SAB
    edited June 2013

Gigi, and I will look for that title! Augusten B. is one of my favorite contemporary writers by the way. Thank you, I love getting book recommendations. I'm sure you inspire your SILs too!

• gigil
    edited June 2013

SAB he is one of my favorites too, which initially drew me toward his brother's book.  Thanks, I try to help them understand...  it is a lot to figure out.  Guess the spelling is Augusten Burroughs.  I didn't think it looked right when I typed it.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2013

Macatac...I love the quote too....puts it all in perspective doesn't it? Glad to hear the water aerobics are helping so much. I was going to swim this week, but that hasn't happened. I think I just made a promise to myself that I'm going next week. This old body needs to feel weightless. Good luck on your restart. I've often wondered whether my lack of SE's from Arimidex might be due to the fact that I took it for a month between surgery and then quit it for the 7 weeks of rads. So, fingers crossed for you...

Janis...are you selling like mad? All the tables empty yet?

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2013

I did not have a good day yesterday at all. I had stomach cramps from constipation almost all day. Today I feel a little better, and going to have a girly-girl evening. My hairdresser is coming over around 5 to cut and blow out my hair. My doctor friend asked me to go and see Gatsby with her. I hope she wants to go tomorrow and not today. I am worried about her again. She went back to yoga after a week off, and the pain in her arm came back. She had an mri late Thursday but won't get the results back till Monday. That sucks because now she has the weekend to worry. I pray that it is tendonitis. After this episode I am afraid her doctor will tell her no yoga or surfing for a month and that is terrible news for her. She surfs every weekend when the weather is right and she goes to yoga 5 times a week. Being a surgeon she must protect her arm.

Monday it is back to chemo for me, but only a 30 minute treatment. Monday late afternoon I have an appointment with my MO. He is going toi set up CT scans to see what progress chemo has on my ugly cancer cells. Waiting for the news will be a little scary, but since my leg is better I am hoping it is good news. Did it have any affect on the distant spots on my lungs yet is what I worry about. May 15 scans saw no change which some view as good news. He will also schecdule an appointment with ny urologist to find out what changes he sees.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend

xoxo,

Kate

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited June 2013

GOOD luck Kate! I hope your scans come out great.

(((((hugs to all))))

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Thank you Science Gal!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2013

Sorry I having posted in a few days.My youngest DD has been acting out every evening when I pick her up from my MIl or my mom's house after summer camp.It makes for a very long ride home even though it's only 10-15 minutes.Finally I think I got to the root of the prob she admitted I don't spend enough time with her.I get home and plop down on the couch with my kindle and don't pay much attention to anyone after work.I by think she's jealous.She says I'm on this thread too much.Well maybe I am but I put it away and I just kind of feel that she is watching TV why should I remain available.After all she is 10.I literally haven't cooked a meal all week We just been eating random stuff like pancake/sausage on a stick,cereal,little Caesars etc..They definitely haven't starved.Then Friday night I had a tire blow on the highway on the way home from work.Lucky my hubby is a tow truck driver.We were trying to get down to the hotel for the night.We did the race for the cure this morning in downtown St.Louis .It was very emotional and overwhelming .I didn't get us out of the race in time to do the short walk.It ended up we all walked the 5k.Wow I thought I was going to die!!!I really didn't think I would make it.Good thing I didn't realize we were doing the long walk or I would have gave up.And we couldn't stay together so we did eventually find each other near the end.The hotel was beautiful and worth every penny.We were on the 14th floor with a great view of the arch It was like you could reach out and touch it it was so close.

• mainegirl
    mainegirl Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2013

Runfree16, I just read 'After Breast Cancer' (Musa Mayer) and found it to be excellent. I asked my sister to read it so that when I'm having a tough time I can vent to her and she'll understand. Just can't bear to dump all this on my DH. He's been my rock and is so relieved its almost over. I will have Herceptin every 3 weeks thru December and exchange surgery in the fall...but certainly the worst is behind us.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Josie, good for you on finishing the 5K!!  I am sure you had all kinds of mixed emotions.  Glad you enjoyed the hotel.  We really do live in an electronic age.  We are all on our computers, iPads,  handheld games, smart phones too much.  It is a way we all stay connected now though.  I do think there are lots of advantages to that.  There are the pro's and the con's.  My DH and I were in a restaurant one day next to a family of 4 - a mom, a dad, a son and a daughter.  Each one of them were looking at their smart phones and they literally did not say a word to each other, or look at each other through the whole meal.  That was enough to make us both notice.  My husband says so many people nowadays have what he calls "the posture".  We are hunched down reading something in our hands and responding to it.  I do it as much as the next guy.  It is a great escape, to be sure.  Maybe you can compromise and have a Mom's time to herself, and then Mom's time with her daughter.  It doesn't have to be one or the other, right?  You work hard, and I am sure you need some down time when you get home.  I know I do.

• SAB
    edited June 2013

Awesome Josie!  Now you know what you are capable of!

I hope this doesn't offend, but we were out last month for a family lunch and my dd the younger was texting under the table.  DD the elder looked at her straight-faced and said "Are you smiling at your vagina again?"  That stopped the texting! (Temporarily.) 

Kate, it is time for good news for you, and for your lovely bs friend as well. I'm sorry you had a tough week.  Hoping for great scans and an easy week.

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Thanks Gigil,

It was really emotional.I don't want everyone to get the wrong idea about me I don't text or anything like that I've been really tired this week.That fatigue has crepes back in a little and I've been Pushing myself this week.Thursday night I was so tired . that I felt like my legs wouldn't carry me.It grabs a hold of you and pullsyou down by the feet(the fatigue)

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Josie, I think you should just take care of yourself and take as much down time as you need to.  It is hard on the family when we have to do that, but it is so necessary sometimes.  If you don't listen to your body and take the downtime when you need it, you will pay for it later, surely.  It is harder for our younger ones to realize what we are dealing with.  Besides just getting over rads such a short while ago, you have had all of that dental stuff that you are dealing with, and post graduation fatigue.  You just need a break!!!

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Hi Sab,

Funny story about your dd's. Thanks so much for your well wishes, and for my surgeon friend as well. I will see her tomorrow. We are going to see Gatsby. I haven 't been to the movies for awhile, so it should be a nice escape for me. I am thinking positive about the Ct scans. I think that if my leg is showing so much improvement that there should be a good sign of the ugly cancer cells being killed off.

When do you come to LA again? Would love to go to lunch with you.

xoxo,

Kate

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2013

Hi y'all

Luv the girl, family, life talk :) we have friends and their kids all sit around on their phones/pads together but not...even in Maiu...I'm confused real or virtual vacation/activities. We talk at the table and still sit around camp fire telling tall tails and listen to ship to shore on the boat and laugh at all the silly people on the radio!

Kate - twirl in the magic princess warrior coat...now curl up...there (((squeeze))) :) sending positive vibes for a great Sunday and good test/scan results. Hoping Mondays short chemo is gentle and you begin to feel better soon...also your friend. Donut time:)

Josie - Wow race for the cure 5K! You go girl! That is emotional:). Proud of you! Kids:) everyone reacts different...but we all want our moms...or our dads...just something about those strong caring arms telling us everything is gonna be ok! Her way of saying I Luv U!

SAB - elder DD has a sense of humor:) sisters ha!

Mainegirl - think I'll check out the book...yeah exchange surgery coming...there is light and it's not rads zapping.

Janis - how much $$$ did yard sale yield...a lot of work, but nice to share the goodies :)

Mac - like the quote ...splash splash mermaid :)

Sew - thinking of you...family ...brother..Fathers Day my brother would do a big BBQ for dad alway the party guy! He gave private cooking lessons in Vail/Santa Fe his parties in magazines.

RunFree - Happy Thank You Party...fun and emotional too! Take pics there's much to celebrate..are you wearing one of those.pretty new dresses?

GiGil - we need your DH to be our natural oncologist and help us with our east meets west...:). Fun with grand kiddies:) tomorrow!

Everyone else ...behave sort of:) Jump for joy:)

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Cindy, Thank you for the well wishes. Your posts are a delight.

Janis thinking of you and hoping your garage sale is a huge success.

Sew thinking about you also, and hope you and your family can have as peaceful a fathers day as possible

I hope everyone takes care of their dear hubbies on Father's Day and has a wonderful time

xoxo,

Kate

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

Oh GiGil - 2 weeks today!

Yes, 2 weeks...that tiny white pill and I have an understanding...behave I'm bigger and badder and gonna win so gulp it down.

Hubby is surprise because I was so adamant about not taking, but the neighbor 3 doors down now has mets and she declined hers...hummm. Pounding the bones at the gym...weight is the same...uneventful next 5 yrs is goal!

Bunkie knows the odds best, but for now open swallow ...

And vegan, no gluten, no soy, no dairy, no no no...today lunch out with DIL and declined the gelato ...but wondering if Bday cake counts lol!

Sweet dreams...oh and any good reads?

Cindy

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Cindy!!  Bravo!!  I am so proud of you.  You are a winner!  I will get my hubby set up in his little clinic and then he can be there for us girls.  Good reads?  I am reading David Sedaris right now.  I love his writing.  This one is a bit darker, but I am enjoying it.  Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls.  

I went out today to get my DH a decadent Father's Day gift  I got him an excellent bottle of Cabernet called Duckhorn.  It is a Napa wine and came highly recommended by the wine seller.  I also got him a gel writer Cross pen since he loves a nice pen and the new Dan Brown book Inferno.

I bought my dear old dad some deep pocket sheets for his bed, since his aggravate him and an Egyptian cotton blanket for summer.  I also got him some nice tea cups since he enjoys a nice cup of tea and two great looking shirts.  I never realized when my mother was alive what a very particular guy my dad is.  He likes and appreciates things like good sheets and a good cup of tea.  Now I know where I got that.  Ha! Ha!  It was fun shopping for the men I love and admire today.  We had a lovely rain too which ended in a beautiful evening.  I took a walk and my friend the mourning dove sang to me the whole way.

Cindy, I enjoy your posts too.  You would be so much fun to hang out with.  I can just tell.

Kate you enjoy Gatsby.  I loved it so much, I have seen it twice.  I was enthralled every minute. 

On my way home tonight?  Frozen hot chocolate at Dairy Queen.  I was going to get a plain small cone, but I decided to splurge.  Hence the walk afterward.  

Tomorrow brunch at my younger sister - the bossy one's house.  Good deal, all I have to do is make a fruit salad and show up.  My son and his family will be there too.  Monday is my Dad's birthday.  I am going to take him golfing at his own speed.  No rush, just enjoying some of the best glimpses of nature that one can find and enjoying his company.  My DH will be there too, but he will have his own cart, since he is pretty much a pro calibre golfer.  We will just let him go on ahead.  

How are all of you spending the day tomorrow?  I know where our dear Kate will be.  

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2013

Hi ... after a "long" time away...many pages to read...and I did read them all.
    thanks to those who gave me the "shout out" for being missing...
    I had a busy week...2 trips to NJ to see my darling grandaugthers...dealing with the depression that is settling in because DD is accepting the new job in boston area (Quincy).  It's a big change... 4.5 hour drive one way vs. 2 hours which I could do there and back in a day.
    Cindy, you mentioned birthday cake...did I miss whose BD it is?  Yours?
    I, like you, have made a commitment to the pill...went from Arimidex to Femara...and I try to adjust my other meds around the Femara.  The SEs are kicking in (about 18 months).  Estrogen is a feel good hormone and a youth hormone.  Without it, I often don't feel so good, and see aging accelerated. But it has not kept me from a single thing in my life.  I just plow through and carry on ... and I have to talk to myself often, saying "focus, focus" to get things done. 
    I am inspired by so much that was written here...am going to rethink my diet (too much cheese, dairy and sugar)...
    Brookside, yup LIers like their therapy; however I resisted for decades.  When I was having emotional abuse issues with DH I went to a therapist who agreed he had a problem but she offered ME medication. I walked out and never went back.  Was so angry and disillusioned. 
    Years later,an accumulation of issues caused me to seek help. I still see my therapist, recommended by my DS#1's ex gf.  She is a certified alcohol counselor and specializes in addiction and reinventing self...my insurance does not cover.
    When I went on anti-depressant, before BC, I had to add a pschyiatric RN.  The RN does not do talk therapy; she only asesses whether the drug is working.
    When I started A.I. drugs, I realized they caused me to feel very down...and am glad that I have the other drug to counter.  Lately, adding other drugs had caused my SEs to blow up and cause pain and cognitibve impairment.  I went off all but the anti-D and A.I. drugs.  My pain is much better, but i have to tell the docs soon. 
    So for all who are making the commitment to the A.I. drug, be sure to get help - talk therapy or anti-depressants, and some pain management.  The SEs are real but they don' t have to take your life away.
    SAB, your daughters are too funny!!!  You shared your older dd's art with me and it is exquisite - a balance of power and acknowledged pain...cloaked in beauty.  She is so talented and I believe she will help others now and in the future through her artistic  expression.  I agree with others here about positive approach vs. punitive regarding DD#2.  But I feel your frustration.  You are running through uncharted territory and there is no map.   

Sending positive thought and healing hugs to everyone here....Sew, Kate, Josie, Run, Mac...and all the special ladies here...I am grateful to know you.

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

Good Morning!

And Happy Fathers Day to all the men of influence in our lives!

GiGil - Sounds like you have a fun day planned and a very sepcial dad:)  GS K sent his dada a card with money for DQ just to carry on the tradition ha!

Joan - Great avatar!  Smiles with the GD:) I too wish that the tx for bc was not so wearing on our body, minds, and souls.  The SEs scare me, but BC scares me more...praying that I can make 6 mos with no SEs...otherwise will have to return to Rancho Mirage ugh!

Kate - Have a relaxing morning and then get all girlie girl for the movies!  Enjoy your day :) oh, Kate we are gettinging into our countdown week...so gear up for Bday time...my first party was yesterday I think I can last for about 10 days ha!  Pic me and my D at 1yr LOL!

RunFree - Expect a report on your wonderful party:)  I think I some sisters were pocket jumping at the party ha:)

Time to hydrate, eat breakfast, and get ready for church...and the blessings of today:)

(((hugs)))

Cindy

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Cindy, I can't wait till our birthday week starts. Yours on the 22nd and mine on the 25th. I plan to party all week. On my birthday Kelly is taking me to PF Changs, and on Friday the 28th Tracy, my doctor friend, is taking me out in Malibu. I can't believe how sweet this is, my social worker already gave me a gift card for my b-day. Bring on the cakes, and the gifts I love every minute of it. No chocolate for me I want a white cake with butter cream frosting. Hint hint Janis lol

Happy Father's day to the wonderful hubby's of all my bc sisters. Take good care of your men today ladies, so they can make it up to you on your b-day, mother's day, and anniversaries lol.

xoxo,

Kate

• josie123
    edited June 2013

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

SusannahW - My therapist is doing the cognitive behavioral therapy also. I had not been to her since before BC and she noticed my agoraphobia and anxiety are much worst. No doubt the winter being alone and closed in put that in motion. Need to get a book on it. Will look for some. Dr Phil had a show on the other day about some strange stuff but I did hear him mention a book called Retrain your Brain. Going to have to look that one up because it mentioned anxiety.

Kate - Glad you are going to the movies today. There was a lot to catch up on but I think I read that. You sound a bit better. Hopefully you will get a good report Monday. Prayers to you.

GiGil - Have a good time with your dad today and try not to bop the mean sister!! You know what I meanCool

Since I don't have kids I do not post much on those topics but you all seem like such concerned wonderful moms. My hat goes off to you all on that topic.

Joan - Yes good you are back. We missed you.

Macatacmv - I wish I could do water aerobics. I used to but developed an allergy to the chlorine used and all the pools in my area use that. Darn it. I did some PT at the local hospital back in 09 and it really helped.

If I missed anyone will post later. Just moving around a bit because I still have a mild migraine. Not as bad as before. My toxic soup of a house is causing it so need to wait for my body to adjust to the latest assault.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

Good morning ladies.  I have been so busy and when not busy, exhausted!  I forgot how much work a garage sale is.  We did well and sold so much stuff.  We didn't have a lot of high ticket items but a lot of stuff.  I am thrilled so much went, because that is less we have to pack up. I priced my earrings at 50 cents a pair and probably sold close to a hundred pairs.  The little girls across the street came over with her parents.  They bought quite a few things.  I know Vanessa is turning 13 next months.  She is a beautiful Hispanic girl with thick black hair.  I told her to pick out some earrings and that would be her birthday present.  I had so many she spent probably half an hour deciding.  She ended up being torn between 2 necklaces and one pair of earrings.  I told her to take them all, then I gave her a silver heart shaped jewelry box to put them in.  She was so thrilled!  She is such a sweet little girl.  I am happy to see a few things go to her.  I was so exhausted last night I literally fell asleep as soon as we had dinner.  I was out cold by 6:00!  My legs were swollen both days after being on my feet for so long.  I will mention it to my PCP tomorrow when I see her. 

Gigil your daughter sounds like a wonderful woman and such an inspiration!  Your grandson is such a doll and how lucky he is to be born into your family.  You taught your daughter well....she is who she is because she had wonderful parents.  Bless you all.  Your family is so joyous!

Josie I am sorry for the difficulty with your daughter.  That is a tender age and those hormaones will soon be in full bloom.  I agree if you could set aside even an hour a couple of times a week would make her feel special.  I think too you should sit and have a quiet, private talk with her about your fatigue.  I am sure the cancer frightened her you know?  It is important she understands how tired you are run ning a household and working and all you do.  As long as she understands you are FINE.......be honest about the med that is keeping your cancer away.  Let her know it helps you but makes you very tired.  You can talk about some special 'quiet' things you want to do together.  She may have some ideas.  I would ask her to make a list of things she wants to do with you in your special time.  She can have things with different activity levels and depending on how you feel, you can chip away at that list.  Tell her to make a nice long list.  She will feel so special knowing that for that one hour, (or two or whatever you decide) that it is quality time you set aside just for her.  Please, no cell phones allowed!  I am probably the only one here who still lives in the dark ages.  I do not have a cell phone, much less all these other new gadgets.  Just a computer.  My niece has come from Colorado twice to visit, and she is always texting even if we are having a long private talk!  Drives me crazy.  I hope that helps Josie, just a few thoughts but give her that little bit of special time.  I bet you will see a change.  I know how hard it is to try to make everyone happy when you are busy to begin with, then topped off with fatigue.  Even something simple as going to a quiet room and say starting a book together.  You can read aloud a few chapters a night.  I bet she would enjoy that.  Good luck and congrats on that 5K!  Fantastic job!

Joan you are so busy I am happy when I do see you post.  Sometimes I have a hard time keeping up here but I get to the point I miss you all so have to make time to post.  It is not that I am busy all that much, but I too suffer from terrible memory issues.  Lots and lots of brain fog here.  i feel pretty good, I have stiff joints but much better when I move around a lot.   I bet you are upset about DD moving.  It takes about 12 hours minimum for us to drive back home.  We have not been back in three years and it is so upsetting.  I have not seen my sons in far too long, my grandson either.  My sister!  I really envy all you women who have family so close by.  Being away is very difficult.

Kate I am sorry you felt so lousy yesterday.  I so hope today is a much better day for you.  Enjoy the movie, I bet you will love it.  I read the book a zillion years ago and enjoyed it a lot.  I hope your friend gets only good news from her MRI, and you of course too when you have your scans. You know I will have fresh lemon cake balls waiting for you when you finish those scan.  Thanks for the happy thoughts on the garage sale.  I think we can pay off two credit cards which would be awesome.  They aren't huge but annoying.  DH and I each took a few dollars that will not go into the bank.  Yippee!!!Good luck tomorrow Hon.  I know it is a short infusion but you won 't be alone.  I have a doctor appointment at 10:00.  We can have a dual pocket party!

To everyone else that I always forget to mention...have a wonderful day.  I hope those with Dad's close have fun and of course wishing all the hubby's out there enjoy this day!

Love and hugs my friends! 

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Janis I am so glad you did well with your garage sale. How nice it was for you to give your young neighbor those gifts. Paying off credit cards is great.

I will have a dual pocket party with you when I have my morning chemo. What should I get for the party? Then I will need some more lemon cake balls is the eving, because my MO appointment is at 3:45 PST.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Typo of course it should read in the evening

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Hello everyone

I'm pretty tired and have a headache so I'm going to make this short.

Janis great job on the Garage sale.That's a lot of work.And you made enough to pay off 2 credit cards!!

Wow!!I haven't started my tamoxifen yet but thanks for the input on the situation with Claire.She gets more attention then she lets on.But you and everyone had some great ideas about how to handle it and I appreciated that.She will be growing out of wanting me to be with her soon so I'd better take it while I can.Her attitude and smart mouth is what I can't stand when she acts out like that.That's definitely not like her so it kind of odd to see her like that.

We cleaned in the living room today.Now don't get too excited because it's not done yet but it's a start.Both kids and my hubby helped.It was great.I was so proud.Now I'm sitting gathering up the energy to go to the in-laws for father's day.

Have a good evening everyone.