Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited July 2013

Runfree, Janis and Bunkie thank you for the well wishes. Runfree you are amazing that you remembered that Saturday's are better, and it is. I feel better, and finally got out today. OMG it feels so good to be out and about.

xoxo,

Kate

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited July 2013

Kate, that is great to hear.  I know that getting out and about is great medicine!  One more recovery period (the worst of it) done, one less to go.  Donut shop tomorrow maybe?

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2013

Kate - it's Sunday! Ooo whoo today should be your best day:). Doughnut shop and retail therapy at the beach. Still pace yourself...has the leg...need a cheesecake pic!

We will be loading up your pockets for tomorrow's short day...

You got this mighty princess warrior!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited July 2013

I feel for everyone with pets on the 4th. My moms dog used to shiver and run under the bed. I had to drag him out and hold him tight. Last night my neighbor in the back did one complete hour of up in the air popping dropping sprays of fireworks. I mean really??? I kept thinking it would catch a tree on fire and the noise was awful. He has 4 dogs so no telling what they were doing at that time. I always thought it was nice to go someplace open like a park etc to see them and celebrate but that was too close for me. If it had not stopped at 10 I would have reported it but I am trying to be a good neighbor.

I did not sleep worth a bean last night. Was up at 3am wide awake. Maybe I can nap today. We will see. I don't think I will ever catch up  on all the posts but did read them. Will check in soon.

Kate - Good to see you back on track and getting out today. have a fun time at the donut shop. Might go get one myself today. Feeling dizzy so may ask a friend to come get me.

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited July 2013

Hi Bunkie- PLEASE dont drive if you are dizzy!!!I hope your friend can come get you.

It is a beautiful Sunday here in Cali. Kate I hope you are feeling well enough to enjoy it.

And best of all for me- NO radiation appointment!

:)

Hugs to all

• katehudson25
    edited July 2013

Runfree, Cindy, Bunkie and Sciencegal thanks so much for the support. I did chores and now I am going to mc Donalds of all places. its close to where I live and they have free wifi. Thank God its only a short chemo tomorrow, so I should be ok. It is number 8 out of 18. Oct. 6 is my last chemo and it can't come soon enough for me. besides fall is my favorite season.

Bunkie, Sorry you are not sleeping well. That sucks because it affects your whole day. I hope you can nap and also get a good night sleep tonight.

xoxo,

Kate

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2013

Kate - we will get your princess warrior coat packed and laded for tomorrow's short chemo...

You know that commercial with that crazy camel wondering through the office asking what day is it...well soon we will be shouting hump day:)))

Have a Sunday at MacDs...to go with the doughnut :) yummm!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2013

It's a quiet day on here...so I could catch up. 
    DD#3 and familyl met us at the beach today before they left for NJ. My 2 days with Caroline were endless adventures,except that Saturday was her "I don't want to" day... she had me spinning like a top. Best part is, she was happy, and relaxed enough to sleep 2 long naps and a full night.  DD toured the south beach area of Boston and now they are considering moving plans.  She seriously asked me to come with her to care for the kids until DH can join them with a job and house sale.  I wish I were retired....not so.  I checked my union contract and there is no personal leave time without pay that would protect my job.   I took these pix with my cell phone...
    (top pix are Caroline (2) and below is Charlotte (5)

They make me smile.

• joan811
    edited July 2013

Brookside, I noticed you said you have a baby Caroline too - do you get to see her often?
    Kate, back in your pocket tomorrow...so sorry you had to deal with the SEs but I'm glad you are back up and out.  Hang in there...and you know we are here for you on the good days and not so good. 

Janis, I can't believe you did not get any results...do you have to go back to that doc to get the report?   I am so glad for the dog lovers like you...I am clueless around dogs.

Hi Bunkie, hope you catch up on sleep. 
    I was up late last night ... was about to post when I felt something in my hair and saw something crawling on my laptop...turns out there was a swarm of winged ants in the light right behind my head; and all over the screen door and my patio light.  I had to spray...today I vacuumed them up and some were still moving UGH UGH UGH...looks like they are excavating my patio and I may need an exterminator.

Hi beachwalker,sciencegal and bayoubabe. I am a beach walker and a science gal...but I don't know much about the bayou...however, I was on Arimidex and switched to Femara. Joint aches...that's the worst of it.  I had no lasting SEs from rads so far.

Runfree, did your daughter share her travel tales with you?  I hope she took lots of pix.

GiGi, SO happy you got a good report and that you liked the new appointment location. I was very touched by Cole's mishap, but amazed by his smile.  What a treasure!

Josie, how is your DFiL?  I hope things are looking positive.

Back to the gym tomorrow...after some bruised toes.  Like starting over....

SAB, hope you are recovering from your guests! 
    Sew, miss you an hope you are taking a little quiet time for yourself.
    Susannah, hope you can get some resolution for your son.  It must be so frustrating for him and for you.
    Hugs to all,

Joan

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2013

Hi, Joan.  Yes, I'll see baby Caroline the first weekend in August.  They're coming up for another grandchild's birthday (no matter that my birthday is this Thursday!)   This morning I'm waiting for the plumber.  A pipe broke yesterday, leaving me with absolutely no water.  Luckily, the plumber will be here soon and I'll be able to wash my icky hair before my 1:00 appontment.  I took Friday off, so have had a wonderful four day weekend.  Feeling energetic for now, but we'll see. 

So glad you had a good day yesterday, Kate.  Today, you and your glitter-armored princess warrior coat will go get those ever-shrinking uglies.  It's just not going to be their day!

Janis, are you about ready to stomp in and grab that cardiologist by his bowtie (or whatever) and demand your results?

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2013

Joan,what little cuties your granddaughters are darling!I'm sure you'll miss them dearly.

Kate glad you finally got to enjoy your weekend.Have a good day today or at least try to.

Brookside sorry to hear about your plumbing problems.Hopefully they were able to fix the the plumbing.

Bunkie sorry your neighbors were so inconsiderate .

Last year when our grass was so dry our neighbors came home late and had their own fireworks along with about 20of their friends and I literally had to hose by front yard down so it wouldn't catch fire.Someone called the cops on them and it wasn't me .Believe me I was tempted.

We had a quiet weekend here I cut grass and did laundry on Sat then we went Grocery shopping.

Yesterday I was such a bum I literally Sat and read a book on my kindle.

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2013

Thanks for asking, Josie.  Yes, I have running water (yippee!) and as a bonus have identified a mystery leak from the shower that just needs caulking.  I've also learned that my septic needs pumping.  Glad you had a laid back weekend--can't help buy wonder why it is so difficult to give ourselves permission to just chill.

Off to take a shower!

• katehudson25
    edited July 2013

Cindy, Joan, and Brookside thanks so much for the support.

Joan your granddaughters are adorable.

I am at chemo now. I've had the blood draw and I am waiting to be called for the treatment. Thank God only a 30 minute treatment today.

xoxo,

Kate

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 2013

Hi Joan.  I've been busy with family for a few days and the first things I saw when I logged in were your pictures.  what sweet and pretty faces...of course they make you smile.  

Good luck with chemo Kate.

Josie, sitting around reading is pretty much my secret fantasy Smile hope you enjoyed every minute.

Bunkie, I hope you're feeling better today.  I live in the woods and live in terror of fireworks/stupid neighbors.  But we made it through another one.

It was a wonderful family visit,even with dd on crutches.  We had 11 people staying at the house, plus one local who came over every morning.  We swam, ate, hiked, ate, kayaked, ate, rode our bikes, ate, golfed, ate and even went to the gym. We beaded, went to the park, and my db even put an offer in on a house, which he did not get. We are planning to see them again this summer at Lake Arrowhead...I need to recover first!

Sorry for not being all caught up, I hope everyone is well and I will try to read through more posts after I survey the disaster that is now my house.

• katehudson25
    edited July 2013

Sab, glad you had a wonderful time with family on the holiday weekend.

Geez I am at chemo, and their computer broke down, so now I may got stuck here longer than I want to, because their is a delay in getting the results of my blood draw.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited July 2013

Ok  I got out of there sooner then I thought. I feel fine today. It is a gorgeous day in Santa Monica. Sun is shining and not too hot. Going for a nice long walk now.

xoxo,

Kate

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited July 2013

Kate, that is awesome--shorter chemo, feeling good, nice day in a beautiful place!  Do you expect to have a bumpy ride this week Wednesday through Friday, or does that really only happen with the long chemo?

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited July 2013

Hi there everyone.  Joan, your granddaughters are beautiful!!  Such pretty girls.  I have my granddaughter Maya with me for the week, so her mommy and daddy can concentrate on Cole.  His fracture has broken clear through the tibia.  He has to have a closed reduction tomorrow under anesthesia.  Poor guy.  His ortho here in the city says it is okay to go forward with this and he will check him in 12 weeks to see how the bone is healing.  If necessary at that time, he will inject some hardening material into the bone.  The bone had a tumor in it.  It is benign and we knew about it.  It happens when the bone grows too fast, and the bone doesn't fill in.  He had one surgery to fill it in, but his body absorbed.  That is why his leg fractured so easily.  Poor guy was walking out to the car with his walker and went down on both knees on the concrete.  I just cringe to think about it.  He will have to have a cast all up and down his right leg, and also around his waist.  It is going to be awkward for him because he has no strength in the other leg.  He will have to be very inactive for awhile.  He is a busy guy around the farm and he is used to getting on his scooter and exploring.  Thank all of you for caring about him and keeping him in your thoughts.  He is a real trooper, so hopefully he will come through this.  His mommy and daddy are all but exhausted.  They deal with so much.

Joan I have a sister who lives on the south shore of Boston in Cohasset.  She absolutely loves it there.  She and her DH are supposed to be coming to Minnesota for a month, but I haven't heard from them in a few days.

Kate, it sounds like today went well for you.  I am so glad.  You deserve some easier times, after the long chemo treatment.

SAB sounds like you had an action packed 4th.  Fun, but tiring, I am sure.

Janis, how frustrating not to have any real feedback after your tests.  I guess if it was anything to worry about, they would be calling you?  Let's hope?

Brookside, glad you got the water problems fixed.  Nothing better than a shower after being deprived for a couple of days.

Suzannah, RunFree, Josie, SEW, Sciencegal I am thinking about all of you.

Welcome to you new ladies.  There are a lot of very caring and helpful people here.

• joan811
    edited July 2013

Thanks for your kind comments on my photos...little ones are so precious and I just love getting into their little worlds of wonder! 

Brookside,so glad your water's back on. My power went out today for awhile - too many customers using AC, I'm sure.  I also discovered dampness in main floor bedroom and we cannot find the leak.
    I think you should take on the endless birthday week...start any day you like, and maybe we can get Janis to bake Laughing

Kate, glad you got out of there...I always feel more upbeat on a beautiful day. Enjoy the rest of the week.

Gigi, DD went to 3 towns and they are in love with Cohasset.  I think they will try to find a home there.  I will get used to them being further away; but it changes things for me.
    How old is Maya?  It's great that you can be there to help.  I wish I were retired so I could do more with my family near and far.  So sad that Cole will have limited mobility for the summer. He sounds like the type of kid who will make the best of it...just wish he didn't have to go through so much. Hugs and prayers for you and your family...

SAB, I am tired just reading your post. It sounds like you had a great time, even if exhausting!  How is DD recovering? Will she stay awhile longer?

• joan811
    edited July 2013

Thank goodness for phone reminders....

Tomorrow(Tuesday) is my appointment with MO and my 2nd annual mammo since dx (July 2011).  I wasn't nervous last year, but I am feeling a little on edge.
    Last year I had the mammo, was told not to get dressed until I got results; then I got a written "report card" telling me it was clear.

Am hoping for the same.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited July 2013

Joan, it sounds like we are about on the same schedule.  This was my two year appointment as well, and I was sweating it.  I was so glad to see the all clear letter.  It was a bitter sweet day because of Cole.  I will be thinking positive thoughts for you as well.  I know yours will be clear too.  I just feel it.  You will feel as much relief as I did to have that behind you. 

My little Maya is 7.  She is such a joy to have here with me.  I know she is enjoying it too, and her mom and dad can concentrate on Cole right now, while DH and I get our chance to spoil her.  The worst part for Cole, he has to be in a reclining wheelchair for 3 months!!  Such a long time for him.  His mom and dad will make sure he has anything they can think of to keep him occupied, and I will visit him often as well.  We will help them make it through.

• joan811
    edited July 2013

Thank you, Gigi...not sure why I am more on edge this year...
    Sorry to hear Cole has to be reclining for 3 months...
    I am sure it is a comfort for Mom and Dad to know that Maya is being cared for with so much love. 

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2013

Oh, poor Cole.  Poor parents.  Poor grandparents.  On top of everything else, this is just a nightmare.  I suppose there is no other option?

Joan, I'll also be seeing my MO today, and the radiation NP as well, so let's just hold each other's hand.  Had the mammo last week, and all was fine.  As you suggested, I'll start celebrating my birthday today (after the medical stuff, of course), rather than waiting all the way until Thursday.

April, how are you doing?  Hoping this rotten weather is not affecting your asthma.  Thank goodness you quit the cigs!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2013

Gigi sending tons of happy thoughts today for little Cole.  Healing hugs.  My brother tore a ligament in his knee when he was 13.....beginning of summer and we already had a planned trip to Disneyland.  Back then they didn't have all the wonderful braces and things.  Poor Rich was in a solid cast from his ankle to the top of his thigh.  Needless to say it was tough happening right at the beginning of summer.  We did go to Disneyland, but all the rides he wanted to go on he couldn't.  Cole is so bright and I hope he can find things to do to keep him busy.  Maybe you could suggest he start a journal and track all the events from his fall and just keep writing his thoughts about the healing process.  Just a thought.

Joan your granddaughters are so pretty!  They look like happy spirited little ones.  I know how much you enjoy the time you spend with them.  Keep having fun, you are making memories for those little ones.

Kate, I am glad you only had a short treatment yesterday.  How are you feeling?  I hope each day you feel stronger.  How is the leg swelling now?  You haven't mentioned it so I hope it is getting back to normal.  Also wondered howe Tracy is doing?  I know how worried you have been about her.  Hugs Kate!

Brookside.....I finally called the cardiologist's office yesterday morning.  I had to leave a message with his nurse.  She called a few hours later and said that everything in the stress tests were normal.  Normal, now there is a word I like a lot!  It only took eleven days to get an answer.  Really, how hard would that have been just to let me know.  I did not like this man to begin with, so I am thrilled that our relationship ends here.  I absolutely did not like this man, he was borderline rude and I never felt like he cared one way or the other about my concerns.  I am so done with this old man.  :)

• joan811
    edited July 2013

Janis, so good to hear the "normal" word and so glad you don't have to deal with that guy again. I hope you find another cardiologist to follow you routinely. 
    Are you still feeling well?  Hope so! Is the heat wave subsiding?
    Thank you for your comment on my photos.  We always have fun!

Brookside, so glad your mammo was clear and yes, let's hang on as we go through these appointments together!  I am hoping for the most uneventful day. 
    And wishing you the start of a great birthday! 

• katehudson25
    edited July 2013

Hi Runfree,

Thanks so much for the support. The very bumpy ride is only when I have the long chemo, so hopefully I won't feel bad this week. There definitely isn't nausea with the short chemo. but I will still have some exhaustion and constipation problems.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited July 2013

Gigil,

I am so sorry about Cole's fracture. Cute guy surely didn't need this. I hope he heels as quickly as possible.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited July 2013

Joan and Janis thanks so much for the support

Brookside and Gigil I will be in your pockets and supply wine for the party.

I am feeling fairly good this morning and I am grateful

xoxo,

Kate

• Alicethecat
    Alicethecat Member Posts: 77
    edited July 2013

Hello Just Me Janice

It was the posts from ladies a few months ahead of me that kept me going during the rads!

At the time, I hated that treatment. Made me feel very vulnerable and sad when I was lying on that cold, hard table.

Now, I'm so glad I did rads. Did everything I could - and that helps me a lot.

Wishing for good things for you.

Alice

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2013

Alice you said something so important.....that you did everything you could.  That is awesome.  As much as we often dread treatment, we know that with each treatment we are kicking that cancer right out to the curb.  I know the feeling of being on that cold hard table.  All for a reason though isn't it?  I am glad you found some comfort reading our posts.  Often this group gets silly and wanders through various subjects.  It doesn't matter, we are always here to help!  I am so glad you are doing so well.

Brookside......a very happy early birthday wish for you.  I hope you find many things to celebrate.  Do something fun for your birthday...you deserve it.

Joan I am feeling really good.  I still have to have a urologist consult.  I am hoping he can find some answers for me.  I feel great though.  I so wish the weather would give us a break.  It is supposed to hit 100+ today and in the days ahead.  I just can't handle the heat.  I definitely have to hibernate and not do anything outdoors after noon.  Just way too hot for me this summer so far.  :(