Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2013

Good luck tomorrow, Giggil (is that pronounced "Giggle," or  "G.I." or "Gigi", or maybe not pronounced at all?  You'll feel so much better when it's over.

Josie, of course it wasn't you, and he could have (and did!) picked up the virus or bacteria anywhere.  I know what you mean, of course--when visiting new babies, I put on clean clothes, wash my hands, then obsess about my perfectly clean clothing and fear the evil eye from the momma.  Nurses and doctors with colds just wash their hands and wear masks.  Perfectly healthy daughters-in-law with Lady MacBeth-clean hands offer love, not germs.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited July 2013

Gigil, How are Margaritos and tacos for your pocket party?

xoxo,kate

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited July 2013

Hi there sisters!!  I am home and all is well.  The mammo was completely normal.  Praise God!!  And my surgeon examined me carefully and said she finds nothing worrisome at all.  I had two brown speckles on my nipple that I was worrying about, and she just told me to keep lotioning that breast as it gets very dry for a long time afterward.  After she examined me, I had to sit and wait for a bit to get the mammo results.  At first I felt more than a little panicky.  We all do when we are waiting for test results.  This is the two year mark for me, and I always read that a large proportion of recurrences happen in that second year.  It feels good to be past that milestone.  While I was waiting for those results, I thought of the pockets in the skirt I was wearing.  I felt all of you in there, and it made me smile.  If only all of those medical people knew how full my pockets were with my sisters here and also the party.  I did enjoy the margaritas and tacos.  It was a fitting celebration.  Then my DH and I went to the movie with Sandra Bullock and Mellissa McCarthy.  It was good to laugh.

On a more serious note however, my 10 year old grandson - the one with SMA feel today and broke his femur.  He had such a limited ability to walk and this fracture may make walking a thing of the past for him.  He was walking out to his dad's truck with his walker and fell on a garden hose that had been stretched over the driveway.  I am absolutely so sad for him and his mom and dad.  They have so much to deal with and now this.  He is immobilized with his leg stretched out in front of him.  His summer is going to be much more laid back.  He was all over the farm on his motorized scooter, and now he will be taking it pretty easy.  The challenge will be to get him enough exercise to keep his lungs strong.  

Kate, glad you have today done with.  You take it easy my friend, and do things at your own pace.  I know those meds will help you feel better in no time.  

Brookside, my actual name is Virginia, but everyone has always called me GiGi and the L is my last initial.  When thinking of a user name on some sites, it is amazing how many GiGi's there are.  

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited July 2013

Kate - I wrote a long one yesterday too and it went poof. Tired today but wanted to see how you were feeling after the long treatment yesterday. I was thinking about you today.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited July 2013

Gigil - Congrats on the test results!!! Yeah!!! Glad it is all over and done with. Yes I was in your pocket for sure.

I am so sorry about your grandson falling. Not what he needs. Hopefully it will be ok and he will do well.

• gigil
    edited July 2013

Bunkie, always trying to see the upside, this might slow him down and make him more deliberate.  He was running pretty wild out there on the farm and I was a little worried about him.  Mom and Dad will be keeping a pretty close eye on him too.  Hopefully this situation will keep him out of harm's way for the rest of the summer.  I will have to try and help my daughter out some.  She deals with so much.

This girl is doing a dance of happiness and gratitude tonight!!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2013

Hi y'all

GiGil - we are in your pocket...crumbs...flags...wet bathing suits...watermelon...short cake...we are coming prepared! Sending happy thoughts:)

Kate - hang in there...fingers&toes crossed for the week not to be crappy...just demo kicking those bad guys out of here! (((Squeeze)))

Josie - sorry about your FIL:( but please do not take on any guilt...you bring him only good things...:)

RunFree - do you ave your list of questions for dd? Ha you will be so busy sharing that time will fly...how wonderful for such a cool adventure:)

SAB - party time...yeah the gang is all here :)

April - beautiful view...ah! Want to kayak on lake :)

Joan - fun time with dd and grand kids...you make :) memories!

Brookside - yummy! Strawberry shortcake...fav...sounds like fun:)

Susan, Janis, Sew, and y'all countdown for the 4th celebration :)

Not sure what is on our dance card...keeping options open.

I made a point to go out this morning 'full clothed' like a normal person and chat with my neighbor. Ha...I do have clothes. Asked them about the 2 windows on side facing our bathtub...guest bedrooms yew:). I'm too use to living out in country with no one able to see in....and I refuse to keep my shade down.

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited July 2013

Gigi, so glad to hear your good news!! I felt a shiver of joy when I read that you got an all clear. But I am saddened bynthe news of your grandson's fall. I hope it does not end up,changing things for him. I had my own battle today with the manager of my son's group home. It hurts when things don't work out right for our kids with disabilities-and for all our kids and grands.

Anyway, I'm going to concentrate on your good news in my mind.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited July 2013

GiGiL, that's wonderful news about reaching the two-year mark!  Congratulations!  I am interested to know that the dryness keeps going for that long.  I guess I won't be done lubing my boob anytime soon.  (Still itchy!)  So sorry to hear about your grandson, though.  Goodness, what a setback.  As you say, there may be a silver lining.  I hope he can get used to sitting still but not too still.  Will there come a point when he can get a cast he can swim in, or do some sort of water therapy?  Is there any such thing?  Or does he have good enough upper-body strength that he could do some major wheeling around and keep relatively fit?

Susannah, I'm sorry to hear about the go-round with that manager.  What a frustration. 

Cindy, after living with no neighbors in view, it would really cramp my style to have someone able to see into my side windows again!  And with all your free-boobing that is a real consideration.  I hope the new neighbors are nice and good people.  It makes such a difference.

My daughter's teacher put a couple of group pictures from Madrid on Facebook tonight, first contact we've had.  It was so good to see my girl!  Can't wait to get her back and hear all about it.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited July 2013

Run free, thank goodness for facebook! How good it will feel to hug your daughter when she steps off the plane! What a connection we have with our kids!

• gigil
    edited July 2013

Thank you all for the concern in regard to my grandson.  He is quite a little fighter.  He does not however like the idea of medical intervention.   He had a gap in his femur in the first place - a tumor of sorts where it was hollow.  It sometimes happens when a kid grows very quickly.  He had to have a surgery to inject calcium into the space.  The body eventually reabsorbs the calcium and sometimes the procedure has to be repeated.  There was a small gap beginning in the bone once again.  The ortho doc was waiting to see him in the second week of July.  Easy fracture is one of the things they were looking to avoid.  Unfortunately no matter how hard you try, you can't protect a 10 year old boy adequately enough.  Darned garden hose was an oversight that I am sure his dad is miserable about.  Besides the SMA he is on the spectrum and deals with Aspergers or PDD possibly.  It tends to move him toward being very opinionated about some things and medical intervention is one of them.  He does not like to go to doctors, see medical procedures on TV or have anyone talking in medical terms about him.  That is going to be a challenge for my DD and SIL.  I can sometimes serve to ease his fears.  I will try to be there for them, at least some of the time. 

• gigil
    edited July 2013

RunFree the dryness goes on and on, as does tenderness in the armpit region.  I had to use an electric razor there so as not to gross out my breast surgeon with whatever small tufts of hair have grown back.  Ouch!!  I had to use A and D ointment on it overnight.  I do not dare use a conventional razor there.  I was told not to.  I still use Aveeno bath liquid to shower with.  If I use anything else on that breast, I get a rash.

Susannah,  it is so difficult advocating for our kids with disabilities.  There is so much that even those trained to work with them overlook or become callous about.  My daughter is a fierce mama bear when it comes to her cub.  I am proud she is.  She does it in such a skillful way most of the time, the people she works with think it is their idea.  She is always on the job, as I am sure you are too.

RunFree I know you are going to be so glad to give your girl the biggest hug when she gets home.  It helps to be able to see a picture doesn't it?  I just saw a picture of my little grandson sitting out in the sun, with his leg extended and it helped somehow.  

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2013

Yippee! GiGil :) yippee a great mammo Ooo who:)

Hugs to gs on femur:( ouch

• gigil
    edited July 2013

Here is my little darling.  

• RunFree16
    edited July 2013

Aw, poor little dude in the hot jeans and immobilizer!  But he's smiling!  I do get why the picture made you feel better.

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2013

Gigil, I'm so pleased you have the all clear.  Now you can really relax and enjoy the summer.  But that poor, gorgeous little boy!  And just at the start of summer vacation!  One of my grandkids broke her arm a few weeks ago and I'm told they have some sort of sleeve that will let her go in the water.  Don't know if they've tried it out yet, or if it's actually submersible, but whatever it is, it must be available for leg casts as well, and it's sure got to allow more water play than nothing. 

Cindy, your new neighbors are really lucky to have you right next door.  Incidentally, my mother always said it's the neighbors who have the obligation of closing their curtains.  Not surprisingly, the only curtains I ever close are in the bedroom.

• katehudson25
    edited July 2013

Gigil so glad your mamo was negative. So sorry about your grandson's fall.

Gigil, bunkie, and Cindy thanks so much for the support.

Today I have felt tired, but that doesn't bother me, it beats pain . Wednesday's through Friday's are usually my worst after 6 hour chemos, but I am so hoping I will be ok tomorrow.

xoxo,

kate

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2013

Gigi, bless his heart what a cutie and he's still smiling.Poor little guy.

I'm so happy your Mammogram was clear.Sorry to hear about your grandsons leg.

Kate stay hydrated and rest that all you can do.

Susannah I know what you mean about having to fight for our kids.They will do what they want if we let them.I had a teacher tell me at my son's last IEP that she was trying to work with Andy on his Autistic tendencies like talking loudly,roaming around the room or other self soothing techniques like squeezing his hands behind his head.She said it was something she wanted to correct since it could make others around him uncomfortable.I really think it was her that felt uncomfortable with Andy's Autistic tendencies.I really wanted to call her out on it in front of the other teachers at the IEP but I behaved myself.

We went to visit my DFIL tonight.He looks a lot better.He had a IV going and his color is good.They will send him home maybe tomorrow.They said part of his problem was a wrong balance of electrolytes.He had high Calcium in his blood.They thought he was drinking too much water.

• gigil
    edited July 2013

Josie, glad your FIL is in good hands.  It sounds like he is getting great care.  

There are lots of teachers who just don't get it.  Self soothing techniques serve a purpose.  They can't change our kids just because they fall out of the norm.  They don't see half of the self soothing techniques most kids have, for gosh sakes.  My grandson's kindergarten teacher was so uncomfortable with him that she literally said he would close her into a corner and she would feel threatened.  He was a tiny little guy and not aggressive.  He just hadn't learned about personal space, and he was in a walker.  She was so unkind to him that when she tried to hand him papers, he would not take them from her.  He didn't trust her.  Her response was to throw the paper on the floor in front of him.  The kid was in a walker and couldn't get down to the floor and back up again!!!!  My daughter worked very skillfully to get him out of her room ASAP.  No problems with any teachers since that one.  She goes to their church, and I really hope I never have to see her.  I do not like that woman.

• josie123
    edited July 2013

I'm sorry he had such a lousy teacher gigil.Some people don't belong being teachers.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2013

Gigi what a bittersweet day for you.  You get all good news from your tests, then the poor little man gets hurt.  I am sorry, his beautiful smile is so engaging.  I am so sorry this happened to him.  Oh that kindergarten teacher was wicked!  How sad people like that are allowed to teach.  I am happy about your test results.  Of course I made special chocolate/almond cake balls just for you.  Congratulations on your two year cancerversary.  Happy dancing for you.  You had a very busy pocket. 

Kate I hope you are feeling well this morning.  If your body tells you to sleep, then get plenty.  I'll keep the cake balls coming.

Josie I am glad your FIL is doing better.  Sounds like he got some good care and they isolated the problem.

Thinking of all of you and wishing you a wonderful day.  Who has plans  for tomorrow?

• gigil
    edited July 2013

I am heading to the farm to help out with Cole. We are going to find him a fishing pier, light off fireworks unencumbered by city ordinances, and create as much fun as we can. I am determined to brighten his mood and ease my daughter's mind.

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2013

Gosh, Gigil, I guess  Cole must be having a real hard time with this?  That family is so lucky you are nearby!

Josie, I do hear you about the teacher deciding all by herself what is best for your child; I'd be irate myself.  On the other hand, friends of mine have an autistic son who is now 6 feet, several inches and about 250 pounds.  Behaviors that are annoying in children can be really frightening in adults.  Perhaps it might not be so bad if she continues to work on the loud voice and roaming?

• RunFree16
    edited July 2013

Got my girl back!  She had a great time.  She's been chattering for two hours and now she's wound herself down like an old-fashioned toy.  She said it was surprisingly normal-feeling to travel without us.  I think that's good.  I'm just proud of her and glad she could do the trip.  I'm sure more memories will come out over the next few days.  One of her favorite places was Shakespeare and Company, the English-language bookstore in Paris.  She bought a bunch of books--including Hemingway's A Moveable Feast, which is about Paris and has a chapter about that very bookstore--and then had to lug them around!  Girl after my own heart.

• josie123
    edited July 2013

Sounds like she had a great time .She will have memories that last a lifetime.Bet your glad she's home though.

• RunFree16
    edited July 2013

Thanks Josie!  Yes, I'm so relieved to have her back, but also glad she had such a great adventure.

• gigil
    edited July 2013

RunFree so glad your girl is home. That book A Moveable Feast is one of my favorites! I have read it several times. Lucky her for experiencing all of that. It will be fun for you to hear about it in bits and pieces, probably for weeks to come.

• katehudson25
    edited July 2013

Runfree glad your daughter is back and had a fabulous adventure.

As expected I am feeling crummy today, queasy and tired. Still I managed to go out to the bank and get my fill and pedi done in light green. Have a fabulous 4th everyone. If I feel ok I want to catch some sales, if not I will stay home and rest.

xoxo,

Kate

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2013

Well, let me be the first to wish you all a very joyous, celebratory Fourth of July, with flag waving and parades and barbeques, and, hopefully, good weather.  

Don't mean to bring a downer, but eeeeeek!  My dexa scan (bone density) results just showed up online.  My lowest T score is -2.1.  I think -2.5 brings you from osteopenia to osteoporosis.  Can't be the arimidex, which I've only been on three months, but I know the drug is not going to help my bone density any.  My diet hasn't been that bad, so I can only blame my relatively sedentary lifestyle.  I guess I'll learn a lot more about it on Tuesday when I see my onc.  Meanwhile, anyone doing Bone Builders or weight lifting or the like?  What about bone building drugs?  I've heard the bone they build can be brittle. I guess I'll be doing my homework this weekend!  First, though, I'm getting ready to shovel strawberries on shortcake. Many reps and sets.  That should help, right?

• RunFree16
    edited July 2013

Brookside, load up those strawberries, the more help to your bones!  But how freaky and depressing.  I sort of thought that disturbing results wouldn't show up online before you'd get a call.  I have done Nautilus a lot at various points and I really enjoy it.  Is there a gym near you that has a Nautilus circuit?  Or any gym you could use to get busy with weights?

Kate, I'm sorry to hear you were feeling crummy yesterday.  I hope you feel better today.  If not, I hope you can just curl up and rest.