Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2013

At the hospital where I'm treated, test results show up three days after they've been sent to the provider.  Gee, in the old day, that word would have been "doctor."  How far we've come!  Anyway, it's my guess that the three days is meant to encourage those providers to get on the phone and not keep us waiting.  To tell the truth, I'm glad to have the info now so I can read up and have all the right questions ready when I see my onc on Tuesday.  I'll email him all my questions, so we'll both be prepaared, and while I'm at it, I'll also ask him to print the reports from the other two scans I had (2000 and 2006), so we'll have a lot to chat about.

Yes, there's a little gym about halfway between home and office, that I guess I'll be going to now.  Also, there are bone builders classes at the hospital in that same area. 

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2013

Happy 4th of July! Happy BDay USA:)

Kate - sorry you are feeling crappy ugh:(. {{{soft soothing squeezes}}}. Hope you are Abe to watch the fireworks over the ocean tonight!

RunFree - yeah she's home...and her love of books, adventure, and travel.

Brookside - ugh:( bone loss so soon:( and online before appointment ...crazy. Hope your MO sheds light on this issue. More reason to pound the pavement and hit the gym...I'm getting in about 6-9 hours a week...also dancing. Have fun lifting those shortcakes yummm:)

GiGil - fun time on the farm with family. Cole will luv the fireworks. You are a fun Grammie:)

Quite 4th here...son is caring on 4th tradition...hosting party...FaceTime with GS yesterday...he packed his bag and announced he was coming to my house to swim and play and stay...guess mamma & dada were too busy and said no too many time ha! Kiddos so funny!

Have a great day!

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited July 2013
    Happy July 4th! *****>snap!< >crackle!< >pop!< Hope you are all having a wonderful day and night!
  • joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2013

I hope everyone has enjoyed the 4th and the memories it brings...family, barbecues and fireworks.
    Hang in there Kate, thinking of you getting stronger each day.

More tomorrow...
    JJjj

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2013

I hope everyone has enjoyed the 4th and the memories it brings...family, barbecues and fireworks.
    Hang in there Kate, thinking of you getting stronger each day.

More tomorrow...
    JJjj

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2013

I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday.  We went to our neighbor's for a cookout so that was nice.  I made a pasta salad and a Banana Split Cake.  We didn't stay too long but had a great time.  Our dogs are very phobic about fireworks.  Murphy is the worst, basically you have to hold him and keep reassuring him.  Sampson isn't quite as bad, but he has to snuggle pretty tight in the bed.  Last night it was really bad.  So many people did them and they were not just big and bright, but loud.  Terribly loud and poor Murphy can't deal with that.  I feel so badly for him.  We still had people doing them until almost 2:00, so it was quite a bumpy night. 

Kate I am so sorry your felt lousy this time around.  Next year you can look back on this day and remember how bad you felt, but celebrate how good you feel on the 4th in 2014!  Let your body get some rest Sweetie, you need the extra rest.  Make sure you take care of YOU!

Brookside we're all going to be in your pocket Tuesday.  I sure hope you get some answers.  It is such a long process this cancer and everything can seem like a red flag.  I hope it all goes well.  Hugs!

Gigi I hope that sweet grandson had a wonderful day and evening.  Hugs to your little man. 

I have an appointment today with my regular NP.  I assume she has the results of my stress tests and then she can give me the results.  Then move onto my bladder issues.  I definitely need help there.

I hope everyone has a great day.  Do what you enjoy! 

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2013

Janis, I'm so glad you'll be getting answers today--what a long time it has been since this chest pain thing started!  And I know you won't leave that office without the name of your new urologist, and why Kara (or maybe Lisa) recommended him or her, gripped tightly in your little fist.  Also, once you've finished your consultation, her office can make your appointment while you're right there, so no time will be lost.  As this is already July, lots of docs are away of vacation or conferences, or busy with new interns and residents, so an early call can save lots of waiting time.  I find if I make a list of issues and questions, with two copies, and hand one to the doc, we can go over all the issues and I never have to leave with something unaddressed.

Kate, I sure hope you're on the upswing after Monday's marathon chemoathon, and enjoying the thought that you're absolutely walloping those ugly uglies.

Happy Fifth of July to everyone!

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited July 2013

Janis, good luck with your NP today!  You have a lot of sisters waiting to see what you find out.  Have you tried tranquilizers for your dogs?  We had a dog once who was scared of a lot of things.  The vet prescribed ativan (lorazepam) and said to give him one if there was more than a 50% chance of thunderstorms, or fireworks expected, etc.  So true what you said about cancer being a long process. 

Brookside, I take your point about having a heads-up on the bone results so you can arm yourself with questions.  Maybe not getting a call is a sign that it's not terribly dire, just worth taking action about?  I hope that's what you learn.  I bet you will like weightlifting.  You can get some little free weights for between classes if the classes aren't that often or convenient.  I've found if I do it twice a week, I don't really progress, but if I do it three times, I see myself getting stronger really soon.  It's something I can control.  Say, I've got to get back to that....

Kate I am also thinking about you today.  I hope you are not too sleepy, not queasy, slim leg, and everything moving along. 

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited July 2013

Hi girls- I havent posted here for a couple of weeks due to my crazy schedule- hard to keep up with all of your wonderful posts! but I have followed along when I can. I send hugs to everyone! Currently fighting my way through rads, so I am not to the "rads recovery" stage quite yet.

I wanted to say thank you Runfree for the tip on ativan for dog's fireworks hysteria. Do you know the dose?

Janis I was just posting about our semi-success with the thundershirt (from bed bath and beyond) for my little shelter dog Toto. He was terrible July 3 when we had the first fireworks display but did okay with it all last night when wearing the thundershirt for a few hours before the loud booms started. I had this post on my "comfort dogs" thread.

Good luck everyone and hugs to all!!

:)

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited July 2013

Runfree, Brookside, Janis, Joan and Cindy thanks so much for your support. I had a horrible two days Wed. and Thurs. Exhausted and nauseated. Seems the side effects get worse with each 6 hour treatment, but thank God I am feeling better today.

Brookside I will be in your pocket Tuesday and bring the wine for the after party.

Janis good luck with your appointment today, and I will supply wine for your party. So glad I am feeling better today, so I can have some wine too.

xoxo,

Kate

• RunFree16
    edited July 2013

Sciencegal, you're quite welcome!  I don't recall the dose--sadly, that dog has been gone for ten years now--but I believe it was tagged to the dog's weight somehow.  What is a thundershirt?  About your rads, how many days will you go?  This thread will be happy to root you on constantly!

Kate, I'm terribly sorry to hear that you have been so miserable!  That is powerful medicine you're getting and it's kicking those cancer cells even harder than it's kicking you.  But I am really sorry.  That is awful.  I hope the worst is over for this round.

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2013

I've just tried about 10 times to send a medium length post, but it keeps getting dumped.  Luckily, I now know to copy everything before i attempt sending!  I'll try to be really brief instead: RunFree, thank you for the wellwishes.  I've always loathed weight lifting, but intend to learn to love it by next week.

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2013

Kate, I'm so glad you're feeling better and the uglies are feeling worse.  Looking forward to lots of wine on Tuesday (anything red and large will do).

Sciencegal, in my opinion we're beginning our recovery from rads even before we've started treatment.  Maybe you'll agree with me when I say that from the day we first learn this treatment is likely, there is an awful lot involved in wrapping our minds around the very concept of willingly walking our bodies toward that machine, day after day.  You are recovering, in some ways, long before your actual physical recovery begins. 

• katehudson25
    edited July 2013

Thank you Runfree and Brookside

• beachwalker54
    beachwalker54 Member Posts: 28
    edited July 2013

Hi all,,

I have been searching for information on fatigue after rads.  My treatment was for 3 weeks or 15 days and for the past 2 weeks or so I've been very tired in the afternoons and have to take a nap.  I completed my rads on May 14th so about a month and a half ago.  It seems to be hitting me more now than during or right  after.  Can anyone relate??

I have also been on aromisin for about 2 months without too much problem (yet) so maybe a combination of the two?

I'd love some feedback.  Hopefully it's nothing else!!

Thank you.

beachwalker54

• rmlulu
    edited July 2013

Hi y'all

Kate - ugh:( so sorry that you have had a rough couple of days...but chemo is kicking and destroying all those bad guys...glad the next few tx are short and easier on our Kate. Hang in there we are in your pocket:)

Brookside - pound those bones on pavement in gym...we will be in your pocket Tuesday...we are coast to coast pocket jumpers:)

Janis - what did the NP say...(((squeeze)))

GiGil - making memories on farm with Cole and kiddos:)

Recovery&new normals...we press on to committed to fighting and living our lives fully! No Fear:)

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• rmlulu
    edited July 2013

Hey Sew! What's new...

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited July 2013

Beachwalker54 - I finished rads at the end of March. I have only began to feel like myself the last two weeks or so. Energy is returning and I have more stamina to keep up with my family. I do not think they are honest with us about how much fatigue rads causes. I have a fitbit (pedometer with online tracking/graphing capabilities). When I look back at my graphs I can see my energy building over the last few weeks. It also shows a very definite pattern of a "crash day" every couple of days before that ( day or two of good activity, then a day where I can tell by my stats I barely moved). Hang in there and have patience with yourself!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2013

Janis sorry your pups were so upset with the fireworks.When I used to work as a Vet Tech we were always so busy around July 4th.We handed out sedatives to the poor little doggies like candy.

The thunder shirt sounds like an idea I think it's weighted and has the same calming effect as a weighted blanket for kids on the spectrum.

Kate sorry to hear your not feeling well.

My FIL got out of the hospital on Wednsday afternoon.

He's doing pretty good.

We had a good 4th.We saw the parade then my brother had us out to his house for my Moms birthday and BAN.

We enjoyed it but DH had to work so he stayed closer to home.Then we went to the shop for fireworks.Lots of running around though.

Beachwalker, yes fatigue is common after Rads I know this from experience.Try to eat enough protein and drink plenty of water and most importantly rest when you need to.Follow your body.

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2013

Hi, Beachwalker, and welcome.  I had 16 plus 4 boosts, finished around March 22, so am three months out.  Was on disability from treatment #1 (2 hours from home, so no other option), and one totally exhausted month afterward.  Tried to go back to work after that.  Amazingly and strangely fatigued, no interest in work, had to go home by 3:00 most days, and, if I had a high energy day with lots of client interaction, could barely function the next day.  Saw the radiation NP just a week ago and she assured me that six months of exhaustion is not unusual.  She prescribed a small dose of short acting ritalin, and although I've only taken it twice, it seems to be doing the trick.  I've whined a lot about my symptoms in earlier posts on this thread.  I did try the MO and my PCP first, but neither was much help.  First, do be assured that your symptoms are not unusual.  If you can continue to just rest up until it goes away, great; it's probably best to just let your body heal itself at its own pace.  If couch potato-ing is not adviseable, don't hesitate to start hammering your team for solutons.

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2013

Gosh, BayouBabe, so happy to hear from you: It sounds as though we are kind of post rads twins!

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited July 2013

BrooksideVT - nice to meet you cancer sister! How is the arimidex treating you? I am contemplating switching.

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2013

I've only been on Arimidex since April Fool's Day (thought it would be an appropriate time to start).  Mostly, I notice a lot of hair in the shower drain and on my white painted stairs.  I do have joint aches, but exercise seems to help.  In fact, I think maybe they're getting better.  I have an appointment with my MO on Tuesday and will talk about the drug, especially bone density issues.  To tell the truth, I'm kind of in the devil-you-know rather than the devil-you-don't camp when it comes to arimidex--I'd like to stay on it as long as the side effects are tolerable. 

• rmlulu
    edited July 2013

Hey bayoubabe & Brookside - I'm going on my 5th week on Aromasin no SEs to speak of...yes hair in shower and bathroom :(. Started losing hair from stress during DHs battle with c & months in hospital :( I do workout 5X a week, walk, weightlift, Zumba, tai chi, and country line dancing...anything that will help buildup bones...threadmill is just to boring.

I tell my tiny white pill...behave I'm bigger than you ha!

Yes, the devil you know ... But seems to be ok for me.

• sciencegal
    edited July 2013

Kate I am so sorry you have had such a rough time. I sure hope the weekend will let you feel better. Poor thing!

Thanks Brookside, I wasnt quite sure if I belonged on this site yet since I am still in rads, but your point about starting to recover once we wrap our head around it and trudge toward the table each day is well taken. And you all have been so welcoming to us newcomers- thank you!

Yes, the thundershirt is a snug wrap that swaddles the pups chest and gives him a comforting hug during times of stress.

Sounds like we could all use one!!!

• katehudson25
    edited July 2013

Cindy, Josie, and Sciencegal thanks so much for the support. I am feeling a little yucky again tonight, but of course it means chemo is killing those ugly cells.

Josie I am so glad your fil is doing better

xoxo,

Kate

• RunFree16
    edited July 2013

Beachwalker, I'm a little jealous of where you live--I love Martha's Vineyard!  As BayouBabe, Brookside, and Josie said, the fatigue can hang around...and around...and around.  Not everyone has this stubborn fatigue problem, but plenty of people do.  Also I've heard from others that it doesn't necessarily hit until a while after finishing rads.  I agree with Brookside that you can give in to the tiredness for a while, but you also shouldn't hesitate to ask the RO about rads fatigue and check with the MO about fatigue from the Aromasin.  BayouBabe, that's excellently revealing data collected by your Fitbit.  (I have one too.) 

Kate, I'm sorry to hear you were feeling yucky again last night.  I hope today will be better.  The Saturday usually is, right?

Sciencegal, thanks for the explanation about the thundershirt.  Sure wish we'd had one of those for our previous dog.  But he would have been wearing it most of the time.  He was afraid of a lot of other things that reminded him of thunderstorms:  snowplows, because they featured rumbling noise and flashing lights at night, and we lived at a corner near the entrance to a park where the city brought all the excess snow!  And my metal tape measure because it has a very vague booming sound.  He was also afraid of smoke alarms and adults crying.  (Fortunately not babies, since he was around when both of ours were born.)  He was a bit of a head case. 

And yes, Sciencegal, you are very welcome here.  I think Brookside is totally right about starting to recover from rads right away, and the recovery process goes on and on--hence the epic size of this forum! 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2013

Beachwalker, welcome to our little family.  I always say I love to get to know you, but am sorry we are all united due to cancer.  You have already received some great advice here and I have little to add.  I just wanted to welcome you here and we are always here to share our experiences and stories.

My appointment yesterday was not very helpful.  Since I had not heard back from the cardiologist I figured he would send his report to my NP, Kara.  The purpose of my visit with her was a follow up to my cardio workup.  Kara had no information at all.  He had not sent her anything.  I did not like this guy, he was arrogant but old enough to be my great great grandfather.  So, no news there.  She is however referring me to a urologist for the other issues.  Thank goodness for that.  I so hope the urologist can figure out what the problem is.

Brookside, the clinic that I go to has very rigid rules.  That is probably why it runs so smoothly.  It is a community health clinic for low income people.  They have very specific ways of doing things, but honestly I feel like I have received excellent care there overall.  They have done several referrals to address the numerous problems I have had.  My primary doctor moved to their main clinic in Boise.  I was given the choice of seeing him there or being assigned a new primary.  I chose the second option.  Boise is about 30 miles and the clinic is downtown with tons of traffic.  So I stayed at the Nampa clinic and now Kara, an NP, is my primary.  I have a very good rapport with her and feel so comfortable with her.  She will make the referral but can't tell me up front who that will be.  It takes a few days to get the referral done.  The new doctor's office will call me directly, then Kara wants to see me in one month to follow up.  Thanks for your concern.  Of course I will keep you posted.

Kate I am sorry you had a rough couple of days.  Hopefully the worst in behind you now and you'll start feeling much better in the days ahead.  I'll keep the cakeballs headed your direction.  :)

RunFree we have tried tranquilizers for Murphy, I just hate the way they work.  The vet here gives him Ace (Acepromazine) and he looks awful and we just hate giving it to him.  He drools, staggers, the third eyelid shows, and he just looks miserable.  It certainly helps with the terror but we hate it and this year did not use it.  We have two big Goldens so we each took one.  They were much better once we were in bed holding them.  Talk about big babies!  Sammy is unsettled but not nearly as bad as Murphy who is truly in panic mode.  He did much better this year as long as he could press his body firmly against mine.  Nice and cozy if you don't mind a 75 lb. ball of fur pressed against you for a few hours.  I have heard various different things about the Thundershirt.  They seem to work well for some and not so well for others.  Like anything else it is a crap shoot.  So we'll stick to big group hugging as that worked really well.  Was sure hot though!

Sciencegal I am glad your little Toto had such a positive reaction to the Thunderstirt.  I have found that more people with small dogs find it successful.  What kind of dog is little Toto?  So glad you rescued, both Sammy and Murphy are rescues as well.  Pretty much every purebred dog has a breed specific rescue.  Sometimes not in your state.  We lived in Wyoming and there were no rescues there.  My son lives near Denver, we are both Golden lovers.  We had each lost a dog in the previous year.  My son decided that for Mother's Day he wanted me to come down to Denver, look at some of the available dogs for adoption and he would pay all the fees.  I think they adoption fee is $300.  Every dog is vetted, microchipped, and of course spayed/neutered.  Normally they have been fostered for some time so they have a good idea of each dog's personality and how they interact with children, other pets, etc.  Since the dogs are not in one central location they ask you to study all the profiles and choose up to three different ones to meet.  They meet at a vet's office that has a large fenced yard.  You have to fill out their application online, state why you want a Golden, and once that application is processed you have to have a home visit.  Most of these poor dogs came from bad homes clearly and many were neglected and/or abused.  So I picked my three dogs, but the director, Mary called me Friday night.  She said they had just pulled a dog from a kill shelter in SW Colorado.  They knew little about him except that he had been an outside dog who who kept chewing his ties and he was out chasing cattle during calving season.  The owners had been warned he would be shot.  Eventually a neighbor took him to the pound, who contacted the shelter in Colorado.  In my application I mentioned the heartbreak I still felt over losing my 5 year old Golden to cancer 8 months earlier.  I wrote how much I missed that big beautiful blonde head.  Mary told me this dog had a big head and was gorgeous and she wanted us to meet him.  We had already agreed that we wanted to bring our other two dogs down to meet their new brother or sister.  Needless to say, that boy came home with us.  It was 7 years ago.  My son also  took one, he and his wife agreed to foster.  He had lost his Golden, Arizona, just a couple months earlier and he didn't feel right adopting.  They were major failed foster parents as he never went back.  they lost him about 5 weeks ago.  He had a wonderful life with them.  Sam has had a great life with us.  We love all of our animals deeply.  They are family!

Oh my gosh sorry for the novel here.  Just thought the story of how he came in to our life is interesting.  Hope I didn't bore anyone.  :)

Have a wonderful weekend my friends.  Love and joy to all!

• sciencegal
    edited July 2013

Janis thank you- what a wonderful story about your golden- love it! I grew up with black labs but goldens are even sweeter.

Feel better everyone, I hope you are having a good Saturday.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited July 2013

Hi ladies,

Well I took a few days off to get into the unclutter business in my basement so just checking in. I finally got the second freezer empty and unplugged. Called a few churches etc to see if someone needs it but so far no takers. I felt so much shame for all the wasted food in there from last year during BC. Wow some family could have had several great months with that food. The fact that I had 2 freezers did not mean I had to fill them both. Awful but I am learning. Looking for a small storage unit close by to get the stuff left in the basement I want to keep. I want it all. The S&Ps alone are about 40. Apparently while I was not having kids I bought ceramics. Yikers!!!

I posted another long one on here this morning and it is gone. It was early.... maybe I hit a wrong button.

Kate - I am so sorry you are having a time with the chemo. I was thinking about you this morning. Hope you will be OK. Your body is just really fighting. Rest will help I hope. Prayers to you.

Everyone else will read up on psts and check in later. Clear skies and no rain today. Yeah....dry basement.