Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 2013

Gigi what a tough situation for your darling gs.  I'm so sorry for his suffering.

Janis, I hope the heat has broken for you.  I'll take cold snow capped mountains over dry hot desert any day.

Hi Alice.  Sorry to meet you this way, but welcome.  I'm happy that your rads are over...let the recovery begin!

Janis, so happy to hear about your test results.  I love that word:  normal, even when spoken by a butthead doctor.  

Joan and Gigi, it's also 2 years for me (counting from surgery?) on July 12th.  I don't have my MO and mammo appt. scheduled until late winter, but I'm feeling OK about it.  I will probably see my PCP this fall, and so all the labs will be done.The truth is that it took me the last 2 years to pay off my medical bills, and now, other than the bills I'm expecting for my dd I am debt-free, medically speaking.  I just hate, hate, hate to start on this carousel again. I thought it would be nice to have no medical bills for a brief moment, and then I'll jump in again.

Kate, I'm glad to hear you are feeling OK.  I am also wondering about your BS friend.  I hope she didn't have to have surgery.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2013

Hi Ladies,

Ok, I'm back, I hope. It's been a tough time for me, and I had to take some time to get my head back on straight. I think it's still a bit crooked, but I'm sure you won't notice! Thanks for wondering about me, it is strange when one of us goes missing.

My goodness, all these changes, but many of them sound great.

Bunkie, I'm glad you've made the decision to vacate that house. It's hard, but it must be done, so good for you.

Sab....the scare of hearing your dd had been hit by the car must have been just awful. I loved that you immediately went harrying right off up there to get her. Sounds like she's doing much better....but tell me, has she gotten on another bike?

Janis, I'm loving that you got a "normal" report on your heart. That old foggy sounded just impossible and it's good to know its not actually your heart causing this. And thanks for the note, it was quite sweet

Run free....has your dd continued with the wonderful stories about her trip? What an experience for her. You sound like you're doing quite well too...that's great.

Cindy, your posts are always a joy to me. How you can express so much thought and caring into so few words is just perfection. I should learn from you

Joan....you will most certainly miss your dd and the grands in Boston, but now you've got a great new place to visit. And it's not really that far. I'm hoping the move will go smoothly for all of you

Brookside....are you the one who just went osteopenia or osteoporosis quickly? I think you've got an appt today about it? I went from osteopenia which I'd had for years to osteoporosis within 2 months of starting Arimidex. We did Prolia infusions every 6 months however after the 2nd one I ended up with a rare allergic reaction. During that time though, I also concentrated on taking the expensive calcium (citrate) and vit d3 daily,continued my walking and also added magnesium and 5 prunes a day. Yep, 5 prunes. Anyway, we ran another Dexa after a year just to figure out what to do about the osteoporosis I had gone all the way back to not having even osteopenia. My numbers are great. I swear it's the prunes!

April, it sounds like you might be doing better with the afternoon fatigue? I sure hope so. It will get better but I'd guess your protocol has that as an "enhanced" SE. And is the asthma under control? How strange all that was!

Kate, it sounds like you're continuing to tough it out thru the chemo and actually improving too. You're doing so well and I'm glad that most of thetime you can continue to do normal things.

Gigil, you get a gold star for actually getting in and getting that mammo. And getting the all clear too. Now with your new doc. And new center you won't have any worries about getting that all settled. Sorry to hear about your grandsons leg. It will certainly be a tough summer for him. Guess there isn't a pony on the ranch who could pull him on a sled just for fun? Perhaps that's not even a good suggestion.

I'm sure I forgot a few of you, but not intentionally. And welcome to the new girls..this is a great place to hangout. Sceincegal...do I remember that you're up here in the Bay Area someplace? Hasn't the weather been just wonderful? Sorry Janis that yours is too hot. Maybe everyone should become a California girl?

Keep well everyone

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2013

Sew, welcome back we missed you and hope your ok.

• MostlySew
    edited July 2013

Ooooh, Josie, I knew I'd missed at least one old friend. I loved your idea of spending the day reading in the shade. I just love taking a day off with a great book. Feels decadent, doesn't it? I'm fine, thanks. How are you doing? Not too much fatigue? Your 10 year old still testing you? It's always a challenge to figure out how to help our youngsters thru their rough times isn't it?

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2013

Hi Sew, glad you took that time to wrap your head around all you've been through.  It is good to hear from you.  I hope you are finding peace as you reflect on the past few months. 

I saw MO today and had mammography.  I waited for results and got a good report ... it says to come back in a year.  Uneventful and I am so glad.  I will be happy-dancing in my dreams tonight.

I'll be taking a road trip...by myself to visit DD#1.  Long drive, but 2 grandsons at the end of the day....looking forward to it.

As usual, not enough sleep!

nite all...
    Joan

• MostlySew
    edited July 2013

Hi Joan

Wooohoooo...a clean mammo.  And, not coming back for a year is fabulous.  I'm not released for that yet, but soon (after my next 6 month one I'm sure).  Wow, a solo road trip.  How long's the drive?  I think you'll have a great time, you must have a few days off work.  I hope your work time is not so gruelling this summer, I can't seem to remember how many days you're working this time around.  retirement's coming, with kids moving all over the place, it's probably looking better and better.....

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2013

Hi y'all

Yippee Joan :) a good mammo :)) and more grand kiddos:) I smell warm chocolate chip cookies and hugs coming! Drive safe!

Hey Sew...glad to hear from you & your head is getting clearer...you have been throughout so much...I see a rainbow after the thunderstorm:)

Josie - how's FIL? How are the kiddos? Pup? Hubby? Walking by that boys house...ha! Hows the fatigue is getting better and you find special time for yourself and each luv1s:)

Kate - pocket crumbs...we're ready for doughnut shop ad retail therapy...and ocean view for afternoon siesta lol:). Skinny leg pic...

Janis - glad you're getting your list checked off...urologist next! Oh the simple things...eat drink poo, and pee! Body is amazing...best when working in order:)

Brookside - dr report! Still thinking about all those strawberries & shortcake are yummm:) & Caroline :)

Summer vacation time...any great plans Susan, Bunkie (oh right that house), RunFree, April, Alice, SAB, and the rest of y'all amazing warriors:)

Today is gym, country line dancing(better than threadmill) and then hubby thinks we need a 5th wheel...truck needs to haul something. I think this will be a project...an exercise to determine he doesn't really want to drive and drive ad drive ...his BFF just got one and is camping along the pacific coast..but he lives in CA we are in Tx...so off we go...engineers to analyze ha!

Off to pound the bones...singing every good thing...steal my stage! Ooo who:)

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited July 2013

Sab, Sew, and Cindy thank you so much for the support. I am doing ok today. The 30 minute chemo is so much easier than the 6 hour chemo.

Sab, Tracy my doctor friend is ok. She avoided surgery and her arm is doing well. Thanks for asking

xoxo,

Me

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited July 2013

Yay Joan! Good report for you. So glad to heat that. That is just what I did too when I got my all clear. I took a road trip to see DD. I came home with an extra little munchkin. Now I have another road trip to take her home. I do want to get off by myself and go somewhere special at some point this summer.

We have a couple of other sisters around the two year mark, SAB? SEW? Janis? Anyone else? We should all have a two year celebration!

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited July 2013

Joan, how wonderful that your mammo was clean as a whistle and you don't have to go back for a year!  That's a huge milestone!  I loved the pictures of your little grands too.  I am sure you'll miss your daughter, but the South Shore of Boston is lovely.  I hope your trip to see your other daughter is smooth and wonderful.

Sew, it was great to hear from you.  We've been keeping a candle for you.  I hope your brother's wife and your whole family are able to put the pieces together.  Have you had a lot of thunderstorms lately to make you think of him?  If not, come to New England.  They won't quit here.

GiGiL, that is just too much for little Cole, going from bad to worse.  What might he like and be able to do while reclining--books on tape?  movie/comedy marathon? just make his way around as much as he can?  It's great that you are lavishing some quality attention on his sister.  I'm sure Cole's parents appreciate that and little Maya too.  But I also agree you should take a trip for yourself sometime this summer.

Janis, what a wonderful relief to hear your heart tests were normal!  But what is wrong with that doctor's office anyway???  That guy shouldn't be practicing anymore.  He's faxing it in, as we used to say in the 80s.  And if he's slipping, at least his staff could call.  Jeepers. 

Brookside, happy birthday in advance!  How shall we celebrate?  I love a party menu.  I'm interested to hear about the bone density question too.  I'm curious about Sew's bone strengthening program.  Five prunes a day sounds like a magic potion.

Kate, I'm so glad you're doing well and your friend Tracy too.  I hope the constipation isn't bad this time.  (Maybe try five prunes?)  Do you have any fun planned for the immediate future?  You are so good at that.  I get a lot of vicarious mileage out of hearing about the fun things you do.

Nice to meet you Alice--you've sure been through a lot!  I have to say, this group is amazingly helpful.  There's no BC support group in my area, but I really don't miss it. 

Thanks Sew, my daughter has continued to talk about her trip.  She's processing it on so many levels, so interesting to observe.  She got great pictures, almost all of buildings and art!  Fortunately the other kids on the trip took pictures of people, posted them on Facebook, and tagged my daughter so that I could see them.  I've quietly downloaded all of those.  She brought back a pricey little tub of saffron threads from Spain and I've cooked with it twice already.  Classy gift!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2013

Yeah, 2 year anniversary:))) y'all Ooo who lead the way!

Brookside - think I see Bday candles! Celebrate ...happy dancing! Make it last...work it!

Today was cry cry cry a fun point point shufle jazz box jump front jump back hips 2 3 4 and then stroll along cha cha...:). Ha I just got the ghost train, mamma Maria, a little luv, and cowboy charleston down...one turns are right the other turns left ...I was sweating...now time to try my tai chi...lazy trying coat...and what are the other 22 positions..YouTube time:)

I get an A for effort and a ... for form...need to stand in middle with the good students all around me. Just finished weight lifting and stretching :). Hoping this all elapsed offset that tiny white AI pill!

Yeah hump day! And shower time!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    edited July 2013

Joan,great news about the good mammogram.Congrats!!!

Sew yes I did read all day Sunday but not in the shade in the air conditioning.My DD is still being quite a challenge lately.Not sure why but Its getting a little stressful.

Cindy sounds like you have a lot more energy than me.

I'm not too fatigued but I am pretty worn out after my walk with the dog.And when I cut the grass Saturday with my little old push mower I pushed myself past the point of tired.

I was so tired this morning the DH of mine had a leg cramp in the early morning.I got up way earlier than I needed to.I heard the rain too.It poured like crazy for like an hour.

• josie123
    edited July 2013

Sorry I forgot to answer about my FIL.He's doing ok but seems kind of crabby.He's tired of not being able to do thing like BBQ.He has a passion for cooking especially enjoys cooking for others on Sundays and he even has his own closet full of pots and pans and neat little kitchen gadgets.Now he has to sit back and watch everyone else cook.He insisted on BBQIng on Sunday and we wouldn't dare stand in his way we just carried the food outside for him and brought him any supplies he needed.He had his walker and seemed happy.This man is only 70 and is dependant on a walker to walk now.It's so sad.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited July 2013

Gigil you forgot about me regarding the 2 year mark. I had 2 lumpectomies, and my last one was 8/1/2011. Remember too that I am breast cancer free. My bladder cancer is a separate cancer that had nothing to do with my stage 1 grade 1 breast cancer.

Runfree I do have a few fun things planeed. Wed. July 17 I am going to do a photo shoot. I just made a new friend who is a photographer and she wants me to do a photo shoot. The following week I am going out to lunch with my high school friend and going to happy hours with my doctor friend, Tracy, to manhattan Beach. I try not to schedule anything the first two weeks of chemo, and schedule everything I can for my last week of chemo and my week off of chemo. Thanks for asking.

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    edited July 2013

Kate you absolutely are bc free!!  Yay for that!!  I remember back when you were going through all of that misery with reconstruction and the infection and the time in the hospital.  Yup, the bladder cancer is a seperate issue that you are doing a wonderful job fighting.  You definitely should be celebrating the two year mark with the bc!  You have been here all along.  

Glad you are doing some fun things this week.  My granddaughter Maya is getting very lonesome for mommy and daddy.  Today she was pretty teary at bedtime.  We did a Skype and it helped a little.  She wants me to take her home tomorrow.  She is a pretty forceful little girl.  I hope I can convince her to stay another day.  My DS and BIL just got here.  We had dinner with them tonight.  It was so much fun to spend time with them.  Maya was fine until bedtime, when she was completely out of sorts.  I think this is the first time she has been away from her mommy and daddy so long.  Tough for a little girl.  Hopefully I can make tomorrow a fun day, so she can hold out until Friday.  If she wakes up feeling as strongly as she did at bedtime tonight, I think I will have to consider taking her home.  I don't like to see her so miserable!

Cindy, your dance and all of the rest of your exercise sound like a lot of fun.  I need to get busy again.  I have gained 5 lbs. and I am terrified to gain any more.  I need to get more active and continue to lose.  

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2013

Happy birthday Brookside.  I have been busy.  Just for you...enjoy!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2013

HI, it's me with the post radiation brain.  My birthday is next Thursday.  I figured it out when I saw the rads NP and we talked about birthdays and she looked funny when I said mine was today.  Oops.  Anyway, she promised I'll be smart again within three months.

Anyway, Janis, the cake is gorgeous and absolutely yummy, and, with my new lower calorie diet, it sure ought to be big enough to last a whole week.

• josie123
    edited July 2013

That's ok Brookside you can just start celebrating early!!

I'm so glad I'm going to get to see my RO finally.First time since Rads finished in April.They rescheduled me one last time Monday it was supposed to be yesterday but some meeting came up.So frustrating for me me I couldn't believe it and he will hear about it to.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited July 2013

OMG I have been catching up and too many to comment on. We are a busy bunch and I love this group!!!

Let me just say I have been down with vertigo again for a few days. Took my meds and trying to stay still, not focus too long. So far nothing has helped but I try not to go to the ER because they just give me Valium or Dramamine. I have both here so just have to wait it out. Regardless I found someone to come by and pick up the extra freezer and old icebox in my basement. Yup there was some mold on that icebox in the back but not as bad as I would think. Glad they are both gone. Keeps my food stockpiling down to a tiny amount. The icebox was full of sodas, teas, beer etc from my BC treatment time last fall. My boyfriend was here 5 mos and left it all. I gave that to the guy who took them away. Needy family and I felt good about helping them.

Weather is clear for a few days and hopefully will dry out all the flooding around the Midwest and Canada. Will drop in later if I can.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited July 2013

Joan - What beautiful babies!!! they look like they could be in a commercial.

Josie - Yes we are finally past all the noise but I still hear one every now and then. Next year I am going to be gone from this neighborhood and all the noise of that neighbor. I can not really be mad at him because he has kids and i know how much they love the fireworks but we live close to the Capital building and they have so much going on down there. Who needs more?

Brookside - Sorry I missed your birthday...hope it was a good one. Glad the mammo was clear. I go next month. Guess that 6 mos came awful fast.

Kate - Glad you are back to your old self with going out and being active. Another round done and behind you. I hope all your tests continue to be good. 

Janis - Glad you are feeling better. When do you go to the urologist? I postponed my scope/colonoscopy till I can get someone to come stay with me those two days. Yes the word normal is wonderful to hear. Sometimes I think I will never be normal again.

I am still dizzy but it is a bit more settled so I am reading all the back posts again. No rain in sight for a few days and my flower garden is blooming. Going to see if my friend can show me how to post on here.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 2013

Bunkie, I hope your vertigo is short-lived and that you can enjoy the nice weather you are finally having.

Gigi, keeping your gd busy sounds like just the thing!  I also gained weight over the long holiday with all of my family here, and so I share your determination to put the brakes on...maybe you can combine keeping the little one busy with some activity you enjoy and accomplish both of your objectives at once :-)

Josie, I'm thinking about you these days and how you've been committing time to your daughter each day.  It has motivated me to sit with my younger daughter each day as she puts in time on the summer work she has.  I have been getting a lot of writing done too, and the silence has been companionable.  I hope her grumpiness passes with the heat (or hormones, or latest facebook post) and that she doesn't try you too much.

Joan, I'm so happy to hear about your results!  Celebrate!  Have a nice trip!  

Sew, it is so good to see you.  I hope all is peaceful and well. Thank you for asking about dd.  She is still too banged up to ride a bike, and is relying on roommates to get her where she needs to go.  I dropped her off at school on Friday because she was showing work in an exhibition last weekend, but left her a ton of ready prepared food.  I think she'll probably come home this weekend for a few days to continue to recuperate.  Thankfully she finished her summer class at CCA, and is currently taking some online credits, which she can do from anywhere. It was scary to see her bike, the front wheel is a "c" and the frame is actually bent from impact.

Kate, you sound busy and well!  Have fun...I love Manhattan Beach.

Cindy, making me smile, as always.

Guests are all gone, house is quiet except for the tapping of keys, laundry is going and sauce is simmering.  Not too bad.  

• gigil
    edited July 2013

SAB keys clicking, laundry going and sauce simmering sounds peaceful and productive! You are inspiring me. Took GD out for a tutu sparkly day of shopping. She also picked out a princess ring that was a little speedy even at 70% off. Hope she takes care of it!

• josie123
    edited July 2013

Well I finally got to see my RO today.I told him how they had rescheduled me 3times .The nurse asked my stress level and I told her a 6 .She asked if it was due to my pain or d/c from Rads I said not really mostly my daughter but I made sure to make it known it didn't help my stress level to have my appt rescheduled so many times.I know I should let it go but really.My RO thought there was significant swelling in that breast also.I agreed and we talked a little he did a thorough exam and told me some patients have pain and swelling sometimes for years post Rads.He told me he wanted the swelling to go down before he wants the mammogram.6 months.Which from now will be more like November then I will see him after the mammogram.

• josie123
    edited July 2013

You know what Claire told me before she fell asleep last night?"No matter what mom I will always love you." ,I think it was her way of telling me she was sorry for the way she acted this week.

• RunFree16
    edited July 2013

Kate, that is great about your two-year mark from BC!  It helps me think about the future.  Of course you had another bad (I know, in your case much worse) thing happen, but I mean in terms of BC.  Anyway I love hearing about your fun plans.  How great to have a photo shoot!  That is a fun kind of friend to have, and your happy hour friend too, yay!

Brookside, I am sure it's upsetting, but also funny in a you-have-to-laugh kind of way, no?  Janis, that's a beautiful cake! 

Bunkie, I am really bumming for you about the vertigo.  That is such a horrible problem.  It seems absurd that there's nothing else they can do for you.  Not that I doubt you, but it is just so appalling.  You are making so much progress on the house, though. 

GiGiL, I bet--at least I hope--little Maya will wake up feeling much better.  Homesickness is so opportunistic and it makes sense to me that it would hit her at night when she's tired.  Busy busy busy tomorrow!  How far is the drive back to her house?

SAB and Josie, I'm following your daughter stories closely.  I'm getting to spend a lot of time with mine this week.  She goes to a sleepaway writing camp this Sunday through next Friday.  It's right in town here at the college where I teach, but I probably won't see her.  She's been twice before and really likes it--it's the only camp she's ever wanted to go back to.  SAB, I just can't imagine seeing that bike that your daughter was hurt on.  Holy cow.  And seeing her not yet able to do things by herself.  It's terribly upsetting.  It's great that her work will be in a show, though!  She must be very good.   

Josie, do you think your FIL will get stronger as he recovers from the pneumonia, or is the walker likely to be a permanent piece of equipment for him?

• josie123
    edited July 2013

Run free no actually my FIL didn't have pneumonia after all .They weren't sure why but considering his WBC was so high and they thought they saw a shadow on his chest XRay but after all that they changed their mind.He may never be able to be without the walker.I think it has to do with the damage to the bones the cancer did already.They thought they could do that cement stuff in his bone loss in the back but they said they couldn't do that for him.Instead he is receiving these numbing shots in his back.They said most of it is nerve pain possibly.I hope this makes sense because it all can be kind of confusing to explain.

• RunFree16
    edited July 2013

Oh dear!  How strange that it wasn't pneumonia.  That is really tough about the bone loss from cancer.  Are the numbing shots keeping him out of pain at least?  Do they say that he should try to keep as active as he can, or is it going to be what it is regardless?

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2013

Bunkie, could the vertigo be from an allergy to decluttering?  Kidding aside, all that unloading and organizing involves a lot of eye-hand coordination, and lots of head movement as well, making your inner ear pretty cranky.  Any time I get too excited about moving stuff from one place to another, I get vertigo too.  I "treat" it by giving myself a cease and desist order .  Takes a day or two, then back to normal, but more carefully.  I wouldn't go to the ER either.  It's so good that you could find a good home for all that soda and stuff!

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2013

Josie, if your breast is still swollen, a lymphedema therapist can maybe teach you how to move that fluid back into circulation.  Could your RO give you a referral?  At my three month rads follow up the other day, the NP set up an appointment to have my lymphedema lady work on my scar tissue.  Considering that I do not have much boobage to begin with,  I mostly find scar tissue to be my friend, replacing lost volume very nicely.  The fact that some of it is making my nipple kind of knobby, however, does not thrill.  I'm told scar tissue continues to form for about a year, so I'm hoping to see some improvement.

• josie123
    edited July 2013

Run free, no the numbing shots for my FIL are not working to get rid of the pain put lessens it .He is still not able to walk w/o walker.He can only go short distances though and definitely cannot drive which really takes toll on his pride.Thanks for asking.

Brookside, no he didn't mention lymphedema.But I guess he would maybe address that if I had mentioned.

I GOT to go to work but will post later.