Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited August 2013

Kate, enjoy your chemo break, ok? You sure did earn one. Hoping the anemia goes away so you can resume trmt.

Joan, I am carrying an inhaler with abuterol and I tend to need it some days and others not so much. RO says not radiation pnemonitis but I suspect she is wrong on that as I never ever had asthma in my life or ANY issues breathing. My PCP says it is likely stress induced asthma since when I am stressed, I tend to constrict. Who knows? I just know it stinks to have yet another SE from BC. Especially considering some doctors don't even think DCIS IS BC! Sure feels like it since I have a huge chunk of my boob missing after 2 surgeries and had to endure rads and now the drug from hell.

I am not too sure I want to switch to another AI or tamoxifen just yet (they are all options per my MO) as I want to give Aromasin at least 90 days to see if my body adjusts but right now, it is PURE HELL! Ugh!

True, what Chinese herb are you taking just in case I can't handle any of the AI's? Might need to switch to one.

SAB, YAY on the call back!

RunFree, sorry you are still itching so much. I have occasional twinges with some itching, but nothing I can't live with. My most obvious SE from rads is the total exhaustion that I have/had and now not sure if it is the AI or still lingering from the rads.

Josie, have fun at 6 Flags! Haven't been there in years.

Gigi, enjoy your day - you earned it!

Sew, I don't remember if I told you how sorry I was to hear about your brother. Forgive me if I did not acknowledge this or if I did and don't remember. Hugs anyway my friend. (((Sew)))

Back to work...see you all soon! xo

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited August 2013

April, thanks, it has been a bit tough.  And now my SIL has IDC breast cancer, although less than 2.0cm so that's good.  Her surgery is tomorrow and I'm headed down there to help.  Poor thing says she's got so much on her plate, that the cancer is on such a far back burner that she's not even worried about it.  Actually, that might be a good thing, who knows?

And I forgot to tell you a big CONGRATS on the smoking.  Way to go!  you're really past the hump on that one now.  Doesn't it feel just great? Laughing

Just an FYI for you, I've been having some occasional issues breathing, and an odd little cough.  Finally talked with PC about it, and he thinks it's related to GERD.  seemed strange to me but apparently the stomach acids can affect the throat and it's possible to have the reflux without realizing it.  Anyway, we're trying a prescription antacid.  amazingly it's working on the dry little cough.  It's possible the breathing is better too....but that only bothered me occasionally anyway.  I doubt this has anything to do with your Asthma, and perhaps mine is really an SE from the Arimidex I take, but I found it interesting.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited August 2013

Sew, I had the same thing.  A few years ago, I suddenly developed asthma, but inhalers did not seem to touch it.  I was under terrific stress at the time (even worse than this cancer thing, would you believe!) and they determined that acid reflux was the cause.  Apparently, it works while you sleep to irritate the lungs.  I started generic previcid and, lo and behold, no more asthma.  No more belly pain either!  I did have a bit of a recurrence during rads, and the RO said the position (flat on back with arms over head) causes reflux even for a lot of people who aren't normally reflux sufferers.  Now, with both the position and that particular treatment stress left in the dust, I'm more or less back to normal, well, normal for me, anyway.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited August 2013

Runfree my MO is out of town, and coming back Monday. Then I will find out what he wants to do about my anemia. He is not fond of iron pills, and mentioned a clinical trial iron infusion, and I don't care for that so, we will see. Brookside you are right I screamed from joy that chemo was canceled. When I go back for chemo on the 26th I will no longer be anemic. A couple of weeks off of chemo reverses the anemia. It is on the 3rd chemo treatment of the month that I become anemic. I am going to ask doc if for the last two months of chemo if I can take two treatments each month. I will refuse to take it if my red blood count is low. last time he had me do it, when my red blood cell count was low, and my hair shedding was the worst it has ever been.

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited August 2013

April, it really is a personal choice and it depends on the situation and cancer, etc. Mine was stage 1, neatly removed, with good margins, and no nodes involved. I went through the radiation, although for me it was huge and hard and I needed help every step of the way, but my husband and I and a number of trusted doctors all thought that was important and necessary so we did it. I had the onco-type dx test which, thankfully, in my case ruled out chemo for me.

But, as I said, I am the queen of side affects and I have always done very poorly with any hormonal messing. My gyn of 20 years insisted against tamoxifen. We researched the AI alternative deeply and I am still open minded to it, but there is not test given at our hospital to see how your hormones are doing. So I went to several other doctors for second opinions. The Chinese doctor (well trained) took a hormonal test after prescribing me a lotion I get at a compounding pharmacy that I rub into my skin every day. It is a combination crim-dysin, both natural AIs that are not well absorbed through the stomach or a pill, but are very well absorbed through the skin. They direct the good estrogens to keep up the good work they do and redirect the bad estrogens out of the system. The test proved this -so far so good-  is working in my system. My estrogens are behaving! Thank God! I asked my MO to take a hormone test to see if I really needed the pharmaceutical AIs. She wouldn't. She would ONLY test if I was on the AIs to see how toxic my body was and then handle the symptoms.

If I thought the natural route wasn't working or had evidence of it, or if I thought I could handle the  drug AIs, I would take them or try to anyway.  However, I didn't want to put my body through that if there was another way. But I also don't want to put down any choice a woman makes with her doctors, her loved ones, her family, her self. It is very personal and I respect all women for their choices.

But, be aware, I just lost my insurance because it would not cover me if I opted out of the "standard, one-size-fits-all" treatments, i.e. tamoxifen or AIs. Not fair that the drug companies have that much pull. And the drug companies fund the clinical trials, the hospitals, the insurance companies, and the docs in many many cases. Their clinical trials are the only ones they have to go on. But there isn't a lot of money for the natural methods so no research for little profits.

Still, any choice any woman makes needs to be honored. And some of the hooey out there is just that: hooey. Beware of those too. I think you are brave and that the AIs may very well be something you are able to get through. They do seem to help a lot of women. They are like long term chemo though and they are serious drugs.

I hope your side affects are remedied soon. Hugs.

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2013

Hi, Truebff,  I'm with you on the estrogen level test, am planning to ask my onc if he could do that, because I want to know how much of the stuff is available for those greedy little cells.  If your onc won't test for that, however, I suppose mine won't either.  Oh, well, I'm just going to go on trusting the arimidex.  Meanwhile, could you explain a bit about the good and bad estrogens?  I thought BC loved them all! 

As for your insurance company--can they really do that?  Have you checked with your state Commissioner of Insurance?

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2013

Yep, Kate.  Told you I heard you!  Seems to me that you can now, with zero guilt feelings, enjoy the biggest, juiciest, steak you can get your hands on.  If you like steak, that is.  Either way, really, really enjoy your surprise vacation.

• truebff
    edited August 2013

Hi Brookside,

Apparently my insurance, which covers cancer treatment only if it follows "standard one-size-fits-all" can. I was shocked. I am appealing it, but I will lose. Which will put me in an out-of-pocket and to cutting back to only the most essential tests and dr appts until "affordable health care" (hopefully) (that is supposed to not discriminate on "pre-existing conditions") kicks in, because the only health insurance options I have, since I was diagnosed with cancer -even though I am am c-free now- requires a 10,000. deductable and then only covers partial costs. The out-of-pocket, reduced care will end up being more affordable in the interim.

I am not a scientist, but my basic understanding of estrogens in a woman's body is this: we need our good estrogens (ones that work properly) even after menopause. They help keep our bones and hair strong, our skin (including our vaginas) supple and moist, and help balance our body's chemistry. Messing (they have discovered - adding in or subtracting out) with them can put us at risk for fatty liver, heart attacks, stroke, and cancers, emotional, mental issues, etc.

Bad estrogens are the ones that are not working correctly and go out of control. They are often sugar-fed, fed by being overweight (extra fat can turn into extra estrogens) (along with a number of complicated other factors that can contribute to some of them acting up in the body) and can become cancer in some women. We definitely don't want estrogens acting badly!

The docs want to eliminate the bad ones, but the AIs and tam. eliminate ALL the estrogens in the body, therefore many women cannot tolerate the side affects of being completely estrogen-deprived.

This is a simplistic explanation, and anyone, please jump in if I have it wrong.

Anyway, for some cancers, the AIs or tam. is a life saving choice. But I still believe it is not meant as one-size-fits all. I also believe the MDs should test for estrogens and their good and bad behaviors before subjecting a woman to such serious meds and their consequences. Instead, you too often hear the docs say the SE's are rare. They are not rare. Yes, some women get through just fine or with few SEs. Others, not so much. I was ready to face chemo if needed. It is a course and then, hopefully, you recover and move on. But five years on a chemo-type drug, (that some of my trusted drs and I can pretty well  predict by my own history), in my body would be overkill and likely also ruin my quality of life and is a pretty hard thing for me to choose without a scientific fact in front of me that there is no other way. I wish they would just do the tests ahead. I believe it is coming. But for now, not so much.

They don't want to know. It could ruin the results of the clinical studies. It could mean loss of profits and funding. And my gyn says that many oncologists are in denial - they don't want to harm women, so they deny the hardships some of these treatments bring. My other doctor -now retired- did huge studies about this and was VERY set against tamoxifen. His own wife developed tumors after only two weeks and he took her off. He said it is a risk each woman has to weigh on the AIs. He and his own wife opted not for her to take them. However, she had a non-invasive cancer when they caught it. But he also watched me never do well on hormones and he saved my life and soul more than three times in other ways. I am so grateful for his counsel. And, he was one of those very special doctors who listen to a woman's own listening to her body. A real hero of a doctor too. And head of his department until he retired and he still lectures across the globe.

But, once again, this is a personal decision. Women who take these drugs do seem to remain c-free for 5-10 years on studies. But other women do fine without them. My own paternal grandmother had cancer (different from mine) at age sixty and every single lymph node in her body was cancerous. They did a full mastectomy and radiation. She lived another 30 years. They didn't even have chemo then. However, she was a fighting Irish woman. And, also, all of her siblings died of other various forms of cancer. However, she died of old age.

It's a lot to look at. I would never advise a woman. But my own decisions have been very heart-felt and tough. I also had to look at -and change- certain stress levels in my own life, as I believe they contributed to my getting cancer. I just hope that my decisions are right for me and I pray about them too.

It is a tough decision. I pray for every woman for their LIFE!

• katehudson25
    edited August 2013

Brookside I hope there is not such a thing as consuming too much iron. I had two burgers today, and I am stuffed. I also went to the store and bought chicken livers. Liver has more iron in it than even steak.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2013

Sew, how good of you to go and help sil before/during/after surgery.  It is so very helpful to have a loving friend, and even better one who "knows the ropes" there to help. I am very happy to hear your cough is on the mend.  One less thing to worry about.

truebff, you sure summed it up in a neat little package.  We are surely pawns in the drug companies' money making endeavors. That doesn't mean that drugs don't have their place, but perhaps not for everyone.  It makes me livid that you lost coverage, and I wish you well with your appeal.

Kate, enjoy that steak, yum!  It's been over 2 years since I had one!  Eat one for me too.  but not liver, I don't like it.Tongue Out

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2013

It just makes so much sense to test estrogen levels.  And all the benefits of "good" estrogen are what we slowly lose with the A.I.s.  
    About the asthma, I have had at least 2 people tell me that by having a gluten free diet their congestion and respiratory issues and most reflux nearly disappeared.  Has anyone here tried it?

SAB, did you have your call back?  I hope you will have some good news soon - if it is a job you want.

Hi Janis, are you reading along?

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited August 2013

Hi everyone,

I have been reading but not posting. It is cold here this morning about 40. In August. I took a turn for the worst with this weaning down on steroids. Had an asthma attack Monday and just escaped the ER by using my inhaler several times and sitting in the shower steam. Apparently the extra steroids have been holding back the asthma as well as the Sarcoid. So I have the shakes, gastro issues, pain all over, migraines, dry gritty eyes, sore tongue, bad vertigo,skin rashes, leg weakness and hair loss. I think I covered everything.Undecided I know  there are so much worst things that people have but right now for me this sucks. I gave it a long thought yesterday but I am still not ready to throw in the towel and go back up in my dose. This is how I got stuck on this so called maintenance dose to begin with. My fear, anxiety and lack of knowledge when it comes to steroids and my issues are the problem. Then add in a group of Dr's not willing to work with me to get off before now. It is easier to tell the patient to just stay on the drug instead of working close and bringing them down. When I called them satins tic tacs they got the idea I was serious. If I had not demanded that they let me try I would NEVER be off this drug. Like I said I need to be in rehab but insurance will not cover it. So my sleep patterns are all off and I have been passed out early only to wake up still tied at 4am. Then I get all slumpy around 3 and try to take a nap but someone will call me and it messes that up so I stay exhausted. I have been trying to keep up with everyone in my reading and will post again soon. Need good thoughts right now and for the next month I am told.

Sab, Janis, RunFree, Kate, Joan, Trubff, April, Gigil and Brookside - We all need a group hug. 

Welcome to all the new posts.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited August 2013

Bunkie,please be careful with that asthma.I wish you the best sweetie.This is a personal struggle for you.

Yesterday was kind of rotten for the kids.My DD who was taking them to six flags had to wait for her boyfriend to get off work so it was 2pm before they headed out to the park.The park closed by 6pm.

Well she had car problems and broke down with the kids on the side of the highway.Then they had to wait for my hubby to come get them in the tow truck.

Very dissapointing for them

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2013

Consider yourself hugged, Bunkie.  You have such courage.  Does anything make you feel better-- hot shower, chocolate, aspirin, singing, naughty language, screaming and yelling?

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited August 2013

Bunkie....yuck, yuck, yuck. I always heard that steroids full time were quite bad for you and now I understand why. Thank goodness my brother didn't have to try to wean himself off them. You hang in there girl, you've got to turn the corner on this soon. (())

Josie....poor kids. I don't guess they considered that much of a fun adventure. Hope work is going better this week.

Joan, I hadn't heard that about gluten, but it's of interest. The only thing I find with gluten is that I gain weight when I eat breads..... And my SIL knows some one who went gluten free and she brought her blood sugars/diabetes under control

Sab....did you pass the interview with flying colors or end up giggling hysterically thinking of your DD's descriptions of why others didn't pass?

• katehudson25
    edited August 2013

Bunkie, I am so sorry that you are not feeling well. I hope you feel better soon. Josie I am sorry your kids were disappointed. Sab so hoping you got the job.

I am going for an ultrasound for my arm today. I honestly don't think this is anything serious, but since I have the appointment I will go. I am feeling well today and grateful. Friday I will party in Malibu.

• truebff
    edited August 2013

Bunkie, Hoping you are feeling better SOON!

• SAB
    edited August 2013

Bunkie, you are a brave girl and I am in the line to give you a well deserved ((((((hug))))) One moment at a time Bunkie, and you'll get through this.

Kate, glad you will have your arm looked at.  Might as well get some peace of mind.

Joan, my sil blames everything bad on gluten so it doesn't surprise me!  I have been cutting down but just can't quite get gluten-free.  sil claims it will help control joint pain.

Josie, too bad for the kids, though I always want to say "told ya so" when they start an activity late in the day.  Of course that would do no good. I hope they have time to try again before school starts!

Kate, Joan, Sew I think the interview went allright.  I followed April's long ago advice and for both of the interviews spent time looking up frequently asked behavioral and situational questions as well as researching the organization, and so I was prepared for most of the areas they explored. Of course, there are always one or two questions that you want "do-overs" for, but I do feel that I gave it a good effort and I am at peace with myself.  They did ask me for my references at the end of the interview (second interview was as formal as the first with 3 interviewers and 15 questions) and I should know by the end of the week.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited August 2013

Truebff and Brookside, I have thus far passed on the AI's. My breast surgeon wants me to re-visit the issue with the new oncologist she referred me to. There is an online lab called Life Extension Labs. They will send you a test kit and tell you where the closest lab to you is located. There are also saliva tests that you can send back to them. I too want to know what my estrogen levels are. I am suffering from frequent UTI's and atrophic vaginitis both which are side effects of low estrogen. I don't think this whole thing is a one size fits all kind of deal. I would love to be able to take estriol vaginally, which is a cancer protective estrogen. I need to find an oncologist who treats with a more individualized approach. I am not opposed to taking AI's if I believe I have circulating estrogen in levels that might harm me.

Bunkie, I am thinking about you. Your body is likely to go through all kinds of twists and turns without that prednisone. I wonder if there is anything natural that could help, like maybe curcumin? It alleviates inflammation. It is in lots of foods we eat like mustard. Maybe do some Internet research and see what you think.

Joan, I was at our little house in Lakes Country yesterday and because we were low on groceries. I didn't want to shop for more food that will only outdate, so I had shredded wheat with milk. I eat little wheat based food or cow's milk. I had the worst heartburn I have had in years. It scared me, and screwed my stomach up for the whole day!

Kate, glad you have a respite from chemo. Build that blood up again, girl!

SAB glad that interview went well. You are a sharp cookie and the right job will come your way.

SEW you are so kind to be there for your SIL. She will appreciate your TLC. Prayers for her.

Josie I was sorry to hear your kids' trip to Six Flags didn't work out! Darn it!

• josie123
    edited August 2013

SAB glad to hear the interview was good.I hope you get that phone call.What I always tell myself is if it's meant to be I will get the job...if not then I won't.I need to get off my butt and start trying to find something on tues and Thursdays.Today was my last big paycheck and we will really miss those 16 hours.

Kate glad to hear you had an ultrasound on that arm.How does it look??

True buff, I'm on Tamoxofin and don't have any regrets about starting it.It was a big leap of fate but there is a lot studies on that drug and I knew what I was getting myself into when I started it.I trust my doctors and I don't have a uterus any more so the chance of uterine cancer is not there for me.

Gigil, I have the same problem with milk.It gives me heartburn.I guess I'm lactose intolerant.

The kids went back to school today.It went ok but poor Andy found hee was on the wrong bus on the way home so he first off before it left but left his book bag on it.He takes a different bus in the evening.Weird huh ?

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited August 2013

Bunkie, after your list of all your awful symptoms it was kind of a shock when you said "I know others have it worse."  What you described is horrendous!  I give you a lot of credit for toughing it out.  I like GiGiL's idea of some gentle remedies, but I would bet you're going to be cautious with all that's going on.  I just hope it improves fast.  It sounds all but unbearable.  Big hug from NH!

SAB, best of luck on the job!  I'm sure your preparation really showed.  I was on the hiring committee for a new faculty member this spring, and it was glaringly obvious who had done their homework about us and our needs and who hadn't.  It makes such a difference.

Kate, I hope the ultrasound gives your arm the all clear. 

We got home today and I called my RO's office right away about the itching attacks, left a voice mail for the nurse.  She spoke to the doctor and then called me back.  I have to say I was disappointed because they were apparently not that interested.  I know they deal with much more serious things, but I did wait two weeks before calling.  The nurse said, "Maybe ibuprofen?"  Duh.  Come on.  I mentioned that I'd tried my mom's expired 2.5% hydrocortisone and she asked if I had any of my own.  I said I had some 1% and she said I should try it.  Argh.  That's what I was doing two months ago, when it wasn't as bad.  She said it's probably just a normal post-radiation effect.  I asked if I could expect it to go away at some point and she said yes, but I don't think she really had any idea.  It makes me feel kind of panicky to think about this going on indefinitely.  Because we've been away, I didn't know that they made an appointment for me for next Friday 8/23, so I will get to see the doctor then at least.  (I never understand how that works, making appointments for people and just notifying them by letter.  What if I'd been away straight through when the appointment was, never seeing the notice--could they charge me for a an appointment they made for me that I didn't know about??  And doesn't this just lead to lots of rescheduling because people are busy?  I could so much more easily have told them what times would work for me.)  Also the nurse said I could call and set up a quick visit Tuesday when the doctor is in if it's really bad. Anyway--unlike your woes Bunkie!--this really is minor I know, but I wish they'd at least make a show of sympathy and problem-solving.  If I didn't have time off during the summer, I'd have to be more pushy.  As it is, my faculty meetings start in about ten days and I can't be scratching and clutching my boob all the time.  People might talk. 

• katehudson25
    edited August 2013

I do have a blood clot, but it is a superficial blood clot and does not affect the deep vein, thank God. Thank God too that I don't need blood thinners. For now doc's nurse practitioner said to use warm compresses and to take ibuprofen. I will go to see doc next Fri. it's always something, but I am ok.

• josie123
    edited August 2013

Oh Kate , that's terrible.Is it on the arm that they do chemo on? I thought you had a port when you have chemo?Do you think they caused it when you had your last blood draw?

• SAB
    edited August 2013

Runfree-You made me laugh, thank you for the boob-clutching, faculty meeting image. I've been to plenty of faculty meetings where that would not be considered the worst behavior in the room Surprised.

Kate, wow, I'm glad that you had the imaging and that it isn't too serious.  Follow doctor's orders now, and take good care of yourself!

• katehudson25
    edited August 2013

Josie I don't have a port but it is not in the arm that I have the infusions. I am just so glad it is not in a deep vein and that I don't need blood thinners. I will find out if maybe it just will go away when I see doc. Aug.23.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2013

It was a beautiful day today in the East...I got stuck on a closed highway while going in to work for a short time.  I did manage to get to the beach for an hour after DH got home...Beautiful daytime first quarter moon ... crisp clouds and gentle breeze. 

Tomorrow morning my grandson (9) and grandaughter (7) arrive for 3 days. I am also expected in NJ to help with my other grandaughters...but I have to wait until Sunday.  So I will be very busy...next week is my last week before work starts, and I plan to spend it with my grandkids.  Only 2-1/2 weeks until my DD moves...hope I can hold it together!

(((Bunkie))) you are a brave lady to fight so hard to get off the steroids.  I know people who are on large doses for a long time...I never heard their stories of getting off the high doses. 
    My dear friend is RV-ing in northern WI and UP of MI and she reports the cold too.  She sent me a pic of coral fossils in the ancient rocks and I was very excited to see that.  It's hard to believe a warm shallow sea covered that area.

Josie, I can relate to your kids' foiled adventure...we've had multiple disappointments and car breakdowns in our long kid history...but still, it is sad...and now school has begun.  I hope they can put together another fun day soon.  Sorry about the bus mishap...it never ends!

Runfree, your discomfort and rash symptoms are not trivial and you deserve to know if it is something out of the ordinary.  I know that feeling when you try everything and wait until you can't stand it any more before you call....they should realize that you've tried the obvious. 

SAB, that's an intense interview.  I'm glad you prepped...I am sure you did great...now, let the invisible powers that be apply the unseen criteria...and maybe you'll hear back positively!

Gigi, I find as I get older it takes less of something to trigger a response as you describe.  A piece of bread, a sugary snack...anything can cause reflux.

Brookside, it's time to start thinking of a NE get together...as you suggested!

Sew, thoughts and prayers are with you and your SIL.

For anybody who needs a hug....

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited August 2013

Joan, I am hoping to spend time with my kids andngrandkids next week. It is DH's annual Canadian fishing trip. I am trying not to worry about him too much.

Kate's glad it was superficial. DH is on blood thinners for life. Yesterday, I helped him repair a lattice. He was up on a ladder, using power tools, and even hit himself in the head with a hammer! He was trying to pull a nail. He is a very coordinated guy, and he would NEVER do something like that if he weren't on Coumadin! Murphy's law! I about had a fit! He is okay, thank God! That stuff worries me.

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2013

RunFree, I'm sure the rest of the faculty would very much appreciate a bit of boob clutching during the more boring parts of the meeting.  Meanwhile, how's about calling back and saying you need to be seen, and today!  My guess is you just got the wrong nurse on the phone. 

Kate, sorry about the clot.  I had one on my arm several years ago after an IV, and the doctor said that if you're going to get a clot,  this is a very safe location and there is no danger of little bits breaking off and causing trouble.

Joan, and all, I'll be in Wilton, CT the weekend of September 21.  Any chance anyone else will be around?

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited August 2013

RunFree - Thanks for the kind words. I know it is a LONG list of symptoms and it seems to be getting worst but I have to look at people on 60mgs of this stuff. Prednisone shuts down the adrenal glands when used for a long time. When I first got sick back in 03 they had me doing 40mgs a day. I lost 50% of my hair, was bedridden most days, used a walker and when I went in the sun my skin bubbled up within 15 minutes. I lived in Cali so it was sunny every day. I spent all my time in ERs and hiding in the car going to the Dr. They were able to bring me down after 6mos at 5mgs every 10 days till I got off. My body had not gotten used to the drug. The drug works well when administered that way. Hit it and quit it. It sucks out all the inflammation in your body and calms down the allergic reaction to stuff. Like your itch. Given a 6 day pack of prednisone it could work for you and you are not stuck. I think there is also a creme that the Dr can give you. Your Dr will be better than that nurse with what you need. I can not imagine you scratching all day trying to work.

Kate - That is good news that it is not a bad clot. Blood thinners on top of all the stuff you are doing would be hard. I think I read you may be done with chemo or have to continue. Not sure. Anyway I am so glad you are doing OK. Thought about you yesterday when I tried on my black crinkle long skirt for fall. I wear it with cowboy boots and a really nice sweater. I also have a deep red velvet one.

GiGil - I am looking into more natural stuff but I have so many allergies to herbs and spices. Not sure what would work. Guess it is time to go see my naturapath again. He wanted to wait till after the BC treatment to start up again and thought I should get off this drug also. 

Joan - it is actually easier to come down from higher doses than below 5mgs. That last 5 is the clencher. Ugh.

Someone  on here mentioned wheat or gluten. I finally have an appt with a new gastro next month and he is going to test me and do a scope. If I am wheat or gluten sensitive that could make a big difference in my symptoms. I really do not want to but have found a few wheat free deserts that are great. Pasta will be my biggest problem and bread. Once a day I eat bread. I guess I could get a bread maker and make my own. Anyone here have issues with wheat? It never bothered me till I had my gallbladder out...then it started to act up.

• SAB
    edited August 2013

bunkie, after sustained pressure from my sil I have mostly switched to gluten free pasta (quinoa penne from costco) and it is a good substitute. Tasty.  I also buy good gluten free crackers there. There are good gluten free breads too--I'm sure Udi's is everywhere--though I have not completely made the switch over yet.  For me, the biggest stumbling block is the ridiculous cost of gluten free products...it seriously dents my grocery budget and leaves less money for necessities, like chocolate.