Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited December 2013

Runfree thanks so much for asking. He gave me a prescription for water pills, and will try one tomorrow. It probably won't work, but it is worth a shot. If the water pills don't work I am probably stuck with this fat thigh until chemo.

I am going shopping tomorrow. Retail therapy makes me feel wonderful. Going out with my doctor friend next weekend.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited December 2013

Thanks Kate! I'm going to hope those water pills work. Worth a try for sure. I'm so glad you'll get to go shopping and will soon see wonderful Tracy!

Wyo, good luck with the Tamoxifen. It's not common to have skin effects from it. My RO was stumped and said she'd never seen it. She called in a senior colleague who said he'd seen it once or twice, and they contacted a dermatologist who was less fazed. I'm glad to hear the Rx hydrocort is helping you. I was about to get some but then the on-call derm suggested Triamcinolone, so that's been my go-to cream. I've had an itchy palm--channeling you a little, Kate--but I'm going to keep dosing it with the cream and otherwise ignore it.

Kim, thanks for the explanation about your chemo. It's amazing that we have all these therapies that will bring our recurrence risk down so much! I don't know that second test, and the Mammaprint is not done (that I know if) in my cancer center but I have heard of that one. It's good that he did it. Hope your hives don't come back with Tamoxifen. I think hives are so fluky that there's no predicting them. Rashes are like that in general, so many unanswerable questions. I wonder if a lot of these mysteries will have been solved in 50 years. My derm told me there's even something called "red itchy rash syndrome," aka "we have no idea syndrome."

Quite on a whim, I ran a local 5K today, my first race since being diagnosed. Cold, windy, and an unpleasantly hilly course, but a lot of friends were there and I liked the pancake breakfast afterward. I won an age group award but that was due to the race officials mistaking my number for someone else's. I know because I have a GPS watch, and my time on my watch was 8 minutes slower than my official time! Also it wasn't actually 5K. But it was fun, and it felt good to get back into running with other people.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited December 2013

Hi everyone. Just back from Florida to the frozen north. We thoroughly enjoyed our time down there. It was my daughter, GS Cole, my husband and then my sister and brother in law joined us unexpectedly. We had some sun and light hearted times. It was just what everyone needed. My husband and I took a bold step while down there and rented a very nice apartment for the next year. I am going to drive down right after Christmas and he will join me the middle of January for a month. After that, he will commute back and forth for the rest of the winter. The sun and warmth will be so therapeutic for both of us. My car will be packed with golf clubs that is for certain. This is a big step for the two of us. We have become very decision shy as of late. I am very excited about this!

I have read all past posts and I am caught up, I think. Kate, sorry your leg is swollen again, but I'm glad you are making some decisions about surgery, chemo, etc. I am so glad you don't let all of this stop you from doing things you want to do. Run, so glad you did the 5K. It must have felt so good to be out there, doing that.

Janis, glad to hear from you, and Sew and Brookside. Joan, your Thanksgiving sounds amazing.

I am still having those hibernation and isolation urges that some of you mentioned. I am always working through it, and doing as I please for once in my life. Feels good doesn't it? I am listening to my own body and psyche for the first time ever. It feels like the right thing to do.

Itchy rashes everywhere. My lower legs and upper left back drive me crazy at times.

Welcome to Kim. You will find some great friendship and much experience here. Glad to be back in touch. Cindy, I might need some moving advice soon! You are one busy lady!

• RunFree16
    edited December 2013

GiGiL, wow, congratulations on the apartment!!! Watch out--you might have a lot of us coming to visit you! I am really so excited for you that you can now look forward to this new adventure. It sounds great, just what you need and just what you've been wanting. So glad you had this great trip with Cole too. Boy, did he deserve some light-hearted fun!

It's interesting to me that you're having the hibernation impulse too. Actually I think you're the first person to use that word, but it's perfect. I am VERY sorry that you are in the Itch Club! What on earth is going on???

One of my Facebook friends, a former student, yesterday posted a general question: What will you do to make 2014 a great year? Recognizing that nobody knows what the future will bring, I still think it's a great question. I wrote that I was going to take some time to think about it, because my first impulse was to say that just getting the heck out of 2013 was all the achievement I wanted to think about. Bad year almost from Day 1. My mom's health trouble blew up on January 3, and I had my first BC-related appointment on January 7. But I never like to wish time away, and besides, good things did happen this year, like my cancer wasn't as bad as I feared at first, and I met all you lovely people! And I wanted to think more positively about next year anyway. So far I'm thinking I want to do two things in particular. I want to stay on schedule with my book, and I want to run a half-marathon and then work toward another marathon, which could be the following year. There are other things that will come up anyway, and I have some goals for the house and so on, but those are the two things that will take long-term planning and focus. So yes, thank you GiGiL, it did feel great to get back out there in the running game, and it helps me think about where I hope to go next. Forward!

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2013

HI all

Itchy rash still bumpy and red but at least 75% less itchy I am sooo happy. I had some kind of energy burst today- not a 5k by any means but did do flow yoga last night then jumped up today 4 loads of laundry, cleaned my cabinets, made a casserole and did all my peer reviews and self- eval. Not sure where the energy blast came from but I will take it while its here.

I am going to Miami on Tuesday so got all my clothes out and started packing. Have a business meeting sunday night through tuesday am so have to get my sh$% together this weekend LOL. Husband has already arrived in South Beach but he needs it more it was -17 yesterday in wyoming haha.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2013

Wyo I was going to complain about the cold but I think I'll skip it after your post.

Run, I'm so excited for you running again!

Kate, good job gathering info and making decisions that work for your life. I admire your approach.

Gigi, somewhere warm and easy…wonderful!

Welcome to Kim

Hello to all--Joan, Brookside, Sew, Janis, Bunky and whoever I left out. I just don't have time to read back too far tonight. I hope that all is well, and I'm sorry if I missed anything…just wanted to pop in. Just finished a week long training on reading admissions materials. Very complex, demanding work. Every app is read 1-3 times by actual humans, and there is lots of discussion too. Who knew!

• gigil
    edited December 2013

SAB I used to screen and participate in interviewing medical students and applicants for a summer program. Fun stuff,

Run I am all for moving onward and upward! Let's do it.,

• RunFree16
    edited December 2013

College applications, big topic in our house because my daughter is a junior in high school, high achiever but very much resents the game. ANY insight you can shed on the process, SAB and GiGiL, would be much appreciated!

Wyo I'm glad your rash is less itchy, and I'm impressed with your energy burst! I need one of those, not for running but for the rest of my stuff!

• TeamKim
    TeamKim Member Posts: 301
    edited December 2013

RunFree -- I am also a professor, and my DS is a college freshman this year. I remember well the college search and app game, though for my DS it was complicated by his desire to play D1 baseball. He ended up at Cornell, playing ball and went the ED route, so he didn't end up applying anywhere else. If I can help or answer a question, feel free to send a PM.

• gigil
    edited December 2013

For med school, we were looking for a well rounded person, It also went in someone's favor if they had done some volunteer work in their interest area. Of course GPA and completion of prerequisites weighed heavily, and written recommendations played a part as well as MCAT scores. A well written essay always caught my notice. I loved reading an essay from a young person who had a sense of who they were and where they wanted to go. If I could glean some compassion from any of that, so much the better.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2013

Gigi, so glad you had a wonderful trip. I am so happy for Cole and Maya. There must have been many smiles.

What a great plan you have to break up the wintery cold with some warm sun.

Wish we could arrange a mid-winter reunion for everyone here in a warm place!

DH and I have been talking more about retirement. We have always said we would work forever. I no longer see it that way....It is frightening to see the changes we'd have to make but it is good to know we can do it when we have to.

Run, I did forget to congratulate you on the not-so-nice-weather run and the honors, whether a mixup or not. YOU DID IT!

DH is polishing the floors and although I don't like the smell in the house, it makes me happy! They feel so clean are shining.

Tomorrow I have to go back to NYC again...taking a number of students on a field trip to the Museum of Natural History.

need sleep.....

• joan811
    edited December 2013

SAB, just saw your post....wow you are busy when others are winding down. I hope you will find it interesting and not too draining.

My upcoming week will be crazed....am stepping in for my academic chair to cover all his classes PLUS my full time day job PLUS my two afternoon and evening classes.

It is outrageous that anyone expects me to do that for 4 days. I had to force myself not to speak what was on my mind.

But we all get through, don't we??

off to sleep...

• katehudson25
    edited December 2013

Runfree congrats on running a 5K

Gigil an apt. in Florida sounds wonderful, enjoy!

WYO have fun in Miami

I actually had to turn my heat on today. Rarely do I have to do that in Santa monica, but the low was in the 40's.

I had fun shopping today, and bought earrings, a sheet set, and a cozy nightgown. I love cozy nightgowns, and I am cozy in it right now.

Lasix worked a little, but not much. Does anyone know about Lasix dosages. Doc prescribed 20 mg, but I am thinking I need a bigger dosage.

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2013

hi kate

love the idea of a cozy nightgown- my heat is on in the bay area too and its kicking on pretty frequently

as far as the lasix- 20mg is a standard dose for this diuretic. If you are noticing an increase in urination starting about an hour after you take it, I would say its doing its job. Because lasix is not a potassium sparing diuretic I would not increase the dose without consulting with your physician. You don't want to develop electrolyte imbalance- muscle cramps or low serum potassium levels. Keep us posted.

• katehudson25
    edited December 2013

Hi wyo. Yes I experienced frequent urination an hour after I took it. Thanks for letting me know

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited December 2013

Wouldn't it be wonderful to get together somewhere warm and "research" this cocooning/hibernating/checked out feeling so many of us are experiencing?  I'm going to be in southern Georgia sometime in mid January, so if anyone happens to be in the general area. . . .

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited December 2013

Hi ladies -

Wanted to stop by and say hello. Saw the word "hibernating" and realized that is exactly what I have been doing. My friends have practically given up on me. They call and want to do things and I always weasel out or cancel if I say yes...sigh. I think between the SE's of the aromasin which are pretty bad and the horrific couple of years I have had with my Mom dying and my dad going down hill and my MIL being stage 4 and in her final days, my dear friend's husband being diagnosed stage IV esophageal cancer, I have just realized that I am somewhat depressed. I go to work everyday but other than that, I am going through the motions. I cry at the drop of a hat these days. I miss my Mom so very much.

Only one person I wanted to give a shout out to and that is Kate. Hang in there sweetie. I feel like a brat since I know my problems pale in comparison to others. You are an inspiration and I know that you are such a positive person despite your illness.

Hugs to all...just know I am thinking of you. I am a downer today so going to end this on a positive note! Despite the crappy year I have had, I have not smoked in over 8 months. At least something good came out of all of this!

Take care and will stop by on a day I am more up beat! xoxo

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2013

so nice to hear from you, April.  BIG congratulations on ditching the cigarettes.  Having done that myself, I know it's been a challenge, and I'm so proud you've accomplished such a major victory despite hibernation temptations.

Let me ask you about work--are you more effective and present with your clients, less with the paperwork (like me)?

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2013

April, hugs back to you. I hope that things start looking brighter and that you will emerge from hibernation. So many of us on this thread know how you feel. Hang in there!

Kate, I slept in sweats and a thermal shirt last night…maybe it's time for a nice cozy nightgown!

Run, Gigi is right…well-rounded goes a long way. Every institution looks for something different, but ours includes quantitative information like grades, honors and test scores balanced with qualitative information like volunteer work and activities (leadership roles and sustained involvement in those undertakings count.) We do not accept recommendations, so the essay is important too. More, but those are the main areas. No secrets here…we share this info with every prospective student who asks. Good luck!

Joan, too much! It doesn't sound like you are "winding down" to me! It sounds like you are the "go to" person in your department, so make sure you point that out when the time is right.

Ah, trying to find the energy to exercise this morning. Appointment with editor this afternoon. She loved the book (yay) but has many suggestions that indicate some pretty serious rewrites (draft 3 here we come!) Oh well…at least I know how I'm spending my winter break!

• april485
    edited December 2013

Thanks Brookside and Sab. To answer your question, I am absolutely better at the "client interaction" part than I am with the paperwork..I HATE the paperwork aspect of my job big time and there is a whole lot of it since the program I work with is federal and state..ugh!

Ok, back to laundry. Hugs and Happy Holidays to all of you!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited December 2013

I have caught up but have no energy to write to everyone soooooo....

I wanted to comment on the hibernation/depression situation April. I get it bad in the winter. Mi has less sun that Seattle so you know it is doom and gloom all winter. Being that I am still in this house in need of repairs I am stuck. The plumbing job is going to cost way too much for me to get an apt this winter or travel to Ca to see a friend so I am going to my cousins in Jan-Feb. It is close to here so I can be around in case the repair job gets crazy and my cousin and his wife are happy when I come. I cook and his wife loves the break. Plus her 14 year old daughter thinks I am cool becuse I am from California and really talks to me a lot. That helps her mom to understand some of her thinking and I can get her to do things they can't. I am going to take some photos with me and see if she can help me post on here. Teens are so much smarter when it comes to posting than someone like me. I am hoping they are done with all the remodeling they started in Sept by then because I am really sensitive to that stuff but it is a big house. If I have to mask up and stay in my room a lot that is ok. It will be nice to be around people again. Even though I feel like crap they like to drag me around to all the little shops etc so I get out of my rut. My BF will be here in April for about 6 weeks. He is going to close his business in Ca and move it to Vegas to see if he can start up there. Business in Ca is slow in the auto repair field it seems. So I will be around people more till about the end of May. Summer I am not so bad with the depression and then with the house up for sale I hope by then it will not be long before I can get out of here. I do think it is dumb to rent a place in the same city I own a home in BUT in my case I think the break will do me good. You never know the change of so called toxins floating about may help my symptoms.

Runfree - I hope by now you have some info on your sister and that DCIS. That is what I had but did not do the MRI guided biopsy. Once they came out and told me it was cancer I lost all sense of reality. I scheduled the lumpectomy very fast from the fear the cells were trying to escape the milk ducts and get into my breast more. Now that I have taken this journey I would slow down a bit and get a couple other opinions. I hope it is just some cells that are benign.

Kate - That leg is still acting up I see. Hopefully the diuretic helps. I could not take lasix because it took too much of my potassium. Being on steroids does that too so it was double trouble for me. They were going to try it because it is a treatment for meniers disease and that might be causing my vertigo. My mom took it and she had no problems. Really helped with the swelling. I hope your leg gets better and I know you are looking forward to some time with your family in Feb. When I get upset with all my health woes I think of what you are dealing with and they seem pretty small. You are a real trooper.

Gigil - That apt sounds wonderful. Just waht you need. Where in Fl?

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited December 2013

Wow what a busy thread this has been this weekend.

BUNKIE I'm glad you'll be staying with your cousins and have more people to be around.That will be good for you.

April so glad to hear from you.I hope you are doing ok.Yay for you going 8 months smoke free!!

RunFree, good for you running a 5k.Boy that's great!! 

Joan you've been a busy bee too!! A field trip to the museum of Natural History.Can I come? Sounds kind of neat.

SAB, I guess I missed your post about your book.I didn't know .You and RunFree writing books.That's great!!

Brookside, how is that rash?

Kate, how's that rash and that leg? I never heard what that team of dermatologists said about the rash.Cozy night gown..sounds like a plan to me.Sometimes I get home and get my pj' s on even if it's only 7pm.

Kim, welcome,I hope your radiation goes smoothly.Remember, lots of protein and drink lots of water.Pace yourself.You will eventually hit that wall of fatigue but fight right on through and you'll get through it.Oh and moisturize.

WYO, welcome also. 

GIGIL, so jealous....Florida apartment for the winter.That great.Glad you had a good trip.You deserve it.

I had a pretty uneventful weekend we picked out the Christmas tree Sat evening.

We put it in the stand but need more lights before we can decorate it.I had a super busy day.Went to church,took the girls shopping for their Christmas outfits with my mother in laws Kohls Cash.Went to babysit for my handicapped brother in law, so my in laws could go to dinner.Made a meal for all of us,baked cookies,and cleaned up the dishes after.Came home and my  DR wanted to do the tree.Thank God we ran out of lights.Cause this mama is TIRED.

Got to go to bed night all!!

• katehudson25
    edited December 2013

April, I am so sorry that you have been through so much. Congrats on quitting smoking.

Bunkie, I am so glad you will be surrounded by people. I bet your outlook will be so much better

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2013

Greetings everyone. April so good to see you again. Quitting smoking is a huge accomplishment. I was a lifelong smoker and I quit a little over 4 years ago. Never looked back, but there were some tough times.

Gigil it sounds like you have been super busy but all in a good way. How fun that you will be able to winter in warmer weather. It was eleven degrees BELOW zero this morning, and our 'high' made it to 14 above. Not much fun, but I baked all day. I am trying to get my care packages to the four sons mailed by Wednesday. I have made three batches of almond toffee, two batches of a favorite bar cookie, two batches of everyone's beloved marzipan, three batches of cake balls (extra lemony), oatmeal cookies and dipped pretzel rods. Yikes, lots of stuff here but it will all get mailed out by Wednesday I hope. I send a care package to my sister and her family and to my dad and his live in GF. The postage about kills us but since it is all we do that is okay. I love it when people love my homemade treats. I also make trays for several neighbors and for the pharmacy staff where I get my prescriptions. They are awesome people.

Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I hope everyone is having a great day so far.

• katehudson25
    edited December 2013

Janis just reading your post makes me gain weight lol

My surgery will be Jan. 30, so I have 7 weeks to have fun. I wanted a Monday, but got stuck with a Thursday. I wanted first thing in the morning, but got stuck with 12:30. Minor details I have an excellent robotic surgeon, and a great surgeon assisting him.

• joan811
    edited December 2013

Kate, finally, a date and it i becoming reality that you will have surgery. I will think positive thoughts and keep you close in prayers for improved health and quality of life. You are one brave lady....I think you may be wearing that princess warrior coat lately.

I got through the roughest day this week while covering for another prof. My students did not get all their papers back so I add that to tomorrow's task. Bummer -- I found out that next Monday when I scheduled their test, there is no class...they are holding Monday classes in the day and Friday classes in the evening. I don't know what I'll do...I have the Wednesday after to try to come up with a solution. Students would love if I cancel a test.

Bunkie, glad to hear you are planning to see your cousin & family again. It sounds good for you. Winters are tough even without the stress of the house problems. I think we are all feeling a little down....

April, I think you said you cry easily...that is happening to me and I had not really cried in years.

I think last time you were on this thread you were having breathing difficulties. You sound better....how did that resolve? I was so worried for you, knowing you had to work and cope.

Janis....mmmmmmmm...I can smell the delicious treats from your oven.

We had snow Sunday on the way home from NYC...it melted about 7 AM today. Tomorrow, a surprise storm will bring 1-2" or maybe up to 5" in the center of LI. I usually get rain or sleet but at work, it's a hilly area and usually snowy there. What fun....finals scheduled at 8 AM...what a crazy time for a snow storm. California girls, bundle up! That is quite cool ... have not heard from DS in SFO...maybe he is using the scarf and gloves i got him last Christmas.

Off to sleep...good night everyone. I am so glad to have you all here to share our ups and downs and hibernation stories.

• april485
    edited December 2013

Snowing like crazy here in CT - 2inches to 5 inches expected they say. I am going to leave work early if it keeps up. Do not want to get stuck leaving with the masses.

Thanks Janis and Joan.

I am doing better in the breathing dept and have not had an episode since Sept. The PCP doctor gave me an inhaler in case...said it was "stress induced asthma" but I believe it was from the rads nicking that lung...no one will admit that though (not the RO for sure!) as they did tell me my lung could not be kept completely out of the field and I had a whole lot of rads (dose dense one week trial 2 x a day if you remember) in a very short time period and I think it is rads related.

I want cake balls now Janis (guess I am doing better today if I want those..LOL)

Kate, you are in my prayers for a speedy recovery from your surgery as are all of you ladies.

Thanks for the shout out and to all of you, Happy Holidays!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2013

Joan I don't know how you keep up that hectic schedule. It doesn't sound like you get much down time. Hopefully you can find time to relax over the winter holiday. You deserve a break my friend.

Kate I am so glad you got a surgery date, no more wondering when. I'll keep those lemon cake balls coming.

Josie you did have a busy weekend. Sounds great though having time spent with family.

April I am happy to know you are no longer having those breathing problems. It sure is scary when it is happening. I hope you don't have to experience this again.

Back to finish my baking today. I don't have much more to make, but I am making a batch of fudge for my dad. Today is 'dip and decorate' day. I made 160 lemon cake balls, 74 chocolate/mocha/cinnamon and 100 marzipan. I coat the lemon in white chocolate, the chocolate in milk chocolate, and the marzipan in dark chocolate. Then finish off with colorful holiday sprinkles. It is not difficult just time consuming. We got all that dough rolled into the ball shapes yesterday so today's work is much easier. I really love doing these for people but it sure is labor intensive. I am very lucky to have a DH who loves to help. We make a great team and the time goes by so much quicker with his help. We have lots of fun!

Still bitter cold here but I know much of the country is going through this too. Try to stay warm everyone!

• katehudson25
    edited December 2013

April, Joan, and Janis thanks for the support. April and Joan believe it or not I am jealous of the snow. I love snow, and it is 66 degrees here today

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2013

Hi, y'all.  I've been kind of quiet--really trying to figure out who I am and what I want out of life.  Part of it is the cocooning/hibernation/checked out thing, part is probably my one-year checkup tomorrow with mammo, MRI, BS.  I'm not feeling apprehensive about the workover, but it sure does seem to have sent me into "pause."  Truly, I'm wondering why so many of us seem to be feeling so disconnected from our normal routines, and why there is so little information out there about this apparently normal-ish response to our experiences over the past year or so.