Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited November 2013

Oh, Kate, I am not the least little bit surprised. I'm sure the nightgown and slippers are not only snuggly, but elegant as well.  You will behave yourself today, yes?  No? Ummmm.  My mother always said you have to suffer to be beautiful.

Josie, Cornell is the absolutely most gorgeous place on earth.  Senior year in college, my girlfriends and I spent a lot of time there.  Gorgeous scenery or not, I must confess we were a teeny bit more interested in the equally gorgeous frat boys.  Such youthful fun!  I think we all should go crash with your niece. 

Joan, I'm not at all surprised that this was your first parade.  I grew up in Brooklyn, lived in Manhattan, then Long Island, and only went to the parade one time.  Fun for the kids, cold and miserable for me.  I kind of like the nice, warm, family gettogethers with the parade marching by on TV with the sound turned way, way down. I've also never ever managed the Black Friday ritual--always too exhausted from all the turkey triptophan.

Hoping turkey and cranberry was the secret cure for you rashites, RunFree, Kate, Josie, and anybody else.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited November 2013

hello everyone, I have not posted in a while but have been following all your stories- you are great writers!

My question-almost a year and a half out of rads I've developed a rah-red with some red bumps-mostly on my right upper trunk and on the right bc breast. I know rahes are a current theme. I guess it could be caused by rads, but some of the spots are kind of distant from the area. Has anyone experienced this?

Hope envy one had a great thanksgiving. Joan, it can truly be said u had the best seats in the house for the parade.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2013

Good gracious--another mysterious rash!  How's about when Kate sees her posse of dermatologists, all you rashites go too--group to group might prove the solution. 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited November 2013

You're right, Brookside, I think these rashes are all contagious, and now poor Susannah has one. Good to hear from you susannah, but Oh, dear, a rash. I don't have any experience with what you're describing, but if you want my guess, I'd wonder if it isn't a skin allergy to either a new bra or new soap or lotion or something like that? The radiated skin on our bodies take a long time to completely rejuvenate itself and I've gotten a few new reactions in the radiated area that I've never had before (like to silicone in the compression sleeve of all things). Or, could this be some sort of truncal LE? Usually LE is more orange peel like and sort of lumpy but you never know. If you know how to do gentle LE massage, I'd try that for a few days. Good luck and let us know....we're going to rename ourselves the Rashites and collect amazingly complex stories!

Ok...I walked with a good buddy yesterday and then even poked around a few shops in town "shopping locally" in my very tiny town as it were. I felt so righteous that I came home and snacked on pumpkin pie....Oh My was that good! It needs to be gone though, as does this extra pound or 2 that have attached themselves to my body. I really don't need any more freeloaders gathering around my belly!

Hi Joan...ok, now you get to cross Thanksgiving Parade off your bucket list, done up in style I must say. Enjoy your weekend off and don't bury yourself in all those papers that need to be graded.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited November 2013

Joan and Brookside, yes I think it is beautiful up there at Cornell also.We were looking at the pics she took of the gorge on the other side of campus.She's a lot like her father.Loves to take pics.Good thing too because I'll probably never get to get up there to see it.She's a runner too.I'll bet that makes for some beautiful places to run.She is majoring in biology and is a graduate student there.I think eventually she wants to be a professor.She shares a house with several other students off campus.Looks like everyone has a little corner to live in.

Susannah, so nice to hear from you.Sorry to hear you have a rash too.

• SusannahW
    edited November 2013

Josie, sew, brookside, I love you guys! Always there to give support. Fellow rashies, let's keepin touch.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited November 2013

Susannah it is so good to see you here again! I take long breaks too but always try to keep up with everyone. I am an oldie to this group one of the first members. So many wonderful new people here and I am thrilled they find solace with this group. It is sure a great bunch.

What is with the outbreak of rashes? How strange! I hope everyone can get them under control soon. I haven't had that problem and hope to keep it that way.

My friend/neighbor Kay asked me if I could help her out. She volunteered to bake 8 dozen cookies for her church tomorrow and found she has no time. So, I am baking today and DH is a huge help. We did four batches of different ones. M & M cookies, similar, Cream filled taffy cookies, Spritz and Chocolate Mint. The Taffy Creams are my absolute favorite. I mean, nothing much but flour butter and brown sugar. They are filled like an Oreo, the filling is white but I make it and then dye half red and half green. Everything is baked but the Spritz, we have to get our guns out and do those last. I can't believe what I did last night. I had not been feeling well all afternoon but wanted to get these cookies started. DH always helps and he usually mixes the dry ingredients while I work on the wet. I tell him what to blend but was distracted with this sour tummy. Got two trays in the oven and I lost it....sick as a dog and barely made it to the bathroom. I ended up in bed, he finished baking and came and showed me the cookies, they were flat. He said he wasn't sure about baking soda or salt or powder since I never mentioned it. Crap! He is not a baker but a great help but needs me to remind him. Rut Roh. He felt so bad he said he would go to the store for another bag of M & M's. Make sure they are the Christmas red and green ones. I was too sick to do anything last night so went to start this morning and he had gotten peanut butter M & M's. Poor guy, I told him I could just use those but he didn't want to. So off to the store we went for yet another bag. Everything looks great so far, the kitchen smells wonderful!

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend doing what you enjoy!

Plenty of love to all. :)

• josie123
    edited November 2013

Janis, sorry you were sick but that was so sweet of your hubby to try and help.Bless his heart.Glad to hear your better and baking up a storm again.I was in the baking mood or should I say the homemade mood.I made homemade Carmel corn and Turkey noodle bake last night.Just what I needed.Not!!!I haven't been to good with the old diet this week.But better than hubby.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited December 2013

Janis I am sorry you got sick

Josie, Joan and Brookside thanks for the support.

OMG I hope I didn't do irreversible damage to my leg. My bad thigh is 3 inches larger than my left thigh. With lymphedema there is such a thing as elephantitis, and I pray I haven't caused that. If so, then chemo won't take it away. I am doing manual lymph drainage massages with a You tube video. As much as I despise chemo if it takes away this swelling I will be ok with it. Doc says that there are no guarantees that it will take it away, but it did last time. I am hoping to have surgery the middle of January. Then a trip to Chicago the middle of February, and then chemo right after that.

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2013

Kate, so sorry about the swelling--so unfair that shopping (also my favorite sport) can be expensive in more than one way.  Videos are so great; how did we ever manage in the olden days without them!   I guess you know a lymphedema therapist will know exactly the correct techniques for your particular problem and can teach you the most effective approaches.  Meanwhile, I'm sure hoping another day of couch potato-ing will make a significant difference.  Personally, I just love couches because it's so easy to put your leg all the way up on the back, rather than just a little up on a pillow. Here's hoping your shopping scored some yummy chocolates--so appropriate for couch days. If not, maybe they can deliver? 

I cooked my own turkey yesterday.  This concept of Thanksgiving at the kid's house with teeny, tiny leftovers just didn't cut it.  Now, uh-oh, what do I do with all that meat?

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2013

Hi susannah, janis. Nice to see you gals, but sorry you are not feeling well. Still, what a sweet dh for baking, right? Big points, even for flat cookies.

Kate, not again. I'm sorry, and I hope that the massage helps. Can you go see a LE therapist?

Sew, I have some of the same freeloaders that I am trying to outrace with lots of running and hiking. So far they are keeping up with me though…darn. I have misplaced my self-control and can't seem to find it.

A little sad today after saying good-bye to my brother, his wife and 3 kids. Had a wonderful Thanksgiving and Hannukah with them, and admit to shedding a few tears when they piled in their car to leave. So lucky to have them though, and trying to hold on to that thought.

Off on my second walk of the day, and getting mentally ready for some very tedious and sedentary training at work this week. Have a wonderful week everyone.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2013

Trouble posting today....posted earlier and it is not here...a long one...

Having dinner out soon with DS from Chicago...he is leaving tomorrow.

Will read and post later...hope everyone is enjoying the turkey hangover!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2013

Sab...near as I can tell those pesky freeloading pounds are actually waiting for us at the end of the trail....unless of course it's really the latte I treat myself to for having completed an exercise routine? Glad you had such a great visit with your brother and family. Tears are the hallmark of a successful visit in my book!

Joan..hope you enjoyed dinner with DS....how cute of him to plan that for you. Sort of an early holiday present

Kate....lucky Black Friday only comes once a year..it gives you lots of time to get that pesky swelling down again. Hopefully it's better already

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited December 2013

Susannah, so sorry you've joined the Mystery Rash Club! Mine started with terrible itching on and under my radiated skin, but after a couple of weeks, it spread to little red not very itchy spots just outside the radiation field. My RO who said at first that it sounded like contact dermatitis and to try a super eco pure detergent. Then it got worse, and she contacted a derm who said to use triamcinolone cream (which my RO then prescribed), and it worked like magic. The last couple of days, my BC breast has had that itchy, prickly feeling inside, off and on. I may have missed a few doses of Bactrim this weekend--but I hate to think I'm that dependent on it. We got home from our travels this afternoon and I put some of my cream on it, and I think it has calmed down. Anyway, I recommend triamcinolone to you if there's no obvious environmental culprit.

Janis, I'm so aghast that you had to leave the baking operation to go toss some cookies of your own! What a rotten development. Your husband's helpfulness is astonishing. Mine's pretty good but he would never have done all that. I hope you're on the mend and I hope the cookies were a big hit.

Joan, I loved hearing about the parade and party. I watched a bit of it on TV and it looked pretty cold. Were you dressed warmly enough? I would think it would be hard if you bundle up to be outside and then also go to an indoor party. Yes, I knew you'd have grading! I have been a slacker with mine this weekend and will pay for it tomorrow.

Josie, I love the pictures of you and your sister and your cats! I'm partial to the tuxedo one. My mom has two kittens and I got to play with them this weekend. At first, they were completely in hiding, but they gradually got braver, although the house got very full of adults and kids and even my sister's dog.

Kate, I'm concerned about your leg as you are--but I think you are a shopping powerhouse! I would not have the patience to stand in line for an hour. Getting comfy things for yourself is a great cause. I am jealous of your derm team appointment, I must confess. I hope somebody flashes onto what your palm rash is. They may have been secretly researching it all weekend trying to be the one to crack the case in front of their colleagues!

Sew and SAB, I am NOT weighing myself right now! But I'm doing a fitness challenge (on Facebook) that is making me set goals every week and try to meet them, and I find the accountability is really helping me work out more often than I would. We had a great weekend. We left the kids at my mom's and stayed in a hotel a couple of miles away, hanging out happily with her (and her kittens) and my sibs and their kids (and one great boyfriend and a dog) during the day, and then on Friday we left for Burlington, my mom keeping our kids, for about 24 hours for some shopping and restaurant-hopping and general grown-up time. We did not achieve our prime shopping objective (iPad mini for son), but we ruled a couple of places out and got some other things that we liked. Back to my mom's, stayed at her place last night, home today and I did 4.3 miles on my treadmill, 3 of them running, to complete my weekly challenge goal. It's hard to get back into the work grind, and the end of the semester is always so intense. Forward!

• SusannahW
    edited December 2013

run free, thank you so much. We happen to have some triamcinolone ointment left over from a rash my son had, so I will try that. Seeing my breast surgeon again on Wednesday for a rash review.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2013

Hello everyone....I know I am not the only one to see the long holiday week end be over....hope it was happy for you.

Re: Josie's kitties....I love the black...looks just like our cat Samantha....she then had 3 kitties with white boots and chest...one of which we kept. That was our kitty that lived 16 years and we have not had a pet since.

Runfree, sounds like a great week end for you. I am staring at the papers that remain ungraded...and am falling over with sleepiness. I swore I'd be done....(and re: parade - I was indoors for the whole thing [spoiled] so I never got )

I was thinking of all the rashes here -- my DD#2 had a red blotchy / dot rash this week end which I noticed before she told me it was all over. She told me she had weaned off steroids after many years (for Crohns disease). Her immune system is strengthening; but she has developed serious drug allergies. I have no idea what is causing her rash. I do think that the dryness of winter and the heat being on further irritates sensitive skin. Her son broke out in bumpy small hives on his face on the train as we watched....he said their big dog woke him with a face wash. Who knows what is causing a rash...??

Susannah, I hope you get to the bottom of this mystery.

SAB, I think those extra hitchikers we may have are contagious too. I hope your week ahead isn't too stressful.

Janis, I cannot believe you baked all those cookies for someone else. As they say, "no good deed goes unpunished"...so sorry you had to get sick in the midst. DH to the rescue...how valiant!!! Time for you to rest and think about staying well.

Thanksgiving is a wonderful time....and Hanukkah such a special celebration. I was able to see 4 of my kids and 6 grandkids in 3 days. DD #1 surprised us with a trip up from DC with my 2 grandsons. We continued our "tradition" of going to Radio City Music Hall for the Christmas show. I enjoyed this unexpected day out (back to NYC) and all the fun with the kids who are getting so big. We had a great lunch after, and all children behaved wonderfully (that's a first). Only sad point is that DD#3 had to go back to MA before we made this impromptu plan...she started the tradition and we missed her a lot.

Back to work; schedules, lessons, papers, students' excuses and problems....almost done though.

As we head into the next few weeks of the holiday season, I hope everyone can find time for taking care of ourselves and our families.

• SusannahW
    edited December 2013

run free, the ointment is working on the spots! Radiated breast still red, sort of like it was during radiation. Seeing BS Wednesday.

Thanks joan!

• RunFree16
    edited December 2013

That's great Susannah! Hope the BS has a good explanation.

• josie123
    edited December 2013

Susannah, I'm glad the rash is improving.

Kate, how's the leg? How about the rash ? Have you seen the team of dermatologists yet?

Joan, glad to hear your weekend was great with your family.Glad you enjoyed the pics of the kitties.Your partial to the all black one? You know she is the moodiest of all the kitties? I raised her from a newborn.Bottle fed her.She climbs up on my chest and lays every evening but don't dare move her off my daughter's bed or you will end up with scratches/bites.

But the tuxedo is the most gentle cat ever.He would never think of scratching much less biting anyone.He is so sweet but prefers to spend most of his time outside.BTW I also get hives from certain breeds of dogs like min pins or boxers.It's like a instant contact dermatitis.It usually goes away quickly though.

Runfree, glad you enjoyed the pics also. Sounds like you had a busy weekend but enjoyed it.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited December 2013

Ok it has been awhile. Something has to snap me out of this no sun for weeks midwest almost winter funk.There is so much to read I will most likely do it in sections. Not that you all would hold me to it but I want to.

Janis - That darned mole...I have one too just noticed on my calf. I asked the PCP about it because it is flat and the edges are wierd. It is black and when you rub your finger across it there is nothing there. She said it was ok but just to be sure I am going to a derm first of the year.

Kate - That is good news that the rash is not worst. Maybe as I read ahead I will know what it is or was. I did not go near a Black Friday store but I am so glad you found such great bargins. Hope your leg is doing better. I can not remember what I read about your treatment but I am sure it will work out.

Josie - That is a pretty kitty. I wish I was not allergic because I love animals. Cats are especially cuddly and make good companions.

wyo - Ants are the bane of my exsistance in this old house. I have the original crank iron windows and they crawl in all around them...all spring and summer. Mine take the TERO most of the time but not up in the bedroom. Up there I have to just kill them as I see them. Did you get rid of them?

• katehudson25
    edited December 2013

Brookside, Sab, Sew, Runfree and Josie thanks for the support

Sab, I am glad you had a nice Thanksgiving, and do understand that it is sad to see family leave

Joan I am glad you were able to spend time with you Chicago son, and glad yo8u had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend

Runfree it sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving weekend, and I am glad

I did not get to see all 6 dermatologist yesterday. I only got to see two. I have an appointment next Tuesday, and hopefully I will get to see the other four. So far they do not know what this rash is. The other dermatologist thinks it is related to chemo, and said he is going to research the chemo I had in regard to rashes. Hopefully they will have an answer next Tuesday. Thanks God the rash does not itch, but I want to get to the bottom of what is causing it.

My poor leg is very swollen from the knee up. Thank God it is not painful to walk on, but it feels incredibly heavy. I emailed doc, because I thought it was irreversible elephantitis lymphedema, but he said that since my skin is soft that it is reversible, thank God. I can't stand seeing my leg look so grotesque. It looks like it belongs to a 400 pound woman. Even though I despise chemo, I won't mind it as much if, and I say if, it takes the swelling down. Doc says chemo may or may not work to take the swelling away. I will have to endure this bad leg for a long time. I still don't know when my surgery is, and chemo can't be started till I recuperate from surgery. Right now it looks like I won't be able to start chemo till Mar. 1 or later than that.

• RunFree16
    edited December 2013

Oh Kate, I'm so sorry to hear that your leg is so unpleasant. I sure hope it eases up at least a little, better yet a LOT, before you would be back to chemo. Also I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to get the whole six-pack of derms today, but it does sound as though this clinic is on the case.

I go back to my derm tomorrow and I'm hoping to get off the Bactrim and onto hydroxyzine. I now have an appointment with my MO on 12/18 also.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited December 2013

Hi y'all

Nice to hear from silent voices...you've been missed.

Rash rash rash...oh my hope y'all get cleared up...don't want to see spots...rashies go away.

Josie - tux cat...gentle :) but I so miss a big dog...golden :)))

Bunkie - sending Rancho Mirage CA sunshine :D healing health too!

Kate - sorry about your leg. Will PT help...I'm going 2X week for LE in trunk and arm...ugh:( ask...compression sock...light skin brushing? Your plan of attack for 2014 sounds great!

Joan - GKs memory making...I've got 3 play dates with my 1&only GS :D this out of state gma is making another shutterfly book...Where are you Gma? We can read together on iPad...snapping selfies...oh the places to make it toddler interesting ha! Santas lap ho ho! Hoping he will do a sleepover...ds&dil enjoy fun at condo <kiddo :)

Tomorrow I see MO...not sure what to ask...HT Aromasin seems to be ok...except for me hair loss. Brought my hair for pics. I guess blood work bone density...any feedback 6 mos out! Schedule BS soon...

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2013

Seems a bit strange that they haven't given you a date yet, Kate.  Could the urologist's secretary be napping? Maybe a ring-a-dingy on the phone will be good for her?  I sure hope that leg decides to behave a bit better.  Apparently, it thinks it's the shopping police and we know that's not needed. 

RunFree, I checked my derm's website last week.  It lists one of her  specialties as "diagnosis and treatment of rare skin diseases."  I'll bet you anything that if you check your guy's site, it will say the same.  (If it didn't before, he probably added it the minute you walked out of his office that first time.)  Anyway, good luck with the appointment.  I hope the next time you go it will be to show him perfect, non-itchy skin.

At my last MO appt, Lulu, he just wanted to answer my questions.  Said no reason to do an exam because I'd be seeing the BS (don't you just love those intials!) soon.  Soon happens to be next week, so my first year will be officially over. 

• RunFree16
    edited December 2013

Great point Brookside! I'll check his website. There's something else going on that I just recognized in the last day or two. I still feel vulnerable, wounded, cocoony. I hadn't really been thinking about it, but then I noticed my pattern. On Tuesdays & Thursdays, I get to work at 7:30 and teach until 5. On Fridays, I work at home on my book. But on Mondays and Wednesdays, I don't teach and only have an office hour Wednesday at 11, with occasional afternoon meetings. I do have gobs of work to do, prepping and grading. On those days, my plan this semester has been to get in a quick run after breakfast and then get to work by 8:30 or 9. Instead I've been puttering around at home until 10 or later, sometimes napping and not consistently running. Nobody has questioned me about getting to work late, but the other day I questioned myself about it and I realized, Oh yeah, I don't have that charged-up, gotta-go-to-work feeling I used to have. Instead I like to stay home, get into a fetal position or dabble on Facebook or just wander around.

It doesn't help that I was on sabbatical in 2011-2012 and did spend a year at home, then was back for only a semester, last fall, before I was diagnosed and went on a reduced schedule. So not being at work every possible minute has started to feel normal. Before my sabbatical, I was on a zillion committees, chairing several, in addition to teaching and advising and everything else. I got off my committees because of the sabbatical, picked up one last fall, dropped it when I was diagnosed, haven't picked up another. That's OK work-wise, if instead I'm putting more time into scholarship, but it isn't typical of me. I really like to be deeply involved in the internal workings of the university, and right now, except for some departmental tinkering, I'm really not.

It also doesn't help, of course, that my skin thing has been on my mind most of this semester. I'm basically asymptomatic now, still with little scars but they're fading. However, that is Bactrim-aided. We'll see what happens when I go off it. And I have a new area of sore muscles under my BC breast, against my rib cage, presumably from tugging around the SNB incision. I should probably go back to PT. It's just that it keeps BC on my mind still, a bit more.

Since I admitted this to myself, I've been feeling it much more. Today I am gearing up for my 90-minute drive to my derm--I don't really like driving--and feeling resistant to going to work at all. (I don't check in on this site from my work computer; I'm home now, at 9:30.) Just climbed back in bed for an hour, had a little whimper. How much more vulnerable would I feel if I'd had chemo, a mastectomy or two, reconstructive surgery, or several of those? I had sort of the least invasive treatment course and yet I'm withdrawing like a hurt bunny. But it's not anything conscious, until now, just this general reticence about getting all the way back into my life. I trust it will pass, in time, but I wanted to put it on the record and see if anyone else has had the same feelings.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2013

Bunkie I so hope you can feel better soon. Chronic pain/illness is hard on the soul. Be good to yourself Sweetie. Never lose hope. If you ever want to talk, please let me know and I will PM you my number. Sometimes just having someone to listen helps a lot.

Kate, my goodness you sure are going a lot these days. The rash is so mysterious! I so hope they can get to the bottom of it and get some relief for you soon. The same with the leg swelling. I know how hard you try to be 'normal' and keep up with your daily activities. Just remember to pamper yourself, curl up with a good book or movie and elevate as often as possible. I'll keep those lemon cake balls coming. Sending you gentle hugs.

RunFree I hope you too feel much better. Your schedule sounds insane and I think the wanting to curl up in bed is totally normal. Especially since cancer and your long break from work. It is bound to cause a lot of conflicting emotions. Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up. When you look at everything you have gone through and where you are today is amazing. I think we all tend to be hard on ourselves and need to look at the positive. Not one person on this forum has an ongoing pity party. You are all out there living your lives and bravely taking on new challenges.

Brookside what a year it has been for you too. I am 2.5 years out from diagnosis and BC is no longer on my mind all the time. You are a strong brave lady!

Josie I love cats too, have three that we rescued when living in Wyoming. We had one rescue kitty, Bella. The sweetest soul on earth, she is a grey tabby. We do not go to any shelters because we don't need more animals. However, we bought our dog food at the Petco in Cheyenne. We were blind sighted because the day we went the shelter had brought in several cats and kittens for adoption. Rut Roh. Seeing an animal caged just tears me apart. One cage had two kittens, a solid black about 4 months old. His cellmate was a tiny Dilute Calico about 8 weeks. Long story short, that was over 5 years ago and Pistol and Poppy are still happy and healthy. Miss Bella is ten, wow. Pistol is a riot, a typical outgoing boy who enjoys tormenting his sisters, especially Poppy. She is a tiny timid little girl and can switch gears from sweet to nasty very quickly! She is a weird little thing but we love her. We love them all.

Cindy I am glad things are getting back to normal after the move. You mentioned big dogs and we have two Golden Retrievers. They are our children. My youngest son lives near Denver and 9 years ago decided to get me a rescue Golden from a rescue in the area. I had lost my very cherished Golden, Spencer, to cancer just a few months earlier. Adam also lost his Golden, Arizona. Adam did some homework and found Golden Retriever Rescue of the Rockies. They are a breed specific rescue that does such amazing work helping these kids. They foster them out and get to know their personalities so they can place them with the proper family. The adoption fee is $300 but that includes the spay/neuter and vaccinations and all necessary vetting. Adam was still mourning the recent loss of Arizona and said he was not interested in adopting too soon. We had to have a home visit and fill out a long application, all that was good so we went and met Adam and Jen there. A little over 100 miles from us. The director, Mary, told me when I got there that they had just gotten in a big beautiful blonde boy. He was pulled from the pound in SW Colorado and they drove clear up there to get him. He was a neglect case, they know he had been an outside tied up dog. We met him and it was love at first sight. He was super happy, so sweet and funny too. So Sampson joined our family that day. Adam paid the adoption fee and also gave me a $200 Petco gift card. The best part was they are always looking for people to foster these guys until they are adopted. Since Adam insisted he could not adopt, Mary talked them into fostering Will. He had chronic allergies and was not easy to adopt out because they knew his vet care would be high. Adam and Jen are amazing pet parents. Three years ago they adopted a special needs dog from them, a female who was born blind as a result of poor breeding. She is an absolute angel. Sadly they lost sweet Will in May but had 8 wonderful years with him. We had Murphy, another we rescued as a puppy from a rotten Back Yard breeder. He and Sammy are best buddies. They are both about 9 now. I worry about losing them but so far they are healthy and I am very happy. They are our children.

Wow can't believe how long this is! Sew, good to see you here too. All of you even the ones like me who don't post often. You ladies are strong and loving and so supportive. I am blessed to 'know' you all.

Have a wonderful week, happy doctor appointments!

XOXOXOXOXOX

• katehudson25
    edited December 2013

Runfree, Cindy, Brookside, and Janis thanks for the support.

Runfree I hope you get the answers you want from your dermatologist appointment today

Cindy I hope all is well with your MO appointment today

Brookside probably the reason I haven't heard from my surgeon's scheduler is that he is so booked up. If I don't hear from them this week I will call next week. Shopping police lol. I love it.

Last night I noticed that I had a gnat by my computer. Now I am wondering if gnats could cause a rash on my palms and face?

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited December 2013

Hi y'all

White coat anxiety over ... Happy Dance! Only 1 more to go BS! Yes, Brookside luv the slang...good for another 6 mos. Girl a bit tender after exam swelling from LE, but all good. I've got to master LE massage swollen trunk & arm have got to go...not giving up flying. What all do you take as supplements Calcium&Vit D?

Kate - gnat rash! Hummm Hope you get on surgery schedule soon...shopping police ha ha! Enjoy the sunshine today...it is a beautiful day:)

Janis - Good to hear from you. Happy week to you! Cake balls yum:)

RunFree - turn up the radio for the drive today! Self reflection...moving beyond BC is different for each of us. I think withdraw as we work through our treatment is normal...I'm so grateful for support of family and friends. Being retired, I've made healing my priority and have avoided some things...ie not teaching 2 classes with kiddos (germs) or another hi risk class. But have focused on exercise, dance, mediation, tai chi, walking...but also I moved to new area prior to dx and again last month. If anything I'm more selective and deliberate. There is purposeful intent. Professionally, I worked with lots of people, but needed my alone quite time to recharge...comfortable with self...but I do need down time to give my best. Not a hermit, but have sought more me time so not drained by others. Bugs hubby that I don't call everyone and go go go...I chose who&when...I've earned that...learned in my 50s ok to say no. Just do what is right for you...you will know when to push yourself more...if it bugs you than challenge yourself to change...if not just enjoy life!

I don't get caught up in the stats of BC...would drive any sane person crazy trying to cover all bets or predict the future...ugh :( would miss out on too much.

Bunkie - sending happy healing thoughts...hang in there!

Time for afternoon walk...buds in...go!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2013

RunFree--Ditto.  Details different, cocooning, disinterest, etc. the same.

• RunFree16
    edited December 2013

Brookside, Cindy, Kate, thanks as always for your support. Cindy, I love your point about choosing carefully who to spend time with and what to spend time on. More me time, more quiet time, that's what I crave and seem to need. Janis, it gave me great joy to hear that after 2 1/2 years, you aren't thinking about BC all the time. A friend who had horrible breast cancer said that to me--one day you'll realize you're not even thinking about BC--and I don't feel as though I'm thinking about it consciously all the time, but it's always there, like a cloud on the edge of my vision.

My derm gave me the two words I wanted to hear: I can come back merely "as needed." I'm going to taper down the Bactrim to once a day (instead of twice). He said he DID call in the hydroxyzine Rx the last time I was there, and he showed me the order on his iPad, but the pharmacy didn't get it. Oh well. He sent it again today, and this time if they don't have it, I'll know to call the derm's office and run interference. At least I learned that Bactrim alone, no hydrox and no Triamcinolone, completely controls the rash. The hope is that I can taper the Bactrim and not have new symptoms, but if I do, that the hydrox can handle them. I am optimistic. I went to Panera Bread after the appointment, my favorite treat, and had a nice little feast. Drove home feeling lighter and relieved.

When I got home about 4:30, my daughter said my youngest sister had just called. That was weird. I called her back right away. I'd forgotten she was having a screening breast MRI yesterday, set up because of my diagnosis. Today she learned that they found stuff. "Non-mass enhancements" on the left that are probably DCIS, and something on the right that is probably benign. She's going to have an ultrasound on the right next Wednesday, biopsy to follow immediately if she needs it, and an MRI-guided biopsy on the left on Thursday. All through my cancer last winter and spring I kept thinking, Thank goodness I'm the one to get cancer and not either of my sisters. Both are single moms, and poor. This one is doing better than the other. She's 43 and has a new job, decent-paying but not pleasant, and she has a great boyfriend so she says she doesn't really feel like a single mom anymore. But her ex is quite dysfunctional, and she said on the phone that the worst thought she's had so far is that her ex would end up with the boys (ages 9 and 11) if she died and they would totally fall apart. (She's right about that--they would.)

I am just in a numb, shell-shocked state about this. I am still hopeful that it will turn out to be one of the false positives that MRIs can give, but my sister said the woman who called sounded quite certain that the left side had some kind of cancer. I kind of feel as though I've been hit by a truck. I have about an hour of work to do but I think I will just crawl in bed, do the work, and go to bed early.