Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited December 2013

Brookside, me too--quiet on this site and hibernating. Again today, so far, I'm dawdling at home rather than running, getting work done, or going to the office. Good luck in your tests today. It does make one stop and think, and probably the anniversary dates will continue to do so. I suspect there's information about this in the book After Breast Cancer, but I haven't been in the mood to open it up again!

Today is my sister's first hurdle, the ultrasound on the likely benign side, with biopsy to follow if they don't like what they see on ultrasound. Tomorrow is the MRI-guided biopsy on the likely DCIS side. To make this all about me again (!)--I just feel weighed down, like I'm dragging myself around, maybe wearing ankle weights. I have a really sore muscle on my side below my BC breast, as I think I've mentioned, and it's getting more sore by the day. I see the MO next week and I'll get a referral back to PT. SIGH. Soooo tired of appointments. I have barely had a week without one since August. I am supposed to get more blood work done this week. I think I'll put it off until Friday. I've had a bit of itching since I reduced my Bactrim, just enough to keep me wondering, not enough to make me start the tranq. Even when I feel completely normal physically, which is most of the time now, I don't feel normal mentally and emotionally, or at least, I dip into abnormal several times a day. I know I'm not dealing with the level of stuff many of you are, like Kate and Bunkie and others, and I'm very grateful for that, believe me. Just tired of the grind.

Janis, have you ever posted the actual recipe for your lemon cake balls? I would love to have it.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited December 2013

Brookside, I am in your pocket today. I get how stressful this first mammo is after diagnosis, even if you are not thinking about it being anything but normal. You do not realize the toll it takes and how it builds until it is over and you hear the words "Everything looks good" and then it hits you. I remember crying in the car on the way home...and then crying again when I told my husband...and my best friend. I could not believe how choked up I got for a few days whenever anyone asked how it went.

I did burst into tears when the radiologist gave me the news too! That was embarrasing...gotta admit, but she said it was very normal.

Runfree, PTSD is hitting a lot of us and I think the holidays exacerbate this phenomenon (for lack of a better term) and we get more blue due to all of the forced gaiety. Just my opinion perhaps but I think there is some validity to it.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited December 2013

So sorry about your sore muscle, RunFree.  All these annoying minor things are the pits.  I'm also doing PT.  Stupid hamstring injury and stupid rotator cuff problem.  And now my knee hurts.  One good thing about PT:  Last week my therapist was away, so they put me with a guy who does, well, I know there's an official term, but to me it seemed like deep muscle massage.  An hour's worth.  Heaven! 

Maybe if I ever develop any energy I'll also read that Life After Cancer book.  Probably a better idea to write one..

And you're right, April.  The holidays are no help at all.

• april485
    edited December 2013

Brookside, do you think it might be the Armidex? I know the aromasin is kicking my butt big time in terms of joint pain and my knees definitely hurt quite a bit.

Runfree, I know you must be a comfort to your sister at what is a very difficult time in her life. I hope your pain lessens under your breast. I know I still have residual pain in my lefty (the BC breast) sometimes but not so that it is debilitating in any way. My worst problem is all over joint pain from the AI and it is pretty darn bad some days. Yesterday was horrendous!

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2013

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were the arimidex, April.  I usually take it in the morning, but one day a couple of weeks ago, I forgot and took it at night.  The next morning, I took it again, and really, really felt sloggish all day.  I've thought of switching it to nighttime, but I'm afraid I'd forget and this is one pill I don't want to fool around with--reading some of the other threads,  I see that some MO's are treating their patients' mets  with arimidex, not chemo, and I'm 90% ER+. 

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited December 2013

Hey there ladies. Run I have been dealing with sister breast issues as well. My next younger sister had a mammo that the tech said looked abnormal under the left nipple. She came over on Tuesday after that, and was trying to be cool about it. I reassured her that mammos sometime pick out a lot of cysts and artifacts. She seemed to feel better, but went home and began vomiting, which lasted all night. It ended with her having to go to her doctor and get anti-nausea medication. She suffered about 36 hours until her husband called the breast center today beseeching them to find out the final diagnosis on the mammo. Turns out the radiologist read it as normal and my sister made a quick recovery. She was feeling mightily relieved today. Poor dear. We both said it is amazing how one test can either make or break a woman's life - at least temporarily. It just sucks!!

Brookside I have spent about two years trying to come back from all of this. I don't have any idea which direction to go from here on out. I am still at loose ends. Some days I feel inspired and some days I can't get off the starting block. I find when I keep moving on a daily basis and eat right (staying away from sugar), I do much better. I made a wonderful veggie lasagna last night. My husband loved it, and he is always fighting against too many vegetarian meals. I am slowly winning him over. Today he was leaving for a four day ER shift and he made a great chopped veggie salad topped with chicken. He left me a serving and took the rest to eat at the hospital during his breaks. I have had double my usual goal of eating 5 fruits and veggies a day.

Dad is having a pretty good run right now, but the anxiety rose a little with my sister's scare this week. And then there is sister #2, the youngest who throws tantrums when we don't do things according to her plan when it comes to dad. That is not a calming situation in any way!

Kate, what is the latest with you? Doing okay?

Man, Christmas is sneaking up on us! I have decided to get each of my loved ones, one great gift instead of multiple small gifts. That means I am almost done shopping. Now I can hopefully do some baking and candy making. Miss my mom's Christmas goodies. She was the best. I can't think of a thing I need or want, but managed to figure out I could use a nice warm sleep cardigan (Eddie Bauer) and a FitBit. Has anyone heard of the FitBit? My daughter turned me on to that. WE got her one too. My gift will be the ability to be in Florida for the winter. Excited about that!!

My second son's wife is ready to deliver their son. We thought it would be today, but it turned out to be false labor. I can't wait to see that little face.

Hugs to all of you wonderful friends. I so appreciate being able to stop in and see how you are all doing. It helps to know we are all going through similar cocooning issues. I don't feel so weird.

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2013

I had my one-year checkup today: Mammo, MRI, and visit with the breast surgeon.  Everything looks good, but what I want to tell you all was that there was a choice (yes, right there, on the spot, patient choice) of regular mammo, or 3D.  The 3D has about the same amount of radiation as a regular mammo, is more accurate,and has fewer false positives.This year, I decided that as I was having the MRI, I'd have the regular mammogram, but next year, and thereafter, I think I'll do the 3D.  Has anyone done it yet?

• gigil
    edited December 2013

I don't think I have heard of that. It is different than the digital mammogram? Right?

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited December 2013

Hi y'all

Brookside - Congrats on 1 yr check-up...done :))) yippee all good! I had the 3D on left & reg on right & will have MRI in 6 mos...wow a surreal year. I wrote a Thank You note to my Dr who found my c, did my biopsy, made that hard phone call, and setup 1st appointment with a surgeon...grateful :)

GiGil - whew, your poor sister ugh! What an ordeal :( glad dad is doing good...families so challenging parent care and our birth order behaviors. Excited fit bit is a good reason to seek the FL sunshine! Good for you...GKs will love the excuse to see Grammie & the happiest place with mouse ears! XO the new babe!

Kate - a date! YouTube massage...helps with LE:) cozy nighty good RT times :)

April - good to hear from you! Butt kick ugh :(

RunFree - Congrats on the 5 K :) see Run run...go girl! Fingers&toes crossed for your sister...ugh this c :(

Joan - time is ticking...classes almost over...than family fun time:)

Janis - cakeball recipe yum:)

Bunkie - glad you will be spending these long days dark winter days with others...:D lights up the heart! Keep pressing on with your care...that house will be gone next year at this time!

LE is ugh...arm, trunk, compression :( hope this does pass and not return. Enjoying exercise classes at my BC center...I luv the classes, people, but hate that we qualify for this service.

Shut out to everyone! Ho Ho Santa's elf has a bit more work to do...will try not to blow that North Pole cold air snow hail burr down...

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited December 2013

I had the 3D mammo last year at diagnosis and again this year for follow up. Last year I had felt a lump, so they were looking closely. My tumor didn't present very clearly, even on the 3D, but that was probably because it was lobular ( it was apparent on the MRI). I'll always go for the 3D and hope that my insurance company will agree to annual MRIs for a good while.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited December 2013

Brookside, So glad all your tests went well

Runfree I hope all goes well for your sister

Gigil so glad your dad is doing well

I am feeling well in spite of a very swollen leg. A little down emotionally because of hair. Yesterday I had my extensions taken out, and now my hair seems so short, and so very thin. Still the fall looks good, so I am grateful about that. God only knows how bad my hair will get doing chemo a second time. At least it is the kind of chemo that thins your hair, as opposed to chemo that takes all of your hair. I am going out with tracy ( Dr. friend) Sat night, and she always makes me feel good.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited December 2013

Hey, everyone, I lost my post earlier this afternoon because my kindle died at the very end of my post.

RunFree, I hope your feeling better and I hope all went well for your sister.I wanted to let you know that I know last night I had no energy at all so tired on the way home from work but for some reason I still went to my workout.My instructor took one look at me and said I'm going to push you harder.Cardio is my worst .I really don't like it.But after we did cardio for like 30 min she had us on the floor with the balance ball.She had us put it between our knees and then sitting up to grab the ball and bringing it back over our heads as we laid down.Then she had these weighted sticks that we used like weights.We even worked on our hamstrings at one point.I felt so energized by the end of the workout.I wish you could find a program like that .I think it would really help you.

Brookside, I hope your joint aches are better too.Send that massage therapist my way ok?

April, did you see the news show this evening about Arimidex? They were talking about how it can decrease your risk of getting BC again by half.And that it had less side effects that.And safer than Tamoxifen.

Gigil, so sorry your sister had to go through that horrendous time over her mammogram.That's terrible.That tech had no right to say anything until the radiologist read it.

Gemini, I've heard women say they had normal mammograms but found the cancer on the Breast MRI. Pretty scarey isn't it? Because most of us only get the mammograms.We should all be getting those MRIs.

Cindy, hope that LE gets better soon.Glad to hear your benefiting from exercise too.

Kate, sad to hear that leg is still very swollen.But glad to hear your going out with your friend this weekend.

Think of me this weekend since its cookie time and my MIL has our weekend planned for us snowstorm and freezing rain on the way starting tomorrow.Enough to cancel our office Christmas party.But only have to work a half day tomorrow anyway since they cancelled mid week.

Guess where my son's Doctors office moved to? Right across from my office.They took the back part of the office. It's his Phyciatrist so I really didn't mind I didn't see any of my co workers entering or leaving the office.

Goodnight all.

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2013

Gigil, the 3D mammogram is indeed digital, but the machine rotates around, taking pictures from different angles, producing a superior product.  As mammograms missed my cancer for at least two years, even with the help of the CAD program, I'm all for doing whatever there is to get better diagnostics.

Cindy, why 3D on one side only?  Was it more uncomfortable than the regular old fashioned way, or are they just restricting its use for now?

Josie, your workout sounds amazing.  Would have loved it years ago.  Way lazier now.

Kate, isn't it amazing how important our crowning glory is to our self image?  I'll bet your hair looks gorgeous,whether it's thin or thick.  I was talking with an old friend yesterday.  Her hair is white now, because she doesn't want to bother with keeping roots away.  Mine, on the other hand, is definitely not white.  I have to have it colored every three weeks because I absolutely loathe the look of white roots on my dark hair.  Makes me think of skunk.  Even worse, it makes me think others might also be thinking of skunk.

• katehudson25
    edited December 2013

Hi Brookside, Sisters think alike. I was born a blonde, and I am going to dye a blonde. Since I was so fair to begin with I only have to dye my hair every 6 weeks

• katehudson25
    edited December 2013

I had my appointment with the GI doctor today. It was so much less aggravating than I thought it would be. I didn't even need a rectal exam. She said my constipation probllems could be caused by the large bladder tumor. She thinks it is possible that when my tumor is removed my constipation problem could go away. If not she thinks my problem is caused by too little fiber. What she said to me made me feel so good. She said " I can tell that you are a fighter. I love your positive attitude, and that will serve you well". When I told her that doc said I will last until my granddaughter's graduation May 2015. She said I will last longer, and prove him wrong. I will kick this cancer in the butt.

• josie123
    edited December 2013

Kate, good for you.You are a fighter.You go girl!!!!

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2013

Great news, Kate.  Nothing wrong with adding a little fiber to your diet.  Did she have any specific ideas?

• gigil
    edited December 2013

Hi everyone. I skipped my husband's ER Christmas party tonight. It was a 3.5 hour drive one way for me, and I am just not up for making small talk. I think those things are more fun for those who work together every day - a chance to get together under less stressful circumstances. I find having a spouse along sometimes stifles the whole situation. I am not a social butterfly sadly, and he always has to make sure I am not left on my own. He will go, eat and enjoy good company He has to work at 5 a.m. in the morning, so I know he will be a good boy. Ha! Ha!

I am going to go out to Michaels and find the makings for home made snow globes, do some Christmas candy making and generally enjoy the night.

Brookside, I need to color my roots too. I had my hair colored several shades lighter brown some time ago, so the gray blends a little easier and I am still a brunette. Kate, I know you are beautiful, no matter what hairdo you have. You just sparkle and shine in your own way.

I'm getting into that Christmas spirit. Love it.

• katehudson25
    edited December 2013

Josie, Brookside, and Gigil thanks for the support. Brookside the GI Dr. gave me samples of metamucil and Allign Probiotics.

Going out with Dr. friend Tracy tonight, and I can't wait. She always makes me feel good. Thank God I am feeling well

• RunFree16
    edited December 2013

Update on my sister: her ultrasound on Wednesday on the less suspicious side looked good, so they didn't do a biopsy. Big relief. On Thursday, they did the MRI biopsy on the left, and she'll get those results early next week. She was flying on Valium & Vicodin so she tolerated the test fine. If the left is malignant, they'll watch the right more closely. It turns out the tech didn't actually say the left was definitely malignant--that was just my sister preparing herself for the worst, so thoroughly that she had me fooled that she had information. The doctor who did the biopsy said twice that it didn't look like cancer to her. Fingers crossed!

GiGiL, how awful for your sister! That tech should be spoken to. I'm so glad it turned out OK, but that's an awful thing to have to go through, especially with everything else that's going on.

Brookside, congrats on the clean tests! Big milestone!!! Why did you decide on the regular mammo this time rather than the 3D? Just curious. Good to know there's a choice.

GiGil, "loose ends" is a great way to put it. I'm sorry to hear that's still troubling you after two years. You're so right about birth order. It operates very powerfully in my family--there's apparently no escaping it.

Kate, I love what the GI doctor said to you! She obviously figured you out fast. It's so great that her optimism matches your own. Tough development with your hair. When I thought I might have to do chemo, one of my big worries was that after my hair fell out, it would come back in a different color. I'm a natural blond and that's very important to me. I bet you're having a great time with Tracy tonight!

Josie, I love that description of your exercise class! I've never really loved classes, but that one sounds great. I have been doing pretty well with exercise lately, thanks to the challenge I'm doing on Facebook. Everybody reports their running, walking, or cross-training (to runners, everything but running is just cross-training!) and it keeps us accountable. I had a great run on the treadmill yesterday, and tonight I bought some new running shoes online. They have Gore Tex so my feet won't get cold and wet on winter runs. Ordinarily I just run on my treadmill all winter, but I'm feeling inspired by all the runners who have logged outdoor miles in the last couple of freezing cold weeks. This is the first time I've bought shoes specifically for winter running. Anyway what sounds great about your class is having someone else push you. That would always make me work harder than I would on my own!

April, so sorry about your joint pain. I just read about a brand-new study that concluded exercise--150 minutes a week of cardio, plus 2 sessions of weightlifting per week--reduced joint pain in people taking Arimidex. Here's a link:

http://ecancer.org/news/4905-sabcs-2013--exercise-improves-drug-associated-joint-pain-in-breast-cancer-survivors.php

But when you're tired and busy, it's hard to make yourself do it.

Thank goodness for exercise, because I had an INSANE week, which is why I've been so quiet here. In addition to my sister's scare, and my post-cancer blues, and the end of the semester intensity, I had a suicidal student (he seemed a smidge more stable by the end of the week), a student whose young girlfriend just died of a rapid awful cancer, a student whose fiance went down in a military plane and she doesn't know where he is, and a couple of other student crises--AND a disturbed kid in my son's 8th grade class is threatening suicide unless my kid will be his best friend. My son has a big heart and this has really made him feel like he has this boy's life in his hands, but the boy is very intense and hard to take, aggressive and impulsive and really not fun to be with. Many meetings and long talks and action plans. Holy moly! And now I'm getting a cold, sinus pressure and headache. Thanks for letting me vent.

• RunFree16
    edited December 2013

Whoa, that got long! Sorry about that.

But I want to add this--GiGiL, I have a Fitbit. I got it for my birthday about 16 months ago and I wear it every single day. I mainly use it as a pedometer, but I also climb a lot of hills and stairs at work so I like how it keeps track of them too. I don't use the sleep function anymore. I got one for my husband last spring and he used it a lot this summer, and we got a little competitive with our steps, using the website. Mine is the Fitbit Ultra, but they don't make that one anymore and my husband's is the Fitbit One. I actually like the design of the Ultra a little better. About a week ago, I lost my Fitbit, and I was really bummed. I was about to order a new Fitbit One after a few days but then mine was returned! So glad to have it back. It's like a little friend.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2013

Whew...it was a crazy week following my schedule and overtime PLUS my chair's complete class schedule. On Friday I relaxed and then in the afternoon, I felt congested and ears clogged and glands hurting...go figure....it's the week end.

I had a little trouble sleeping but got up Saturday AM and decided to not be sick. I baked all day as we had house party with DH's colleagues. I looked at my roots and the snow and knew I couldn't make it to my hair guy to get it done. So I sent DH to get me an emergency touch up kit. It darkened my hair and my roots still show - they are just more golden LOL...I wonder if anyone but me would really have noticed. The party was great - nice people and lots of laughter. I know I'm a little under the weather, but not so bad as I thought. When my ears clog, my tinnitus "sounds" louder.

Kate, hope you are having a good time. I love that others see your positive kick butt attitude. I know it is hard to maintain but you are doing it. My hair is definitely thinning from AI drugs. It is upsetting some days to see how much falls out.

About feeling down...I have been on a carbs/sugar roller coaster since my travels in July and September. I gained back about 8 lbs. and it shows. I don't sleep enough...so all of the encouraging thoughts and articles about eating right and exercising are speaking to me. I need to do what I can to feel better. I slipped off my Femara for about 5 days. When I started it again, the symptoms slammed me. Now there's a reason not to miss a pill.

Brookside, happy dancing here for your mammo being done. It is emotional....

Run & Gigi, glad to hear that your sisters are most likely to have escaped the BC dx. Run, keep us posted. I do not have a sister, but it must be quite emotional to watch it happening to one you care so much about.

Cindy you are right - just a few more days and my schedule relaxes. I still have to go in but nobody around.

Run, what a week you've had...then toss in the sadness of the CO shooting and the CT anniversary....there are so many young people distressed. I am glad that you will address the issue with your son. He must realize that he is not responsible for the other boy's well being.

Josie, I am quite impressed with your decision to exercise. I hope I get the inspiration that I had in the summer.

DD#2 called me tonight just to talk...she was driving down her snow-covered street on the way home from sledding when she came upon a 5 car accident and no police. She stopped and left her kids in the car and saw people in distress and in shock, doing the wrong things like trying to drag others out of cars...help was on the way and another man told her to go home and spare her children this awful memory. She just had to tell me....I was in a hurry to go out but I had to listen...

We are trying to negotiate the logistics of the holidays...I will have all the boys at my house....which should be fun. DSs from SFO and CHI will arrive. My grandson from NYC will come. I have to get 2 more guestrooms ready. DD wants me to come on Christmas but my boys do not really want to travel and neither do I. But I will do all I can to make sure no one is alone. I wouldn't want to be. DD in Boston will come the day after...which is more relaxing I think.

Hi Janis, April, gemini, SAB, Sew, others "old" and "new"....have a safe and happy week in spite of the world's problems. For those celebrating this wonderful season, enjoy the preparations and family time.

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2013

Gosh, RunFree, do you sometimes feel they're all out to get you?  We all know the holiday season can be stressful, but Holy Cow! Disaster to the left, disaster to the right.  All those poor kids (especially your son who does not deserve to be part of that other boy's issues).  Are you tempted to just crawl under the covers and not peek out? 

At least your sister seems to be about to receive very good news.  And you have those new running shoes to replace all that bad stuff with a runner's high.

The real reason I didn't have the 3D mammo was I am not good at change.  Actually, I avoid change like the plague.  I'd assumed  I'd been scheduled for the regular mammo.  Nobody talked about the 3D option.  A very nice person brought me to the changing room.  When my robe and I proceeded to wait in the lounge, I noticed a sign  on the coffee table that indicated that you could just ask for a 3D.  There were also brochures, which I read.  For me, I just need more than a few minutes to change direction, and I just assumed (Rightly?  Wrongly?) the MRI would be more accurate.

Joan, you've done an amazing job of corralling all your kids for Christmas.  I don't think any of mine will be together, although I get to see one on Long Island on Christmas Eve, and one in Connecticut for Christmas. 

• april485
    edited December 2013

Brookside, So glad all your tests went well and as for the 3-D mammo, I have had them twice. They are the same in terms of the amount of radiation, but you do have to have a couple more views? Something to that effect. Anyway, it gave me a bit more piece of mind in terms of how much they can see with this. I don't have to request them. Yale is pretty much using them and you have to request a "regular" if you want it I think.

To all of the rest of you, hugs and hoping that the holidays are not too stressful and Kate, you are most definitely a spunky warrior type. You are going to be around a loooong time with the way you are handling all of this. I just know it!

Talk later. Have soo much to do today and can't seem to get going but I have to! We had about 8-10 inches of snow last night and yesterday and we have to get out and do the driveway and walkway and front stoop.

• josie123
    edited December 2013

RunFree, boy when it rains it pours!! You had quite a week.I'm sorry that your son has been put in such a position.He shouldn't feel responsible for that boy.I'm not sure what I would do in that situation.I'm glad your sister got good reports so far on the one breast.I really respect you for running.That is one thing I am not good at nor enjoy.But good for you.I hope this week is a little better.BTW I would love a fit bit for Christmas.Maybe you could drop my hubby a hint!! Glad to hear you got some good shoes for the winter.

Joan, sounds like you have been busy too as usual.House party too ?wow.

I've also had sinus problems and trouble sleeping.Well I missed my pill yeste, rday and slept like a baby last night finally.I guess it's time to sit down with that MO and find out what other options I have.Because I can't deal with the sleep issues.I mean it's like I can't fall asleep for like an hour or so then dream like crazy and then I just wake up out of the blue like I'm sleeping too lightly. My eye problems were fine yesterday w/o My Tamoxofin.Interesting huh?

April, we got about 5 inches yesterday.Let's go play in the snow.

• RunFree16
    edited December 2013

Brookside, yes, it was a get-back-in-bed kind of week! I feel so badly for these young people whose problems are so huge. I was a mess for such a long time, didn't really know if I would fit into the world well, find someone stable to love, find work I could get paid for and really enjoy. All of those questions are still ahead of them. The one whose girlfriend died especially touched me because my brother lost his fiance when he was young, and he's really never been the same though that was nearly 24 years ago. Of course I didn't tell my student that part. And I've never been so concerned about a student hurting themselves as I was with the one who walked into my office on Monday, post-verbal, ashen, and just swaying, with tears running down his cheeks. Yikes.

I'm glad to have the heads-up about the 3D mammo. I'm not good at snap changes either, or really most any change. But if presented with the same choice, I'll probably go for the 3D since I know it's coming. Thank you! I think my sister's case shows the problem with using MRIs for routine screening, absent of any knowledge of suspicious areas. There are so many false positives, and that means a biopsy and a lot of fear and worry. We are holding our breath waiting for her results to come back.

Joan, I have to say, it looks to me as though you are being mistreated. I don't know whether you're on a year contract or a per-duty semester contract, but I would NEVER ask an adjunct to cover for me, and for a whole week???!!! If I had to because only the adjunct knew the material, I would do something like offer to cover the same number of classes for her. Your chair should at least give you a very nice bottle of wine! That's a really upsetting story about your daughter. She did right to stop and the guy did right to help her spare the kids. So great that you are going to see your kids and grandkids from points east and west. It's a schlep for them but worth it. Yes, my son is great about realizing this other kid's problems are not his problems, but the suicide threat made it hard for him to step away. We've got a good team on it now.

April, I meant to reply to your post earlier--like you I have occasional aches and itches directly in my breast, but my new pain is in the muscles going all the way down my rib cage beneath it. I see my MO this week and will probably get a PT referral. We're getting this storm too. We were forecast for 10"-14" and I think we've hit about 10" so far, and it's still snowing. You must be getting a dump as well, Brookside.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2013

Hello lovely ladies! I'm just checking in. I did skim through, but I don't have tons of time so I have to drop off my hugs in a big pile and you guys will have to help yourself Winking. I'm struck by how strong everyone is, dealing with their issues and moving forward…working to make their lives healthier and happier. I have had two years of healthy living, and it has made a world of difference. I had a falling off of healthy eating this holiday season, but ready to recommit, starting right now this minute. For me the biggest challenge (other than swimming in holiday treats everywhere I go) is learning to eat healthily at work. Bought a handful of bagged salads this weekend (not organic, but better than no salad) to bring to work this week. We'll see how that goes.

Finished moving my office (again) last week. The fifth time I've relocated in the last three months due to remodels, etc. Very happy to be in my final space. Had an ergonomic assessment Friday. So interesting! Assessor claims it will ease my joint pain.

That's all for now. I'm out here skimming and sending my very best thoughts as often as I can. Have a lovely week everyone!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited December 2013

Hi y'all

Wow, the joys and stresses of the holidays...

GiGil - priorities and self care...skipping the party to give your best elsewhere makes sense...enjoy the crafts, FitBit counting miles, sister & GKs. When are you packing for FL? Ho ho I would ship a box...or buy new resort outfits in FL...retail therapy :)

RunFree - fingers&toes crossed for your sisters results. Ugh, the overload on campus, we had a counselor that we could take employee to see immediately. Thankful that you are able to help your son understand he is not responsible for another's feelings/actions such an unfair burden especially to lay on another:( great that he is open with you:)

Kate - yes, princess warrior a looong time:). Hope you had a great time out last night...weather is beautiful today...SoCal sunshine blue skies:)

April - aches pains can't believe your MO will not select another devil to try...ugh:( snow blowing time.

Joan - Christmas Break...sons coming home to nest....yippee! DD wise not to stay and help...difficult for all to see. Skunk hair ha ha...I keep 2 extra color repair kits under my sink...once I took the color out to soon...ugh one inch strip of orange hair...not obe man at work said a thing...not one stared during meetings...hubby arranged for an emergency hair appt on my way home whew carrot top ugh:(

Brookside - cross country skis Long Island to CT...no snow please.

Josie - snow play time...maybe the snow Angie's will use their wings to clear the driveway and porch:) take a pic of FitBit and pistol everywhere...even in DH wallet! Hope ds dr cross the hall is not too awkward but a convence. Ugh, tami SEs hope you can work it out...sounds like my late 40s 'change' hot flashes interrupted sleep, moods,...hum HT does it again. Yeah, Livestrong program for c survivors :D

Gemini - yes, 3D is the way to go :) I'm good with every 6 mo mammo/MRI...just give me thumbs up:)

Bunkie - enjoy your new friendly home! Thankful for good friends:)

Well, this week is major dr appt crush and tests for hubby...praying for all good! He may need infusions for badder issues ugh. Heart, ears, derm, endo, urologist, PCP...plus labs&mri somehow I feel stronger when it's him...:) working on courtyard landscape&baseboards this week...and a stroll thru RV show...ha just give me a boat to sail away...:)))

Shout out to all

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2013

Hi to all

I have been silent but not hibernating- I was at a meeting in the city then flew to Miami to meet my husband- we are enjoying a post-radiation/pre-christmas break. Its so nice down here but I feel bad saying so with all the snow and weather for the rest of the US.

Kate- I think surgery on a thursday is just fine and so is being the 2nd case of the day not the first (assuming that based on robotic operative times) Monday is kind of an interesting OR day since most places are closed or doing emergencies only on the weekends its like a ramp-up day. Thursday things are in full motion and the week is well underway.

runfree- wow- what a huge responsibility for these kids and their emotional issues. This time of year is a tough one all sorts of things "bubble up"

cindy- hope your LE gets under control. I have been reading quite a bit about this myself and just started doing self- massage. I was a big yoga practitioner before surgery but have eased back in quite gradually as I don't want to "shock" my lymphatic system when supporting my weight with my arms.The classes at the cancer support community are much better for this but here in Miami I am balancing gentle/stretchy with more active we shall see- a little spongy under the axilla and rare tingles down the arm so watching closely and will get a referral if self-massage has no effect.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited December 2013

Hi all - Just stopping in to say hello. I am still fighting the blues but that will pass. We got 10 inches of snow yesterday and last night. My handyman has been cleaning up for me and though costly it has to be done. He never uses my expensive snowblower I got 3 years ago so I am going to sell it. Have to admit it is very pretty...today. I grow tired of it fast and that is why by Feb I am going crazy. I am cooking today. Just a roast and some collard greens with potatoes. I love to cook but do not do it enough. No fun for just 1 person ...especially when I am a deli fan. I do not know what rads did to my tush but I am missing some padding back there and it ain't pretty. It did not slide down it just vanished. All my jeans are now too baggy in the butt. Guess I will have to get a false butt...just kidding. Maybe a different brand of jeans. I do a lot of Eddie Bauer. Maybe I need to switch to Gap or go back to Coldwater Creek. Any ideas?

Gigil - Do not blame you for not making that trip. I agree with you about the people who work together getting the most out of a party. I was a social butterfly but can not seem to fit that type anymore. Too many people now make me dizzy and my brainfog is horrible. People come up to me that I knew and I can not remember their names. Ugh. When do you leave for Florida?

Kate - That is such good news you got from your dr. I bet you will be around a long time. Poo on what that other dr said. We all here know you are a tuff cookie. I know your hair looks great no matter what because you are a very pretyy woman. I stopped coloring mine with rads because the stuff made me itch but I may try a different type for gray. I am getting very gray.

wyo - I hope you have a great time in Miami. I really like it there. Especially the cuban food. Yum.

Cindy - Hope it all goes well for your hubby. It has been a long year for you two. I love those Rv shows. There are some really nice ones that they have. Sometimes I think it would be nice to sell the house and get one and live on the road for a couple years. Just see the country. Never know.

Sab - I have fallen off the wagon too and I can't get up. Too much bread, carbs and sweets. My secret mission was to gain some weight but no luck. I am still vapor skinny and hate it. My gastro Dr said I am at a healthy weight and my BMI is great. I look in the mirror and see a toothpic. Does not seem to change if I eat good or bad. I even ordered some GF cookies from that place in the Hamptons (Tates Bake shop) and can not stop eating them.

Runfree - I am happy to hear you are not itching as much? I think I read that. Sorry to hear about your sisters ordeal but hopefully it will be ok. She sounds like she has a ton of anxiety. I can relate. Off the charts lately.

Josie - I have a sleeping problem too. I pass out at 10pm like I ran a marathon and then wake up at 4 like it is sunny out. 4am are you kidding me? I have problems with darkness and fall into everything till I get straight. I used to take sleeping pills but they made me wander all night. Not good.

Brookside - another big dizzy spell yesterday. OMg I thought I was spinning. Spent the day in bed. Took a valium and it did nothing then I was too scared to try anything else. Going back to U of Mi and get tested one more time this spring with a brain MRI. Something has to give.

Joan - Glad you had fun at the party. Wish I liked baking as much as I love cooking. I needed to learn how to make a pie crust...one day. My mom passed away before she could teach me and she was the best baker.

I hope I did not forget anyone but I am so behind on these posts thought I would just give a shout out to everyone. Have a great Sunday.

Bunkie