Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited January 2014

Kate,I'm sorry your still in pain.We were all so worried.I thought you were in the ER.

BUNKIE, I'm sorry your not feeling well either thanks to the prednisone.

RunFree, happy anniversary Good for you.

I got about her surprise meeting today.I thought this was going to be it for me but no, just more things they wanted to correct me on.And now they are willing to let me come in on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 2 hours if I need to precert my patients so I can be at least 2 days ahead.I guess that's good news.My nerves are pretty much shot tonight.They fired a woman on Wednsday and I just thought maybe it was going to be me next.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited January 2014

Josie, if they fire you, you might be able to put in for unemployment and they might not contest it.  Still it wouldn't be very much money, and you'd be a bit worse off in looking for another job--except maybe you'd be less stressed out!  I'm not saying I'm wishing for you to be fired, but only that it might be better than quitting before finding something else.  Anyway you have to do what you have to do, and we will support you!  I guess it's good that they are "letting" you go to work a bit more.  Shoot, what a roller coaster for you!

• josie123
    edited January 2014

RunFree, I know It really is stressful. I was so nervous I wasn't sure if I was going to throw up or pee my pants.Just kidding I really don't go around wetting myself.But it was pretty ridiculous.And then the way they reel me in.My manager will come to my office and say" JoAnn I need to talk to you, come to my office when your ready" Then when I get to her office the office manager is ready in her office and then they ask me to go into her office.Why not just come right out and say "JoAnn Stella and I would like to talk to you let's meet in her office" Wouldn't that make more sense.Kind of like the last meeting.It was called by my manager and she said that we would meet with someone in billing to speak about coding and then all the sudden their is 4 people starring me down in a empty Drs office

Of course the one person I didn't want to see was my office manager.

It makes me wonder what their up to.Why be so sneaky?

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited January 2014

Hi everyone from chilly Florida.  DH and I arrived last Saturday.  Since then we have moved into the apartment, shopped 4 days in a row, gotten internet all connected, and we are in business.  The apartment is almost all furnished, and electronics are ordered and enough is set up for us to be online and we are watching television.  My car has arrived also.  The new place is starting to feel like home.  Tomorrow is my husband's birthday.  Time to take a day off.

I am very worried about you, Kate.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  I hope your medical team has jumped into gear and are working to give you some relief.

Bunkie, sorry you have been so miserable.  I swear by Qigong.  It is all upright, slow, gentle and you can do it until you are 100.  It balances your energy and actually helps vertigo, helps you self heal and build muscle.  If you can't find a group, get the beginners DVD by Daisy Lee and Gari Garipoli.  I use it all of the time, and it works wonders for fibromyalgia.

Josie, here's hoping you find a new job soon and can just walk away.  Cindy, your posts make me giggle.  Run, good for you on the marathon. They are having one down here in Celebration Sunday - 2000 participants.   Hi to Joan, SAB,  SEW, Brookside, Wyo, New2bc, and all of you other wonderful ladies.  

Gotta say good night.  My eyes are closing.  I will check back soon to see how things are going for Kate.  Love, GiGi

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited January 2014

Runfree, Josie, and Gigil thanks for the support.

Josie, I wish you could win the lottery and tell these people to take a flying leap.I hate that they think they can do anything they want to you, because you need to help your family financially.

Gigil I am so glad your new Florida home is taking shape. Happy B-Day to your DH.

I saw doc today, and OMG he was in a terrible mood. He had dark circles under his eyes, so I guess he was stressed about being overworked.He was furious that I needed another Ativan and Oxycodone prescription. With Ativan he wrote the script for 7 pills and said never again. He acted like I am a junkie. He was more generous with Oxycodone and gave me 30 pills. He said I could take 10 mg three times a day. I am in a lot of abdominal pain, and he thinks the surgery will take away the pain.

I had very GOOD news at Doc's. It took me by surprise. He said that if surgery takes away my abdominal pain I won't have to do chemo. YEAH!. He said he is trying to find a clinical trial for me for immune therapy that doesn't have a 3-5 year post  breast cancer clause.God I pray the surgery takes away the pain. OMG I don't want to have to do chemo. That would mean I can  keep the hair on my head that is growing back, and I wouldn't have the other God awful side effects.

On one hand I am a little scared about the surgery. On the other hand I can't wait to get this ugly 6 cm tumor out of my body.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2014

Hi Gigi, Welcome back snowbird Smile
    Josie, I hope they will pay you for the extra hours you need to get those certifications done.  I just wonder why they don't hire a part time clerk to just do those.  That must have been a scare...such intimidation tactics they use...sounds like they want you to be grateful and compliant under their harrassment tactics.  Take your time and keep looking discreetly.
    Kate it sounds like your doc was stressed and was not using his best bedside manner when talking to you about the Ativan.  Hang in there and think about being pain-free soon.  i hope a clinical trial is found that would address your situation.  It's complicated, but one step at a time is what we get. 

I only slept about 4.5 hours due to congestion - still having sinus issues and trying not to drug.  I had 2 days of "normal" then it came back and I am hoping that is due to the lingering cold symptoms.  I will put the ENT visit on the list.
    I awoke to howling winds...just a few flurries up to 2" today on top of our drifts.  Nothing's melting.  It should approach freezing today then plunge back down to the Arctic air.
    My fear was that there would be a fuel shortage, and now today there is a blurb on CNN about propane going from under $3.00 to $5.00 per gallon (imagine filling your 1000 gallon tank which runs everything in the home).
    Apparently part of the shortage is due to exports.  

Stay warm...

• RunFree16
    edited January 2014

Joan, at our last Vermont house we had propane, and the cost just wiped us out!  It does burn cleaner than oil, so the planet thanks you.  Not that oil is cheap--we pay $285 a month year round on our "budget" plan.  I hope you feel better soon.  Plain old congestion can just make everything crummy.

GiGiL, so good to hear from you, and boy do you deserve a day off!  Happy Birthday to your husband.  I hope it's a lovely day.  For the record, I'm running a half-marathon (13.1 miles), not a full marathon (26.2 miles).  You probably knew that but I don't want to be given too much credit!  I'm going to look into Qigong too.  

Kate, that is fantastic news from your doc!  I'm rooting for NO CHEMO and a good immune therapy clinical trial.  Sorry he was in such a state, and made you feel bad about Ativan.  My mom's doctor OKs her taking Ativan every single night and isn't troubled by that, because what the Ativan is doing for her is more important.  She doesn't take it quite that often, but she could.  I don't wonder you're scared of the surgery, but it will feel great to get rid of that freeloading tumor.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited January 2014

RunFree - Thanks. It looks bad outside but it is nice and warm inside. I hate to admit when a Dr is right but I feel much better this morning. The 10mgs was hard to take yesterday because that is double my dose but I see where he is going. Today I brought myself down to 8mgs. He said I could do that if the 10 was too hard. I have more energy so far and I am not shaking and spinning like I was yesterday. It tells me that my adrenals really are non functioning and I do indeed had Addisons disease. Oh well another hurdle. Just have to adjust and get past the biggest problem....my mind. I have been on such a crash course of getting off steroids not really knowing I can't. Got it now we can find a dose that can give me some quality of life back.

• josie123
    edited January 2014

Kate, you got some good news from that tired crabby doc.Good for you.Your right sometimes these doc's treat you like your a drug seeker if you ask for too much pain meds.That angers me.Because that certainly isn't the case for you.Here's hoping you don't have chemo.We will all be with you in spirit on Thursday.

Thanks for the kind thoughts for me and my situation Kate.That was always a dream of mine to get rich from the lottery and tell them to take a flying leap.I probably won't get that lucky.

GIGIL, so glad you got settled in in Florida.Happy Birthday to your hubby.

Joan, get some rest sweetly.And yes, they will pay me for the extra 4 hrs a week but I have to make sure not to go over8 hrs on the other days.

RunFree, good luck on the marathon.13.5 miles is way more than I could run or walk.Good for you.My sister who lives up east in Connecticut uses some kind of fireplace heater that burns wood but has some kind of fans built in that warm the room.Yet it doesn't make your house smell like firewood.At least I think that's how they work.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited January 2014

Josie, this is such good news!  They seem to have realized that you

Josie, this is such good news! Your alien robot managers seem to have recognized the limits of human function, and you will have a bit more income as well.  While it is sad that someone had to leave, It sounds as though maybe you are benefitting from the newly available cash flow.  I can’t help but wonder if she was subjected to the same managerial “assistance” as you?

So nice, Gigi, that you’re all settled in Florida.  Wish I were there with you, and without my seventeen layers of Vermont clothing.  Well, without most of them, anyway.

How miserable that your sinus won’t let you sleep, Joan.  Here’s hoping you have a really restful weekend and bounce right back to your normal energizer bunny self.

Speaking of energizer bunnies, wow, RunFree.  A Half Marathon?  Yes, initial caps are deserved.  Perhaps boldface as well.  I usually walk about 1.1 miles/day.  Happy running!

• katehudson25
    edited January 2014

Joan, Runfree and Josie thanks for the support

Joan sorry about your congestion, lack of sleep, and your weather

Bunkie I hope you get your steroids dosage adjusted soon, and that you feel better soon

• josie123
    edited January 2014

Brookside, yes I guess it's good news but I'm still going to get out of there as soon as I can. They also just hired a new nurse ,she just graduated and passed her boards.Yet the last nurse had to quiet because she couldn't support her girls since they cut her hours and she was newly widowed.

It's all about office politics around there.And if your willing to be in the clique that includes the managers then your safe.I was never included in that clique nor would I have wanted to be.But there are some that aren't in the clique but are just office spies that you can't say anything around because it gets back to the boss.Is every office this petty and childish? 

• joan811
    edited January 2014

Josie, most every office has its inner circle and politics.  
    Friday there was a flurry of emails from the "guys" (5 guys and my boss who played cards every friday night for years).  They were gushing over their accumulated accomplishments especially one person who is a self-promoter  These guys work half the hours I do for more pay.  I have to realize some things are not my fault and I should not personalize the situation.  All I've done is be the best possible instructor and actually help change students' lives by giving them the tools to pass and graduate. And I am continuously asked to cover their classes so they can go be important or on vacation.  (Oh, and I co-wrote and published a lab book just after surgery and during rads.  And proposed a new course.  And attended numerous conferences and travel courses.)   Oh sorry, I did not write that stuff to self-promote Shocked -- just to remind myself that I am doing OK.  And happier for it.  Smile
    And to bring this back to Josie, sometimes it does not matter what you do at all...so please just keep doing the best patient care and know that is the ultimate success in your position. 

Thanks for the good wishes.  I managed to get back to sleep from 8:30 am to noon.  Wow.  And my congestion is breaking a bit.  This makes me feel better.
    It was snowing again last time I looked.  It's already dinner time...DH and I may find a movie to watch.  We can't go to a theater because of his constant cough and my head clearing.  Ugh...house bound.  I actuallly like it.

• joan811
    edited January 2014

Gigi, one of the sisters on another thread goes to FL each winter and posts from there...she just arrived this month and her DH spontaneously went looking at houses. Oops, suddenly they are homeowners.  So keep a watch on DH...
    Hope the birthday celebration goes on and on!

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2014

Office politics can happen anywhere, in one form or another.  Where you're lucky (believe it or not) is your organizational issues are upfront and pretty durned obvious..  Better than backstabbing and rivalry happening in the shadows, no?.  To tell the truth, it seems you've achieved a bit of a victory, Josie.  Kindly rejoice, but don't let it slow down your search for a new job.

Bunkie, it sounds as though this new doc is just the right one for you.  Even when you talk about taking your hated steroids, you sound happy, with his assessment of your condition.  It's good to "hear" you sound so "up." 

• katehudson25
    edited January 2014

I am high as a kite on Oxycodone and feeling good. Doc emailed this afternoon and apologized. That made me feel so good. When I am ill and in pain I think about him, and think he will make me feel better, and he always does. His office is across the street from the hospital ( but not the hospital he goes to. He is with UCLA and my surgery is at St. Johns) so I am hoping he will come and visit me. Too bad he is married, and to an endocronologist no less, with 2 small children, and much younger than I am, because I have a major crush on him. I think he looks a little like Brad Cooper.

5 more days and I will have this ugly tumor out of my body Wahoo!

• joan811
    edited January 2014

Uh oh, tipsy Kate speaks out from her heart LOL - glad you are coping OK.  Nice to get a more calming email.  Please be careful about emails while in your present state....you don't want to say anything you don't want the world to read!    Of course, you can say anything here.   Do you have pre-op appointments?

Bunkie, drugs have a purpose and now that you know your adrenals aren't going to kick in at this time, be glad you can regroup and stay on the lower dose of steroids that you worked hard for.  I hope you continue to regain strength and health.

I had a better day but nights are the worst time.  Hot shower, compresses, a good book, and drifting off to sleep ...all up next!

• katehudson25
    edited January 2014

Joan thanks for the support. My pre-ops are done. Tomorrow I am going to chill and get some errands done. Monday night I am going to see August Osage County with Tracy and out for dinner. Tuesday i am getting my hair colored and cut. Wed. just chilling, packing and getting ready for surgery. You wouldn't believe how much I am going to pack. I want a different nightgown or P'j's for every day I am there. So then I want to match them with tees and velour hoodies. They keep the hospital ice cold. My support group has it planned out so that I have a visitor at least everyday.

Now that I don't have to rush into chemo I am going to postpone my Chicago trip just a little. Tomorrow I am going to ask my kids if me coming there April 30 is good. I think by then my hair will be filled in enough that if I put in extensions I won't have to go there in a wig. That would make me feel better. The most important thing is will the surgery take away the abdominal pain. If it doesn't I would have to do chemo. I am hopeful surgery will take away the pain.

I so much wish you guys could come to Santa Monica so i could meet you. If I won the lottery i would pay for your trips. I can't begin to tell you how much your support has meant to me. I need to tell you that i am very sorry that I have been so needy monopolizing the boards.

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2014

Kate, you'll clearly be the most gorgeous and glamorous patient in that hospital.   Those velour tops sound so soft.  I've always brought a fleece or a sweater, but velour sounds so much more soothing, and soothing is what's called for.  Velour would feel good at home too--guess I'll have to go shopping.  How tees and nightgowns go together, however is a bit of a mystery.  Maybe you could expand? 

Sometimes (bath time, for instance), you might find a nightgown a bit confining.  My daughter-in-law really rocked a hospital gown by simply turning the thing upside down, tucking and styling the formerly shapeless sack until it looked like she wore a strapless gown.  A snazzy necklace and the Vogue photographers will be banging at your door.   Your support group sounds awesome, by the way.  How wonderful that they will be right there with you through the whole experience. 

• josie123
    edited January 2014

Brookside, yes I guess I have somewhat achieved a victory.But I definitely will be finding a new job soon.I will be following up on the lady I sent my resume to on Thursday.This is how quickly things get around at my office,Friday evening my friend who used to work there (the insurance lady who they harassed until she finally quiet)  Well she called me.She wanted to know if I was ok because whoever was left in the office that evening must have said something to her that they were worried that I was in there office again.They meet for drinks with her sometimes even though she doesn't work there anymore..We probably talked for a good hour.

Joan, Thanks for the encouragement and I'm glad you got some sleep.

Kate, glad to hear your feeling no pain and that that doc apologized.That doesn't happen to often so I'm happy for you.

Last night I was up late with my DD.We were cleaning out my old dresser that was in my room holding papers from each child since they were  little.And lots of old bills etc... Just paper clutter.Her hamsters are fighting so in order to separate them We have to have something to put the cage on.Her dresser is in her closet so this was my idea.Before I knew it it was midnight.I was so tired but I did not want those hamsters on my kitchen table for 1 more minute.We got it done but the move made my room pretty messy .I guess I will work on it today.I really am going to turn over a new leaf.I'm not saving any more bills.Just paycheck stubs ,and bank statements important thing like that.I will be shredding a lot for a while.

• joan811
    edited January 2014

Josie, I am glad you have support from a former colleague.  Just be really careful what you say and to whom at this point...Job searches are always tricky.  I know about getting into those old papers and not wanting to finish...the big thing is to want to get rid of them.
    This morning I was getting into the kitchen cabinets and made some progress but I unearthed a lot of stuff that's not going back in there.  Find a place or toss...that's what I'll do next.
    I haven't been out of the house since Friday...and that's OK with me.  Tomorrow morning is soon enough.
    Classes start and that's always fun but I'll be gone from 7 am until 8:30 pm. 

Run, I meant to mention that I only use propane for my oven and clothes dryer and it lasts a long time.  We will need oil this week and I have a feeling the price is up. 

DD went to NJ this week end...her first trip back since they moved on Labor Day.  Nice pix on FB and I was happy to see them reuniting with old friends.  They moved into their permanent house so they have something fun to go back to.  I wish she could open up an office back in NJ with her new job.  With what she does location doesn't matter.  I can dream....

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2014

Interesting propane came up here.  Got a call yesterday am at 0730 from our propane company- we have a delivery scheduled and they wanted us to know prices have skyrocketed over the past 3-4 weeks and did we still want delivery and how much.  Amazing actually I thought that was great customer service and no surprised with a huge bill.  Fortunately we have been away a lot and have plenty in the tank so can hold off and see if prices stabilize. 

• katehudson25
    edited January 2014

Brookside and Josie thanks for the support

Brookside, Velour hoodies for nightgowns. I am also bringing P. J. bottoms, so tees and velour hoodies for those. No hopsital gown for me. At this hospital the color of the hospital gown is a disgusting shade of green. If you weren't sick already the hospital gown would make you look sickly green.The other times I have been in the hospital i am amazed that the other patients wore hospital gowns. I seem to be the only one getting dolled up.

Speaking about fashion I am watching the Grammy red carpet show. There is someone I never heard of before Kasey Misgrable who was wearing a pink Armani that I would kill for. I am torn between 2 shows I want to see tonight, the Grammy's and Sean and kathryn's wedding on the bachelor

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited January 2014

Kate - our glamour queen!   Just a thought...if you have a foley bag you may need shorts...there's a bit of activity after surgery...irrigating the line...so a slight wardrobe adjustment...lip gloss a must! Keeping fingers&toes crossed for surgery!  You will rock!

Road trip to TX wore me out:( have so much to do we moved in and left boxes everywhere 2 dats later...so now each box is Christmas...need coffee maker, toaster, blender. Excited my niece gave birth today to her 2nd child...now 2 girls precious:) hope my ds&dil get the idea...

Enough unpacking boxes gonna catch the rest of Grammys and thread,...up all night to get lucky...lol:)

(((Hugs))) to all!

Cindy

• katehudson25
    edited January 2014

Cindy congrats on your Niece's birthday. When I was in the hospital for a turbt I got to weat P. J's with my catheter.

My favorite dress at the Grammys was Taylor Swift's. I need to ask her if I can borrow it to wear to the Academy Award's with my date brad Cooper

• katehudson25
    edited January 2014

typo wear and not wheat

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2014

Ohio State University. "Yoga can lower fatigue, inflammation in breast cancer survivors." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 27 January 2014. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140127164408.htm>.

Promising study linking moderate yoga practice with improved energy levels after breast cancer and treatment.

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2014

I'd think yoga, tai chi, qi gong, meditation, prayer, exercise, dance, all of these would be helpful.  Years ago, I had a shrink who believed all ills are caused by stress, and all of the above are good stress management activities, as well as rewarding in their own. right.  For about five years, I've been planning to get back to meditation and,or tai chi.  Still planning.  Wonder why it's so difficult?  Maybe I love my stress too much?

• katehudson25
    edited January 2014

I am high as a kite again today on Oxycodone. Yesterday I had fun doing some retail therapy. I bought two nightgowns at Macy's in my favorite colors teal and pink. Then I went to Pink's and saw this darling sequinned hoodie jacket that they wanted $200 for at Xmas, and yesterday I got it for $50. I am going to rock it in the hospital, and wear it over a nightgown.

Today I am wearing my wig for the first time. I have been self conscious about it. The lady who cleans for me, Maria, thought it looked good, and she said I would be the only one who knows that the color is too ash.The style is perfect for me. It almost looks like my hair style in the photos I've posted, but I have more yellow in my hair, and this has more ash.I am definitely going to rock in it at surgery Thursday. 

I am one tough cookie, and I will do well at surgery Tursday, and kick cancer square in the butt

Bunkie I hope you are feeling better. I know if you were here we could walk Venice beach, do retail therapy, have dinner, and you would be feeling so much better.

• RunFree16
    edited January 2014

Kate what a great deal on that hoodie!  I LOVE getting a great price on something I wanted anyway!  No, Taylor Swift can not borrow your hoody when you borrow her dress for your date with Brad Cooper.  I bet your wig looks great too.  You are going to be the cutest AND toughest princess in the hospital on Thursday!