Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited January 2014

Well, today you shopped, Kate, so tomorrow, I'll bet, is a beauty day.  And of course, packing the trunk with all your wardrobe changes.  Will you pack the princess warrior coat, or just sashay into admission rocking it?  What time is your surgery on Thursday?  And what time do you need to be at the hospital?  We're all rooting for the easiest, best-est, glamourous-est, hospitalization anyone ever had.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited January 2014

Kate, good luck with your surgery girl.  You are in my thoughts and prayers and we will be in the pockets of that sequined hoodie so look for us there.  We will try to keep quiet and let you rest up a bit before the party starts.  Do you know the time of your surgery?  I just know it is going to be such a relief to you to get that darned tumor taken away.  Bye Bye Mr. Ugly!

Brookside, since I have been down here, I have put at least two miles on my Fitbit daily.  I was almost a couch potato when I left my place in Minnesota, except I have four flights of stairs that I climb on a regular basis.  The sun is so helpful in keeping up the mood.  I hope I can do this every winter from now on.  It has got to promote health.  

Joan, are those sinuses clearing yet?  My husband had a virus over Thanksgiving and he has been coughing ever since.  His cough has improved since he has been down here, but it always resurfaces in the evening.  We think it is when his allergy meds wear off.  I don't know what could be triggering his allergies in the winter.  House dust maybe?  He seems able to function quite well until he's weakened in any way by a virus.  

Run a half marathon impresses the heck out of me.  I could have never dreamed of doing  distance like that, even when I was young and strong and running every day.  It is admirable.

Bunkie, how are you doing?  Is the prednisone making you feel stronger and more able to move about?  I surely do hope so.

Josie, it sounds like you are gaining quiet victories there on the job.  Keep looking for that new job, so you can be in a position of strength when you interview and when you decide to leave.

Cindy, are you still unpacking boxes and finding what you need?  Every day I find something else I need and I always have a shopping list.  At least we have the basics here.  My pantry is Minnesota in is overflowing.  My pantry here is sparse.  I think I like living this way though.  I feel so much more organized.  Today I actually bought a counted cross stitch kit to start.  I usually never feel like I have the time for that.  We had a great cobb salad today at the Brown Derby at Disney's Hollywood Studios.  We hit the parks in small bites, which is nice.  Last night I saw August, Osage County while DH went to another movie.  I loved it!!  Who has seen it?  Kate, I think you mentioned that you had.  Did you enjoy it as much as I did?

Hi to everyone else SAB, SEW, Wyo, New2bc, and everyone else.  I surely do hope winter loosens its grip on everyone soon.  Enough already!  Kate prayers and good wishes.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2014

wow, Gigil, you sound great.  Up beat, happy, healthy, ......  Guess being a snow bird is just what the doctor ordered.  Good for you girl, keep it up

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited January 2014

Runfree, Brookside, and Gigil thanks so much for the very sweet posts.

Brookside of course I will sashay into admissions with the princess warrior coat. I want them to know that I am one tough cookie, and that I have a bunch of tougher cookies in my pocket, so we will kick this ugly cancer in the butt. A day after surgery or so I will wear my sequinned hoodie, and let thm know that all of my tough cookies are in those pockets, and there is no way cancer will beat us. My surgery does not start till 12:30 PM, and of course it could go later, because the surgeries in front of me could go overtime. The surgery is a minimum of 3 hours, and recovery may be two holurs, so I may not get a room till the evening. If I don't post Thursday night then for sure I will sometime Friday. I have to be at the hospital at 10:15. Of course nothing to eat or drink after midnight, so waiting for water from midnight till after the surgery will be tough. The surgeon's np told me if I need a repeat sleeping pill or a pain pill I can have a teaspoonj of water.

Gigil I am so glad you are enjoying Florida. I was supposed to see August Osage County last night, but I canceled because I was in too much pain

• gigil
    edited January 2014

SEW I think this is the most right thing we have done in a very long time.  We have been talking about it for several years, this year, after my father's death we decided now is the time.  We aren't getting any younger and we didn't want to miss the chance to follow our dream.  We have been so sensible for so long, never buying toys like boats, cabins, or taken extravagant trips.  We saved it all for this and I am so glad we did.  We are still taking it a little easy financially - not buying a big house that we don't need, but apartment living is great, especially when the apartment has great upgrades, amenities, and it is brand new.  This will give us a chance to feel this out and decide if it still feels right in a year.  Taking chances and making changes really does get tougher the older we get.  I am hoping we are changing it up a little for ourselves.  We need to!  My husband has a month off and he says he feels like he is skipping school.  He has been working way too much.

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2014

Gigi, your winter escape sounds so very just right, as Goldilocks said.  I wish I were there with you.  I'd just love to be in a whole new place with just the stuff I need, as opposed to all the stuff I and my parents hoarded over the last century or so.  It's two degrees below zero and my furnace is galloping through my latest propane delivery. 

When I was a kid, this was a summer house and, in the winter, we drained the pipes, closed the house, and went back to Brooklyn.  I  guess I hit's my turn to make up for all that heating we never used.

Happy, Happy Day, Kate.  Do exactly what you want, enjoy, I'm planning to have a drink tonight, and toast you and your surgeon.  Sending prayers too!

• gigil
    edited January 2014

Brookside, it is the culmination of lots of dreaming and hoping and planning..  I have a house in lakes country Minnesota that is crammed with family memories and collections dating back to the 70's.  My/our job this spring is to sort through all of that and sell the house.  Time to let go of the past.  The kids don't want it, and my husband and I don't need it any more.  Time to move on.  That will leave us with a townhouse in the city and this place we are leasing in Florida,  

I hope this awful weather doesn't continue.  Polar vortex be damned!

Thinking about Kate today and praying for a skillful surgeon and a quick, uneventful recovery for her.

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2014

What is  with these kids?  Mine don't want anything I've saved either.  I was brought up to value the good quality antiques my parents acquired (some, no doubt, from their parents).  I thought I'd done the same with my kids, but, apparently not.

• gigil
    edited January 2014

Brookside I don't get it.  I even saved my daughters first dolls and books.  I made sure she had them.  She gave one to her daughter and the rest are gone.  Her husband purges everything that isn't his, sadly.  He is compulsive about it.  They live on a farm, so he can just make things disappear, usually when she is away on a trip.  I quit bringing things to her, so now I have to decide what to do with them.  If I give them directly to her daughter (my granddaughter) who is 7, they will be preserved.  She gets it!  I guess it skipped a generation.  

• LiLi-RI
    LiLi-RI Member Posts: 160
    edited January 2014

Kate: You will rock this surgery! I hope that your pain will be gone. Dream of attending the Oscars in your beautiful teal dress!!!!! Lisa

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited January 2014

Kate - glamour girl, we are all set!  Princess Warrior Coat is bedazzled, pockets are full, music is blasting...we will try to keep it down to a soft roar :O know that you are surrounded in our thoughts prayers and love!  And we will supervise all details...only the best for our Kate!  Sleep well...last night with that bad T...out out gone!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited January 2014

Hi y'all!

GiGil - Ooo who FL fun in the sun:). You and hubby deserve to enjoy both worlds...love being on vacation and playing on my terms...find your groove and relax enjoy...you gave certainly earned thus time:)

Our road trip and boxes have pooped me out:( hubby drove the truck into the garage wall...crack goes the master closet ha ha. His bud has a plan for repairs...buds wife will join me for RT!  Need furniture. Yeah, I gave away living room sofa rugs so...new:)

Brookside - I had 2 4X8 overhead shelves put in garage for all the stuff past down and can't part with but who needs 4 more sets of cherished dishes.  Boxes boxes...bought a toaster today...can't find the box...borrowed a blender...needed a drink...crock pot stew with no seasoning smells good but poultry seasoning and a bay leave would gave been yummy...moving & memories & momentous gifts:)

Bunkie - sorry on the meds.  My stepmom, 66, had a heart attack Monday on the tennis courts:(. She's worked so hard these past 8 months to lower her prednisone level...now back up so scary...follow your teams RX!  Go for tai chi Qi gong yoga...ooommmm

Josie - are you snowed in...good job hunting:)

Sew- cakeballs...good to hear from you:) hope the new year bring smikes and laughter:)

Joan - classes on brrr! You eastern girls are brave...frozen!  Hope you are making gma plans for valentines and Presidents' Day 

RunFree - how do you FitBit in in the snow and ice?  Treadmill? My knees are shot from running, jump rope, skiing...play hard:) pace yourself...new shoes:)

Ok, now doing my mockup of family room design...sofa? sectional? chais? recliners? Old people furniture...I'm an Ethan Allen explorer ...but going for in stock and in house by super bow!

Glam up ladies we gave a busy night...and a very busy day tomorrow!  Load up Kate here we come...sunny in CA:))) tiaras on ...

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited January 2014

Just a quick drive by post to wish Kate our warrior princess well tomorrow and to let you know I will be in that bedazzled pocket with the rest of these lovely ladies.

To the rest of you, MWAH!  Sooooooo cold here in the NE and getting tired of it! Other than that, am hanging in there. Had to postpone my MO appointment due to a snow storm last week so going on 2/4 and will see what she says about the Aromasin.

Off to bed...am whipped! xoxo

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited January 2014

Hi everyone….I'm just popping in to give a greeaaaat big hug to our Kate!

Kate, I am in your pocket (save room for me ladies!)

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited January 2014

Kate, We Love you !!!! We will be in your pocket and I'm sure someone will have cake balls .You will do fine and we will all be thinking of you tomorrow.

GIGIL, I'm so happy for you and your hubby.Enjoy !! And think of all of us freezing!!

Cindy, Sounds like your furniture shopping.Happy hunting!!Pledge tell me hubby didn't hit the garage with the new vehicle.

No Cindy we are not snowed in but getting tired of the cold too.

April, nice to hear from you.Stay warm.I talked to my big sister yesterday from Conneticut.She's tired of the cold to.

Well, I followed up on the employment agency that had a MA position I applied for.She talked like now it's a part time position.She knows I need full time but she's going to submit my resume anyway.Fingers crossed.

Hello to Sew,SAB, Sew Brookside, and anyone else I missed.

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 254
    edited January 2014

Kate,

Good luck on your surgery. We are all praying for you. You have been waiting for this day for a long time. We will be in your pocket tomorrow!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited January 2014

Brookside, Gigil, Lisa, Cindy, April, Sab, Josie, and new2bc you have brought tears to my eyes because of all of the sweet support. I am going to sashay in there tomorrow morning in my princess warrior coat with all of you in my pockets, and we will kick cancer in the butt. I can't wait for margaritas, chips, and cake balls but it may have to be Friday. I probably won't get a room till the evening. I will be groggy from anesthesia and high on IV morphine, so I don't know if I can post tomorrow. As soon as I am able to post I will. I can't thank you enough for all of the support. It makes me feel so good

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2014

Nighty, night, Kate.  Sleep well (I've been not sleeping in a very nice hotel.  Just back from the fitness center, where I was the lone 2 AM treadmiller.)

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited January 2014

popping in to wish Kate all the best today and for a speedy recovery -- keep up that positive attitude ! 

Hugs to everyone -- I wish I could address you all individually like so many of you do here. I use my ipad and can't keep track of all the names, etc. But I think of you all and wish you all the best. 

A word about Fitbits ... I bought one about ten days ago. I felt like I'd hit rock bottom with overeating and inactivity. My little Fitbit One is changing my attitude and motivating me to move ... And making me realize how sedentary I have been for a very long time!  It's quite cold here in Boston, but I have a black Labrador who needs her walks. I've been bundling up and hoofing it with her. We don't have any snow or ice on our sidewalks right now, so that makes it doable. Also my DH and I have taken her on some off-leash treks on snowy trails. That's really fun and a great workout. I just strap on Yak Trax to my boots (they're ice gripper things you put on your shoes for traction). Finally, when I can't fit in a walk or want to stay inside, I've been doing my own version of an aerobics/Zumba class. I put on my headphones with my favorite funk music (Isley Brothers, O'jays, Jamiroquai, to name a few) and do my own little routines with moves that I've learned in group classes (grapevines, hops, elbow/knee lifts etc). Works up a big sweat, and I can then just hop in the shower when I'm done. Counts as a lot of steps on the Fitbit!  

• gigil
    edited January 2014

Gemini4 good for you!  You are really stepping it up.  My Fitbit motivates me too.  I get a weekly report to my email.  Can't ignore the inactivity any longer.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited January 2014

Kate - I know you are rocking that surgery. I know your wig is georgous and you look like a movie star. Goodby cancer!!!! Praying for you.

Gigil - I am so happy you decided to do this. You sound so happy. I am getting there and trying to accept that it all has to go. In my case I can dump it all except a few items and never look back. This house is still too full of memories and crap I need to let go of. I hope you enjoy your stay down there. An apartment sounds perfect for now. I have been online looking at some furnished ones in Vegas for next year. It will give me a chance to see if I really like it.

Cindy - I am so sorry about your step mom. Prednisone is a crazy drug. Once you get on it there seems to be no end. I am back down to 6mgs now and still feeling wierd but I keep fighting. Just need to get the right dose. I hope your step mom will be ok.

Josie - Good luck on that job.

I am so tired of this winter. I swear every day since Thanksgiving it has been freezing and dangerous or warmer but snowing a foot. When my gas bill comes in it will be a very large one. Old house, old windows (original crank iron) new furnace but not very economical. We have another 10 inches coming this week end. There is still 25 inches on the ground. Yikers!!!

When I moved from LA I thought I sold off and dumped a ton of stuff but I still have it. I was good about dumping my parents stuff but not so good with my own. I was in the basement looking about yesterday and I even have an extra set of cushions for my Pottery Barn sofa and another slip cover. I am really sorry I saved my big mexican armoire because it used to house my TV and stereo but now with flat screens and smaller musical equipment it seems so bulky. It is a beautiful piece but just too big. I am going to start purging this spring again..... that includes about 30 S&P sets I used to collect. It all needs to go. I used to have a older Dr in Beverly Hills that would say to me "you spend the first 60 years buying all kinds of stuff and the next 20 giving it all away". I thought he was crazy at the time but now I get it.

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2014

Hi all

Its nighttime on the west coast- hoping Kate is resting comfortably post surgery and doing well! I know once she can get her hands on some kind of electronic device we will hear from her. 

We finally had rain last night in NCAL- I could actually smell it coming! Sorry for all you who are in the deep freeze- this winter has been pretty brutal. 

• gigil
    edited January 2014

I get it too Bunkie.  I've amassed lots of small collections over the years.  Geodes, miniature boxes, porcelain dolls, paper dolls, books. I also have a ton of art materials and craft items.  Now I am wondering who to give what to.  I have lots of furniture,including four of those huge type armoires you mention.  As you say, flat screen TV's make them excessive.  

Thinking about Kate tonight and hoping things are going well.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited January 2014

Kate, hoping things went well for you yesterday! Just wanted to say I am thinking of you.

To the rest of you, hang in there! Spring is coming!!!!!

• LaurieParr
    LaurieParr Member Posts: 214
    edited January 2014

Kate....sending love and light!!!! 

Radiation ladies....love you lots! Popping in to say "HI!" and remind you that I think of you always. Hoping today is a great day for all of you! XOXOXOXO

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2014

Hi
    I had no internet for 2 days.  Last night I went online, then had an hour on the phone with oldest brother in Dayton, and conked out after that with the TV on.  No posting. 
    I have been keeping Kate in my prayers...darn it was so crowded in that pocket...hoping for the best news.
    Brookside, your fitness center is open all night?  Mine is in a populated area and opens from 9 – 9 … can’t even go before work.  Not like I’m going lately…I am a night owl, though!
    wyo, I’ve been watching the weather on the W coast and saw the rains coming.  Badly needed for sure.

gemini, I watch the weather in Boston area too, as my DD#2 moved there.  I am due for another visit very soon...I miss the kids so much.

Cindy, I can't keep track of where you are....but now that you are settling in TX for awhile, I should be good.  Is this the house you bought?  Too bad about the garage...on another thread, a busy mom backed into her DH's car...so 2 repairs and a lot of angst!  I hope it's a quick fix.
    Snow came Wednesday – only 3” on top of old; but very cold and a bad commute.  My friend in Raleigh NC had 3 school snow days; none here.  Today is above freezing at last. 
    My DS in Chicago had reported minus 15.  My brother in OH said the same.
    Speaking of stress and BC, can anyone suggest a (legal) way to de-stress in the car?  I realize I tense so much while driving and get more pain in legs … I often wonder if that contributed to my BC among all the other mistakes I’ve made.  On the other hand, I do 40 miles on the infamous Long Island Expressway every day so I shouldn’t be hard on myself. 

Bunkie, hang in there...make a wish list for the spring purge and try to take those extra little steps during the day.  I think some are wearing the fit bit all day while running in and out...it's telling. 
    My DDs have Garmin watches - will have to ask them how they work.

My new eating regime is helping so much with energy and well-being.  I am off several drugs now (ugh have to tell the docs) and can think clearly.  When I arrive at work, I still have my ADD going on; but I feel happy to be here and enthusiastic.  Only a three week change - am not usually hungry, and I do not crave bad carbs.  I break the rules a little but in such small amounts I don't feel it.  I lost 5 lf the 10 pounds I gained and have not begun exercising again due to the congestion.
    Warning to self -- most of my good intentions of the past seemed to collapse when I traveled or was looking square at a celebretory cake.  One day at a time is my motto, and sometimes an hour at a time. 

I was asked to be a professional mentor to someone who is not in my job description - someone with whom I had a social incident where she was not truthful to me and hurt a dear friend of mine.  I mulled over how I could get out of it; then I decided to tell the person who sets up the mentors to ask her directly if she minds having someone out of her job description and let her know it is ME.  I have decided, however, that mending fences on a professional level could only be a positive thing.  So I'm good now either way.

Enjoy the thaw, if you are so lucky. 

• gigil
    edited January 2014

Joan when I am driving in the city, I like to have my Sirius radio tuned to Spa or escape.  Other than that some chamomile tea might help.  That sounds like a brutal drive.  I have been a passenger in a friend's car going from New Jersey into NYC.  He is a good driver, and I am not a good passenger.  I felt pretty much at ease with him driving, however.   If you don't have Sirius, get a good Native American flute CD. So soothing, but it still keeps you alert.  Good for you on eliminating any extra meds you can.  I am doing the same.  Tapering...   As for the mentoring request, good for you for rising above.  It always feels better living up to one's own standards, no matter what the outcome.

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2014

Hi, Joan.  The fitness center was in a hotel.  My local gym is only open M - F, 6:30 - 6:30, but if you don't get there before 6:00, it's likely to be locked up nice and tight.  So happy to hear about your five pounds, even more happy about your energy.  And so intrigued by your mentoring issue!

Kate, thinking of you, with hopes and wishes for the very best of pain meds, a surgeon grinning ear-to-ear because he's so happy with your outcome, sweet, caring, skillful nurses and so forth, and oodles of princess warrior post surgical glamour. 

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited January 2014

dearest kate,

Thinking of you, sending healing thoughts and prayers out to you.xoxoxo

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2014

Joan...good news about the food changes bringing more energy, a gal can always use more energy.  As for the commute, I'd guess public transport or a car pool is out of the question?  Other than that, I second Gigil with suggesting soothing music and NOT NPR or news as that might add to your stress