Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited January 2014

Joan, I'm so happy for you about your dietary success.  Can you give us a quick sketch of what you're eating these days?  I have both a Fitbit and a Garmin watch so I can explain the difference.  I wear my Fitbit all the time.  Some days I log 4000 steps and some days well over 10,000.  If I spend time on my treadmill, it's often closer to 15,000.  I like the Fitbit emails and website too, and for a while my husband had one and we were competing.  (His stopped working and he decided not to replace it.)  But what most makes me love my Fitbit more than a regular pedometer is the way it counts stairs you climb.  I work on a hilly campus, my office is on the second floor, bathroom on the third floor or in the basement, printer in the basement, classrooms on the third floor in another building--so tall that going from the first to third floor is counted as four flights, not two.  The Fitbit gives you credit for a flight of stairs with every 10 stairs you climb, including hills.  There are days I get credit for 30 or 40 flights of stairs!  Some Fitbit models don't count stairs, as I learned when mine was lost for a few days and I started looking into a replacement.  The Fitbit calculates your distance, but it's based on average step-length X number of steps, not satellite/GPS data.

The Garmin watch is a running gadget that does have a satellite/GPS receiver.  I only wear it when I run outdoors, which I haven't done in over a month.  But when I do, I wear both the Fitbit on my waistband (to track my all-day step and stair tally) and the Garmin on my wrist to tell me exactly how far I went and at what average pace.  I plug it into my computer after I get back, and the software gives me a little map of where I went (satellites know everything, to about 20-foot accuracy).  I can also click on a graph to find out my pace at any moment along the route.  It tracks elevation, helpful, again, in my hilly town.  By putting the graph lines together, I can see that my pace slowed as I was going uphill, for instance.  Someone who does a lot of walking outdoors could get a lot out of a Garmin too.  It has a lot of other settings that I don't use, like functions for cyclists and an online community that could overlap a bit with Fitbit data-sharing.  But on the whole, they have different uses and I love them both.  

Sorry--sometimes the running wonk gets chatty.

I'm on the edge of my seat until we hear about Kate's surgery....

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited January 2014

(((Kate))) - TGIF and the nasty t is out!  Speedy easy gentle recovery girlie girl ...sending healing thoughts&prayers.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited January 2014

I just stopped in here to see if our resident girlie girl Kate was doing well. I am sure she is trying to get her bearings and she will post soon. I really hope they got that thing out.

We have 8 inches coming tomorrow...AGAIN. I have no idea where my snow guy is going to put more snow. Die winter die!!!!

• rmlulu
    edited January 2014

Hi y'all

Today the 3rd scratch coat went on the garage&closet!  Monday comes the custom designer bumper guard :) idea is to cushion the blow...ha ha...looks like a bumper guard for a boat dock...truck is not coming into the garage unless there is a good old TX hail storm.  Still working on boxes...there will be just inches between truck, suv, and wall...working on where to hang my kayak ugh!  

Joan - I'm home in my TX mamma bear house!  Hubby is antsy for new sofa&recliner and a few other items I donated sofa chair ottoman area rugs...ha! Plastic chairs for Super Bowl.  Commuting...ugh!  Did 10 years of 3 hrs round trip CA congested freeways to the winding steep grades up the mountain...music is a must!  I could zone out in music...a Xanax if really bad or hotel room...yes, inclement weather fog snow ice stayed off the hill. Congrats on the weight loss eating plan and mentoring speak up! 

Josie - hope you had a good week at the job and interviews are in the works for a better position and working environment. 

Bunkie - hotel :))) thx step mom is recovering well...upset on her med increase...SEs...she had just worked down to 5 mg and hair bloat better and was competing 3 days a week on the courts...now on home 2-3 months.  I'm staring at our tv that will not fit into the old style tv book case...so it's on my buffet cords everywhere...hubby thinks a big 60" over fireplace...no way...we are down to 1 yes only 1 tv:)  so hard deciding which stuff we are ready to part with...moving keeps my stuff to a low roar!

GiGil - FL sunshine...honeymoon time!  Will the GKs be coming for Spring break?  Disneyworld, beach time :) 

Shout out ...Kate's pocket party continues...and it's Super Bowl...we will have to rank our top 3 commercials!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited February 2014

Well I lost my entire post.Here we go again.

Kate, hope your recovery is going smoothly

BUNKIE, please tell me snow isn't on the way. We had a little sleet today.I think Tuesday is going to be bad.Darn it I have to go to my OBGYN that day and to work for 2 hours.

Gemini good for you that you didn't let a little snow stop you from walking the dog.

Joan do tell us what kind of diet your doing.

Cindy Thanks for thinking of me.Work is ok.As long as I can stay out of trouble.Sad

RunFree, steps are good for building bone.but bad for your knees if you have weak knees like me.

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited February 2014

okay this website has cost me $$ I looked into this fitbit as it sounded so interesting- bought one tonight!! hope it does not fall off I worry about the way it secures to your wrist. 

Kate- hope post-op day 1 was uneventful and you can get your fingers to a keyboard somewhere soon!

so sorry for all those getting snow- we got a few rainy sprinkles now they say maybe sunday hmmm

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited February 2014

Wyo, You have to double check the band on the Fitbit pretty closely.  I have not had mine properly clasped and it dropped off a couple of times.  I really like mine.

• gigil
    edited February 2014

Who. You have to double check the band on the Fitbit pretty closely.  I have not had mine properly clasped and it dropped off a couple of times.  I really like mine.

• wyo
    edited February 2014

Thanks GiGil- I was reading about that and I am going to wear it on my non-dominant hand so putting it on already seemed difficult.  one of the forums said put a drop of water on the holes and the post part and it clicks right in? Hope I don't lose it

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited February 2014

Brookside, Gemini, Bunkie, Wyo, Gigil, april,,Laurie, Joan and Suzannah thank you so much for your support./ I am too tired and high on morphine to read your entire posts so I will respond later. I just noticed that you were thinking of me and giving me  support. I so much appreciate it.

The surgery started 90 minutes late, and went on a couple of hour longer than expected. One reason it went on longer was removing adhesions. I will get back to that in a few minutes.I didn't get to a room until 10 pm. Some pain, but not  as bad as I was scared I might have. My surgeon said the surgery went very well, and the ugly 6 cm tumor is out of my bladder. More good news is it looks like the adhesions were causing the abdominal cramps that I was experiencing this past month. I have not experienced them at all since the surgery. For more good news it means no chemo in the near future. I am not saying  I won't ever have to do it again, but for now it looks like I will be out of wigs in 4 months Speaking of wigs I did rock my wig at surgery yesterday, and my nurse knew about it and said it was ok. They don't have a rule about wigs like dentures and other stuff. When they read the list of do you wear dentures etc etc wigs are not even mentioned.

Because of getting to a room late last night the pain kept me up till 3 am. Then I was woken at 5:30 for blood tests that I refused, and I couldn/t get back to sleep. My doctor ordered the blood tests for 8 tomorrow morning, and that is much better. I am on a liquid diet at least tomorrow if not longer. I sashayed-spel, I am too high on morphine to spell correctly, down the hospital hall tonight and my surgeon was thrilled. Je called me tonight. I am one tough cookie, and your support has so much helped me get through this surgery, and kick cancer in the butt, Let have margaritas, cjips and cake balls Sunday when I am off of the liquid diet.

Thanks again for all of the support. It means the world to me

• wyo
    edited February 2014

woo hoo Kate- I see your post now I will read it in case the east coasters are already ZZZZZZZZ longer answer coming 

• wyo
    edited February 2014

Just read the entire post- don't you worry about reading ours til you feel up to it.  It sounds like you sailed through and things went beautifully!! Its so hard if you get behind on pain control- difficult to catch up so stay ahead if you can. 

thrilled that adhesions were a problem not "other things" now those are cleaned out as well as that nasty mass- good for you. 

0530 am is an inhumane hour to be waking people up for bloodwork- glad you said "no".

We are all thinking of you and praying for your speedy recovery- you are a tough cookie

• RunFree16
    edited February 2014

Up at 2 am, can't sleep--and so relieved to get your report, Kate!  It's GREAT NEWS that your tumor is GONE!!!  And more GREAT NEWS that your pain was coming from the adhesions and they cleared those up and you don't need chemo for the abdominal pain!!!  Imagine if you didn't have the surgery scheduled--they might have given you chemo out of a wrong theory about what was causing the abdominal trouble.  Wow, your whole spring just opened up!  You can go to Chicago, you can go for manicures, you can go out to movies and then get margaritas and nachos, you can shop!  AND you can attend the Oscars with your natural hair and  your date Brad Cooper will be running his fingers through it and murmuring sweet nothings to you!  

I think I remember that you were going to put an order in for NO early-morning blood-work wake ups.  It's such a drag that you got woken up and then couldn't get back to sleep for a while.  And I'm so sorry you were in pain, and it was such a long day.  But look at you, right down the hall!!!  And you will sashay out of that hospital soon minus one uninvited 6 cm guest and a bunch of adhesions you also never asked for--and minus your abdominal pain too!  Congratulations!!!!  

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2014

Run, I am up too ... had a nap and now wide awake. 
    I can see why you get a lot of steps with your building arrangement.  I confess I take the elevator once a day in the morning then the rest of the day I do the stairs. One floor for me is about 26 steps.
    But everything's pretty convenient...about 15 steps to the ladies room :-)

Kate, so great to hear you are recovering well.  I hope many of your symptoms will now be gone and you will have a long time of feeling good.  Send updates when you feel better. 

Bunkie, more snow....???? I cannot believe it. I guess there's more cold weather heading my way.  You are getting slammed this winter.
    It looks like the weather in NJ is going to cooperate for Super Bowl.  We have no plans due to still recovering from illness, so I'm looking forward to a relaxing day. 

Uh oh, now that Idared speak about my eating changes, I hope I can stay on the healthy wagon!
    No diet this time....so weight loss will be slow.
    Due to congestion, fatigue, and drug SEs, I started cutting down on most sweets, white flour, bread, pasta, (gluten), and dairy (cheese, yogurt).  I cut way back on caffiene.
    I immediately noticed I am not getting the bloat I'd get every time I ate any bread or sweets.  My clothes are fitting better.  I don't have the blood sugar swings that have plagued me...i was making trips to the candy machine at 3 pm...now I am not hungry.
    So, I eat whole grains (quinoa, brown rice) nuts, soups, vegetables (lots), salad, olive oil, meat, fish, eggs, hummis, and my sweets are angel food cake and fruit.   I don't have the foggy head any more; but I still have my ADD.

Thanks for all the suggestions for music.  Interestingly, I have stopped listening to the news and traffic in the car.  I have a favorite cd playing but I still tense up without realizing it.  I have to talk myself into relaxing each muscle.

Gigi, I am so glad you are enjoying your place in FL.  I also love having just enough things around to get by.  We always say when we are away that we'd have much more time at home if we'd just have fewer things.  My house is "full".

I had face time with my GKs in Cohasset MA and they showed me all around their new home.  I was dizzy because they couldn't hold their phone still.  LOL...Love that I can "see" them.  We counted the dolls & stuffed toys on Charlotte's bed (26).

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited February 2014

So happy, Kate!  Boy, are you doing well!  Maybe last time you sashayed down the hall, but next time, when all your success has had time to sink in, I'll bet you'll just float.  And adhesions, would you believe it!  You couldn't have gotten better news than that.  Now the task is just to choose the proper nightgown/pj/sequined hoody for the day and rest, relax, heal, send us news. 

• brooksidevt
    edited February 2014

Uh, oh.  Do I need a fitbit too?

Joan you're my hero.  Such healthy eating!  Such stick-to-it-ability.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited February 2014

yay kate!  First thing I did when I got up this morning was to check this site to see if you had posted.  The news is soooooo good!  Tumor gone, adhesions gone, wig on and you sound like yourself.  I hope you are wearing your new hoodie. Lots of love.

• RunFree16
    edited February 2014

Joan, that is wonderful food and also food for thought.  I get awful blood sugar swings, even though I'm careful to eat lots of protein and fiber.  (They are definitely worse if I don't eat well.)  I would have such a hard time giving up gluten or dairy though.  So what do you eat for breakfast?  I am devoted to my breakfast--Kashi Go Lean cereal mixed 3:1 with Apple Cinnamon Cheerios, although those have been hard to find lately.  Sometimes I put a banana on it too.  When I'm sick I have oatmeal.  That's about it, at least 360 days a year.  I am not sure I could handle having eggs for breakfast, but maybe you eat something else I could try?  I love how you said you feel better both physically and mentally.  It's amazing how much control we do have over how we feel.

Kate, I love what Susannah said--you sound like yourself!  Exactly!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited February 2014

Woke up this morning at 5am like I have a job to go to. Who does that????? Looked outside and you guessed it. White out blizzard conditions. It came from the west so here we go again. Predicting 10 inches today and then again on Tuesday. Can someone say enough????

KATE!!!! Thank God you are doing good. Yes you rocked the wig. Woo hoo!!!  Adhesions...that makes sense like scar tissue. OMG what a relief. You go girl.

Ok now I can go back and read some posts. My neighbor is going to take me to the store. I am sure all the food is gone already. People here go crazy with a storm. I do have enough to get me through a week if need be...just want to get some bread etc.

Talk later ladies.

• josie123
    edited February 2014

Kate, I'm so glad to hear from you.So glad everything went well.Adhesions... wow what a relief... we're they able to fix them?  So it doesn't cause you pain.

BUNKIE, we are getting rain all day today but we will have snow by Tuesday.

Fit bit sounds pretty cool but can't afford that right now.

Joan good for you that you figured out what affects your body and your able to stay away from it.

Better go now We have lots of stuff to do today.No food left in the house.Grocery store here we come.

BTW I have tried to eat healthier this week.I made spinach salad with baby spinach feta cheese and a little Italian dressing and some mandarins oranges on top.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited February 2014

Kate--Smiled every time I thought of you glamming it up for post-surgery.  I'm so pleased to hear about your results!

My dh bought me a fit bit over the holidays.  It does motivate, but it also can shock me how sedentary some days can be.  Reality check!

Joan--Share your food plan!  I want to know!

My whole office is trying to make a commitment to healthy.  Most of us are on the whole grains, low sugar etc.  But one lady brought in mini-cupcakes the other day.  She said they were healthy because they were half they size! Anyway, most of us are bringing shoes to walk a quick 15-20 route every day.  It's a great break.

Costco today, and stocked up on those every once in a while items (oil, rice, etc.) and woo hoo…the bill was huge.  I thought Costco was supposed to save you money!

• rmlulu
    edited February 2014

Kate - Ooo who!  Happy Dancing:))). Great news and good reason to sashay down the hospital halls in teal jeweled hoody!  So glad you surgery went well, 6 cm T is gone and those nasty adhesions, and no chemo:)

Pocket party celebration ...  pass the chips...triple dipping, and FitBit gives extra points for pocket jumping...ha ha! We're gonna trip, smash, bash, anyone who dare ventures into your room too early for labs...drugs please!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited February 2014

Brookside, Suzannah, Bunkie, Josie, Wyo, Sab, Joan, Runfree and Cindy thanks so much for your support. It makes me feel so loved.

Runfree, I think you are right. Spring does look so much better for me. I am so relieved, and so much looking forward to glamming it up for my date with Brad Cooper to the Oscars.

Bunkie, Enough, Enough Enough of your bad weather.

Josie my adhesions are gone and those buggers can never hurt me again

I did well today. Walked up and down the hospital halls as much as possible. I have some pain, but it is manageable. I weaned myself off of morphine, and using Oxycodone instead. Oxycodone is less constipating. I need to pass gas in order to get rid of the liquid diet I am on. I am hoping by the Super Bowl Tomorrow we can all enjoy margaritas, chips and cake balls. I love you guys. Thanks again for all of the wonderful support.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2014

Kate, sounds like progress!!!  Here's to a quick recovery for you.  Party waiting for you...whenever you are ready.  Smile

Bunkie, oh gosh, so much white stuff!  I hope you found some food on the shelves.  Be safe and stay warm. 
    My colleague, the Meteorologist, predicts 1-4" Monday.  And cold again. 
    Cindy, are you getting into those boxes?  I love the garage bumper...why not? 
    Josie, your baby spinach salad sounds great to me. 

Brookside, no food hero here...haha...praying the cravings don't return. 
    We went out to eat before a movie tonight and found a great salad choice (290 c) but I added a skinny Margarita...first drink since New Years.  Heck, it's the week end. 

I had coffee in the movies...which is why I'm up at 2 am.  We saw August Osage County...that was a "wild ride"...great acting and enough dysfunction to make me feel almost normal. 

SAB, I bought the anti-cancer book at your recommendation.  Reading that, I have a long way to go.  I shopped at Whole Foods and felt really confused...they stock organic & regular foods side by side...
    I think you should be sharing your best meal ideas...you've been eating healthy a long time.

Run, my breakfasts are well-cooked eggwhite vegetable omelettes (dash of parmesan)  I make a big one on Sunday and cut it up for the week.  I've made quinoa patties with spinach, eggs, onion, fresh parmesan...and freeze for work. Confession: one slice of nitrate-free turkey bacon with breakfast.  If I forget to eat I snack on hummis, tomatoes, peppers, etc. So far, it works.  I love cereals but they trigger cravings for me.  NerdyMaybe I can add them back eventually. 

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!

Why are my posts so long???  I need to work on that.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited February 2014

Joan, I hope you enjoyed that book.  It really changed my life.  I must say I've been less strict since working, but I certainly have never gone back to my old ways either.  Every time I start slipping I do a "bible-dip" into the book and it sets me back on the path !  As for my meals, last night I made Saag and Aloo Gobi (I did not eat the potatoes) and served it with a whole grain Tandoori bread, Raita and steamed lentils.  Tonight I am making quinoa pasta with sun dried tomatoes and spinach pesto with a kale salad.  If you really want to get some ideas I suggest you find the defunct thread on this site that has a running report on excellent anti cancer meal ideas!  Hope that helps.  

Kate, I'm ready to party with you!  Virtual marguerites, and don't forget virtual wings for the game today.  I'm so sad that my niners didn't make it that I'll probably go to the mall in protest (heehee) instead of watching the game.

It's raining!  I'm so grateful but wish it had held off a bit to allow for a walk.  Off to the gym…hope all you Easties are keeping warm and are well-stocked.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2014

Sab, I'm coming to your house for meals....or, do you hire out?  Catering?  Maybe a week at a time?  All sounds delicious.......  Rain up here too....just lovely.  guess Wyo must be getting it too....

• brooksidevt
    edited February 2014

Joan, please do keep the nice long posts coming.  It's so wonderful to get to know you through them. 

SAB, Joan, RunFree, everyone, please do keep the healthy meal ideas coming.  I was so good for so, so, so long after diagnosis,and now I'm slipping back into my old ways.  In the beginning, it was fear, let's face it, but now I've pretty come to terms with the new me and my new medical identity and naughty foods are creeping, into my grocery cart.

Here's hoping you are having a really good day, Kate, with real food on the trays, and with princess warrior power rays zapping your body with strength and comfort.

Bunkie, you have confessed your little tendency to shelve and store and freeze enough food for any famine.  Did you really not have a loaf of bread in the freezer?

• RunFree16
    edited February 2014

Joan, thanks for the diet deets!  Do you have a recipe for quinoa patties or do you just wing it?  Those sound like something I would like.  SAB, once again I love what you're eating.  I will look for that thread, thanks for the idea.  Do you have a recipe for the spinach pesto?  (Or is it spinach and sundried tomato pesto?)  I adore pesto but the calories do freak me out.  I feel sure in these enlightened times that someone has come up with a less calorific way to make it.

My husband and I are not football fans.  If the Patriots were in it, I might watch it just because everybody around here would be rabid about it.  My son now just wants the Broncos to lose because one of his teachers is a huge Broncos fan, and he thinks it will be fun to rib the guy (who will take it as just friendly ribbing).  I guess that's boy culture at work.

• gigil
    edited February 2014

Hey ladies!  Kate It made my day reading your posts and that you are  on the mend without ugly Mr. T and his adhesion friends.  Here's hoping for good days for you for a long, long time.  A lovely spring filled with you doing just what you want to do.

I have been plagued with a sore neck and a tooth that needs extracting.  Luckily I brought some ear acupuncture studs along, so DH placed a couple for me.  Now to get out walking and get some endorphins going.  It has been cloudy for days here.  Today the sun is shining.  Super Bowl later.  I just watch for the commercials and to keep hubby company.  Wings, meatballs, shrimp, veggies to dip. Guacamole, and fruit.  Not too sinful.  Love that so many of us are on the Fitbit and working to eat right.  I really like quinoa.

Bunkie, enough snow for you girl!  What's all this about more snow than any other time in history??

• josie123
    edited February 2014

Gigil, sorry to hear you have a abscesses tooth.That hurts.Hope the acupuncture works for you.I'm like you I only watch for the commercials.

SAB and Sew, I am glad the rain came your way.We had so much yesterday I thought the backyard was going to flood.

This day just flew by its almost time to go to the in-laws for dinner.

Hope everyone enjoys the superbowel or at least the commercials.