Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited February 2014

RunFree, today's New York Times featured recipes by Mark Bittman for quinoa cakes!  And a few other quinoa recipes -- here's the link http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/magazine/just-when-you-thought-quinoa-couldnt-be-crunchier.html

Kate, so good to hear from you!  

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited February 2014

What a good day today- lots to be thankful for. 

I loved seeing your post Kate that you are getting up and around, getting the narcotic situation managed and  you will be out the door in no time- yeah!!!

I am really struggling with what/how to eat as well.  For everything you read that is good, someone has an article that its bad LOL.  I went on my week prep cooking frenzy so I don't buy stuff at work that is a mystery.....

I bought glass storage containers today and got rid of all my junky plastic- I microwave to re-heat and am not going to use plastic any more I decided. 

ound a great butcher with grass-fed meats so stocked up and away I went. 

1. Carne Asada- marinated by the butcher, in the crockpot (raining so no grilling) with onions and the marinade, falling apart

2. Picadillo- a cuban dish, I messed up and put too much tomato so its more sloppy joe but again grass-fed ground sirloin ummmm- serving over medley of rice and whole grains

3. Breakfast sandwiches- I crave these and don't eat enough protein. I used sprouted, flourless bread and apple-cinnamon sausage from the butcher- have to show you my picture of the eggs-I might use egg-beaters or whites next time this was the first time making.  Wrapped in wax paper and in the freezer for grab and go to keep me out of the bagels and doughnuts.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited February 2014

Brookside - Oh thanks for reminding me of my stockpiling....haha!!!!! I hate bread that has been in the fridge or freezer. It tastes wet to me. If I put cake in the fridge I have to heat it first.

Gigil - We had a winter like this in 78. At that time I was working at the phone co and they sent the repair trucks to get us.You always needed an operator during storms. We had to pack for 2 days and slept on the couches in the break rooms.

Joan and Kate - We have 45 inches so far this season and 8 more coming Tuesday. Usually we have a warm day to melt some down before we get more. Not this year. Ever day since Thanksgiving has been frozen or snowing. Add in the power outage with the ice storm and I am really ready to get out of here for good.

Kate - Keep dancing in the halls!!! Pretty in Pink!!!

On the health front my meds are helping my body a bit but the SEs are crazy. I thought I was dizzy before but now it is much worst. Makes me wonder if the meds are the cause of the vertigo. I did start getting dizzy in 08 and started steroids in 07. However I took them for 9 mos back in 03 and they did not have that affect. If it is true I am going to be dizzy the rest of my life.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited February 2014

Yippee, gemini, thank you!!!  I'm so excited about ALL of those recipes!  Wyo, what a great thing to have a butcher who sells quality meat.  The carne asada sounds extra wonderful.  

Kate, hope to hear you're heading home soon and feeling great!

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited February 2014

Bunkie I'm sorry that the side effects are bad. 45"!!!! I always think I miss snow until I read something like that. 

Sew, you are the original healthy person. You were eating right before I ever thought of it! It's so great to see how many ladies are eating right. Lots of great ideas!

Hi Kate! Hope you're feeling better every hour!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited February 2014

Joan, Sab, Brookside and Gigil thanks so much for the support

Joan I am glad you enjoyed August Osage County. I am looking forward to seeing it after I recuperate.

Sab, I am so impressed and jealous of your discipline. I am still not on a regular diet, so I can't enjoy a virtual party yet.

Gigil, I am so sorry that you are experiencing a sore neck and toothache OUCH! I hope you feel better soon.

I am feeling a little better today and grateful

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited February 2014

Gemini 4, wyo, Bunkie and Runfree thanks for the support. Sorry I just missed your posts.

Bunkie, I am sorry about your weather, and sorry you have been feeling so dizzy.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2014

Hi all. 

Up late. We saw the grass today after 2 days above freezing. Plenty of snow though.  And we are getting hit in a few hours with up to 8" 

The worst is driving near the college in snow and ice with kids who have no clue what to do. 

Bunkie I remember '78 but I was not in the ME. I was in sunny Denver and there was a snow drought.  But I had plenty of news from back home. I hope the vertigo takes a hike.  Bummer on top of all else. 

Kate how are you doing ?  I hope you are feeling well today. 

Run will post the recipe tomorrow.  Its on my laptop. My quinoa recipe is different - has eggs mixed in it.  Great for breakfast. 

Gemini thanks for the link.  

Work in a few hours- til 9pm.  I doubt night classes  will cancel.   Cant sleep - moving out of guest room (my room while DH sick) - not sure I can sleep as well but will try. 

Nite all and happy 6 more weeks of winter. 

• joan811
    edited February 2014

Happy  school closed day and evening. 

Day off. 

Sad  That means make up days in May when I want to go on vacation. 

Ahhhh what shall I do today!

• BUNKIE10
    edited February 2014

Ok just 1 question. What is the big deal about David Beckem? I never understood that one.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited February 2014

Happy long weekend,Joan.  I suspect this day off hits at just the right time to give you a much needed break. Sorry about the extra days in May, however.

Wyo, I'm a little fuzzy about the breakfast sandwiches.  Is that a muffin top pan?  Do you bake the eggs, make the sandwiches, then freeze them? 

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited February 2014

Hi y'all

Brrr, it's cold 30 in TX!  Are you eastern gals blowing down this way? Stop it!

Kate - great news:). You are the glam girl walking the halls...may your body cooperate and let you move on to real pocket party foods. Walks should stimulate everything back to working order:)

Joan - snow day:) stay warm at home...there's always lots to do...glad hubby's feeling better. 

Ok FitBit fans, which one? Zip one flex force all to confusing...do you really wear it to bed...just want to ensure I'm moving enough...haha not changing houses...headed to the gym thus afternoon...took a break because LE was so bad but looking better.

AntiCancer book is great modified my game plan...though hubby still hits fast food...del taco, in&out, Costco pizza hot dogs ugh...smells so good. Bring on the recipes...I eat salmon 2X my only meat splurge on Wed/Sat otherwise vegan...yeah that why he hits fast food too organic! SAB, RunFree, Gemini, Joan, keep the recipes coming!

Bunkie - agree Beckham doesn't cut it.  Brookside is right. You must have something good hidden in that freezer.  Lol were you the CA preparedness star for earthquakes. 6 more weeks of winter:( hang in there fight those SEs!

GiGil - FL sunshine :) what probiotic did you recommend? 

Josie - how did your major grocery shopping go...our stores were packed...think the combo of cold snap&suoer bowl brought everyone out. Have a good week on the job...keep sending out resumes!

Wyo - Bay Area rain:) CA needs water...ya know his SoCal wants all y'all's NorCal water...your breakfast treats look delicious :)

Gemini - yummy link! Out walking the dog:) after quinoa cakes. 

Today, more boxes :( hair color...can't wait until appt next Thursday...girls day out so at least touch up roots:) breaking down and will hit sephora for products...I need superwoman X-ray vision...red box, blue box, green box, too many boxes:( can't find MB bath 3rd drawer for product, brush, Mia, nail polish, my girlie stuff.

Shout out to all

(((Hugs)))

Cindy 

• BUNKIE10
    edited February 2014

Cindy - Hahaha!! Yes I was all ready for the earthquake. I was also the person you wanted to room with on business trips because I had EVERYTHING packed away in samples. Everyone used to come to my room to get stuff they forgot. When we had the power outage I lost my huge freezer full of food and have been very slow to replenish because winter has been so bad. Nothing in the form of bread will be in there.....except garlic toast. If there was an In& Out here I would be in trouble or a Fatburger. OMG I miss those. I can not find Wild Caught Salmon here just Atlantic so I am going to try Dr Weils site to order some.

There is a new online booklet out by EWG (Enviromental Working Group) called Save a Breast or something. Saw it this morning and can not get it to post here. It lists the 10 biggest endocrine toxins and how to avoid them. Some stuff I already knew but found some new ones. I am down to being about 70% good when it comes to what I eat and 90% what I use in my home. All my repairs and painting and remodeling has been done with non VOC, non toxic stuff. I have an extra thick hepa on my furnace and my vacuum also has a hepa. I also have a hepa stand alone in my bedroom. I have a long way to go when it comes to food but hope when we get the Whole Foods next year that will make it easier. It is a bear not driving and paying to be taken to 4 different small stores to get organic foods. Kroger here is doing better with a brand called Simple Truth and our Meijers has their own brand. Not sure how good they are. Can not wait to have some varity in the meat dept.... finally. I buy most of my grass fed and organic from a small farmer that sells to a small store on campus. There is not much varity though. Just a roast and some steaks. Those recipies look good and I am going to try some.

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited February 2014

Cindy, my fitbit is the One model. I chose it because I like the option of clipping it to my waistband or hiding it in my bra. I was concerned that the wristband models like the Flex might pick up hand movements as steps. 

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited February 2014

I have the older Fitbit Ultra, similar to the One.  Now my husband says he wants a new one!  I did wear it to sleep a few times--you put it in a little soft wristband thing--but the information wasn't that interesting.  Lacking any semblance of cleavage, I wear it on my waistband, and I take it off just for sleep and showers.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited February 2014

BUNKIE, hope your side effects are a little better, are you snowed in again?

Joan, hope your snow day was ok..here's hoping our snow isn't going to be bad.No more snow days or my kids will have a very short summer.

Cindy, Thanks for thinking of me, it helps reduce my stress by having that2 extra hours on Tuesday and Thursday.I hope your able to get unpacking.Living out of boxes really stinks.Enjoy your day at the hairdresser.

Kate, sounds like your doing ok .I'm glad thanks for keeping us updated.Hope your diet turns solid soon.Thinking of you.

Tomorrow is the next big snowstorm. Not sure how much were expecting but I have my OBGYN appointment tomorrow and have to try to make it into work for my 2 hours before hand.

• joan811
    edited February 2014

Cindy, don't want you to feel left out....I can send you a big box of cold wet snow...we have over 6" and more on the way. 
    Work tomorrow and I'm shivering just thinking of going out there.

• wyo
    edited February 2014

HI all

A box of snow- now wouldn't that be something for the postman to deliver- 

First for brookside- baked the eggs at 350 for 10mins in something called a "whoopie pie" pan- but a muffin top pan is the same thing really I think.  So I bake the eggs, use sausage, canadian bacon whatever then cheese if you are feeling bold ( I did not put any cheese) then assemble, wrap in wax paper and freeze- pop one out for breakfast on the go

Kate!! glad to see you posting- when are you getting sprung do you know?hope pain and peeing are all under control. 

FitBit- new obsession!!! I have the Ultra and RunFree I am sure this is the one your husband wants- I really agonized over the $30 between the "one" "flex" and this force- glad I did.  I DO wear it to bed and its amazing how little I sleep ( I knew this of course but seeing it is quite compelling) I don't live with my phone or computer attached so having the display on my wrist has been a lot of fun.  Its a big big to wear and some say they fall off easy but mine has not fallen off at all yet (jinx)  I am sure in like a month they will come out with one with the heart rate monitor and then it will be a really great thing for more hard core athletes. They better have a trade-in allowance.   Did 16 flights of stairs today per the little device- it has an altimeter so knows when you are walking on an incline.  I think I am going to get my mom the cute little one thats mostly a pedometer that is 50bucks and she won't have to do any synching - considering she is on dial-up this is a very good thing.  

Its cold here in CA but not like the rest of the US- snowed today in Wyoming with more in the forecast- I look at it and think there is something to be said for working in high tax/no water CA 

• BUNKIE10
    edited February 2014

Josie - We got 8 inches Saturday. We have more than 19 already on the ground and another 4 coming tonight. Lets hope it will freeze out all the stinkin ants I fight every spring. My pine tree is the home of some carpenters and they love my house. Since I am sensitive to bug spray I have to use more natural stuff, They are hard to control. Hate critters.

• BUNKIE10
    edited February 2014

Kate - Thinking about you this morning. How are you feeling?

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited February 2014

Well BUNKIE stay safe that's a lot of snow.We are getting 3-6 inches today and the kids don't have school.I can't believe they called off school again. The kids were happy but why do they have to call so darned early? 5:30am.Then I don't really think I went back to sleep after that.Rough morning but did my 2 hours at work and back home for the rest of the day.

WYO, I thought the fit bit did do your Heart rate.I'm going to wait till they do have that before I get one.

Kate, how are you? When are they going to release you?

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited February 2014

Kate, glad your surgery went well and hope you are feeling better!

Snow, snow and more snow round here. We had 6 inches yesterday, expecting another 7-11 tonight and on Sunday, perhaps a foot? Ugh...so sick of it. It was 13 degrees on my way to work today but the snow was sure pretty cause it was on all of the trees and none of it melted.

Everyone, hope you are all well and warm and dry! xoxo I am at work and have to run!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited February 2014

Ladies after reading all your posts I am amazed at how bad the weather is for almost all of you.  Wow, a lot of snow and ice and really poor traveling conditions.  We are dry here, but for weeks have had terrible fog, cold temps, high humidity and dreary every day.  This week we drop down again to 'highs' in the teens and single digits overnight.  The good news the sun has been out for the past few days and that glorious miracle orb in the sky makes me so happy!

I just wanted to pop in and say hello.  I have actually been busy lately.  DH and I are walking every day almost 3 miles at a small but indoor mall.  It is far too cold to walk outside, and his emphysema/COPD he simply can't walk in the cold.  So doing that every day and then working on home cleaning projects.  Spring cleaning early.  He is sick now and I worry like crazy, but hoping he can get past this cold and sinus problem before it gets any worse.  His poor lungs just can't take it.

Anyway just popped in to say hello to everyone.  I know I am bad about keeping up but I think of all of you and hope better days are ahead for all.

Love you and thinking of you!  :)

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2014

hi Janis, Good to hear from you.  Been making an cake balls?  Congrats on the walking, 3 miles is awesome....you go girl

• wyo
    edited February 2014

Josie- hold off on the fitbit if you want a heart rate monitor its not there yet- once it is I bet it will really take off.  I love the sleep part more than anything.  Tamoxifen has exaggerated what was already a very restless sleep pattern for me so being able to track is quite good to see how long I am in bed and how much I am actually sleeping. 

My son lives in NYC and says they are supposed to get slammed with a storm this weekend- ugh

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited February 2014

Wyo  lost my Fitbit this evening.  I had it in the car.  Can't find it anywhere. Suspect I dropped it outside the car and someone picked it up.  I had theFlexwith the iffy band.  Darn it!

• wyo
    edited February 2014

oh man!!!! the force has the same band.  Is it possible it was dark and if you move the seat you can find it??

When I was reading reviews and rants- I saw on amazon that you can contact fitbit customer svc but I don't know what they actually "do" about it when you loose it.  I am getting slightly OCD about mine checking it a lot and worrying about it sigh.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited February 2014

My daughter told me if you report it lost, they will replace it.  I reported it.  I will let you know. Mine was a Force too.  If you go online and go to help, they give hints on how to better secure your band.  I will let you know if I hear anything.

• joan811
    edited February 2014

wyo, It sounds like you lived in Wyoming but are now in CA...advantages to both, I think!  CA weather has been crazy this past year...hot, cold, drought...I hope the rains come and are gentle...not all at once!  My grandson lives in Manhattan and has to commute by subway and bus to the Bronx every day.  He has had enough snow.  We are waiting for a blast of snow in a few hours, followed by sleet, on top of the snow, and then rain.  The rain may help clear some snow but this evening it could all freeze and glaze the cars...I work from 8 am to 9 pm on Wed. so am just wondering if I should pack a sleeping bag. 
    Bunkie, I cannot even imagine having that much snow hanging around.  I am not sure if the ants will die or be insulated...I had carpenter ants in my skylight...and they have a symbiotic relationship with aphids.  So I had gigantic ants and mega-aphids falling onto my kitchen counter for a summer.  We had the skylights replaced and they have not been back.  Hate bugs in the house.  and sometimes outside too. 
    How are you feeling this week?  My DD just got off steroids after 10 years for Crohns and she feels pretty depleted.  I don't know the answer for her. 

Yes, we are supposed to get the biggest storm yet on Sunday/Monday. Not another Monday cancellation...
    I expect my March spring break will be spent making up classes.  I can't make any plans yet.

Janis, it is good to hear from you.  I am sorry that DH is still sick.  It is definitely a worry...whatever is going around is stubborn and unforgiving.  I am glad to hear you are getting out and keeping mobile.  And even though you are colder there, at least the sun is out!  Please don't stay away so long....missed you!

Josie, ugh that storm is relentless.  I am sitting up here waiting for the snow to start...
    How is it working out with your extra few hours per week?  I hope it helps although from my experience, when you are at work, the work "expands" to fill the time.  I hope it is less stressful this week.

Sew, how are things in your area of CA?  Are you getting any rain?  How is your SIL doing? 
    I am really looking forward to my next trip to SFO area.  I can't plan anything until my semester make up days are assigned.  My DS who lives in SFO is house-shopping.  He bid on a stand-alone renovated condo in Berkeley and prices are ridiculous.  He was pre-approved then his bank decided they didn't like the condo corporation so they withdrew the approval.  Everything for a reason...

It is my Chicago DS's birthday (well, it was the 4th).  I miss him a lot.  He was going out with friends and I see it is snowing again.  I hope he is home safely by now.  He has a girlfriend and a few good friends which is good because winters are long and the social scene slows to a crawl.  He has had enough of the cold and wants to eventually move to CA (he thinks) which is fine with me...2 kids on the coast would be great.

No word from Kate today?  Hope all is well.

Gigi, what a bummer to lose the fitbit...I hope you get a replacement.  How's your weather??  Go ahead, tell, I can take it.

Time to try to sleep....for 4 hours.  Josie, I would not mind if my job called me at 5:30 to tell me not to go out in the cold and ice ... I have to check on line though so setting the alarm.

Let's hope the power stays on. 

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited February 2014

It's a snow day here.  We're expecting 6 -10 inches.  I'm planning a day by the woodstove, which doubles as my paper "shredder."