Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited March 2014

Joan I am totally motivated about getting rid of the drugs. Before I knew it I got addicted. I hadn't taken pain meds in over 30 years an d the next minute I am addicted. This week we are cuttingt back from 40 mg of Oxycontin twice a day to 40 mg once a day aqnd 30 mg once a day. My pain management doctor said it will take 2 to 6 months to get rid of them.

Joan when you mentioned what to do regarding a vacation and mentioned California I have my fingers, and toes crossed that you will choose Southern California. Believe it or not I think we would have a lot in common. For one I love NewYork. When I was young my father had a sales meeting every year in the Catskills and Dad would go tohis meetings and mom and I would go to theater and shopping. If I remember correctly you went back to school late, but not as late as I. I graduated college when I was 53.

Maybe Sew and I am pretty sure Sab who has a brother here) would come to a reunion here. Maybe we could drag our beloved Bunkie here, who used to live in Venice. For any of my Jewish friends this would be a Mitzvah( spelling).

Joan I am glad you are taking things a little easier and I am glad you lost 15 pounds. Good for you. I was 110 most of my life. Then I quit smoking before I got any cancer and gained 15 pounds to 125. tHEN BREAST CANCER TOOK me to 135, and now lymphedema has me at 150. Because of all the swelling I probably amonly 130. Unfortunately when I lose weight it comes from my face 

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Gemini I totally agree with you about Cindy and her posts. She is just so charming and witty She could write a great column. Now that you mention her I hope hubby is doing well. Sending good vibes, margaritas and prayers. Let us know how you are doing. The caregiver needs to take care of herselrf. so if hubby is doing good maybe a mani-pedi amd more margaritas.

Genini I am glad you joined weight watchers. Going with a friend is the best.

Brookside I am sorry you have to think about an end of rads anniversary. Why not just think of it as the birtday of meeting new friends.

Josie I didn't think there were so many ignorant people in the world, but some of the people that you have bumped into are so totally disgusting. She only wishes she was as cute as you are . Let alone beautiful on the inside too.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited March 2014

Gemini- from braces to boobs! :) We are also both in the NE where it is still COLD!! dang. I am going to look into WW today, I know they have meetings very close to me.

wyo- Your video didn't work. The Cleveland Clinic is where I am treated and I love it, I feel blessed to be so close to such a great care facility.

Kate- I hope you are feeling better and can get out a bit. Sounds to me like you have all your priorities in order, family and friends. :)

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited March 2014

Hi Ladies,

Have so much reading to do. I got through about 3 pages and have 4 more. Thanks everyone for the support. I did manage to stop on a few with questions. Let me say my drs are stumped because it may not be my normal disease flaring. Apparently the steroids are not enough to hold down some of my issues. Got some blood work back that was not too bad but still need to do that brain MRI. My new endo is on a real quest for some answers because even he admits nobody should feel this bad for this long and not get some answers. I guess I need Dr House.Sad It has been a horrible depressing winter. We have a bit more snow coming I hear and then we can kiss it goodby. I saw a Robin yesterday and under the snow a few buds are trying to come up. Yeah!!! There is a woodpecker that my mom used to listen for every spring and I heard him this week. I could hear my mom saying "There is my woodpecker. Spring is here"  I hired a new yard man to care for my flower beds and I need some cement work done. The deep cold has broken some of my patio etc. Always something. We have been very lucky so far to not have all the snow melt at 1 time. I have had a few puddles in the basement but nothing major....yet.Happy

Kate thanks for the strong words about being down and depressed. I agree and I am doing some better. I even made a few appts with my shrink. My cousin called and he had a attorney thing to go do in Ann Arbor this week end. He and his wife have a 14 year old and they were not having any luck with the normal group that stay with her. They live an hour from me. So I invited their daughter to come stay with me. She was so excited. For some reason she thinks I am cool because I lived in Ca and my decor in my home is mostly that style. It was a good move because she has been fun. I also got in my car the other day....dizzy and all and drove to the bookstore. I spent an hour in there and bought a few new books. The drive was a challange but I stayed off the main roads and in 1 lane. Last two weeks of April I will be at my cousins so they can do the plumbing....finally. They were going to do it this winter but could not open the windows for ventilation with the cold so we waited. When I come back my friend from Cali is coming for about 2-3 mos. He likes to get away from the heat in LA during the summer. Lots to look forward to.  

You all have been so busy. I will come back in and read some more when I can.

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2014

Bunkie, so good to hear that your cousin's daughter's visit was able to shake things up in a positive way for you. This brutal winter will be over at some point in the near future, and knowing you have the good plans ahead will help you through it. Keep taking those baby steps!

My daughter (also 14) will be going to camp in Michigan (Interlochen) this summer. We are going to drive her out, which will be an adventure. I attended one summer there as a teen, so I will be excited to see the campus again and to show my husband and daughter this part of the country that they've never visited. On the "hand" of Michigan, Interlochen is on the upper pinky finger.  It's a magical place. 

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited March 2014

Gemini, I just checked out Interlochen--it looks wonderful!  I love the idea of all those different artsy kids in one place in the summer.  Which one of the camps will your daughter be attending, I mean what's her particular artistic interest?  My daughter is 16 and is a terrific creative writer.  She has applied for a creative writing camp in Virginia and we are expecting to hear on Monday, and she will also get her SAT scores that day.  Nail-biter!

• RunFree16
    edited March 2014

Great to hear from you Bunkie, and it's also great that you're keeping yourself as busy and active as you can, and looking toward the future.  I'm so glad you have a doctor who is determined to solve some of your riddles!  A lively girl and a bookstore both sound like good medicine.  It will be amazing to get the plumbing fixed at last.  Shoots of green, spring birds--life is beautiful, even when it's hard.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2014

Kate, I think you echo many women who have been through life interruptions.  When you add BC, and in your case, a new cancer, you enter the great unknown and learn the art of living one day at a time.  You are doing it well...I like that you have some plans now that there is a promise of feeling better.  I think we are similar in our college careers...I went back to school in the early 1990s -   I was 51 and a grandmother when I got my BS degree.  Stayed on for MS after that.  I never attended a formal graduation ceremony.  My department had a nice ceremony and reception for our small group.

My yard is snow-free this week.  I walked a few miles in our wildlife refuge today and almost all the ice on the pond is melted.  Soon the ducklings will hatch, the tadpoles will appear, and the catfish will swim.  [The deer won't be there because every deer for miles around is in my yard eating my shrubs.]   I think we will all feel a little better when we see spring flowers in bloom.

Bunkie, I am glad you have things to look forward to.  Have you considered the effects that the house is having on your health?  I hope that more time outside and an eventual move will bring improvement. 

Gemini, that camp sounds wonderful.  Wish they had camp for adults...

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2014

Hi y'all

Gemini - ah, the magic of the pinkie of MI...Crystal Lake, Sleeping Bear Dunes, the Besty, Cherries, and the arts...we would go in August...kids could run all over fun:) swimmers itch ugh!  My best golf scores in MI Frankfurt Honor Travis...Charlioux :)

Bunkie - yeah, company ...teenage girl fun times:) that mysterious time in our lives...the world opening. Spring is here! Fingers&toes crossed for a dry basement.

RunFree - nail biter is right!  Sounds like fun times...driven creative potential:)))

Lemon - ha ha braces to boobs to braces...I did braces Sr yr and then college ugh:(( head gear who wears head gear in college? What were my parents thinking...oldest gets them last...oh well look great and worth it! Fingers&toes crossed for next procedure. 

Kate - :D is that suitcase packed...upbeat you are already making plans...I'll be back late June for MRI and bone scan and blood panel...maybe we can all play! SAB, Joan, Sew, Bunkie...cheap flights always to Las Vegas but oh so hot...SoCal beach time :)

Joan - Ooo who what fun! Adventures...Spring Break!!! Playtime...than you can mull over that new contract and your options.

Josie - WW :) can't believe that rude comment...but WW appears to be the new rad trend...so a good thing. Will be looking for y'all dancing on tv commercial for WW...:D

House is quite right now! Everyone is out...hubby napping...play list on :))) got to dance get my steps in.

Shouts out to all!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2014

BUNKIE, glad to hear from you.So glad you got out and about a little Bookstores are great aren't they?

Kate, glad to hear your doc will be declining your dose on the pain meds.Thanks for the nice comments.

Gemini, sounds like a great summer camp for your daughter.

Joan, good for you going to college so late  and  a great career .Sounds like you had a great walk.

Cindy, sounds like hubby is resting quietly.He must have a great nurse.Thanks for the encouragement on WW. I didn't sleep last night too well I was up at least 4 times .I'm not sure why.I know my bladder was empty when I went to bed.

Just finished watching gravity with my hubby.It is a great movie.And it's a rare opportunity to be able to sit down and watch a whole movie with him.He works tonight but no calls just yet.He has the tow truck at home and running calls from the house.My DD is having a sleepover tonight with her friend.We got pizza now movies.

Happy evening everyone.

Oh yeah, I got my haircut today. Maybe I'll post a picture later.Not great haircut but it will do for now and was free since my stylist is trying to pay off her bill at my hubby s work.Bartering services is good for me.She was just kind of rushed today.

• joan811
    edited March 2014

Cindy, glad to hear things are quiet and going well at your house....I can picture you dancing!

Josie, I love bartering!  I had a haircut this week...it is still in "shock" meaning it won't really bend properly...kind of straight.  I hope your haircut falls into place exactly where you want it.
    I also had the comment "are you having another one?" from a guy at my church.  I had a big family so I guess it just made sense to him.  But there are several phrases you don't say to any woman...and "are you pregnant" or "when are you due" are at the top of the list.  Even if you think you are sure....don't say it!!!!!!!!

We saw Gravity in the movies (3-D) and I thought the effects were amazing.  I don't ever like to be nervous or scared while watching a movie but I didn't mind that so much. 

Run, I hope the SATs bring smiles ... such a stressful time waiting! 

Loving this extended 4 day week end...hard to believe tomorrow is the last day off.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Lemon and anyone else after me the pace was too fast tonight. Maybe because tonight is th first night I'm dropping from 80 mg of Ocycontin to 70 mg of Oxycontin. I think the best way to drop is in the mddle of the night.

Bunkie I am thrilled that you are going to be going to a shrink. A big move to make and a move you needed to make.  Your cousin thinks you are cool, because you really are cool. So glad you picked up new books. I wish I would have started that with my 10 mg drop of Oxycontin. Geez i didn't plan anything for it except to start in the middle of the night, and email folks in the middle of the night. Another great thing for you is your friend coming to visit for 2-3 months. Hallelulah!!!!!!. Sounds as good as a year long trip to Europe for me. I am so very happy for you. OMG you needeed a break and you are going to have one. I am beyond stoked that good stuff is headed your way.

Joan we both went back to school in the same year 91.

Cindy all of us meeting up in Vegas sounds too good to be true as long as the weather cooperates.It does sound like hubby is resting quietly, and I am glad. You can only take so much of this stuff.

Josie my first decline in Opoids is tonight. Thanks so much for asking. I am stocked with anti nausea meds such as Ondansetron hcl 8 mg. It is 1:20 am here now amd I don't need to take the 30 mg Oxycontin till 3 am. With that I can take 150 mg of trasodone, so maybe this first time I can just sleep right through it. I have a nurse coming here at 1 pm to give me an enema, so we shall see how this all works out. . I hope everyone has a great Sunday it is supposed to be 70 degrees here/. Oh well if I can't fall asleep I think I will go to CVS 2 blocks away. I saw a glittery bottle of OPI  or Essie nail polish that I want. 

• BUNKIE10
    edited March 2014

Thanks for the support everyone. Doing ok this morning and I see some sun out there. Thank you God!!! I could be living in Seattle with all this dark we had this winter. Bet my Vit d is at 0. Do not laugh it was at 7 in Dec. They gave me some pills but it caused the kidney stones. I can not wait to go sit in the sun for a bit. That is the best way to get it.

My little cousin had me up till 1am last night talking and laughing. She is adopted like me and a mixed race child like me so I could offer some insight to certain things bothering her. She shared so much that she does not tell her mom and I took the code of silence on most stuff. She is really doing great overall and I am hoping she will go to MSU. We watched the game last night and were both just yelling at the tv. One of the players is the son of my high school BFF and she has a little crush on him so I was the cool aunt again. Knowing someone famous....haha. It also made me realize how much of a stuck rut I have been in the last 2 years with the cancer and everything else. All I do is sleep and worry. Yikers.

Joan - yes I have looked at the house as an issue. I have someone coming in when I am gone next month to do an overall air test after they do the plumbing. Even a tiny seepage of gas from my furnace could cause some real issues. Add in the basement molds you never know what is affecting me. Most winters I have been able to get out more so this one hit hard. If I did not have really good hepa filters in 4 of my rooms I would probably be worst.

Kate thanks for the support again. You know I was on the opids back in 03 when I first got sick..after my lung surgery. I had the same bowel issues and swelling too. I also got adicted very fast and started with a shrink at that time. They had to wean me off and it took about 3 mos to stop all the meds. So glad you are going to start to drop the dose. I loved that Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds feeling they gave me but man they are hard to kick. As my pain got better I was able to stop them. Yes I am looking forward to my boy toy coming for a visit. He is going to bring his dog this time we think so I will have a house full of life. His family is from Argentina so he is a great grill master. Can not wait to get outside more. i felt like a dog in a shelter cage all winter. I am so glad you will be able to come to see your family in Chicago soon. I love Chicago.

Gemini - I have been to Interlochen a few times and all the quaint areas Mi has to offer. I used to spend my summers in Grand Haven with my cousin and aunt that lived there. we took many trips up north as the call it. So much fun. So amny small towns on the lake with great mom and pop resturants. We had a cottage on the lake for many years and took the mini tour all around the state. There is place in Baldwin with the best ice creme they say in the state. Been there many times. Wish my dad was still alive so I could ask him the names of all those places.

Josie - I have always been a bookstore gal. I love to just roam around them and find magazines for other states and countries. Ours has a Starbucks now.

The best news is that Whole Foods is groundbreaking next week and will be opening this year here. I am so excited about finally getting some real organics to this place. No more going to 5 stores to check out a 2 foot area for organic stuff. Yeah!!!

I would love to be out that way and meet everyone for lunch. I miss Cali so much. We will see. You never know.....

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Geez Bunkie, IK am so glad to have you thinkiking anf talking posirive again. A boy toy sounds winderful. Doe he have a brother? I could use one too?

Bunkie, if you don't mind telling me how  did they wean you off. Were you completley deoendent on enemas. Today I driopped from 80 mg of oxycontin to 70 mg of oxycontin. I did not feel any withdrawal symptoms at all. I might not have revealed withdrawasl symptims brcasue I did it in the middle of the night

It is so  wonderful that you are taking active steps to feel better. I can just see us on the venice beach waslk having a blast. I will do everything in my power to meet you there and i hope you will do thre same,. You have been an inspiration for me. Keep up the good work I a,m so proud of you.

• joan811
    edited March 2014

Bunkie, glad you are having the house checked out...but more glad that you will get out more.
    You time with your little cousin is priceless for her, and maybe you too. It's great that she can confide in you. 

I love the Las Vegas idea...it can be quite affordable and fun with some freebies thrown in.
    Why not!

I went to church early, graded papers all morning, then cooked some quinoa patties to take to work.  Am going to find some warm weather clothes...DD and I are supposed to go to Florida for a quick trip...now she isn't sure if she can leave work...I can go anyway...am deciding.  Meanwhile, must be prepared since back to work tomorrow and the grueling schedule allows for lttle flexibility.

Hope everyone is seeing some nice spring weather....we are expecting accumulating snow Tuesday/Wednesday. Not sure how much.  I don't mind...

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2014

Joan, I guess my haircut is just so different and short It'll take a little getting used to.

Sounds like your going to Forida for spring break.You going to meet up with GGil while your down there?

You went to church today.Hope you prayed for me.We missed church this morning.I guess I slept in a little.It was like 9am before I woke up.I guess I was catching up on sleep a little.It's like 1 night I sleep well then the next 2-3 I'm not sleeping very well.Thanks Tamoxofin.

BUNKIE, with a bookstore like that who would want to leave? I love myself some coffee.But Starbucks is very rich and kind of bitter..Once in a while I treat myself.Our Target has a Starbucks in it.

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2014

RunFree -- my DD will be doing the musical theatre program. She already has her sights set on the singer/songwriter program when she is old enough to be in the high school division next year. She got. Guitar for Christmas and is kind of obsessed with it ... In a healthy way!  Yes, interlochen is a magical gathering of artsy and musical kids of all types ... The summer I spent there in the 70s was magic ... I was surrounded by "my people". ;-). They didn't have a writing program back then, but now they have it along with filmmaking. So cool. I hope your daughter gets in to her program!  

Joan, there are "camps" for adults!  My sister and her husband attend a weeklong bluegrass camp in Nashville called Nash Camp. It's a weeklong program, and it ends with a live performance.  Berklee College of Music also has summer workshops for adults.  Not exactly the same as the campfire setting, but similar in that you're joining others away from home in a learning program.  I'm sure there are other types of vacation camps around the country that are centered around learning something ... Eg cooking, yoga, etc.  We're not too old!  ;-)

Cindy, love all those spots you mentioned in he pinky of MI. When I attended camp there as a kid, I had not yet seen the ocean (I lived in St. Louis -- hi Josie!!!). We visited Point Betsy and the lake looked just like what I imagined the ocean to be. (Now I live maybe ten miles from Boston Harbor and the Atlantic.)

Bunkie, you mentioned the vitamin D pills gave you kidney stones. I wonder if that was from fillers in the pills ... Would drops be better?  Just a thought. 

Kate, glad to hear you're on an official weaning schedule with the pain meds. This might sound kooky, so forgive me ... But I wonder if a high colonic would be helpful?  I'd of course ask your doctor. There are likely practitioners in your area that offer this. Just to get a good cleaning out and perhaps encouraging things to "get going."

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Gemini my GI specialist offered me a high colonic cleaning over a month ago, but I turned it down. I didn't want anything that paiinful.

OMG congratuaklations or Mazel Tov are in order. After continuing to work on withdrawing from 80 mg of Oxycontin to 70 mg of Oxycontin lo amd behold I had a normal size bowel movement glory hallelijah!!!!!!!!! The night before I took 2 tablespoons of milk of Magnesia and 1 serving of Miralax. Wahoo it felt good to release poop the old fashion way.

Tonight my daughter is working on getting my airline tickets and hotel reservations

I am stoked I can't wait to get out of here for at least 5 days. Then 2 months later Michael, my ason will come here. Wahoo things are looking up;..

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited March 2014

Awww Kate, yay for a good BM hahahahahahaha!!!  You make me laugh.  You are going to have a great time with your daughter.  Happy for you!

• rmlulu
    edited March 2014

KATE - Ooo who...way to GO!  Movement au natural...whew relief!

Life is moving and looking so good! No chemical haze...tickets...Chicago...here you go!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• BUNKIE10
    edited March 2014

Kate - I was on percocet and vicodin. Tons of vicodin. They took me down 20% a month. It was really hard. I think your 80mgs is like 500 of vicodin. So I was on 1000. It can give you liver faliure. I was breaking pills in half. Enemas did not help me much. They had to put me in the overnight ER and manually unplug me. I know TMI but trying to make a point. That is when they decided to get me off them. It gave me a lot of depression.  It took about 3 mos and I had all the withdrawl symptoms. The one thing I got all the time was the shakes and confusion. I could not concentrate and I was cold. That took longer than the pills to shake. That was when I learned I was lactose intolerant so I would go to Jamba Juice and get smoothies. That and those supositories helped too. Just keep dropping the dose slowly. If you start to get the shakes stay warm. Thanks for the kind words. You are really my hero...you are going through so much. Makes me think my stuff is really no big deal. If I can get a handle on this adrenal/thyroid stuff I will be fine. My boy toy is 19 years younger than me....haha. His brother is even younger and not worth a look. He has been my biggest supporter and was with me for the 6 mos I had the BC fight.

gemini - The Vit D is a problem because of my other autoimmune disease. Sarcoidosis. It is the only disease that creates too much vit d in the body so they have to check my active and inactive both. There is a real delicate balance between too much and not enough for me. Too much I get stones. Too little it causes all other issues. When they found the BC my doctor said my reg vit d was just 7. For a normal person that would be close to non exsistant...yet my dr specialist said I was ok. I can take the stuff the drs give me but nothing over the counter.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Big D Cindy, and Bunkie thatnks so much for the support. A natural poop made ,e so happy I judst krepy staring at is as if you would if your child asked you to see his poop lol. I sure hope this cointinues. I love Dancing with the stars and I keep on getting up to dance all of the dances unless they are terrible. So let the dancing continue lol. Cincy, Bid D, and Bunkie you are all my heroes. Cincy to be the medical recepient one year and then the caregiver the next with that great sense of humor is too much for anyone, Bumkie to have gone througth all that you do and still have you sanity is a feat in itself. BIGD you have gone through a heck of a lot of stuff. Trying to hide it and supportintg others. You are my hero too

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited March 2014

Big congratulations, Kate.  Keep up the good work!  Chicago dreams.

Isn't Vegas the cheapest destination of any (plane, hotel)?  I'm on board with a nice long weekend there. Or probably anywhere.

• hobbesla4
    hobbesla4 Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2014

Hello,

I hope that everyone is doing well.  I have a question, if you don't mind.  I finished radiation during the first week of January 2014.  Today I went to the surgeon's office for a re-check.  I have been having some type of internal pain in the breast that was radiated for about 2-3 weeks now.  Upon his examination, he said that it was edema caused by radiation and that he did not know when/if this would subside.  It is quite painful some times.

I was wondering if any of you have experienced this after radiation and what, if anything, has been helpful to you.

Thank you,

Jan Coker

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited March 2014

Welcome, Hobbesla,  and congratulations on having rads way back in the rear view mirror! 

Do ask the surgeon for a referral to a lymphedema therapist, a physical therapist who specializes in all the swelling stuff that can happen after surgery.  She can reduce the swelling and teach you how to keep it under control until it decides to just slink away all by itself.  As a bonus, I found these wonderwomen can mobilize scar tissue so it doesn't get hard and pinned down, and can give great advice on lots of helpful movements/exercises/strategies.  You could also try posting on the lymphedema forum for more info. 

I found my nipple swelled just as radiation started, and a year out, it's still pretty squishy.  I did have two lumpectomies, one above, and one below the nipple, and the scars practically join, so probably some pathway has been affected.

• LiLi-RI
    LiLi-RI Member Posts: 160
    edited March 2014

Hi Jan! Congrats on finishing rads. I finished in October, and I am still experiencing nerve pain in my breast and at SNB site. My BS has me on neurotin for the nerve pain. She said it takes months for nerve pain to decline. The neurotin is working for me so far, but still tender to the touch. I would ask about it. Lisa

• rmlulu
    edited March 2014

Welcome Jan - agree with Brookside ask for RX to see LE PT specialist.  It makes a big difference and helps be proactive on ROM & LE. Rule out source of pain and discomfort...edema is uncomfortable. Also consider a Lebed class to help increase flow of lymphatic system:)

I have trunk and arm LE...RX keeps it under control also check out LE threads for exercise and massage drainage techniques.

Kate - keep moving!  Yeah movement...flush ha ha!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2014

Hobbesia, congrats on finishing.  I know this pain can seem endless, but I agree with Brookside and RMlulu ..some gentle LE massage techniques will help you tremendously.  Most surgeons, some MOs and most ROs don't recognize that most of the nerve pain is actually from mild lymphadema.  Yes, there's edema, and I've still got it 2 1/2 years out, but it's not painful with the massage.  Lili-ri, I don't know if you've been seen by a specialist LE therapist, but it might just get you off those pain meds.  Oh, and Hobbesia,  those sharp shooting pains that last a second and take your breath away will subside on their own over time.  They're the nerve endings waking up and objecting....at least mine were.  Good luck

• RunFree16
    edited March 2014

Hobbesla/Jan, so sorry about the pain.  I was told I had a bit of edema in my radiated breast, and that freaked me out, but most recently there was no evidence of it.  I agree that some LE physical therapy is a great investment of time and co-pays.  They can teach you massage moves that will help keep the lymphatic fluid draining properly.  

Kate, I'm as happy about your poop as I was when I had little babies and checked their diapers constantly--remember that?!?  Things are really looking up for you.  You are SO due for that, and for this trip to Chicago and later a visit from your son.

Just venting:  all our snowbanks are still over 6 feet tall, we still have nearly 2 feet of snow on the level, and it was below zero again this morning and will be for the next two mornings.  Everybody is so darn sick of it.  However, I'm going to Philadelphia for a quick conference this weekend, where it will be in the 60s, and the weather here is going to zoom up to the 40s and rainy and then stay in the 40s all next week, so we're told.  So I'm telling myself that once I get on that plane, it will be spring--right?

• joan811
    edited March 2014

Run, glad you are getting a change of scenery.  Maybe you will see green grass.  We are awaiting a little bit of snow overnight...just enough to make me clean off my car and feel cold.

Kate, it's the little things in life that make us smile...glad you are feeling better.

Jan, I agree with the benefits of an LE therapist.  I had some swelling on the radiated side.  After rads, my surgical side went down steadily.  I also became aware of internal tenderness and some sharper pains.  It was all a process of letting the breast go back to a normal state.  For me, it took 2 weeks to calm down the skin and swelling...but it took more weeks for it to continue to "shrink".  I have had tenderness for 2 years in the scar tissue.  but only if I touch it.  If you have true lymphodema, you may have chronic issues that can indeed be helped with correct massage.

Brookside, I'm in for a Vegas trip...it is usually a bargain.  Or, if it's just the northeastern ladies, we can go to Foxwoods.  (not as much of a bargain)...any meeting would be fun.

Time for sleep...long days, short sleep.
    Josie, I am thinking your hair look great...just have to get used to it.  And it grows back! 
    Of course, I remember my BC sisters in prayer. 

Janis, are you lurking/reading?  Come back!
    Sending good thoughts to all who post or read here.