Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2014

Josie, I am so glad you got that feedback from your co-worker.  I am sure that helped a lot.  As for your supervisor and her supervisor, it sounds like they are in cahoots.  The best thing you can do is what someone awhile back said and kill them with kindness.  Just do your job, be positive constantly and let them think you are buying what they tell you hook, line and sinker until the day when you get another job and can hand them your notice.  If you know you are just playing the game, it gives you a sense of power.  It isn't right for them to be treating you this way, but they obviously can get away with it.  In the meantime you are playing it smart and that puts you in control.  I can relate to what everyone is saying about brain fog.  Most of us have had a long winter and a delayed spring.  The sun hasn't been shining and giving us good weather to allow us to get out and soak up that healing vitamin D from the sun's rays.  That always seems to help.  Top that off with having to be at a job, perform to the best of your ability, and then living with the thought that we are never really done with this breast cancer thing, and of course you are tense.  Take good care of yourself in every way you can.  Enjoy your time away from work and when you have to be there, make a conscious effort to take it all on your own terms, as much as you can.  

Kate, it would be nice if you did have someone to keep us informed when you are not up to it, so we can know how you are doing.  And you do need more nursing care than you are getting.  Insurance should approve of that.  You need the help.  

Joan, Brookside, Bunkie I haven't felt as effective or energetic as I was,  previous to all of this, and there is definitely an anxiety component that I am continuously fighting.  I work hard every day at staying positive and motivated.  It is my mission, and not just my way of being.  It used to be so much easier, before all of this breast cancer stuff.  Cindy, you seem to do pretty well at all of that.  I love reading your posts.

Bunkie, you and I both need to get rid of old houses.  Our garage was over run with mice this winter.  We are cleaning up their droppings and have been for three days.  We are 3/4 done, but it is scary.  We have to take precautions not to get any illness in the process.  It involves lots of spraying bleach and working tediously to get it all cleared away.  No sign that they got into the house, but oh how I hate mice!!  I can't bear to be anywhere near them.  They seem to have cleared out,  but we are getting rid of everything that was in their path.  In a garage that involves a lot of things, work benches, grow tables for our garden, pots, nails, you name it.  It is so discouraging and I can't wait to have everything clean and shining and ready for sale.  We are having new garage doors put on the house, so that should close any gaps that let the pests in.  Last year it was a new roof, and the year before that it was a new furnace and air conditioner as well as new bathroom fixtures.  It is ready to turn over to someone who can love it and occupy it.  We don't use it enough anymore, and the mice can't have it!!

Well, good night everyone.  Lemon, I hope you are doing well.  Janis, when is your surgery?  Soon, if I remember correctly.  Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2014

GIGIL, thanks for the advice, I will keep that in mind.I know my hubby wants to take the kids and I on a little vacation this summer and I hope we can plan that and get it in before I get a new job.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.Mice!!! Yuck!!Be careful.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2014

Lemon, you have been on my mind all week.  I hope the surgery went well and you will be up to posting very soon.  Sending you very gentle hugs.

Kate, in your pocket and I hope everything goes well for you.  You have so many friends here cheering you on, I know how much that helps.

Josie I know how stressful that job is, and I hope with all my heart it gets easier for you.  I know how hard it is to work in a hostile environment and you feel like every move you make is being scrutinized.  Hold your head up high and try hard not to show they are getting to you.  If you have confidence it will shine and they will be less inclined to find fault with everything you do.  Hang in there and stay strong.  Hugs!

I too have a lot of issues with concentration, drives me crazy.  I used to be an avid reader and now I have a terrible time trying to read.  It is very frustrating to say the least.  I have problems with memory as well.  My MO says that 'brain fog' is a SE of Arimidex.  I was surprised he admitted to it, but I had gone off gabapentin because I thought it was the culprit with the fog.  I went off it for months and no change at all.  I am back on it now, it is supposed to help with the night sweats and the pain. 

GiGil, my surgery is this coming Monday, the 12th.  It requires an overnight stay so I come home Tuesday.  I have a late surgery, 2:00 PM.  I have to be at the hospital at 11:30.  I will post when I get home. 

Shout outs to all, thinking of you and sending plenty of love and healing hugs. 

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Thanks Janis, I appreciate it.

We will be with you on Monday sweetie. 

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Roadtrip tp St.Genevieve , MO

Long tow snd hubby asked me to join him

Just drppped the vehicle and going to stop for lunch

ITS about 1 1/2jr drive.Beautiful weather too.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2014

Gigil- gross mice are disgusting. I think I posted earlier about this X friend who has a garage with God knows what pests in it. She has already been bitten by something and ended up in the ER. Don't know if it as a brown recluse or what. They also have a car shoved in there because Code Enforcement told them they could not park an inoperable car in their driveway for months on end which they did. They have had several visits from Code Enforcement. At least you are getting rid of your pests. Doubt they have. CE is very proactive in my town. Diane 

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Gigil, just thought of something

My kitty is a great mouser.Too  bad we dont live closer.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2014

Gigil - You are right about mice. Remember...... I had to sleep in a friends basement during the power outage at Christmas for 6 days. She had mice all in her basement and home. Made me crazy. There were droppings in the sofa and all her closets etc. I had a friend come over a set traps and we killed 6 of them in 1 night. I had nightmares after that for weeks. This is a girl who lost a sister to BC and is very careful about clean eating and organics etc....so you do all that and live with mice?

My plumbing job started out to be a little thing till they got into the walls and ceiling. OMG it was dripping contamination behind the walls of the closet down there. They had to gut the closet, big hole in the ceiling and take out a wall in the bathroom upstairs as well as the hallway. They had to replace the old stack for both floors and all the tub and toilet pipes. When they opened up the main pipe they got sick from the bacteria growing and so had to contain it all and work one area at a time. To think that it had NEVER been done really in a 1939 built home is remarkable but my dad was never one to do major work. He put duck tape on everything. Next I have to upgrade the electric and fix the flat roof. Then I can clean it up and list. The Realtor said if I did not do those things I would be giving it away. I am hoping that getting rid of all that bacteria in the walls will help me breath better. My cousins house is newer and although going through some remodeling also I feel better here.

Someone mentioned to me about having a epply maneuver done for my dizzy spells. I had it done 6 times before and it never worked. However while I was here my ENT that I never get to see sent me to his team to get another one done. Completely different this time. It managed to clean up some of the ear crystals that were messed up[ in my inner ear. They determined it is my right side that is messing me up and will have to do it again but I am not as bad as I was. They now have to retrain my brain because I have been dizzy for so long. That may take 6 mos of PT. Funny how finding a good Dr can help. I really do not want to stay in MI but if I do I need to get out of my smaller town for medical care. I also looked up my new psychologist and found her specialty is grief counseling....thank you. That has been my biggest problem for the last 3 years since my mom died. Things are looking up finally. 

• justmejanis
    edited May 2014

Bunkie I have followed your struggles for so long, you have had one very tough road.  All of your other health issues, then why not throw BC into the mix?  Add to that the loss of your parents, all the issues with the house.  It has been terribly difficult to say the least.  I am happy to read that things are looking up a bit.  I hope that continues to be the case and that you can remain positive and strong.  Grief counseling will help I am sure.  I lost my mother 15 years ago and it still hurts.  I think other than losing a child, there is no greater pain than the loss of a cherished mother.  Wherever you find a glimpse of hope, even a tiny little ray of sunshine, run with it.  Embrace it.  You are a beautiful woman and remind yourself of that often.  In one way or another, we all have a gift of spreading joy and hope and promise of a better tomorrow.  You matter, never lose sight of that!  Sending you big, happy hugs. 

• edwards750
    edited May 2014

Bunkie - I haven't followed your posts that long- btw what a sweet post from justmejanis but just wanted to add my hope that things continue to look up for you. I lost both my parents too. Makes it really tough to get through Mother's and Father's Day but somehow we manage. I miss them so. I think all of us have courage, strength and resolve we didn't know we had and have had to keep on counting on to get us through our difficult times. We are doing just that. Diane 

• gigil
    edited May 2014

Bunkie, the only thing that would bother me worse are mice in the house!  That would send me right over the edge!  I am so glad you are feeling a little better and getting some good medical care.  I can't wait for the day when you get to sell that house!  

Janis, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Your surgery should go smoothly and have you feeling much better afterward. 

Diane I lost my mom a year and a half ago and my dad five months ago.  I am going to run from one of my kids to the other over the weekend.  It will be a lot of driving, but I need to stay busy.  Losing mom was tough. Losing dad means i lost the two people who always kept track of my whereabouts and well being.  That feels lonely.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited May 2014

hi

I need to catch up when I get home I'm so much better today it's been worse than I imagined . But I am here alive and so blessed. Hugs to each of you. You all were noisy in my pocket for 12.5 hours! Thanks for being there, more when home.

• josie123
    edited May 2014

BUNKIE, glad to hear your doing well.

Busy evening but finally settled down a little.Track meet after school, awards ceremony for my daughter(presidential award). 

My hubby got his echocardiogram results today.He has 2 leaking valves.But the nurse practitioner said it was mild and They would just keep an eye on it.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2014

lemon...woohoo..home again, now let the full healing begin.  And Lemon, we did have a wonderful time cheering you on, but we'll be quiet now so you can get some sleep....or we will as soon as Cindy stops stepping on my foot.

Janis...you ready for us?  Got huge pockets?  We're just getting good at all this pocket party stuff...

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2014

So good to hear from you, Lemon.  Ohhh, I sure hope you get feeling oodles better very, very soon.  Gee whiz, home and your own bed (or will you do a recliner?) has sure got to be looking good right now.  Rest up, feel better, heal quickly, watch all those TV shows that magically recorded themselves while you were in the hospital.  Looking forward to your next posting.

How are you, Kate?  Hoping your stent procedure went smoothly and you're about to have a lovely weekend. 

Thinking of you, Gigil:  I just plopped myself down on my couch and something was flopping around in the attic above the ceiling.  Bigger than a mouse, I think.  Sounded more like a bird, although why a bird would go into a dark space is beyond me.  Anyway, I am not going up there to check it out. 

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Lemon, so glad to hear from you.Gentle hugs(( )) .Rest up and let them wait on you.

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited May 2014

Lemon, good to hear from you.  It will be all uphill from here -- just take it slow and easy.

Kate, thinking of you as well.  I pray you are getting some relief from this procedure!

Janis, I am snuggling into your pocket with all the others!

GigiL and Bunkie, sending you both big hugs!  I will be thinking of my DM this Sunday, lost her nearly 40 years ago and I the pain is still right there in my heart.  I was fresh out of college when she passed from cancer and never had the chance to take care of her and spoil her as I had planned to, but God has his plan for us all and he wanted his angel back with Him!

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms here.  Have a blessed weekend.

• edwards750
    edited May 2014

I am so sorry Gigil...I used to call my mother every day just to chat a bit. I worked FT so I would call her when I got home and visit she and my Dad at least for a little while on the weekend. This weekend is going to be tough. You lost your parents so recently I know the hurt is still really fresh. Its really hard to pass by the Hallmark cards for Mother's Day not to mention the endless advertisements for gifts for Mom. I am a mother too - 5 to be exact and soon to be 9 grandchildren. I know I am blessed but its so hard when I think about calling my mother for advice and I can't. I never realized what a tough job it is to be a mother/parent. There were 7 children in my family. How my mother did it w/o being confined to a psychiatric hospital is beyond me. So my suggestion would be revel in the wonderful memories you had with your Mom and Dad. It does help. Diane

Happy Mother's Day ladies! Hope everyone has a memorable and happy one!

• justmejanis
    edited May 2014

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there.  I know many of you have family nearby so I hope you are able to get together and do something special.  I always miss my mom during these holidays and have to avoid the card aisles in the stores.  My dear friend Corrinne passed away in October.  She was very special to me, my 'other mother' and although we lived in different states we never lost touch.  Last summer when I went to Colorado she was one of the main reasons I went.  She has always had a compromised immune system and terrible lung issues due to severe allergies.  She was in the hospital for her breathing problems and then moved to a rehab place for PT.  I had a feeling I needed to go and I was so glad I did.  I surprised her and she was overjoyed.  We only had about 3 hours together but it was so special.  This is the first year I have not shopped for a Mother's Day card as I always sent her one. 

Enjoy it, embrace the love dear friends!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2014

Janis and Edwards - Thanks for the kind words. It has been a tuff ride at times but like I said things are looking up. I was already going through hell when I got BC but it has taught me how strong I really am. 

Gigil - Good luck with that mouse thing. Nasty critters they are. I got a lot of other stuff wrong but not that....so far. My contractor did have to go up to my attic/crawl space to run the new plumbing stack for the house and he said there were 3 birds up there. Sparrows that pecked out the mesh over the openings in my house. So that is another thing to look into. It just keeps going.

Lemon - I have to read about what you had done but at least you are coming home? I think. 

• gigil
    edited May 2014

Brookside, I can only imagine how your cringed hearing the noise over your head.  I think sometimes it can be a squirrel.  They are able to get into such tiny spaces and make so much noise!!  Hope it just goes away and you don't have to deal with it.  We have about 3/4 of the garage cleaned now.  It has taken all week, and we thought we could get the whole house done in that time frame.  Wishful thinking.  As the days go on my husband is getting less and less careful with the droppings.  I keep having to remind him.  We will be ready for a break from each other when he goes to work tomorrow.  I will be glad to get a break from shredding and burning and trying to decide what to do with things.  

Big D and Diane thanks for the kind words.  It really helps to know you care.  The deep pain is not something I discuss with my siblings.  I don't want to open wounds that might be healing a little.  I got my diagnosis on the Friday before Mother's Day also, so it is not my favorite holiday.  I just want to stay business and not dwell on it.  I used to think long and hard about what to do for my Mom for Mother's Day.  Wish I had the energy to drive over and put some flowers on her grave.  I don't usually do things like that, but it just seems it might be nice.  Better to try to connect with my daughter and grandkids and do something light hearted.  Hope you all have a wonderful Mother's Day and get lots of love and attention from those you have nurtured and raised.

• edwards750
    edited May 2014

Gigil - I used to be really diligent about putting flowers on my parents and two brothers graves but a brother who lives close to the cemetery usually beat me to it. My sister and brother in law are in town for my niece's Confirmation so I know she will want to go to the cemetery. I feel guilty sometimes about not going but I do pray for them often. Hope you enjoy your time with your daughter and grandkids. I will be spending time with at least one son and daughter next weekend when we go for my granddaughter's HS graduation in Chattanooga. Again, Happy Mothers Day everyone!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2014

I am sorry but I will have to read previous posts later on. I am involved in yet another emergency. I went to UCLA hospital yesterday to get a port. They did a blood test and my potassium numbers were too high. So they decided to give me kidney stents and a port, and the kept me overnight. When I woke up this morning they told me I was anemic and they were going to give me blood transfusions. I needed two bottles and I am finally almost finished with the second bottle. At first when I heard blood transfusion I was frightened, but now that I am just about done I am not scared I basically didn't feel a thing. I am scared about the numbers but I am trying to think and remain positive, I am praying they keep me till Monday and doc finds me chemo on Monday

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Oh Kate, what next sweetie? I'm sorry.At least your in good hands.Keep us posted ok?

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2014

Kate - ugh too much:( another emergency, but so glad you are receiving good care and your team is on top of it.  Hope you have a friend there with you...we are all in your pockets, but it's nice to see touch hear a friend  right there by your side,

Grateful the kidney sents, port, and transfusions are done...you are a trooper...wrap your princess warrior coat around you and give us a squeeze...yes, we are there (((xoxo))) sending calm confident thoughts and prayers that you will have a comfortable weekend and remain in their care...maybe we can bring in some great food drinks music  and entertainment...Sew, Janis, Josie will take  requests, Brookside, GiGil, BigD are watching your team, and the rest of us our polishing your tiara, and styling...take care and keep us lposted as you are able! Oh, Bunkie says we can't play 3 blind mice and pinch the dr 

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2014

Lemon - it was a long 12.5 hrs and you did great!  Rest, heal, and soon you will be home:). Pleasant Dreams...we will sing a soft lullaby ...zzzz you and Kate need your sleep. Ok, how did all those cakeball crumbs get in my sleeping bag? Diane is that you snoring again? Watch the elbow April...gosh girls night in:)))

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• gigil
    edited May 2014

Kate rest easy dear friend.  You are getting the best of care.  Lemon, you rest easy too.  When you sleep, you heal.  Just drift on soft clouds and let your body heal itself.  We will all tiptoe out and settle down for some rest as well.  Good night ladies.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2014

Checking in from DD's house in MA...I decided to come up here (5 hour trip) since nobody is around for Mother's Day.  Dh couldn't leave work so I came alone...it was worth the drive to be sitting with both grandaughters while colored with their new flower shaped markers and made beautiful drawings...I slept an hour or two with older GD after reading her a story...we made a secret MD gift for her mom so we were up very late...now can't really sleep and girls will be up early.  I had a lot of junk food today...I don't usually have sugar.  It's bittersweet here...my first visit to DD's new home since they moved in last February.  Since then, DD has decided it is time to separate from DH.  Kids don't know but they are very clingy to their mom and they are just not acting "right" - ...hey...my heart's breaking and this gorgeous big house is just a shell...not a home.  I had a rough few hours when I arrived, with nothing to celebrate...yesterday went to buy a house gift and MDay gift for DD...came home empty after 2.5 hours.  I had no vision; today I managed to get some cute things for the girls and then something matching for DD.  I am not sure when I'll leave but do want to be back home Sunday to prep for my last week of classes and trip to San Francisco.

I really enjoy reading the posts about our Moms...our life-givers; our foundation; my Mom passed 15 years ago as a very active 79 year old who was never sick - except for her chronic leukemia which eventually ended her life. As I look back,I missed my cue for supporting her as she aged...she was so darned independent. 

Gigi, I know it is still raw for you...it is a strange feeling to be without parents...i remember missing my role of "daughter" very much.  And you are right to make your plans to be with family and focus on them now.  That is what I am doing this week end...easier for me to travel then to expect kids to come to Long Island.  My DS in Chicago sent me beautiful tulips and a note that any mom would treasure.

I am blessed.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2014

OK ladies...today (Saturday) is a special day because this thread is zeroing in on 10,000 posts!!!
    That's a milestone....
    Gigi, what you are describing is exactly what DH and I need to do this summer.  I feel if I can clear the stuff out of the corners of my house, my life will simplify and maybe I can focus instead of feeling overwhelmed.  It sounds like you are simplifying your lives so you can enjoy your time.

Lemon, I am sorry to hear it has been difficult.  It's never a cake-walk but soon the worst will be behind you.  It must be an emotionally and physically draining time for you.  Home is a good place to heal.

Bunkie, with all you've been through, I just picture you in a high and dry sunny place to live with no irritants and no major renovations to face.  This has all been too much to bear for you.  It is darned frightening to think about what can be lurking behind walls.  Here's to better health and a safe home.

Janis, thinking of you and in your pocket always....especially Monday.  Hope this has great results.

Josie, glad you got some positive feedback.  It is true...when you decide to be positive and don't let them get to you, sometimes you get treated better.  When you get offended and intimidated, "they" get more powerful.  Did you say a little road trip with DH?  Sounds like a great diversion.

Kate, at least those two procedures are done and behind you now.  I agree...you do deserve more nursing care and help with the daily must-dos.  This is a frightening time and things are moving fast with the procedures and new chemo.  We are here for you - OK to admit your fear of the known and unknown challenges you face.  This is the place where we can say things that we don't even share with our families.  Do try to keep in touch...many care for you and are sending prayers and positive thoughts. 

To those who are recovering from surgery, diagnoses, and rads, my thoughts go with you today.
    To all who are moms...may you be blessed with good health this year and carefree moments with friends and family.

Love to all,

Joan

PS - Brookside, sorry I won't be in your area this week end...did you catch the monster in the attic yet? 

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Joan, so glad you got to visit your grandaughters.I'm sorry that the living situation was kind of awkward for you.I'm sure that made your daughters Mother's day weekend.Your thoughts on your mother made me think about my own mother.She will be 79 this July .We are close but my youngest DD isn't.She kind of resents her because she says things to her about our house and how she needs to help clean it.I've tried to get her to realize that she won't live forever and that she is very good to her.Sometimes I don't think she realizes she says these things.

Happy Mothers day to all.