Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2014

haha - actually husband says I do snore but I emphatically deny it...

Thanks for keeping us posted Kate; we are all so worried about you. 

Josie-good advice- she won't live forever. I remind friends who still have parents and even my spouse who also has his parents that you can't get that time back. You never want to look back and say I wish I had...

Dining out tomorrow; yea! Diane 

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2014

sew,janis,josie,brook,gigil, Big D gigil, and joan thx so much for your support. I had a small bowel bowel movement  this morning and now I am doubled over in pain again

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2014

Ohh... Kate I'm sorry sweetie.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2014

Happy Mother's Day, everyone.   May each and every one of you receive a visit, a hug, a call, a card, a kiss, a loving thought (any and every of these) from someone who loves you.

Kate, did you hear that in a recent experiment with mice, they transfused the blood of young mice into older mice and, lo and behold--rejuvination!  Now, if the blood you received was from a 20 year-old. . . . .  So glad you're done with those procedures and can start moving forward with treatment.  II'm so sorry you're having those rotten cramps again.  Weren't they able to get you all nicely cleaned out while you were in hospital?

Lemon, here's hoping that you are feeling much, much better.  Janis, ready to cozy up in that pocket with you tomorrow.  Speedy recovery and no, no, no more nasty reflux for you!

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Thanks Brookside, Happy Mothers day to you to.I've just been discovered by my youngest DD caught in the act of cooking breakfast.She sent me back to bed.Winking

Hope everything turns out ok..

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited May 2014

Happy Mothers day to each of you.

I got home Friday afternoon. So happy to be home, it was tougher than I had thought it would be. I know its a marathon and not a sprint but it sure is painful in ways I didn't imagine. They broke my ribs which have been really hurting so my breathing has been bad. The tube drains are also just constantly pulling and so sore. My "girls" don't hurt at all, in fact I don't even feel them. :) My incision is from hip to hip, tummy is gone. What a bonus. I am drugged and not feeling myself yet but know I will soon.

I need to go and read and catch up.

Don't go far as I have a small surgery on Tuesday morning. I am going to go read the past few pages now as I know someone else is also having something this week and want to come!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2014

lemon, geesh!  You'd think 12 hours, broken ribs, 4 drains and a bonus missing tummy would be enough and now they want to do more?  You're going to be beautiful after all this though.  Ask if they can throw in a facial and hair cut while you're there Tuesday.

Janis, we're all ready for you...tomorrow isn't it?

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2014

So much going on....am with you Janis, Lemon, Kate and anyone else who is recovering or going for a procedure....

I hope Mother's Day was good for you...even if just to reflect on our own moms.
    It was a tough week end for me, and nobody came to my house.  I was in MA with DD#3 and 2 GDs...it went OK but was on the verge of tears all week end.  It did finally hit when I was alone in the ar on the way home this morning. 
    I spoke with all 6 kids today.  That is special....
    Dinner out.
    Now Dh is fed up with me being upset and he has gone off to bed.
    Work remains....but am emotionally and physically exhausted after being in DD's house with impending separation; and the  4.5 hour drive.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2014

Hello to all the mommas out there.  I hope that your days were lovely.  I know that quite a few gals are dealing with pain, with issues both physical and emotional, and I am stopping in to say how much I hope for the very best for you.  Thank you for all of the nurturing you give me, and each other.

I just sat down to do some work that was "popped" on me by surprise on Thursday afternoon (I had Friday off for a family event) with a draft due Monday. So I'm on the run as usual these days.  Please know I dip in to read as much as I can, and think of you all the time!

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited May 2014

Janis my thoughts and prayers are with you tomorrow. I'm swollen so bring your big pockets! Hope your getting a good nights sleep tonight. 

Joan sorry you've been sad. It is good to get it out.  I don't think it matters if our child is 2 or 45 when they're hurting we are hurting. (( hugs)) your a great and special mom, they're all so blessed. I hope it gets better. 

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2014

Joan, I just think  that once the kids are grown, Mother's day is always so complicated.  I'm never sure of the etiquette: Am I supposed to call the wives of my sons, or are my boys supposed to call me?  At any rate, this time I didn't call anyone.  I spent the weekend with #3 son.. We all went down to Long Island and spent Saturday with #1. .  Did not hear from #1 on Sunday, and never heard at all from #2 (who will be hearing from me today!). 

I know some of you did not get to see any of your kids.  Kate, I especially think of you.  It must be tough being so far from your kids when you're feeling so crummy.  Hope your docs get that new (and hopefully superpowerful) chemo going through your shiny new port asap.

Glad to hear from you, Lemon.  I did look up the rib thing and, yep.  It's part of the procedure.  Not top secret, but who'd 'a thunk?  Hope you're feeling lots better and getting around more.  And that you're being waited on hand and foot.

And SAB, you had the Mother's Day gift of super pressure at work. Knowing you, you probably whipped through that draft in record time (that being all the time you had available anyway).

• edwards750
    edited May 2014

Sorry for all you guys who are hurting physically and emotionally. Makes my anxiety about my mammogram tomorrow - 3 years out - seem so trite by comparison. Mother's Day is such an emotional day for us. It is hurtful when our kids don't call us. This is the one day we should be honored. I miss my mother a lot; she has been gone for 10 years. I did spend last night with my son for dinner and talked to daughter who lives out of town. We will be seeing her and 4 of our grandchildren this weekend for a graduation. Diane 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2014

Yes today is the day.  I wish I had a morning surgery but it is not until 2:00.  I have to be at the hospital at 11:30.  It is downtown Boise so we'll probably leave here by 10:30.  Thanks everyone for filling my pockets.  I feel the love and really need it today.  I'll post tomorrow I am sure. 

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2014

Wishing you a smooth, practically boring, surgery and recovery, Janis.  I hope you find something lovely and enjoyable to fill up your time until you leave for the hospital.  Bye-bye, nasty reflux!

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited May 2014

In your pocket Janis and everyone else's that need me to be there. I am hugging you all! xo

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2014

Hey Janis, we're all here, pillows in hand for tonight.  And just think, by tomorrow or shortly thereafter you'll be able to eat what you want, when you want. sleep right after a meal if you want and not have that yucky reflux going on.  And, you've lost 25 pounds which, if you're like the rest of us, is good news.  So....things are looking right up.

Dianne, I just had my 6 month follow-up mammo at my 2 1/2 year mark, and I've graduated, finally.  I get to go back to just once a year.  Yippee.  Except, I have to go in November (yes, 6 months from now) and have both breasts done since that's the schedule my "good" breast is on.  Does not really feel like I've graduated, but they say I have.  Hope you're on a yearly schedule also now.

I had a lovely Mother's Day yesterday.  Heard from my daughter bright and early, then went to pick up my Mom from her church along with a friend or at least acquaintance of hers that she met at her senior living place.  This friend is called Sister, but my Mom didn't know why and decided that she would call her by her first name, Mona.  Well, I get to the house to pick up this lady, and her memory is apparently worse than my Mom's and she didn't remember that she was to be going with us to brunch at all, but was happy to go along.  And yes, she's a retired nun and is still called Sister Maura.  Except she doesn't remember where she was a nun, nor where she was raised.  And my Mom just didn't want to call her anything but Mona, which Sister said was just fine with her, so all in all it was quite funny and we all had a good time.  The third lady my Mom had invited, Pat whom Mother calls Priscilla, was ill and couldn't join us, which was rather lucky as my car won't hold 4 people and 3 walkers.  I can see I'm going to need a van if this keeps us.  I had gotten half way back home when I realized that I had taken my Mom's jacket so I could get it to the cleaners, and her room keys were in the pocket.  Luckily I have a good book on tape I'm listening to, so I ran the 15 miles back up there to give Mom her keys.....she was sound asleep on her bed and more than likely had forgotten that I had them.  Life is good when you're 95 and healthy.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2014

Hi everyone!  Sounds like quite an active Mother's Day.  Janis you are in my thoughts and prayers.  I just know your surgery will go well, and we are jumping in your pockets to make sure it does.  Lemon, hope every day brings you healing and more comfort.  Kate, will you have a little more nursing help soon?  What is next  for you!  Chemo, clinical study?

Joan I understand the pain you are feeling for your daughter.  It is frightening when a separation happens.  how will it affect the kids?  My #1 and #2 sons have each been married 3 times.  Third time is a charm for each of them.  So far so good.  I have had one grandchild affected by #1 son's divorce.  She is 23 now, but I still remember when she was 3 and looking at me with sad eyes.  I also understand those moments alone when DH can put it aside and go to sleep, while you lie awake and worry and fret.  Men are just geared differently I am convinced.   They can compartmentalize their worry.  No such luck with a mother.  I have been losing sleep over #1 son who has been through treatment for alcoholism.  He had a recent slip, which had me walking the floors at night and praying hard.  He is a very successful man with lots on his plate.  Right now they are closing on a beautiful new house and he is starting a new job.  He is back on track again, but it is a worry!

I started out for DD's house yesterday morning, and got a call when I was halfway there that GD suddenly started having serious intestinal flu.  I turned my car directly around and headed home.  I do not need to catch that bug!   I visited on the phone for over an hour with DD on my way home.  Luckily DH got home early evening with a lovely orchid plant for me to love.  I have dates to see both DS and their families this week.

SEW you are such a patient and caring daughter.  Your mother is a lucky woman.  I loved your recount of your visit.

Well, we are still at our country house for one more day and then back to the city.  One more day to finish the garage and then order an appraisal.  After that. We get a realtor!  Progress!

• edwards750
    edited May 2014

I am on the yearly mammogram now thanks. Tomorrow is the first one. I will know the results before I leave the office. Good thing since I don't wait well. 

I understand about a son with alcohol issues. He went through rehab too. I paced many a night worrying about him and the phone calls in the middle of the night, court dates. etc. I wouldn't wish any of that on any Mom or Dad. People told me he is an adult and to let it go. No can do. They are our children forever. He is better and sounds like your son is too GigiL. I pray hard for my son too. 

Diane 

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Janis, it was quite crowded in your pocket today.Hope all went well.

Sounds like everyone had a good mothers day.I did too but was a little perturbed at DH because he worked and was too busy to even try to go to my family's.I got over it.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2014

What a roller coaster I am on. One minute everything is down and the next minute everything is up. I got dismissed from the hospital today. I was there 4 days and had a port put in, nephro bags, and 2 blood transfustions. I will get the port taken off after the chemo is over. I will get the nephro bags taken off in about 6 weeks when the chemo is over, and the will be replaced with stents. I start chemo at 7:45 am tomorrow. I am not sure how many hours it will last. This time I only have two chemo treatments a month and 2 are off. Doc is hoping swelling will come down in 2 months and I am praying that will happen too.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2014

Kate and Janis, it's exhausting jumping back and forth between you pockets.  I am looking forward to hearing good news from both of you...two ladies who deserve the best. Lemon, you too!  I hope you're feeling better every day.

• joan811
    edited May 2014

Kate, welcome back home...I hope you are comfortable.  In your pocket for the chemo...promise, I won't make much noise.  

Janis, waiting to hear that you are OK...hoping for complete relief from the reflux. 

Brookside, why is it that when you come to Long Island, I go to new England?  Someday we shall meet in the middle again.

Lemon, thanks for your kind words.  Gigil, thanks also for your understanding words.  I cannot believe you went through so much with the boys' marriages.  My older brother divorced 3 times--and the first 2 were my friends...then he remarried his #3 wife and they are together now into their 70s.  It was and still is hard on the children.  I share what so many of us have shared - that we are dealing with alcoholism in a son as well.  I will see him in 3 weeks and it breaks my heart to think of how he is destroying his health.

Despite my ranting, I did not have a bad mother's day....saw my grandkids in the morning and spoke to everyone on the phone. DH had some lotions I requested wrapped on the table for me.  I had a basket of flowers and tulips from DS#1. I just couldn't get past the vision of my son-in-law leaving the house where he has put his girls to bed every night for 6-1/2 years.  The girls were so clingy to their parents this week end and didn't need me so much...I guess they sense the chaos.  My DD#1 from DC called me and shared that she and her DH feel awful and sad about the impending separation.  We have had such good times at DD's home before they moved away...now their new huge house feels so empty. And it echoes.  OK I can't go into that dark place again....

Last teaching class tonight...one more day/night of finals.  Then pack for trip to DS's house in Berkeley CA.

ahhh I want to sleep for the entire week.

Diane, thinking of you and your mammo appointment - hope it is normal and uneventful.

SAB, maybe we will meet up in CA...will be in touch. 

Big hugs to everyone,

Joan 

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2014

So glad you're home, Kate.  Also glad they a kept good eye on you all weekend, and that you're hitting the ground running with your first chemo at the crack of dawn today.  Here's hopes and prayers that this is a particularly brilliant chemo that knows just where to go and how hard to clobber those little nasties.  After all you've been through, a few wimpy-ish chemo side effects willbe barely annoying, warrior princess.

Hoping your surgery went perfectly, Janis, and you're already healing, healing, healing.

And you, Lemon?  Feeling better?

Hoping your mammo report was an A+, Edwards.

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Kate, sounds like a busy 4 days for you.Glad to hear you are doing ok and sound encouraged.

Janis are you coming home today? 

I saw my radiation oncologist today.Why do I still get that sick feeling in my stomach as I enter the Cancer center?I showed up yesterday for my actual appointment before work only to be told by his nurse that I couldn't have the appointment since he doesn't work Monday mornings and hasn't all year.I explained that this appointment was made in November.She said it couldn't have been and told me to come in this morning at 8am.It's my day off but I thought might as well get it over with.Well I found my appointment card and showed it to her.She apologized and said it happens a lot.Apparent the lady at the desk makes appointments and They don't always make it into the computer.The nurse asked what my stress level was on the range of 1-10 .I told her8. She explained it happens a lot after Cancer and sometimes we get depressed .She asked if there was anything they could do to reduce that stress level like let me talk to their social worker.I told her I did that in the fall but only got limited visits for free.I was shocked at how helpful and understanding she was.It literally brought tears to my eyes as I talked to her.Remember this was the same mean nurse that rejected my handicap sticker during Rads.

• edwards750
    edited May 2014

Thanks guys; mammogram was k; thank God. I was a basket case this morning before the appointment. Didn't help that a lady n the waiting room was 8 years out and they found BC in the other breast. K I know it happens; just made me more uptight. The tech told me they are seeing a lot of young women with BC. Wonder why, the environment or just an unlucky draw like us. 

Kate, Lemon, Josie, Janis - all of you are going through so much I so hope you guys feel better soon.  I'm amazed how resilient you are. I feel like a wimp compared to all of you. Diane 

• edwards750
    edited May 2014

Thanks Joan - I married into a ready made family so I know how traumatic it is for the children when parents separate. My husband's youngest son was only 5 then. One thing we didn't do, and in retrospect should have done, is get family counseling. I think it would have made the transition a lot easier. Kids are resilient though and the boys are happily married now with children of their own. My daughter is another story and our youngest son is too young and immature to get married; thankfully he doesn't want to anyway - right now! Diane 

• joan811
    edited May 2014

Great news on the mammo, Diane.   I try to live my life like I really know recurrence can happen...
    I work too much but I accept that it gives me choices.  As long as I am healthy, I can do this job, and then make the most of my time off.
    Good advice, Diane.  I heard my DD say that they would find someone for the older girl to talk to when the time comes.  I am so busy at work I am not thinking about it.  There are so many changes....my grandson who lived with us since he was 6 weeks just broke up with his gf and is moving at the end of the month to a new apartment.  It's still in NY - but in Queens and he will commute to the Bronx for his job.  I hope he finds happiness.  He learned very young not to show his feelings but I know he is sensitive.  I will miss her, too.

Josie, I am glad you had someone to listen and offer support.  You deserve it.  And yes, it is always an emotional experience to go into the cancer center.  In the waiting room where I go there is a K-cup coffee maker.  So after my appointment, I head to the machine and put in a package of hot chocolate then fill it up with coffee.  So when I go there, I think about my pleasant  "reward"...but it does bring back memories. 

No word from Janis or Kate?  Has anyone spoken to either of them?  Do we have a contact for Kate?  Of course, that is up to Kate but it would be good to get an update. 

Well, it was warm for a few days and it is starting to look spring-y outside. 

Hugs all around...I think we all need one!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2014

Gosh I am worried sick tonight. I am in a lot of pain and my right leg is getting weaker. I have to have soemone help me put my legs in a taxi. I can only walk a little. God only knows I am trying. They gave me a new laxartive to try for my surgery tomorrow. I know I will feel a little better if I can get some poop out of me. My nurse knew nothing about Nephrostomy tube care. They spilled all over me. Tomorrow she is saying she doesn't even have all the equiptment to take care of them. Well anyway at least she will be here at 11 tomorrrow. Thanks for letting me vent. this god awful drink is almost over. Please forgive me for only thinking of me tonight. I hate being so selfish when i love all of you.

xoxo

Kate    

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2014

Oh, Kate, sending a lovely, long, long, long, hug.  I wish I could be there to give you a real hug. It sure feels lousy to feel lousy, no?  I'm guessing your nurse ramped up her how-to's last night and will be all set for you and your tubes today.

I think I'm getting a bit confused--Did you start chemo yesterday?  And surgery today?  Details, please.  Sending prayers.

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Diane, I was posting this last night when my kindle went dead.So here it goes again.Glad to hear your mammogram was good.That's a relief.

Joan, Thanks for understanding.I'm glad I'm not the only one that has that issue when entering the Cancer center.It was nice to have the nurse listen and understand.

Kate, I can't believe the nurse didn't know how to care for your nephrostomy tube.She should have gotten someone else if she couldn't handle it.Sorry sweetie.

Take care.What is today? Are they starting Chemo?