Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2014

Run, sorry if I sounded negative previously...I know you will do great and for a super-great cause.  We are cheering for you!
    Dogs, welcome back...New Hampshire is well-represented Happy

Lemon, I like your avatar but I miss your little bug.  Glad your doc says not to worry...hope you are comfortable while you heal. 

Cindy, I forgot where you are headed...happy travels.

Josie, I had an itchy rash in California...it started when I went to bed and ankles and inside of lower legs were itching like crazy.  It was chilly and I had put on the socks I had worn earlier... then I remembered I had walked outside in DS's yard where they had been gardening.  I am sure I picked up some bug bites and perhaps even something stuck on my socks.  Creepy....so think if you walked without shoes...I agree it could also be contact dermatitis which is what I brought home from CA last year.  (poison oak)

Charger, let us know if you hear back about Kate/Joyce.

I am so glad it is the week end.

Looking for Janis and Bunkie....

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited May 2014

I have had no reply from Kates friend.. sigh

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2014

Thanks SEW.  I am knitting it for my grand-niece.  I hope I finish it before she is born!  I have until the end of July.

• joan811
    edited May 2014

Charger, I thought that maybe you wouldn't get an answer if it is medical information and the doctor was treating kate.  Did you use her name Joyce?

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2014

No problem, Joan, I agreed with you on all points!  I have a new pain now, something I've never had before.  They called it "metatarsalgia," which just means "my foot hurts."  It feels like a bruise between the bones under the ball of my left foot.  Great.  Well, it'll happen and I'll do it, and I'll find all the positives I can.  It's hardly the scariest thing I've faced in the past couple of years!

I do remember that Kate's friend seems to travel a lot....

Dogs, we're the same age and we both live in NH--what are the odds!?

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited May 2014

Morning Ladies,  The "Quest for Kate"  continues.  I didn't think her friend was treating her & yes I used her name Joyce.  If nothing else maybe she will visit her & get her on here to fill us in.  Hopefully she won't be too angry with me for making contact. At least I tried.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited May 2014

Josie- here is another thought---have you had pants dry cleaned lately?  I am allergic to the stuff they use at some of the drycleaners---and it will make you burn and itch.  Or check your laundry detergent, some of them have started putting oxi-clean and other things into the product that you might be sensitive too.  The labels change w/o warning.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2014

Redheaded, no we don't Dryclean our clothes too often,never had my pants declared.But thanks for the thoughts.Maybe it is a contact dermatitis,I was just on my daughter's bed and she has brand new sheets which she insisted on putting on before I could wash them.My legs felt itchy.I need to wash them today.But last night I woke up at like2:45 am with my eye itching me so bad I about rubbed my eyeball out.Then it felt like my chest was a little tight.But I think it was gas.Because when I got up I burped.

Oh well I will survive.

Sorry didn't mean to go on.

Run good luck with the half marathon.Your brave.

Hope we hear from Kate.I'm so worried.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2014

Run, good luck with the 1/2 marathon tomorrow.  I think you've won no matter when you cross that finish line!  Sorry about the new issue with your foot: one more challenge you didn't need.  

• joan811
    edited May 2014

It was a beautiful day here - cool and breezy.  Right now, some puffy rain clouds are bringing showers.  I planted two long flower boxes - just finished the 2nd one today.  I have not had a garden in so long due to the deer eating everything.  So these boxes are up just high enough on the deck railing.  I hope they don't come up on the deck.  It makes me happy to look out and see bright flowers.  I already have a few fuzzy bees - I have not had bees in the yard in so long. 

Run, what next?  Do your best 
    Josie, I hope you feel better.  When you start looking for causes, everything becomes suspect.  I remember the outbreak of rashes on this site in the past year.  Whew let's nip this in the bud!

• gigil
    edited May 2014

Josie I have found since going through radiation that I get rashes everywhere a lot easier, and I can't wear a garment or use a linen without washing first or I get a rash.  You could be on to something.

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Joan, your weather sounds nice.It's a little muggy here.

Thanks for your comments.I know I'm just searching for a cause instead of dealing with the issue.

GIGIL I hope there may be a clue in the fabric .But unfortunately I have a broken drier at the moment and need to get that fixed before we can even do anymore laundry.

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited June 2014

Joan, I'm in your neck of the woods this weekend. I'm on a ladies' weekend in NYC, and we are staying at my friend's husband's corporate apartment in Glen Cove. I've never been to this part of Long Island, and it's beautiful!  Yesterday we were in Manhattan all day (took the LIRR in), and I logged 8.5 miles on the fitbit!  A record for me since I got it in January. We spent today in Brooklyn. Went to the Brooklyn Flea in Ft Greene and also visited Williamsburg. It's truly the hipster capital of the world.  So many attractive and stylish "kids" in their 20s and 30s. 

We head back to Boston tomorrow.  It'll be good to get back to the slower pace of home. :-)

I hope someone hears an update on Kate soon!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, everyone!

• MostlySew
    edited June 2014

Gemini, your trip sounds wonderful and 8.5 miles is amazing.  I've gotten to over 15,000 steps a couple of times, but 8 plus miles is amazing.  Do you find this little gadget addicting?  I sure do.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2014

Congrats Gemini on a very nice hike!

Josie, I hope you're not too uncomfortable.

Good news for you Lemon.  Glad to hear it.  sounds like a good Doc.

Runfree, even if you end up being "run slow free" or "sort of walk-run at the end free" I will still bow down to your athletic spirit. You are inspiring me to get off my can.  

This weekend I am working again.  Training the new guides I hired last week in a 3 day training marathon.  These kids have stamina!  I really love getting to know each new batch--they are so smart, so diverse and so interesting. But I will be happy to finish up tomorrow afternoon, and to have a full weekend to myself next week.

Kate, caring (worried) thoughts.

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Gemini, great job walking that many miles.It makes my little walk around1-2 blocks so tiny.Yet I'm still pretty wore out afterwards.I'm not in great shape I guess but did lose 5 # so far on my weightwatchers.

SAB thanks for your concerns.I'm ok.It looks like a bit of hives type rash.It itches a little but not to bad.Just inside my lower legs.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2014

Gemini, you were in my old stomping grounds.  BeforeI moved to my family's former summer home in Vermont,  I lived in Port Washington, just a stone's throw to the west from Glen Cove.  I grew up in Brooklyn (Bay Ridge), then Manhattan's upper east side. It sounds as though you had a wonderful time, I hope you love New York.  Probably lost a couple of pounds after all that hiking.

Congratulations on the five pounds, Josie.  I'm up eleven from last winter, so you are my current inspiration for mending my eating ways.   The problem is I don't want to give up anything.

SAB, it must be such a joy to spend the weekend with those kids, but do you take any time off during the week? 

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2014

Gemini and brookside, we loved in sea cliff, right next door to glen cove and just across the bay from port washington before we moved further east to southampton.  Although it's beautiful out here I miss sea cliff very much.

How do you like your fitbits?  I've been thinking of getting one.  Are they complicated to set up?

• SusannahW
    edited June 2014

lived in sea cliff-I have to start prof dreading before I hit submit.

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2014

Well, Susannah, clearly you both loved and lived in Sea Cliff.  Probably the same in SouthHampton.

• SusannahW
    edited June 2014

you're right brookside!

• MostlySew
    edited June 2014

Susannah, I love my fitbit.  Addicting.  End up dancing around the house to up my steps!  Best $50 I ever spent.  Set up is totally simple: put the battery in, turn on bluetooth on your computer and go to the website and you're done.  I didn't get the more expensive one since I already know I only sleep 2 hours at a time.

• gigil
    edited June 2014

i am addicted to my fitbit too.  It urges me to meet my activity goals  and I track my sleep too.  When I get short on sleep, anxiety comes in.  SEW I always walk around the house to meet my goals if I am a bit short.  I love the idea of dancing!  That would make it much more fun!

Susannah it is easy to set up.  I have The Flex which has a wristband.  Right now I am wearing the green one.  It is the best motivational tool I have found.  Oh, and online Weight Watchers too.  I need to get back to that, since I pay for it every month!  Josie,thanks for that reminder.

• MostlySew
    edited June 2014

Gigil, yep, I recommend dancing!  Oh, and check out MyFitnessPal.com  Our own Sab recommended that on-line tracking tool, and it interfaces automatically with the Fitbit.  And, it's free!  Has a good index of foods, you can track any nutrients you'd like (like sugar) and you can create and save your own recipes and it figures the calorie/nutrient content.  I think it gives you more calories for exercising than fitbit does, but I just let fitbit decide how many I can eat in a day and then use fitnessPal for logging the foods.

I'm headed out for a short 2 mile walk with my husband, then off to visit Art at the Source artists with my sister.  We should be able to fit in 6 or 7 artists depending upon how much we talk.  There are over 170 artists and even with a 4 day event, we've never seen all of them. It's great fun to drive around the area and meet artists.

• RunFree16
    edited June 2014

Brookside, my dad and aunt grew up in Port Washington!  Did you live there during high school?  My aunt is turning 70 this year so you wouldn't have known her anyway, but it's still sort of cool to think about.

I survived the half marathon!  Thank you ALL for your words of encouragement.  They really helped.  I was very scared until last night, when I suddenly calmed down.  And then everything today went much better than I had any right to expect.  The weather was truly perfect, sparkly sunshine with no wind and low humidity, about 68 by the finish.  I knew how to dress for the chilly morning (a lot of people had misjudged it and were freezing in 45 degrees as we waited over an hour before the start).  My sore foot had gotten somewhat better, so I really felt fine for the first 5 miles.  My husband and son met me around there, took a great picture, and gave me a morale boost.  Then things started to hurt a little, but not too badly.  At about mile 9, the painful spots got more painful, and then the last mile was really tough.  But overall it was great.  This course is really gorgeous, through pretty historic towns (especially Woodstock, VT, quite a knockout) and lovely dirt roads with classic farmhouses and horses and then along a flat stony river, and past several covered bridges, through one.  There were a lot of musicians along the route, which I just love--kids' school bands and oompah bands and calypso bands and hipsters with guitars, the works, I think at least 15 different ones, plus people with cowbells and drums and all kinds of handmade noisemakers.  The weather was a giant gift.  My mom joined my husband and son at the finish.  I was kind of blissed out the whole time, except for being nervous that I was going to have to pay the piper at some point for not training enough.  But I basically got away with it.  I raised $1300 for a really good cause, and it also did feel like an "I'm back, baby!" post-cancer declaration.  Phew!!!

One nice thing about wearing a Fitbit in a half marathon:  I got an email from my Fitbit congratulating me on getting to 25,000 steps today and asking if I could get to 30,000, which I did.  It's my first of each badge.  I'm not expecting to see that again anytime soon!  I should really check out MyFitnessPal.  I set up an account but I haven't really looked it over.  Thanks, Sew, for your great description of what it can do.  SAB, I hope you're recovering from your weekend of training!

• joan811
    edited June 2014

Gemeni, you really covered a lot of New York!  I love walking in Manhattan but I don't think I'd last that long.   I grew up in Nassau County as well in West Hempstead.  It was classic 1950s suburban when my parents moved there.  I do love living on eastern Long Island - but I have to drive some miles for normal things.  (40 minutes to Whole Foods)

I got to know Boston when DD#1 went to college there; now DD#3 lives in a suburb south of Boston.  I think I will be getting reacquainted.

SAB, I'm glad to hear you have next week end off.  I don't mind working; I DO mind not having the time I want/need to enjoy things I like to do and need to do.  I have a feeling you may know what I mean. 

My DD#1 asked for a fitbit (gift) but I got her a Garmin that tracks running and records the route and rate...I think it was way more than she was looking for.  The fitbit sounds so easy.  I think I want one now.

Kyle (my grandson who I raised) is spending his first night in his new apartment with new housemates.  And he is without his long time girlfriend with whom he lived for the past 2 years.  He says he is fine about it. 
    He took his bed so now I get to redecorate his room.   He also left his remote control drone-like flying disk with camera.  I tried it and it is fun. 

• gigil
    edited June 2014

SEW I will definitely check that out.  Thanks!

• SusannahW
    edited June 2014

congratulations run free! So proud of you! I'm working hard to overcome my fears, so u r an inspiration.

Joan, hope you are ok with Kyle's  move. You sound as if you've adjusted to it.

A beautiful day after a beautiful weekend.  My husband had to work this weekend. I played tennis yesterday, but other than that I basically stayed home alone and read, took walks, rested.  Since bc this has been hard, I've had to fill every minute with plans, so just hanging out at home and enjoying it was like seeing an old friend again.

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2014

Congratulations, RunFree!  You are sooooo victorious.  The musicians sound awesome--all their keeping the beat/pace going must have practically given you wings.  Now the question:  How do you feel today? 

Joan, I absolutely understand about wanting time for yourself.  That's about all I want now--time to do exactly what I want.  Unlike you, I live alone, but still, the days are just not long enough. After rads, I had that PTSD thing which left me kind of unable to be productive.  This is different; I just don't want to do it.

Here's hoping this is a short term feeling--not ready to retire.

• RunFree16
    edited June 2014

Thanks Susannah and Brookside!  So of course, I'm in some discomfort today, and was by last night.  Knees especially.  Going up and down stairs makes me yelp!  Could be worse though, I must say.

I LOVE days alone and could squander any number of them with minimal achievement, happily reading and puttering.  I have quite a fantasy life around what I'd eat and how I'd put the house together if I were alone all the time.  I've never lived alone, and I'm not sure I'd thrive, plus my husband's a nice guy and all....  But it has a powerful appeal, and the day I get here and there is most pleasant.

Brookside, do you think there's still a BC element to your not wanting to be productive?  The book I read, After Breast Cancer, says a lot of people find their professional priorities change and they're less willing to put up with workplace BS etc.  Just wondering.