Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• Nettie1964
    Nettie1964 Member Posts: 627
    edited July 2014

sorry to just jump in here, but if you ladies would be so kind, I would like to ask a question!  I won't give a long history, but I will say that I have scoliosis and ever since I've finished rads, I have had pain in my back on the radiated side!  It's not constant and it doesn't hurt while sleeping unless I move a certain way.  Just wondering if any of you have had back pain after rads and for how long?  I finished rads 10/4/13!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2014

Nettie, hmmm I haven't had the pain you describe so can't specifically help you.  However, now being 2 1/2 years out of rads, I can say that lots of the aches, pains, and LE type issues I got from the surgery and rads have seemed to have resolved themselves and gone away.  I do think it's worth mentioning to your RO if your still seeing one, or MO or whoever you're seeing.  I have heard of women who broke ribs because of rads, and who got burned on their back from rads so I think any thing is possible.

Cindy, I'm glad you're done with your testing, but yuck about the osteoporosis.  I went in to full blown osteoporosis within 2 months of starting Arimidex and I had 2 infusions of Prolia at 6 month intervals.  That worked so well I no longer had osteoporosis, osteopenia or any problem. So....I'm still holding my own almost 2 years later and I hope to keep it up.  But I must say, I think what really helped with my bone density was taking a magnesium supplement and eating 5 prunes a day.  Have you ever read any of the posts by Ruth Bru on any other threads?  She always recommended prunes, so I started eating them and I do think they help the bones absorb calcium.  Enjoy the beach......

I'm sitting here at 10 pm on Thursday night listening to the fireworks my small town is setting off.  Can't see them, but can hear them.  I've got 1 cat huddled in my lap and another hiding under the couch.  We got home from a big family dinner just in time to get these cats in before the big noises started.  My 2 outdoor kitties will just have to deal with it, although since one of them is deaf, I don't think she'll mind.

Happy 4th everyone.  

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited July 2014

BigD/Joan hope today went okay for you.  It sounds like you are taking care of business and that is good.  You can go into surgery all prepared for your recovery period.  Let us know what you find out, okay?  Keeping you in my heart and sending you positive energy constantly.

Bunkie, so glad your BT is coming.  It will do you good to have him there to help you get the house sold, and to be a sounding board for what you do next.  

Josie,good for you!  I am so proud of you for delivering that letter.  It sounds like you are taking control.  I can tell by your posts and your pictures you are a very good mom.  Don't ever doubt that.

Sew there are some rogue fireworks going on in my neighborhood.  Poor dogs!  They just hate it.

Nettie, I am three years out and I have random pain in my radiated ribs when I bend down on that side, and also pain in my back too.  It comes and goes.  If I stay away from sugar, white flour and high sugar foods,the inflammation gets better.  I am a Chocoholic, so I work at it all of the time.  I do Qigong, which involves movement and stretching and that helps too.

Cindy, I admire how you just tackle whatever comes your way and then you move onto more enjoyable things.   You are one tough cookie!

Janis, you talk about your upcoming birthday as much as you want.  I love hearing about it, and you so deserve it!

Brookside, Joan, Edwards, hi to you.  April, how are things?  Hope you all have fun 4th of July plans.  DH and I are going out for a late dinner and fireworks display.  I am looking forward to it!  Other than that, some movies are looking good.  Hugs to all of you special friends.  Enjoy your holiday!

• gigil
    edited July 2014

Dear Friends, I am afraid I have discovered some very sad news.  I thought I should let all,of you know ASAP.

Joyce Francisco

1942 - 2014 | Obituary | Condolences

Joyce Francisco Obituary

iconJoyce Francisco age 71 Beloved mother of Michael (Marie) Scholl and Mindee Nakfoor. Loving grandmother of Madeline, Riley, Emma, Christopher and Molly. In lieu of flowers contributions may be made to VITAS Innovative Hospice Care 16830 Ventura Boulevard, Ste. 315 Encino, CA 91436. Graveside Service Monday 12:00 Noon at Westlawn Cemetery, 7801 West Montrose ave Norridge, Il. For info The Weinstein Funeral Home 847-256-5700

logo

Published in Chicago Tribune from June 28 to June 29, 2014

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2014

Thank you Gigil, for finding KateHudson's obituary.  I"m glad so many of us were able to send cards and thoughts, so she could know we were with her.  She was such a strong person, and sacrificed so much to have her last hurrah with her children and grandchildren on her very special and very specific, beautiful hair, nails, and clothes, terms.

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2014

Netty and Gigil, I have some sort of low grade rib pain/discomfort, on my radiated side, but below the radiation field.  After six months or so, I finally griped to my MO and he's in the process of scheduling (gulp!) a bone scan.  Apparently this is a better diagnostic tool than an x-ray, and hopefully will show a very benign something or other.. 

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited July 2014

Gigi, thank you for letting us know about kate. I'm writing this with tears in my eyes, remembering her donut shop friend, her love of her family, how she always mentioned each one of us in her posts, and how dearly she clung to hope and to life. I will miss her terribly.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited July 2014

OH NO!  Not our princess warrior!!!!!   Words escape meSadThank you Gigil.

• gigil
    edited July 2014

Susannah  and Brookside, although I was expecting this, it hit me incredibly hard last night.   You are right Brookside, she did it all on her own terms.  I am so glad she got to have that last visit with her family.  I wrote them a note on the obit page to let them know how much she meant to all of us.  I think we can feel good about the fact that we were here to support her when she needed it most.  We have a wonderful group of women here, and we are very fortunate to have each other. 

• gigil
    edited July 2014

70charger, hugs to you!

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited July 2014

Just checked her friend Tracy's FB page, looks like she went on her b-day or just before. Hopefully her family was with her.  Hate to think of her being alone.  But then in true Kate fashion I can see her not wanting anyone seeing her like that. She was ALWAYS so strong.  I miss her posts.

Gigil  Thanks, back at you.(())

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

Such sad news about Kate.  She did fight hard, didn't she.  Thanks Gigil for finding this and letting us know.  How thoughtful to write a note on the obit page. 

• LiLi-RI
    LiLi-RI Member Posts: 160
    edited July 2014

So sad! Kate/Joyce was such a presence on this thread! It seems like only a few weeks ago she was writing all about the award shows....and which gown and which date. She will be MISSED. At least, no more pain for her.....Lisa

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited July 2014

NO! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sick to my stomach. This means two people lost to cancer in the same week. Why????????????????????? Men on the moon, technology up the wazooo and still people die from this freaking disease? Unacceptable to me. I just found out an aunt has BC too. She was only my aunt for 10 years (divorced my uncle and she was a lot younger than him) but I still think of her as my aunt and she is my cousin's mom. I hate this!!!!

Joan/BigD, huge hugs and prayers that all went well.

Hugs to you all I love you and pray daily for each of you. xo

Edit: Our Kate died on June 23rd according to the obituary. She never saw her birthday Sad

• gigil
    edited July 2014

SEW, April, Lisa and everyone a group hug for all of us.  Our hearts are heavy at the loss of our sweet and sparkly Kate.  You are so right.  She suffers no more.  I am grateful for that, and sad for her family.  She was so young for her 71 years and such an inspiration to all of us to be good to ourselves and to let ourselves be pampered a bit when we need it.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited July 2014

I went back and read Kate's last post which was on May 14th, just about 6 short weeks ago. Here is the last line from her to us in that post.

"Please forgive me for only thinking of me tonight. I hate being so selfish when i love all of you. xoxo

Kate" 

As you can see, we really did mean a lot to her in her final days. Of that, we can take comfort in knowing we helped her at this very lonely and scary time in her life. Sad

• gigil
    edited July 2014

Sad

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2014

GiGil - oh my say it isn't so...tears and heavy heart.  Yes, Kate lived her life on her terms and we are blessed to be included...a group (((hugs))) 

Thank you for sharing

• gigil
    edited July 2014

Cindy, heavy heart here too!  Hugs to you my friend!

• 3rdtimenow
    3rdtimenow Member Posts: 126
    edited July 2014

Hi blessedteacher37, sorry to break in here ladies, I have been on this board for a little while. I was happy to find this forum today. I will try to make my story short. I was recently diagnosed with BC for the 3rd. time and having a very tough time with it. I have been frantically looking for someone who has undergone radiation treatments more than once. Do I understand that you have blessedteacher? My doc has told me that my risks for side effects are greater this time, so I am a little freaked out right now. I also have implants so don't know how that will go. Appreciate any replies. Thanks, Stephanie

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2014

SadGigil, thanks so much for letting us know about Kate.

I'm so sad.I just can't believe it.She was so strong and I really thought she would have maybe come through it.I hope she allowed her family to be with her.But rest assured she did not die alone.Jesus was with her holding her hand.I miss her dearly and really wish I could have met her in person.

April, I'm sorry about your Aunt.I too lost a relative this week.my mom's cousins wife.So technically she was related by marriage.But she battled Breast Cancer twice.Then lung and just died 2 days ago of a e coli infection that blinded her and sent her into a coma.How sad.It was a blessing though that she had gone on a houseboat and had one last hurrah with her entire family about 3 weeks before her death.

Blessing to you all this 4 of July

Josie

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2014

I came in to tell everyone about my appt yesterday and read about Kate.  I just fell apart.  I did not know her for long, but thought, too, that she was seriously sick but would come back.  I do not believe she was alone at the end.  That is just unthinkable to me.  I am sure her family was with her.  It stinks.  She went through so much but fought bravely.  We will miss her and I hope she passed peacefully and is in a much better place now.  Sorry, I just cannot talk about me today. 

April so sorry about the loss of your dear aunt and the loss of your mother's cousin's wife, Josie.  My thoughts are with you today as well.

Love you all!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2014

3rd Time now, welcome.I'm sorry your going through this 3 times.I have only one experience with radiation.But maybe someone else can advice you.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited July 2014

Gigil - Thank you for letting us know. Glad I sent her that card. I am so freakin sad. Just tears all lover the place. Such a fighter. Thank God she went to Chicago and spent that time with her kids. Missing her already. No other words.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2014

April - that last sentence of Kate's says it all. Totally loving and unselfish person. I am glad she got to go to Chicago too. I loved reading about the clothes she bought for the trip and her beautiful hair. I am like everyone else here so incredibly sad. Of course we didn't want her to suffer but we miss her 2. I'm glad we sent the cards too; hope she got to read them but even if she didn't she already knew we all loved her. Amazing never met her but felt like I knew her anyway. 

Sorry your losses too - April and Josie. 

Sending prayers to her family. 

Diane 

• celia088
    celia088 Member Posts: 975
    edited July 2014

Sadly, KateHudson's name has been added to the BCO LIST OF ANGELS.  My condolences to her family and friends.

celia

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2014

And she never failed to thank us individually and as a group for our support in every one of her posts. Still just so saddened by the news of her death. 

Diane 

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2014

I'm also one who hoped and expected that once Kate/Joyce was in the nursing home, and finally getting the proper care, she would improve.  Her loss is our loss, for sure.  I'm just sad that she did not post during her last weeks, and surely hope that was her choice, and not a problem with internet access.  Thank goodness for the excellent detectives on this thread.  Without you, we would never have known what happened after that last post, and would not have the peace of knowing that Kate received our cards with their loving messages.  We did what we could as friends, and Kate knew we were there for her.

Big D/Joan, please do tell us about your appointment. You are in that limbo between knowing and not knowing--You've got the culprit semi-identified, the surgery drafted, and so many areas of fog and concern.  I hope your Thursday appointment gave you a little more clarity and confidence.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2014

I too am saddened by the loss of Kate. She and I were one of the original posters on this thread along with Sew and several others.  We've been here a long time.  I think Kate knew this was coming and that is why that final trip to Chicago was so important to her.  I believe she knew how sick she really was and that trip was her last hurrah.  She was so ill lately.  I hope that she is free of pain now.  She knows how loved she was here.  That meant everything.  Sleep softly dear Kate.

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

Yes, it is strange to loose Kate.  She has become family.  I remember a year and more ago when she told us she asked the Doc if she would live long enough to see her granddaughter graduate and he said he thought she would.  I think her granddaughter did graduate this spring (or at least I prefer to think she did) and that along with her trip to Chicago to see family and friends were the 2 most important things to her.  I like to think that when she had met her goal, she felt it was OK to let go