Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2014

GIGIL, thanks for sharing your experience with your Father.It sounds like he passed very peacefully.I'm sorry I shared that about my husband's grandma.I hope I didn't offend anyone. But it was terrible.

I hope your hubby is better.That is scarey.He should not let himself get so hungry.My hubby is hypoglycemic but discovered it at a very young man.So he stays away from sugar and tries not to let himself get too hungry.I can remember before he was diagnosed he would come home and tell me how sometimes he would forget stuff so easily and that's when he would get something to eat.

Brookside,yes my hubby s Grandma was aware of things and was asking everyone She saw to feed her.She couldn't seem to understand she would choke if she tried to eat.I think my mother in law just thought it was time to let her go and she knew she would pass on if put on hospice.I on the other hand couldn't stand to see her like that and it angered me that they didn't even try to put a feeding tube in.Why couldn't she had the IV in hospice just so she would have been more comfortable.My mother in law said it would have prolonged her even more.My oldest DD was very close to grandma and would come in her room and entertain her.She begged me to take her to see her in hospice.I just didn't want her to remember her like that.She says she will never forgive me for that.Shortly after grandma's death she started hanging out with the wrong crowd and we went through a very rough time with her for a while.I still believe it was particularly due to the death of her great grandparent.She really looked up to her.

• josie123
    edited July 2014

BROOKSIDE, sorry your post just came through.I will be in your pocket for the bone density.Or is it a bone scan? Sorry about your BFF' s marriages problems.

I know what you mean about kids .My oldest 19 yr old hardly ever calls or comes by to visit unless she needs something.It really hurts.But I cherish the moments she does take the time to call or stop by.Even if it's only when she needs something.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2014

Ohh, Josie.  Your grandmother's death certainly affected everybody.  Your poor grandmother!  Your poor daughter!  Your poor family!  And, of course, poor you!  So many decisions, and so hard to determine the best choices.  Yes, of course, it was best for your daughter not to see her grandmother like that, but, also of course, that left her angry and hurt. With teens and tweens, sometimes you just can't win.

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Thanks Brookside, I appreciate the kind words. I just wanted to make sure you know my DD is now on the right path and no longer does all the bad things she used to.I am proud of her for coming through it .I was almost positive she would hate us forever that day we took her to rehab.She never missed a session and hopefully will thank us someday.It was the hardest thing to go through.But made us stronger as a family I think.She wasn't into the hard drugs just pot.But I trusted her way too much.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2014

Brookside I think boys are just different.  Mine are terrible about communicating.  We all live in different states, but they have cell phones yet rarely call.  Usually I get a call from both of them on Mother's Day.  My birthday they usually remember as well.  This year of course is extra special and I am impressed they will travel to Cheyenne to be at my party.  For Adam it is about a 2.5 hour drive.  Ryan is much farther north in Fargo ND, so he is flying into Denver.  He will ride up to Cheyenne with Adam and Jenifer.  You and I are so close having birthdays just two days apart.  This is the big 60 for me.  I have never asked for a party, but for some reason this milestone seemed really important.  We all know that cancer changes so much in our lives.  Our perspective in so many areas changes.  For me this is truly a celebration of life.  My BFF is coming from Nebraska, I am so thrilled as I have not seen her in four years.  I am deeply touched by those who are making travel plans just to attend this little party.  You do have a lot on your plate now with a friend in such distress.  Been there, done that and it is devastating I know.

Josie I think the 18th stick out because Brookside mentioned that is her birthday.  Mine is the 16th.  I will actually be in Conifer, CO on my 60th staying with my son and DIL.  I have no idea if they will do something but thinking they might take me out to dinner.  They work long hours so partying on a weeknight isn't very appealing.  It takes over an hour to get to work so they do get up very early.  My birthday party will actually be in Cheyenne WY three days after my birthday on the 19th. 

Your hospice stories are so interesting.  Gigil, you wrote so beautifully about your dad's passing.  Very touching, he sounded like such a wonderful man.   I have never been to hospice but I was with my favorite great aunt when she passed.  It was amazing.  She and I were always close and I adored her.  She had been hospitalized with pneumonia and she hated the whole experience.  She was 82 and very active always but had emphysema and knew another pneumonia would be an ordeal.  Not one she planned on repeating.  She hand wrote her living will and very clearly stated 'comfort measures only'.  She wanted to go at her home, no hospital, no heroic measures, DNR.  When she got sick again her son Gary hired his former secretary to stay with her.  She lived in California and I was in Houston.  I adored this woman so I requested a leave of absence to go to her and stay with her.  The day I got there she was in a hospital bed in the living room.  She was not conscious.  The secretary told me she was exhausted and asked if I would sit with her.  Of course!  Her living will was right there on the coffee table and I read it.  I help her hand and just talked and talked to her.  I recalled so many fun things we had done together over the years.  There were so many wonderful memories and I stroked her beautiful soft hand and talked......and talked and talked.  A couple of hours later her breathing changed radically.  Short rapid breaths, but still not awake.  I was upset and called my mom in Nevada who was an RN.  She told me right away that she was having 'Cheyne-Stokes' breathing which often happens before they pass.  Mom said to keep doing what I was doing.  She planned to come the next morning.  I was somewhat afraid, worried that suddenly she would gasp for air and panic and then I would panic.  It was nothing like that.  I called her son and suggested he come over.  Real snob, lived in this big mansion in the good part of town.  Aunt Belle and her sister, my grandma, lived in a mobile home park for seniors only.  Gary told me I was not a nurse and I was overreacting and he would come tomorrow.  So I did what I knew best to do.....I held that beautiful hand, stroked it, and continued to speak softly to her.  I told her how much I loved her, how much she had influenced me to strive to be a good person.  Again I recalled camping trips and fishing trips and the holidays we had shared.  As I was talking she inhaled a deep breath, let it out slowly, and it was over.  It was the most amazing experience of my life.  I was so happy that I was the one with her when she went.  Not some ex secretary who barely knew her.  I actually waited for several minutes before calling 911.  I wanted to make sure nobody could pound on her poor body or try some dumb heroic.  I just sat there stroking her hand and talking.  When I did call I made it perfectly clear that she was gone, and to PLEASE not send lights and sirens into the park.  This was a very close knit senior community and it was late, about 11:00. It would scare those poor people.  Of course they didn't listen.  Everyone knew her and loved her so I am sure they figured that out.  Maybe I am rambling too long, but I have to say I felt honored to be with her, just she and I, alone, walking down memory lane together.  I know she heard me and I know she was at peace.  I admit I was scared because I didn't know what to expect.  It was truly amazing, peaceful and beautiful.  She went on her terms, and with someone she cherished dearly with her until the end.  I will never be the same.  It was simply an honor to be at her bedside and make her transition so peaceful. 

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited July 2014

Brookside, I so get that.  My daughter is better.  I am very close to her kids.  She makes sure we are a big part of their lives.  We are always welcome at her house and she brings them on vacation with us several times a year.  My sons?  Not so much.  We have to make appointments with them, and they are few and far between.  I think the DIL's are closer to their families.  How does the saying go?  Your daughter is your daughter for the rest of your life, your son is your son until he gets a wife?  Something like that.  It seems to be the sad truth in my life.  My second son is a bit more available to me emotionally than my first.  His wife calls the shots.  He travels a lot.  And you are so right.  These health checks we have are scary.  Some moral support would be so welcome.  They just take so much for granted.  The hard part is that we were there for them when they needed us, almost to our detriment at times, and now it does not feel good to be set aside.  I am so sorry to hear about your friend and also what you have had to endure.  It sounds like you were needing emotional support and someone failed you miserably.  I really believe at this age, we need our women friends most of all.

• gigil
    edited July 2014

Janis, what a beautiful story.  Your aunt knew you were there, and I know you comforted her so much.  It was the best possible way she could have passed, and you helped her.  I felt that with my dad too, and I have grown so much from that experience.  Did her son regret not even being there?  I am sure he justified it to himself some way, or maybe he just wasn't strong enough to handle it, so he hid behind denial?  

I am glad you asked for a party.  My kids don't remember my birthday or mother's day or father's day.  I think they resent my husband's constant work on holidays, and they are punishing us a little.  He always makes sure he is with the family for Christmas, and that isn't easy.  it usually means he has to work every other holiday to make up for it.  Being an ER doc, he has missed out on so much normal life.  He is going to be on track to retire in a year and he is not even sure he can do that.  He is so used to being so committed to his work.  I think he will still keep a few shifts a month just to stay in it a bit.  He wants a hobby farm.  I wonder if that will work out for us.  He would love to raise grapes and make his own wine.  We all have our dreams, right?    I wonder what would happen if I asked for a birthday party.  I am going to be 64 my next birthday.  Maybe a "Lucky girl, now you are on Medicare" party.  Ha! Ha!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2014

Josie - sorry about your grandmother. Glad your DD is better; our youngest son went to rehab too for alcohol. Best thing for him and he didn't fight us about going. 

Janis - what a moving story about you and your aunt and you were the perfect person to be there in her final hours. Hope your birthday party is a blast! Never been to Nebraska, Colorado or Wyoming. DH did go to the Air Force Academy. 

Gigil - gotta be tough for you and the kids on holidays. I'm sure your DH wishes he could be there with you guys too.  

Brookside- sorry about your friend. She must be devastated. 

Diane 

• gigil
    edited July 2014

Janis, I used to live in Nebraska.  We were married in Casper, Wyoming.  Also we are going to be in Fargo, ND Friday night for the McCartney concert.  Been to Colorado.  What a beautiful place.  I got altitude sickness there once, which really turned out to be the flu.  

• edwards750
    edited July 2014

Thanks Gigil- I try to keep a positive attitude about her; sometimes it's really hard because she keeps doing the same thing over and over again. She's not a kid anymore and gets all hostile if I dispense advice. I think she just wants me to rubber stamp everything she does. That was the most wonderful story about your dad. You were all so blessed to have each other. Btw my dad had s great sense of humor too. Kept him sane sometimes. 

You are so right no one is perfect. When I started nagging my DH too much my mother said I should let 10 things a day go so I do find myself counting. The year's wait is a good idea. I did just that. First marriage was annulled but still waited a year. Glad I waited. 

Diane 

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2014

There is so much going on here and I cannot remember all the needs...
    Lots of party plans here...Janis, Brookside, Josie...hope we keep the dates straight!

Josie, so sorry to hear about your dental work scheduled for this summer.  Are you implying that you do not take sedation or general anesthesia for such a procedure?  I would not even be able to talk about it....dentist is on my summer horizon though.

Brookside, thanks for reminding us that hospice can be in places other than the home.  It is a mindset and a level of care, I suppose.  It does make sense for those who cannot be at home due to pain management or no one at home to help with care.
    Sorry to hear about your friend...it's hard when you know what she may be facing emotionally. 

Josie, your story about your grandmother is sad...I figured that those final days "orders" are for when the patient no longer has the ability to have input or request care.  I do not understand withholding feeding from someone who is conscious and hungry...it sounds like it was complicated, though.  Sad....

Diane, two of my DDs are about 5.5 hours away by car.  That seems far to me...and one of the reasons that I feel lost with the one who is separating.  I want to be there for the little girls (I am very close to the 6 year old)...but it is just too far.  I have had to let a lot of my emotions and concerns go because I have no control.  DD this week end asked me to come and live with them. 

Janis, are you really leaving this week?  Wow....what an adventure.  Did you say previously that DH cannot stay in Conifer due to the elevation?  How are you dealing with that?  I hope you have a very uneventful journey to CO. -- easy and pleasant in every way. 

BigD Joan, thinking of you and wondering if you have any further test results. How are you feeling this week?

My day didn't go as planned, but I can say I learned a few things...wish I could say I didn't have to have those life lessons so often.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2014

Brookside, good to know that you can use hospice in a care facility.  How does that work though?  Here, when you go on hospice at home, then you have to agree that you won't call the doctor, nor go to emergency but rather call hospice for all your needs, including getting any prescriptions renewed.  How does that work in a hospital setting.  Just curious.

Josie, I'm so sorry to hear of the experience of your grandmother.  That one was very difficult for all of you.  I'm glad your daughter has come to understand you were trying to protect her from the trama, not keep her away from her great grand mother.  Chances are it wasn't just that which led her to the drug scene.  My daughter also ended up in rehab and had never experienced the death of a loved one so that wasn't her catalyst....some kids just take that route and have to learn the hard way that it's not a good path.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited July 2014

Good Morning beautiful friends. First a huge squeeze to all of you who are sad due to not hearing from your children. My son lives 20 minutes away and I rarely hear from him. Sometimes it takes him two days to return a text message or phone call. My DD on the other hand lives in MA and I speak with her often cause she calls me with any and all of her life's events/decisions/happiness/sadness. We are best friends and I am so thrilled with the woman she turned out to be. She is strong and intelligent and a good person. We are very different in terms of our personality.

My son is much more like me in temperament and personality, yet he is just not good at calling or stopping by...sigh. We raise them the best we can and do all that we can to ensure they have values and then it is up to them in the end. I am hoping that when the baby comes, my son will realize the importance of family and how much I need to be in my grandchild's life. I am betting that since their backyard abuts HER mother's home, that grandma will be seeing my grandbaby a lot more than me but oh well, it is what it is and I believe that a daughter needs her Mom. Since this is my DIL's second child (she has a 6 year old by a previous brief marriage when she broke up with my son and then they reunited) she will be comfortable enough to leave both of the girls with me once in a while.

As for hospice, CT has the very first hospice in the USA here. It is in Branford CT and opened a long time ago. The concept was always there for extended large European families anyway. Death was a normal part of life and the family took care of their loved ones in the home, keeping them comfortable until they passed. Then Europeans began the whole hospice movement to make sure people had the palliative care they needed during their last months/weeks/days of life so they were not in any discomfort.

I am betting that our Kate was in a facility because she had no family (unless her children came during her final days) and hospice does not stay 24 hours a day and part of home hospice is that someone must be there to care for you besides the hospice staff. I know that Kate knows we cared a lot about her. I reread her posts from right after her diagnosis with bladder cancer and the outpouring of love and support from all of us was evident and she soaked up all of that support like a sponge.

To all of you with upcoming tests etc., I wish you great results. My second mammo since diagnosis is next month and I am already getting a little nervous. I have to have my blood retested soon for the elevated calcium too and not thrilled about that little twist. Every single little thing is magnified when you have had cancer, isn't it? And Josie, hugs on that dental work!

Time to jump in the shower for work. Love you all and wishing all of our upcoming birthday girls the happiest of times. Janis, that party is going to be wonderful!

xoxoxo You are all amazing. I sincerely mean that.

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2014

Janis, your story of being with your aunt is so beautiful.  She surely was blessed that you were with her.

Sew, hospice is--I'm sure my language is not quite right here--an approach to patient care, with the objective of comfort rather that cure. Lots of hospitals have either hospice or palliative care available, usually either in a separate section, or in the room/s furthest from the nurse's station (quieter for the patient, and keeps patients with acute needs closer).  Once hospice is chosen, most treatments stop.  The patient can decide to go back to treatment, then back to hospice, then back to treatment.  In a specific hospice facility, I guess this would mean a physical move back and forth.  At home, or in the hospital, transfers are more specific to symptoms.  Dialing 911 is generally a bad idea, as EMT's are required to do lifesaving procedures, whether wanted or not.  I'm told that, despite DNR orders, they are required to attempt resuscitation.  I can't imagine hospice prohibiting calling a doctor; that would be pretty durned antithetical to the concept of comfort care.

My BFF is doing pretty well.  It's kind of a bizarre story.  Two months ago, she was eating lunch at a restaurant, and he called and told her he had moved out.  Total shock.  Four hours later, he called and asked to come home.  She thought they had worked it out.  A few days ago, she returned from a meeting and found a note.  He had left again.  An hour later, he called, and she allowed him back so they could work it through.  She was very clear that this was a trial and that he could never leave again and come back.  She told him (I absolutely love this) that she had already planned how she would redecorate his den.  He swore he would never leave.  Then yesterday, she found him with, you know, that bag that holds toiletries.  First, he said he was throwing out old stuff, then confessed that he was leaving.  Last night, he called and begged to come home.  Nothing doing, Buster!

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited July 2014

Holy cow Brookside! What in the world is wrong with that man? One foot out, one foot in and then you shake it all around. His wife must be ready to STRANGLE him! After the second time he left, no way I would let him back in but we are all different in how much we can tolerate and marriage is a very important thing in this life so I sort of get why she wanted to at least try....but, but, I could NEVER put up with all that nonsense! Of course, I say this now after having put up with my ex-husband for 27 years of drinking and verbal abuse so I should not  be one to talk I guess. Hugs to your friend!

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2014

The worst of it is, four years ago, my husband (of four years, thankfully not decades) moved out when I was not home--I'd had no idea we had a problem.  I was shattered, and this other guy knew it.  Then, for him, a very verbal, educated man, to do the same to my friend. . . ..  I so much wanted to demand that she toss him out, but of course you can't do that.  I very nicely advised her to work through her feelings, because if she gave him the heave ho, she might have recriminations.  Thankfully, he saved her the bother.

I sent your Hokey Pokey reference to her--so very, very apt, and I think that mindless childhood melody will cheer her.  As the song goes, "That's what it's all about!"

• Blessedteacher37
    Blessedteacher37 Member Posts: 297
    edited July 2014

This is for those who are presently in radiation or finishing soon...three weeks out...I've healed pretty well; ugly skin area has peeled away and all skin lightened a bit. Still using Aquafor and taking a short rest daily if I need it. It can get tough towards the end, but hang in there..! It does get better. 

• justmejanis
    edited July 2014

Joan sadly DH cannot go to Conifer with me.  Fortunately he has a son near Colorado Springs.  Chuck will go there and stay in our camper as he prefers his privacy.  He and his son have some fun man things planned.  His son lives on 40 acres and they will do some target shooting.  Also Chuck loves to pan for gold and his son wants to learn. so they will do that.  We will each be with our sons for four days.  Adam will bring me down from the mountain Thursday where I will reunite with Chuck.  Then we head to Cheyenne.  Our friend Marcia is hosting my 'party'.  I insisted on keeping things simple so we are grilling burgers and brats and serving a few sides.  My niece Renee had a baby boy May 31st so I get to meet my great nephew!  Both sons there (JOY) and some close friends.  This is what I had longed for!  Family drama being what it is, this is nothing short of a miracle.  My family is so fractured.  My two sons did not speak for some time.  Adam, the youngest, is very successful and proud of that, which he should be.  He pursued his dreams, went to grad school and followed his dad's footsteps and became a geologist.  His wife is also a geologist and they have a beautiful mountain home.  They are active kayakers and they also cross country ski, fly fish, hike.  They live the good life and earned every bit of it.  Ryan, my oldest, is sadly afflicted with severe depression .  He has a BA in Spanish and a BA in German.  I was so proud of him earning his degrees while working full time and he and his wife had a young son.  Sadly the depression got worse.  He had made two prior suicide attempts, one at 16 and one at 19.  For awhile he does well then not so much.  He is an alcoholic, a quiet shy young man who drinks alone at his home.  He got a DUI shortly before Adam's wedding 6 years ago.  Adam was livid.  Ryan's son Wesley was the ring bearer and Adam called me and ranted and ranted that he was going to exclude them from the wedding and find a new ring bearer.  I told him he could not do this to him, that Ryan was profoundly ashamed and had agreed to go into rehab right after the wedding.  It was a huge mess.  I finally told Adam that if he cut them out of the wedding I would not attend.  I hate emotional blackmail but in this case it was how I felt.  Adam reluctantly agreed to include them and the wedding was perfect.  Ryan was very subdued and of course did not drink.  I knew he wouldn't.  Ryan's life spiraled out of control soon after.  He did go to rehab as promised, my ex husband paid for it.  During this time his wife had enough and announced she was leaving, moving back to Wyoming from Denver.  She and Wes would live with her parents.  Ryan was devastated.  He started drinking within a week after his stint at rehab.  He was evicted from the house they rented, unemployed, a lost soul.  He agreed to move back to Casper with his Dad.  My ex DH and Chuck and I went to Denver with our trucks to load his things for the move.  We got there about 10:00 AM and he was so drunk he really had no clue why we were there.  Alcoholism is a terrible sad disease.  I won't say more but I think you can understand how tough this was for all of us.  I felt completely helpless trying to comfort him after so many losses.  He hated being in Wyoming again and his wife was out living her life, dating openly.  Not a large town so it was pretty clear.  It got even messier when she got involved with Chuck's son!  Yes, this created huge problems as everyone can well imagine. 

Good news is for now, Ryan is stable and alcohol free for now.  He moved to Fargo, ND and is working as a house painter which he has done all his life.  I am not happy with the situation as he got involved with a woman he met online.  He made a few trips to Fargo before deciding to move there.  She is married, with three children!  I won't say a word to him, he is a grown man, 38 years old.  I love him deeply and worry what will happen with this relationship.  I just can't borrow any more trouble.  I can hope with all my heart that he doesn't wind up being crushed.  He and I have always been close and I have to believe he will find the strength to deal with what hand he is dealt.

Wow, cannot believe I shared so much personal information here, but I trust you ladies with all my heart and know that you all understand.  We all have family issues and I rarely talk about this.  Thank you for listening and caring and sharing!

Josie, one big cheer for you!  When I wrote and told you how fun your vacation looked, and what a good mom you were, I meant it sincerely.  You said you weren't sure about that great mom thing.  Well, after reading about your DD I second my feelings about that.  I KNOW what strength it takes to put a child in rehab.  I had Ryan hospitalized in a private psych hospital when he was 16.  Doing what you did for your daughter very likely saved her.  It is the most difficult thing to do, to have them sent away for awhile.  You are a great Mom.  You have more courage than you know.  Huge hugs to you my friend.  Making those terrible difficult decisions is so painful.  BIG hugs and kudos to you!  XOXOXOXO

Thank you everyone. 

• edwards750
    edited July 2014

Janis - we are honored you trust us with personal information. I think it speaks volumes about the trust we have for each other. Look we are all humans outside the BC box. BC doesn't define us but it has brought us together. All of us have dealt with or are dealing with family stuff. That is an ongoing thing and life in general. There are depression issues in my family as well esp on DH's side of the family. It's so hard to see your kids spiral out of control and realize you can't really do anything - it's on them. I know about alcoholism too. Another very difficult disease to manage. 

I am amazed at the stories and how we have shared a lot of the same issues. For me it's therapeutic. It's so cool too that we are scattered all over the country. 

Brookside - I know someone who went through the same thing with her DH. She was married 25 years - 1 daughter getting married in October. Anyway she called her DH at home from the grocery store to tell him she was getting pork chops for dinner. Surprise he wasn't at home, moved out with a girl she went to school with and told her he just wasn't happy. No clue. She says she's over it but of course she isn't. Her way of coping - that and taking him to the cleaners. Didn't have the guts to tell her face to face. 

I second that April. Hoping everyone who is having tests has good results and understand about the anxiety/ fear factor with upcoming mammogram. I make myself sick right b4. I schedule my appts first thing n the morning. Good luck, I'm sure if will b okay. 

Diane 

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Awww Janis, you are so sweet.I really appreciate that so much.You made me cry again!! Something about hearing someone say or reading that about me being a good mom it makes me cry. I guess I'm pretty hard on myself.I blame myself for a lot of things that may not be my fault especially when it comes to my kids.My son as you know is Autistic and remember how he wrote that note about suicide last year? Well can you guess? Yes I blamed myself .Thanks for sharing your story about your son.You've been through a lot too.I'm sorry your hubby can't be at the party.

Joan, about the dental work....no sedation...I just get a local block that numbs my entire lower jaw.

• justmejanis
    edited July 2014

Josie the party is in Cheyenne WY and we are going there together after visiting our kids in Colorado.  I couldn' have my 60th party without him!

Josie I know how hard it is to be a parent, especially a good parent.  It isn't the ones with the most money that win.  It is the ones with the most love.  Rich or poor, a good parent has plenty of that to offer.  Tough love is the very hardest.  Taking your daughter to rehab was very difficult for you I know.  You did the right thing!  Far too often we aren't popular with our kids when we are forced to make hard choices.  Later in life they appreciate it though.  You are too hard on yourself!  Your daughter has chosen a better path and she has you to thank for that.  Pat yourself on the back more often!

Edwards yes, I trust my friends here.  We share all the personal details of our cancer early on.  Later when we become more comfortable we share our personal lives.  I am an old timer, I have been on this thread since the beginning.  When I get depressed I sometimes forget I can come here and talk.  I know you ladies are always here, and understand.  It isn't always about the cancer. 

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2014

Hi y'all

Decided to cool off from the hot hot desert and spend a few days at the beach...it's 40 degrees cooler...this is one of my fav spots so my mind just zones...so many happy memories in my life...including my 1st date...ha ha 16 yrs old leave at 6 am to head to the beach and go sailing all day and return at 8 pm...who lets their daughter be gone that long and out to sea!  Bonfire tonight, kayaking in the morning...and a few more strolls in the surf :))) 

Hospice is amazing...they were there for my brother and my mom...so impressed...when we called on my mom...i found the hospice lady softly teared up sitting next to my mom...it warmed my heart to know that she felt our loss...wow, Brookside a Chaplin...kudos...GF is at hospital hard work...she always gets the infant and children..,so hard.

April - ugh :( dental work...gold star for hubby!  When is the baby due!

Janis - BDay Girl!  Ooo who...party...yeah 60!  You are coming into your stride...strut it!  So happy for you and your upcoming adventure and family time...Praying it is more love laughs than you can even dream!

BigD - thinking of you!

I'm running behind so...I love you even if I don't shout you out!

Time to hit the beach capture fire ring and watch the sunset!

You all better be there Friday...I'm wearing a big pocket and have it packed with goodies...xo

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

cindy...thats what i like: a gal who provides the goodies for the pocket party.  Lovely.  Perhaps if we arrive early you will even lull us in to some semblance of quietude by a gently rocking kayak on the lake.  

I agree with everyone that hospice is just the best group of carers and they provide such a fabulous service for the public.  I'm careful to always donate my best "no longer needed" items to their charity here in town and a couple of friends volunteer at the shop.  

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Janis, good so thought he was going to miss it.I'm glad he will be there. Thanks again for your kind words and understanding.I will always be hard on myself.Can't help it that's just me.

Cindy sounds like your having a good time reliving your second childhood?

I have conceded to the fact that I'm going to have to go into work tommorow.At least for a couple hours.I have so much I'm behind on.I'm not getting paid for it but I will anyway.I'm getting my hair cut and colored tommorow at 2 and then have an office party to go to Thursday night for the DR that's retiring.

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

josie, it's admirable that you're willing to go in and work and not get paid for it.  And I don't mean to put a damper on things, but will your bosses know you're there working?  I ask because from a business perspective for insurance, you need to be " on the books" to be covered for liability.  At least, that's the way it was when i worked many years ago.  Things could well be different now

• gigil
    edited July 2014

Cindy, you live the life girl!!  I am working around the country house getting things painted and freshened up.  DH left for work tonight.  I was kind of bummed to be left alone and behind.  Ah well, I will keep Paul McCartney in mind and the concert on Saturday.  We are going with our daughter, so that should be extra fun.  I will save time to be in your pocket on Friday though, especially with goodies to look forward to.

We all have so much in common besides the obvious.  My son went through treatment for alcoholism too.  He has had a set back since then and as far as I know he is sober now.  He does, however avoid us a lot, which is never a good sign.  Makes me worry.  He is 47 and he is still giving me fits.  We used to joke that when he was 50, I would be 67.  Now it isn't so darned funny.  I can't imagine having a kid that age, and being 67 in three years. Yikes!!

Josie, did they ever say anything to you about your letter?  You are smart to go in on your own time.  It shows you are really trying to get the impossible done.  

The weather is spectacular here in Minnesota lately.  Yesterday was sunny and upper 60's.  Today was sunny and 70's.  It cools off at night.  We really haven't had any extended heat.  I am wondering if we will.  August can start to cool.  I am heading to Florida with DD and Grandkids in August.  I know it will be warm there.  

BigD thinking about you and hoping all is well. 

Janis, happy travels my dear and Happy Birthday if you don't check in. 

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2014

Josie, take that selfie and share the new cut! 

Cindy, it sounds like you are reliving your past...the shore is a great place to re-center and heal from the bumps and scars that life gives us....sounds like a much-needed break.  Wish I could sail...

My beach plans?  not happening....spent the afternoon (6 hours) in my office today (no pay). 
    Janis, it's nice that you will have time with your son in CO...so beautiful in Conifer. 

April, my sons do not keep in touch either.  I know you will find your special relationship with your grandchild.  There's no competing with the Mom's mom...I know...I am the Moms' mom 3 times.  As the grandkids get older, all the grandparents have something special to offer.  Now that my DD#3 is separating, her DH's parents are getting to see a lot more of the kids.  I think it's good for everyone. 

Blessed teacher...so glad you are healing well after three weeks post-rads.  You remind us all where we were when we joined here.  As I say very often, sharing our return to normal life activities and relationships is all part of our recovery. 

I called about my 3 year mammo which should be this month and nobody ordered it for me...I am still waiting to hear back.  I will call tomorrow.  I have a MO appointment in 2 weeks so the mammo would be good ahead of time.  I don't get very nervous; guess I should be.  But I sure do get happy when they give me the "report card" right after.

Wishing everyone a good week.

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2014

Josie, if you work, they are legally required to pay you.  According to the labor laws, neither you nor they can opt out of that.  At least, that is my understanding.   Anybody else?

• edwards750
    edited July 2014

That's a good question Brookside. My DH works a lot of overtime but he is salaried. I see these infomercials all the time about compensation even if you aren't hourly. I wonder about the liability issue too. There was a case in Knoxville years ago where this employee came in early to make coffee. The co ended up having to pay for her time even though she wasn't required to be there so you never know. The pendulum has def swung the other way these days esp in Right to Work states- they can fire you if they don't like the color of your hair and make it stick. 

Josie - you should be commended for going to work on your day off. I think I would let them know ahead of time that you are just to cover your bases. 

Joan - my BS automatically schedules the next mammogram. My ONC likes her appt to follow the mammogram. My next appt with her is next month. I just had my 3 year one; I'm always nervous no matter what but I was that way before I got DX. 

Gigil- you sap- would love to see PM. Was out of town when he came to the FedEx Forum. Put on quite a show and the concert was 3 hours! For those of you who can remember the Four Seasons - did see them when they came to Memphis. Just love them and The Jersey Boys movie is great. Also saw them live at the Orpheum in Memphis. Frankie Valli had the most incredible voice! 

Diane 

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Ok now I'm torn between should I or shouldn't I go in.It's like they want me to get behind so they can rake me over the coals again.But if I admit that I'm behind they will still rake me over the coals.It's very awkward when I go in because I don't tell them I just show up and sneak into my Bone Density room.My co workers know I'm there though and if they walk by my office they know too.Even if they do know I'm there  They just look at me like "what are you doing here?"