Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2014

Cindy, I'm so sorry about your Stepbrother.My condolences.

Diane, thanks.It's nice to be home.But had a very busy day at work yesterday and They had me training the woman again.She admitted there is no way 1 person can do everything they expect me to do in 3 days a week.She has been with our company for 16 yrs.She is one of the company spies though and would throw you under the bus without thinking twice if need be.I have to really watch what I say around her.She did tell me that she was going to suggest they give me a extra day a week.They may listen to her.She can do no wrong in their eyes .And you know better than complain or say something wrong about her  or they will pounce all over you.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2014

Josie, it's so nice that this woman is validating your experience, and seems to be supportive of you.  With any luck, she'll throw those ogre/managers under the bus.  Hee, hee!  Now, the question remains--what exactly is her role here?  Is she going to be doing bone densities?

Cindy, such good news for hubby!  The trip home must have seemed lots shorter than the trip over there.  But such a shock about your stepbrother.  Yikes. Balancing the good and the bad ain't easy.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited June 2014

Josie- at least you already know about her so there is no entrapment and zero chance of you saying something they might use against you. Time will tell if she is sincere or setting you up. Not trying to sound like its sinister situation but since she is a fav of their's she play both sides if the fence. Still, could very well work to your advantage. Hope so. 

I worked with a Benedict Arnold type one time but by the time I realized it it was too late. Damage control didn't help but did have a happy ending. Left and found a much better job. So she actually did me a fav in the long run. 

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2014

Cindy, so sad to hear about your step brother's passing after his accident.  It sounds very unexpected. 
    I hope Dh's reports are good from here on in.  MRI is you?  Do you want to wear pockets?  (air conditioned?)

Rosiesride, I live on eastern Long island as well.  My best friend moved from Southampton to Raleigh and they beach at Wilmington.  Darn, it's so far!!!  But your beach looks great and I love the shade.

Josie, hang on to those vacation memories while you are dealing with work once again.
    I think you are very wise to be cautious with everyone there.  Do your best and never apologize for what you can't do....you are a professional who puts the patient first and you deserve more support with the business tasks.  It's all about making money...sadly. 

Today is stress-day for me.  Traveling tomorrow - leaving 5 am...have class today at 4:30 and don't know what I'm wearing for wedding Saturday in Illinois.  I need nails and hair and can't find time....maybe I'll have to do nails there.  Am seeing people I have not seen in many years (I went to grad school with them and they are my kids' ages.)  I hope I can cover the effects of Femara with some nice hair jewelry, self tan and makeup.  What a chore!!  I ordered the most gorgeous dressy flip flops to wear with a long white skirt; but they just don't fit right.  Back to the drawing board with that one.
    I am making up the last finals...all is graded except the test they take tonight. Am reeling from a student taking full advantage of me in front the class last night...blatantly flaunting the favor I did and then not leaving discreetly as I directed.  She will get a make up test today that will be more difficult; however, it all takes MY time.

My house needs work and DD arrives 2 days after I get home from my trip.  No time to redecorate as planned.

Well, a clean room to sleep and a kitchen stocked with good food plus the beach should make for a nice visit with my grandsons.  So what if the garden is not weeded or the room isn't painted?  I think DH will rush to the rescue but he always grumbles at me when we have people stay. 

Off to do some things that I would rather have already done...Hot and humid today.  Enjoy your day.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2014

Josie, yes, some validation! How do poor managers with no people skills get their jobs in the fist place?  I can't write too much on a public forum, but I feel your pain.

Joan, I seem to feel stressed more easily than in my pre bc days, even for an event I'm looking forward too.  Nails do me in, they're  hard to find the time to schedule.  I know it will feel great to have your daughter home, she won't care about decorating.  My own dear girl is in Seattle, miss her so much.

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Brookside,Diane, Susannah, Joan ......Thanks for the support about work.

Joan, you sound very stressed today.That's a shame about how your student acted.Some people have to learn the hard way.She will realize someday how stupid she acted.Enjoy your wedding.Sounds like fun.Don't stress about your house.Your daughter is coming to see you not your house.I know how I would be also..My DD had us puppy sitting yesterday.Actually she dropped the puppy off with my DD and said she be back.4 hours later.She definitely doesn't need an 8 week old puppy.My 11yr old didn't clean pup after the puppy either I had like 4 puppy messes to clean up.Then didn't realize there was on on our bedroom floor.Guess what I stepped in after getting out of the shower.Grrr..

• Blessedteacher37
    Blessedteacher37 Member Posts: 297
    edited June 2014

Hi ladies, 

Well it's over. I made it through...one week ago was my last treatment. Although I had a couple of irritated spots and it is VERY red, I already see some harmless peeling and have no discomfort. I didn't have blisters this time. Thank you Lord!! But I will say this....it is U--gly! I have had a few "twinges" of pain but they are short lived and according to my nurse, very normal. I want to encourage anyone who has to have this treatment that it really does heal up eventually . I'm wearing short sleeve cotton tee shirts. I did get the prescription cream recommended for the irritated areas and between that and the Aquafor  the skin is looking better. As for Aquafor being greasy it does feel that way, but I found if I put it on immediately after my shower, and waited to dress after makeup, hair etc, a lot of it had been absorbed. I've had no trouble with stained clothes.

Keep your spirits up ! I've found that it helps me cope if I can encourage others...hope I've helped someone!

• 3rdtimenow
    3rdtimenow Member Posts: 126
    edited June 2014

Thanks, Bunkie

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited June 2014

Hi everyone!

As promised, I am catching up with ya’ll tonight.

It has been a busy week at work and I am looking forward to a couple of days off!  I feel good, little dizzy now and then, but doing a lot of juicing,
    including wheatgrass (I will NEVER get used to it, but I read it is wonderful for you), and getting extra rest.

Bunkie, yeah, the tilt test, I have read about it, watched it on YouTube, and will not look forward to the day I have one.  I have a walker that I purchased
    when I was recovering from gallbladder surgery two years ago.  I could only get around the hospital with the help of one, so I do have that, but very reluctant to lug it around.  I was thinking of a cane, and may get one.  You are right, I do not want to use one but will if I have to.

Janis, big hugs back at ya.  Wow, a trip to Colorado and Wyoming.  Sounds like heaven to me!  I am doing good, will be seeing the neurosurgeon on the 1st and my MO on the 3rd for some new blood work.  I will just be glad to have the darn biopsy and know the results.  You know how that goes – waiting is the worst.  Hope your 60th is a blast!

Hey Diane – yeah, I cried too when I watched that video.  It is very moving.  I feel the same way you do.  It really can always be worse, I keep telling
    myself that. 

Redheaded, thanks for posting it.  I think everyone should see it.  I have changed a lot since this dx.  Things that would have bothered me before do
    not anymore.  I try to be more accepting of people even when they are irritating.  Life is too short, as we all know.

Josie, welcome back and glad you had a lovely time.  I know you are dreading returning to work.  I have been thinking about you.  I hope your first day back
    was uneventful.  You know we are all here for you.

Lemon, I feel good, no pain in my head, I would not know there was a problem if I had not been told.  How is your tummy?  I hope better.  I hate stomach pains.  It is easy sometimes to pull muscles and I hope that is all that this is.

DDOL:  Don’t worry about being fair skinned. I am super fair and was worried about burning too.  That was my first thought.  If I am in the sun, I am turning red in 10 mins.  Never have been able to tan.  But my RO told me early on that rads are not like being out in the sun.  And he was right, I had no skin issues whatsoever.  Just a little dark discoloration under my arm and along the scar line towards the end of my treatments.  Hang in there, you will do fine.

Rosiesride, welcome!  I love the picture!  I think I might need to get me one of those tents the next time I get to a beach.  I just cannot sit out for long in the sun anymore, even with sunscreen.

Cindy – I am so very, very sorry about your step brother.  My heart goes out to you.  I am sure you are freaking about your hubby, that is understandable, but sounds like he will be watched carefully and I am keeping you both in my prayers.  Glad you are still celebrating your B’Day.  Thanks for your well wishes.  I never pass out when I fall, so I think that is saving me.  It happens infrequently, well at least so far, but I am careful especially on stairs.  I am taking it a day and an issue at a time.  Head first, then heart, geez what is left?  Oh yeah, the colonoscopy and I need another mammo soon.  Yes, always something.  My fingers, toes, hair strands, legs, and arms are cross for your good results tomorrow!

MostlySew, yes I am here and going nowhere!  Thanks for the info on the 3D mammo.  I know where I go, they were just installing the 3D machine when I was diagnosed, so not sure if I will get that or not, but will be aware of possible burning.  That is strange.  Hope it did not hurt too much!

Kate -- if you can read this, miss you, thinking of you every day and hope you are able to come back to us soon.  We miss you so much! 

Love you all, have a good night.  I am going to take a xanax and hit the hay!

Big D/Joan

• edwards750
    edited June 2014

Susannah - you do have to wonder sometimes what criteria companies use in hiring managers. There are all kinds of interviews/tests that FedEx uses but in the end there are no guarantees that person can cut the mustard. I had several who had zero people skills and then there are always the ones who let their authority go to their head. They can make your work life pretty miserable. 

Josie - my youngest son and his GFF's dog are new parents - they are lab-pit bull mix and so sweet and lovable. She had 4 puppies. My son has decided to keep 2 of them. What is he thinking- 4 dogs! He has no clue what he is taking on. I love dogs too but that's too many pooches at one time! We are taking one of them. Ugh stepping in it! 

I wish we could find out if Kate got all our cards. 

Have a nice weekend everyone! My father in law turns 90 and is only taking 1 med- imagine that at his age- amazing. I take more pills than he does. Sister in law is having big birthday party for him Sunday! 

Diane 

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2014

I put my return address on my card, Edwards, and it has not come back, so I think we can assume Kate is at least receiving mail.  I'm sure hoping she will soon feel up to either hijacking some internet, or at least mailing a note; it's so concerning not knowing how she is doing, or whether there is something she would love for us to do for her.  Maybe one of us will be able to telephone her also.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited June 2014

Hi ladies,

Been a while and I am not going to pretend I can catch up. Feeling very down this week due to loss of a friend from these boards. She was Stage IV and lived in CT and we went to the same oncologists office at Yale where we met. We also did the same job for different agencies (big coincidence!) working with the same federal program...small world. We had met at a few confernces over the years and did not even realize it until talking one day. 

Anyway, she suddenly went down hill in March and died this past Wed. Some may know her. Her screen name was JillThut. I am so sad and I hate cancer so very much. My friend was 56 years old and a very accomplished person. She was a teacher and published a book about MBC recently which was about living with cancer, not dying of it. I grew to admire her very much in the last 18 months and now she is gone all too soon.

Ok, enough doom and gloom. Hoping Kate had some good things going on for her Birthday on Wed. I hope she got all of the cards too. I am going to send another one with a longer note in it. Hope she is well enough to enjoy them.

My grandbaby is doing well in the incubator or so they tell me. Can't wait to meet her!

Hugs and love to all. xoxo

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2014

April I am so sorry about the loss of your close friend.  Ouch.  I wish I had magic words to console but they seem so hollow.  I know what a profound loss this was.  Thank you for telling us about her.  I am sure she felt a great deal of comfort having you in her corner.  I hate cancer so much.  I know many don't feel the same about pets as we do, but I lost a cherish Golden Retriever to cancer many years ago.  We took him to the University of Colorado for surgery and treatment, it is such an amazing hospital.  I lost him 7 months after diagnosis.  It flattened me.  We lost another one five years ago to cancer as well.  We have two almost 10 year old Golden's and I never know as cancer is so prevalent in this gentle breed.  I did also lose my mother to cancer and that was devastating of course.  I just want a cure.....for all breathing creatures who love and are loved in return.

Cindy you too have been hit with tragedy.  I am so sorry about your step brother.  These sudden losses are so difficult.  I extend the biggest healing hug your way. 

Josie, Kentucky sounds perfect and it was the perfect break you needed.  I know coming back to work is difficult, but you are doing things to validate where your time is spent and that is very smart.  Deep breaths Sweetie, and always hold your chin high.  If you know you are doing the best you can, then you have nothing to be ashamed of.  Don't let them take away your self confidence.  I know it is hard but you are doing all the right things.  One day at a time, okay?

Joan it sure sounds like you have a lot on your plate.  You are so busy and seem to be moving all the time.  All the traveling you do and different places you go.  it is interesting I am sure but often exhausting.  I do hope you can take a break soon and just have some quality time for yourself.  Hugs my friend!

Blessed, congratulations on finishing rads.  It sounds like you did really well.  Of course any positive input you have always touches someone.  Sharing experiences is important and often very meaningful to someone just starting this journey.  Fear of the unknown is far worse.  We have most of us been there, done that, and have moved on.  That in itself is the perfect inspiration to those who are just beginning treatment.

BigD I so hope that you can get through this waiting without pulling out all your hair.  I have all fingers and paws crossed here for some positive happy news for you next week.  Hugs girl!

Two weeks from today we leave for our trip.  I found out my oldest son is flying in for my party and I am just beaming. The last time I was with both of my sons together was 6 years ago at youngest son's wedding.  Adam had a falling out with Ryan prior to the wedding and it got worse and they didn't speak for years.  So this is a huge victory.  I can't imagine spending this monumental event without both my kids.  I got my wish, and a couple dear friends are coming as well so this will be perfect.  Even my first DH is coming.  We get along really well.

Take care everyone.  Love and hugs to all.

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    edited June 2014

Well, the ONC told me I have the bones of a 20 year old!  Now I just need prayers that the Arimidex won't hurt my bone density!

Out here in this world, we take all the good news we can get, right?  NerdyNerdy

How is everyone doing with RADS?  Are you keeping the lotion on?  That REALLY helped me a lot.  Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Donna

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    edited June 2014

April - So very sad to hear of your loss.  It seems the two of you were certainly meant to connect in this world.  Your friendship sounds so very special, please keep Jill in your thoughts and continue to feel her love and friendship - I am sure she is watching over you now.

Janis - seems we have a common bond!  We are golden lovers and have lost three to cancer (spleen for Lance, bone for Logan, Lymphoma for Barron) and our boy Bentley lost a kidney to cancer (I recently posted his photo out here because a few weeks ago he had an attack of aggressive vestibular) and we have Bella now (attached photo).  We usually have three goldens in the family but the loss of Barron two years ago was almost too much to bear.  We did chemo for him and he was with us for nine additional months.  It is so heartbreaking to lose anyone, human or pet, you love to any disease but especially cancer.  I lost my dad to cancer as well.  Would love to see pics of your pups!

Hopefully these will put a smile on some faces out here - Bentley (14 yrs) is the blond boy and Bella (7 yrs) is the redhead!

Hugs to everyone.

Donna

• edwards750
    edited June 2014

So sorry April. Our BC support group at church lost one of our group a few months ago. She went into Stage IV almost overnight. Her daughter is also in our group. It seems now that deaths from this dreaded disease are getting closer to home. Another lady I know had hers come back. She was DX in 2002. I would like to think progress has been made in the search for a cure but you have to question that given the number of deaths from BC. 

Donna your babies are precious. I am a big time dog lover. I've had a Pekingese, peek-a-poo and a rat terrier. Now it's lab-pit bull mix babies. When I lost my babies I was devastated too. One did live 18 years and the others 15. I still miss them. 

Good luck with the Arimidex. I tolerated it well but I had bone issues so my ONC switched me to Tamoxifen. 

Janis - so glad all your family will be together- have fun!

Diane 

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2014

Hi y'all

Happy Dance!  MRI good...3rd area zapped to oblivion :)))6 mos next mamo and 2 yr anniversary!  Yeah, moving beyond...

4 more appointments for me and 3 for hubby :) thx for condolences...sad week gf hubby motorcycle crash yesterday so 2 services this week...live life love those near to your heart!

Kate - Happy Happy Bday !  

Pocket Party TGIF!

• april485
    edited June 2014

I have had 4 Golden Retrievers in my life. Best dogs there are..now I have kitties. Have not been able to get another dog since we lost Riley who was my ex-hubby's best friend in this world. I felt so bad when he got cancer cause my ex no longer had anyone in his life who loved him like Riley did. Jake was my baby. I was sick for weeks after we put him down (also cancer - lymphoma). He was MY BOY all the way. Shena was my daughter's girl and Lucas was my son's boy. Two of the 4 died of cancer. Shena died of old age and Lucas died of kidney failure. I miss them all but especially my Jake. So nice to see photos of those beautiful dogs!

Thanks for the condolences. Cindy, sorry about your step-brother and to all else who lost friends/family to this AWFUL disease. Hugs!

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited June 2014

Dogsneverlie- Thank you for sharing the pics, they are so beautiful I just want to cuddle with them. The pain of losing them is unbearable. I lost my cocker Harley and will miss him forever. We have Toby now he is a terrier and 11 yrs old, my DHs best friend, I cant even think about him not being here. I often wonder why they were given such short life spans, doesn't seem fair.

April ((HUG)) I am sorry to hear of your friend, this damn disease! At the end of March the woman I sat with daily at rads passed, I read it on Facebook. I was torn up about it. She was lung that spread to the brain, 54 with a DH and 2 children. Just so unfair and so fast. I am glad to hear the baby is doing well, what is the arrival date?

I also put my return address on my card to Kate. I do need to send another and will do so this weekend.

Cindy, congrats on good MRI!! I am sorry this past week has been so full of loss. ((HUG)) for you too.

Janis sounds like the perfect birthday present for you!

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Cindy, congrats on the good MRI results.

I'm so sorry for your loss.2 in one week.I'm so sorry.Bless your heart.Your right we should all live life love.We never know do we?

• josie123
    edited June 2014

April, I'm sorry for your loss.It's amazing how close we become to each other on this website.We are all in this together.Cancer has touched my life too many times.My father , my father in law,brother,uncle,cousins, Aunt.

Janis, thanks for the encouragement.You are so sweet.Please enjoy your trip and BDay party .You deserve it.

Dogsneverlie, thanks for posting those pics of your doggies.Very cute.II

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Big D thanks

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2014

Those labs look so lovely and loving!  I miss my wonderful Spot (What else could I have named a dalmation?).  I miss my chickens too.  On the other hand, I'm delighted that right now I don't have anyone or anything that I need to take care of.  These days, me, myself, and I are about all I can handle.  Now, if only the house would clean itself, and the garden weed itself, and my clients sell themselves!  I'm about a month into an arimidex holiday, about to start another AI, and beginning to feel a lot more energy.  On the other hand (again), I'm so accustomed to couch sitting, that it's hard to take advantage of the return of my old physical self.  Today is going to be house decluttering day and already I'm resenting needing to atone for a whole winter of letting things lay where they fall.  Ohhh, I need a mother, a maid, maybe several maids?

Josie, your first week back was pretty much OK, yes?  What is the plan for next week--Will the company spy be back? 

• LiLi-RI
    LiLi-RI Member Posts: 160
    edited June 2014

Bella is the love of my life!

Love the Labs!

• april485
    edited June 2014

Awwwww, Bella is beautiful! They're not labs though...first cousin of the golden lab. They are Golden Retrievers! Different breed although related. Just sayin....

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited June 2014

April, I am deeply saddened by the loss of your friend.  I wish I could say something to make you feel better.  This disease just plain sucks.  We in here have experienced it first-hand and I am sure we all have probably lost a friend, a loved one, a pet -- so when I read of someone else's loss, it brings back those feelings.  Thank you for sharing with us, she was a lovely lady and I wish I had known her.  For me, when someone leaves my life, I cannot help but cry and feel angry, but I always try to think about the positive, too.  Each person or pet who comes into your life changes it in some way.  I am very happy your grandbaby is doing well.  It will be a special moment when you hold her.  The cycle of life, right?  Sending you big, big hugs, April.

Janis, thank you for your kind words.  I will let you know when my biopsy is.  Probably not next week, maybe the week after the 4th.  I will have more blood work on Thursday when I see my MO, so looking forward those results to see if my calcium levels are still climbing.  I am just ready for this to be over so I know what I am facing. I am sorry for the loss of your sweet doggies.  I love dogs, just have never been able to have one due to not having enough time to be home and able to walk them.  I have kitties.  But I hope if I live long enough to retire, I would love to have a dog one day.  I recently saw a video on a clinical trial involving dogs and cancer -- I will go back and find it and post it here.  Apparently, the treatment has been working for the dogs and may have benefit for bone metastasis for us as well.  Was a great story.  I am looking forward to hearing about your wonderful trip!  You have to post some pictures!

Dogsneverlie, love those photos, beautiful dogs!!  Thank you for showing us. LiLi, love your Bella too.  What a cutie pie!

Josie, I hope your first week back was good, and not too stressful.  Been thinking of you.

Cindy, I could not be happier about your test results.  That was one fun pocket party!  BIG HUGS!

Okay, I am back to cleaning.  I could use a maid too, and a cook, and a chauffeur would be nice too.  My two cats are unwilling to take on those positions.  Oh well.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited June 2014

Here is the story I saw if anyone wants to watch:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/research-dogs-bone-cancer-may-214652865.html

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited June 2014

Hi, I've been reading but not posting.  Successful college visit #2 with my girl (loved one, liked one, loathed one), heading off on my UK trip tomorrow, may or may not be able to post from there.  A bit too much travel even for me!  But each particular trip is good.  April, Cindy, Lemon, I'm so sorry for your bitter losses.  Life is so sad and inexplicable sometimes.  Cindy, I hope your and your husband's appointments and tests all go as smoothly as possible.  Josie, rooting for you as always to find justice and a new job.  Brookside, I wish you excellent focus in your atonement project and better luck with the next AI.  BigD, I am totally in your pocket (crowded as always!), hoping for the best kind of answer.  Janis, I hope everybody is on their best behavior and your birthday party is wonderful!  Happy Birthday to Cindy too, and of course dear Kate.

I love the dog pictures.  We have a Springer Spaniel, liver and white, and we had a Shih tzu before that.  I'm still carrying a torch for my two childhood dogs, which were mixed breeds, a sweet little spaniel and a white German Shepherd/chow/coyote (or so we were told).  If I were to pick a breed again, I think it would be a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  Love those.  Early happy Fourth everyone!

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Brookside, I hope you'll send that maid my way once she's done cleaning your house.

BTW work has been very busy.I have lots to catch up on and only got 1 or2 phone calls done .We had 13 bone densities Friday and only had like10 min to eat lunch because I needed to catch up on my morning paperwork before my 1:00 bone density.Stayed 35 min late to try to get my benefits done for Monday.The lady I'm training is realizing the things expected of me and the time allowed to do it is ridiculous.She may be able to convince them of that I need 1 more day  A week.

• josie123
    edited June 2014

MY Dh leaving the dock for the first time driving a boat