Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2014

Big D---will someone post that you are ok after your surgery????

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2014

Hello friends -- yes, tomorrow is pre-op and radiology tests.  I will know tomorrow what time the surgery is on Monday and I will let you all know.  I do not have laptop to take with me to the hospital, but I will have my phone and if my eyes can see well enough (I have a small screen), I will try to log in and let you know I got through it at least.  I am sure I will be fine.  But I may be out of it for a couple of days, so bear with me.  I will let you all know as soon as I possibly can.  I have already decided that should they want me to have the bone marrow biopsy in the hospital, I am going to insist on sedation for it.  I just do not want to go through that procedure awake.  And if they say they cannot arrange for that on short notice, then I am going to tell them we will have to do it at a later date then, when it can be arranged.

Thank you all again for your support.  I will be thinking of each of you while I am bored to death in the hospital.  I sure hope they do not keep me more than three days.

Josie, yes, go to the Bar Association in your city and ask for help if you need it.  Hang in there!!

I have been a bit dizzy this afternoon, but am home now and nervous but just have to get through it and deal with whatever comes next.  I know that with all of you here with me, it will be easier, no matter what I have to face.

Will talk to you tomorrow.  Have a nice evening everyone!

Big D/Joan

xoxoxoxox

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2014

Wow, really in countdown mode, BigD/Joan.   Is tomorrow a whole-day of testing and scanning and poking and prodding?  Joy!  Saturday's last supper sounds so much more fun.  I sort of doubt you'll be bored in the hospital.  Somehow they manage to have someone--nurse, doctor, window washer, tourist--stopping in every other minute, all for your benefit.  In between intrusions, maybe you'll be able to squeeze in a chapter or two in a good book, or watch the news cycle over and over and over on that little TV up on the wall.  Do please let us know how tomorrow goes.

• Redheaded1
    edited July 2014

Big D---go buy a racy magazine like Cosmo to take to the hospital.  The nurses won't stay out of your room.....LOL  ( I did this to my mother when she had breast surgery, it wasyears and years ago--- the issue that had Burt Reynolds centerfold.)  I was like 13 and she asked me to pick her up a couple of magazines, so I got Good housekeeping and Cosmo.   She was so groggy she didn't know what was going on for a day, and then when one of aids asked her if she could take the magazine to the nurses desk for a while, my mom got curious.....and then when she was ready to go home, she looked at the magazine, and had a fit.....HA. 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2014

Redheaded....you must have been a handful!  Great story....go for it BigD, sounds like perfect enticement for the nurses.  ((Hugs)).  

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited July 2014

Big D, checking in to let you know I will be in your pocket tomorrow. And of course on Monday, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Josie, I just know something better is going to come your way, don't give up. You have a lovely family, this is just a job, remember you need to be happy having this stress is not good for you at all. I know most need to have a paycheck so keep applying at places but please remember your health and YOU are so much more important, many that love you.

love to all xo

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2014

Checking in - was down with a summer cold for 3 days...working from home on  my vacation - required stuff for my job hit at the wrong time of year.  Resentful?  yes...resigned...and today, it's done.

Josie, there is a lot of advice here and I know it is probably difficult to fight for a job that is only bringing you stress and no peace.  I do think that they don't want to help you but probably don't want to fire you - if you want to make them mad, just don't quit.  Do your best and see what happens...I do think that there are a lot of good supportive comments here.  I am not informed enough.  

BigD/Joan, it must be difficult to try to keep your mind off worry.  We all know that worry doesn't change anything - it just costs us more than we needed to pay in the first place.  We are in your pocket and take all the time you need to get back to us.  Promise I won't worry...soon it will be behind you and you will be back on the road to recovery.  Sending hugs and prayers for a peaceful week end and a perfect outcome.

AnneB, hi, and I cannot believe you are still traveling!  You don't seem to sit still very long Happy

Brookside, saw you were up before the birds...those are my hours!  I hope you have a wonderful week end with your family!  Please take pix for yourself...what a memory.  And, you will be blessed with a cool, lower humidity week end.  Perfect!  I have a few powerful fans I got at Walmart which are great for keeping things cooled downstairs.  Upstairs I have bedroom AC units.  We talk every summer about getting central AC but house is not set up for it at all.  It will be a huge job.

Cindy, hope you are feeling well.  I am glad you hopped on that plane instead of sitting around waiting to see if you would get sick...good for you!  Rest up and keep a log of how it affected you so you can compare next time if you need it again.  

• joan811
    edited July 2014

Janis, I hope your birthday celebration is going well.  I cannot remember which day is your party...but I know your birthday has passed.  However, I do not remember seeing any birthday cake being eaten here...I hope it is not too late!  You deserve cake and endless beautiful desserts -- you have always baked and brought smiles to others.

Here's a little something so we can all celebrate during your endless party week!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANIS!!!   

and to be sure we have enough for everyone...some fancy cake balls!

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2014

Yes, Joan811, I'm usually up somewhere between 4:30 and 5:30.  Today I have to beat the house into order as my three kids, their wives, my six grandkids and one dog will all be here this weekend.  I've had weeks to get everything done, but somehow never found the energy.  I guess that energy better show up very, very soon if it's gonna happen at all.  So far, I've sat in front of the computer for about an hour.  I've opened the window in the guest room to air it out and gathered a pile of magazines and added it to another pile somewhere else.  Progress?

• anneb1149
    anneb1149 Member Posts: 821
    edited July 2014

Hi everyone

Brooks side- I wouldn't worry too much about having the house clean. Maybe picked up and the jitchen and bathrooms wiped down. With all those people in the house, it's gonna look like a tornado hit within the first couple of hours, no matter what you do. Save your energy to make memories and have fun. I guarantee your family will not remember how clean the house was, but they will remember the time they spend with you.

Joan811- that was my last trip for a little while, back during the first week of July. When we got home from that, I told everyone my goal was to spend more than 10 nights in the same bed. I have been in my Fl home for 13 nights, so I have met my goal. I have seen an Onc here and will be getting my next infusion here, and have also gotten a Rx for PT and LE therapy. I will probably head back to Ga the week of Aug 18th. That's the week school re- opens in Fl and I want to be here because one GS is starting Kdg, and another is starting middle school and I want to be here to hear about their first days. Then back to Ga for check- ups with my Onc and BS up there. Then it gets crazy again because my brother wants me to go to NY with him for a week in mid-Sept so all 4 siblings can be together, but I want to be at my DS's in Charlotte, NC in time for his 40th birthday Sept 24th. My original plan was to go to NY for several weeks in Oct, but my brother can't make it then. If this is starting to sound confusing, that's because it is. I tried figuring it all out one day this week and gave up because my head hurt. The good side of it is that I have so many places and especially people that want to spend time with me. 

Josie- I have been following your work issues, but haven't chimed in because I have no experience like that from which to offer advice. But I do agree with Lemon- please try to remember that your health and loved ones come first. Stress affects our health way more than I ever realized. My advice, for what it's worth, would be to work the hours you are supposed to, do the best you can during those hours, then leave the job there and go home. What gets done, gets done and what doesn't isn't your problem. As the work piles up, they will have only 3 options as I see it- one, fire you, which would give you unemployment and open them up for a lawsuit ADA wise, or two, increase your hours, or 3, hire someone extra. Whatever they choose to do, you are okay as long as you are working when you are there. I might even keep a log of what you do each day and how long each task takes, just as proof that you are not slacking off. And if you are working a little slower than before because of the meds you are on, that cannot be used against you- you are on Dr prescribed meds that are essential for your survival- not illegal drugs or even OTC meds for a cold or allergy. Boy, for someone who said she had no advice to offer, I sure did offer a lot. 

Anne

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2014

Those cake balls look so good! Yum! DH and I decided we have turned into sugar babies so we are laying off sugar stuff. 

Redhead-you are something else. I bet you were a handful. BR in his day was some kind of good looking guy. Still looks pretty good. 

Brookside - you are so funny talking about all those "visitors" to her room. A hospital stay isn't fun with all those interruptions and the bed..not comfy. Maybe Joan needs a Playgirl mag - is it still in print? 

Joan - installing central air is a huge and expensive job. If the house is comfortable with window units I wouldn't take it on. We are doing just that for now. Not bad at all. 

Big D - okay you have a lot of well wishers prayers and a crowd in your pockets so you are set. Do let us know if you can. 

Diane 

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited July 2014

Hi ladies -- just got home after 5 hours of pre-op testing.  Had blood and urine tests and what was strange was my creatinine and BUN levels were normal -- what's up with that?  They have been climbing for the past 3 months.  I thought I would have protein in my urine as well, but that was okay too.  The nurse who I was with for part of the morning has bc too, so we swapped stories.  She said my neurosurgeon and the other two surgeons in his business are the best at Medical City (where I am having the surgery) and he and another of his partners are becoming famous, being written up in magazines and are doing some cutting-edge procedures, so I am very lucky to have this man as my surgeon.  My BP was up, but I am nervous, although the internist I met with, who will be my attending physician after the surgery, said I may need additional BP meds.  I will have to talk to my PCP about that.  She said my EKG showed a little issue with my heart, but she was not too concerned.  But of course, I am overweight, borderline diabetic, so none of this is news to me.

I had a chest x-ray which is standard, then went for the Brain CT, then the Brain MRI and the MRV with contrast.  That took over an hour, and you know how uncomfortable that table is.  But all over now.  Since I had blood drawn on my left arm as my bc was on right side, when they tech went to put in the contrast on my left arm, he had a hard time finding a vein.  My veins, other than the one in the crook of my arm, are horrible.  One blew on him, and finally he got a line in on my forearm, but that hurts now too and I have huge bruises -- wonder what they will do on Monday.

My surgery will be at 1:00 p.m. CST on Monday, I must be there at 11:00 am.  I will be in Neuro ICU for 24 hours after the surgery, then hopefully moved out of there and to a special floor where they keep all the neuro patients.  I was not expecting to be in ICU - oh well.  The nurse said they will probably put a catheter in me because there is not a bathroom in each ICU room like there is in the regular rooms.  She assumes they will not want me trying to get up to walk to a bathroom.  Not happy about that either, but I am sure I will be too out of it to care.

I saw a copy of a report my neuro surgeon wrote after we met.  He says that even if the tumor is benign, there are lytic lesions all over my skull which they are very concerned about.  I am too, that is why I do not think this thing is b-9.  But again, won't know till the path report is issued.

Thank you again and again to each of you for being here for me.  I called my MO's nurse (he is on vacation this week) and talked her into having another doc refill my Xanax -- haha, and he did!  It is the only thing getting me off to sleep at night and I am going to have to find another way to get to sleep because I know I probably will not get another prescription filled for that.

Keep me in your prayers, I will be thinking of you (as soon as I am able to think), and I will be in touch as soon as I can.

Maybe I can call Janis, when I am able.

Brookside, you clean like me LOLOL -- and I have to force myself this weekend cause I sure won't feel like it when I get home!

Love you all, have a great weekend.  It was actually cool here today -- and in July, that is nothing short of a miracle!

BigD/Joan

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2014

Wow, BigD, you clearly get the most photogenic award, or at least the most photographed!  I never even heard of the MRV or MVR or whatever,and had to look it up. About the veins, if I had that problem, on Monday, I'd state very clearly that they could ony use one arm, with its very iffy veins, and you want the very best "sticker" they've got.  Also, you're going to want to talk with the nurse or the anesthesiologist about the blood pressure cuff they use in the OR.  I'm not sure about all this LE stuff, but my guess would be that, if they had to use the other arm for something, I'd rather they use it for fluids, not bp. 

And don't sweat the catheter.  I had one after my hysterectomy and bladder "hoist" and found I absolutely loved it.  No way did I feel like schlepping in and out of bed every hour or so (remember--all those IV fluids have to go somewhere).

Oh, and will you bring your own pillow?  I'd think your little head will want to be as comfortable as possible.

Meanwhile, Happy Weekend!   Clean little, enjoy lots.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited July 2014

Big D

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited July 2014

Big D, 

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!  You will be in my thoughts and prayers!!

Ohio

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2014

Big D, enjoy your weekend and put everything in the hands of the Lord on Monday.We will all be praying for you.We will all be waiting to hear from you.(((hugs)))

Anne, thanks so much for your kind response to my situation.

Joan,Lemon,April and anyone else I may have missed thanks so much for letting me know how much you care..

Redhead, cute story about the Cosmo.

Late night at the ERwith DD(oldest) female problems.6 hours later we finally got out of there.I was a tad perturbed.And could no longer hold it in and may have kind of let this young lady know about it.I was nicer than most people .Then they were falling all over themselves apologizing.I was tired and crabby.No dinner either..

She's fine BTW I tried to tell her that but didn't didn't want to take chances.

• edwards750
    edited July 2014

Dang Josie - glad DD is k, waiting and waiting in the ER is the pits. Done that a few times. You have permission to be crabby. Waiting in the ER defines frustration. 

DH and I did an early date night tonight. He had blood profile done. Don't know results yet of course. Heart is fine but looks like more basil cell growths needs to be removed. Already did that this year. Comes from years of framing houses to pay his way through college. At least it's that and not melanoma. 

Have a good weekend everyone esp BigD! 

Diane 

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2014

Thanks Diane.

Sorry to hear about your DH skin growths.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited July 2014

Big D, I am with Brookside the catheter is a convenience. I had one for my hysterectomy and complained till they removed it. This time for my MX I kept it in as long as I could. I really think they have come a long way and they aren't what they used to be. Big D when I had my surgery I had a line in my hand, arm and to my horror my FOOT! Just seeing it got me upset, it hurt badly. When I asked (whined) she said there or the neck! Both sound bad to me. Think happy thoughts as you fall asleep, ask them to play your favorite music in the OR it will calm you down and bring you peace. Sounds like you are in great hands. You are in my thoughts and prayers, I will be holding your hand tightly on Monday as I know we all will. I hope you can feel the support its filled with love.

AnneB sounds like you have a very full rest of summer right into the Fall. Do you think the PT helps with the LE? I was going but saw no difference and recently cancelled all my appts.

Sorry to hear DH has got some growths Diane. Mine has poison ivy very badly and it seems to be getting worse. I am staying as far away from him as possible, I don't need anymore issues. Big Artfest here tomorrow and they are calling for rain! Drats I was so looking forward to going.

Janis, Happy Belated Birthday, so sorry I am late. I am still eating some cake balls from Joan though..mmmm Let us know how the big party went with the kids.

Josie, glad DD is fine, your right we cant take chances with our babies.

XO

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

Big D I'm joining everyone else in sending calming, healing thoughts your way.  I'm glad you got some more Xanax because sleeping for the next few days is important, and I've no clue how you could manage it with out a little "help". Also, to help with the vein issue, try to drink as much water as you can before your cut off time...although if you're like me, you'll pee it all out from nerves, but it could help.  And, I don't know if this helps, but I had a surgeon tell me once that he might well end up keeping me in ICU a few days after my surgery but not to worry about it as he usually did that if his patients we assigned to a floor where he wasn't happy with the nursing staff.  He felt the level of care in ICU or recovery setting was much better.  So...don't worry about that part of this deal.  

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

Janis, my pal, is today the BIG PARTY DAY?  Are you dancing around in excitement?  Just chill and enjoy and savor the moment, and a few of the goodies too since you can now eat anything under the sun.  Have Fun Winking

• Redheaded1
    edited July 2014

Big D---I think all brain procedures are ICU.  My mom had a benign brain tumor behind her ear and was in ICU for a few days. then to Nuero ward, etc.   The catheters are a blessing, only if you have one and you actually feel like you need to pee, tell them.  You shouldn't feel any need to pee and you do not want to do any kind of "pushing' to pee with one in place.   I've had good ones nd bad ones.  Nurses know what to do, and they do all the really indignant stuff after you are out.  Wish I could be there to sit by your bedside.  Afraid your room would be really overflowing if all of us could be there, so just remember we are gonna be hanging onto your leg hairs under the sheet, since the gown won't have any pockets... So no restless leg stuff OK????  Then once in the OR< we will shift to invisible mode and be making sure everything is JUST PERFECT!  Lighting, mood music, instruments, monitors, counting sponges, you name it, we got you covered.

On a serioius note: Courage is fear that's said it's prayers. 

"I can do all things through Him that strengthens me".  

Prayers continuing to surround you from all directions.   ((((((((((HUGS< HUGS< HUGS)))))))))))))

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 2014

It's been several days since I have visited the thread (and much longer since posting) but I do want to tell BigD that I am thinking of you and hoping for strength, wellness and good news on Monday.

Josie, I really do admire how restrained you have been in the face of constant trial at your job.  I hope something else comes your way soon.

JANIS-I am way late to say happy birthday but I will anyway because seldom have I met anyone who deserves a happy birthday more than your sweet self!!!  

Hello to the rest of you lovely ladies, I am trying to read as much as I can.  Sending much love and caring thoughts.

Susan

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited July 2014

BigD you are in my thoughts and prayers.  You have so much love and support here, and we will lend you strength until you don't need it any longer.  When you relax and get into your surgery mode, just know we are right there beside you, holding each hand and soothing your every care.  Love and hugs, GiGi

SAB. Good to hear from you,  Joan, glad you are better.  Summer colds are the worst.

Hi to everyone else.  I made lasagna tonight.  Wish you could have all come by for some.  Just DH and me and I always cook so much!

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited July 2014

Thanks so much Brookside, 70Charger, OhioFan, Josie, Diane, Lemon, MostlySew, Redheaded, Susan, Cindy, Gigi, and anyone I have missed.  I am ready for Monday.  I have taken care of all the details I need to and will finish shopping on Sunday and pack a little suitcase.  Gigi, wish I could have had some of that lasagna, one of my favorite dishes!!  I had a lovely, lovely lunch today with friends and a surprise attendee.  A lady I had worked with a few years ago, and we had lost touch.  One of my other friends invited her and it was so wonderful to see her.  We had a lot of fun and I had not one, but two strawberry marguaritas!  A rarity for me.  Let's just say I was feeling no pain when I left.

I am in good hands and having you all with me means the world.  You all really do touch my heart and I just love how we all support each other in here.  It is late and I cannot sleep tonight, but I just took 2 Xanax so hopefully they will kick in soon.  Just going to keep myself busy tomorrow and put myself in the hands of my surgical team and God.  A week from now I will be home and hopefully feeling a lot stronger each day.  I actually went to Amazon and ordered two stylish chemo caps just in case I need to hide my scars for awhile or if I may need chemo after I get the dx on this tumor.  They really make some cute head covers these days.  I am just going to be happy to get the darn thing out of my head.

Bless you all for your continued support.

Much love,

Big D/Joan

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2014

Well, all my kids were here for my birthday--three sons, three daughters-in-law, six grandkids, aged  7,6,5,4,3, and almost 2, and one dog.   It was so wonderful!  This is the first time I've been alone with all of them in such a long time.  I insisted on cooking and hosting and, of course, stressed out because I realized I had no idea how to manage simultaneously feeding adults and small children.  No problem.  Had I only thought of it, I'd have realized the six kids have six parents, who, of course, worked it all out.

The  funniest thing was getting everyone down to the brook to play on the rocks and in the water.  Years ago, my three boys were perfecty capable of hiking through trees, brush, weeds, and whatever.  Now?  They looked at the path to the water and pronounced it impassable.  After quite a bit of "education," they grabbed a couple of loppers, and surgically removed every branch and sapling from a path about four feet wide.  Suburbanization has hit the country!

Yes, of course I thought of you, Janis, and hope your boys "meshed" as well as mine, and your birthday celebration continues joyfully onward.

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited July 2014

That sounds like a wonderful day, Brookside.  Happy, happy birthday! 

• edwards750
    edited July 2014

Brookside - sounds like you had fun with the family! How great is that!

Thanks Lemon and Josie - At least DH is getting the places taken care of. Gotta admit makes me nervous. One of my brothers had melanoma 17 years ago. The lady who cuts his hair found it. Thank God she did. He is fair skinned and blond and like some of us was exposed to the sun - a lot. I was worse - I was a sun worshiper. Hours and hours sunbathing. Thing is no one told us not to. All we knew was we looked good with our tans. Youngest son has a lot of moles that we have to keep an eye on as well. I am darker skinned but now have the proverbial family history. 

Joan - lighting a candle for you at Mass today. Btw I love those drinks - frozen! 

Diane 

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2014

Brookside - Happy Happy Birthday....ha ha into the woods :))) 

Janis - Bday 60! Party!

Yippee! Bday Party time...Happy Dancing...yeah, family time and special memories!

Next time zip line Brookside...yes, zip line...that should shake up those boys!

Maybe we can all zip over to GiGils for lasagne...yum

SAB, Lemon, Joan, Josie, Diane, Redhead, Sew....we can all zip line from there into BigDs pockets...:)

Sending calm confident healing thoughts&prayers...cakeballs, margaritas, playlist, oh and a Cosmo Classic just for you Joan!

Doing better on Zometa, but have not been very successful upping my vit C & vit D...even with 12 prunes the Big C ...gotta find a balance...ugh

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• joan811
    edited July 2014

Happy Birthday Brookside!

Your party sounds like a "best day ever' to  me!

I hope you have sweet memories. imagePS I chose my favorite traditional BD cake with buttercream and roses.  But just in case ... Something for everyone!