Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2014

Brookside, Happy Birthday.Sounds like a great time!!! Good for you.Quite a full house.Great story about your sons and the brookSmile

Big D.Glad to hear you had 2 margaritas.One for me and one for youWinking

Your in my prayers sweetie.I will be with you in spirit tommorow.

Cindy glad to hear your doing well since the Zometa.Remember potatoes are full of vit C also.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2014

Brookside, Happy Birthday, it sounds like it was just perfect!  And isn't it nice when the parents all chip in......

Joan...I've gained 2 lbs just looking at those sweets!

Cindy....12 prunes?  You go girl!  I think the "target" is 5 or so / day, but they won't hurt you.  How about yellow bell peppers along with that potato?  Or broccoli and catfish?  or sockeye salmon and kale with a guava side?  Ok, now I'm hungry for sure.....

Sab, good to hear your voice.  Keep checking in every so often.  Speaking of which, anyone heard anything from Run Free?  I'm sure she's quite well and enjoying summer vacation and European trips

BigD  thinking of you today.  Sending calm, deep breaths and gentle hugs.  I thought of Kate when you mentioned getting new hats/turbans/head coverings for your surgery.  Kate always loved dressing herself up for her surgeries didn't she.  Got a really great bed jacket?  You're going to have lots of visitors, well OK, some of us are virtual but that counts......

Jose.....yep, loving those days off.  They're the best thing for a working girl even if they do include yard work and laundry

Janis...are you off cloud nine yet?  Good send off to your next decade of living?  Welcome to the 60's girl....

Everyone.....enjoy the day.  I'm playing hookey in my sewing room and thoroughly enjoying myself.  No chores for me today although I did change the sheets on the bed.

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

Lemon, I forgot to ask, how're you doing with your healing.....getting along better now?  I sure hope so.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2014

BigD/Joan, quiet prayers for you and your medical team.  Wishing you a quick recovery and good report.  

• joan811
    edited July 2014

Am in Cape Cod for DH's 4 day annual conference.  He works; I do nothing.  Then we eat dinner and have ice cream.  No complaints!  Oh-it is raining. 

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2014

AGHHHH JOAN, now I am craving cakes in all different flavors!!!!

Brookside, sounds like a wonderful b-day.  So cool to have such a big family to be with. As a only child---I can only dream of that much activity surrounding me.

Big D--love those strawberry M's, frozen is best.  My late mom liked them too.  One time we went to CHICHI's and we usually had one a piece and wanted another one, so we split a pitcher.  And my mom stood up and said, OH SHIT, I don't know if I can walk......  And I said, OH YES YOU CAN, CAUSE IT IS 2:00 in the afternoon and I am not having the neighbors see me bring you home drunk in the middle of the afternoon.  ( I was in College an she was probably younger than I am now.....).    Sorry, I 've just really been missing my mom.  I think this is the second mom story I've shared.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited July 2014

Janis & brookside, happy b-day!

Big D  let us know ASAP  how things went.  Will have to keep busy tomorrow as I will be thinking of you & watching the clock.

Joan811  love those cakes

Josie  glad you r chillin.  Your workplace sucks.

cindy, here's to calcium & vit D, hope you find that balance soon.

I've been really busy with my fruit & garden coming in all at once.  So far have 18 bags (4 cups ea)

of saskatoons, picked & cleaned.  If Friday is as cold as it is suppose to be I'll be baking Saskatoon pies for the freezer.  Raspberries are turning & peas are filling out.  Have to do zucchini tomorrow too.  Laundry will have to wait.  Fruit & veggies first.  Except this weekend, we did 2 car shows.  Lots of fun, one even had the Japanese drummers from Edmonton.  Amazing!

Big hugs to all.

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2014

Love you all, just saying hi.  Love all your beautiful sentiments.  Means so much.  You are not virtual friends to me, you are the real deal.  Redheaded, don't ever be sorry about telling mom stories.  I love them.  I miss my mother too, lost her 40 plus years ago and it does not matter a bit.  How can you not miss your mom?  I think of her every day, especially now.  She went through cancer and suffered tremendously.  Back then there was no hospice care.  I think of her and how brave she was and I know I can be brave throughout this time as well.  I will let you all know as soon as I can.  I am going to pack my phone with me, even though they do not want me to bring anything of value, but I refuse to be without it.  So as soon as I am conscious enough to dig it out of my suitcase, I will either try to sign in here or I will call Janis and let her know to tell you all.  I know as soon as I wake up, I will be thinking about all of you.  I have been dizzy today and my legs gave out again, but I was by my sofa and just plopped down there real quick.  I have no idea if this thing in my head is having any effect on that, or if it is a cardiac issue, but sure wish I could get that fixed, if nothing else!  I am getting ready to shower with my Hibiclens from head to toe.  They want me to shower and wash my hair with it tonight and tomorrow morning to help guard against infection.  It does not smell very good, not like what I usually use to shower with hahaha.  But I am packed and ready, and tomorrow at this time this darn thing will be out of my head and I know that will give me some sense of relief. Then we will see what it is and what comes next.  One day at a time, with all of you here to help.  I am grateful.

BigD/Joan

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited July 2014

Hi all--I've been doing catch-up reading for hours and I'm still 3 pages back.  But I saw that BigD's surgery is tomorrow and I jumped ahead to wish her good luck.  You are so brave, Joan, and you are doing right by yourself!  All this testing, all this follow-through, and a thoughtful approach all around.  I will be with you tomorrow along with everyone else!  Big hugs!

I was horrified at the news about Kate--but I'm afraid not entirely surprised.  Much more to say but not tonight.  My trip to the UK was great (more details later), except on the day before I came home, my husband got bad news.  He'd been having a lot of blood in his urine for months, off and on.  His primary doctor blew it off in March, just said it was kidney stones, but at his physical in May, took a little more interest that it was still happening.  Urologist, various scans, cystoscopy, upshot:  bladder cancer.  Superficial, one tumor, decent location (low, where the wall is thick).  His surgery is tomorrow, same as BigD's.  We've been keeping it quiet because our daughter is away at creative writing camp.  Not a nature camp, so in fact she's on Facebook sometimes, and I've been afraid that someone could just post "thinking of you" to me and she'd wonder what's up.  We thought it was important to wait until she got home to tell her in person, especially because her 17th birthday is tomorrow also, so she'll get home expecting belated birthday attention--and we want to give her that, maybe wait until the next day, then tell her.  But we had to tell our son today because he's home and will obviously know his dad had surgery.  He took it well.  I thought he'd say, "WHAT???? I'm only 14 and now BOTH of my parents have had cancer???" but he was calm.  It helps that my mother had similar, though actually a tad more serious, bladder cancer 16 years ago and has been fine since.  And now here's Kate having lost her battle with the same disease.  I have been taking notes on various posts and will respond more when I can.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited July 2014

Brookside Happy, Happy Birthday.  I am so glad you had such a wonderful family gathering to help you celebrate!  It sounds like so much fun.  Sons cutting a path to the brook.  Very cool.,

RunFree glad to hear from you.  Sounds like your DH has the most curable kind of bladder cancer, thank goodness.  It isn't the same kind Kate had.  I presume any chemo he has will be administered right into the bladder and onto the surface.  Hopefully this will go smoothly and he will be fine.  I know another extended family member who is dealing with the same thing.  He has had his surgery and is back to normal and he is 80 plus years of age.  

Janis, I hope you have had a wonderful time.   Cindy it sounds like you are doing very well.  Hi to everyone else. BigD tucked snugly into your suitcase, ready to jump into your pocket, as soon as you have one.  Meanwhile we will be scurrying about keeping an eye on things to make sure you are getting the best of care. God's grace will carry you and give you comfort, my dear.

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

run free, it's good to hear from you, but I'm so sorry to hear about your husbands cancer and surgery tomorrow.  What a severe trial for your whole family, but at least they figured out what his symptoms are all about.  I agree with Gigil that his is probably a very different cancer than Kate had, and remember she also had lung cancer, but none the less, it's a scary thing to go thru.  We, however, are great at multi tasking around here, and will all be with you (and him) for the surgery tomorrow along with being with Big D......let us know how he does.  Sending big (((hugs)))

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2014

Woke up thinking of you,BigD/Joan, hoping you managed to sleep, and hoping even more for an absolutely excellent outcome to your surgery.  I'll be sending  thoughts and prayers, especially.  Sending prayers when you wake up, while you drive to the hospital, while they ask you those same questions over and over, while they start your IV in the right place, and all through your surgery and after.  I'm really pleased you'll be sneaking your phone in.  They always advise against valuables, of course, but I always bring exactly what I want.  Like you, I live alone, usually drive myself to the hospital, and need my phone, license, money, and so forth. I've never lost anything, and am absolutely counting on your phone being right there next to you when you wake up. Just in case, you will copy down all those phone numbers however, yes?

Wishing you the very best result and the very best, most comfortable, recovery, and, well, just waiting to hear.  XOXOXOX

Ohh, RunFree, .What rotten, and surprising, news!  Thank goodness it sounds manageable, but we all know how shattering even a manageable cancer is.  Sending prayers to you and DH, and special prayers for your kids too!

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Big D I'm saying a prayer for you right now.I wish I could be there for you in person.Good luck.

RunFree, I'm sorry to hear about your DH.But it sounds  like they caught it early.Keep us posted.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2014

BigD - we've got you surrounded in prayer and our arms {{{squeeze}}} trusting that you will receive the best care and receive the best news xo!

RunFree - good to hear from you, but oh so sorry hubby is facing bladder cancer.  Praying all goes well today. And take care of you too!  Having lived through TURBs and TURPs and BCG tx and all that comes with them...my thoughts&prayers are with you both.

Busy pocket party day...were all in!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• 70charger
    edited July 2014

Double pocket party!  wow talk about having split personalities.  Run free  so nice to finally hear from you, can't wait to hear about that trip.  Really sorry to hear about hubby, will be in your pocket today, fingers crossed along with everything else.  Big D, glad phone is with you, in your suitcase as well.  Hugs to anyone who needs one today.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited July 2014

BigD/Joan, you are in my thoughts as you are probably in surgery right now. HUGE hugs and know we are there with you today.

Runfree, so sorry about hubby! I know he will do well as they caught it early as you said and bladder cancer can be highly curable in the early stages. HUGS!

Brookside and Janis, hoping your birthdays were fabulous!

I am also very worried about my husband right now. As I may have mentioned, he has lost quite a bit of weight recently without any reason for doing so. (23 lbs in 3 1/2 months) so he had some blood work and a physical and it came back that he is anemic (more so than he was before cause that came back last year that way at this yearly as well) and so the doctor set up an appt. with a blood oncologist as he has not a clue what is going on. Nothing else is amiss and all of his other labs were normal and his spleen is not enlarged nor is anything else he said. Totaly mystery. Hoping it is NOT leukemia as that was the first thing I thought of.

In my research, I found that people who take a lot of n'saids can become anemic and hubby is one for popping ibuprofen like candy. I have been BEGGING him to not do this, but he has a lot of knee pain and hip pain so he doesn't listen to me. Anyway, sweating this now. Always somethin....

At work so gotta run as usual. Working the "later shift" today (hate this cause I get tired easier from the aromasin these days) so will not be out of here until 7PM tonight...UGH! Talk later.

BigD - God speed!

• 70charger
    edited July 2014

OH NO April!  Fingers crossed that all turns out ok for you guys.  Gosh that is the LAST thing you need going on.  BIG HUGS (( ))

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

April, I'm so sorry to hear about the scare with your hubby's anemia.  Here's hoping that they can identify the cause quickly, and that it's something easily treated.  Good luck, girl, as Charger said, this is the last thing you guys need to be dealing with.  Let us know....I'm sending healing prayers as I type.......

• josie123
    edited July 2014

My oldest DD and her new puppy.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2014

Josie---they are both adorable.  Think they belong together.

Just keep Praying for BIG D.  I know it will be a few days probably before she can get word to us. Brain surgery is really the pits for the first couple of days.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2014

BigD/Joan - we sure can't be without our phones no matter what. Hope everything turns out okay. We will all be waiting to hear. 

Run Free/April - sorry about your husbands. Does sound like they caught it early. Maybe your DH will finally listen to you April. So far, so good with the tests. I knew Kate had bladder cancer but didn't know she had lung cancer as well. Too much to bear. 

Josie - they are both precious! 

Diane 

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Redheaded, thanks.

April, Hope, your husbands anemia is nothing too serious.

Big D / Joan thinking about you tonight.Hoping all went well today.

• princessrn
    princessrn Member Posts: 270
    edited July 2014

run free ..sorry about your DH. I hope it goes well

Big D good luck as well

I'm new. I had Ct and markings today. Start Wednesday. Not sure how many we will see 

• princessrn
    edited July 2014

Josie.... what a beautiful girl!

• princessrn
    edited July 2014

Josie.... what a beautiful girl!

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Princessrn, thanks.

Good luck with Rads.Make sure you drink plenty of H20 and rest when your tired.Some of us had skin issues that were worse than others.

Moisturize, and don't be surprised if you notice a little swelling and redness don't be alarmed.My swelling lasted months afterwards.

• joan811
    edited July 2014

thinking of BigD Joan ...

Run glad you are back. What a shock for your DH and all of you. 

Am anxious to hear how surgery went. Am sending prayers for the best possible report. 

April am concerned about your DH and sending prayers for his dx and return to better health.  

Josie great pic and big puppy!

Princessrn, there is a lot of radiation experience on this thread. Please feel free to ask anything or just report in.   We remember the anxiety and exhaustion that the rads schedule can cause.  Most of us have recovered quickly and life is pretty normal.  Wishing you the best possible expeurience. 

Trying to sleep in a hotel but not so easy for me.  Tomorrow should be sunny and humid-maybe a beach day.  No plans yet. 

Hope tomorrow brings some good news from our friends here. 

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2014

Josie, your daughter is soooooo gorgeous.  Clearly, she takes after her mother!   Puppy cute, but daughter awesome!

BigD/Joan, thinking of you and hoping you're feeling better today than yesterday.  Rest, relax, heal.

RunFree, hoping your husband's surgery went absolutely perfectly and is feeling well enough to eat you out of house and home.

April, pretty disconcerting news about your husband's blood work.  More tedious testing, I suppose?  Hoping for good news soon.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited July 2014

Thanks so much for the support everyone!  Quick check-in--my husband's surgery yesterday went well, doctor seemed to think the tumor was as he expected, which is to say, superficial.  To my husband's delight, everything seemed to be working well enough that he didn't need a catheter going home.  It all took longer than we thought, and we didn't get home until 8 pm.  My husband was sore, lots of blood still, but producing enough urine post-op and doing OK.  Then about 1 am, he stopped being able to pee.  This was one of the things they said to look for, plus he was miserable.  He woke me up and we went to the local ER, and he got a catheter.  He's more comfortable today, learning to walk around with this thing, sort of bummed that it had to come to this but very grateful that he could get relief so quickly.  Path results back by Friday.  I'll try to write properly but I'm also in the middle of a big and very time-sensitive work project, and I'm at the helm of this one.  It's a bit much.  I'm exhausted.

April, so scary about your husband.  There are so many things it could be, no?  I'm glad you are pushing.  As I often say to my husband, "there's a reason married men live longer than single men, and you're welcome for the nagging!"  I bet you haven't truly been nagging but you know what I mean.  Good luck.  Like everyone else, I'm hoping it turns out to be something easily fixed.

Josie, your daughter's a knockout and that puppy's not bad either!  Great picture!

princessrn, welcome!  There's a wealth of information about rads on this board, although we talk about lots of other stuff too.  Aren't you also on the running thread?

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Joan, Thanks, .BTW how's the trip? Not sleeping well? That is no fun.

Brookside, thanks but not true she definitely doesn't take after me.I was never that pretty.

RunFree, thanks for the nice comments about DD. Sorry to hear DH had a rough time overnight.I'm really surprised they didn't automatically leave a catheter in overnight.