Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2014

Diane, good at least you can stay cool.What a nice neighbor.Window units actually can do a good job too.I know we couldn't afford a new a/c unit.But luckily my brother is a heating and cooling guy.He does it on the side now that he works for the gas company.But that saves us a lot of labor.Although I should offer to bake him something or make him dinner.I guess I never thought of it.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2014

I'm sure he knows you appreciate him Josie. Yes def blessed with nice neighbors. After having to buy a refrigerator, washer, dryer, dry vac, weed eater, siding and even a new coffee maker lately we are "spent." What happened to things coming in threes? All our kids are out of the house- maybe youngest son temporarily - and all their college bills finally done - we thought we might get a respite. Not to be. Can we borrow your brother? 

Diane 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2014

Janis,  i'm glad to hear you're having such a great time.  And, it's almost Party Time.  That will be delightful.  A hike tomorrow on your birthday sounds wonderful.  Enjoy and Happy Birthday

Anneb...welcome.  Great story about your poor neighbors and the absent suitcase.  What a parental nightmare..but i bet the kids loved it

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Diane, that would be great but he only does jobs in the St.Louis area.I know you don't live around us do you?

I would be broke too after all the new appliances.We sure got a deal on our used dryer.I think it was only $150.And it's doing a great job.They guarantee it for 6 months .

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2014

A very happy birthday, Janis.  Party, party, party.Here's hoping those two boys/men will rediscover what they've always loved about each other.

Sticking with you today, Josie. Hope all goes well.

Having a good time imagining your Dr. Seuss book about the lumpy, bumpy boobs, Lemon.  Would certainly revolutonize the world of kiddie literature!  I'm hoping your mom is doing well and her blood pressure is back in the well-behaved range.

So happy to hear about how you've gotten hold of all those A/C units.  My three kids and their families will all be here this weekend, and I have nothing.  If it's going to be really hot, I guess I could bring my office window unit home.  Only one kid will be sleeping over, so I could put it in their window at night, maybe in the living room during the day. 

• josie123
    edited July 2014

BROOKSIDE, good for you.I hope it's not too hot.Enjoy.Family reunion!!

Janis, Happy Birthday!!!!!

• edwards750
    edited July 2014

Josie - I was just kidding about your brother but thanks and I live in Collierville, Tennessee - not exactly down the street from you! 

Is your meeting today? 

Diane 

• edwards750
    edited July 2014

Brookside- a family reunion is fun. Its all about being together. If I were you I would bring the unit home. When we lived in mid-town my DH and I had 1 big window unit that cooled the whole house. We put it in our dining/great room area. Actually it's  tolerable here in Tennessee - not blistering hot for a change. Also we have ceiling fans in every room and 2 box fans. Do you any fans? They do help too. I leave them on non-stop. I am incredibly hot natured. Also leave all the blinds closed to keep out the sun. It's like living in a tomb but the house is cooler. 

Have fun!

Diane 

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2014

Janis, I hope you are having a fabulously fun birthday!!! 

Josie, thinking of you as well.

Welcome Anneb!

Tomorrow is my last day at work prior to surgery.  Getting all ready for the big day. 

Hugs to you all!

BigD <3

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited July 2014

Happy Birthday Janis. Hope you are having a nice day.  You still have your party to look forward to. Yay!  I am excited for you.  Hi to everyone.  BigD/Joan thinking about you and I will be in your pocket keeping an eye on things!  Josie, the beat just goes on, doesn't it?  Wow!  

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Well, The meeting took place today.I thought for sure I was going to be fired.Nope, they started the meeting off with a written response to my letter of accommodation.They really didn't state in there that they couldn't accommodate me in so many words but they stated the one of the essential functions of the job is to obtain precertification from the insurance companies.I tried to get my point across that I  thought maybe they could let me get caught up by giving me a extra day or at least a few extra hours on a tues or thurs.Their response was they have seen me come in on those days for a few hours and They don't see me getting caught up and They can't pay me for an extra day or even a few hours if it doesn't include something like doing a bone density in which they would in turn get paid for.Does that make sense.I couldnt remember the exact words she used.

They said they were taken off guard by the letter.They said they felt like they have been trying and trying to help me but to no avail.

• josie123
    edited July 2014

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Gigil, I guess I did try an explain myself and why I'm suddenly not able to keep up.I talked about my cancer, recovery,tamoxofin and how I really notice how it affects my concentration and maybe my performance.But I also made it clear that I tried to cut back on my meds but decided that is not smart to do.My health is too important to take chances with.Her response was they can't nor have ever made provisions to employees if their medication is affecting their performance.

• gigil
    edited July 2014

what would I do in this situation?  I would put it all in writing.  I would first of all keep a detailed time log for two weeks, showing the time you spend on the phone, and the time you spend running tests.  At the end of that time, I would ask for a meeting and present it to them.  If it shows the time needed is more than they give you, ask them how they suggest you remedy the situation.  I find it interesting that they notice you coming in on your own time.  They want you to do part of your job for free!

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2014

I am not surprised they did not fire you.  And I agree with GiGi, put it in writing.  If it is not in writing, it did not happen.  And asking them for their suggestion as to how to deal with this situation is a great idea.  Put it on them to tell you what to do.  Love the photo and the saying.  All true.  Amen.

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Gigil, they did address the time log in the letter and They said they are aware of my duties and They do not see how logging my activity is an accommodation that enables me to perform the essential functions of my duties.This was taken straight from the letter.So why waste my time it sounds like that's not an option in their book.

But thanks for all your advice and hard work ok n the letter.I kind of knew it would turn out like this because I know how they are.

Sometimes I really hate my life.I know I shouldn't say that but it's just miserable on days like today.I wish I could quite.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2014

Josie I absolutely love that photo and quote.  Amazing simple words of wisdom.  You my dear have done so well and have been so strong.  I follow your struggle and know the job is so unsettling.  Still, handling it with dignity is the way to go.  Big hugs!

• edwards750
    edited July 2014

I wish you could quit too Josie. I'm sure you are tired of the constant tug of war with them. Doesn't sound like they are especially sensitive to the SEs of the meds you are taking. Tamoxifen does interfere with concentration; it certainly was a problem on my job too. Btw my bosses weren't all that sympathetic either. For now you are in the proverbial rock and a hard place so I would keep applying any and everywhere. You will find another job. It's easier when you have one already. 

Diane 

• gigil
    edited July 2014

Josie, UGH those people are impossible!  They have missed all points completely!  Sorry you have to put up with them.  I agree with Diane.  It is easier to get a job when you have one.  I woukd double my efforts.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited July 2014

((((Josie)))) What the point of the whole letter was is that you have a cancer related disability and you are asking them to accommodate you with extra time to complete your duties or to reduce the work load or to give you some help as these are all things that could help you to catch up/keep up. They are REQUIRED to do so unless it creates undue hardship on them (and it is on them to prove this) and so I don't see why you should have to back down.

Cancer is protected under the ADA and you have rights.  Call the EEOC in Missouri and ASK them how specifically you should proceed and that you are not yet filing a case with them and that indeed you are trying your best to AVOID it going that far. They may be able to guide you or tell you that you indeed do not have recourse. I am betting they can tell you how to move forward and you will be more comfortable knowing you are following the letter of the law. I would not let them have the last word on this Josie because you have rights too. If the EEOC tells you that you have already done all you can with the letter, then drop it and look hard for another job (which you are probably doing anyway) because you are always more employable when you are already employed so don't quit whatever you do! But, find out the specifics of your case so they don't ride roughshod over you!

Hugs chica!

BigD, in your pocket today and tomorrow for the surgery chica! xoxoxo

Heading to the shower for work now so gotta run as usual! xo

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2014

I'm glad the letter was OK; your first response kind of scared me.  The one thing any of us want to avoid at all costs is getting poor Josie into more trouble.  Interesting that they've acknowledged their awareness that she is coming in on her day off and responded only by discouraging her from logging her time.  Uh, huh.  Don't want her to log the hours they are required to pay her for.  Sleaze alert!  Hostile workplace alert!  They do not have a history of accomodating employees whose performance is affected by medications.  Probably nobody every asked before.  In my ever so humble opinion, they are scamming her, and I withdraw my original thought that maybe they are really trying to help her, albeit in a completley backwards manner. 

• edwards750
    edited July 2014

One other thing Josie. I had a job years ago that I didn't want but needed. Small office dad and daughter owned the company. The dad was elderly but really nice; the daughter flitted in and out of the office - she was going through a bitter divorce. One other employee worked there. She had been with them for years. Set in her ways would be an understatement. She was critical and constantly on my case. It was clear from the get go she didn't want me there. Previous people who had my job were ones who just let her control everything, including them. Dated place and a hike from my house. 

Anyway she challenged everything I did and then resorted to making silly accusations that were untrue. I was tired of being on the defensive. So it happened - it was inevitable I lost it one day. No bad language of course but I let her have it. I knew the risk but I did it anyway. She was stunned and tried to defend her actions. That was almost as bad as her actions. They didn't pay her squat so of course I was the one who was gonna go. Btw they didn't pay me a lot either. So I knew the next time it would be the last. Didn't happen then but shortly thereafter my son got into a situation and needed me with him. Game over. The daughter was hateful when she said turn in my key to the office but the sense of relief was enormous. I've had jobs I dreaded going to before but this was the worst. 

A few months later I got a job at FedEx so it did have a happy ending. I had actually forgotten applying for that particular job. I applied online constantly. Also, monster.com and career builders.com were helpful. I got several interviews from those websites. 

So even though the economic situation is different now I had applied everywhere in town and it paid off and it will for you too- when you least expect it. 

Diane 

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Big D, Is your surgery tommorow .I thought it was Monday? Thanks for the support.I will be with you in spirit.

Diane, Janis,Gigil, April thanks so much for the support and encouragement.

I will work on getting some more resumes out today.I applied online the other night for a position.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2014

Josie,

I'm so sorry about all this stress at work.  You deserve a break.  Here's to job hunting and finding just the right one.......

• gigil
    edited July 2014

Josie, April gives good advice.  My advice to you is to find a legal aid office and get an appointment.  Tell them everything, and they will help you protect your rights.  You are dealing with folks who are either ignorant of the law or choosing to ignore it.  My guess is, they need some schooling!  If you don't have legal aid, call the State Bar Association and ask for a list of lawyers doing pro bono work.  They are all required to do some.  Pro bono means for free.  You need a lawyer girl!  P.S.  Bring all of your paperwork with you.

• gigil
    edited July 2014

BigD in your pocket along with all of your warrior friends here and the special angels you have on loan.  Ready, willing and able!  Hugs!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2014

BigD - in your pocket and sending calm confident thoughts&prayers!

Josie - great advice from all above and yes yes to Sews love those who love you!  Document and seek free legal aide while applying...toes&fingers crossed.

Janis - Happy Bday!  Enjoy your family:)

Brookside - family reunion fun:) ...isn't your Bday soon:)

Diane - sorry about the AC GRRR :( in the window it goes...cooler summer please.

Bunkie - hee hee dogie made the flight...BT is here...enjoy...you so deserve some good times and company :)

TX Hill Coubtry getting much needed rains...but heavy...porch time and watch the lightening. 

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2014

Josie, the logbook is to prove the hours you need to work in order to accomplish your tasks.  They have already acknowledged (hopefully in writing) that they are aware you have been working extra hours (as they orginally OK'd, and found did the trick).  Please do keep your logbook, including the extra hours, as it is a legal document.   They are only pretending to misunderstand your letter, hoping they can bully you into thinking you have no rights, and hoping you will not prepare your work log.  After you meet with your pro bono or legal aid attorney, he or she will tell you whether to submit it just now, or wait.  I do not think they will fire you, as they are probably very much aware that you would have a very good case.

Whether they have made accomodation for medication related issues in the past is not material to your situation.  You have made a personal request about you, yourself; past history is of no significance.

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2014

Thinking of you, BigD/Joan, and hoping I recall correctly that tomorrow is all your presurgical stuff (whole day?), and Saturday is Girls' Night Out, and Monday is surgery.  Can't wait to hear that it's all over and you're doing just fine.  I hope you'll be able to get online at the hospital?  Whether you can or cannot, we'll be sending thoughts and wishes and prayers.  Gosh, on the one hand, it's so exceedingly wonderful that they can do this amazing surgery.  On the other hand, I know this whole situation is stressful beyond belief.  My guess is adrenalin will have you racing around getting your house all spiffy, so there'll be absolutely nothing to do when you get home. 

• edwards750
    edited July 2014

BigD - thinking and praying the surgery goes well. 

Diane