Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2014

Cindy - thanks do far, so good with the a/c units. As for veggie garden - not happening. Flowers only. Hard to get anything to grow with a black thumb..haha. DH said I only like 10 veggies. true. Seriously flowers are doing well. No life support yet. 

Diane 

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2014

Diane, I too have a black thumb.My flower garden is now a weed garden.I seem to have no problem growning weeds though.

Yes wouldnt that be a party if we could all get together?As long as Janis brings the cakeballs!!

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2014

Big D---rest up and stay on top of the pills.  That is my drug of choice when I hurt.

Run-sounds like you have raised a wonderfully mature young lady.  Kudo's. 

Lemon, my besty lives in Munroe Falls Ohio and I don't get to see her nearly enough.  I have a handful of friends and a ton of what I call acquaintances.  the ones you truly bond with are rare treasures.

I just blurted out my diagnosis to closest friend in town, who is a thyroid cancer survivor, and she knew just what to say to help me over the hysteria. and then to my poor 86 year old dad.  Its hard to find the right words, cause its just not something that means nothing--it affects everyone..

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited July 2014

Been busy , fruit is coming in along with veggies.  I about 20 bags of Saskatoons in the freezer 4 cups per bag.  Rasberries just coming in, have 2 1/2 bags in freezer,  Picked peas & Saskatoons this morning, now making my all day lasagne.  Friday made 1 lemon, 2 sakatoon pies, buns, & chili for freezer.  It is suppose to be high 80's all week so I have got myself a little 2 burner hotplate so I can do my blanching outside & not heat up the house.  Oh plus the grandkids will be here this week & next.  I'm Tired.

Big D  Rest up girl & pop those pills when u need to

Run  Glad to hear hubby is doing better, lets hope the worst is over & you can breathe easy.

Josie you are sounding better.  glad for that.

Lemon  hope things are looking up for you soon.  Recovery sucks anyway you look at it.

Cindy  What a whirlwind you are, busy busy.  Take a moment for yourself.

Big hugs to all  Sorry if I've forgotten anyone.  Have to go get 2 big zuchinni done up,  The last 2 yielded 18 shredded cups.  Oh my.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2014

70's charger---what is a Saskatoon?  A berry of some kind??

• 70charger
    edited July 2014

yes they are kinda like a blueberry but sweeter & the bushes grow up to 15 ft tall.

Once picked you have to wash & inspect each berrie for bugs etc.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2014

Ha Ha Charger...your garden and canning and cooking...now that is a whirlwind...yes, what is a Saskatoon? Challenge of city life...:)

BigD - hugs & meds

Lemon - u r amazing

RunFree - hope DH is better, your project on schedule, and your dd is :D

Joan - pocket full for mammo...rowdy {{{squeeze}}}

Question...sent GS video of r pup...gave him several names in the running...he picks Riley...cute...but I just realized it's my sisters new gd name...they live out of state...is it just flattering oh and pup is a boy!  Riley is hubby's 1st choice too...next week is pup kindergarten he is a sweetie...socialize with kids :). My GS is terrified of dogs:( sad our dog was my sons best playmate early  years slept on bottom bunk.

Josie - hoping he will walk & kayak & fish with me...working on training as service dog. Luvs his chunkie monkey:). Hope you bil had a great weekend and FIL is ready for his next step:)

(((Hugs)))

Cindy 

• 70charger
    edited July 2014

RMlulu, guess we posted at same time lol.  look above for the picture of Saskatoons that I posted.Happy

• rmlulu
    edited July 2014

Charger...YUMMY!  I see pie :))) organic natural sugar ....ah sweet dreams 

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited July 2014

70's Charger I wonder if your Saskatoons are the same as our Juneberries in North Dakota.  Taste description sounds the same.  OK I googled it and they are the same.  We have a hard time finding them in North Dakota nowadays.  They are sooo good.  Nothing better than a pie made with these little gems.  My grandmother used to make the best!

• 70charger
    edited July 2014

for all my ladies to enjoy.

• rmlulu
    edited July 2014

Charger - perfect!  Sitting on my porch cup of green tea, pup resting at my feet.  Forgot pups get up early, outside business, eat, play, we are both resting. Ice cubes great fun...FitBit already has 2390 steps and it's only 7:30 am. 

Yummy pies :D can smell all the way down in the heart of TX!

Breakfast Ladies!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2014

So glad your DH's post surgical issues are getting less and less alarming, RunFree.  Maybe by today he'll be absolutely back to normal.  Hoping!  Also hoping for nice,normal days for your guys, Cindy and April and Janis (everyone else, too!).

RunFree, you raised a very interesting point about how cancer is viewed today.  Thank goodness for all the technical and chemical advances over the years, and the stastics too. 

BigD/Joan, I hope you're feeling well.  Please do not feel you need to post the entire book right away--A quick note just to let us know you're OK (or feeling perfectly lousy) would be most welcome.

• gigil
    edited July 2014

70's Charger, drooling here.  Oh how I remember the taste of those pies.  

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited July 2014

70charger your berries and pie look fantastic! You made me laugh with your "raging fish wife" comment about the traffic--I'm going to use that one.  Cindy I wonder if you should really
    change that puppy's name. Could lead to so much confusion! Very very
    cute though. I love chocolate labs--that's what he is, right?

Lemon, so sorry about your difficult recovery.  What a drag.  You seem to have a really good attitude about it but I'm sure it's not a picnic. I hope you are comfortable until you can have the surgery and then I hope the touch-ups work perfectly.  You deserve that.

My
    husband continues to have good flow and went back to work today, over an
    hour drive. He got the path report over the phone today too. It
    turned out the doctor wasn't planning to tell him any findings until his
    scheduled follow-up on Wednesday. Could they have mentioned that???
    But my husband asked a couple of times and the doctor called him back. All results are very good--clean
    margins, low grade, superficial, Stage 0. Phew! But he is still achy
    in his kidneys, which the doctor said was a bit puzzling. Could lead to
    more imaging. I am wondering if it's muscular, like he's just been
    holding himself funny. He thought maybe.  Redheaded, thanks for telling me about your dad.  My stepdad had awful trouble with his urinary system after he had too many radiation seeds implanted for prostate cancer (I think over 40).  It was cath in, cath out for the last several years of his life.  Poor fella.  My mom got very breezy about it, and I imagine I would too if my husband continued to need this kind of help.  I hope we won't need those skills though!

• princessrn
    princessrn Member Posts: 270
    edited July 2014

run free...glad DH is doing better.  that is so nerve wracking!

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Charger, nice pies.Yummy!!

Bad day at work.Too bad to even talk about too much.On the bright side someone responded to one of my applications.I got a phone call today while I was at work.I will call tomorrow before I go into work.Uniform fitting.Yay me....Then they want me to stay after for a while to try and train this lady so she can do the 4 bone densities they have scheduled next Monday while I'm out for my dental work.

Really? Doesn't make sense..Pray this job lead works out.Because I know you all are tired of hearing me complain about my current job situation.

Run free, good to hear your DH is feeling better and path report was as good as that.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2014

Josie, I caught that...uniform fitting...assuming it's your weight loss (congrats)
    I hope you get that new job opportunity soon.
    Cindy, yes, back from Cape Cod - stopped at DD's in Cohasset MA which turned out to be stressful (they are separating but all still living in same house...living separate lives, taking turns with kids...kids are very different.  Charlotte seems sad...tense in the home)...got home and slept all day Saturday.
    Thanks for remembering my mammo.  I was nervous.  Three years out now...and mammo is normal.  I am grateful and relieved.  Smile
    So, Cindy, if I run 5-6 miles a day, does that mean I can have blueberry pancakes for breakfast?  It's so worth it!

BigD/Joan, welcome back and  don't rush the recovery...it sounds like you are doing well.
    I agree with Cindy...the Princess Warrior Coat is warranted here.

We have red cherry tomatoes appearing on our potted plants on our deck.  I wondered if the birds would get them so researched - sounds like birds will peck for the insides and squirrels will bite and toss relentlessly...I took no chances.  I picked anything with color and will ripen on the kitchen counter.

Janis, still waiting for the party patrol reports!  Glad you are home OK. 

Anyone heard from Bunkie?  Hope you are having fun, if you are lurking!

Lemon, it bends my mind to imagine going from Ohio to NY in under 3 hours.  Must be northeastern OH and southwestern NY!  My brother lives in Dayton and it takes about 11 hours from my house.  I am thinking of going in August...have not seen him in years. 
    By the way, Lemon, you can vent all you want.  You have been through a lot and I have learned a lot from your decisions.   Hope you are feeling good this week.  (Did you win?) 

Run, what a saga with DH.  It sounds like the news is good and he just has to mend...so typical for a guy to be back to work between ER visits!  Are you off for the rest of the summer, or are you working?  I treasure each day that I wake up and don't have to be somewhere or grade papers or plan.  Loving this summer.

My DS took my beach passes back to Chicago with him.  He has not mailed them yet...I need them!  We've been going to the beach at 5 PM when they stop checking.

here seems to be a common theme of not having friends available nearby to meet up with as we get older.  When I went to grad school 10 years ago, and then to a full time job, I just let relationships go...I had no time.  Now I regret that. 

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Joan, congrats on the good Mammo.The uniform fitting is because they are getting new uniforms and everybody has to get fitted.Unfortunately I didn't stay on my diet so no weight loss here.But I'm still in a medium so I guess that's not too bad.

• josie123
    edited July 2014

OK I got an interview with a employment agency on Thursday.They said the trend in employers lately seems to be a temp to full time position.Where they can try out a new employee as a temp and hire them if they like them.She said this may work out on my days off that way I could try out a position while working my current job.

• edwards750
    edited July 2014

I didn't know what a Saskatoon was either. Pies look delicious. I am such a sugar baby. 

RunFree- good news for your DH. Mine is monitoring his BP. Running high. May have to take meds. Lots of stress and pressure@work. 

Cindy- what a precious dog. I am such a major dog lover. Btw my youngest granddaughter's name is Riley. I like that name. 

Lemon- there will be an end to your pain and suffering. You have been through so much. 

Josie- hope the job works out. Working there on your off days is a good ideas. Hopefully you like it but if you don't at least you aren't giving up your current job...yet. No worries with complaining about your job. That's what this forum is about. Nothing is exempt. We are all sharing the good, the bad and the ugly. I bailed on my job and took early retirement from FedEx. Multiple reasons. I know it's tough when you want to quit...and you will. 

Joan - just curious why do you need beach passes? 

Diane 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2014

Josie, the temp to permanent especially if you can do it on your days off sounds just perfect.  You can try them out, and they you and you wanted to work more hours, I think, so that sounds like a win win.  

Joan,  loved the vacation report, sounds delightful.  I actually like going to beaches at 5 pm when they're deserted, much more peaceful I always feel.

Busy Busy Busy and I'm still battling this *(7*^ intestinal thing.  4 months now.  Too long.  Finally getting tired.  Haven't lost an ounce, but then again, I keep trying lots of foods since I can get away with it...... we all need some perks in life!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2014

Josie, a part time job on your days off sounds good--more money!  Do not, however, count on the "temp to permanent" line.  Employers do not want to pay benefits, so permanent temp is more like it.  My son the headhunter (executive recruiter) specializes in these temporary positions.  Almost always, his positions are long term (a year or longer), highly paid (often six figures), and will not morph into permanent positions until the economy starts sizzling. 

There are exceptions, of course, and a temporary position would give you a chance to check out new managers and avoid the "out of the frying pan, into the fire" syndrome, and even to look around different employers/departments and get a feel for where you would really like to be.  Even better, a part-time temporary position requires no emotional commitment on your part.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2014

Josie (LOL about the uniform fitting -- you look great!)  I guess you need to consider if you must have benefits.  If not, then a temp job could work.  Can you handle doing the trial job on your days off?  Wish it were easier for you.  

Sew, my best vacation "reports" seem to be since I'm home.  I am usually running all over the country/world each summer but my plans fell through this year.  With all the traveling scares, I feel pretty peaceful about being home with my feet on the ground.  
    I did go to the beach this morning and it is such a perfect day...cool, warm sun, low humidity...I planned a long walk but also ended up bringing  my chair, book, and crochet project.  Ahhh I am blessed to have time off.
    I agree, Sew, that four months of intestinal issues is way too much.  What seems to be working best?  
    I confess...I was craving a sweet after my mammo yesterday and stopped at the bakery for cake for DH and myself...leftovers too.  I better keep walking...

Diane, most of the beaches on eastern Long Island are private or for residents of certain towns.  There are County beaches and Town beaches that offer day admission for non-residents.  Then there is Montauk Point which has two state parks open to all.
    My little beach requires residency in the village and a few adjoining towns.  I am adjoining, so I get to pay a hefty fee for a car sticker and family walk-on passes.  Each time I enter, attendants glance at my laminated pass.  I can bring a guest for $10 each per day.  It's profitable for them; and on week ends it is clear by the crowds that they have over-sold the beach.
    When I was in Cape Cod, almost all beaches were open to the public; however, each had a fee of about $15/day.  Sometimes you just want to take a look or a walk and not camp out all day...there are not many places to do that.  
    When I was in California, the beaches in and north of San Francisco seemed to be open to the public without fees.  (Is this the norm, Sew?) That's  how it should be.  
    On Long Island, there are private homes all along the barrier beach which limit access for anyone else.  Then, after frequent storms, the roads and dunes have to be rebuilt at taxpayers' expense.  This costs millions; only to have the damage re-occur.  Federal funds are spent as well; so it costs everyone to support these private residences.  

OK - time to clean for my cleaners who come bi-weekly.  

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited July 2014

Hola chicas!

Joan, first gotta admit I had a huge laugh about you "cleaning before the cleaners come" LOL! Great news on the mammo too. I go on August 8th for my second one since diagnosis. I am a wreck already!

BigD/Joan, hope you are well!

Runfree, so glad hubby is ok. I do not do well with traffic jams at all. I am a shrew by the time I get going again..LOL Plus my bladder is shot and I always have to pee, so I can imagine your poor hubby!

Cindy, your puppy is so adorable! I had a golden retriever named Riley! It was many years ago when it was not as popular a name as it is now for either pups or children..LOL

Lemon, sorry you have had so many issues with your boobs. But, you seem to take it in stride for sure.

Josie, sounds like a great deal if you can try out the job in between hours at your present one. Fingers crossed for you.

Charger, those pies made me drool all over my desk!!

Sew, sorry your tummy is still not well!

Sorry to those I missed but have to run...am at work and need to see if my workshop peeps are done testing.

Still waiting on hubby's tests. He lost another pound :(...am worried!

• gigil
    edited July 2014

Josie, the temp job sounds like a good solution right now.  It will give you some emotional space from your present job and something to compare to.  When one temp assignment ends, another one usually opens.  I have hired temps and made them permanent when we had our own clinic.  These days I do agree employers try to get out of paying benefits,  

Joan my sister has beach passes in Cohasset.  Private beaches abound on the South Shore.  I am toying with the idea of visiting her soon.   Sorry to hear things haven't changed with your DD and her husband.  The kids "feel" differences even before they are told.  Makes me sad for them and for you.  I still remember the day when my then four year old granddaughter looked up at me with sad eyes and said, "Grandma, I am not going to have a family anymore."  It broke my heart.  That little girl is now 23 and doing well, but she still suffers from having a disjointed family with two step-parents - neither of which care much about her.  Lucky she has a mother, two grandmas and a grandpa who do.

I just had an online visit with my brother who has business in Africa about the Ebola outbreak.  He lives in Turkey and is taking precautions to stay away from affected areas, although he has two employees in Liberia.  He is pulling them out for now.  Freaky!

SEW have you been doctoring regarding the intestinal issues?  I can't remember.  That is a long time to be dealing with it. 

BigD, thinking about you, and Lemon you too, dear.

Brookside,  Cindy, SAB, Bunkie, April, Run, everyone else Hi there!  I cleaned my pantry the other day.  Now on to the closets!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2014

April, fingers crossed for poor hubby.  The weight loss is scary for sure.  Just waiting for the appt has got to be difficult.  (((hugs)))

Joan, yes, beaches here in Northern Ca are generally free. So are the parks in general. They have instituted some paid parking lots, so most people just park outside the gates.  A California state park pass is only about $35 per year (or that's the county parks pass) and the parking fees are only $6 in general.  so, not expensive even if you want to choose the beach with a charge.  It's just there are so many without a charge it's easy to choose.  And, to answer your other question for me, nothing is working.  I'm now on a probiotic VSL #3 which is $1 per pill and I'm at 2/day and they recommend up to 8 per day.  Could get expensive soon.  I think something else is going on.......but it's annoying to say the least!

Big D, hope you're sleeping happily and recovering with our own warrior coat to keep you warm.

Lemon, yikes another intermediate surgery, but it does sound like this one may well solve some of the pain issues for you.  I sure hope so.  It will be worth it when it's all finished.......it's just the getting there which is so painful.....

Hugs to everyone, and Charger...I think I gained a pound looking at those pies.  Beautiful......

• 70charger
    edited July 2014

Thanks to everyone who enjoyed my pie.  Thanks to Gigil for clearing up the Saskatoon/juneberry mystery, who knew the name changes once you cross the border!  Had to pick raspberries & peas today, now have to get in freezer.  Peas will be for xmas dinner.  Also have to get beets put away.  Oh & 2 more huge zuchinni to be shredded.  Grandkids come tomorrow night.  I just want to go to sleep.  Very hot here, at least for us.  I bought a 2 burner hotplate to cook & do my blanching outside. Gotta run, lots to do, energy dwindling.  I'll respond to each l8tr.

• edwards750
    edited July 2014

Mostly Sew- 4 months yikes! What do the doctors say? My nephew was just DX with diverticulosis - he is 25. Surgery is next month to remove an inflamed area. He said the pain was beyond intense. DH has it 2 but didn't need surgery. Controlled by diet. Hope you feel better. 

Diane 

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Sew, 4 months? That's concerning.What is the problem.Have you been to the DR?

Gigil, nice job on the pantry.Thanks for the comments on the job situation.How sad about GD.Glad she turned out ok.

70 charger, busy busy busy.Yummy food.I'm jealous.I remember baking and canning harvesting items from the garden as a kid.I sadly don't have that kind of time nor space in the yard.

I was kind of down today.But did take DD to Goodwill and for a special treat to a cupcake bar.$$$ But enjoyed it.They won cupcake wars 2X.Delicious!! And then Starbucks.Of course had to get 2 extra for my son and DH.I hope I get this job.Yesterday the lady that was training with me was telling me that she was so bored on Friday and she asked if they would let her do some of my insurance benefits for this week.Nope! No Deal.  Instead they had her help someone in the billing dept just for busy work so she had something to do.Can you believe that ?I almost missed my lunch yesterday because my manager wanted me to work on something that had been on my desk.