Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2014

Josie and Edwards...yep 4 months is way too long.....not to mention just plain not fun.  Yes, I've seen the Dr. hence this very very very expensive probiotic ($66 for 60 pills and the bottle says to take 2 to 8 per day).  Seems like this is some sort of food allergy (but I refuse to have celiac disease) or, and I think it's more likely, the reflux med (a PPI)  I take can cause an antibiotic resistant strain of bacteria in your intestines.  So, I'm not taking my reflux med now either.  We'll see how this works.....

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2014

Oh Sew I hope you find some relief soon.Sounds like allergy to me also.But to what.You might just have to start eliminating 1 item at a time and see how it helps.Keep a food diary and your reactions to the food.Good luck.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2014

Sew - Dr. Oz had a food allergy expert on his show last week. I catch his show every now and then. Anyway this lady has written a book - sorry can't recall her name but I bet it's on his website - anyway she said it took a lot of years before she realized her headaches, mood swings, etc were related to specific foods. She suggested, like Josie, keeping a log of what you eat/when symptoms start. This lady said she doesn't eat diary - lot of people have stomach issues with dairy products. I have to have ice cream every now and then and I know I'll pay for it but its worth it. 

Diane

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited July 2014

Sew what a drag!  I can't believe how long this has been going on.  I hope they figure it out soon.  An elimination diet is a good idea, but it takes time and patience.  That would be hard for me.

Joan, CONGRATS on your clean mammo!  THAT IS HUGE!!!  So happy for you!  I'm sorry about your daughter's family situation though.  That's hard to watch.  To answer your question, I don't teach in the summer, but committee work often comes up and I have to do it without extra pay since I'm salaried.  Right now I'm chairing a summer committee that is actually very intense.  In the middle of this I had to move my office into a much smaller space, and it's not working.  I can't even push my chair back from my desk, too much stuff in there.  Not sure I can even make it work.  And then there's the chaos with my husband.  I haven't seen him in 12 hours (summer committee busy stuff all day) so I don't know how he's doing today.  He goes back to the doctor tomorrow.

April, good luck with your mammo.  We get ourselves all worked up for these things but I bet you will be absolutely fine.  I wish you and your husband didn't have to wait so long to figure out what's going on with him.  Losing weight when you don't want to is so scary.

Josie, I agree that the temp job on your off days would be good.  It would also give you a way to stay employed if you do quit your current job, so you're not looking for a position of being unemployed.  But I hope it won't come to that--I hope you find something with the right hours and pay and benefits, and a much better work environment.

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

thanks ladies....yes, I think the only thing I can do is an elimination diet because otherwise this is just so constant everything seemingly sets it off.  Sort of like going to Mexico and getting montezuma's revenge if you know what I mean.  I've even made sure I never drink the tap water from our well but the water that's gone thru the reverse osmosis.  Meanwhile, I'm going to invest in TP......SillyHeart

• josie123
    edited July 2014

Sew, did they test you for Giardia? It is a parasite found in water contaminated by cow poo.

You wouldn't taste it or see it since these little critters are microscopic.But if you live near any livestock and having a well might be the source.But I guess the rest of the family would be sick also if they drink the same water.Some people have even been infected by swimming in contaminated creeks or lakes.

• josie123
    edited July 2014

This was what cupcake I got.Yummy!!!
  • joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2014

Josie, that is an awesome cupcake!  We have a a few cupcake stores but the best is Crumbs...just heard they are closing all their stores...but maybe there will be an 11th hour buyout to keep the business.  I love those fancy gourmet gooey cakes!

Sew, I laughed so much at your comment.  Do you remember how you were feeling the day we met up?  You seemed fine to me.  I was the one who was just recovering from a few days of digestive upset and staying in while on vacation.  But we managed to have our fill of delicious food that day!  I hope you do find the culprit.  It wouldn't hurt to have an analysis for bacteria.  

Gigi, I know you didn't plan it, but your story brought tears to my eyes.  I can just hear my GD saying the same...and that this has been her worst year ever.  Imagine...moving hundreds of miles...leaving friends...new school....then DD buys a huge house, they all move in, and now the separation.  All in less than a year. 

Run, It sounds like you are really spreading yourself thin.  I would think with all you and your DH are going through that someone would step up and fill your spot...(I am guessing, it's summer and there isn't anyone around).  Too bad about your office...I keep expanding my stuff to fill the space.  I made an office at one end of a very large room...had a computer outlet installed...and I am glad I did it.  The room has 3 doors so people walk through a lot; but it is better than sharing a small space with someone else.  

I hope your DH is doing OK.  You are both being so valiant and persistent in dealing with this; but it must be physically and emotionally draining.  I think you are right about your kids dealing with it all in some way or another.  I guess all you can do is try to be positive, and be sensitive to their concerns.  

April, thinking of you and your upcoming mammo.  After birthdays, normal mammos are everything!  Am hoping your DH's appointment will bring a solution to his health issues.  Meanwhile, big hugs.

Brookside, how is your summer going...is the job front more quiet in the summer?  
    I wish the northeastern ladies (or anyone) could gather somewhere not too far north for a day...

SAB, are you getting a vacation this summer?  Quick before the new academic year...gotta take a break!  Is DH recovered from his mishap?

Cindy, is the doggy name dilemma resolved?  (my GD's name is Riley - oops that is grand daughter, not grand dog SillyHeart  )
    Have you noticed a difference when you took the break from the AI drug?  I am never sure any more what is causing which symptoms.  I just added back the statin at a lower dose and I have extra pain in joints and toes and arms and legs...the AI causes minor joint pain but this is greatly increased.    I hope you don't have any notable symptoms.  Keep moving...it helps!

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

hi Joan,  I would recommend you look closely at those statins.  They can cause nerve damage and pain in hands feet, legs etc.  and yes, I had this when we met too.  It's just I can generally get by for several hours after I eat...I know too much information, lol. Actually, I'm worse now, but I think it's all just wearing me down.  I'm hopeful this very strong probiotic will help...a girl can always hope, can't she?  

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2014

Yes, Joan, I'm all for a northeastern gettogether!  My August is pretty open.  As a lot of y'all know, I have kids nicely distributed from mid-Vermont to Connecticut, to Long Island, and I'm happy to travel anywhere in New England.  If we pick a place near great shopping, even better!  The summer will be over before we know it, so let's someone pick a date and a place, and I'll be there!  Can't wait!

RunFree, it just seems so stinky that your committee is so trying and, during summer vacation yet!  No fair!  And the mysterious shrinking office can't feel great.  Happily, your husband is feeling way better and your kids are cool with all the goings on. 

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited July 2014

Digestive problems hit most of us at one time or another.  I started with IB when I was 17 and then had a colon resection at 38. (Colo-rectal cancer).  The docs at CC had me keep a food log.  I began with a bland diet and added a new food every few days. It was similar to giving foods to a baby.  Try it, see how it "sits", move on to another food.  It was time-consuming, but worth it. It is easier to add than subtract foods. My culprits are all dairy products, tomato sauce, fish, lettuce, and a few vegetables.  Some foods are okay for a few times and then "yikes"!  Life isn't simple, is it!

Looking forward to having my DD, SIL, and 16 month old GS here this weekend.  They and my Sister and BIL will be coming for the Pro Football Hall of Fame festivities.  Mom, sis and I are looking forward to babysitting!!  He is such fun!!!

Well wishes to everyone!

Ohio

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

Ohio fan, thanks for the info, and yes I think that's easier to manage, diet wise.  My doc is sending some sort of diet to me, and I'm interested to see what it's about but I think it will be quite restrictive to start and then adding in.  My goodness, you've sure been thru the wringer with this cancer stuff.  It truly isn't fair to get two different cancers in your life especially after having suffered from IB from such a young age. How are you doing now that you're finished with rads?  Getting your energy back?  I hope so....

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited July 2014

SEW i just had the very same conversation with my 39 year old daughter last night.  After many years of suffering, she has a whole list of foods she can't eat.  There is no rhyme or reason for some of it.  She can eat sushi, grilled Japanese food, nuts, some chicken, fish, seafood.  She can't eat bread, potatoes, noodles, lots if different fruits and some veggies.  She absolutely cannot drink coffee.  Dairy makes her break out in a cold sweat.  All of it keeps her running to the bathroom.  As for me, sugar, white flour, white rice, potatoes alcohol, dairy all make me miserable.  My misery is fibromyalgia.  I am in a flare right now, and it is miserable!  If I slack off on my diet, I suffer.  This week,  I am the case of the traveling pains.  It doesn't help that I am a hypochondriac and we had the peaches with the Listeria recall.  No fever, so I have to believe it is my diet.  I hope  you get to the bottom of your food sensitivities soon.  

Joan, sorry to make you sad.  It is a sad situation, but I hope you also saw that as a grandma you can be there for those kids and be the steady force when they need it.  It makes a huge difference.  I have a wonderful bond with my GD.  She still runs to us when she needs comfort and reassurance.  We even helped her get her first car.  Now she is a grown woman and spreading her wings more every day.  This is a picture of the two of us.

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited July 2014

Hi ladies ... Just swinging by. I'm very behind (have been busy with fun travel) so I can't address you all individually though I wish I could. Just wanted to also suggest to Sew to ask her doc if she might have c.diff (I think that's the spelling)?  Two friends have had this. Recently it has been discovered that it can be cured with (get ready, it sounds super gross.....) a fecal transplant. Google it.  ;-)

I'd be up for a New England rendezvous!  Keep me posted. 

Love and hugs and healing vibes to all of you!  xoxo

• gigil
    edited July 2014

SEW i just had the very same conversation with my 39 year old daughter last night.  After many years of suffering, she has a whole list of foods she can't eat.  There is no rhyme or reason for some of it.  She can eat sushi, grilled Japanese food, nuts, some chicken, fish, seafood.  She can't eat bread, potatoes, noodles, lots if different fruits and some veggies.  She absolutely cannot drink coffee.  Dairy makes her break out in a cold sweat.  All of it keeps her running to the bathroom.  As for me, sugar, white flour, white rice, potatoes alcohol, dairy all make me miserable.  My misery is fibromyalgia.  I am in a flare right now, and it is miserable!  If I slack off on my diet, I suffer.  This week,  I am the case of the traveling pains.  It doesn't help that I am a hypochondriac and we had the peaches with the Listeria recall.  No fever, so I have to believe it is my diet.  I hope  you get to the bottom of your food sensitivities soon.  

Joan, sorry to make you sad.  It is a sad situation, but I hope you also saw that as a grandma you can be there for those kids and be the steady force when they need it.  It makes a huge difference.  I have a wonderful bond with my GD.  She still runs to us when she needs comfort and reassurance.  We even helped her get her first car.  Now she is a grown woman and spreading her wings more every day.  This is a picture of the two of us.

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited July 2014

also Gigi... I got a notice from my wholesale club that I bought organic peaches that might have been in the listeria lot.  I don't have the clamshell package so can't check the lot number. But last night in between hot flashes in bed I had some stomach upset and was convinced I had listeria disease (or whatever it's called). I don't think I do, as I'm ok today ... I ate a lot of indulgent food on my travels and am now paying the price. 

Incidentally, I went a little hog-wild on organic peaches after reading a post here at BCO that linked to a story that they have protective benefits for breast cancer. I do like peaches but usually don't buy them. Go figure!

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

yikes, Gemini....I'm thinking some doc would need to really really really convince me to have that transplant!  Sounds just awful

Gigil, I did think of you when I started on the Culturelle probiotics and now this new one.  It's VSL #3 if you've ever heard of it.  And yes, I think this is some sort of food allergy.  I'll let you guys know what this diet the doc wants me to try consists of...apparently it's not just gluten free.  I'd sure hate to give up my veggies and fruits and decaf coffee....but will if I have to.  Be prepared for one out of sorts woman is all I can say.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2014

Ladies I just wanted to send you an update about our Dear Joan/Big D. The god news is that she is recovering really well.  The bad news is that her computer croaked and it is our for repair.  She should have it back in several days. Then she promises to catch up.  She really appreciates your concern and loving support.  She is feeling good and even drove today.  She is so appreciative of all of you.  She wanted me to make sure and let you know she will post when she gets the computer back.  Meanwhile no worries, she feels good and is doing well.  I am so happy for her!

• joan811
    edited July 2014

It sounds like digestive problems are not uncommon...I hate not knowing what's causing the body to rebel. 

Speaking of travel, gemini, are you going to tell where you've been? 

Gemini, Gigi, I would project and think I had listeria for sure...I don't think you have to worry now.  It is scary though.

Gigi, the photo of you and GD is beautiful!   Thanks for the encouragement that there will be time in the future when we can connect with the kids and have fun. 

Ohiofan, I agree you have had to deal with a lot.  So glad for you to have your family coming this week end.

Today is my DD#2's birthday and I've gotten her voicemail; but she did answer my email this morning.  I will see her Sunday/Monday.  I thought that my GDs from MA would be on LI this week end but they are staying home to have a fun week end with their former nanny from NJ.  The nanny was devastated when the girls moved last September and has only seen them once since then.  I am glad they will reconnect so the girls remember her.  DD may bring the MA GDs here the following week end.

When I was getting ready for bed last night, I had the most intense itching in my hands followed by rapidly spreading hives for a few hours.  Doctor today gave me steroids and antihistamines as my lips are swollen.  I have no idea what caused it.  I am lying low today.  Thanks, Sew, for answering my frantic email (Sew knows about everything Nerdy)
    And yes, I have been on/off now on the statins and the doc knows I can't tolerate the SEs.

It's another perfect evening.  
    Hi to all who haven't been posting and may be reading or recovering from rads...hope all is well.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2014

Hi Y'all...yikes I'm behind...

Josie - love the cup cake yum!  Hope you like the uniform and temp work.  Good way to try out potential positions at no risk.

RunFree - glad hubby is doing better and received good results...thats an oxymoron right?  Hopefully, only watch or maybe BCG bladder washes.  Ha ha the increase workload and shrinking office...I once sat in a 6x8 hole where the refrig had been while we waited for our new building to be complete...ugh but the big new office with corner windows was bliss...karma 

Joan - yes, doggy day is gong well.  A transition, but pup is mellow...today we went to dental cleaning took turns sitting on the front porch...Hunter was very well behaved. So sorry about your DD and GKs separation and divorce are not pretty and so sad...the death of a family...you are a great GMa they are blessed to have you and hubby there for them. Happy Dance for your great mamo:D yippee!

GiGil - sweet smiles :))) thank God for Grandmas!  Happy pic!

Sew - ugh, poor digestive system...not Cdiff or you would be very very sick...fever, chills, and body shutting down..food eliminating diet and journal sound like a good idea.  Hope tummy gets resolved soon...pricy meds. Josie, Diane, et al chant elimination diet!

Janis - thank you for the update and good news on BigD!  Wow,driving...good for her a determined gal.  Now about all that Bday celebration...spill:)))

BidD - go girl!

Gemini - wow,no peaches for me:( moderation.  Glad you are traveling and enjoying good food:D

Ohio - sounds like busy fun family time...FootBall!  Ooo who :)

Brookside - you party girl!  Kids spread out in all the fun places for summer time vacation :) enjoy 

April - fingers&toes crossed for hubby's appt ...ugh waiting:(

Took a break form AI and restarted this week...not much difference for me...Aromasin had been a nonevent up and until the bone scan report.  I was beginning to have jaw pain...could not open mouth to bite apple or chew food...and that symptom improved...started back this week so we will see if it returns...I just turned 61 and have been active and perhaps abusive of joints/sports so time is catching up...but I had been worried I would not be able to open wide for teeth cleaning today....smallmouth with wisdom teeth...hee hee no comments from the peanut gallery...my wrist pain/sprain is better so will be watching to see if that pains returns.

Right now the challenge is to take all the suggest supplements...oh, and pups 1st evening home alone is Friday...yikes a baseball game...he fits through the iron fence outside so inside...but thinking kennel or walk in shower...easy to wash if any accidents...pup kindergarten this weekend and joined a club that trains dogs and owners for dog therapy...:D

Shout outs to all....many missing voices....summertime fun:)))

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

Oh, I just wrote a novel

Bunkie - BT must be fun...:) good for you!,

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

Cindy, you must be a great note taker to remember all those shout outs...every time I try to look back a page I loose my current typing.  BTW, sounds to me like you might have the beginnings of TMJ in your jaw.  I've got it, it's manageable but I'd recommend cutting up apples (no big chomps out of them) , definitely not chewing gum (tires the jaw) and don't try to jam in too much popcorn at once at the movies (I tried that one and it's not a good plan). My dentist says you want to avoid excessive chewing, hence the gum no-no.   Did you name that cute puppy?  Do I gather his name ended up Hunter?  Oh, and we truly must change the name of the "elimination" diet....if you get my meaning, tehehe

Janis thanks for the update about BigD

BigD wow, sounds like you're doing just fine.  Amazing.  Do check in with Janis occasionally until you get your computer back.  You must be feeling a bit bereft without it, I know I would be.

Joan thanks for the compliment, but I truly don't know everything!  Guess I've just lived a long time and gathered up a whole host of trivia, that and medical things seem to intrigue me. I'm glad you've got the steroids and histamine, that should knock this thing in a hurry, swollen lips are very scary..

• gigil
    edited July 2014

Thanks for the nice comments in regard to my granddaughter.  I hasten to add she has always had a wonderful mom and it has been a blessing that she has welcomed us into their lives and allowed us to be as big a part of my GD's life as we have been.  Her mom has always been a very stellar example of how to be a strong, courageous woman with goals!  I am very proud of her too.  Turns out my ex-DIL was diagnosed with bc right after I was, and her younger sister just finished chemo for bc.  They have both had cholesterol problems since they were young women.  I think in their case, there is a real link between those two things.  My poor GD has to really watch things as she gets older.  No BRCA positive, but something is going on.

gemini, I did the same.  I heard all of the buzz about peaches and I started eating them like crazy.  I am still not quite back to normal.  Yikes.  Our food supply is getting more and more scary.  I am starting to think everything needs to be cooked.  

Joan, my younger sis gets those hives on her hands when she is stressed and also on her lips.  They have never gotten to the bottom of it.  So strange.

Glad to hear BigD is doing well.  Janis, thank you for keeping us posted.  

SEW, I have actually heard of someone who had that type of implant and it cured him.  Can you imagine?  Quite a cure.  Keep up with the probiotic and also the diet.  I am curious to see what your doctor recommends.  

Cindy, I always enjoy your posts.  You are one busy lady.  You inspire me.

• joan811
    edited July 2014

Sew, here's my tip for reading back and posting ...
    If you are on the last page (for example) or writing your reply, and you want to go back--go to the page numbers and choose the one you want.  Right click and choose "open in new tab".  It opens up on a new page.  Read what you want--the original page and your post will remain intact.   

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

thanks Joan. 

• princessrn
    princessrn Member Posts: 270
    edited July 2014

sew...first c.diff, a bacterial bowel infection, can be cured with antibiotics.  Second I am about 12 weeks PFC and I did a green smoothie cleanse and detoxed off salt, sugar, dairy, gluten, caffeine.  I feel 200% better.  

Runfree..glad your guy is on the mend.

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

thanks princessm....I do think this was related to an antibiotic resistant bacteria caused by my PPI drug, but now I think it has morphed into more like food allergy.  In the long run they may need to test me, but I guess we're trying probiotics and diet.  Actually, I already don't eat any sugar added, use lactaid Milk in my decaf latte, I do eat gluten although not much of that either, and am vegetarian.  I do eat about 4 tbs of Greek yogurt in the morning, and I suppose that could be a problem but it doesn't seem like it.  A cleanse sounds good, but I'd guess the new diet will be sort of that to begin with.  I think I'm going to have to just go to something really really bland, then try adding things back in.  I always get worse in the evening no matter what I had for  breakfast, lunch or dinner.  Go figure.....  This extra strength probiotic is doing some good anyway, 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 2014

Hello all. I have been trying to read but I'm hopelessly behind. I think Joan had a mammo and it was good...yay!!!!!!!!  I think big d is healing...another yay! Josie has at least one hook in the water-good luck! Sew is feeling icky-I hope the food journal helps. Gigil some family upset and Joan too? So upsetting, I'm sorry. Cindy and run worried about dh sending my best wishes. I will try to keep up better!

We're ok. Tree down, knocked over power lines, even pulled meter right out of wall! Transformer in creek, explosion and electric co in driveway all night. All fixed but lots of money. Work busy with shiny new students and Happy energy.  

• gigil
    edited July 2014

SAB no troubles here, thank God.  Just recalling the past and hopefully giving Joan some hope for the future in regard to grandkids,

Sew, yogurt is a good probiotic, altho I have trouble with Greek.  Too much protein and too many different cultures.  I stick to a more simple blend.

Cdiff can be cured with antibiotics, but stubborn cases need more than that.  Some antibiotics can cause Cdiff in the first place, because they kill off all of the beneficial bacteria and then C diff grows in behind it. I just checked that with my doctor in the house.  Hope they get to the bottom of this for you.

• MostlySew
    edited July 2014

Thanks Gigil,  I should get the new diet Dr. ordered today and then we'll see what I do.  Actually, I do think this is Cdiff, because the lansoprazole (prevacid) I take can cause this, and I think the stomach flu I got at the very beginning of all this messed with my good bacteria during that miserable 24 hours, and this stuff stepped right in behind.  I think, soon, they will need to test me, but right now I think they're saving money and going with the "generally will help anything" category and doing the diet and probiotics.  It never occurred to me that my greek yogurt might be too strong, I'll give that a though.

Hey Sab, sorry to hear about the tree.  I'm hoping insurance will pay for this?  We've had a bit of wind a few times, but nothing that bad.  Think it's the drought causing the tree to be weakened?  Bummer.  When my tree fell this winter, it only landed on the apex of the house and did, amazingly, absolutely no damage.  40' old oak.  Go figure.  Enjoy the new, bright eyed students and just take your hike around that blasted tree.....or get really good exercise and help chop it up for firewood.....tehehe

• joan811
    edited July 2014

Hmmm just posted and it went to that cyberspace place for undeserving messages....

Just wondering, SAB, if you got any time off this summer?  It sounds like the next semester is upon you.  Have classes started or is it orientation? 

Sew, hope you have better luck with a new plan.