Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited August 2014

Thanks April,SAB,RunFree, Brookside,Lemon,Joan and anyone else I missed for the support on the job.

I need a pocket party in about 20 min.Going to the dentist for my 6 extractions.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2014

I am in your pocket Jody.  Yikes on all those extractions.  I am making you a special batch of cake balls, they are really soft.  :)

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    edited August 2014

Hello!  So great to finally get out here and catch up on everybody's news!  Since I last posted, I did call the MO's office and spoke with his nurse.  She told me to continue the gentle stretching and massage and as long as there was no swelling, burning or fever it was all part of the healing.  She said if it gets worse to call back and they can refer me for specific PT but like so many out here, I am not sure I can make the time between full time work and my puppy family so I will continue to do light stretching and massage to see if I can work it out.  There is a lovely woman here who had BC more than 10 years ago and she STILL has those symptoms but she did confess that she did not address it after radiation at all.  There are so many SEs that I guess our MO can't give us a heads up about all of them so once again, THANK GOODNESS for all of you and our support system.

So.....tomorrow is the big consult for reconstruction......I am nervous for some reason; possibly because I am electing to find out about this versus a surgeon telling me I need a procedure.  My husband is concerned but I have explained to him that fat grafting with lipo is not about "getting skinny" but about getting enough fat to fix the breast!  For me, it will make me feel so much better to not be at least one full cup size smaller and deformed.  I am not in a place where I would consider implants, at least not now so I am hopeful for this procedure.

I will make sure to post tomorrow and let you know how it went!  Hugs to you all!!

Donna

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited August 2014

Good luck tomorrow Donna!  Good for you for looking into the surgery on your own initiative.  You can always decline it, but you'll have the info.  And of course they're coming up with new surgical techniques all the time, and different doctors do different things--so whatever this one tells you tomorrow doesn't have to be teh end of the story.  I'm glad you called the MO's office too.  I got some PT for these issues--6 visits right after surgery and during rads, about 8 more after rads was done, and more this spring at my request but only about 3 visits.  If I lived nearer to that last PT, I'd go to Lebed exercise classes with Brookside.  But the PT, at least the latest round, wasn't a huge time commitment.  

Josie, I hope you survived the dentist today and you are flying on great painkillers and a sense of achievement!  You faced your fears!  I am overdue for the dentist too.  Yuck.

I did go to my new eye doctor today.  An hour drive, but worth it.  She explained exactly why my driving vision is so poor and said contacts could fix it, but they'd foul up my vision of everything else.  She gave me some free samples of disposable contacts to try out.  She has the same post-Lasik issues so she totally got it.  She also turned out to be a BC survivor, ten years ago at 33.  Wow.  She pointed out that the Tamoxifen hasn't altered my glasses prescription in a year, so that's a good sign that I'm not having any eye trouble from the med.

SAB, I can only imagine your crazy life!  The admissions people we're seeing on our tours clearly work very hard.  But as I've said, I've always found it fascinating. 

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Donna, good luck tommorow.I too had the same diagnosis and 2 lumpectomy s.They left quite a dent in that breast but I just haven't thought much about reconstruction.I am aware of the dent every time I look in the mirror.

I am doing pretty good after my extractions this morning.My DH is trying his hardest to wait on me and keep me off my feet and resting.That's hard to do for me.I did bleed a lot but doing better.I had myself so worked up before getting in the dentist chair that when he gave me the local I almost passed out right there in the dentist chair.DH stayed in the room the whole time rubbing my leg .The dentist didn't believe me on how nervous I was until I told him and the assistant I was about to pass out..My ears started ringing and I could feel myself slipping away.They talked to me and sat me up after the shot.Of course part of that didn't take.So when he came in to start some more shots I was more relaxed and he just started pulling teeth.He knew I was pretty much numb and after the other shots I really was.My chest even hurt a little afterwards .I think from being so tense and having my heart race so hard at first.That was my biggest fear the whole time was the fact that lately when I get nervous or excited my heart does this floppy thing.My cardiologist calls it PVC' s.I haven't seen him but one or twice but should probably follow up again soon.I was afraid it would happen right there in the dentist chair.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Thanks for the pocket party Janis and RunFree, the cake balls are delicious.

BTW RunFree I'm just taking Tylenol.Nothing stronger than that.I don't do well on stronger stuff.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited August 2014

Josie, after dealing with the gorgons in your workplace, facing that dentist probably seemed like a walk in the park, and your symptoms were probably not really "yours."  Nowadays, they load epinephrine into the local and it's what makes your heart race like crazy and gives you all those other weird symptoms.  I learned about this when I had a root canal and tried a trip to the bathroom while the numbing was in process. Although I thought I was emotionally pretty much OK,  I was shaking so hard I could barely walk. .  The dental assistant told me it was from the epinephrine and gave me, believe it or not, Sweet 'N Low, which straightened everything out very nicely, and very quickly.

Anyway, glad your procedure is all over and hope your healing goes perfectly.  Can't wait to hear how your trainee did.  I'll bet you anything she mirrored your symptoms (heart racing, fear of fainting, and so forth).  Probably when you show up on Wednesday, you'll be feeling just fine and she'll still be shaking!

So interested in your PS consult, DogsNeverLie.  Please do let us know all about it.

BigD, sure hope your computer is either right back in your happy household, or just about on the brink of return.  I'm so very, very happy that you've been filling Janis in on your recovery, but just can't wait to hear from you in person.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Brookside.Actually I learned a long time ago to insist on no epinephrine.So not sure what to blame it on but my nerves.

BTW my new teeth are beautiful.As soon as I can rinse better they will look even better.I have to keep them in for 24hours.

• RunFree16
    edited August 2014

No epinephrine!  Brilliant!  I've had speedy reactions like that at the dentist, and for 20 years now I've been saying I'm allergic to novacaine.  But I think it's the epinephrine.  I HAVE fainted at the dentist, and I wound up in the ER and then overnight in cardiac ICU because my heart also hurt a bit when I woke up.  After that I went and got ativan from my doctor for dental work, but I've only ever used it for BC stuff--because I've been putting off major dental work for so long now.  Josie, I hope the tylenol is plenty and it's great that your new choppers are so lovely.  Congratulations on getting this over with!

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Thanks Run.Yes I found out I'm also sensitive to lidocaine when having my Breast biopsy.My heart started racing just like that.I also felt as if I would pass out.They flagged me at the hospital and wouldn't even use lidocaine when placing the wire in my Breast before my 1st lumpectomy.Ouch!!!That hurt.It felt like a horse stepped on my Breast or kicked me in it.

Yet months later at the Breast surgeon office when he had a Seroma to drain he used butecain or something like that.No problem with that.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited August 2014

I know you are so glad to be done with the torture chamber Josie and I'm sure your new teeth are looking good! I get tense too right before the shots. My dentist is nice and efficient. Doesn't coddle me but he does ask if I'm k. DH and kids except for daughter all have good teeth and checkups. He makes all his $ on me. That was so sweet of your husband to be in the room with you. What a guy! 

Diane 

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Thanks Diane, yes I'm glad that is over with.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited August 2014

Josie...how's the poor jaw today?  Bruised?  Soon it will be better, I'm sure.  Do I gather you've already got beautiful, new replacement teeth to put in.....how exciting.

BigD.....Do I understand that you started chemo yesterday?  Or soon?  How does that pretty, new Fashion Warrior Coat fit?  I know you look absolutely wonderful in it, and I'm sure it must be giving extra comfort during this new round of treatments and stress for you.  Sending love and {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Sew, yes I got my new teeth yesterday after my major bleeding stopped they popped them in.The dentist was so happy with them.He said on a scale of 1-10 he said they are 15.They wanted me to keep them in for 24 hours then I can take them out.I went in today to let them check on me.No adjustments needed.And barely any swelling.He said he couldn't believe the amount of pus and infection that came from the gums.My mouth is so much happier.I knew they were bad.But I didn't know that bad.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited August 2014

YAY Josie!

Thinking of you BigD/Joan!

So, here is the deal with hubby. He went to the blood oncologist today and the doctor said "I am not sure what is going on with you. We will have to do more tests" and scheduled him for an ultrasound and blood work (which he already had some obviously but he needs more and for specific things I guess) so am still in the dark and lost sleep for nothing so far...sheesh!

I hated the waiting with my diagnosis but with his, it is even WORSE! Well, gotta run cause I am wrapping up my work day and so need to finish up. Hugs to all!

• MostlySew
    edited August 2014

That's great JosieThumbsUp....your body will be happier without all that infection going on.  Bet you'll feel less tired too as long term infections are so hard on us.

• MostlySew
    edited August 2014

April...that's tough to have to wait for more testing...very hard to do.  Deep breath, calm thoughts, positive thinking.....am sending {{{{{{hugs}}}}}} to you both.  Does he want to borrow the prince warrior coat?  It's not gender specific as you can see.....

• edwards750
    edited August 2014

K Josie we want pics of those gorgeous choppers!

April - another waiting game. Sorry. Keep us posted on DH. My DH had a blood profile almost 3 weeks ago and haven't received the report yet. I got my results in a week. He's not concerned but I am. Dr hasn't called so that's encouraging but I would be calling my doctor. 

Diane 

• RunFree16
    edited August 2014

Wow April, this is a test of nerves!  I am so sorry you didn't get any answers today.  I hope they can move forward fast and get this figured out.

Josie, congratulations to you for cleaning out your unhappy gums!

BigD/Joan, we're all in your pockets making silly noises and cheering you on.  Hope everything's manageable so far.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

My new teeth.Thanks everyone for all thr caring thoughts.Btw its the bottom teeth.Got the top done in fall2012 right before my breast cancer diagnos
  • josie123
    edited August 2014

Btw my oldest DD dropped a bomb on me after visiting for a whilr she tells me as shes leavinh shr has a lump in her breast.I asked her if she called her doc.Nope.But good thing is it hurts. Probably a fibroid.But I will stay on her case about it so she follows through

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2014

That's a beautiful smile Josie!

• edwards750
    edited August 2014

Your teeth are gorgeous Josie! Def stay on DD about seeing the doctor - just to be on the safe side. My DD is diligent about mammograms since I was DX. She has the history now -me, my sister and our mother all had BC and she has 3 girls to worry about as well. The gift that keeps on giving. 

Diane 

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2014

Josie, nice photo!  You do have a beautiful smile!  Your ordeal was hard for me to imagine.  My anxiety is so bad that last time I was waiting to have conscious sedation (light sleep) and dentist required that I have oxygen for 5 minutes before going out...I could not tolerate the tiny little mask over my nose.  I kept removing it and dentist was really mad at me.  Finally, I managed.  And no painkillers?  Usually I'd only need that for a day or two but you are way too brave.

Donna, I am always amazed at how the different types of reconstruction seem to suit different women.  The procedure you are having is good in a lot of ways-especially for having your own living tissue (ok, fat) in your breast.  Good luck with the planning.

Brookside, it seems like the ladies are cheering us on to get together (we already have met)...but what about these ladies - there must be some who can get out for a few hours in the northeast. 
    Run, will you have any time to meet up?  I am glad to hear you are flying to OH.  A life-long friend of mine has two children who attended Kenyon College.  My friend loves to visit there....they have short courses for the parents.  But her children have graduated and have the most fascinating lives of exotic travel and service jobs.  It's a great school...have fun with the visits.

I had my MO appointment today - 3 years out...all is well.  My MO quit and today was a sub.  When I asked for the Xanax prescription that I get only once a year she did NOT want to give it to me.  My body language was pretty strong and eventually she said ok she would do it once but I'd have to find another doc for that one.  I am just so glad to have another year without too much worry.

Big D/Joan, thinking of you and hoping you are feeling stronger each day.

Time for sleep....big hair salon day tomorrow.

Joan811

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2014

Great choppers, Josie!  And you look so happy!  I found myself smiling right back at you.  Now just smile, smile, smile your way through the day.

Yep, everyone, still waiting for feedback on a northeast gettogether: Who would like to meet in CT, MA, NH, NY, RI, VT?  A couple of us are pretty mobile:  Have car, will travel.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited August 2014

I would love to meet but need to find out what is going on with my husband before I can commit so I will understand if you do not wish to wait. We may know more after his appt to go over test results which will be on 8/18. Ugh...

Brookside, I had added KateHudson to the Angels list several weeks ago...noticed you did today as well but Celia will know it is a repeat request as I wrote a post. Great minds as they say..

Josie, beautiful smile!

Joan, glad all is well.

My second mammo since diagnosis is on Friday...not looking forward to it but also want it behind me, kwim?

Running to check voice mails! Have a great day all!!

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2014

I thought I remembered that someone had added Kate to the angels list, April, but when I scanned the DOD, I did not see her listed.  Probably my speed reading error.  Waiting for your husband's tests and results and treatment plan must drive you nuts, April (and RunFree, and Cindy, and anyone else I've missed).  Bad enough we have to wait for our own good/bad news, but this double trouble thing is just not fair.

There's no deadline on the meet-up, just the idea that summer might be easier, especially for you academic types.

Bunkie, it seems it's been a while since we've heard from you?  And BigD/Joan, if your computer is still MIA, could you maybe get to the library and catch up on all your email, and I don't mean just us--I'd be going bonkers if I'd missed this much internet access.  In fact, one of the nice things about my RO taking a couple of months to sign the disability paperwork meant that while I was out (rads location two hours from home and I'm a commissioned salesperson), I got to keep using my work email for everything.

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    edited August 2014

Good morning!  I need to post this on a few boards as I mentioned it on a few so sorry for any duplications!

I was very happy with the PS consult!  I was not sure if I would be told that I was not a candidate for FG or truly, WHAT I would be told.  I have a 3D mammogram in October and told her I want to wait until after that just to make sure, would not want to go thru this FG procedure to then get disappointing news from the mammogram but WE KNOW I will get great news, right?!

Happy

So, my DH came with me as he does to all doctor visits, he is so wonderful.  I am 40 pounds overweight so I knew I had enough fat SOMEWHERE to help refill my left breast and adjust the right one so they look more like each other!  I told DH that this is different from lipo where the patient wants to get thinner, the amount of fat extracted for what I need is not going to make me skinny but he had to hear it from the PS, which is a good thing.

The plan is a final consult and prep on October 14 and then it will be scheduled for November.  October 23 is the 3D Mammo so I will still have time to postpone if I need to.  Need a full physical in October from my primary.  She did tell me that for this one, she wants me knocked out and it will not be done in her office and the actual procedure would be about an hour.  If I need any "touch ups" she may do them in her office.  She explained the procedure which most of us know (light liposuction to the abdominal area, separate the good fat from the liquid, inject via needle into the breasts) - I think it's sort of an "eye ball" approach (as in - OK, they look good).  She did explain that some people need several touch ups because they just can't say how much will be absorbed, how much will survive, if there are any areas in the breast tissue that are like pockets and the fat settles in there, etc.  I am OK with all of this and truly, if they just look better and there's not a huge difference like now, I probably would not go in for touch ups but I can't guaranty that!!!!  She measured both from my collar bone and whatever that measurement was she was pleased with and I don't think she believes my fill will be a big deal - not minimizing the procedure but I understand what she is saying because she sees masectomy patients, etc so for her, I am probably an easy one!!!!!!

Recovery was a little more than I read about - she said plan to be out of work 5-7 days, compression garments I THINK she said for 4-6 weeks, swelling and bruising - - she said even though it's not quite as intense as lipo for weight loss, it is still basically the same procedure.

Anyone have insight on their FG experience?

I feel a sense of relief that I am able to do this.  I do not have large breasts, like a B cup (well now an A or AA and a B.....lol).  I just want to be able to look in the mirror and "feel" like my breasts are happy!

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited August 2014

Josie, you look wonderful.  I don't know why, but I fear the dentist office.  Hm... Keep on your DD!  Mine is 38 and is having a baseline mammo and a colonoscopy this month. 

Dogs, your procedure sounds great.  I'm sure all will go well.  Isn't it wonderful what can be done today!

Brookside, Kenyon is a beautiful little college. Near enough to Columbus for great shopping, but out of all the traffic.   I believe that Paul Newman is an alum.  Oberlin is nice, too.  I'm sure you know that already.

Big D, hope all is going well. 

Still cleaning after getting new tile in the kitchen.  Do I really need all this "stuff"??? LOL

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2014

Donna, that sounds like progress in your planning.  Have you tried to find a thread for that procedure?  I think that would give you the most perspective and useful information. 

Brookside, maybe if we focus on a few real dates and locations, we can get a sense of who would be able to meet.