Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited August 2014

Good Morning

BigD/Joan - wiggling in your pocket angle on your shoulder...in thoughts&prayers <3

Josie - :D great smile with those beautiful teeth!  Congrats not an easy appointment...beautiful. Hope work is going well or at least ok...the new girl? the temp agency?  Well smile :))) and stay on top of dd!

Ohio - please please come clean my house!  I've been overtaken by puppy...guest arrive tomorrow for 12 days so could really use your cleaning vibes.  Yeah, on the new tile!

Brookside - Kate is on the angle thread there are categories... Have fun on your meet up! Any more GKvisits?

April - we will be n your pocket Friday for mamo. You are the busy bee at work, waiting on DH, and keeping all together.  Give me an A...P...R..I...L go girl!

Joan - Yippee Happy Dance! 3 years out :)))  sorry change in MO...and not wanting to feel your RX :( glad your body language said give it to me. I ask mine for some and was told no...see a shrink for triggers...will ask new PCP my RX was form 12/11 during the stress of caring for sick hubby...not sure if any good but if only a placebo it works...bite half off.  Would love to go for a walk on the beach. It's finally got hot here in TX. So need a breeze will head out to the lake soon.

Donna - wow,so much to learn about reconstruction options! FG Take your time think it through ask questions...you are following your gut&heart that is the best.  Understand desire to have both the same size and perkie. Keep us posted on the Thelma and Lousie :)

RunFree - drive, look, work, DH, DD, another busy schedule.  What a fun time in your DDs life...gosh remember the days :) 

SAB - you so enjoy Freshmen Days!  The eager new smiles of excitement and freedom to explore:). How's your book?  And your girls? What's for dinner!  You alway eat so well.

Sew - kuddos the fashion princess warrior coat is so stylish and glam...only you :))) BigD will love and the pockets are a roomy complete with min bar and spa area for Janis:)))

Janis - hope you are still basking in the afterglow of Bday and family time!  

Time for lunch and then off for line dancing...hubbys got puppy duty but it's nap time so easy duty.

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited August 2014

OK.  Let's think about who we might want to reach.  RunFree is probably totally involved with husband and kids and new semester just around the corner.

DogsNeverLie is somewhere in NH, but she's new and posting the same stuff on various threads, so maybe not yet feeling the relationship thing.

Gemini (or maybe it's someone else from this thread?) is in the Boston area. 

April really wanted to meet us last time, and once her husband's situation is settled I think she'll be excited to join us.

Gigil might travel.  She's been quiet lately, probably swept up in the whirlwind of moving, but and wasn't she also a bit concerned about her health?

Is that it? 

My guess is later rather than sooner will work for most.  I, meanwhile, would be very happy to have an excuse to visit my kid in CT.  How about you?

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited August 2014

Dogsneverlie, sounds like a procedure I'm not familiar with.They inject your own fat from other areas into your breast? Interesting.What happens if the tissue doesn't take? Sorry just wanted to ask.What is the procedure called.

Ohiofan,Joan, Brookside ,Cindy , April thanks for the nice comments on my teeth.

Cindy, company for12 days? Wow that puppy will be spoiled.

My day went ok but of course the girl I trained had a little trouble.She tried to get someone to help her.No one would(nobody really likes her nor trusts her) So she told my boss her notes I wrote her were too messy to read and she couldn't understand how to send the reports over.She told me not true she said she told them that she knew how to send them over but couldn't find the right folder to send it to and she didn't want to send it to the wrong place.Who to believe? Really doesn't matter I guess.Just kind of ticks me off though.And they gave her 2 add ons.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2014

Good evenings ladies.  I want you all to know I read but just haven't attempted to make shout outs to everyone.  So much is going on with so many of you, especially you ladies with husbands who are having problems.  I am really sorry.  Group hug anyone?

I just got off the phone with Joan/Big D.  First and foremost, she asked me to please tell you all she loves you and misses you.  She will post soon.  Physically there have been a few challenges and she has had to deal with a recent fall (she is okay just sore).  She doesn't mind me sharing that right now she is feeling a bit overwhelmed by all of the recent problems.  She is struggling and having trouble coping, but it is temporary.  Joan is a strong, brave woman and she will persevere!   We had a nice long talk and I know she will start feeling positive and ready to deal with the latest challenges.  She has a lot ahead, Zometa infusions and will start two different types of oral chemo. 

I know so many of her friends here have been concerned so I wanted to update you right away.  Again she could not stress enough how much she loves you appreciates your support.  She will be back and posting in no time.  :)

Take good care my friends!

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Janis, thanks for the update on Big D/Joan.I'm sorry to hear about her fall though.

You described her to the T.A strong brave woman.And she will persevere.

• princessrn
    princessrn Member Posts: 270
    edited August 2014

my grandmother in law takes zometa and one oral chemo. She is 91 and doing just terrific. My very best wishes for Joan as well. 

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited August 2014

Josie, your smile is beautiful,  you inspire me to get some of my work done.  Dentists freak me out.

Janis thanks for the update on Joan.   She is on my mind a lot and I am sending her positive energy.

Hi to everyone.  Busy days lately for me.  Tomorrow my 15 year old GD is coming for a few days.  

I am reading and keeping track of everyone.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited August 2014

Thanks for the update on Joan. She has a lot on her plate. We all know what a strong woman she is and that will help her get through this. Meanwhile group hug for her from all of us. Just remind her to keep the faith. 

It sounds like a toss/up who to believe Josie. What go you mean add ons? 

Diane 

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2014

Thanks for the updates, Janis.  It is so very wonderful that you are there for Joan and for us.  I'm sure her computer-less status drives her absolutely nuts.

Josie, that's just the weirdest office ever, with this woman telling the bosses one thing, you quite another.  No wonder nobody likes or trusts her or wants to help.  Brava to you for going out of your way to answer all her questions.  You can now add "Developed instruction manual for bone scan procedures" to your resume.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2014

Hi ladies.  I am so happy that Joan is staying in touch.  She could not emphasize enough what all of you mean to her.  The group here is so warm and welcoming.  I have attempted to join a couple other threads and find that I really don't fit in.  While everyone is pleasant they have developed their own deep friendships.  Often it is hard to fit in when you have no prior history with a certain group.  I can say in all honesty that this thread is so different.  Everyone here is warm and welcoming and you all work at helping everyone out.  I love that about all of you.  Each and every one of you brings something special to this thread. 

Joan has her computer back, but just isn't ready to post yet.  I know you all understand that sometimes it is just too difficult to write and share.  By the time she comes back she will need to write a book to catch everyone up!  Hopefully I have represented her feelings well here.  She really feels badly that she hasn't posted but she will soon I know.  Again, she could not stress enough what you all mean to her and how much she appreciates your support.  I kind of tend to back off posting when I am having problems.  Sometimes I feel I just don't want to burden others who have their own problems.  Logically I know this is not an issue.  As always you all rally around one another in difficult times.

I will keep you all posted as long as she needs me to.  She is a fun gal, smart and sassy at times and always interesting.  I have enjoyed our long talks.  I too am grateful for your presence in her life right now.  Know that each and every one of you matters to her.  She cares so deeply.  You have all made a difference and what better gift can any of us give? 

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Janis, tell Big D Joan to take her time posting.We understand .She's still trying to absorb her new diagnoses and what's in store for her for treatments and such.I'm just so happy she's able to keep in touch with you Janis so you can keep us posted.

Diane, "add ons" are bone densities that are added on to your schedule and you have to literally fit them in after finding time to call their insurance for benefits.This invariably runs you behind on your scheduled patients.

Thanks Gigil.I am enjoying my new teeth.My mouth is still sore especially taking them out and putting them in.I actually was able to eat French fries from steak n shake today.But it was harder to eat my burger.I definitely couldn't eat the pickles.It felt good to eat real food instead of

Soft food all the time.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Well I heard from the employment agency.The company or medical clinic she sent my resume to said not interested in the 2 day a week thing.Instead they are going to continue searching for a candidate that can be available 5 days a week.

I knew I should have just quite my job.I think I will anyway.The employment directory could find me temp jobs till something temp to perm comes along.

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2014

BigD, so very happy you have your computer back, and of course you're not ready to post quite yet.  Please don't feel we need a book, or even a paragraph.  Just a quick, "Hello!" when you're feeling like it would be most welcome.

Josie, I'm missing something here: Were you not interested in the five-day position? 

Enjoy the teenage GD, Gigil.  Should be an amazing visit for both of you!

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Well the lady at the temp agency thought I could try a job out before just quitting my current job that way I would be trained by the time I quite my current job.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

That was probably bad advice on her part.I even asked her at the interview if I should go ahead and just give my notice so I would be available full time.She didn't recommend that.That's the chance you take when you apply for a new job.Your never guaranteed that the job will work out or that you will even get the job after an interview.She said she will continue to keep me in mind when about her opportunity arises.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

I'm sorry I'm just really disappointed tonight and really kind of down.I will probably not be posting to much more tonight just because I don't want to bring anyone else down either.I'm sorry.

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2014

Josie, I guess I still don't understand.  Most employers expect that we'll have existing jobs at which we need to give notice after we've landed the new one.  All the advice out there says never, never quit your existing job until after you've accepted the new one.   If you think you might want that new job, why don't you just ask if you can go to the interview as a five-day employee? 

• edwards750
    edited August 2014

Josie, bummer. I agree with Brookside just go for the 5 day work week. It is such a gamble whether the new job will work out but heck you are miserable in your present job anyway. I understand about $- we have 2 incomes and def need both. I did gamble once and quit a job I hated w/o another job lined up but got lucky. Fedex called me a month later. 

Doesn't matter now but where did that lady get the idea the 2-day was on the table. Not very professional of her. Just saying. 

Don't worry at all about bringing us down. We are all in this together and not just BC. 

Diane 

• josie123
    edited August 2014

I called her back but had to leave a message since office just closed.I tried to express to her that I could potentially be available for that full time position.I don't know why she even suggested the latter.I told her at the interview I was leaving my position because I needed and wanted a full time position.That's true I just didn't go into detail about how unhappy I was there.I knew that wouldn't be appropriate.

• rmlulu
    edited August 2014

Josie - I concur! Take the 5 day work week and run!  

No need to tell the Head Hunter that you are miserable at your present job, just that you ARE available to work a full week! But you will need to give minimum notice...at least a week...:). Never burn a bridge...fingers&toes crossed that this all works for you!

BigD - sending (((hugs))) prayers and love!

Janis - thank you! It's not easy being the go between especially when the news is so difficult...so thank you!

Got to get this puppy gate assembled...the big boxes just aren't going to cut with guests...

Good Night!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2014

Good luck, Josie.  I hope you get an interview soon.

Gigil, how much fun it will be to spend time with your grandaughter.  I know you will lavish her with your love and attention.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited August 2014

Thinking of you Joan/BigD and a huge thanks to you Janis for updating us!

Josie, if you want that job,go for it!! Life is short and you are not happy where you are. Your skills are in demand and you will land something permanent if that doesn't work out..I am positive!

Ladies, wish me luck today...mammo day and you all know how we feel about those these days! Long gone are the days when it seemed so routine and you just expected to hear the words "See you next year" but now, it is a new ball game..sigh!

• rmlulu
    edited August 2014

April - we are in your pocket and we will control the squeeze!  Best Wishes for 'See you next year!'

Ok, now Breathe :)))

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited August 2014

Woohooooo, all clear! YES!! I am pretty confident since Yale uses the 3-D mammos so all good...thanks for the gentle squeeze!

BTW, kind of a funny story. I had an appt with the APRN at the breast surgeon's office right after my mammo. She pulls the johnny coat open to do an exam on my girls and she sees they are both bright red on top! She panics and says "Why are they so red?" Of course she was thinking possible IBC, but I explained they had just squeezed them to smithereens in the mammo and they always get a little red..LOL Her face went from scared to death to relief instantly.

• edwards750
    edited August 2014

Awesome April! What a relief. 

Diane 

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited August 2014

Crazy happy dance April!  All clear!!!  Funny how you gave the NP a scare.

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited August 2014

Well, my dear friends, I have finished reading through your posts and am sitting here crying because you are the best group of friends a person could dream to have!  I just wish I could meet each of you and hug you.  These days have been hard, and I am glad I could talk to Janis so she could share with you what has been going on with me.  Janis, thank you.  You are a dear, dear friend although so far away!

I got more bad news today, but let me try and fill you in a bit.

The surgery went so well.  When I woke up in recovery, I had expected to have a big bandage on my head and maybe a couple of drains on each side, but there was nothing.  Just staples that were placed back off of the scalp, so looks kind of like a headband.  I was in no pain, I did have a cath in, and I was just relieved it was all over.  I was only supposed to be in recovery for an hour, but was there about 6 hours.  There were no available beds in ICU for me.  Other patients were complaining about the long wait for a room, and I was thinking "Hey, you got through surgery, you have good drugs, a nurse to care just for you, a cath (well I did) so no need to worry about the bathroom, so what ya complaining about?"  I had a good time with my nurse, Ollie, and we laughed a lot.  I always try to be an upbeat and fun patient as long as I am conscious!

They finally got me into an ICU room and the first thing that happened there was my new nurse and an aide (male) stripped me and wiped me from head to toe with antiseptic wipes.  Was I embarrassed?  Nope.  Not a bit.  Still was enjoying the drugs and happy to have my room.  The nurse was just outside in a glass enclosed area -- she was assigned to me and the person in the room next to me.  I swear, I did not sleep for the first two days.  I have no idea why.  I would doze off, but not for long.  On the second day, they were supposed to move me to a regular room, but again, no room at the inn.  I asked what was up with lack of beds and was told it is because of Obamacare and the fact that now everyone has insurance and so they want to come to the best hospitals.  This hospital is building another 5 floors of ICU and regular rooms but it will not be done for another 18 months or so.  Anyway, on the evening of Day 2, I was taken at 3:00 a.m. for a brain CT so that the surgeon could make sure everything looked good.  It did.  I was a little sore but not bad, had morphine injections and Hydrocodone whenever I needed it.

Day 3 in the evening, they wheeled me down for my bone marrow biopsy.  I asked for full sedation but they only gave me twilight.  I do remember the instant they did the aspiration, it hurt like hell and I cried out, then think I fell back to sleep.  The pain only lasted a few seconds.  Then my oncologist asked for the large bones in my legs and arms to be x-rayed.  So I remember being moved into positions for those pictures.  I went back to ICU and one of the docs told my nurse they were moving me to the top of the list for a room because I was doing the best in ICU.  So I finally got my room late on the evening of Day 3.  It was very tiny, but I did not care.  Another great set of nurses -- honestly, sometimes I get one I do not like but this time, I loved all of them.

On Day 4, my surgeon came in and asked if I would like to stay another night and I said yes.  I came home the next day -- chauffeured by the attorney who went with me to my PET scan, remember?  He is an angel.

When I went to see my oncologist for first followup on Aug.1, he told me I had 60% myeloma cells in my bone marrow.  Not good.  We were both thinking the numbers would be low, but so be it.  I had my first infusion of Zometa today over an hour and I will start my pills Revlimid and Dexamethasone (a steroid) on Tuesday.  I take the steroid once a week and the Revlimid every day for 21 days, then a week off to rest.  As I have neuropathy in my legs, Revlimid may worsen that condition, but my MO feels it is the best drug to take for this.

I was told I will feel achy by tomorrow but should not be bad after that.

The bad news.  My MO told me today that he had not wanted to lay this on me prior to the surgery, but in reviewing my PET scan they did see a spot in my colon!  I just put my head in my hands, it was just so overwhelming.  I know, it does not mean it is colon cancer.  I never had the damn colonoscopy as my doctor told me over and over to do.  I had a fecal occult test a couple of months ago and it came back negative, but I know that does not mean you can get out of having a colonoscopy.  So now I have to get this scheduled and done in the near future.  And if it turns out I do have colon cancer, not sure how this Princess Warrior is gonna feel, two cancers is horrible, but three?  I am devastated, scared, not sure how my boss will react to this one, and already looking into what I can do if I lose my insurance. 

There is more I want to say, but this is a good start.  I would appreciate your prayers and you all know how much I love my coat and all of you in its pockets.  A year ago everything was "normal."  I doubt it ever will be again for me, but that does not mean I will not fight.  You know I will.  I don't care about losing my hair or any of that.  I am using a walker right now because I am so afraid of falling again,  With Myeloma, falling is not good.  I sure do not need a broken bone.  I am trying to go back to work next week for a few hours each day. 

I love each one of you, have read all of your updates and always love to see photos.  Sorry this post was all about me, but as I sit here crying and angry, I also know that whatever I have to face I will, and I will do the best I can.  My surgeon told me I came through both the breast cancer and craniotomy surgery so well, he was amazed.  And if I do have colon cancer, I will pray it is in an early stage and has not spread.  My MO said it could be diverticulitis, but I have never had any pain or anything, and he also said it could be something totally unrelated, but my luck is not good lately, so while I want so bad to think nothing but positive, I am afraid I am letting my thoughts go to those dark places.  But please know how much you all mean to me, I know I say it often, but it is so true.  I feel your love and compassion, read your stories, and am just grateful that I found this special place.

God bless each of you.

Big D/Joan

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Joan/Big D, so happy to hear from you.Boy you sure have been through a lot.We have all been praying for you and thanks to Janis updating us we at least knew you were ok.Did you fall recently? I thought Janis mentioned that.But nothing serious I hope.Sounds like you were well taken care of in the hospital.I'm glad for that.I've had you on my mind and I'm glad your such a fighter.PM me anytime.

My prayers must of helped.But I can't take all the credit.That was quite a pocket party.I know your struggling with a lot right now.Never feel guilty because you weren't able to address others problems.We know you need us right now and we are good with that and hope we can support you as best as we can.

• edwards750
    edited August 2014

Joan - I second what Josie said about worrying about our problems. We know you care as do we. That's a given. You have had to deal with so much. I totally admire your courage and determination. We all play the hands we are dealt but that doesn't mean it's ever easy to do. 

Our prayers are always with you. I hope some day we can all meet too. I truly feel like I know you guys already. 

Take care of yourself please. 

Diane 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited August 2014

BigD/Joan...oh my gosh, you are going to win my bravery award for sure.  You've got such a friendly, gentle soul that it seems way too much to make you face some sort of spot on your colon now, on top iof everything else.  I'm certain I would be a blubbering idiot by now unable to communicate coherently with anyone.  I'm so glad you feel warm and safe with us, and can share your inner most fears and worries.  We all feel best if we are helping you in any way we can, and listening is something we're good at.  Don't ever apologize for telling us your story.....and I don't think any of us feel you're hogging the board...you're not. 

Thankfully you've connected with Janis also so that she can give us updates when it's all too overwhelming for you. She is, as you say, a great friend.

So...wrap that Fashion Warrior coat tightly around you, and ignore Cindy's wiggling puppy she's on puppy duty but he gives great kisses......{{{{hugs}}}}