Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2015

Brookside, thanks....but you need to come to my tech, she only just swabbed with alcohol as usual then applied more and wiped it away with a popsicle stick. I do hope she'd done enough to get the normal bacteria off my skin! Glad to hear someone knows about this test anyway.

Gigil...yes, I'm delighted to have some sort of name to this, AND a name that doesn't include cancer, fibrosis, scar tissue and all those other horrid things that lungs get. And, yes...I started using the Culturelle about a year ago when the GERD medicine messed with my intestines etc. as I knew you'd recommended that brand. And I agree with you, culturelle is I think the best brand to use. The others mention some number of live bacteria, but only guarantee that it had that many upon fabrication. Culturelle guarantees that you get the full number thru expiration date. So...thanks for that recommendation...I've got my stash all ready to take.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2015

Ho ladies, we just got back from the airport dropping Elizabeth off.  We had such a wonderful time.  We did some shopping and a lot of talking and eating.  I know I gained five pounds at least.  I bought a big sheet cake from Costco for her birthday.  We had cake and ice cream daily.  Not to mention wine.  Yum.  I am sad to see her go but will have lots of happy memories.  She absolutely fell in love with all the fur faces.  I think between the three cats and 2 dogs Sampson stole her heart.  He loves everyone and being a Golden Retriever he has the sweetest soul.  Sammy was sad to see us come back from the airport without her.  :(

Sew I am so glad to hear your problem has a name and hopefully and easy treatment.  You have been through so much with this.  So you have any idea how long before you can return to a normal life?  I know the fatigue has to be so difficult.  Take good care my friend.  Heal!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2015

I know you are so relieved Sew. Hopefully they will give it a name and you can be treated and move on. Good idea for a cleaning service. I have friends who have one. I am too OC about cleaning but now with 3 canines it seems to be an exercise in futility. My son is cleaning his room more often so no longer dubbed the Bermuda Triangle.

Josie - good luck with dealing with the meds. Gotta be frustrating for you. Hope things at work are better.

Janis - sounds like you had a great time with Elizabeth. Just what you needed. That's so cute your babies miss her.

I spread mulch yesterday for hours. Ugh! Doesn't help when you bought cheap gloves so you have dirty fingernails and the wheelbarrow has a bad tire and rusted. So new gloves and new wheelbarrow. Onto the backyard.

Waiting on service guy to recharge the a/c. Had to turn the a/c off temporarily but so hot DH put the window units back in for now. Sigh.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2015

Edwards, my wheelbarrow always has a soft tire. Finally, my friend, who had worked for a professional gardener, converted me to tarps. They are not as great for transporting whole barnfulls of tools, but if you place your tarp just right, you can pull your weeds and just reach to the side and place them on the tarp. No raking or lifting. Then you drag your tarp to the compost pile and either lift and toss or just dump. I was so surprised that a stone age tool worked so much better than the newfangled wheelbarrow.

Happy to hear Elizabeth's visit was so wonderful, Janis; sorry she had to go home.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited May 2015

Sew, its funny when they do those blood cultures--reminded me of the little six ounce coke bottles from when I war really little girl....

I agree with GIgil you will be getting some potent antibiotic, so some probiotics will surely help protect your intestinal tract and your balance in your gut.  And yes, you probably picked it up in the hospital w.your mom---hospitals and dr. offices are the worst places. 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2015

Oh my, reading the pages I've missed makes me feel like I've been away too long. I am a bit tired tonight, but wanted to check in and say hello. I especially want to say to Sew that I'm happy that you seem to be moving towards answers and treatment and health! Joan, I hope you are busy making plans for those weeks off! By then you'll have tossed all the students out :-) Josie, good luck with the meds. Cindy, wonderful to see you. Janis what fun!!! I could live on cake and ice cream myself, but it sounds like you made lots of other goodies too. I'm sure Elizabeth felt like a queen!

No plans for Mother's Day and I'm fine with that. Have a wonderful weekend all!

• edwards750
    edited May 2015

Good idea Brookside. Thanks.

A/C cost us $452 for service call+6 lbs of freon. We have a very old unit like 24 years old so it's been on life support for some time. Still going to keep the band aids coming until it draws its last breath. Unfortunately, IRS gets first dibs on any money we have for now.

Happy Mother's Day! Give your moms a hug. Wish I could. Miss her every day.

Diane

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2015

Happy Mother's Day to all who are moms and to those of us who are remembering our moms.  It is a day to celebrate and remember those good times.
    With work winding down, I hope to spend a little more time on what is really important oer the next few weeks....
    Hugs to all,
    Joan

• justmejanis
    edited May 2015

I wanted to wish all of my friends a very Happy Mother's Day.  I hope all of you with children are honored this day.  Have a wonderful day my friends.  I am thinking  of all of you and sending loving wishes for a very special day for all.  Love to all.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited May 2015

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mommys...both kids and the 4 legged kind! xo

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2015

Thanks for all the Mothers day wishes. Happy Mothers day to you too.

My DH took me out to dinner to CrackerBarrel. It was so good and then to Oberweiss for ice cream after. We celebrated last night since DH worked today.

My sister had everyone over for a meal this afternoon. DH got leftovers since he got busy at work and didn't make it. Got home just in time to cut the grass before it stormed. Had a bad storm which knocked down a tree up the street which fell on the power lines. We luckily have a generator which we haven't used in years but DH was able to come home and dig it out of the garage and get it going. My youngest DD went to a friend's house for the night. We will be fine.

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2015

Belated Happy Mother's Day to all. I did housework (mold removal) and moved most my winter stuff out of my closet and summer stuff into the wash. Feeling happy this is behind me. As for the summer clothes, after some peaks and valleys, I weigh the same as last year, so everything will fit the same as it did--too loose, too tight, or just right (mostly, of course, not just right!).

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2015

Happy day after Mother's Day to everyone. We are in Florida for the second week. Mew went to ?The ?Brown ?Derby at Hollywood Studios yesterday. It was just DH and me. It was a very nice lunch. We came back home after that, but not before we lost our car in the parking lot. I thought we would melt to the pavement like crayons before we found it. 90+ temps and I do not get along. SEW glad you continue to improve. Joan glad your school year is winding down. Josie it sounds like you had some nasty weather. Brook side, good hint about the tarps. Diane it sounds like you have been hard at it with yard work. I can't wait to get north and get my hands dirty. Janis, it sounds like you had the best time with Elizabeth. I am so glad for both of you. Redheaded I am a firm believer in probiotics. SAB good to hear from you. Cindy, thinking about you and hoping you are well. Hi to everyone else. I got some loving messages from my kids and grandkids yesterday. Made my day. Have a great week! GiG

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2015

Gigil, I am glad you got some down time in FL...I think I understand why you'd want to get back home for spring chores and plantings.  Safe travels! 
    Sew, thinking of you every day and hoping you are gaining strength.
    Cindy, thinking of you too. 
    Janis, I hope you are enjoying good memories of your visit with Elizabeth.  There's nothing like spending time with a good friend. 
    I did not see any of my DDs this year for MDay but had a visit from DS from Chicago and my older grandson from New York City and his girlfriend.  We cooked in...going out adds up quickly to a huge bill with our family.  Dh took me to lunch the day before which was nice. 
    I will submit my last batch of grades tomorrow morning and then do some ordering at work...then take off some days I've saved up. 
    Brookside, you are way ahead of me....I have clothes spread out in two guest rooms and I never seem to finish finding the right place for these.  My workplace is very cold in the summer so I keep light sweaters and long sleeves in the closet year round.  Socks too! 
    SAB will you get some time off this summer? 
    Soon I will be able to check in more often...when work quiets down.

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2015

Joan, although my closet is pretty much a summer and three season stuff, my room is still full of bins and piles that either need to be put away or carted off to the thrift store. Probably will be that way for a while--organization is not my strong suit. Speaking of which, I'm moving my office from the space that I rent to my house. This means I have to not only schlep tons of folders and stuff about, but also organize it all once I get it home. Ugh!

It's so nice to hear everyone's news, and that, currently it's mostly pretty good news. Some worries out there, of course, and I hope y'all will keep letting us know how you're doingl

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited May 2015

Well ladies,

My husband was hospitalized with severe pneumonia and his anemia is at such a bad level, they may have to transfuse him. He is in serious but stable condition and the weight loss is at 67 pounds and counting.

The worst part is some of the best doctors in CT have no idea why!!!!! They ask him the same questions over and over again, each new doctor (he has at least a dozen in on his case at this point at Yale which is the best we have here in CT)  It is maddening. He has had every test and they are running more every day. He has had 3 chest ex rays, a full body CT scan, another CT scan of his lungs, every single possible blood test and culture and they are repeating his colonoscopy even though he had one last year. 29 vials of blood since Monday!!! He will probably glow in the dark from all of the x rays.

I am scared to death. If you pray, please keep him in your prayers and if not, just keep him in your thoughts. He is the sweetest guy who never complains about anything and now he is so vulnerable.

I am at work today but was out the last two days and will take a half day tomorrow. I can't concentrate on work anyway and I am falling behind.

Sometimes life is really a mystery.  Thanks for listening.

• Tapanga
    Tapanga Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2015

I finished rads 3 days ago. It feels so good to have this whole chapter behind me. My skin is sore and itchy and red and tight and flaking off and all of those other things. The stickers they put over a couple of Sharpie marks have not budged since they first stuck them on there almost 6 weeks ago. I was careful at the time not to "wash" them or get creams or lotions on them, but now it is time for them to go. The radiation techs told me to let them loosen on their own or else I might take skin off with the sticker. Anyone out there have any hints to help this process along? I'm hoping they'll take care of themselves in the next week or so.

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2015

First, Tapanga, big, big congratulations on finishing. As you know, we've all been there, and we've all been "pleased" to leave that particular daily visit behind. And gosh, I certainly understand the urge to get rid of the nasty sticky things! I had tattoos, so have no experience with them. My guess is that smoothing on baby oil, or olive oil, or whatever oil appeals to you might speed things along, as also might luxuriating in a bathtub, if you can dunk at least some of the stickies without irritating your already irritated breast tissue. Failing that, or more educated suggestions from those yet to respond, I did learn that the techs are usually right.

Do please let us know how things progress!

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2015

Oh, April, how miserable you both must be! Not knowing what is happening has to be the absolutely worst possible situation. I am certainly sending prayers for healing and for a diagnosis. Take care of yourself, as well as your husband. And please do keep the updates coming!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2015

Hi,

Sorry I have been scarce for a few mos. Have not been doing well. My body did some sort of break down and who knows when it will bounce back. I have been trying to get my BP stable. For some reason I keep getting dehydrated and my BP keeps dropping when I stand up. My normal bp is 110/70 usually. It has been as low as 95/60. My endo gave me another med to try but after some research I found it to be another steroid. Well I do not want the one I am on so why add another. Something called florinef that makes the salt in your body stay in your body. I asked him if it was another drug that I would get stuck on and he said no but my pharnicist said that is not true. You have to wean off that one too. So I did not start it and tried to up my salt a little because I always did eat lower salt. It has not helped. If you remember I have an ongoing issue with vertigo everyday. It seems to be getting worst. So I have another appt with the U of Mi vestibular testing dept next month. The brain MRI that was done in the fall was good so we will see. When I can on a good day I have been driving again to my appts and the store. Some days I have to hug the shopping cart but I go anyway. Funny thing I can drive very well. I get dizzy when I get out of the car and start walking.You would think that was enough but no...no...no. Last week my HRT makers decided to rid the world of my HRT Cenestin I have been on for 19 years. There was talk of a shortage a few mos ago but nothing about really stopping it. Needless to say there is nothing out there in pill form like that. My gyno gave me a patch HRT that is supposed to be natural and I was supposed to wean down in 6 mos and come off completely. I am allergic to the adhesive in the darned thing so as of last week I had to stop HRT cold turkey. Now I know what you are all dealing with when you take the drugs to block the estrogen in your bodies. OMG I have serious joint pain and my dizziness got worst. My ears are ringing and my eyes are dry as a bone. Today I went to the DDs to get my teeth cleaned and got up from the chair funny and my knee popped. I actually heard it pop. I can not walk on that leg and my knee is killing me. Looks like a visit to urgent care if this keeps up. Lets hope it will settle down because I will not be going back on anything. Even though  my BC was ER-/PR- I still have to get off HRT.

I have missed so much here on the boards but just needed some time to deal with all this health stuff without a big ole whine. So what do I do today but just that. I have 30 pages of catch up so I will try to do a few at a time.

• josie123
    edited May 2015

April, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband. I hope somehow someway they will find out was is wrong with him. Hang in there. I truelly believe in the power of prayer. It sounds like he has every test except for a petscan.

BUNKIE, sorry to hear your dizziness is worse. And actually the florinef is used to treat Addisons. My dog took it for years till we could no longer afford it and had to Euthanize her. Do you have Addisons Disease? That would explain a lot if so. The dizziness ,low BP .

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2015

April, I'm so sorry your husband has gotten so very ill. He's been fighting this for so long. I'm praying they find a way to stabilize him and treat this soon. Take care of yourself as you can...this has been so stressful for you for so long. We don't need you ill too.

Bunkie, good to hear from you although I'm so sorry you've got so many things still going on.

On the staph infection in my lungs, the antibiotic is working very slowly, but I'm glad it's working. I'm beginning to get some strength back. the infection is not in my blood, thankfully, so I think I don't have to worry about heart valve issues. I just need time...and that I have. But talk about radiation fatigue....this is worse than my worst day of rads.......

• edwards750
    edited May 2015

So sorry April. I bet you are scared. Not knowing us beyond frustrating. You would think after all those tests they would have a clue. I know your DH feels like a pin cushion. I do pray and will certainly include him and you in my prayers.

Bunkie - good grief girl you so need a break from all of those medical issues. My BP is typically low too like 90/60 except when I go for my ONC and mammogram appts then it elevates drastically. Gee wonder why? Duh. It's unnerving how some doctors just throw meds at everything.

Went to nephew's HS graduation last night. 478 grads! Hate going to them because of all the screaming people do. Applause is one thing but come on.

Had a wonderful Mothers Day. Ended it at my fav place Longhorn Steak House.

Mammogram is Tuesday. First thing. Always want that. Full blown anxiety. Guess that will never change.

Have a good weekend everyone! April - keep the faith.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2015

April - I really hope they find what is going on with your hubby. I can agree there is nothing worst than a probem they can not find. You feel helpless and really angry. The tests are never ending and finally some Dr will figure it out. In m y case it does not look like that will happen but with your husband having such awful problems I pray the do.

Josie - Good question. I think my endo is investigating Secondary Addisons. You get that from being on steroids too long and that would be me. When this started out 7 years ago they were supposed to give me a big dose of prednisone and then wean me off rather fast. That way it can be used for acute symptoms and it is a great drug. Last 10 years Drs have been keeping patients on it in small doses daily to control autoimmune disease and other things. It does not cure anything but will help with the inflamation in the body. What they do not tell you is once on it for several years the adrenals shut down and may never come back. This may be my case and if I have addisons the drug will be necessary for life. More testing needs to be done but I am not going on it till I know why.

Sew - Staph infection is really no fun at all. Are you feeling any better?

Edwards - Thanks I agree could use a break form all this but I jsut keep going. I know how you feel about the mammo. It brings the anxiety to a new level. I hope it all goes well. I get that way when I go to the BC surgeon too. He jsut told me that I have dense breasts and wants a MRI next visit. Great.

We have rain storms here today. I got up from the DDS chair yesterday and my knee gave me a wierd crunch noise and a lot of pain. Can not walk on it today soooo here I go to urgent care. Hopefully it is just a really sore knee. All this after stopping HRT. I wonder what else the estrogen was protecting.

• edwards750
    edited May 2015

Bunkie - thanks I am the poster person for anxiety anyway so mammogram appts put me right over the edge. I wish I could be like some people and just deal with whatever happens but I'm not. My BS asked me what I was so nervous about? Seriously? I think you really have to go through the anxiety of a BC DX to really understand the fear.

Hope things get better for you. I can't pretend to understand what you are going through.

Rain and thunderstorms here too and unbearably humid.

Diane

• SAB
    edited May 2015

Bunkie, so nice to have you back. You've had such a tough run with your health, it doesn't seem fair. I send you my best wishes and hope that you find health again. Let us know when you have your results. and Bunkie, any time you want to whine you go right ahead. We are here for you.

April, My goodness you must be so worried...sorry to hear about dh. Stay strong and take care of yourself!

Edwards, deep breath. Let us know when you have the all clear!

Sew, I'm so happy to hear that the antibiotics seem to be working. Yay for something going right!!! Don't overdo now.

Joan, Good luck with your grading. Admissions doesn't get a break, but I am taking a few days of vacation to go to an old friend's event--her son is getting married to a girl she adores and I think it will be a very happy six days for me. I miss her dearly, she's a hospice nurse, an angel. I haven't been back to my home town in 30 years, don't know what to expect.

Tapanga, I'm sorry I had tats also, so I don't have any suggestions. Be gentle with yourself, even though I imagine you want them gone--

Hi Janis and Josie and Brookside and all the other moms out there that I didn't call out. Very belated hugs. I had a lovely and restful day, and had both my daughters here...a very, very rare treat.

• justmejanis
    edited May 2015

April I can imagine how scared you are about your husband. It is such a mystery that all those tests have found nothing definitive.  I am so sorry Hon and I hope you get some much needed answers very soon.  Sending you both tons of hugs and healing energy.  You are both in my thoughts.

It sounds like everyone had a good Mother's Day.  All of you deserve to be pampered and remembered. 

Bunkie it was great to hear from you but I am sorry for your latest health issues.  You have been battling them for so long and I am sure you are sick of being sick.  I hope the recent knee injury was nothing serious and you will be weight bearing in no time.

Tapanga welcome to this thread and big congrats on finishing rads!  Yeah!  I have no clue about getting those stickers off.  Thinking extra soap and water in the shower and very gentle washing and rinsing.  I had the little tats so didn't have to deal with that.

Sew it is reassuring that you feel you are slowly getting a little energy back.  I know it takes a lot to get you down so this whole experience must have been really scary.  I know you will mend in time and be well again, but sometimes that healing process can drag on forever.

Gigil I don't do well in heat not to mention that terrible humidity.  I lose all my energy.  I love playing in the dirt too, have had fun planting some of my pots this year.  I really love flowers, DH loves his veggie garden.

Saying hello to everyone else and as always sending plenty of love.

It is official, we live in a ghetto!  Okay not that bad, but we do live in a low income area.  There is a house across the street that has always bothered us.  There was an older couple living there when we moved here 5 years ago with their grown daughter.  The older couple moved out and let the daughter stay.  She began collecting some creepy looking friends, all male, and many of them appear to live there.  There is always a lot of traffic there and we have no idea how many people actually live there.  They wear hoodies all the time and carry backpacks.  They stand around the back yard and peer through the cracks in the fence.  A few neighbors have mentioned being uneasy about them but there isn't much we can do.  Well, at 4:20 this morning there was a drive by shooting there.  I was awake and heard the several rapid fire shots and cars racing off.  It woke DH up and he knew right away what it was.  Within minutes the police were there picking up shell casings from the street.  Our good neighbors across the street were outside talking to the police and DH went out and talked to the neighbors.  This woman who lives there has a young child!  Whatever she is involved with is clearly very bad and I cannot believe she would subject her child to living like that.  I really hope that the police will pay more attention to the activity over there and do something.  This is so scary.

• SAB
    edited May 2015

Oh Janis, that's terrible news!

• josie123
    edited May 2015

Janis, when did you move to my street? LOL I know that's not funny. Please be careful. But this is so my neighborhood. I'm sorry it's happening in yours too.

• josie123
    edited May 2015

Diane, good luck on the mammogram. I'm sure it will be fine.I know all about anxiety. Have had that about every day last week on the way to work.Yes panic attacks while driving are no fun.