Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited April 2015

brookside, the wrist is slowing improving with therapy.  I have a lot of pain along the tendon from my thumb into the arm and the little finger up the outside of the arm.  I told the Therapy guy yesterday (mine was on vacation or something) that I can do whatever they ask me to do in therapy, but when I go to open a heavy door or push the seat belt latch or lift a saucepan or some of the other spontaneous movements you have used your hands and fingers for, it is painful or difficult. He said on Friday we would work on some of those types of motions.  Also can feel adhesions in the back of the forearm, which are not from surgery, but the exercise I guess.  thankfully I get a massage each visit .  Scar is healing up fairly well though.  I am using herbal salves and shea butter on it.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2015

Janis - My only sister and I have lived in different states for many years. I have lived in Texas, Louisiana and now Tennessee but she hasn't lived here since she got married almost 30 years ago. Currently she lives in Kennesaw, Georgia. I know its tough for both of you living so far apart but at least you have each other. Enjoy your visit with Elizabeth. That is so cool you made a friend from this forum.

Sew - so relieved for you. We were all so worried.

April - I hope they find out what the heck is going on with your husband soon. I know both of you are worried. Not knowing what it is scary.

Redhead - hope your wrist heals quickly. My SIL broke her wrist several years ago trying to clean the outside windows on her house. She fell off the ladder. Then several months ago she broke the same wrist when she tripped over a hole in the parking lot. She had to have surgery to set it. She is a RN and her dr said she had to be off work for 2 months. You don't realize how much you depend on body parts until you injure one. 

Brookside - I def don't share the love you guys have for your X-husbands. What I think of mine is unprintable. Fortunately we didn't have any children.

Kickingcancer....girl you have been to hell and back. So glad you are lots better.

Had a blast on our Atlanta trip. So proud of my sister. 37 years with IBM...unheard of these days.

Diane

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2015

Hi, I've been following along....sneaked quietly in the pocket while work wasn't busy...
    Sew, you have such a good attitude....I saw it was 12 hours between your posts.  I am glad to hear you got through without much discomfort; although I imagine the anxiety made up for that.  I hope to soon hear you are on the mend. 
    SAB, it is so good to hear your update...you must be proud of your DD for coming so far.  What is she doing now?  I hope she is working in her artist mode...she is so talented.  And your younger DD....it must be tough as peers and friends move on and go their own ways....you have done so much to advocate for her success -- including letting her figure it out at times.  I hope she finds her passion...
    I'm with you, SAB, work takes all my time and energy, it seems.  We have to keep reminding ourselves now that DH and I both work and kids are gone, that we need to prepare for the day when we don't work anymore.  It is so tempting to just live like we will always be able to both work.  Ugh, discipline! 
    My classes are over this coming week...YAY!  Then summer session starts May 26th.  It will be five grueling weeks then about 6 weeks off.  The hours are long but the work is fun....and it is quiet and I can do my grading and planning during the day in the AC'd office.
    My new office is really nice...will have to take some pix.  I am trying to keep it uncluttered and desk cleaned off each day. 
    Last week was tough...my ladies at our group therapy all confronted me suddenly about being late...I rush from work to the group and some days the traffic is awful at 4 PM.  I had no idea I was "being disruptive"....it blew up into a huge thing and we had to have another session to dissect it all.  That was overkill and it was draining and I was really annoyed. 
    ...Then my young guy colleagues decided that since I had a new office they would take over my workspace (another room where I do my work) and turn it into a student lounge.  I had students in my way all week and I finally went to see the dept. chair to ask his help in making policy on this.  Meeting in 2 weeks....what do they think, that I will abandon my workspace and drag all the rocks, minerals, books and microscopes into my office?  Not....
    Bright spot:  My grandson (who we raised from toddler through college) celebrated his 25th birthday with us on Sunday.  We had a great time at a nice restaurant on the water.  His new girlfriend came out with him from New York where they work. 
    Another bright spot: my DD [who just moved, separated from her DH, bought a new house, and celebrated her 40th BD all in a week], sent me a really nice note of thanks for helping her through this time.  Speaking of getting along with the ex DHs, they are doing a good job of being there together for the kids.  Of course, there are no significant others involved yet.

April, sorry to hear about your ex DH...and now, it's been too long with your DH not feeling well...you have great medical centers in your state.  Have you looked for multiple opinions?  Have you considered Lyme disease?  It is a cause of many vague, debilitating symptoms - different in so many. 

Janis, sorry you are so far from your sister and kids...I know it gets lonely.  I am glad you are here...the ladies on this thread are awesome.

Brookside, glad you are doing OK...can you get out and enjoy the spring-y weather?  I hardly move during the day, and been binging myself.  Oops, cardiologist next week and I am not in very good shape.  He will scold me....
    I have been "graduated" to the NP at the cancer center.  Today was my first visit.  She smiled too much and leaned in to my face a lot...but I'll survive...(ha, she is my survivorship provider)

Red, that is a very long recovery you are going through.  It's always those little daily tasks that are so telling when we are trying to cope with physical issues.  Be well!

Diane, I do not think it so unusual that you are not a fan of your ex....that sounds like the norm.  Kids and circumstances play a role of course.

Josie, are you hanging in there?  Wish I could show up and give you a big hug...you deserve it.  Or even better, a nice lunch!  I hope this week is better.

Kickingca....wow, that is a rare case you have described.  Are you completely recovered?  So many of us did not have specific issues after radiation.  But I've heard this is possible.  Be well!

Gigi, feel better...and focus on what really matters in life.

Too long here, sorry...

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2015

Edwards, it is only my first ex-husband whom I feel kindly toward. I would not put in writing my opinion of #2. And here I'd thought i was so much older and wiser and knew exactly what I was doing. Wrong. In case anyone is wondering, I am done. Two strikes is quite sufficient. My first ex is dealing with a number of health issues, which kind of makes me sad, so April, I really do understand, at least a little, how your first husband's death affects you.

Joan, while you wait for that meeting, kindly entertain yourself with visions of moving all your prep materials into the offices of those who converted your work space into a playpen. Enjoy visions of wandering in and out of their spaces at random times, rolling rocks around on their desks, and so forth! And please plan some easy, easy time during your no-classes time.

Red, I'm doing PT now too. I'm rather a regular, with one body part or another seeking attention from time to time. Currently it's my achilles tendon on one side and the hamstring on the other. I can't help but wonder whether the rotten arimidex is contributing to my tendon issues.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2015

Sew - so glad that is all done, but I think we will linger a bit longer in your pocket to enjoy the cakeballs and wait for results. Wishing you the best...fingers&toes crossed:)

Red - whoa, rehab PT glad there's improvement

Brookside - you are to funny:). Dropping rocks all over the university offices in stealth mode for Joan!

April - fingers&toes&eyes for answers to hubbys health. Do something kind for yourself. and breathe..ommm

Josie - hope this was a better week! How is the new med going? Still impacting performance...grr this is so not right...have a good weekend with hubby.

SAB - the final push is on! Glad your girls are doing well. Hubby and you go for a nice long walk...take the picnic basket&wine!

Joan - a nice new office and then the vultures come after your workspace...GRRR:(. We can all drop rocks...boom. Glad the GKs are doing well and the adults are acting mature...yes, it does help that there are no significant others to muddy the waters. Sit out on the beach...watch the sunrise...mimso time:)

JANIS - quite times can be so quite...glad you have Elizabeht to ease the silence. Have you heard from BigD! (((Hug))). I get it I've been toying with the idea of relocating to Denver to be near sister...but it means 3 moves and too much stress...and I don't know how this SoCal beach girl would do with the snow. FaceTime or Skype this weekend with her...make a date:)

Diane - you state hopping girl...my sister moved away 38 years ago. Yes,making friends on here is special. How are those pups?

GiGil - back up North to enjoy spring&summer and those precious GKS:)

KickingC - yikers, you&DH have been through so much...hope your health settles down.

My LE is acting up... Bat wing and 3rd girl:( so PT. Pup will soon be a year! Doggy daycare yesterday was swim day...102 hot! Have to walk early and late...ugh

Sorry if I missed anyone...Yall are special:))).

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2015

Cindy, so nice to hear from you. In answer to your question The Effexor didn't do well with me . Scarey side effects like huge pupils, headache, blurry vision, burning fingers.

So my oncologist just called me in some Lexapro. I'm going to start it tommorow. Hopefully it will be ok. I'm scared of course . Takes me a while to start a new med. Especially if you read the warnings.

• josie123
    edited May 2015

Joan, that's a shame your ladies in the support group had to be like that.

And your coworkers. .....What's wrong with them? Why would they do that?

• edwards750
    edited May 2015

Cindy - my canine babies are better behaved but still challenging me. Last week they bolted when DS left a door opened so he and I spent several hours - at night looking for them. Fortunately we live in a cove and they didn't go too far past our street but it was tough to find them esp since I knew they wanted to roam. Scared me though. They are a bit wild but I truly love them.

Brookside - fact is I knew marrying my X was a mistake but did it anyway. Young and dumb. Lesson learned big time.

Josie - DS takes Lexapro. Works for him - takes the edge off.

Joan - we love your newsy posts. No need to apologize for a long post. Good grief blowing over being late? Seriously?

Today and tomorrow is Fair on the Square in Collierville. Really fun esp since my town - just a reminder- best small town in the country! Hard to believe but the stores on the square all close early. Only a few restaurants stay open past 5 or so. That may change with all the pubs the town has gotten with winning the award. Hope not.

Weather is beautiful. Beale Street Music Fest going on downtown and opening of Bass Pro Shop- incredible store downtown. Downtown Memphis desperately needed a tourist attraction and now they have it. This store even has hotel rooms which are already booked. Pretty cool.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2015

Edwards, not long after my first husband and I separated, i was sitting with two male friends who were in the same boat. One of them asked, "When did you know it was the wrong partner?" All three of us said either during the honeymoon or soon after. All three of us had had relatively long term marriages. Looking back at husband #2, I remember something he said while we were engaged, that I ignored. Probably should have inquired rather deeply, no?

About those doggies--obedience school. Now. All of you will be happier.

Josie, my friend who takes lexapro is very happy with it. You're certainly not alone in having been through so much in the past few months (not to mention, the past couple of years), and its effect is kind of peaking, no? I think these things take a couple of weeks to start working, which is rotten--we need what we need when we need it! Meanwhile, with the nice weather, maybe yardwork? Meditation? Yoga? Chocolate?

Cindy, glad you've been travelling, and that Hunter does well at boarding. They probably absolutely love him there. We love you here.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2015

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for all the support. I've gotten some results and knew you would all be waiting for them (although this extended party is great fun!).

The results from yesterday are as the Pulmonologist says all good news. I don't have TB, nor cancer nor radiation damage. Fungi is also negative but can take a month to grow. He doesn't know what I have, but does know what I don't have. He says to "stay the course" right now, do another CT scan in a month and take the Pulmonary Function Test at the end of this month. I'm not sure what "stay the course" means, except I'm not to exert myself. I'm not currently on any meds.

The only confusing part of all this is that I also saw my GP doctor, and her take on the lab report was that I have "pus filled sacs" in the lungs (usually related to abcess/infection) which the Pulmonologist didn't mention. Hopefully I can ask him about that on Monday when I should get the results of the overnight oximetry test. It may be that I need oxygen at night, which should help with the general fatigue I feel.

I sure wish there was just a magic drug to take, but I guess there isn't. So.....I'm "staying the course". I'm glad it's not cancer........

• josie123
    edited May 2015

Sew, Good news!! I'm happy it's not cancer. I assume you have a pretty hefty antibiotic for the infection. Perhaps a steroid for inflammation?What do they think it's is? Frustrating for you I'll bet.I will pray they can figure it out and develop a treatment plan.

• josie123
    edited May 2015

Brookside and Diane thanks for the encouragement on the lexapro. I got mad at myself and just took it at like 11:20. I wish I didn't read all the warnings and side effects. I really freak myself out. I even prayed about it .

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2015

Thank for posting, SEW. I'm so happy the obvious nasties have been ruled out, or, like fungus, proven unlikely. So what's left? Maybe some sort of allergy? Hopefully to housework!

Josie, you know all about listed side effects. Some people get them, some do not. Yes, it stinks to add another pill, but it stinks more to feel, well, stinky.

• josie123
    edited May 2015

Thanks Brookside. So far so good. Maybe a little tummy upset and lightheaded . But nothing to serious. I'm trying to keep busy.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2015

Cindy, it is so good to see you here.  I cannot believe how quickly your pup has grown...I am glad you have him, even if some days it seems like a lot of work...
    I have been looking to adopt a cat or two (two because we are not home some days for over 10 hours).  But every time I think I am ready to fill out that application, I remember something I have to do that would be more difficult if I had a pet.  But we will be ready, maybe this summer.
    Cindy, I keep looking at homes in CO but I know that I have to have a place back here near the water.  I don't think we can manage a long distance 2nd home...but I still look almost daily.  CO is second home to me since I lived there for 2 years and return often.  You have a lot of things to take care of, and most of all, YOU....I hope you will have the luxury of time to process such a sudden loss and change in your life.  Decisions will come and I hope you develop more clarity over time.  It must be so hard...
    Yes, it was a bummer about my ladies' group...I felt abandoned and unprotected.  At the last meeting, one took obvious efforts to resolve, and another harbored more issues because she sees it as black and white and not up for discussion.  If it doesn't get better, I will not continue.  My time is very precious lately.

My DD just sent me the most beautiful hand-written note thanking me for my support during her move and separation and birthday...it meant so much to me.  (I know, I said that last time, but that was an email...I got an even better one.)  Some days bring unexpected surprises.

Brookside, I was laughing out loud reading about me messing up their offices...HA!  I needed the chuckle. 
    I do need to keep a sense of humor at work, so thanks for reminding me.
    I hope you are feeling better after PT.

I have only 3 more classes this week, then easing up at work.  I will take off a week...looking for something to do....found some good travel deals but then realized I made a stupid mistake that cost $$ and now I feel I do not deserve to spend anything.  Will see.... 

Janis, I hope you have a wonderful visit with Elizabeth.  I'm sure you two will pick up right where you left off last time.  Send her best wishes from our thread.

Sew, I like that there is nothing "bad" on the list.  I don't like that it is a "wait and see" thing....how are you feeling?  Are you gaining any active time in your day?  Be persistent if things don't seem right to you. 
    I like this interim party....

Josie, Lexapro made me too tired -- I just wanted to sleep...I decided it was not for me.... guess everyone is different. 

Speaking of sleep, I am overdue.
    Happy week end...

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2015

Sew I can't begin to tell you how happy I am for all the good news you received.  Not knowing what you have is  certainly perplexing, but at least knowing what it isn't is a huge relief.  I really enjoyed the party and must say the drinks were amazing!  I do enjoy a nice drink but our budget doesn't allow for alcohol.  So when I tried SAB's amazing 'Mules' I had a few.  I wasn't driving of course! 

I know I can never remember to address everyone here.  I loved reading all the posts and again catching up.  You ladies can be such a hoot sometimes!

Brookside I am so sorry marriage # 2 e3nded poorly, but in the long run you know you are better off.  Still divorce is very difficult, even if you are ending a very bad marriage.  The transition is difficult and takes a very long time to recover from.  I wish I could just beam myself to you and give you a big hug.  Then we could sit and talk, and drink some wine (or those Mules) and laugh and cry and enjoy special girl time together.  Cyber hugs off to you!

Cindy, even though it is not that hot here yet, it is still getting too warm for my boyz.  Neither one of them has a very high opinion of summer.  They are Golden Retrievers so lots of thick fur.  They drink so much water when it is warm it amazes me at their ages (10+) they still sleep through the night.  It has been near 80 for a week which is well above the normal for this time of year.  Normal is 68.  We have lots of bright sunshine so 68 feels really pleasant.  This 80 stuff is already bothering me as well.  Today they got a bath and we walked them afterward before it got too warm.  I think it was about 71 when we took them for their walk.  Like you, as summer looms our walks have to be really early.  On the very hot days, over 100, we can't even walk them in the evening because it does not cool down here until past midnight.  Your talk of moving to Denver stirs up such wonderful memories for me.  My first DH is a geologist and in the 24 years he was with the company, they moved us several times.  We lived in Denver for several years.  They moved us to Wyoming and back to Denver, then to Houston.  Then back to Wyoming.  I laugh about your love of the beach and worrying about Colorado winters.  Everyone is different, and I must say the 5 years we lived in Houston were the longest years of my life.  We all hated it there.  I remember the day we left Denver, it was snowing  and we were dressed for that weather.  I cried all the way to Kansas!   By the time we got to Houston we were stunned by warmth and humidity.  We had gone there in February to house hunt and that week it was cooler and cloudy there.  Our return a few weeks later was such a shock!  We had no summer clothes so had to make an emergency run to Target to get summer things.  The entire times we lived there I had a terrible rash, like bad acne, in both armpits.  No matter what I did it never improved.  Going sleeveless was not possible it was so bad.  My hair was always frizzy.  We had no fleas in Denver and were stunned at how bad they were.  We lived in a very wooded area and our poor dogs were  miserable.  Kitties too.  This was long before the days of Frontline.  We did flea dips and used what the vet recommended but it was always a problem.  We had to treat the carpets and the perimeter of the house and garage.  I told my then DH that I felt like we lived in Love Canal.  Then there were the snakes, the cockroaches, the giant spiders......we just were not used to any of this.  The humidity was the worst though.  When the company announced they were transferring Cal back to Wyoming we were beyond thrilled.  Within a couple of weeks my armpit disaster was completely gone.  Very strange.  I know and completely understand your love for Texas and California.  I would move back to Denver in a nanosecond if it were possible.  My sister and youngest son both live in the Denver area.  I know that I left my heart there.  Wyoming too.  I love my mountains and the climate as well. 

I am going to add another post.  Feeling very excited and chatty tonight and want to mention my other friends here too!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2015

Redheaded I know that wrist injuries can be serious and very complex.  Recovery from your surgery will of course be slow, but I hope the PT is helping.  I am going to PT for my lower back and sciatica.  MRI showed I have a cyst very close to that nerve group and that sciatica is so painful.  My doctor said I could have surgery to have the cyst removed, or PT.  I opted out of surgery and the PT is helping.  I hope you are getting relief.  Healing hugs to you!

Diane it sure is tough living so far from my sister.  Now I know you are in the same situation.  Your sister sounds amazing being with her job for nearly 40 years.  That is awesome, good for her.  I am so happy you had such a good time with your recent visit.  I know how much that meant to both of you.  Fun!  Sorry you had such a scare with your escapee kids out cruising.  My boyz are so attached to us they would sit on the front porch if they ever got out.  Big spoiled babies! 

Joan congrats on your grandson celebrating his 25th.  What a joy that you were able to be together and his girlfriend was included.  What a wonderful evening that must have been.  I love that your daughter took the time to hand write a note.  That is so meaningful.  I know how much you have helped her through this transition and clearly it means the world to her.  You are a super Mama!   I could not believe that your support group was anything but supportive when you arrived late.  Really?  How petty that seems and then to have it blow up the way it did is so upsetting.  Big loving hugs from me.  I would sure understand.

April you have so much on your plate right now.  I can't imagine how scared both you and DH are with all his symptoms.  When the tests don't reveal some indication of what is wrong, it is scary.  His weight loss alone would be terrifying.  I read 'Thinner', very creepy.  Although I am pretty sure nobody put a curse on him.  Between that and the loss of your first DH, I know it must be overwhelming at times.  I really hope your DH's doctors can finally figure out what is happening to him.  Of course it will be something treatable.  My heart goes out to you sweetie.  I wish I could help.  Will send lots of love your way.  HUGS, lots of those too.

Josie I am glad that we were able to talk about the Lexapro.  I understand how starting a new med can be a bit unnerving.  I glance at the SE's but never dwell on them.  I hope that you tolerate it well and that it helps.  We started pretty close I am a couple weeks ahead of you.  It takes 6-8 weeks before you feel the benefits, and they are very subtle.  We can compare notes.  It does not make me sleepy and I have not experienced any SE's at all.  I am in your corner my friend and I hope you begin to feel better soon.  You have a lot of stress in your busy life and I know it is hard to find some special quiet time just for you.  Don't be hard on yourself please.  Look at all you have accomplished raising the family and working and doing all the other extra things you do for your daughters.  They are very lucky to have a mom who cares so much for them.  Be good to YOU.  Everything is going to be fine.  Give the Lexapro a chance to work and I bet you will feel better soon.  Always remember there is no shame in having depression.  It is a disease, and very manageable.  Hang in there are call me anytime you want to talk.  Plenty of hugs to you!

I know I am forgetting someone and I apologize.  I am really tired but not sleepy.  I still can't believe Elizabeth will be here tomorrow.  It is so exciting.  I want to make this visit so special for her you know?  Since this trip was her birthday gift from her family, I am planning a little surprise for her.  I am so busy getting ready I did not bake her a cake (gasp)!  Instead I ordered a cake from Costco, my sister tells me they are wonderful.  They are big but that is okay.  We can snack on it for days.  I  have been tucking a little money away here and there so I got these cute, sassy B-day plates and napkins in bright fun colors.  No flowers, but a fun design and I loved the colors.....black, hot pink and a little teal.  I got streamers and the birthday banner that matches the set.  I bought a package of balloons in the same pink and also black ones.  Then I got Mylar balloons that also match.  I had a blast picking things out.  DH and I will decorate the house shortly before we leave for the airport.  I planned a dinner I hope she will enjoy.  She said she only has two foods she doesn't care for.  Milk and raw onions.  Wow, I wish I only had two things I don't like.  I don't drink milk either.  So I am making St. Louis ribs with my homemade BBQ sauce, Cole slaw, my delish pasta salad and garlic bread with my homemade garlic butter.  My poor Dh is already drooling.  When I made both of the salads tonight he had a small bowl of each after they had chilled a couple hours.  I made more than enough so I allowed him the cheat!  :)  One night we will make our favorite taco salads.  I haven't planned past that we will figure it out.  She is here for four nights, she leaves very early Thursday morning.  I will send her wishes Joan, I now she will like that.

Much love and good health to all.  I am blessed to have all of you in my world.

• edwards750
    edited May 2015

Awesome Sew! so happy it's not the C word.

Josie- my son said Lexapro made him feel aloof sometimes. He was calmer but sometimes too much so.

Janis - love your posts. Sounds like a great party in store for Elizabeth. I wish there were just 2 things I didn't like too. I am proud of my sister. Since she has retired hopefully we can visit more often - money permitting.

Weather is getting hot here too. Yikes it's only May!

Diane

• josie123
    edited May 2015

Janis, sounds like a great time. Enjoy your time with Elizabeth.

Diane, thanks for commenting about your sons experiences.I hate to admit but I had to stop taking it already. It made my hands really hot, dilated pupils and a little blurry vision. That was only after 1 dose. Even my husband felt my hands and said they were hot. They stayed hot till this morning.I know it may not be dangerous but the doc on call told me not to take it today and call my MO tommorow.

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2015

Seems you can't win, Josie. Feeling down in the dumps is bad enough. Having your body have a hissy fit when you try to treat it is totally unfair. Didn't you say you'd had good results with Celexa in the past? I think that's for anxiety, not depression, but as someone posted earlier, the two are pretty much connected. Maybe that would be the way to go?

Joy to you and Elizabeth, Janis. Happy, happy visit, party, celebration, catching up, girl stuff ann all the rest!

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited May 2015

Well, today I found out my favorite P.T guy is not going off to do clinicals after all, so YAY I get to keep working with this wonderful guy.  He is bummed and didn't talk about it, just said things happen for a reason and next summer he would do it.  Not sure if he had to make a cut, or pass a test or what.....I have reached that stage (age 58) when all the docs are younger than me, these sport medicine kids could probably be mine...... 

I was so upset on Friday am that I called another PT group in town that I had worked with a year ago on my breast issues to see what would go into moving my PT there, knowing the doctor was going to explode.   I just really  (as an only child) am used to getting what I want......can you tell???/ LOL

• edwards750
    edited May 2015

Brookside - I can relate to ignoring the signs of being in a bad relationship. I was miserable but kept deluding myself into thinking it would get better. It didn't. My parents could have said I told you so - they didn't. I remember my Dad telling me he would keep me in tears. He did.

Josie - sorry about those horrible SEs from Lexapro. Sometimes the so called cure is worse than the problem. I hope your dr can prescribe something you can live with. Wellbutrin worked for me but that was pre-Tamoxifen days. Can't mix it the two. A friend of mine takes Xanax every now and then. She gave me one once. Whoa! I was so laid back it was scary.

Okay this is Mother's Day week - not day...we all deserve to be honored all week. I got my first of several MD presents from my fav store Pier1. This is also a reminder my Mom is gone. Miss her a lot. She was the best!

Diane

• josie123
    edited May 2015

Redheaded, glad you get your PT for now. I've worked with a few and all have been excellent. And yes they all seem to be very young.

• josie123
    edited May 2015

Diane, yes I've win the prize for scarey side effects. My oncologist says those are the only 2 antidepressant s she can give me with Tamoxifen. I will not take effexor again so I'm going to try 5mg of Lexapro instead. I must be crazy but I guess I'll try it.

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2015

Can you cut, chop, or bite the pill in half? Maybe a gentle introduction will lessen side effects.

Janis, I'm hoping you're having such fun with Elizabeth that you forget about us entirely.

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2015

Josie, can you cut, chop, or bite the pill in half? Maybe a gentle introduction will lessen side effects.

Janis, I'm hoping you're having such fun with Elizabeth that you forget about us entirely.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2015

Ok...some news. My culture from the biopsy is growing bacteria. Apparently I have staphylococcus haemolyticus in my lungs. Of course I do! Except I don't have any of the reasons for me to have that in my lungs ....I didn't have a port or chemo, I don't have a wound, urinary track infection or various other things which might bring this on. I think I caught it from my Mom while she was in the hospital for 7 days with pneumonia, congestive heart failure, RSV and the flu. She, of course is just fine now, at age 96. And I have this! So, the Dr. wanted blood tests before starting treatment. I expected to have a CBC etc. When I got to the lab, he had also ordered 2 blood culture tests. I'd never heard of such a thing, but yes, they intend to try to grow bacteria etc. from my blood. Apparently it will tell them lots of things. They draw blood directly in to two different jars of solution. Then you wait 20 minutes and have another draw for the second test into 2 different jars and from a different vein. I hope they figure out something because meanwhile I'm exhausted.

But....I did hire a cleaning service. The will come for the deep clean next Monday. I just have to organize all those things we just ignore between now and then......hence my exhaustion I think.

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2015

Good news, SEW. If it's a bacteria, then it must respond to some antibiotic or other and can be absolutely done away with. Yay. I've had the blood culture test a couple of times. What I hate about it is that they have to scrub your arm with iodine for a seemingly endless time before they can draw the blood. I much prefer plain old needle sticks.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2015

SEW it sounds like you are getting closer to some real answers. Thank goodness! They will figure this thing out and get you mended up. It sounds like a lot less serious than some things it could be. Thank you for keeping us posted.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2015

Sew,, antibiotics call for probiotics in my books. At the very least Yogurt, but better yet, the yellow box - Culturelle