Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2015

Janis - That is awful. I am close to the hood as we call it but not right in it. We have had a few of those drug houses also but managed to get them out fast. Two years ago I had some kid jump my fence with the police behind him. Thank God my doors were locked and they caught him. We just never know really.

Diane - It will be fine. You got this.

SAB - every time I see your picture I want to go back to LA or someplace in Ca.

Well I went to the Urgent Care last week and they only let me see a PA. Gave me a brace that will not stay belted and told me to go see my reg dr. We had a power failure last night for about 3 hours. No flashlight and spinning from vertigo I fell. Caught myself and did not hurt anything. This morning I am still spinning and the knee/ankle are swollen. Going to have to break down and go to the ER for a tune up. Need to make sure the knnee /ankle are not a clot from dropping the HRT and they can give me IV fluids and some dizzy meds while I wait. I called all 4 of my drs and that was the advice. Not one had an opening or would make one for me.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2015

Josie I am really sorry to hear about the panic attacks.  I wish there was an easy answer.  Try slow, deep breaths if you can.  Especially when driving.  If it gets bad please pull over.  I would hate to hear you had an accident!  Call anytime okay?  Please know how very much you are loved here!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2015

Janis, maybe now the police will keep watch on that house, as I too think they're dealing drugs over there. Has anyone tried to contact the parents? I bet they have no idea what's going on. Perhaps they could do a little intervention (or actually a LOT of intervention).

April. sending hugs and healing thoughts to both you and your DH. Let us know how he is.

Cindy, thinking of you and hoping you're finding each day just a little easier. Give that puppy a big hug...he'll hug you back which is great therapy.

Bunkie....you need to catch a break. Can you get that house sold this year? That might help some. And what's with this dehydration? Can't that lead to some of your vertigo and/or low blood pressure? I do hope you get this all under control soon, it has got to be so tough to dealing with all this

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited May 2015

Happy, Happy NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!  Big D was lurking on May 9th!!!!!!!!!!  I have pm'd her.

Huggers to all.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2015

BUNKIE, sorry to hear about the knee/ankle. Hope they can help you with it. Sorry to hear you also have problems in your neighborhood.

Janis, thank you. I will probably find out in the next few days if I have a jib still or if they are going to fire me. I have been applying.This apparently isn't the right job for me.

Fran thanks for the update on Big D. I hope she is doing ok.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2015

Gee, Josie, workwise, it sure seems you are out of the frying pan and into the fire. Do you think it's the particular staff you're working with? I'm guessing something about this job is the reason for your anxiety and panic attacks? If so, they decidedly do not deserve you. So there! Whatever it is that's not working, I sure hope you find a place where that task or skill or tolerance is very absent from the job description.

Hope you're feeling the antibiotic really getting to work now, Sew.

Looking forward to hearing from you, BigD, and sure hoping you're doing well.

Those of you who haven't been checking in (you know who you are), please do be aware we do notice your absence and continue to think of you and look forward to the time when you'll let us know how you're doing.

• josie123
    edited May 2015

Brookside, I agree, I can't seem to cut a break with my jobs. I thought it was the one for me and looked forward to staying for a long time but I don't know if I've been able to prove myself to them. And if not then too bad. I have tried to improve my self by speeding up and trying to remember thing like if it's a well woman exam and They are over 40 get them a mammogram order and new OB s get blood work panel ordered. So when that DR comes out looking for the order it better be ready. They have had me under a microscope for the past 30 days and if I forget something or the DR comes in the room interrupt ing me I know that's one more thing against me. Also I found out my co worker is reporting back to my supervisor about my performance and when I admitted to not feeling comfortable drawing blood since I haven't done it since school she reported that back to my supervisor. My other co worker told me this. I just am too trustfull I guess. I will have to watch every step around her.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2015

Tapanga, I just saw your post tonight. I haven't read straight through, but dear girl do not pull those stickers off quickly. I woke up in the middle of the night and mine was itchy, so I quickly pulled it off without thinking. I pulled the skin off under it, and it hurt so much - more than anything else, which is so odd. Now I will go upward and read and see if they are off yet. I would think lots of oil might work those off gently. I had tattoos too, but they chose to put a sticker on when I had my boosts, so they wouldn't have to reset the machine. Just proceed with lots of oil, I think.

Bunky, good to see you here. Sorry about the dizzy. I have some of that too. It helps in open places to have a shopping cart and also it helps to hold someone's hand while walking. If that is not possible, i know how miserable that is. Dehydration can act that way, for sure. It is so hard to stay hydrated. Christiane Northrup, MD suggests standing on one foot and then the other first with your eyes open and working toward doing it with your eyes closed. It is supposed to help your vestibular system. I have been working with that some.

Josie, sorry to hear about your panic attacks. I am such a victim to those. I have been taking Xanax for it, but I am trying to taper away from it. I am having a tough time with that. The Xanax only works in the short run, so at this point four years out, it is working against me. I have been working with qigong and guided meditation and I have quite a bit of luck with that, along with tapping. It is an ongoing process. It is just no fun when your autonomic nervous system takes over. Your job situation doesn't help anything, I know. I hope things work out for you there.

SEW glad you are getting better slowly, but surely. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

April I am praying for your husband too. I hope they get this figured out and soon.

Joan, glad you are getting some free time soon. Brookside, your clothing situation and mine sound very similar. I have two guest rooms with my clothing stacked on both beds. I also have two closets here in the townhouse. I keep weeding things out, but I need to do more.

Janis, I can't imagine how that must have felt, hearing the shots. I have had similar experiences here. We live in a new neighborhood, and some people renting from the owners here are not being screened. We have kept on these situations with the association to try to keep the really bad ones moving. I have seen my share of police cars and ambulances across the street. Thank goodness that guy is now gone. He scared me. He had kids too!!

Cindy, you are in my thoughts. SAB hi to you. Edwards sending positive vibes out to you. You will be glad to be done with this for one more year, I hope?

Hi to everyone else. I am back in Minnesota. It is chilly here, but I don't mind. 70's by mid week sounds wonderful. Love, GiGi

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2015

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I try not to freak out before a mammogram. My sister just told me her BS just died from BC - she was 46. The tumor was behind the chest wall and not showing up on the mammogram. Not until she was short of breath did they realize something was wrong. OMG how scary and horrible.

Dang Josie so sorry about the panic attacks. You just can't get a break with your jobs and what's with the tattle tale co-worker? One snitch in every office. You will find the right job.

Janis - good grief living in the hood. I would have been petrified too. Def call the parents. Subjecting a child to that is despicable. We don't live in Mayberry but fortunately for now not a lot of crime in the township where I live.

I hope we hear from the absentees soon. Just wondering how they are all doing.

Have a good week everyone!

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2015

Josie, why are you even trying to remember all that stuff? I imagine the more they criticize you, the more you forget. Haven't they given you a chart/cheatsheet/checklist with all the procedures laid out? If it isn't too late, please either make one up yourself or ask them to do it for you. A one-pager can easily slip into, or on top of, a patient chart, and, of course, just as easily slip out at the end of your interaction. On your desk, a chart can fit nicely into a picture frame.

And please protect yourself! We females so easily do the mea culpa (my fault) thing. If, after this amount of time, procedures are not automatic, it's their fault for faulty management. You probably need to be clear that your learning process is visual, not verbal, and that you need written procedures. This is also something to keep in mind when you are interviewing prospective employers. Yes, not only are they interviewing you, but you are interviewing them.

Meanwhile, chill out. These people and their annoyances will so easily disappear into the dust. The right job is out there, and so is the short-term job that will make you happy until the exactly right one turns up.

Gigil, thank you for being a sister in too many clothes! I have to get everything organized by the last weekend of the month when my youngest is coming to help me move my office (from a rented space into my house).

My ENT used to have me do that one-foot thing with my eyes closed to identify whether my dizziness sprang from my left or right inner ear. Now, my PT tells me that the side where my balance is worse is merely a presentation of muscle weakness. Different folks, different strokes!

Edwards, how very, very awful about your sister's poor BS. Sometimes I think we should all have some sort of whole-body imaging as a routine procedure.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited May 2015

Hi ladies,

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. Husband is still in the hospital. He will be having surgery on Thursday for something called a "pleural empyema" which is a result of a bacterial pneumonia. It is an infection around the wall and the pleural lining of the lung. It is a serious surgery in that it has a high mortality rate but it is improving all of the time.

]They will be doing a VATS which is a laparoscopic procedure to cut away the "wall" that is built up from stiffening of the lining. It is also known as "stuck lung" syndrome and used to carry a mortality rate of 40-60%! Much better now - 11-20% but still not crazy about those odds either. It is not usually the surgery that is a problem but the aftermath can be dangerous. Sepsis is a problem and other possible things that can happen. He will be in ICU for several days following the surgery and I pray that this will solve his issues.

They feel this was the problem the entire time...he had pneumonia but did not realize it! Coupled with his then mild anemia, it tanked his levels (they gave him some blood the other day and he feels much better in terms of his overall health) and caused weight loss and severe lowering of his hemoglobin and hematocrit. His levels went dangerously low which is why they transfused him on Saturday. It is not something they do lightly which is why they waited until it was in a critical number area.

Because Yale is 60 miles round trip from home and I am working in between this madness, I am drained physically and mentally as well as emotionally. I have a diabetic cat so have to run home in time to give him his evening shot and feed him so leaving  the hospital before I want to leave really sucks. But, I am a "cat mom" and have an obligation to my baby since the day we took him from the shelter and he counts on me.

Enough about the madness. Just wanted to check in and thank you all for your good wishes and caring. Love to all and sorry can't read everything and do individual shout outs. Cindy is amazing and could never compete with her there...LOL

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2015

April, thank you for letting us know; we've all been so worried. You must be so relieved to finally have a diagnosis. What a sneaky pneumonia that has turned out to be--never would have thought such a thing would be possible. But Yikes! All the hazards you and your poor husband will face. He is so lucky to have you by his side, both figuratively and literally. And so is kitty!

Sending extra prayers your way.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2015

April, we'll all be there for the surgery Thursday, and will stay till he's out of ICU. Pneumonia is nothing to mess with (I'm finding that out first hand) I do think they've finally found what has been making him so ill, and he's in a great hospital so that should ease your mind some. Thanks for the update and we've got you covered with hugs, love and support to get both of you thru this.......

• Tapanga
    Tapanga Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2015

GigiL- you will be happy to know that I didn't pull them off. They started to loosen quite a bit and with soap and water and lotion my husband was able to help them the rest of the way without any damage to the skin.

April - praying for you and your husband.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2015

April, just adding myself to the group hug and telling you that you will be on my mind on Thursday.

• edwards750
    edited May 2015

April - Praying for you and DH. I'm glad too they finally found the cause of all his pain. We are all with you every step of the way. I'm sure you are drained so try and take a few for yourself. Bless you for taking care of your kitty baby. I'm all about rescues.

Keep the faith and keep us posted. Group hug.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2015

Joining in on the group hug, April

• edwards750
    edited May 2015

Mammogram all clear. 1 more year until the 5 year mark. BS said they are organizing a Survivor Group that should be up and running in January 2016. Good idea and one I will participate in.

Diane

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2015

Hi all,
    I read back all the posts...can't say much right now but am thinking of you...
    April, you are a few hours away from DH's surgery. They have to tell you all the worst case scenario. I will join the prayers and positive thoughts for DH and for you...for the physical, emotional and financial resources to get you through this time. I thought maybe you should board your cat with a vet; but on second thought, it may give you some comfort to spend that time with your cat baby. I am so sorry that this is all necessary; but I hope this will reverse the debilitating effects of the disease.
    Tanaka, way to go...finished with rads YAY!!! and now the stickers are off....rest up, spoil yourself, eat well...and put this all behind you. Soon you will find that you are focusing on everyday life instead of treatment. I hope you will stay around...we are all still in "recovery" -- doing our everyday things.
    Diane, GREAT news. So happy about the good mammo.
    Fran, I am happy to hear that Big D Joan has been on BCO. Let's hope we hear some news soon.
    Bunkie, Josie, Brookside, Sew, SAB, Janis, Gigil, Cindy...and others near and far -- thinking of you and sending thoughts and prayers for any challenges you are facing this week.
    Hugs,

Joan

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2015

Thinking of you and hubby, April. May his surgery and recovery (and your recovery from his recovery!) go smoothly. Prayers.

Great mammo news, Edwards. Also great that your hospital is setting up a survivor group. My local hospital has a living with cancer group, but that does not have exactly the same nuance, and I have not ventured over there. I'd be very likely, however, to go to a survivor group (one very much like this thread, I'd hope!).

I've been thinking of you, Josie, and hoping all is well. Sometimes even the stuff we do not want turns out to be for the better, you know.

Is the semester over, and are you all nice and relaxed now, Joan?

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2015

Tapanga - Love the name. Try a little baby oil on the stickers or some warm water. Hope you get them off. I have really sensitive skin so all adhesives bother me.

Gigil - I tried standing on one foot and will continue to see if I can build up some leg strength You have been busy for sure. Miss talking to you. Will check in soon.

April - praying for you and your hubby. I had pneumonia twice before they discovered my Sarcoidosis. Awful and real scary. Takes a long time to get the lungs back up and running. Might have to do some rehab on that. I hear ya about the diabetic pet. We had a dog years ago that was and had to give him shots plus keep a sppon ful of sugar around in case he got wobbly. He hated the shots so my dad rigged a harness to put him in and hoist him up and he could not move and it was fast and he got used to it.  Lots of work but we love our pets.

Edwards - YEAH!!!! Happy Dance for sure.

Josie -  I also get panic attacks. never had them before my mom and dad passed away and I got sick again. First one felt like a heart attack. I have some low dose valium I keep for that but try not to take it because I like it too much. It makes me not really care what anyone does or says so I get about  30 pills a year and that is my limit. If you had a better job situation it could take some of that pressure off. hang in there.

Brookside - I am still dizzy but hanging in there.

SAB, Sew, Janis and anyone I missed - just sayin hello

Sooo I went to the ER Monday for the vertigo and my swollen knee. When I got there it was really packed but they got me in fast because I kept falling over. Took me 11 pokes with needles to find a vein...thanks prednisone. Dr came in an looked into my eyes with a light and told me I had nystagmus. That is where your eyeballs are turning about. Gave me a cocktail of antivert/benedryl and some other drug. Night night I was out. When I woke up I had another Dr asking me about the HRT situation and possible blood clots. So I greed to a CT scan of the lungs and a ultrasound of my leg to look for any clots. During the CT Scan I started to shake uncontrolably. The tech kept giving me blankets but I could not stop. My vertigo started up again and I was throwing up. So they wheeled me back to the room and I went back to sleep. When I woke up this time there was a cardiologist standing there all concerned because my heart did some flips when I was sleeping. So being that I am over 60 and have all this stuff going on they ordered a stress test. I could not do the treadmill so I ended up with the nuclear stress test. That is where they shoot you with a drug that makes your heart race . They kept me overnight and planned to do the test in the AM. However I needed my steroids at 9 am with food and they could not do the test till 2pm. After that test I started to tingle and shake again. So they fed me and kept me all day till it stopped. I spent yesterday in bed trying to get my body to settle back down. The good thing is that I had no blood clots and my heart is fine. They did not address the knee pain and swelling so I asked them to call my rhumatoligist who is on the hospital staff. They did not and told me to go see her after I got home. Huh? So I called her and she was really ticked because she would have ordered an Xray while I was there. I also went on the internet and discovered violent shaking is a reaction to the dye used in the CT scan. No more iodine for me and that is strange because I eat shrimp etc with no problem.

I have an appt at U of Mi for vestibular testing in July. I am just going to pray nothing else happens till I get that test and we see if anything changed in 4 years. If not and with a clear MRI last fall I am just never going to get this vertigo under control and will have to adjust my life to that.

• josie123
    edited May 2015

Bunkie, so sorry you had such a rough time. Why didn't they recognize the allergic reaction to the iodine?That's ridiculous. They had to of known something wasn't right. Good thing your heart was ok and no blood clots. I hope you can get tha knee x rayed.

Sometimes you can be allergic to iodine and have no reaction to shrimp unless it's fresh. My dad has that problem. He swells up But still eats it.

Diane, so happy for you that mammogram was all clear.

Brookside, thanks for thinking of me. I'm hanging in there. My managers met with me yesterday. They said they saw some improvements but there are a few thing I could still improve upon. They didn't specify what. And. Mentioned the blood draw and how comfortable I was with that. I was honest I haven't done it since school and that was 2011.I asked him would you want me drawing blood on you?I never said I couldn't do it but may need to brush up my skills a little.I never got the opportunity though.I mentioned my thoughts on Thursdays and how crazy it gets why they aren't pulling the other MA up front to help room patients. They said the other two don't pull me wen I'm up front so why do I feel like I need more help. BS is wha it is. And I tried to tell them there is a need. I might as well jus quit if that is there thoughts on that. In other words they seem to think it's my problem not theirs.

• josie123
    edited May 2015

April my thoughts are with you and your hubby. I hope all went well today.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2015

Josie, it is almost like they are taking advantage of your humility - admitting your own concerns.  I would rather have a medical person who knows her limits than one who experiments on me!  I did not remember drawing blood being part of the job initially.  Is there a place where you can go to brush up on such skills?  I don't know what to say about them not acknowledging that there is a need for help.  They could have encouraged you and said do the best you can - that some days are crazier than others.  Instead, it seems they are willing to intimidate.  Try to be strong and do your best but always be cautious as your innermost feelings tell you.  Hugs...
    Bunkie, glad you got those tests done while you were feeling symptoms.  How strange that you couldn't get advice from your rheumatoid doc.  There is no teamwork in most places so patients are treated like separate entities by specialists instead of as one whole body.  It is such a waste of time, money, and opportunity to heal and learn.
    April, I have been thinking of you all day.  I hope DH is recovering.  It is exhausting to wait....I am hoping for good news soon.
    As far as me being relaxed, well, my summer class was canceled yesterday so I have no stress.  I still have 3 weeks of work days ahead, but no grueling evening schedule.  I will miss teaching, and I will miss the money even more.  But I will truly relax and am planning some time with things and people I care about.  Trying to keep the expenses down, but it is difficult.
    I will see my son in Chicago soon...he is moving out of the Corn Cob towers (Marina Towers) this week end.  Last year when I visited him, I enjoyed the view from his 49th floor apartment on the Chicago River.  But for him, change is good.  He was here Mother's Day, and I really am looking forward to having some fun times with him and his girlfriend. 
    I am lonely....work sux right now....but life is still good.  I have only blessings to count.  And I have choices...good ones.  And most of all health.
    And I thank God for each one of you....it is so good to have dear friends who understand that baseline of being post-cancer.  There are so many things we just don't have to say....we've all been there!
    I hope someday we will all meet up somewhere for a wild week end!
    J

• josie123
    edited May 2015

Thanks Joan.I appreciate that.

I hope I can find something else soon before I just up and quit.

I'm sorry your summer classes were cancelled. But try to enjoy your time off.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited May 2015

Hi ladies,

Thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers and pocket company. DH is in Surgical ICU for a day or two and then on to a regular room. He has two drains (or three?) and they will be in for a week or so. He is in some pain but that is taken care of with IV morphine. This was a loooooong day but I am hoping he can begin healing and get healthy from here. His surgery ended up taking twice as long as they thought due to having a hard time tubing him even though he passed the barium swallow test yesterday..sigh. It was a harrowing 3.5 hours.

Exhausted so going to catch an hour of television and go to bed. Working until 2 tomorrow and then to the hospital as it has been for the last 9 days. Will be so happy when he comes home!

Will let you know when I know more. So far, no sign of anything like cancer so that is good but until pathology says so, we can't be sure of course.

Love to all and thanks for your good wishes. xoxo

• josie123
    edited May 2015

April, I'm so glad he's recovering well and pain free.

((((Hugs))))

Get some rest now

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2015

So glad that nasty surgery is all over with and your husband can start to heal, April. And certainly overjoyed that it does not look as though it's anything but an infection. Hopefully, the pathology will be back soon and you both can rest your fears and just appreciate and enjoy one another. I don't suppose you'd consider taking a little time off from your clients? Just for a little R &R so you can really be there for your husband? Your stress level must be through the roof. And there must be someone somewhere who would be delighted to learn to give your kitty his injections?

Josie, in the last job, it seems your managers addressed in excruciating detail every single aspect of every procedure you needed to complete. Now your new bosses are telling you to improve, but won't tell you what needs improvement? Wow. That pendulum does swing! In junior high, I'll bet they were the mean girls.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2015

Josie - Apparently they look for things like rash and passing out but not violent shakin? What the heck is wrong with these jobs nowdays? This is the second one you have had that is icky. Makes me glad I retired early. No telling what would have happened at the phone co in the last 10 years.

April - That is such good news. OMG.....please get a little rest. You need it. We will all stay in your pocket for the week end. Lets hope the good news continues.

Joan - You are right about no teamwork. I mean really. My Dr is on the hospital staff list. I try to pick Drs that are because I want them to connect the dots. I mentioned her when I went in and asked them to call her. I guess I could have but why should I have to do it when I am in the hospital getting care. That happened when I had my GB surgery back in 2011. I had after care problems and my Drs ofc told me to go to the ER so I did. When I got there I told them I had just had surgery and who my Dr was. They treated me for pain and sent me home. My Dr was in the hospital doing surgery at the time. They never paged him. His office was really upset and if I remember they fired someone at the hospital.

I am still having some after affects but I will give my body a good week to settle down. I forgot how bad I responded to radiation and what is a CT scan? Yup so I will just drink my fluids and rest. Woke up early today and could not go back to sleep. Took a shower and my body was still doing a tremble. I was laughing as I held on to the rack in there and tried to wash. If you had told me 10 years ago when I was trying to surf in California that I would now be housebound in Mi I would have never believed it. Life can change in 1 second so I am really thankful for all that I did when I was younger. I called a friend to take me to get my hair washed today and that is it for me.

• edwards750
    edited May 2015

Thanks guys. I am just glad I'm done until next year.

Joan - sorry about your class canceling but do try and relax and enjoy the time off especially hooking up with your son and his GFF.

April - so happy the surgery is done. I hope you can find some time to de-stress. Positive thoughts about the Path report.

Bunkie - good grief you have been through it. What's with these hospitals not paging your doctor when he was in the hospital? Vertigo is a bummer. Anything at all they can prescribe that will help?

Josie - don't get your bosses. I'm would have appreciated your candor about drawing blood. The nurse who drew my blood b4 my lumpectomy was clearly nervous and ended up calling another nurse to help. Unnerving to say the least. No job is worth panic attacks but I also understand gotta have the $. All you can do is your best.

Brookside - thanks I will join that group when it's organized. Already with one through the church. These ladies are so proactive. We socialize for lunch and dinner too. It's comforting to talk about what ails you and know they understand.

Happy Memorial Day everyone. My nephew's graduation party is tonight and tomorrow night is my other nephew's engagement party. Sister and BIL are in Tunica and will be in town for the parties.

Diane