Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited April 2015

Thanks Josie. Glad she is k. Have a nice weekend everyone!

One of my brothers and I are headed to Atlanta Tuesday for my sister's retirement dinner. She is retiring from IBM and will be honored at an upscale restaurant in downtown Atlanta. She is moving on after 37 years with the company. Incredible! How many people can say that these days? She has already had a surprise luncheon complete with gifts. Looking forward to what promises to be a very emotional night for her but also a very happy event because she starts a new chapter in her life.

Diane

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2015

imageJust thought I would share this

Study found 2 cups of coffee a day helps kill cancer cells in combination of Tamoxofin.http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/292879.p

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2015

Ok, time for an update. I saw the pulmonologist this week and apparently my case is a bit strange. I've got this infection on both sides with apparently abscesses in both of them (looks like black holes on the ct). My oxygen levels plummet as soon as I start walking, and apparently my respiratory system is pretty messed up. Apparently this in fact could be cancer but if it is it would be a rare one. He can't do a bronchoscopy because it's all the way at the bottom of my lungs and he doubts he can get a scope that far down. so, he has ordered a CT guided lung needle biopsy which I will have next Wednesday morning. That one should rule out the cancer question and hopefully will identify this. If it doesn't then I will have an open lung biopsy at a later date. I'm also scheduling an oximetry overnight test looking for sleep apnea/oxygen levels at night and also a full pulmonary function test. The later won't be until late in May which seems a bit slow to me, but I gather that will not tell me what I have, but rather how my lungs are functioning.

Meanwhile I'm not to exercise and as a result of that all the PVC weird beats of my heart have stopped, or at least I don't feel them. I've got 2 more days of antibiotic and I'm unsure if that has helped at all. I think the inhaler I've been given has helped. I've never had one before. And, oh, I still can't breath and my legs turn to jelly if I try.

• josie123
    edited April 2015

Oh Sew, I'm sorry they still don't know exactly what is wrong. Please know we will be with you for that biopsy.In the meantime take it easy and follow dr's orders and hang in there sweetie.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2015

I am sorry for the long absence.  I finally went to see the gal who prescribes my anti-depressants and sleep meds.  I knew the Paxil wasn't helping much anymore and thought she might switch me to a new one.  She told me Paxil is the worst anti depressant to get off.  She said you cannot quit cold turkey and it takes a good 6 months to wean from it.  Wow.  Instead she prescribed Lexapro to boost the Paxil.  It takes 6-8 weeks to start feeling better but I am trying really hard.  New drama about my dad has not helped.  It is an ongoing mess, but since my sister shares this boat with me we call a few times a week.

Sew, I am just catching up here and what an ordeal you have been through!  I am so sorry for all of this and you know I am in your corner cheering you on.  It has to be frustrating and scary to not have an exact diagnosis.  I absolutely will be in your pocket next Wednesday.  I am bring cake balls.  Looking for additional volunteers to join in the festivities.  I am pretty sure this will be a very crowded event.  Sew big, big hugs to you.  Thinking of you.

I am actually very busy right now but I will post soon I promise.  I think of all of you amazing women every day.  Love and hugs to all.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2015

(((Sew)))

(((Josie)))

Can we all please send prayers today or positive energy for our group...

I will light my angel candle to remind me of each need here.

I was behind but just read back. My heart is breaking for those who hurt.

Thinking of Cindy. And Janis.

Each one here is so special and I should name you all.

I don't have a sister, but here I have many.

😍

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited April 2015

Joan - definitely have all of us on the prayer list. I do have a sister but feel the same way that you guys are sisters too.

Sew - bless your heart you are going through so much. So sorry. We will all be with you through your tests and procedures complete with Janis' cake balls. My son takes Lexapro. It does take the edge off.

Glad you checked in Janis and also that you and your sister have each other to help cope.

Thanks for that good news about coffee Josie. I am a big time coffee drinker but only the plain stuff. No sugar and no cream. Can't function w/o it.

Diane

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2015

Janis, we both posted at the same time. Good to see you.

Speaking of anti-cancer remedies, I just heard this one that sounds pretty suspect to me. "Mix real maple syrup with baking soda and consume it. The syrup attracts the cancer cells and the baking soda kills them"). Anybody heard that?

It makes no sense to me but made me smile- mainly because maple syrup is a favorite if mine. 😜

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited April 2015

I'm so glad the nutritionist at my cancer center isn't on this fthread....HA

Love Coffee,  Love Maple syrup, is it just a pinch of baking soda and a glass of syrup?

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2015

Ah Joan, you made me tear up reminding me of the affection and support I have received over the years from this group.

Sew, I'll be with you on Wednesday. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this "mystery." Also frustrated that nothing ever seems to be simple or easy when it comes to our health. I am sending hugs and hopes that all of these tests will yield answers and treatments, and that you'll be back to full health very quickly!

Josie girl, I'm sorry that you are dealing with side effects and work stuff at the same time. I often wonder why there is no time to do our work right the first time, but always plenty of time to do it over again.

Hi Janis. I hope that the med combo will be helpful. Maybe your frequent contact with your sister can be the silver lining in all the terrible family stuff that is going down.

Things are OK here. Too much work and not enough play. Dd the elder celebrated 6 years sober this week, and dd the younger continues to struggle with a complete lack of direction and enthusiasm. Dh has finally embraced our new socioeconomic status and has started working full time along with me. With work, class (me) guitar jams (him) and taking care of business (both) we don't see each other too much! I tell him the marriage could last forever this way!

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited April 2015

SEW thinking about you and sending positive energy your way. I will be with you when you go through testing this coming week. You have just had enough lately as it is. Janis, hugs to you too. I am so grateful to have all of us here to care about each other. I have been having trouble with visual migraines lately. I had them as a younger woman, but had a long break from them. Now they are back with the stresses of the past few years. This tax audit has really put me over the edge. Of course I can't help but worry a little extra with the BC in my background. I have been to a very good ophthalmologist twice in the last couple of years and they reassure me this is nothing serious, however, when they happen they freak me out!! Ah well, it is always something, right? Love to every one of you. GiGi

• Redheaded1
    edited April 2015

Sew, Janice, Josie ((((HUGS HUGS HUGS)))   will be in your pocket Sew on Wednesday until it gets crowded, then I'll be perched on the light fixture or swinging from the machines in the room  How about the doc?.  Is he cute???? Maybe i'll jump over into his pocketsHappy

• kickingcancersbutt
    kickingcancersbutt Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2015

SEW Went thru the same thing several months after high dose radiation. Kept going to my regular doc-told me I had pneumonia-kept running fever on heavy duty abx-kept going back-couldn't eat-couldn't walk a flight of stairs-pulse oximetry low. He gave me IV fluids in office cause I was so dehydrated but nothing else. Finally after 4 weeks he was off and saw MD covering. I had a temp of 102 and pulse Ox of 85%- She called an ambulance-admitted to hospital-chest x-ray horrible-CT scan per pulmonologist worse he'd ever seen. Put me on heavy duty IV abx-bronchoscopy done ( don't ever recommend one ) all tests and biopsies negative but got a collapsed lung from bronch. When all the testing was negative they finally decided that I had Pneumonitis from radiation-a very rare SE from rads. Treated with high dose steroids and O2 therapy at home. Took me 3 months but finally got my O2 levels to normal. Also and a CT guided lung Biopsy-it was easy sleasie-they give you great happy drugs and you don't feel a thing-much better than the bronchi. So you might want to mention pneumonitis to your pulmonologist-doesn't happen right away after rads which is why most people don't put the symptoms together with the SE

• MostlySew
    edited April 2015

Kicking....my gosh, you sure went thru the wringer. And all you wanted was to get thru BC treatment! I'm glad they finally got you fixed up. I'm even more glad to hear about the happy drugs for the lung biopsy......now, that I can look forward to! They told me I'd need a driver, but I didn't realize it would include happy drugs...

Everybody, thanks for the support. What could be better than a pocket party with Janis's yummy cake balls, great, supportive friends and everyone on their best behavior and people watching over me? Redheaded...I'd recommend you just hang out at the top of the CT machine, that way you can look over the Doc's shoulder and make sure he does it right! If they give me enough happy drugs, I'll join in on the chatter and laughter.

Gigil....visual migraines be damned....don't let the government win this battle! Get that blasted audit done soon as your health is more important. Not to mention juggling selling a house, buying a house, staging another house and renting a place in Florida are enough to give anyone migraines......You've done really well with all this stress. Soon it just needs to be relaxation time.

Sab...soon I hope to be on my feet enough to be able to follow you around your mountains for a great hike. Thanks for the update on the girls and congrats to the eldest for being clean and sober 6 years. It's a trial. Oh, and the thing about both of you working hard.....it's a great way to save money (lol).....

Joan....I'm not buying the maple-syrup anti-cancer med theory (lol)....probably because maple syrup isn't really my thing. Now, if you find one about chocolate, you just let me know........

Cindy, thinking of you. Hope you've got that puppy in a day care and can take time to fly fish. I visualize you doing that.......

Edwards, I'm with you girl....coffee. Plain, strong and good tasting......I'm a french roast girl. Ok that settles it, you can bring the coffee to go with Janis's cake balls on Wednesday.

Josie, here's to a better work week for you.....

Brookside, you've been a bit quiet. Hope you're not working too hard

Hope I haven't missed anyone.....we haven't had a pocket party in a long time......I'm sort of looking forward to it........

• justmejanis
    edited April 2015

Sew you can count on a wonderful party in your honor.  With your happy meds I am sure you could duck in and party for a few and you wouldn't be terribly missed by the docs.  They will be far too busy working on being extra careful and gentle with your procedure.  Not to mention being very thorough!  Maybe afterward we can all have a margarita.  I don't know why I always defer to margaritas but I love them and haven't had one in years.  Of course everyone can choose their own personal favorite to celebrate your good outcome Sew.  I feel really good that you will receive the best news.  It sounds like there are a lot of coffee drinkers out there and we can toast with coffee too.  Much love and happy thoughts headed your way sweet Lady. 

Gigil I am really sorry you are experiencing those awful headaches.  I agree with Sew, you have had such a busy year with so many changes.  Then the pressure of the audit, ugh!  I know it will go well and soon you can be back in Florida enjoying all that sunshine for awhile.

My sister and I are lucky to go through these rough times with each other.  It would be so nice if we were not 1,100 miles apart.  I have lived all my adult life far from all my family.  It gets harder the older I get.

Sab your life sounds like it is very full and busy.  My first husband traveled a lot and was home so rarely for many many years.  His company transferred us several times in 25 years.  We went from Casper WY to the Denver suburbs where we lived long enough for both of my sons to be born.  Then the company moved HQ to Houston.  A very difficult change after years in the beautiful Rockies.  Then after almost five years back to Wyoming again.  Now with second DH we left WY to move here.  We had to move to a lower elevation for his lungs.  Where we lived in Wyoming the elevation was over 6,000'.  With COPD and allergies and emphysema he would have had to go on oxygen to stay there.  We are at about 3,000' here so better for him.  Too bad we left our hearts in Wyoming.  I think I have moved one too many times unfortunately.

Elizabeth arrives from Boston one week from today.  I can't wait to see her!

Love to all!

• josie123
    edited April 2015

Janis, great!! Enjoy your time with Elizabeth.

BTW I've never lived anywhere but St. Louis MO.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited April 2015

Only have a moment but wanted to say that I am in that pocket with you too Sew! xoxo

Janis, glad to see you!! Was getting a bit worried!! xo

Josie, you have already had your share so hopefully things will get better soon!! xo

Hugs to all of you wonderful and strong ladies!

• MostlySew
    edited April 2015

Thanks April. How's your hubby doing? Better I hope.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited April 2015

Definitely joining the Wednesday pocket party, SEW, and praying for something perfectly eradicable with some wonder drug or other. Long time since we've shared you cakeballs, Janis, and super happy they will be on the menu. If baking soda is in the recipe, you can just add maple syrup and they'll cure all our ills. Also happy to hear from Edwards that the CT lung biopsy is quite dealwithable (new word). Happy outcome absolutely counted upon.

Janis, at least you have your sister to share your sorrows with. Hopefully, the two of you will steer each other through the roughest parts. The one two punch of the new and old meds will hopefully start showing some muscle pretty soon. Is there any way you could spend a few days in Wyoming? It sure sounds as though it is calling, and sometimes answering that call can sooth a lot of angst.

Gigil, those migraines must be the absolute pits. The good news, of course, is that you had them way before, but that doesn't totally put the worry to rest, does it? I guess all of us will worry about every new (or old) symptom. Truth to tell, I always worried about every lump and bump and ache, anyway, so all that seems to have changed is that my worry is more specific.

Hope work is treating you kindly, Josie, and Joan, April, and SAB. Spring sunshine deserves happy offices. And Cindy, of course we are with you. I know I haven't mentioned everyone, but out of time and space. Sending love.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited April 2015

Sew, thanks for asking. Hubby is down almost 50 pounds and now he has discovered he is losing his hair in one round spot in the middle of his head (alopecia the doctor thinks) and although his pneumonia/bronchitis is better, and he is eating a bit better, he is still very very tired. He is going to have another round of tests to look for something auto-immune (what I have no idea!!) and he still has the doctors completely mystified. This is getting very scary for both him and especially for me. He is truly sick with something but no one knows what!!

At work so running away again...just wanted to update everyone. I lost my ex-husband on April 9th and am worried about my present husband big time...nothing is EVER FREAKING EASY these days...sorry for the rant! Feeling overwhelmed to be honest.

Love to all...gotta go!

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited April 2015

April so sorry for what you have gone through and what you are going through now. I hope they find out what is going on with your husband and get him on the road to recovery. Enough already. Sometimes it is harder to be the family member than it is being the patient. Take care of yourself. GiGi

• justmejanis
    edited April 2015

April I sure hope things start looking up for you soon.  I am so sorry about you losing your ex husband.  Funny that I am close to mine too and sure would feel devastated if something happened to him.  I also hope your DH improves.  They must be able to get to the reason  behind all that weight loss.  Big hugs to you during this difficult time.  If you want to talk sometime, PM me for my phone number. 

Sew I just finished baking up a batch of those lemon balls, and they really came out good.  Extra lemony and with that cream cheese frosting they are so delicious.  I will make sure there are plenty left for you.  It sounds like there will be plenty of us on board to cheer you on Sew.  Be well my dear friend!  I will be right along side you for the entire procedure. 

• SAB
    edited April 2015

April, sorry to hear your news. I do hope dh gets to the bottom of his mystery illness.

Janis, do you think that lemon cake balls will go with lemon martinis? Too much citrus? Maybe I will bring Moscow Mules. I just tried that drink for the first time and had to stay sitting down for a while. Of course I'll be nice and cozy in Sew's pocket, so it should be fine.

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2015

Funny about the connection some of us feel toward our ex husbands. This weekend, my seven year-old grandson got curious, asking why Grandpa and I weren't married any more. "Don't you love each other any more?" I realized that, yes, we do, and told him so. Now, of course, I'm worried that he'll be afraid that love is not enough (which, of course, it is not) and that he'll worry about his parents' relationship. Can't win.

Anyway, April, I sure hope they get to the bottom of your current husband's pretty scary set of symptoms.

Thinking of you, SEW, and praying for good news.

Those lemon cakeballs sure sound good, Janis, and, as I have no idea what is in a Moscow mule, I guess I'll slurp up a pitcher of lemon martinis.

Hope work is treating everybody well, especially you, Josie.

• MostlySew
    edited April 2015

I think lemon cake balls, lemon martini's and a big kicking Mule sound just perfect! I'm off to the hospital to get this DONE.... see you all soon..

• MostlySew
    edited April 2015

ok...I'm back and awake! That was sure a great pocket party! Thanks ladies for all the support. It does mean a lot. I loved the lemon cake balls Janis, however Sab, that blasted Moscow Mule seems to have kicked me in the back...a little swollen and sore but will probably be better tomorrow.

They gave me Fentanyl for this, so I felt virtually no pain which is really nice. SillyHeart

This radiologist also seems to feel that what I have is some sort of infection rather than a tumor type issue and that it will take time to heal, and some sort of antibiotics. Good news. They will biopsy the tissue they took and also try to grow cultures to see what happens....so I'm hoping I don't need any more tests....just results. I should know more next week. I also did the oximetry test Monday night and should get those results this week....so I'm done for now.

Thanks again ladies

• josie123
    edited April 2015

Sew, glad all went well. Thanks for keeping us updated.

• Redheaded1
    edited April 2015

Ah Sew, now we just wait for the news about the cultures.....Good news is they will know what Antibiotic to give you instead of one of those darn broad spectrum,bomb the hell out of everything drugs....

tFentenyl is wonderful.  when its in an IV   When the first sprayed it up my nose in the ambulance, then injected it muscularly before they set my wrist---not so good.  The shot was more painful then him setting my wrist, unless it worked that quickly.....HA

• SAB
    edited April 2015

Sew, I'm happy to hear that it is over and behind you! We'll wait with you for results, and I hope all of them are good ones!!!

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2015

Glad it's done, Sew, and very happy the fentanyl came to the party too. Hoping those cultures give quick and easy answers and that you'll be your old self in a week or two.

Yikes, Red. Setting a bone can't be fun, but I'm happy hear it wasn't as bad as the shot. How the heck is that wrist anyway?

I've been on an eating binge for the past week. Five pounds. Ugh. Hoping today is the turnaround day.