Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2015

April - Yippee! What great news...home, active, eating, what joy! Yes, answered prayer:))).

Josie - a good day at work! Here's to a good day today...may your work be appreciated...always!

Happy Tuesday

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2015

Hi there. I have read all of the past posts and I think I am caught up. The one theme that is running through this reading Bunkie's posts, and Sew's, - our health care system does not have that one crucial person who ties our care together and makes sure it is coordinated. My DH is an MD and although he does ER work, he is also trained in Integrative Medicine and Acupuncture. He has seen a need for that doctor who will be the one to tie all of the loose ends together and also to cover the alternative therapies that help sometimes more than the medications prescribed. We are just trying to decide whether one of his semi-retirement efforts should be to open a small clinic where he can be that guy for his group of patients. Along those same lines, I would certify in Health Care coaching, so I an assist. Just some things we are thinking about

April, I have been following your DH's progress and praying for him. I am so glad to hear he is doing much better. I assume in checking all of the other things, they also checked him for pernicious anemia, right? My father had that, and until he started getting his B12 shots, his symptoms sounded so similar to your husband's. I know you have to be sleeping better at night these days. Are you doing okay? You have really had a run of it.

Bunkie, I can't believe the ordeal you have had lately as well. You just can't catch a break girl. I am glad you had lots of things checked out though. That gives a little comfort, although you are dealing with the sore knee and the dizzy and now the shaking. UGH!! I use the Antivert/Meclazine whenever I need it.

SEW, glad you are healing and feeling more spunky. You have had enough lately too!! You need a good summer with fewer medical issues for you and family members. And yet even when you are in the hospital getting tests done, you are praying for others. You are such a strong lady.

Josie, when you took your MA training, did you learn coding and transcription? I know there are a lot of places that have gone to electronic medical records, but is there still a segment that need transcription done? A lot of that can be done online. I know people who have made a good living doing that. Also the coding...there is still such a need for that. In the ER where my husband works, the coding is still such a big issue and a good coder is worth their weight in gold, to use an old phrase. Coding is a way to work in your own world without too much interaction with mean girls. You can even work for a company that just does coding on an electronic format for many clinics. We used to have MA's in our clinic and they were such valuable additions to our staff. I also served on the board of directors for the MA program at the local college. Any chance of finding a job like that, where you are pretty much on your own?

Brookside, I am still working on the sorting clothes and organizing. Some day I will feel caught up How are you doing with all of it?

Joan, although your class is cancelled, I am kind of glad for you that you have some time off. Some time with your son and his fiancee will be good for you.

Janis, your love and support for everyone is always so comforting. You are such a caring person. Has your neighborhood settled down?

Edwards glad to hear you had a good mammo.

Cindy, so glad to hear from you. I love reading your posts. You have such a good memory for everything that is going on.

Hello to everyone else, and to the new members of the board. It sounds like you are being given such good advice. I don't have much to add to what has been said. You will find all the support and advice you need here. Welcome.

I am running back and forth spending time with the kids and grandkids lately. We went to my grandson Alex's kindergarten graduation yesterday. He was very happy to spot us in the crowd. Alex is a real character, and his face tells the whole story. He is a little blondie with big blue eyes. He was born premature and has had some growth problems. He takes a growth hormone shot every day and will continue to do so until he is an adult. He never complains or lets it slow him down. He might be a little guy but he has a great bit personality. He is just adorable. Each kindergartener had to say what they wanted to do when they grew up. Alex said he wanted to be a doctor, which made his grandpa beam from ear to ear. Oh those sweet innocent little people. The pic is him when he was a couple of years younger. They make the world go 'round, right April? Your little granddaughter is adorable! Love those ponytails.

Well, this has gotten long. I will have to pop in more often!! Love, GiGi

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2015

April, that's great that he is eating you out of house and home!!And chores too? I can't even get my DH to do chores.

Brookside,Redheaded,April ..Yes it was nice to be acknowledged. Although I was on the phone when she acknowledged me so my co workers had to fill me in.

Gigil, no formal training in coding but had a little bit in school. And with the ICD10

It's going to get a whole lot more complicated. We have 1 gal in our dept that's in charge of coding along with precerts,pre auth, and surgery scheduling. She's a busy lady who gets paid more than me or so she says.

• josie123
    edited June 2015

Big time headache/migraine today at work along with nausea . I really thought I was going to be sick.It seems to have disappeared since getting home. Weird huh? They are doing construction in the room next to us. Maybe something they were using?No fumes or anything. No one else got sick but DD had tummy bug past couple days so maybe it's that.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2015

April, whew, so happy for you!

Gigi that picture is precious, he looks like a 1940s suave gentleman...just needs a pipe (not.) Anyway he's too cute!

Josie, lots of ups and downs it sounds like. I hope there are more ups!

Bunkie I hope you are feeling better. It's been a rough few months.

Sew, you are feeling better I think, and very happy to hear it.

Hi Janis, Brookside, Red, Charger, Joan, Cindy, Edwards, and whoever I forgot (sorry) a big hug to all!

New guys, welcome. You already got the good advice so I will just wish you all well.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited June 2015

I am changing my avatar for the month of June in tribute to our fallen Princess Warrior Kate.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited June 2015

Love it! What a perfect representation of our Kate. She is smiling from above reading this, I promise you that.

Gigil, your grandson is adorable!!!!! I know that hubby was checked for pernicious anemia pretty early on and his B-12 was always fine but any ideas anyone has, keep em coming cause we are still  unsure how all of this started in the first place!

Hubby still doing well although he did seem a bit more tired yesterday after his insanity on Monday..lol. I told him to REST a bit when I am at work and to just get well, not go nuts and do everything all at once.

Am at work as usual so have to run but wanted to say  hello and say hi to Sab who pops in here and there like me..LOL

Big D, thinking of you lady. Hope you are doing well.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2015

April I am thrilled to hear hubby is home, eating and feeling so energetic.  I think his body was quietly reminding him that right now he has to set limits.  I can imagine how wonderful it is though to feel good after such a long illness.  Hopefully he will pace himself a little better now.

Gigil your grandson is absolutely adorable.  His big blue eyes are gorgeous.  I can already see the girls lining up.  Hehehehehe.  I think your possible retirement plan sounds great.  It would be amazing to have one doctor who could fill so many needs.  I am sure it is something you will be talking a lot about in the future.  It was great to hear from you, and I hope you can find some quiet time among the chaos.  Hugs Sweetie.

Josie I hope you have many more good days ahead at work.  It is so important.  The gal that does coding should not be discussing salary with you, or any of her co-workers.  That is a huge no no.  It can cause so much discourse in the workplace.  If her bosses find out she should be written up and given a very stern warning not to do it again. 

70charger I think that is a very sweet tribute to Kate.  I know she would love it.

Love, hugs, and better health to all.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited June 2015

Love that dress! Kate loved clothes and had such good taste.

Precious baby Gigi and those eyes! We are about to have our 10th grandchild in October and yep another boy. Thats 6 boys -

Josie - feel better girl.

All the engagement parties, retirement dinners, graduation parties and my Notre Dame annual dinner done for now. Fun but tiring and have to recycle my dresses. Wish we could hit the beach.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2015

Diane, the princess warrior coat is absolutely perfect. How Kate/Joyce would have loved it! I've been thinking of her too.

I'm heading down to CTon the 23rd to welcome a new grandbaby, and will also, hopefully, wend my way down to Long Island to see son #1. Would be very happy to meet anyone who happens to be somewhere along I-91.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2015

Hi Everyone,

Thought I should report in. I've been on prednisone 11days now and I'm finally starting to feel a bit better. I managed a slow walk with my walking buddy this morning..went about 1/2 mile or so, but it felt so good to be able to do it at all. I'm not even dead tired this afternoon. So, I hope I've turned the corner on this thing. I don't have any major side effects yet either so that's also a good thing. I'm not sure of the "normal" course this fairly rare lung infection takes but I'm hoping for smooth sailing and no relapses and to be off this drug in 6 months but also to have some semblance of my life back much sooner than that. I am beginning to feel well enough to to get some quilting and more complicated knitting done so that's a great improvement in this enforced inactivity.

Thank's everyone for the shout outs and Cindy, Sab and Gigil it's great to hear from you. Charger, I love the princess dress avatar for Kate and Big D here's hoping you're managing to deal with the very hard health hand you've been dealt. Hugs to all.....

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2015

Love that avatar for Kate. The princess warrior coat would be just her style. SAB I had the same thought about the pic. He is a real charmer. Janis, Alex told me that his girlfriend broke up with him last week, and now he doesn't think he will ever find anyone to marry and have kids with. What a little character. As for the retirement plans, we are thinking more and more about it. My husband had a visit with the cardiologist today. He has to have an ablation procedure in September, to hopefully deal with his atrial fibrillation. He has been having that off and on for 12 years. April, glad your hubby is still doing well. Yes indeed, he needs to pace himself some. Glad it isn't pernicious anemia. My dad's eventually developed into myelodysplastic syndrome, which was not good. Josie, hope,you recover quickly. That is a tough go. Rainy, chilly day here. SEW so glad to hear about your building strength! Yay for that.

• josie123
    edited June 2015

Fran, great tribute to Kate/Joyce. She would love it.Thanks for remembering her.

April, glad to hear DH is still doing well but may need to pace himself.

Sew, so happy your feeling better. 1/2 mile that's great!!! Thanks for sharing your progress.

Brookside,enjoy your new Grandbaby.

Diane and Gigil, thanks I'm feeling much better. Went home from work and my headache and nausea went away.

Janis, yes your right the lady at work shouldn't tell me or anyone she makes more than someone else. She didn't tell me how much.

Gigil, hope all goes well with your DH and his ablation.They do these quite frequently I'm sure it is a good procedure. Glad he's taking care of himself..

Finally got my appointment with my new PCP today.Can't believe it took me 5 months to see someone at my work. He's seems very good though and likes to talk but listens too. I had most of my records transferred but he of course felt a little overwhelmed when I handed him my oncologist records and pathology reports. But he promised to take his time reading them later after my visit. He wants me to go up on my Lexapro to 10 mg. I promised I'd try.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2015

70charger - That coat is perfect. She loved that color too. I have to say I miss her posting. She was fun and a real fighter.

Gigil - He is adorable!!! Those eyes. You have been busy. Mezline makes me very sleepy but I take it whenI get real bad. I would love my body to get used to it so I could take a little everyday. Valium too. They both knock me out.

Sew - I am so glad you are doing well on the steroids. They really do calm down the crazy stuff and as long as you are on the for a shorter time (under 2 years) you will do fine. They do give you more energy. On the higher doses I could clean the intire house

Josie, SAB, Edwards, Brookside, Janis - quick shout out.

They came and fitted me for this big bulky brace yesterday. Tried it today. It hurts almost as much as the knee but it will help keep it straight and in place when I go to the store etc. I have a vertigo PT appt tomorrow to see why it took a turn for the worst and then I will start PT for the knee. Fallin apart here ladies. Gettin old is no fun.

To all the new ladies a shout out. I remember when I was new. This group has been such a blessing.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2015

Josie I hope you can make the upgrade on the Lexapro.  I think it is helping me, I am having a lot more good days than dark ones.  It feels so good.

Sew I am so glad to hear your energy is finally drifting back.  Albeit slowly, but it sure is a great sign.  I know your will and determination will keep you going and much better days are ahead of you. Hopefully before too long you will hit that mile mark.  In the meantime I can imagine some of the beautiful work you will be doing.  I know what a talented lady you are.

Gigil your little Alex not only looks like an angel, but sounds like one too.  What a young age to experience his first  'heartbreak'.  LOL too funny.  Hopefully he realizes he has a few good years ahead of him before he needs to choose his bride.  He sounds very sophisticated for his age.  I hope your DH's procedure is a breeze come September.  Hopefully it will permanently clear up his current condition.  I admire you so for your dedication to your family.  I hope you can post more often.  It is always good to hear from you.

This is weird..  Today I found out from my PCP that I have Osteopenia.  Mind you my MO ordered my Dexa scan in late April.  A week or so later his nurse called, said I had some minor bone loss from my previous scan, and to start taking calcium.  That was it.  Then last Friday my PCP's office called saying my doc had received a copy of my scan and he wanted to see me to discuss treatment.  So today I found out from him that I have osteopenia.  He gave me a copy of the report and it clearly states I have osteopenia in my right femoral neck (hip).  It also states  'The bone density of the lumbar spine and left femoral neck are at the lower limits of normal'.  Really?  Now shouldn't my MO have at least mentioned this?  After a long talk my PCP recommended I start taking Fosamax, so I got the RX filled today.  I am to take it once a week and haven't decided what day to start.  All this is very curious to me!

Love to all!

• josie123
    edited June 2015

Janis, Yes I'm feeling better on lexapro and will increase my dose to 10mg on Saturday. Wish me luck. My new PCP encouraged me to do this.

Osteopenia is common in women it usually starts in menopause. What was your worst T-Score if you don't mind me asking?

We usually didn't put people on meds until there T score was -2.5 but each Dr has there own protocol.

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

Janis - I had osteopenia that turned into osteoporosis. When I was first DX with it I was on Arimidex which of course robs your bones of calcium so my ONC switched me to Tamoxifen. It has made a world of difference. My next scan is in July. Hopefully the numbers are still good.

Diane

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701
    edited June 2015

Justmejanis..my recommendation to you would be to through out the Fosomax. There are more law suits going on because of that stuff than we even know. I did a lot of research on it after I got terribly sick on it. You can get bad jaw problems and stomach problems....google it. Bad stuff!

Art see

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

Sure can artsee. I have had dental problems in the past so I refused to take it. Pharmacist got kindof ugly about it. Who cares what he thinks?

Diane

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited June 2015

We all react differently. Osteopenia is bone loss and Osteoporosis is sthe next stage as we worsen. At the 2013 Breast Symposium, a recommendation was that all women on AI's be on some type of bone boosting drug.  My MO says our worst bone loss occurs in the two years following menopause, and so he thinks that because that has occurred and things slowed, that the AI won't likely impact it, but we will follow it every 2 years and if it worsens, deal with it, otherwise, take your calcium supplement, eat healthy and exercise.

I wanted Tamoxifen because I worry about my bones, but he said, no, I don't want the stroke/heart/bloodclot risk.  So I am following orders.  But if someone would offere me Fosomax to try, I would certainly do it. 

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2015

I'm taking the bisphosphonate because I am not only on arimidex, but also on a proton pump inhibitor (for gastric reflux) and the two together have rapidly brought me pretty durned close to osteoporosis. I did check with my dentist before starting and learned that the horrid jaw issues mostly happened before that particular side effect became widely known. Nowadays, the dentist who knows you are on the drug can take precautions to prevent problems, for instance suturing the cavity after an extraction, rather than leaving it open.

I'm not having any gastric issues, but, as directed, I flood my stomach with water when I take the pill, and my bones are not porous enough for me to fear drug-related brittleness. The recent study that indicates that these meds might discourage aging bones from providing hospitality to potential bone mets is also a pretty positive indicator for me.

No, it's not a drug to be taken lightly, but one (like most) that needs to be carefully prescribed, and carefully considered, with the individual's complete health history in mind.

• MostlySew
    edited June 2015

As long as we're sharing osteo stories.....I was osteopenia for years, stable, and didn't need treatment as I was walking etc. and it didn't change. then add BC and arimidex, and whomp, immediately to full blown osteoporosis (within about 2 months of starting arimidex0. I had 2 treatments with Prolia (1 every 6 months) and ended up allergic to it. It did help with my osteoporosis issue immensely though, and I ended up without even a sign of osteopenia after the treatments. By then though, I was religiously taking 1200 mg Citrical daily along with 5 prunes. Ruth Bru a long time member on this board swears by the properties of dried prunes....great magnesium, helps absorb calcium etc. Anyway, another year goes by, I get GERD and start taking a PPI drug (which as Brookside relates, eats your bones) end up with severe diarrhea from the drug and can no longer eat prunes. At the end of that year (which is now January 2015) I'm back with osteoporosis so we try a zometa infusion. I think that might have been going to be enough, but now having to take both a steroid and a BP medicine which both eat bones too, and a recurrence of the GERD I've got a feeling I"m doomed! All 3 of these drugs will cause diarhea side effects (which I'm prone to) but I'm determined to fit prunes in this diet somewhere. So....I'm taking at least 1 probiotic daily (usually Culturele which is also the favorite of Gigil if I'm not mistaken) and I'm hoping with upping my calcium intake and adding the prunes I will hopefully hold my own as far as bones and side effects go. So far so good but it's only been 12 days. My blood tests in the hospital showed my calcium level as being low, so I'm back to 1200 mg daily, plus 2 cups of non-fat milk (in my latte's). That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Janis, I'd recommend you go with what's comfortable for you. I'm not surprised you weren't given something for osteopenia earlier, and I'm not surprised that they're recommending it now. You, like I, have been on this drug over 3 years and I think it's beginning to take it's greatest toll as far as bone health. so, sounds like taking the drug now is a preventative measure. I'm having infusions since I ended up with full osteoporosis and my cancer Dr. likes their results best. but he can't prescribe it if you only have osteopenia.

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

Redhead - I worried about the blood clot issue too since I had one in my leg at 16 but my ONC said that was a long time ago and I had had 2 babies since then. I was taking a calcium supplement when I was on Arimidex but it was 100 a month so when I complained to my ONC she decided to switch me to Tamoxifen. Not sure what I'll do when I go off it in a year.

Diane

• MostlySew
    edited June 2015

Diane,

I don't know about you, but when I'm off the drug in a year, I'm going to cross my fingers, do a little jig, say a big prayer and live my life cancer free.......

Nerdy

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited June 2015

I think when I am off it I will run naked in the streets screaming, I am AI FREE!!!!

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

Sew - I will def celebrate and Redhead your plan would probably scare my neighbors in more ways than one! Seriously I have mixed emotions about it. To me it is another kind of insurance policy. My ONC said no need to take it 10 years so at least that's encouraging.

Diane

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701
    edited June 2015

After all the problems I had with three of the Osteo drugs I decided to have a Reclast infusion last year when I got on Medicare. It bypassed the stomach to I thought it would be ok. I had my second one three weeks ago, and had no stomach pains, but I'm sure it is not a drug without s/e as well. Can't put my finger on it but I don't feel as good as I used to......but then maybe it's age. Who knows anymore.

art seek

• MostlySew
    edited June 2015

Diane, I agree, the AI feels like insurance to me too....and in lots of ways I'll be sorry to remove it from my arsenal....

Art Seek, sure hope you're feeling tip top again soon

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2015

janis - I have osteopena also. In my hip and neck area. I was osteopena in my spine but now it is osteoporous. I tried fosemax  and another one back in 03 when they put me on high dose steroids along with 50,000 units of vit d. Made me sick as a dog. That was before we found out that vit d sets off my Sarcoidosis. The fosemax made me not be able to swallow or keep food down. They are talking to me now about reclast and other drugs that you take once a year or something like that. Only issue I have is my horrible reaction to ANY drug it seems. The smaller the dose the better for me to try and wait for a reaction. I can just see me now with a shot of reclast I react to and then I am stuck with it for a year. Something to think about.

Artsee - Are you getting any good info back after the year of trying the drug? Do your bones feel stronger?

Sew - The Cenestin I was on for 19 years did a great job of helping with the bones. Too bad they stopped making it. I can feel the difference in 6 weeks of being off. I know it is probably not the only cause but my knees both started cracking after I stiopped HRT and now I am needing a brace etc. Just seems strange. What was your reaction to prolia and how did they stop the reaction?

Well the PT flipped me with an epply treatment for the intense vertigo and it did stop the spinning in circles. She said I did have ear crystals that moved in addition to possible menieres.  I am still dizzy however and go back to her next week to see if I need another treatment. Then I am off to the U of Mi to be tested in the vestibular torture chamber once again looking for a reason I am so dizzy everyday. My favoite is the water in the ears and you have to think of staes names that start with a A or D etc. That and twirling in a chair with goggles on that flash lights are at the top of my list for entertainment. They have checked my eyes by a neuro-optomogist at the Univ so we know it is not that and my brain MRI last fall was good so it has to be the inner ear.

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

Bunkie - dang girl you can't get a break. I hope all the torture you have to endure is worth it and you can finally feel better. Some of you ladies go through so much I feel like a real whinny baby.

Okay heads up on something DH and I are dealing with namely the IRS breach. Unfortunately, we are part of the chosen whose info got hacked. Ugh. The only good thing, and hard to believe it is good, is we weren't getting a refund so they didn't get access to our bank information. That would have been a bigger nightmare than it already is. Someone has already set up another PayPal account in DH's name with a different email address. PayPal didn't check with us and someone ran up a 200 bill. Can't understand why they didn't and why they didn't think it was odd we opened up a second one. Bet this has happened b4. No identifying PWs or PN nos. They better change that and require some other ID. Not responsible but still stressful.

So monitor your accounts if you don't already. IRS is giving us a PN and there is a fraud alert on all 3 credit reporting agencies. Plus we have Lifelock and a PW on our bank accounts if we call in.

I know people who have had their identities stolen and it took years to unravel everything. One guy my DH knows finally had to hire a lawyer.

Scary business but sadly the world we live in.

Diane