Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2015

Runningsoccermom (love the name—I can just see you charging about!), I tried weights multiple times and just do not like them. I know that means I have not approached them properly, but, despite my good intentions, always seem to quickly erase my supposed schedule from my memory bank. I have some PT exercises designed to build strength, and those I do. I've even been doing a couple of reps with one of those stretchy bands for a couple of years. Yes, I'm convinced that weights are the absolute best for maintaining strong bones. Maybe my next DEXA scan will reawaken my interest. I'm proud of you for sticking with it.

Hoping the dinner with the cousins puts a little light in your life, Red. Their sense of timing might, er, stink, but maybe they can give you a little lift. Maybe even a little help?

Bunkie, hope your vertigo is calming down. Miserable stuff, that vertigo!

Greetings, Reader. Hoping your migraines take a hike.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2015

Brookside, thanks for the comments. I'm trying to make my notes a little better so I don't need to ask and keep a mental note to not ask that particular co worker. She was one of the ones responsible for training me.After a while I just wouldn't ask her anymore because she just wouldn't answer me sometimes. Meaning I would just ask someone else or just not ask at all. What kind of training is that? Not to good And then my notes that I had taken and had on a notepad/clipboard wasn't good enough for her and she asked me to transfer everything to 1 binder. Well I feel like some of the notes I did have got lost in the shuffle. I never asked for her help in helping to organize me she just took it upon herself.The Des seem patient enough with me if I get something wrong. Usually it's only when I question myself that is when it happens.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited June 2015

Thanks you guys and yes Brookside I am the alpha dog! I tested the horn and let me assure you it works! Geez hope I don't have to use it much.

Josie - sorry about your issues at work - or rather your co-worker. That's really low giving you wrong answers. Is she paranoid or what? I know it has to be frustrating for you. You are doing your best. I hope you don't have to depend on her too much. Sounds like sabotage. I had one of those types at FedEx. She was a piece of work. Finally had a showdown with her. Ended in a draw but she was better. I think she liked to bully me. Big mistake.

Diane

• josie123
    edited June 2015

Thanks Diane.

And good I'm glad you established the alpha dog.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 926
    edited June 2015

Thanks Brookside, my migraine went and hopefully will stay gone! Weather shifts are a trigger sometimes but they're much better than they used to be.

• josie123
    edited June 2015

Reader, I've been known to get migraines from weather shifts glad your better

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 926
    edited June 2015

Thanks Josie! Hope yours stay gone too Smile

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

Happy Father's Day to our family members who are dads. Tough job just like ours. My father is no longer living. I miss him. My DH's is still living and will be 91 next month and doing really well esp for his age. He is going with DH sibs and grandkids to the annual family reunion in Henrietta, Texas next week.

DH, youngest son and I are going to dinner tonight. Last night DH and I we went to see Jurassic World. Really enjoyed the movie. Special effects were great.

Our new couch was delivered yesterday. It's hands off for the pups. Can't afford to keep replacing stuff.

Reader - never had migranes but used to have a friend who suffered with them terribly. Hope you r feeling better.

After Mass getting DH Starbucks. Loves that coffee and so do I.

Brutally hot here and worse next week. Nephew is still wearing sweaters in Chicago! In June! Can't imagine.

Diane

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2015

This Father's Day is sad for me.  My dad has dementia and his 'caregiver' married him on Feb. 14th.  She is 20 years younger.  As soon as the ink was dry on the certificate we received a letter from his atty. cutting my sister and I out of the will, leaving everything to her.  She will not allow us to speak with him.  We have tried and tried.  My sister and I each sent him a card.  This morning we got an unpleasant e-mail from her saying they were coming back to us.  She told us to leave him alone, that he wants nothing to do with us.  We don't believe this but APS investigated her and she 'passed'.  I don't want to say more, needless to say this is yet another heartbreak for us.  Neither of us have talked to him since February.  It is so wrong. 

Embrace those you cherish my friends.  We never know what can happen.

Diane where are you that it is so hot?  We live near Boise and it is hot here as well.  We have mostly been in the 90's but the weather peeps are promising triple digits this coming week.  I am not ready for that, but it is summer officially now!

Reader I am happy that migraine lifted and hope it stays away.  They can be so miserable.

Josie I am hoping work gets better and you find some of the stressful situations to be fewer and far between.  You sure deserve a break.

Joan.......as always, thinking of you.  I know you will fill us in later when you aren't so busy.

Sew, I hope each day you regain strength, as I know you will.  I know for a busy active person to be idle is difficult.  I also suspect your knitting needles are clicking away.

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2015

With the caveat that I am not a lawyer, Janis, I'm pretty certain that iIf your dad has been diagnosed with dementia, he is/was not competent to change his will, or to complete any other contractural action, so his recent change is void. If he has dementia, he probably is not competent to determine who he wants to see or not see. If the caretaker is present to help him navigate activities affected by his dementia, that can only work in your favor. How did APS get involved? Did you contact them directly, or another agency? I am on the board of the agency that does the initial assessment in my county, and who contacts APS when there is an issue that needs their attention (if that agency has not already received the complaint). They are supervised by another agency, which has quite a mediocre history with pursuing complaints, and we have had to get involved on a pretty significant level to improve their response. In other words, you do have more resources with more local agencies. What was APS looking for? Were they looking for appropriate physical/health care, or for financial abuse?

Methinks you and your sister need a nice chat with his doctor, with all the elder care agencies in his area (town, county, state), maybe his elected officials, and (sorry) with an elder care attorney.

Sending prayers.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2015

Brookside....I'm so glad you're willing to share your knowledge and wisdom with us on this board. It's always helpful to have a "non-vested" opinion...

Janis, maybe this can give you hope with your Dad. I know it's been a long tough road with this "caregiver", but it does seem that you and your sister should have some sort of recourse to help him, even from long distance like you are. Perhaps it bears thinking about.....but take extra ativan or whatever you need before doing it because we don't need you in a funk....or at least not more of a one than this has already caused. I understand elder issues and know they can be really heart breaking. While I do not have the same issues with my Mom (yet) the challenges of managing her life become more stressful as time goes on. But in this case, it's primarily that my sister and I don't really agree on what's necessary. And we no longer have a "tie breaker"...i,e, my brother so we muddle along, trying to disagree respectfully. Hmmm.....and I'm supposed to avoid stress if at all possible because of this high dose of steroid........

And, yes, my dear Pal, my knitting needles are definitely clicking madly....working on a Fair Isle pattern which keeps my mind too busy to worry about other things!

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2015

Janis, I definitely think you should contact an elder care lawyer about this immediately. Something just does not smell right here. That woman is taking over your father's life and assets and pushing his blood relatives away. There has to be some recourse for this. I do have a law degree, and I know this is just not right. If you told this story to a good attorney, they could file documents on your behalf to get this thing straightened out before this woman takes everything and hits the road. These things go on all of the time. Please, keep us posted.

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

Janis - so sorry. That's so outrageous. You got some great advice from Brookside and Gigil. I wouldn't take it sitting down either. My DH's X and sibs are going through something similar but with one of their own siblings. They are beyond upset too. One of my own brothers managed to convince my mother he was the only real caregiver and was the one who got pretty much everything in the will. Shameful. My heart breaks for you and your sister. Bad enough that your dad is suffering from dementia and now this with his "wife." How low can people sink for money? Rhetorical question.

I live in Collierville, Tennessee - a township outside Memphis and btw voted best small town in the country! The humidity is off the chart.

Diane

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2015

Janis - concur...see an elder care attorney...just not right

Sew - click click knitting needles are flying:)

Diane - congrats on BST! Grr the humidity:(

Josie&Reader - no more migraines

Pup at boarders, waiting on shuttle to ABIA, off to Ca and 111 heat in desert ugh😳, but happy to celebrate bday with family&friends. Keep fingers&toes crossed early am mammo Tuesday then off to spend time with family. Results Thursday and early flight back to TX Friday...pup should be tired so maybe we both can sleep Saturday. Not sure how MO will react to not coming back in Juky for Zometa...need all appointments to line up and not a month gap for infusion. Have a great week everyone!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    edited June 2015

Janis, so sorry your having to deal with this. Take the excellent advice given by Brookside and Gigil. And remember most attorneys have a deal where you don't have to pay up front if that helps.Good luck and keep us posted.

Diane, I have to admit I am impressed your Father in law does so well at his age. And your DH had a great day I hope.Almost felt jealous You were able to enjoy him so much on Fathers day. My DH worked all day and although had very few phone calls and no actual calls to run couldn't spend the day with me Because my SIL had fathers day at her house for my dad and it was to far out of the area for him to bring the tow truck. But got to see him at my MIL house for a meal . He just brought the new driver with him to dinner.It was nice and my DD insisted on buying him a new hammer for Fathers day.Then right as we were done with dinner orchestrated getting calls to run.

He could come home after 8pm but didn't make it till like 9:30 because they got busy.

I came down with the stomach flu last night . And after eating at both get togethers it was not pretty at all. Both ends. Sorry I know TMI. But feeling a . Bit better this morning. Didn't go to work obviously.Poor DH had to get up with me when I almost passed out on the toilet.I felt like I was dying. Oh well enough about me. Sorry.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited June 2015

((((Janis)))) I agree about the Elder Care attorney. DO IT! She doesn't have the right to cut you out of his life like that when he doesn't get it at all.

Well ladies, my "lucky streak" continues. This morning at 5:45 am the phone rang and when caller I D showed the nursing home number for my dad, I knew it was not good. He was in great spirits yesterday and even went to the ice cream social and ate ice cream but today, he spiked a temp over 106!!! He passed away with all of us there this afternoon. I am so sad cause I am a Daddy's girl. Anyway, will be busy with arrangements for the next few days so wanted to let you know.

• shuf
    shuf Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2015

april, I am so sorry. Will keep you in my prayers. Lost my dad last april! Shuf

• josie123
    edited June 2015

April, I'm so sorry about your Dad.I will be praying for you and your family during these difficult times. What a blessing though that you got to spend one last fathers day with him.

(((hugs)))

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited June 2015

BIG HUGGERS April!

I finished doing the kitchen cabinets. Been a long couple of months. Time to rest. Can
     maybe have my life back.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited June 2015

Big Hug April, but wasn't it wonderful that his last day of life was full of fun!  You are in my prayers and my heart.

• movingsoccermom
    movingsoccermom Member Posts: 164
    edited June 2015

My sympathies April. Always hard to lose a beloved parent.

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2015

So very sorry, April. It is truly a blessing, for you and for your Dad, that he had a good day, and that all of you were able to be with him, so that he was surrounded with loved ones in his last moments. Sending hugs, peace, and prayers.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2015

April, I'm so sorry to hear of your dad's passing. You will miss him. I'm glad that all of you were able to be there with him at the end as that would have been a comfort. Sending supportive hugs....

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

So sorry April. I too am glad he had a good last day. Losing a parent at any age is so hard.

Ugh stomach flu Josie. Hope you are feeling lots better. Take it easy.

Cindy - Happy Birthday- Hope your mammo is okay. I Don't think we will ever get over the anxiety of having them ever again.

Diane

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2015

April, no!  I am deeply saddened to learn about your father's passing. I can't tell you how sorry I am to learn your sad news.  I know how special he was to you.  He left this world surrounded by those he loved the most.  I know how important that was for him, April.  Please feel free to share stories about him in the weeks and months ahead, it is a wonderful tribute to him and healing for you as well.  Big hugs Sweetie, sending an abundance of healing love your way.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2015

Hi all,
    I just read back all but the last 2 pages and wrote a medium-length post.  One little shift-key pushed and it all disappeared.  I used to be able to recover using "contrl Z" but as most of you have shared nothing works when a post disappears.  I guess the best way is to type it in a word document then copy and paste.
    All that said, I am happy for the good news and am sending positive thoughts and prayers for those facing challenges.  (oh heck, we are always facing challenges!)
    Busy week ahead for me with some workers coming for 3 days then guests.
    But reading your posts makes me want to stay connected...
    More soon....
    Joan

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2015

I can't believe that there are no posts since I posted on Tuesday.
    Wishing a good day tomorrow for everyone.

• josie123
    edited June 2015

Joan, sorry I Just got back to work yesterday so haven't been on lately. I thought you were done working for summer. Or is there summer courses?

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2015

Popped on at work to see how everyone is doing.

April, so sorry for your loss. What a dear daughter you have been.

Janis, I hope you are able to follow some advise on this thread and get help. It's too heartbreaking!

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

Joan - I wish we would hear from our sisters who haven't posted n a bit. We are all busy and on overload with our jobs, families and everyday stress so getting a few minutes to "talk" is tough sometimes but I know we all miss hearing that they are k.

Well my baby canines are doing better. Bought some buffalo bones for them from Three Dog Bakery. Not cheap but def last awhile. Hope so need a break from their destruction. They will be 1 n a few weeks. Daddy is 5. My neighbor saw our ripped up couch on the street and said we should give them away. OMG that will never happen no matter what.

Staying busy with exercise and never ending home remodeling and wishing I was on a beach somewhere. Friend just came back from Clearwater and said she had trouble breathing because of the heat.

Youngest DS is having major drama with his X GFF. She is desperate and that worries me. He's not a child but can be so naive. One of his friends became a father a few years ago. Totally unplanned. He ended up marrying her. This girl wants to marry my son bigtime. He's not interested in getting married much less to her. She already has 2 kids. Stay tuned. Didn't like her from the getgo.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Diane