Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2015

Diane, thank you for the heads up! I hope this doesn't cause you problems.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited June 2015

Thanks SAB - we are praying it doesn't get any worse.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

Okay you guys need more prayers. This time for a lady in my BC group at church. She is 7 years out. Had Stage 1 BC, lumpectomy and taking Evista. Aggressive tumor thus taking meds after 5 years.

Had a mammo appt yesterday. Told a friend she had a bad feeling about it. We all know about those gut feelings. Anyway the radiologist, who is also a member of our group, told her there was a substantial difference in her mammo from last year. Obviously not good. She is having a biopsy today- as we speak. Results in 24 hours.

Could be scar tissue; my SIL had that, so def not positive it's a return of the beast. Needless to say she is extremely upset as are we her friends.

I believe in prayer and in this case, divine intervention. She said she will do a MX if it is back. I would too. Please pray for her.

Thanks.

Diane

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2015

I'll put her on my list Diane, this is something we all fear

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited June 2015

me too Diane---is it the same breast?  or the other one?

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

Thanks guys. Same breast. Should know tomorrow. I can't imagine how she is handling the waiting game.

Diane

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited June 2015

Done did Diane!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2015

Prayers to her. Every little bit helps.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2015

Prayers for your friend Diane.

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

Thank you Redhead, Bunkie and Josie. She is such a sweet lady. The Drs are saying even if its cancer it would have been far worse if it had come back right after treatment instead of 7 years later. Small consolation. Will let you guys know.

Diane

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited June 2015

Add me to the list of those praying for your friend Diane!

Good morning ladies! Am at work so another quick drive by post. Hubby continues to do pretty well although he is having a strange pain in his side. He has two dr appts. tomorrow so he will let them know. One is with the surgeon and one with his PCP.

Work is insane as it is the end of our fiscal year and we have a LOT going on so no real time to post. I have an appointment with my MO next week and also my 2nd bone density test since starting the AI so will see how that goes. All this talk about osteopenia/osteoporosis has me worried. My grandmother had osteoporosis pretty bad but Mom escaped. My father's sister/my aunt also had it! Yikes!! Between the AI and the way my legs feel, not sure the news will be pretty. My hip really hurts lately too. Ugh!

Ok, running as usual. Please know am thinking of all of you and Bunkie, really praying that YOU get some relief after all you have been through!!

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

Thank you April. I'm so glad hubby is doing better. My mother didn't have osteoporosis either but she warned me to include more calcium in my diet. She was right on and I didn't listen so I paid the price. I know several people who have it including my MIL. Horrible hump on her back. Working hard not to let that happen to me. Dr said it would be hard to come back from it.

You are such a busy lady. Thanks for checking in.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

Just heard from a mutual friend our friend does not have cancer! Don't know the details of what it is yet but is def not cancer. Thank God. Thank you for all your prayers. They were answered.

Diane

• josie123
    edited June 2015

Diane, what great news I'm so happy for her!!

• Redheaded1
    edited June 2015

What a relief-----I was concerned, as my MO had told me it would be unusual for my cancer to come back in the same breast, and more likely if it returned, it would be in the other one or elsewhere in the body.

Today has been a lousy day.  I don't know what is wrong with me, but I feel like something has let the energy run right out of my body.  Went to PT this a.m. and therapist said he thought I seemed "discouraged".  I just didn't feel good.  I told him  I just wishe I could go to sleep and stay asleep until morning.  So I came home and kept feeling tired, so I tried to lay down and take a nap and couldn't, so I took a pain pill and went to bed and still couldn't sleep.  So I thought I will take a hot shower and go to bed at like 5:30.  wondered if it was migraine coming on.  So I called my dad to remind him to take his warfarin, and he told me both hearing aids were dead, but he could wait til a.m. for me to come, well hell, no, I got up and went over there and then I "revived" for about 2 hours and now I am exhausted again......but not sleepy.....AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH , 

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

Thank you Josie.

Redhead - girl you are so sweet to your Dad. Are you discouraged? Sometimes being emotionally exhausted is worse than physically tired. Hope you can get some rest. I for one can't go to sleep without reading first and the TV and ceiling fan on plus the a/c.

Diane

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 926
    edited June 2015

Just sending encouragement Redheaded1. I should have heeded some migraine warnings today myself. Spent the better part of the afternoon in bed. Take good care!

• josie123
    edited June 2015

Redheaded, hope you got some sleep and are feeling better.

• movingsoccermom
    movingsoccermom Member Posts: 164
    edited June 2015

Has anyone tried weight lifting to stop bone loss? I worked with my sons trainer prior to my diagnosis primarily to encourage my son, but also found myself stronger and happier with the weight lifting. It also seems to help maintain your bones. It's a non drug alternative, which I wish we had more of. I'm still in RT, but will start back with weights once I have recovered. Best wishes for you all

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2015

Redheaded - I feel your pain. The last 2 days I have not been sleeping. I also have had a migraine that comes and goes.

Taking it easy but I started PT this week for my vertigo. Really shook me up. They are looking into cranial vertigo caused by neck problems. When they did my epply menuver last week to stop the worst of the spinning  they discovered my neck was very bad. Might be making it worst so now they are going to give me a different PT. We will see. Also my knee is really having some swelling and pain today. Wha wha wha...ok rant over.

movingsoccermom - Have not tried weights since I got BC and rads. Something to consider if I could start small.

Edwards - That is great news.

By the way my friend that found her cancer after no mammogram in 10 years is almost done with chemo. She did well. Now on to surgery and rads.

• Redheaded1
    edited June 2015

moving soccer mom---yes, weights will help ward off bone loss.  The more weight bearing exercizes we do, the stronger our bones get.  

Thanks for the enouragement---I am feeling better--- added 1/2 of a Xanax to the one I was already taking and I slept really well.   I will be glad when next week is behind me.  Too many appointments and "unexpected, uninvited company" is coming to town.  A cousin I have met once and his wife.  I tried to dissuade them from coming because of my Dad's health issues but his wife emailed "can we at least meet for dinner somewhere" and what could I say.....I can't put them up for the night and neither can my poor dad, so I guess a meal will be the best we can do.  

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2015

Hi Y'all!

GiGil - luv those eyes...a sweet boy! Lots of summer plans in MN!

Fran - 😃 Kate is swirling in that princess warrior coat! Nice remembrance

April - glad hubby is better and life at work is busy! Did you sell your house?

Josie - hope the new med is going well and the office is just zen:). Enjoy your weekend.

Janis - the big O...I eat 5-7 prunes a day and zometa infusion every 6 mos.

Diane - grr IRS hack! Party girl with all those events...:)))

Brookside - another blessing...enjoy the new babe! Hope you get a meet up,post pics

Bunkie - yikes a brace, PT...hope things improve!

Artsee - some good advice!

Red - now I want a pic of that...running through the streets...Naked! free:))) fingers&toes crossed for appointments

Movingscoccermom - I lift weights, walk, dance, pound the bones...still loss 10 % bone loss first year on AI. Now added prunes &zometa.

Joan - are you at the beach or grand kiddo time!

SAB - classes over...new students soon...the book?

Trying to get in a new rhythm, organize stuff for accountant, complete home remodel, play with dog, dance, and just hang in there. Return to Rancho Mirage and BC 6/22 with mammogram and fun stuff. Fingers&toes for no events and a good visit with family...

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2015

BigD - thinking of you! Hope you are able to at least lurk...

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

Cindy - you are amazing. No one touches base with each one of us better than you do! Hope all is k with your mammo.

Good ideas about bone loss. Have a bone density test next month. Ugh. Tamoxifen is helping and calcium tablets. Can't handle prunes - make me sick. Too bad because I know they would help.

My 2 baby canines got into it today big time. Actually scared me. Threw water and a blanket on them to no avail. Vet said if it happens again make some noise like get a foghorn or even bang some pots and pans but never get in the middle to stop them. Not to worry too risky. Some days they are really hard to deal with. My plan is when I am gone for any length of time they are staying outside in the backyard. With all the fallout from son's X GFF doesn't look like he will be moving anytime soon so they are here for awhile. Their daddy on the other hand is a sweetheart. They will be 1 next month.

Have s good week everyone!

Diane

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2015

Cindy it never amazes me how manage to keep up with all of us.  With all you have been through you are truly amazing.  I am sure keeping busy helps, but I know how every step forward is different now, forever changed somehow.  You have my love and deep admiration.

My doctors have told me that osteopenia is not at all painful so I am glad to know that.  I had hip pain long before this scan, and my previous scan was normal.  It has to be the A.I.  I am not one to normally get any adverse SE's from meds, and I take quite a few.  If that is the worst I have to experience for the next year and a half I am good.  My MO says he has done a lot of reading on the 10 year plan, and he believes there is not enough evidence to support it.  So I only have about 18 months left.  I will be happy to remove it from my arsenal.  I stopped taking statins almost a year ago and haven't had my cholesterol taken so I know I need to do that.  I hope it hasn't gone off the charts.  I am so bad about my diet!  Exercise too, although I do walk every day.

Sew I sure hope the new infusions help with your osteoporosis.  What a disappoint to get back to Osteopenia only to lose that extra edge.  I have to start taking calcium.  I don't drink milk but I keep forgetting to pick it up.  I will get some soon.  I hope you are getting stronger every day and the meds are helping you in the long healing process.  Hugs dear lady!

Diane that is so creepy about being hacked.  It seems no matter how secure we think we are, someone is always out there keeping a step ahead of the game.  It is truly scary to know we are all vulnerable.  I'll keep all fingers and paws crossed here for a good outcome.  Lots of paws here!  :)

Brookside you must be so excited about welcoming a new grandchild.  How fun, and now just about a week ago.  How far is your trip?  Be safe and enjoy the special time with your new grandbaby and family. 

Josie I am thinking since you eased into the higher dose of Lexapro you should be able to tolerate it now.  I sure hope so, I know I feel so much better on it.  You try so hard at work, has that situation improved at all?

Redheaded I sure can relate to your insomnia.  I have had it all my life.  Even as a little girl my Mom would bust me late at night reading under the covers with a flashlight!  I have a couple different meds I take for it and they help sometimes but other times, not at all.  I have always been able to go longer without sleep than anyone I know, and strangely I function quite well on little or no sleep.  Doesn't mean I enjoy it though.  My Dad was a huge WC Fields fan and I always remember in some old movie of his where he pledged his cure for insomnia.  "Get some sleep"!  I still laugh at that today but it is not so funny when it is a chronic problem.  I do wish you many nights of good sleep ahead.  Don't give up trying!  And get some sleep!  :)

Bunkie I am sorry you were unable to keep taking the Fosamax, but your post made me chuckle.  I do rarely get med SE's and in my case, I would appreciate having a SE that would keep me from swallowing or keeping food down!  Okay not really that extreme, and I know that had to be miserable.  Still I am not one to get sick easily, and food always stays in and down!   I sure hope all those tests will finally reveal the source of the vertigo, and then a treatment for it that you are able to tolerate as well.  Good luck and let us know.

April, I hope the tests your DH had were normal and that another problem hasn't developed.  Please keep us posted!

Joan, I know you must be really busy, just wanted you to know I am thinking of you.  I hope you are having a happy summer with travels and your family.

SAB I think of you too and saw you made a quick post not too long ago.  Wishing you a peaceful and less hectic summer.

As always know how special you ladies are to me.  You have cheered me so much over these past three plus years.  Love and joy to all!  Hug

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited June 2015

Hi Ladies,

Husband is doing well with one exception...his freaking anemia. His numbers are tanking again and they have no clue as to why. We are really frustrated. He feels fine..but his Hemoglobin/Hematocrit should be 14-18 and over 30 but he is at 8.9 and I forget the other number. He was over 10 when he left the hospital after two transfusions. Ugh! When will they figure this out???

I had my 6 month appt. with my MO today and she has me on a break from Aromasin. She saw how bad it has gotten for me and told me to stop taking it for at least 3 months! Music to my ears...She gave me a month off about 14 months ago and it was heaven. This time, she is giving me 3 whole months! She said the break is necessary to clear it out and find out what is really going on with my joints. I almost kissed her! LOL She said if I recur within those 3 months, that means it was never working in the first place which makes sense.

Anyway, love you all and have to run cause am at work. xoxo BBL!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2015

April my MO also gave me several breaks from Arimidex, the last one was 2 months which was great.  Once I was back on it I had the same joint pain so he switched me to Femara.  I can't tell a difference, joint pain is still bad.  Really I think all those AI's are the same.  Out of the frying pan into the fire.  In the meantime enjoy these next two months!

• edwards750
    edited June 2015

Janis - thanks. So far our bank account is intact and I did make sure no one can call them and get information about our account w/o a PW. I just read that Homeland Security got hacked. Good grief.

I wish my ONC would let me take a break from Tamoxifen. Even a month would be nice. I'm not on the 10 year plan either - I have a year to go. I quit drinking milk years ago and then started back after I was DX with osteoporosis. With calcium tablets and the Tamoxifen my numbers are up.

April - bummer. I know it's exhausting and unnerving not to know what causes your DH's anemia. I am borderline anemic whatever that means. Is he really tired a lot? He has been through so much already - and you.

It is brutally hot here and we haven't even got to the really hot months yet. Ugh.

Diane

• josie123
    edited June 2015

April, I'm sorry your hubby s counts are down again. Why can't they figure out why. My uncle was severely anemic so they did this test where he swallowed a capsule with a camera in it and I think they found out where the blood loss was coming from. Keep us posted.

Cindy, I am amazed at how good you sound.I'm always amazed at how you can manage to address everyone.

Diane, sorry about your dog's fighting. Try not to get bit sometimes when they fight they don't even know what are biting at.Sounds like the pups are establishing dominance.

Janis, yes I'm doing ok on my 10 mg of Lexapro but not sure about my job. Today was horrible at work.Not sure if I'm going to last much longer there. Angry patient even though it was not my fault. Can't explain the situation but you can message me.

Sorry can't really post anymore. I didn't sleep well last night and functional at work until later today then all heck broke loose..Can't trust my coworker if I have a question about something she gives me the wrong answer and just waits for me to make the mistakes with the DR.

Saw my RO today. Kind of nerve racking. I love him and he is very thorough. I just can't stand walking in to the Cancer center. Then your sitting in the exam room waiting for the DR and you can actually hear the radiation machine from one of the radiation rooms. Too many familiar sounds and smells.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2015

So disappointing, April. After all he's been through (and you too!), it just seems to very unfair that his persnickety blood levels keep causing concern. I know you can't do better than Yale, but, for crying out loud! Sneaky, stinky problem!

Josie, apparently, you are out of the frying pan and into the fire. From Medusa managers to Mean Girl colleagues: Ugh! It just seems there should be a procedures manual somewhere (probably stuffed in a back drawer in that co-worker's desk!). Can you approach your manager, or maybe that doctor and ask for guidance? It also seems (from the point of view of someone who has never ever worked in the medical field) that a doc, with all his years of training (i.e. making mistakes) should have the capacity, or maybe the grace, to guide and train when it is his turn to be the one with the answers. Just one more thought for your amusement—If he's this intolerant in his professional life, just imagine what it must be like to be married to him. Blessings counting time!

I'm on a two-week arimidex break. Well, from last Thursday until sometime next week (away with new grandbaby, and then there's the weekend), which sneakily gives me at least a two weeks and a half. The objective is to see if it helps this trigger thumb. (I'm guessing not so much.) The baby's other grandmother was on Tamoxofen for two years, now on year three of femara, and is now taking her very first drug holiday. She says she didn't know such a thing was possible. Gee whiz! My onc told me about these little vacations before he even prescribed the thing!

April, I remember the drug gave you problems (fingers mostly back then, yes?) from the beginning. I am so envious of your three months off—a really cool summer vacation!

Janis, have you tried aromasin/exemestane? My joint pains were so very, very much better on that. Alas, other side effects brought me back to arimidex.

Cindy, I'm really surprised you lost bone density. From the first, you've been dancing and pounding and doing everything right. I, on the other hand, have not, and have not been taking calcium. Shudders to think of how my next scan will turn out (September, I think).

Diane, that is really scary about your pups. I think it would be unusual for them to really hurt one another (or did they?), but still, you never know. Maybe a round of obedience school? They need to learn that the alpha dog is YOU!