Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2015

Redheaded, what a cute little kitty. Mine doesn't want to be held either but loves to be petted and will jump on my lap when he wants to cuddle. Funny thing about kitty names. They usually don't care what you call them as long as you call them. My first cat that I'm speaking of Stryper. Was a rescue and was already named Stryper. I thought it would be mean to change his name since he had known that name for at least 5-6 months. But cats are not like dogs they adjust better than dogs to names and come when they want to not when you call them.My kitties previous foster mom named him after some heavy metal band.

• josie123
    edited July 2015

Brookside, actually it was the receptionist who wanted to get out of there on time and was rushing me to get patients in faster.But The other MA that was having her turn as receptionist that week also did tell me the patient was having a fit because she had waited so long. Not because it was our fault though. She was scheduled for her Ultrasound at 10:00 a and her Dr appt was 11:30 am. Sounds more like a scheduling error to me. But I had to deal with the angry patient. She was more frustrated than anything. Just because your Ultrasound finishes early doesn't always mean we can get you into see Dr sooner especially if no one says anything to me about her waiting so long until she's good and ticked off.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2015

redheaded,

Your Esmerelda looks quite similar to my Oliver, who is a Burman/Himalayan. He had a twin brother and they were hard to tell apart... This is called "My Bed's Too Small" his favorite place to sleep...silly boyimage

• josie123
    edited July 2015

Sew, Oliver is so cute. My cats love cardboard boxes. They actually fight over a box that I brought home from work. They just love it too bad it looks a little out of place in the living room.

• MostlySew
    edited July 2015

Josie,

Yep, Oliver is a box boy too....and a paper bag boy also come to think of it. Nothing better than jumping in and out of a box or bag making the most noise possible! And dry gulching anyone that comes along.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2015

Oh Sew and Josie, your kitties are so cute too, Naming is important, The shelter named Esmerelda "Jade" and I couldn't stand that....so I put her pic on facebook and asked for suggestions and told them whjat I liked and nobody liked Esmerelda but me....... The vet staff liked Mona (Mona Lisa was what I told them) and someone said Lady Chatterly.....I wanted a classy name.... My other cat was Siamese and his name was Simon, then I have also had a Little Bit, Roscoe, TIPTOES and Chubby...... and when I lived at home, Puff and THOMAS.....

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2015

Aand my priest had a cat that showed up at the rectory and he had a contest at the grade school to name her, but it had to BIblical...... The cat's name is Jezabel.....

• MostlySew
    edited July 2015

I like all the names. We named our twin kittieboys Stan and Ollie.....they acted like it too....

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited July 2015

Hi ladies. Been lurking, just didn't feel like posting, sorry. In a funk. I'm doing good but this heat has flared up my RRD. Had mamo etc. I'm going to assume all is good as I have not gotten a call. Berries are coming in quick so been busy with that as well.

Congrats to all that got clear test results.

Huggers to cindy, Hope u are feeling better

Sew rest & recoup.

Love all the kitty pics. I have 3 myself.

Welcome to the newbies!

Gotta go now & clean 16 cups of juneberries/saskatoons. L8tr. Huggers to all

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited July 2015

Since we are all posting out babies....Meet Simon, my gorgeous 12 year old Rescue. Have had kitties all of my life, but this one is the absolute smartest boy ever! And sweet? It is his middle name. Can you tell how much I love him? LOL

• josie123
    edited July 2015

April, Simon is beautiful. He could be my boo kitty's brother.

She was my bottle fed kitty.But she can be kind of mean sometimes.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 2015

Janis, I can't even wait to read all the pages before telling how relieved I am about your boy. And how sad (and angry) I am about the situation with your Dad.

Lots of dog talk on this first page (I am about three pages behind) and I want to share that my neighbor moved out of the country and left his pit bull with us. My husband said yes, I would not have because even though this is a sweet dog it is not my breed and we are gone too much to train her right now. We have two dogs already, two seniors, and she is pretty aggressive with them...wanting to become alpha I guess. I would let them work it out but she climbed on top of my labrador in the pool, pushing her under, and wrapped her paws around her and my lab couldn't escape, and finally as I turned to see what was going on my lab went completely limp in the water!!! I had to jump in the pool in my clothes and shoes to shove the pit off my lab and pull the lab to a step. She was too weak to get out of the pool for a few minutes. You can't blame the pit...this is just dog behavior, but I think it illustrates the problems with the breed. Alone she would be a lovely, sweet loyal dog. With my other dogs she is trouble. We are working with her previous owner to re-home her. It is just not working in so many ways. I'm going to post before reading the rest of the pages. Know that I'm feeling your pain Diane!

• josie123
    edited July 2015

HAZEL my daughters cat we had to keep when she moved out
  • SAB
    edited July 2015

Just read through the pages, and glad to see that the cats got equal time!

I can't help myself:

imageimage

• MostlySew
    edited July 2015

Hi Sab,

Wow, I'm so glad you were there when the dogs were swimming. And I think re homing the "guest" must be done. You've got an obligation to your older dogs which must come first......maybe there's a pit bull group who could help you? hope you're enjoying your summer vacation and getting lots of hikes in, maybe some kayaking too.

• SAB
    edited July 2015

Hi Sew. I'm hiking just a little bit. I've been traveling (to Ohio, no place exotic!) and having scads of company and working way too many hours. Company is gone, and things are a bit more under control and I hope to see you soon!!!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2015

SAB - so glad you were there to rescue your baby. I know the pit can't help the way they are but it still doesn't make it easier for those of us who have them esp when we have 2 other dogs too. I am spent from playing peacemaker from fights between our pit and the other baby who is more lab. The daddy is a sweetheart and not use to all the fighting. Neither are DH and myself. I think they will calm down when the surgery kicks in but meanwhile I am a candidate for a rubber room.

We didn't ask for them but there was no way we could turn them out so they are with us until DS moves out. He is working hard paying off his bills so it a matter of time. Meanwhile we are looking for a trainer and lots of advice from vets and other pit owners.

Good luck finding a home for the pit bull. They deserve a good home and to be loved like every other dog it just has to be the right home. They are better off as the only dog in the household. Our pit, when he is calm, is so sweet and lovable.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2015

SAB, I can't help but think that if your guest will treat another dog as a rubber raft, he might well do that with a human. Extra vigilance on buddy system, please.

Love the pet pics. Don't have any pets now, but as for pet names, I named my dalmation Spot (his father was Heavenly Hot Shot, mother Domino (family's last name), so I combined them in Hot Spot (our last name). My kids were mortified by what they deemed a mere generic dog name, but I held fast. I've always looked in awe at mothers who let their kids name the pets. Sorry. Too selfish, I guess. When the vet's receptionist was looking for a home for an orange kitten, naturally, I brought him home. Thought immediately of naming him Puff, after the cat in the kid's early reader, but he was a short hair. Wound up with Stripe. Called him Kitty.

About neutering--Brought the cat as soon as they'd take him, but he never stopped fighting with the neighborhood cats, and frequent trips to the vet just kept happening. I therefore wouldn't count on surgery having too big an effect, Diane, but, as your boys been fighting for months now, and, as far as I can tell, haven't harmed one another, maybe they just see their antics as little boy roughhousing?

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2015

Oh, the dog days of summer. Hunter goes to play and train Tuesday/Thursday...he is a cushy boy...everyone is his friend...a big love.

Joan - congrats on being so far out! Gosh time goes so slow at the start and then rushes on...enjoy your trip to SF&bay:))). I'm headed to Denver midAugust for family time with sis&nieces..still thinking about a home near Red Rocks. Luv the kitty

SAB - cute dogs...wag wag

Josie, April, Red, Charger, Diane, Sew, Brookside...meow bow wow! We have pet therapy in our homes,

GiGil - thought of FL...DS just returned from 12 days at DW resort...said it was so hot! But loved the water park and all the restaurants.

Working on making my nest more me...paint switch up...but the tax box is still there just goal by next week.

Shout out to all!

and BIG D 😘

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• april485
    edited July 2015

All gorgeous kitties and pupsters round here! Love them all!!

I am on a 3 month MO sanctioned holiday from the exemestane Brookside so yes, people can be off longer than just a month. My MO said I am protected due to the length of time I took the evil tiny weenie little pill. So, hopefully I can sort out what is caused by this drug and what is because I am now 60 and aging (*kicking and screaming though I am about that part - tee hee) and I am sort of feeling like my old self again now. There are still things that are bad but not as bad as before. We shall see...

Cindy, glad to see you pop in! xo

• MostlySew
    edited July 2015

Cindy, OMG, that dog is not just a lap dog...he's the entire chair dog. What a character!

• josie123
    edited July 2015

Cindy, he has really grown. Thanks for sharing. He needs a bigger chair!!

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2015

Well, April I started arimidex on April Fool's Day of 2013, so I'm a couple of months ahead of you (minus the vacations I've already taken), so maybe there's a little hope that I can take longer. Crossing my fingers.

Cindy, Hunter looks so absolutely blissful. I would too in that lovely chair--looks about as comfortable as a chair can get.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2015

I sure hope so Brookside. They both have battle scars but all is quiet the past few days. That may be due to the fact one if them, Chuck, is having swelling from the surgery last Friday. He is eating and drinking but not real energetic. Vet said that's normal but DH is taking him to the Vet today. Stitches are supposed to come out Monday.

It's unreal to me that friends who are dog lovers are so quick to advise us to tell DS to give the dogs away. No way that will happen. Yes it's tough for us right now but we just have to deal with it until DS moves.

Our local police are so stupid sometimes. This moron left 3 Yorkies in her/his car at Walmart. Windows were rolled down about quarter of the way but still 90+ deg outside. We all know, except the moronic cops, that it's much hotter inside the car. A rescue lady who happened to be in the parking lot and I got a plastic bowl and water and dropped it inside the car. I was so enraged I had CS page the owner. I was there 30 minutes plus and the owner still hadnt come out. The police had already been called and decided the dogs weren't in distress so they gave the owner 25 minutes to come out or they were going in to get them. Seriously? Get this the police are parked in the parking lot shooting the breeze. When they didn't come when the time was up I called the police dept. Needless to say one of the cops was not happy. Tough. It's not like they were busy. Oh and this person was parked in a handicapped spot- at least legally.

I asked this cop what were they going to do when they found the person and they asked me what I would do. I said lock the owner in the car the same way she did the dogs. There is a story where this cop did that. Kudos to him. He answered me with a sarcastic remark not worth repeating. He politely asked me to leave they would take care of the situation. Better have. I know if I had stayed I would have gone off on the owner.

I have done this before and will again if I have to. By the way Tennessee just past a law that says you cannot be prosecuted if you break a window to save a pet in a hot car. Other states should do this too. I personally don't care if I get arrested I'm doing it.

Okay I'm off my soapbox.

Cindy - baby looks so comfy!

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2015

I wouldn't give them away either. Not sure I'd let DS take them either! I kind of get a little bit grabby, you know.

I confess I know about the open windows thing. When I was a kid, my mother would leave the car in the shade with a water bowl for the dogs, and all was fine. Several years ago, I left my dog for just a few minutes, came out and he was clearly overheated. A lake was practically around the corner, so I drove right there and hauled him into the water. In a few minutes, he was fine. But oh, the guilt!

• april485
    edited July 2015

They actually arrested a guy (not sure what state he lived in) for breaking the car window when he saw a dog in distress and the cops felt TERRIBLE doing it but the little witch who owned the car (and the poor dog) pressed charges! He said he would do it again and he would pay the damage but still....seems unfair.

Brookside, that is ALMOST as bad as what I did as a brand new Mom. I left my son in the car (for about 2 minutes) by himself asleep in the car seat when he was about a year old and ran in to mail a letter in the post office thinking I did not want to wake him to walk in there for one minute but when I got out a woman was standing there hopping pissed and gave me a lecture about crazy people or my son waking and putting the car in gear (getting out of the car seat would have been tough but I get it now) and she said she would let me go this time but NEVER do it again and guess what...I didn't!!! LOL...she put me in my place and rightly so...

• queenmomcat
    queenmomcat Member Posts: 2,020
    edited July 2015

(waves hello) I've progressed from the "let's get clean surgical margins" to "let's start planning radiation" stage. Meeting with the RO on Monday, so not entirely sure what he'll do (it is a he-type person), but starting to come up with questions.

But carry on with the discussion of dogs in cars! I do appreciate that the group can veer off into matters of ordinary life, as I'm still kind of staring down what looks like an endless tunnel....only a few more weeks!...and I'm glad that there are so many who've come out the other side.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2015

Qeenmomcat - you will rock laser tag!

It is more mental...showing up every day and climbing up on that table. Make your list of questions and ask! You will spend more time taking off and on your clothes then on the table. Wear yoga pants and easy off on top and flip flops. You will climb up on table the techs will adjust you and then leave the room. They can hear you, talk with you, the machine will swing into position and light will come on you will be able to tell its about to pass slowly over your areas...maybe 20 seconds a noisethen turn off. Ask how many fields will be treated and begin moisturizing the skin. But make sure nothing on skin 4 hours prior. Again, it was more mental. RO should look at skin each week, and you can do show and ask to ease any concerns. RO may supply cream for skin. I used hydrocortisone and emu oil and fair skin did well. Did not shave underarm for weeks...:(((

Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate, free booking is good, clothing will irritate the skin as you progress. Everyone is different...make a countdown chart...I wore stickers...does radiation make my butt look bigger...I needed relief otherwise the 1st time I just wanted my mommy. But each time got easier once I knew it was just a few seconds,

May the light be with you! Fingers and toes that you finish well.

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2015

So nice to "meet" you, Queenmomcat, and very happy that surgery and margins and healing are all behind you. Yes, this is a great place for support, whether for those issues around rads, or pets, family, work, or whatever.

I loved my RO, always felt I was meeting with a golden retriever puppy. I was terrified of rads and she was a tremendous help. She was very clear that her job was local control; that of the MO was system-wide. I really appreciated the differentiation, as, at that point, like many (most?) of us, I was juggling thirty zillion bits of new info, and that one comment helped me get grounded about the whole raison d'etre of rads.

Do feel free to bring lots of questions and concerns right here, whether before or after you meet your RO guy.

• MostlySew
    edited July 2015

Queen moms cat,

Welcome...you've already gotten good advice, I'd just add my 2 cents and say that the weeks/days of rads will seem both long and short and then, Wham, you're all done with treatment. It almost feels like an anticlimax and some of us are left with a what now, or a being adrift feeling. You do get used to that feeling too and eventually as you can see from this thread, the more "normal" or at least non cancer issues in life do resurface and you get to begin to move on. Do stop by and let us help as much as we can with any issues you might have...we're here to help