Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited November 2015

Hey Sab, that made me giggle....."big girl drugs". However the older I get the more I'm thinking they should be called "Old girl drugs"! Sorry about the hips. Have you been able to hike/walk at all?

Hi Joan, Ugh, Knees. I'm glad the cortisone worked though. And your hike in the Blue Ridge sure would have tested it for sure. I bet it was just lovely and perhaps cold this time of year. I am still trying to get off this prednisone without having a flare of my lung infection. It's a very fine line. I'm down to 12mg / day though, so that's better than it was. It will take a minimum of 6 weeks and probably more like 2 months or longer to totally get off the blasted stuff. That will make about 8 months on the stuff. Talk about moon face! But as a friend says, now I don't have any wrinkles on my face. I'm on an inhaled steroid now to help get off the systemic stuff. It's scary stuff to me, but it does help. Hiking is pretty much out for me these days, although I can walk. Just not as far and not as fast. I'm hoping that will improve if I ever get off this drug.

Thanksgiving here will be my first one ever with just my DH and me. My SIL isn't flying out from Iowa this year, my daughter will be in the mountains, my sister is going up to her kids who will convene in Sacramento I gather, and my Mom is now wheelchair bound and I don't have any way to get her here and my house isn't safe for her even if I could. No safety rails in the bathroom etc. So, I will go to her assisted living place and share whatever festive meal they create up there. I'm like you Joan, I'm used to having 18 to 20 people around. But we've all aged, and the kids have grown up and have their own and live farther and farther away. It will be strange I must say.

Hi to Everyone... I do think about you, but just don't post as often

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited November 2015

Oh Joan, what a great adventure! It's heartening to hear that cortisone helped. I understand that each injection lasts about 6 months? Did it require an ultrasound guided injection?

A quiet Thanksgiving every now and then has its charms too!

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited November 2015

I am truly contemplating ordering my Thanksgiving food from one of the local groceries already prepared.....Seriously.

It is just me and my 88 year old father. I can get a roasted Turkey breast, 3 sides and bread rolls for like $50.00. ( I could do Mashed potatoes, gravy and stuffing) and make a green bean casserole and open a can of Cranberry sauce.....It should give us 2 days of leftovers..... And I don't have all the clean up to deal with other than our plates and glasses... sounds like a plan to me...

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited November 2015

Joan, sounds like a great hike. I'm jealous. Sounds like you will have a quiet thanksgiving .Theres nothing wrong with that. Sorry to hear your knee has no cartilage. My mil is like that and really needs a double knee replacement. She's talking about it after the holidays.

SAB, hope the hip gets better soon.

Sew, I know how frustrating  it is to get off those  steroids. Good luck.

Redheaded, sounds like a good idea too me buying a pre made 

thanksgiving  dinner.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited November 2015

Good news, Josie! Also educational--I had no idea blood clots in the calf were considered so inconsequential. Frankly, I'd just assumed that was where most of them not only started, but caused all their problems.

I have the hip thing too, SAB. Had no idea about the 30 muscles, but PT definitely helped. It strengthens and stabilizes. In my case, I have to have a hip replacement, but not right now, thank you. I blame at least part of this to the arimidex, have now switched to tamoxifen and feel much better, so, if you do switch to the big girl drug, don't be quite as dumb and stick-to-it-ish as I was if pain keeps growing and growing.

You are such a powerhouse, Joan. Really! Hiking over hill and dale and through brooks and whatever's with a persnickety knee. I am ever amazed.

Thanksgiving is always a balancing act here. It's almost impossible to get my kids here, so I always seem to travel. This year, at least two of my three sons will be with their father (he's ailing) in Florida, so there's a really good chance I'll see inlaws and grands, but no kids.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2015

Sew, you make me smile at the de-wrinkling ability of steroids. I'm so sorry you're still dealing with the drug, but very happy your lungs are behaving. Here's hoping you'll be completely done by Christmas!

Sounds like a great idea, Red, quite a feast, and just the right amount of leftovers. And easy! You get to do a bit of the ritual cooking, but no need to spend hours and hours in the kitchen. Enjoy!

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited November 2015

All of this talk about smaller Thanksgiving family dinners makes me realize just how far we have "shrunk" over the years! It used to be so many people and the turkey had to always be about 25 lbs or more. Now we buy a 12-15 lb bird and have plenty of leftovers...sigh. Of course, I do make lots and lots of other things with it...LOL. No one can eat like they used to either. No one wants to! Everyone is being healthy and skipping the more fattening stuff. I miss the crazy, loud holidays of years gone by so much! Lots of people crammed at the table and of course, a "kids table" for the young ones. This year it will be my husband and I, my son and his wife and two kids. That's it! So tough for me. My daughter goes to her "in-laws" (or soon to be) and my parents are gone, my grandparents are gone, my brother and his wife are spending it with her family and on and on. I hate this getting old stuff for that reason the most. Plus, this is my first holiday without at leas ONE of my parents with me!

Joan, I agree...I have a bad knee and can't imagine all of that hiking over hill and dale as it were.

Sab, sorry bout that bad hip...ugh!

Sew, hoping that you can get off that steroid soon. I know from having a good friend with Crohns how insanely hard it is to wean off of without having symptoms again.

To all of you, hope you are enjoying your fall...gotta run as my 9:00 just got here! xoxox

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited November 2015

Thank you Joan. We miss them so much. DS is still down and out but trying to deal with it. He visits his little guys every day on his lunch hour. They are a great source of comfort and joy.

Our Thanksgiving will be divided between my sibs and DH's and hopefully at least see the babies during the holiday weekend. Thanksgiving was one of my Mom's fav holidays. We always had a big crowd at my parents house too. Everything was so festive. DH has a big family too and growing. A new niece and nephew are on the way in the next few months.

Haven't heard whether my sister and BIL are coming. We also have new in-laws in the family. Hopefully we can get together for Christmas. I would like to go to Chattanooga to see DD and grandchildren but DH is working on a project at Sisters of Charity House for our Notre Dame Club. It's a big project and they need him because most of the other guys aren't so handy.

My sister is upset the kids are going elsewhere for the holiday but they grow up and have their own lives. One nephew got married in Sept in Chicago and another one is getting married next May in Louisville. She and BIL don't have any children but she dotes on the nieces and nephews.

It's a time for families to be together. Doesn't matter how many family members. I would def buy a ready made dinner if I had to do the cooking. Fortunately I don't.

Diane

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited November 2015

Hi everyone. I apologize for being such a stranger. As always I am far behind and trying to catch up with everyone.

Thanksgiving will be quiet here again. None of our kids come for the holidays so it is just the two of us. I too used to cook for a crowd and miss it so much. We can't travel so no chance we can be home with any of the kids who are all scattered. It is so difficult but usually we go to a neighbor to eat. This year my stepson is sending us a turkey, how sweet! He didn't want us to have to buy one so he has it ordered. What a sweetie, so thoughtful.

I will post more later I promise. I just wanted to check in since it has been far too long. I am so glad everyone seems to be doing pretty well right now. That really makes me feel good.

Take care my friends.

• Redheaded1
    edited November 2015

glad you checked in Janis---nothing wrong with a quiet Thanksgiving. Just me and Dad this year again. aunt 89 is in California with her sister 90......she won't be home till Dec 1

• edwards750
    edited November 2015

Hi Janis,

Glad you could drop in. That was so kind of your stepson. He is a sweetie! Also agree with Redhead nothing wrong with a quiet Thanksgiving. I'll trade you. Ours will be organized chaos. DH's family and my family having dinnerthe same day on opposite ends of town. Kids scattered everywhere too with their in-laws and now our newest additions that I know everyone will want to see. They aren't 2 months old yet so not sure about them traveling a lot.

Then there is the annual Turkey Bowl football game followed by lunch for all the players and we the cheerleaders at Pizza Cafe. It's a long time tradition that even the local newspaper picks up on. That's pretty cool. Of course my sister and I have to shop at her fav store, Dillard's. It's pretty exhausting but it's family.

Have to tell you guys I went to the dermatologist today to have those gross whiteheads removed. The Dr examined my scar area from the lumpectomy because I had Rads. She told me sometimes skin cancer develops from radiation. Great -BC and treatments the gifts that keep on giving. Had no idea. She said it was fine thankfully.

We are finally getting a blast of cold air tomorrow. I'm ready for cooler weather. It's flipping November.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Diane

• josie123
    edited November 2015

Janis, so happy  to hear from you. Glad your step son is sending you a turkey. How sweet.

Diane, enjoy your first holiday with your new grandchildren.

Thanksgiving  is kind of up in the air for my family right now. My brothers have grandchildren  of their own now and I can't blame them for having their own little thing. My sister is having her in laws and will probably  invite my parents  but not sure about us. My in laws are hoping their  daughter will offer to have it at her house.She had it last year.

• SAB
    edited November 2015

Hi Janis! Glad to see you!

Got an overall good report from the MO yesterday. Reviewed new drug protocols with me--looks like ten years on some kind of drug, depending on blood work and menopause and ability to tolerate AIs.

Hip X-ray coming up.

• SAB
    edited November 2015

image Today we adopted a new fur baby!

• Redheaded1
    edited November 2015

is that fur baby a yellow lab/ adorable.........

• SAB
    edited November 2015

Yes indeed Red, he is a six year old yellow lab. The other darling is our 11 year old chocolate.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited November 2015

SAB, look at those beauties posing! It looks like your new baby is settling in just fine! What a joy for you....and lots of work....
    I am still enjoying my kitty....she has really developed a personality and plays and follows us around when we are home. She greets me as long as DH isn't here (he trumps my presence). I pick her up and squeeze her hard every night when I come home and she tolerates me...puts her little pink paws gently on my face...then I let her down. She's tiny and does not eat or drink enough...don't know what to do. She's active though.

Diane, just reading your post made me teary-eyed again...it must be so hard. There is no answer...time helps, but it is just so sad.

It sounds like most of us will have down-sized Thanksgiving dinners. Many here have lost loved ones, and that is especially hard at holiday time. Others, like me, have kids who are scattered and obligated elsewhere. I've concluded it is up to me to be sure to visit when I can.
    Red, great idea for you to keep it simple. I am thinking also of ordering a turkey already cooked.
    So, we are small families, but still grateful. The world is a mess and yet my little world can be so peaceful and feel so safe. I hope it stays that way for everyone here.

Sew, I do hope your lungs are healing and that you can wean from the drugs. As I recall, I do not remember seeing anything resembling a wrinkle on your face even before steroids! You made me laugh....
    Sorry to hear you will be just two for Thanksgiving, but spending time with your mom will be a blessing. You have endured a lot of loss and change. You have come so far in your recovery, and I wish you a peaceful holiday.

SAB, how are you doing with your hip? Are you still able to get around and do some outdoor things?

My cortisone shot was guided with a portable ultrasound machine. It was not painful, really. I felt better within hours.

Brookside, will you be in CT for TG? I always think of Thanksgiving in Vermont as the perfect holiday. Have you had snow?

It's late and I'm getting tired (had an after dinner nap)...but I will try to find my pics and post one from my adventures. My knee is weak and I am starting physical therapy. Problem is, I do not have time for anything else on my schedule. But I'll give it a try.

I am so grateful for all of you who still come here...you are family to me and such lovely, and inspiring ladies.

Hugs!

• SAB
    edited November 2015

Joan, I will have an x-ray, and then the doctor will recommend additional imaging if needed (of course it will be needed, and I just hate the idea of more radioactive gunk in my system.) It hurts, and restricts my movement and I'm so happy to hear that the injection was not painful. I am taking glucosamine/chondroitan (sp?) but it doesn't seem to do much.

Our new dog is sticking to us like velcro right now. He was 15 pounds underweight (doesn't much show in photo) and has scars on his front feet from where they tied him up with wire. Enough to break your heart.

• josie123
    edited November 2015

SAB, thanks for sharing your pics of your new pup. He is gorgeous. And a very lucky dog to have you. It just angers me to think of the abuse some animals have to deal with on a daily basis. Someone tied his feet with wire? They ought to do the same thing to the person that did that.Good for your for rescuing him.

Joan, busy,busy bee.

Glad to hear your cortisone went well.

My son Andrew decided what college he wants to go too so we went to visit it yesterday at the open house. It's only a few miles away from home and it seems nice. He would have unlimited free rides on our metro link train. He went to tables he was interested in and then wanted to leave. He has interest in Japanese anime,art,political science and history. We have no idea how we could afford it but hope he could ge a scholarship or financial aid. We checked that out too.We were able to convince him to stay and let us tour the college by convincing him to eat at their student center. They gave him a meal ticket. Then toured the college by bus and talked to financial aid and left. I think he was happy with that. Being high functioning Autistic it's hard for him going into these new situations and he wants to know specifics on when it's over and we leave.I'm so proud of him for wanting to go to college.And we spoke to disability services there and they said they have several high functioning Autistic students.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2015

SAB, your new family addition is gorgeous. When I read that he was already six, I knew there wold be a Story. So sorry it is not a nice one. But now, he is one happily-ever-after super-lucky doggie. He sure does look happy!

Joan, I'll be in Vermont for Thanksgiving (son #2). Sons #1 and #3 will be with their father in Florida. Poor guy is ailing, resisting starting dialysis, so the trip down there is very much the right thing for now. Son #2 plans to take his family down there for a week over Christmas. Now, for me, Christmas is at my #1 son's on Long Island, so I'll be somewhere between CT and LI for probably about a week. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get together then! (And maybe April too?)

Josie, I hope your leg is all better by now. I'm still creeped out by the thought that calf clots are not worth the bother of a scan.

As a group, we sure do have our challenges. Sending happy, healing thoughts.

• Redheaded1
    edited November 2015

looks like I will be cooking. OUr local store had a deal where if you spent 20.00, the turkey was 1/2 price. So, I spent 65.00 and got a small turkey for under 7.00............ I told him if he didn't want me to cook it, I would donate it to the local Mission. He wanted it cooked....... I love turkey sandwiches, and my dad likes the dark meat, so it will be fine....if he will just get out of my way and let me cook....(that is the Arimidex talking, y ou know it makes me have a crappy attitude and mood all the time)

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 947
    edited November 2015

I posted this in another area but thought I would post here. I am 3 month post surgery and 3 weeks post radiation therapy.i am wondering is anyone might know what is going on with my sentinel node scar. My armpit has been swollen from the incision sight up since the second week of rads. Of course I was told it is not from the rads, and no help was offered. I was made by the RO to fell very uncomfortable as well. Never brought it up again. Now I am getting some red bumps. Half of the incision site is in the Rads field and half is not. I have an appointment with the RO. Hopefully not the one that blew me off. And I would like to be armed with some information before I see him. Thanks in advance.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2015

Those little bumpies sure look tender. Could they be little bits of infection, maybe even ingrown hairs? I don't know about you, but my experience was that every blinking garment I owned rubbed, irritated, annoyed, and/or hurt my sentinal node incision. I would not have been surprised to have developed some sort of skin issue. Your RO will probably be able to tell you exactly what is going on ("Not from rads!" is not a helpful answer, so do give him/her a gentle push for a dx and an Rx), but as your bumps are right under your incision, your breast surgeon is probably the one to deal with this particular annoyance.

Well, if there is swelling, i would definitely ask for a referral to a lymphedema therapist. These ladies are expert at figuring out how to encourage fluids to leave an area, and, incidentally, in lowering your anxiety. Any of your docs should be able to help you find one of these wonderwomen.

• Redheaded1
    edited November 2015

If the Ro and surgeon blow you off..see a good dermatologist.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2015

Another idea, Brutersmom--maybe those are stiches working their way out?

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited November 2015

just a quick check in here..wanted to tell Brutersmom that I still have 1 lump on my SN scar, used to,have two but mine never turned red...or I don't remember mine beingred. Docs all thought it was variously scar tissue forming, stitches that weren't dissolving (like Brookside mentioned) and basically nothing to worry about. I did have an ultra sound 3 months after rads because I formed other lumpy bits, but none were anything to worry about. In fact I've had lots of ultra sounds since treatment all looking at the lumpy SN scar and a few others in the breast but after 4 years I think none of us worry about it anymore...and I don't have ultra sounds any more either. I think the suggestion to see your surgeon is the best one. The ROs are great docs, but scaring and stitches aren't really their thing.

Sab...I love your new addition to your home. Poor guy, with his past treatment no wonder he's following you around just to hear some praise and soft voices.

Joan and Brookside...my lungs are actually getting a bit better....I no longer rattle when I breath. I'm cutting back on the steroid religiously, but that stuff is rough, and it's such a slow process,....I just hope I can fight my way thru to getting some sort of muscle tone, strength and emotions back in check when I'm off it....I know it's not ALL the arimidex!

Janis, glad you checked in. Sounds like things are going pretty well for you which I'm glad to hear.

Hi to everyone....

• edwards750
    edited November 2015

SAB - your new baby is precious. Thank you for giving him a good home. I'm like Josie animal abuse is reprehensible. People who abuse them are going to rot in hell. A friend has a Lab rescue group. They are wonderful caring people. We always go to a rescue for our fur babies.

Good for your son Josie. I know you are so proud of him.

Agree with Red Brutersmom if all else fails see a dermatologist. Mine said skin cancers do sometimes develop post Rads.

Sew - so glad your lungs are better and I for one don't stress as much about it anymore after 4 years. Actually I'm 4 1/2 years out.

We are going to get our turkeys from the Knights of Columbus at church and they will be fried - my fav!

Watched interviews on tv last night with several survivors of the Paris attacks. What a horrific time for the City. Prayers for the people of Paris. When is this madness going to stop?

Diane

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 947
    edited November 2015

I saw the RO today. He thinks that the red bumps are inflamed follicle damaged by radiation that are trying to grow hair but can't He thinks that it will resolve in a couple of weeks if it does not become infected. He thinks the tenderness under the arm is nerve and muscle damage from Rads and should improve over time. There is some slight swelling but he didn't feel any lumps and does not think it is lymphedema. We discussed follow up testing. Apparently this hospitals protocol is no testing until the one year from surgery unless I develop a lump somewhere or pain etc.

• josie123
    edited November 2015

Brutersmom, glad to hear you got some answers today. I still have pain also in my Sentinal node area especially if it is pressed on. My breast surgeon isn't surprised.He doesn't say much when I point it out.

Diane thanks I am very proud of Andrew. He's come a long way from that little boy who couldn't even talk and would just point to what he wanted.He's lucky to have had such great teachers through the years.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2015

Josie, the college hunt is such a rite of passage--how very grown up your son is! I certainly hope there is lots of financial aid, and maybe a specific grant or two thrown in.

So glad your breathing is better, Sew. It must be quite the relief that that annoying rattling is history. Keep right on healing, faster and faster.

Glad you have an answer, Brutersmom. Waiting for it to resolve is a pain (literal and well as figural, I assume), but it's just time.