Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited October 2015

Hi Metoo, ask them to check you for something called chostocondroitis (not sure of spelling) if it does not go away. I think some people do have problems with this. I have not had an issue but I have some others that are minor such as a lot of shrinkage (which I don't really care about much since I am past the bikini years..lol) and recently, some intermittent issues with swallowing which could be from rads (or may not be) Generally, the dosimitrists work very hard to keep major organs out of the field but some issues do arise occasionally. It is relatively safe these days though.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited October 2015

April sorry hubby is ill,hope the docs figure it out soon

joan nothing special this thanksgiving, did a ham & cheese scalloped potatoes with peas & a cherry crisp. All were from my garden, so they tasted great. It was just me & hubby.

My ear is doing well so far, re-check Friday

I get the foot cramps, rib pain & lately I get crawly sensations on my back in the lower part of the radiated sight. I'm chalking that up to nerve re-generation. Still have red rash on boob from last yrs RRD.

Today I have the gas inspector , hoping to pass, then onto filling in our trench by hand all 240ft. Busy day ahead. My body is so going to hate me lol.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited October 2015

Well 5 days off Arimidex and jumped out of bed last night with a leg cramp.......so...what do you suppose. I did drive to Urbana and back yesterday (about an hour each way) Cholesterol was 220. Down from 236,3 months ago, and can't imagine how that occurred as I didn't feel like I was eating that much better, or jacking up my exercise. Consider it a gift.

Brookside- I do want to stay on the AI as long as possible. I have always had a strong NO WAY REACTION when it is suggested to take another drug to counteract the side effects of a drug. My whole attitude/happiness feeling is so bad, and I didn't realize it was the drug, I thought it was the life situation I am in with my Dad, but now I see it was a lot of the se of the pill and I would feel so much better about ME if I could just feel happy....like I am right now. I think the next MO appointment will be a conversation about how we can address this happiness issue. How long were you off your AI before you started the Tamoxifen?

• 70charger
    edited October 2015

Anybody have some ideas as to what to do for our 40th anniversary next month?

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited October 2015

get another charger? Happy

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited October 2016

Get a new bed? : )

• Redheaded1
    edited October 2015

Vow (Wow) Renewal---

• april485
    edited October 2015

Take a cruise? A nice trip to somewhere warm and fun? That would be my first choice for sure!

• 70charger
    edited October 2015

oh Sew, I like the way you think! But with 10 vehicles already we are trying to restrain ourselves in that dept.

Red, yes I would like to renew vows, We did not have a wedding, just a justice of the peace with a couple of witnesses. No I was not pregnant. That came 5 yrs later.lol

April we are not boat/ water people. Landlubbers.

• queenmomcat
    queenmomcat Member Posts: 2,020
    edited October 2015

70Charger; Forty years is worth celebrating, never mind all the other things that might be going on in your life just now. I rather like having a 'renewal of vows", maybe with a meal with friends afterward (think the pattern of a conventional wedding, except based on your own personal grownup choices. And not so hectic.)

Is there a trip which would be special to you? (opera, fly fishing, pampering, rustic, urbane city, moss-chinked lodge in North Dakota.....)

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited October 2015

Rent an RV. Or a backhhoe and really dig trenches all over the place. His and her spa day. Volunteer at a Habitat for Humanity or a soup kitchen or your library or museum.. Pick out a puppy. Plant tulips. Celebrate all year long.

• 70charger
    edited October 2015

Queen, I'm toying with New Orleans, I think their big mopar show is on. But I have to check the dates.

You guys rock! Keep the ideas flowing. Thanks

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited October 2015

Charger -Wow 40 years! Awesome. I love the suggestions. Just make it special. I don't like cruises either. Landlubber here too.

Leg cramps are so annoying and can be debilitating. I usually get them at night in one leg. I take a magnesium tablet in the AM but decided to take another one at night. Did help a bit. Still have to sleep on my back sometimes which is hard for me to do. I take Tamoxifen. No worries with SEs until past year. I will be 5 years out next August. ONC never suggested taking a break from it. Would like to know if it's the cause of the leg cramps.

Don't think we are ever getting Fall weather. Temps in the 80s today.

Diane

• april485
    edited October 2015

Then drive to New England and see this!

• edwards750
    edited October 2015

Beautiful pic April. Thanks for sharing. One of the reasons my parents always scheduled a tour of the eastern US during the Fall. Also my fav season.

Diane

• Redheaded1
    edited October 2015

OK, has anyone heard from BIGD? Its coming up on a year since she posted, and she hasn't "lurked" since May. I just really miss people when they disappear. Anneb popped up on the Cats Cats Cats board the other day, and I was excited to see her---we were all in rads at the same time...Dang it.....

• april485
    edited October 2015

Aubrey this past Saturday at her 1st Birthday party. It was at my house and a rainbow theme. She is wearing a rainbow colored tutu! The girl holding her is her Auntie (my youngest) Stacey.

• april485
    edited October 2015

• edwards750
    edited October 2015

Too cute April.

It has been a long time since she has posted Redhead. I worry too when our former regulars don't check n every now and then like Runfree. I wonder how Lemon is doing too. Hopefully someone knows how to contact them.

Diane

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited October 2015

April, what a cutie. And your DD is beautiful.Thanks for sharing and a happy birthday to her..

Redheaded. I too really miss some of our friends that are missing . I hope they are ok.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been busy working full time and just trying to keep up with things. It was nice to get away to Branson and its like a memory . Life is back to normal and already feeling burned out sometimes at work. Glad to be up front this week. Especially since our busiest Dr is back from a few days off.

My oldest DD still hasn't found a replacement for her car yet and doesn't want to get into debt again buying anouther car from a dealer or car lot. I'm hoping she finds something reliable and affordable if that exists and of course She will get her Grandpa's approval before buying it. My father in law has been in the auto repair business since 1972.

• brooksidevt
    edited October 2015

What a little cutie, April! The colors here are (or were--they're past now) the best they've been in years and years. I have a couple of huge, huge maples whose leaves, for years and years, have just turned brown and fallen off. THis year, they were bright orange. Gorgeous.

Josie, so nice to hear from you; I was beginning to get worried. It sounds as though this job is a keeper, no? How is your DD getting around with no car? Something tells me you're providing limo service. I hope she finds one soon, also hope she is socking away each week the amount she would be paying for a car payment.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited October 2015

Hi Ladies,

Well I am out of rehab and back home finally. What a crappy summer. Last time I decide to go off HRT and get a upper tooth fixed in one month. My life was like being on a ride at Disneyland for most of the 3 mos I was in rehab. Many tests, many Drs, too much medicine and I am still dizzy BUT not as bad. They may never find it so I have to get on with it. The worst part of it all was I could see my mobility slipping away from me. It goes like this. You are a fall risk so we keep you in bed with only trips to the potty from 6 days.on strong meds. Then we get you up to walk and your legs are too weak. So we send you to rehab where they keep you a fall risk and medicated. Only way to get around is with help...when you can find it or a wheel chair. 2 hours of PT a day and back to bed or the wheel chair. Awful food....awful food. You get sent everywhere to apts and testing in that wheel chair. They were asking me about long term care and my assets. The only way I got strong enough to stand was to go against the rules. For 2 weeks straight I stood by my bed in the room or used the back of the wheel chair for support while I tried to walk the halls. They were short staffed so I never got busted much. I had friends bring me in food from outside so I could bring up my protien again. I knew it was time to go when a little 80 year old man was hittin on me.I kid you not. Weak as a puppy I checked myself out with the help of in home health care assistance.

Happy to report I am now using my walker and cane only. I can take the stair a couple times a day and do a little cooking for myself. I am fighting like crazy everyday but I remain undefeated.

I have missed all the stuff you all have been doing and will surf back when I can. Missed you all.

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited October 2015

Glad you are home, Bunkie !

• 70charger
    edited October 2015

April such sweet pics, how is hubby doing??? Any word from his Drs?

Bunkie!!!!!!!!! Just thinking of you this morn. Big Hugs(((((((((()))))))))))) So happy you are home & kinda on the mend. I hate that you have been through so much. Is your BF still at your place to help you?

• edwards750
    edited October 2015

Bunkie - so glad to hear from you. You have had a crappy summer. An 80 year old man! OMG it was time to go over the wall. Glad friends smuggled food in. You a strong courageous woman nothing will defeat you. Is boy toy still aroubd to help?

Diane

• josie123
    edited October 2015

Brookside, yes I guess the job is a keeper. Although some

days I wonder.LoopyIf I can make  it without  telling the one receptionist  off I'll be lucky.She definitely testing me today. And actually  my DD is driving  her grandmother s car. So they are tiring of her using it.Luckily they do have another  vehicle  to drive.

Bunkie, so nice to hear from you. I'm so sorry you had such a rough time this summer. So glad you persevered  and was able to come through  it like a champ. Your such a fighter. I'm glad of that. Take care sweetie.Keep  us posted.

• josie123
    edited October 2015

BTW my co worker is newly diagnosed with Breast cancer and is going through  chemo. She is in another  dept. I told her about BC.org.I hope she logs on and finds it helpful.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited October 2015

Bunkie, it's so good to hear from you. Fight on! You inspire me...

April, cute, cute,cute.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited October 2015

Hi everyone, just popped in quickly to check in on everyone. I know I need to get here more often, I am so bad.

I had an appt. with my MO this morning and all is well. I am not having any serious SE's on the Femara and no complaints at all so he was pleased. I have just one more year on the AI and then I am done. Yippee!

I promise to catch up soon. I have been a bit busy and today am doing my Halloween cake balls so I will be busy for awhile.

Love and hugs my friends!

• brooksidevt
    edited October 2015

Bunkie, that's absolutely horrid! In the unlikely event that you ever choose to hang out in the hospital again, please demand PT and OT from day one! And ring that blasted buzzer to get someone to walk with you, even if it's only to the bathroom. (Angry sounds and unprintable language.)

Hey--Does anyone know anything about buying cars? I went to a dealership today, armed with Kelly Blue Book info for a new car (2016) and my old car (2008). They had this cream puff 2015 with only 11,000 miles. They wanted the same price as the KBB quoted for the brand new vehicle, and offered me less than half of what that resource said mine should get in a trade. I pushed, but they barely moved. Considering the Blue Book quotes, I felt scammed, and left. Was I right to think the Blue Book has validity, or am I just a know-nothing trying to hang onto my bank account?