Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited November 2015

Hi Josie. Don't worry about the cost yet. In case nobody told you, fill out a FAFSA form in January. When the school (hopefully) accepts Andrew they will send a financial aid offer. It's only at that point you can make decisions. Between financial aid, payment plans, scholarships and work study my older daughter was able to do it. The younger (also high functioning autistic) is at a community college now for the first two years, and then we hope will transfer into a four year school. My goodness, the difference in cost is unbelievable!

Brutersmom, I'm glad to hear the RO was not alarmed. My sentinel node scar was in a terrible spot, and I wore a variety of dressings (from gauze, to sponges, to maxi-pads!) to keep my bra or cam straps from irritating it. ROs are not always totally tuned in to Lymphedema, so it's great that yours seems to take the possibility seriously.

Sew, I'm so glad that you are still fighting the good fight with those damned steroids. You really inspire me, the way you are positive, determined and smart about how you are moving forward.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited November 2015

SAB, thanks. That's what the lady from financial aid told us too. I just couldn't remember what it was called .So we will try to have it turned in in Jan.

That's encouraging to know you have a daughter in college that's high functioning Autistic.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited November 2015

3/4 done (12 of 16) as of today. Breast seroma is huge, but the RO isn’t worried--the incisions are sealed enough that I shouldn’t leak. It still fits into enough of my bras, and for the first time in a couple of days my cleavage is centered and vertical. I don’t want it drained because of the danger of infection, at least not until after we return just before Christmas from our mid-Dec. Mediterranean cruise. It could take a year or more to resorb--if it ever does. But I think it’s stopped growing.

My skin is not yet irritated--a little pinky-tan, but RO says it wouldn’t even have been apparent were I not so pale. Using Aquaphor right after treatment (hey, the tubes were free and they fit in my purse) and alternating pure aloe gel with calendula cream at bedtime. The underwires in my bras don’t bother me, but there are no bras on G-d’s green earth big enough to both contain my breasts and not leave indentations. (I am a 38I or J, with the “sister size” being 44DDD--which because the band is so loose rides up and doesn’t support, even though it leaves indentations).

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited November 2015

ChiSandy...You're doing great gal! Half way is a mile stone for sure. Keep on moisturizing with those great creams. Calendula and aloe will help lots, and aquaphor while totally messy sure keeps the girls lubed up. It will take awhile for that seroma to reabsorb, but your body can do it. My surgeon also did not want to drain mine, he said it's actually better for your body to deal with it. Who knows, but mine turned out OK. You know, I heard of a gal, can't remember who, that ended up using an ace bandage to wrap up those boobs when bras were just too uncomfortable. Was that you Joan? Anyway, if you get uncomfortable under neath those big gals, remember you can always use a little corn starch. Put some in a nylon stocking, and use it as a pounce, like for body talc. The corn starch will not hurt the rads area as the talc might do and is really absorbent. Just don't do it right before a treatment. I had to resort to that as I also have big gals! Well, only 1 is still big, but who's noticing. I did giggle at your description of the boobs finally being in alignment. Mine have gotten out of allignment as time goes on, and now t-shirts will sort of drag to the "big side". I find it funny. I did mention it to a friend, and apparently I'm the only one who notices. Also......keep hydrating. Water water water. Great for you and will keep you going. And a bit of exercise each day is great too. It doesn't need to be strenuous, just do some. It helps with the fatigue. So.....keep up the good work, and look forward to your great cruise as a treat for getting thru this.

Sab, I'm so glad we've got such a diverse group of people here that can offer information on all sorts of issues, like college funding. I know Josie will appreciate it. And thanks for the words of support.....I am getting thru this by hook or crook. I have to meet my new primary doc next week, my last left town and no, it wasn't my fault. I can't wait to hear what he has to say about my weight. UGH! But, the good news is that I think I'm combating osteoporosis with all this added weight. Who needs to life weights? I used my "big" vacuum for the first time in 6 months yesterday, and it about killed me. I'm totally stiff today. I hadn't been well enough to do it, and am shocked at how heavy those things are. But I'm really glad I was able to do it. Guess my DH won't take pity on me and the house and do it for me anymore!

Josie, congrats to your son. what a great thing that he wants to go on to college. So many kids these days don't and they don't even have the challenges he does. You and he will work out a way to finance this I've got faith.

Off to walk with a buddy, then a latte treat and up to help Mom. she seems to have lost all her clothes. She found them in the laundry and late last night she was busily trying to put them back in her closet. Which wasn't working since she's wheel chair bound. I think it's really just her mind playing tricks on her. And I'm sure by the time I get there, it will all be solved as when I called this morning, the aid had it all worked out, and Mom really didn't remember the problem. Mom's a trouper though at 97.........

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited November 2015

Josie - definitely fill out the FAfsa every year and as soon as you can in January. We were told they had limited funds so first come first serve. It was an exercise in futility for us because we never qualified for anything. Fortunately our son had scholarships but they didn't cover everything so he took out a few student loans and of course we helped. We had just paid 4 years of a private HS so not lots of disposal income left. He is our last one to get through college.

My brother has a 23 year old autistic son who goes to a special school. He graduated from HS a few years ago. Thankfully there is a place he can go because he walks constantly but doesn't talk. It's so incredibly sad.

Sew - wow 97! Impressive.

Diane

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited November 2015

I second what Diane said Josie. Also, please mine the internet for scholarships available. There may even be scholarships for autistic kids specifically just like they have them for "Family members of Knights of Columbus members" (just did that one off the top of my head, don't know if there are funds from KOC...but you get my drift. I know when I went back to school, I received 500.00 scholarship for women returning to school after a long absence ( I went back at 39!) and then both of my kids got 1K each because their grandfather (my Dad) was a WW2 Vet. So, check the internet and google your fingers off. You would be surprised what is out there for kids to use for college funding. But, FAFSA is really the big piece of the financial aid puzzle for sure.

Sew, 97??? Fantastic!

I am really missing my family lately. My mom keeps talking to me in my dreams. I never can remember the specifics though. I just miss them both so much and of course my dad just passed this past June so this will be my first holidays without him. Not handling this as well as I thought I would.

At work and gotta run as usual! xox

• josie123
    edited November 2015

Thanks Diane and April.

April ((((hugs)))

• edwards750
    edited November 2015

Dang April I didn't know there were scholarships for grandchildren of WWII vets. My dad was one. I know my neighbor's son got $ because his dad was in the reserves. This same son surfed the net constantly and even wrote essays to get scholarship money. He went to the University of Arkansas and didn't pay a dime in tuition. Pretty nice. Bottom line is avoid student loans if at all possible. My nephew got a work study that also helps. Every little bit does

Also I know how painful it is the first holiday after you lose a loved one esp your parents. My mom died weeks before Thanksgiving and my Dad a few weeks before Christmas. Try and focus on the memories.

Okay I'm having another birthday Sunday. Tried to ignore it but it's coming. Already had birthday lunches, gifts from sister and brothers and yes I opened them already. DH and DS and I are going to splurge on dinner Sunday at Capital Grille. Bit pricey but hey I'm worth it! Got some cute black boots and gift card to fav nail salon from DH and DS.

Have a nice weekend everyone! Turned cool here.

Diane

• josie123
    edited November 2015

Happy Birthday Diane, enjoy!!

Moving slow this morning. I bent down to pull the cat food out of the Rubbermaid container and pulled my back out. My DH came flying out of nnb ed when he heard my screams. I tried putting the cat food back into container and my back just gave out and I almost fell.

Doing a little better since I took a hot shower. DH had to even bend down to turn it on for me.No getting out of work today so I guess I'll do the best I can.Wish me luck.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited November 2015

While you're at work, Josie, do insist that they squeeze you in to see your pcp (see, there's a good reason to be working in the same building!). A great muscle relaxer and an anti-inflammatory can get you started feeling better pretty darn quick.

Sew, there's nothing like a new pcp and a new eye on the scale, is there? Oh, well, for them it's a just starting point, and there is so much more they want to know about you--and you about him/her/them--and such little time. I so feel for your mom. I am very clothes-centered (Mom was a model), and would be more devastated by a clothing heist than if "they" disappeared all my treasures.

Very glad you're almost there, ChiSandy. Do keep in mind that your RO expects to hear from you about any issues in the months (and maybe years) after treatment is complete. That seroma sounds pretty miserable. Tender? I sure wouldn't want to fool around with it during rads either, but maybe after that vacation? Sounds like waiting for it to resorb will be a lengthy and annoying process. What does your breast surgeon recommend? A few days after my lumpectomy, I developed a seroma from the sentinal node surgery. My bs took my right into the OR and no more trouble. As yours is more, um, mature, maybe just a needle could drain the bulk of the fluid?

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited November 2015

Hi all,
    It is so nice to have new people checking the site. Jay Rogers, it's so nice that you are surfing the site for information for your grandmother. I hope she is doing well.
    Brutersmom, glad you got some reassurance, but sometimes it's frustrating if it is still uncomfortable. I remember using silky scarves between my skin and bra for that very inconveniently located scar.
    Chi Sandy, I hope you continue to avoid skin damage with the rads. The waiting is hard, though, for the other issues to resolve.

Josie, I'm so glad that your son is on his way to the next big thing in life! With your support, I think he will do well. I hope you are feeling better.

April, it is so hard when holidays come around so soon after a loss. It is very difficult to realize that you are without your parents...even though I was independent, I always felt "covered" and secure knowing I had them in my life. There's just no roadmap for grief. I hope you can focus on your family, and your beautiful granddaughter. I hope you get a break from work for a few days.

Red, I know what you mean about wanting that workspace all to yourself! It sounds like it will work out....

Brookside, how nice that you will have Thanksgiving in Vermont. I hope you enjoy preparing and being with your family.

It turns out that my small group of 4 adults and 2 little granddaughters has now turned into 9 of us. My grandson and his girlfriend will come, and the girlfriend's mother (who I never met.)
    We are frantically trying to organize the house and de-clutter and get all guest rooms ready. . We will board the kitty from Tues. until Fri. since DD is allergic. It's crazy around here... I have a list of 100 things to do.

Diane, thinking of you, and hoping you have a great birthday! My son's Bd is the 21st and mine is 25th. I was born on TG. I hope you have a peaceful week end.

SAB, your pup is lucky to have found you....and the story is so sad. But I sense good times are ahead. I hope your hip is feeling better.
    I had my first physical therapy appt. today and I felt so much better after. I do not ache yet even after stretching muscles i didn't know i had!

Happy week end!
    Joan

• chisandy
    edited November 2015

Brookside, I had my next-to-last treatment today and my last visit with my RO. He examined my seromas--he is pleased with the way the axillary one seems to be resolving; as to the mammary one, he says he would not recommend aspirating it yet: it’s stable and not threatening to leak out the lumpectomy incision. He says that unless it looks as if it’s getting infected, or I can no longer fit into any bras, I should just keep an eye on it, protect it from my cats and be patient. The skin is still unbroken--the breast itself (especially the nipple) is sensitive, not irritated. The redness is erythema from within the skin rather than manifestation of an external burn. If I do begin to get itching and irritation or skin inflammation, I am to call him and he will prescribe a corticosteroid cream. But thus far, lubricating and preventive maintenance is doing the trick.

About that axillary seroma: at about two weeks post-op I mentioned it to my bs’ nurse, who looked at it and advised against aspirating it: there was a risk of infection; and if drained too soon seromas often fill right back up and then some. A week later the SNB incision ruptured --my bs’ partner said it was likely due to the stress placed on it by the weight of my very large breast, so rather than re-taping it or having me change dressings over an open weeping hole several times a day, he squooshed out about a half-cup of fluid and sutured it. Two weeks later, the sutures were removed and now, three weeks after that, a hard scar has replaced the incision. Definitely makes sense to let sleeping dogs lie.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2015

Joan, sure sounds like a whirwind of preparation. It's wonderful that everyone is coming, not so great that you have to (want to) do all that prep. I confess that one of my kids always stays in a hotel. It appears that their children (they) equate travel with an indoor pool. I have only an outdoor rocky and icy brook, or a raging, murderous torrent, depending on weather and snow melt. Right now, cold cold, cold.

ChiSandy, I certainly see why you would let sleeping dogs lie (and shove aside those ever-kneading kitty paws). i'm glad your seroma is being checked regularly and you have guidelines for when the bs has to take another look (or not). I happen to have smallish breasts and so no doubt perceive a sizeable seroma quite a bit differently than you would. I'm most pleasantly surprised that you do not have those itchy little bumps. Probably because I did, I assumed everyone was similarly plagued. My center handed out little tubes of cortisone cream that worked, after a fashion. Well, at least I felt I was doing something. The itch did reduce, not so sure about the bumps.

Very big congratulations on your next-to-last treatment. Makes the Mondayslog into the rads center almost pleasant, no? Was this really your last date with your RO? Mine scheduled a followup; I'm guessing it was a month later. After that, I saw an absolutely wonderful rads survivorship NP who was enormously helpful, mostly because she was able to tell me that my weird disfunctional symptoms represented a fairly common presentation of PTSD, which would go away on its own after six months. At six months, she said it would take a year. This time, she was right on.

• SAB
    edited November 2015

Josie, I just want to add one thing about FAFSA. Never pay anyone to fill it out for you--that's a scam that's been growing. It's the FREE application for student aid. Even if you don't qualify for federal money (we didn't this last year) it is used by the school to base loan offers, scholarships, etc. Also, there is a scholarship for just about everything. My older daughter applied for some (also make sure applying is free, it always is for legit scholarships) and we were amazed. Fastweb.com is a great place to start a search.

• josie123
    edited November 2015

SAB,thanks for the advice. I will remember that. Also I've already started searching for scholarships online and plan on applying for as many as I can!

Brookside, yes I did get in to see my Nurse practitioner at work on Friday. She gave me prednisone/medrol dose pack and a muscle relaxed. I haven't taken muscle relaxed yet but back is much improved already. My DH isn't letting me do much around the house. And it doesn't hurt as much too sit as Friday. I should of called in Friday. It got worse and worse as the day went on. I had to sit on the edge of my chair at the desk. I'm too stubborn to take anything for the pain. They finally sent me home 30 min earlier.

Joan Thanks for the concern also. I'm glad youthanksgiving will be full of family

Don't work too hard.

• Meh527
    Meh527 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2015

Anyone experiencing rib pain, lumps, tender to the touch areas around and to the sides of the breast? I also have a thickened vein called modors disease. Usually happens after surgery on the breast

• edwards750
    edited November 2015

Josie - hope your back is better. DH had a bad back problem years ago and took muscle relaxers. Helped a lot.

Agree with SAB about FAFSA scams. They are out there preying on people who need college money.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone! Weather is getting warm again. Good grief almost December.

Diane

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited November 2015

Hi Meh, for about a year and a half or so, I had a bit of rib pain under my radiated breast but it is now gone. I don't know why it was there or why it stopped but I had two surgeries (lumpectomies) less than a month apart and that is a lot of trauma so that could be it...just don't have an answer.

Josie, I agree with others. Take the muscle relaxers, at least at night. It will definitely help you and you will feel better quicker imho! Don't be stubborn! xo

I got a reprieve this year and am not cooking! My son's wife's Mom who has been coming to my house for all of the holidays (she lost her husband a week before TG last year so I did not want her to be alone and invited her and I like her a lot anyway so no problem having her) has decided she is ready to resume cooking and hosting so she invited us and we are going! My daughter and her fiancé go to his house for brunch and then have their own dinner in the evening. Since they were used to me being gone for the last 10 years (we used to go to FL and have TG with hubby's parents but my MIL passed and my FIL (almost 88 years old) has a girlfriend and he is going to have TG with her family so since my son and his kids and wife will be with Betsy, that is where we will be. Works for me! I am bringing pies and a bottle of wine and that is it!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone if I don't return to this thread before the day.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited November 2015

Got good news yesterday at the Ro visit. She did a breast exam and said that the pain I am experiencing is most likely inflammation from the surgery and the radiation. Typically women can control it with NSAIDS but I am allergic. But at least I have peace of mind a nd it is intermittent pain. She said sometimes a sterioid will help but she didn't want to do that and I didn't really want to do it either. Said she would see m e in a year! I just love her.

• josie123
    edited November 2015

Redheaded, glad it wasn't too serious. I with there was something you could do for relief. I'm allergic to so many meds and pain meds too.

I remember having swelling in my surgery breast after radiation. And pain in the arm pit but not too much in area of lumpectomy.

April, your so sweet. My back is doing great. Almost done with my steroids too.

Wine and pies sound good to me!! Enjoy!!

• josie123
    edited November 2015

Diane thanks so much for the concern.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited November 2015

Hi ladies, just popping in to wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving. I hope everyone has a very special day planned. Enjoy the time with family and friends!

I am, as always, behind in reading. I promise to catch up soon. Always know how special you all are to me.

Have a wonderful holiday my friends. :)

• josie123
    edited November 2015

Janis, Happy Thanksgiving to you too!!

• chisandy
    edited November 2015

Last Fri. was my last visit with my RO. Monday’s "farewell-to-the-zaps" visit was somewhat anticlimactic: no bell to ring, no certificates, just an after-visit summary and a “Happy Thanksgiving.” The waiting room was really crowded and they were running at least 1/2 hr. late. Maybe it was a holiday-week crew combined with patients rearranging appointments to deal with the place being closed for four days in a row starting tomorrow. The RN did confirm that my breast seroma will take quite a while, perhaps over a year, to disappear but any effects I experienced from the rads will start to abate about a week from tomorrow. Next week & the week after will be pretty busy: will be doing a little volunteering for the Bar Assn. Show, but will have to miss opening night because we have tickets to see “Beautiful” (the Carole King musical) as part of one of DH’s hospitals’ outing; then on the 4th he’s being honored at a far s.w. suburban country club for 30 years’ service at another hospital. Amid all that is shopping and packing and arranging for our trip. (Hope my LE sleeve & gauntlet still fit--if I gained weight, I’ll have to scramble to get a new prescription and pray that there’ll be a stock sleeve to fit me. I don’t have LE, but have to wear the thing for long flights). Had been kicking myself for neglecting to apply for the “Global Entry” expedited security program, but it turns out it wouldn’t have helped: in the light of the recent Paris attacks, even TSA-Pre-Check and Global Entry fliers may have to take off shoes and remove computers from carry-on bags.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2015

Congratulations on finishing, ChiSandy. I know your skin has done pretty well all through this rads slog. Still, I think you'll be surprised at how quickly that pinkness begins to fade. Your seroma should be pretty happy too!

Now you can focus on life-as-normal, on travel, the holidays, and normal days not interrupted by dashes to the rad-o-rama.

With wishes for many Thanksgiving blessings for all,

Patricia

• josie123
    edited November 2015

ChiSandy,

Congratulations on finishing Rads. That's great. Hope that Seroma goes away soon.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited November 2015

Chisandy---congrats on completing rads.....its a great relief. My center gave out a certificate, can't remember if I got it the last day or at my 1 month check up with RO. ( my skin opened up and I saw the nurse every other day for like 2 weeks after I finished Rads===before I got a compounded crème and grew skin overnight)..... I don't know anything about seroma's but it sounds painful.

Good luck with your Hormone therapy. I am on Arimidex. tried Femara 1/2 way thru and only lasted 4 days on it. I hope you do much better with it. I felt like I was good as new once the pill was all that was left to do. Can't say the pill isn't without its side effects, but what are you going to do.....Some things you just don't gamble with, right?

• SAB
    edited November 2015

chisandy congrats! May you heal quickly and well.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. We had a wonderful family meal, and I rolled over to the computer to check in and send out seasonal hugs.

• chisandy
    edited November 2015

Fighting off a turkey coma to type this--that nailbiter of a Bears game certainly helped keep me awake. Portions at the restaurant were so huge that everyone who ordered turkey took home leftovers. (Will make some cranberry relish and gravy to eat with the “rerun” tomorrow night, as there wasn’t enough of either on our plates). No room at all for dessert--the only ones who ordered it were the ones who had other entrees. I just barely got through my black coffee!

Going up to Old Orchard to shop tomorrow, since I think protests will make a mess of Michigan Ave. (Not gonna get political here, but I can see their point). Besides gifts, need to head to Eddie Bauer to plug holes in DH’s wardrobe and at Chico’s for mine. (I like to refer to Chico’s as “Forever 61”). Any store where I can fit into a size 2 or 3 is okay by me. (Never mind that their “2" is a 12/14 and their “3" is 14/16).

Red, the seroma isn’t really painful: the skin over the incision is still numb, and I’m just getting soreness inside my breast from the extra fluid volume, as well as new nerve pathways reconnecting. Actually, I’m fitting back into my 38I bras again because although the right breast has swollen girth-wise, it doesn’t hang as low as the left one. So things are kind of evening out. And once the leftovers are gone, I’m going back on straight low-carb till the cruise.

Discovered a brand of cookies called Alyssa’s. Not cheap (especially if mail-ordered) but boy are they good! Anywhere from 1-4 net gm. of carb per cookie--in fact the sweetest and gooeyest ones (the “Vegan Bites”) are the one-carb wonders. Saw Mark Cuban touting them on “The Chew." I figured if they’re good enough for Cuban to invest in (privately, not via Shark Tank), I ought to give them a try. Most low-carb cookies either taste like crayons or have the texture of sawdust-and-grease, but not these.

• cuddyclothes
    cuddyclothes Member Posts: 98
    edited November 2015

ChiSandy, "Forever 61" is PRICELESS!

After abdominal surgery, I had what I referred to as my "alien baby". Rather than swelling over the scar, it was up under my boobs. My surgeon kept saying it would resolve. Finally an MRI revealed it was a fluid-filled seroma. As it happened, a neighbor specialized in medical massage. The first couple of times he massaged me, I felt sooo sick. My PCP said it was from the toxins coming from the scar tissue. After a number of sessions it went away. You might consider medical message for your seroma. Besides, having your breast massaged might be fun.

Winking