Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited December 2015

Lindab-don't fret over rads. You will be fine. I used the prescription crème called Xclair. I wore a mans cotton wife beater t shirt under a sports bra a size or two too big. The t shirt soaks up the excess cream and keeps you soft and comfortable. Be sure to wipe under your boobs before you get your rads. Moisture gets down there and can make you burn.... I took my crème with me and applied it immediately after my rads. Just follow your instructins.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2015

Hello LindaB. Our mantra around here is moisturize, hydrate, rest, exercise. Don't worry too much, some of us burned and some didn't--there's no use worrying about it and your RO will give you creams if your skin gets irritated. I used 100% aloe after each session, and calendula cream the rest of the time. I think it's by Boron and I found it at Whole Foods, though you can get it online. Everybody here has their favorites! I hope your treatment goes by in a blink and you can get your strength and energy back.

Sew and Brookside, I'm so happy that you both found out about your sleep issues. Apnea can have very serious consequences. Be ever so careful in the car Brookside!

Josie, all of us who have children living away feel your pain. You are certainly handling it with grace. Sometimes distance makes the relationship even better. I am closer to my daughter than ever...the one that lives a couple of hours away. Sad about your FIL.

Mother willow I hope you're feeling better.

• lindab142
    lindab142 Member Posts: 76
    edited December 2015

Brookside, thanks for the good wishes. I am a little nervous about it - but want to get it started and done.

Where do you get emu oil? Aloe vera? At a health food store? I can't have an aloe plant because of our 4 cats, who would play with it and destroy it.

I have a couple old cotton T-shirts, just remembered. So, that'll save 1 expense.

I'll keep you posted.

Linda

• lindab142
    lindab142 Member Posts: 76
    edited December 2015

Redheaded1, (and others) did you use cornstarch at all? And you put a t shirt UNDER your bra? I think I'll be going braless. It just feels better.

SAB, thanks for the mantra "moisturize, hydrate, rest, exercise" - except for the exercise part which I'm not big on. I am doing stretches which make my back feel better.

Where do you get 100% aloe? We have 4 cats who would destroy a plant, so that's not an option.

Rads is a whole new thing for me, sorry, but I am a bit concerned and want to be as prepared as possible.

Linda

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited December 2015

My daughter-in-law gifted the emu oil. I believe she found it at Amazon.

The nice thing about having rads in the winter, I found, was that I was able to dress in enough layers to go braless almost all the time.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2015

Lindab142, I got my aloe gel at trader joes. The stuff at cvs says "with 100% aloe" but it's not actually 100% aloe, in fact aloe is about the 5 th ingredient listed and it didn't work at all.....so be sure to read the label. Also, I did use corn starch under my breast to help with moisture control. I also went bra less most of the time. It's good to prepare yourself for rads. You will find you have a good support team at the rads center and also here so be sure to ask any questions you have. And for exercise, it doesn't need to be strenuous just a short walk or something it ends up feeling good. Good luck and remember..soon you'll be done with active treatment.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited December 2015

SAB,Brookside,Linda B,April thanks for the compliment on the haircut.Smile

Brookside, I'm glad you found out about the sleep apnea.I hope the C pap machine or mouthpiece helps. That's just plain scarey to be that tired especially while driving.

Hope I didn't miss anyone. Talked to my DD last night . My youngest DD had a rough day yesterday at school. Missing her sister already. I tried to talk her into coming back in time for her orchestra concert Tommorow night.She's going to try but has only 1 vehicle between her and her boyfriend.Her boyfriend is working now. Yay!!first time since she's been dating him he's worked.

• Redheaded1
    edited December 2015

lindab142-I am a 40 E so going braless was never an option. Although I did buy some bra shelf cammi's that were snug and tried it at home....HA.. Yes, put the soft t on underneath the bra--if you need one. If you don't need one, just do the T--you will find it soothing to the skin and it keeps the greasy stuff in your preferred crème from staining your clothing.....I got them at Target in a 3 pak..... Did not use cornstarch at all. M y RO gav e me a list of what I could use, and cornstarch was not "approved". My Rads were at 1:30 and I think the lotion routine was none 4 hours before treatment. But, if you do use it (and you want to keep your skin as hydrated as possible) 4 hours before---be sure you wipe the area under your boobs just before you get on the table ( use the smock they have you wear).... Drink lots of fluids and eat plenty of protein. My center used stickers and markers and I didn't get any tattoo's till the end---one to mark the end of the field for future references--but all places do things differently. If htty put stickers on you and they move--don't reapply yourself---they need to be precisely positioned. Just tell th em it shifted or came off and they will remeasure you.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited December 2015

I didn’t get tats, period--just the x’s & stickers (stayed in place through 21+ showers). I got my aloe (Fruit of the Earth), at the Kellogg Center’s pharmacy, but it's also on Amazon--the 84% aloe cream I got from Whole Paycheck left a stale perfumey smell, and the CVS had dyes and fragrance. I always keep Boiron calendula cream around the house for moisturizing chapped hands, and at the beginning I used it at night until I found I liked the Fruit of the Earth aloe better.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2015

I used the Boirontoo, and loved it, but for right after treatment I used the aloe for burn control. Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Amazon have it but as Sew cautions read carefully. Never used corn starch.

As for exercise even gentle walks will do to increase your energy level!

I forgot about protein, so we have a new mantra now. Protein, moisturize, hydrate, rest and exercise. Hmmm, I wonder if I can make a word...PHERM?

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2015

Hi all,
    Sending wishes for a happy Hanukkah and Christmas Season to those who celebrate.

I just wrote a long post and I guess I dozed off and hit the space bar and it disappeared. 
    I will catch up later with y'all. 
    Welcome new ladies...
    More soon.
    Joan

• josie123
    edited December 2015

Thank you Joan, I was wondering how you were. Sorry to hear you lost your post.

• josie123
    edited December 2015

I got some terrible news tonight.I'm asking for prayers for my cousin.

She had a very aggressive form of Breast cancer I think she was triple negative 10yrs ago when she was like 22yrs old. So she had several rounds of chemo and double masectomy. Well recently she had some terrible back pain.Went to the Dr and he thought she had a blood clot in her heart . After doing an MRI they found the cancer had spread to her spine and her liver.She is only 32 and has a 2yr old and a 4yr old.

How upsetting. And its just not fair.

• Redheaded1
    edited December 2015

Josie, how tragic. I will pray. for all of you.

• josie123
    edited December 2015

Thank you so much Redheaded.

She is actually a second cousin and remember her more as a child than an adult. You know how big families can get and you lose touch with each other . But it is so sad. I can't believe it.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited December 2015

Saying a Mi Sheberach for your cousin, Josie.

• queenmomcat
    queenmomcat Member Posts: 2,020
    edited December 2015

Josie: prayers for your cousin from over here as well.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited December 2015

So sorry to hear about your cousin, Josie. Prayers

• Redheaded1
    edited December 2015

Triple Negative Breast Cancer at age 22 yet the American Cancer Society thinks we can push off mammograms to 45....Obviously they are no longer in sync with the earlier ages breast cancer is trending at. How many women do we all know that were diagnosed at their first mammogram (age 40) JEEZ this frosts my cookies....

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited December 2015

Oh Josie, my heart hurts for your family. Hugs and prayers.

• josie123
    edited December 2015

Thank so much everyone for all the prayers. It means a lot.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2015

Josie, hugs and prayers going to you and your cousin and extended family. This is very tragic indeed.

• josie123
    edited December 2015

Thank you sew.

I just spent 3 hours at the emergency vet with my cat . He wasn't eating or drinking. After over $400+ didn't really get answers. Turns out I just happened to work with this Vet 24 yrs ago. Too bad He didn't give me a discount. Good thing my DD(older) has good credit. Now we will just pay her back. I really hate to do that but she agreed and it will be paid off before 6 months.

Tired. I will see you. Good night.

• joan811
    edited December 2015

It's quiet here....am up late doing some online ordering for my grandkids.

Josie, the news about your cousin is both terribly sad and shocking.  It just seems so unfair, as you said, and kind of unbelievable that it can come back with such a vengeance. 
    I am grateful for every day since BC...we never know.  Sending prayers for a miracle...
    So sorry to hear about your kitty.  Since getting my new adopted cat in July, I have had at least 3 vet visits and I never get out of there without spending a lot.  Right now she is OK but there were weeks when she wasn't eating much.  It's good you have been vigilant with your cat. 

Wishing a happy week end....I am so glad to have 2 days off.  (yawn)
    good night...

• josie123
    edited December 2015

Thanks Joan, BTW. At the emergency clinic they told me to keep him in for at least 2 nights. Well he won't use the litter box when he's in. So I guess I used poor judgment when we got home from vet and let him out. I haven't seen him since. He's probably close but hiding . I'm very worried . And feel guilty.

I agree Joan we should all feel very Fortunate for each day.Breast cancer is so scarey. Apparently the one negative for hormones is the most aggressive.But even the hormone positive ones can be deadly too.

I got my new smart phone today. It's a I phone5S . I love it. It's my first smart phone.I'm sure it may take a while to get used to and learn but I love it.

• jojo9999
    jojo9999 Member Posts: 52
    edited December 2015

to whomever asked about aloe vera gel - 100% can be gotten in capsule form - GNC carries it - they are intended for oral consumption, but you can poke the capsule and squeeze out the gel . Easier than getting it from a plant. I used this during rads and found it helpful. The bottled stuff that says 100% aloe usually isn't, meaning there are other ingredients. These pills are truly 100% aloe.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited December 2015

Josie - so sorry about your cousin. It isn't fair - not one bit. It is also unnerving that when it comes back it does with a vengeance. That's what happened to my friend. I guess we can never feel totally content even at the 5 year mark. My friend's was aggressive from the getgo too. Such young children too. Prayers for her and her family.

We have had some high vet bills too. Poor kitty. Thing is they are our babies too. My brother took my parents dogs to the Emergency Vet Hospital and shelled out several thousand to treat them.

Good to hear from you Joan.

My BIL has just been DX with sleep apnea so you guys have provided a lot of good information I can pass on to him and my sister.

DH's company Christmas party was last night. Very nice. His boss' daughter played the guitar at the restaurant. Btw she made it through 2 rounds on The Voice. Great voice.Food was really good and DH got a well deserved award plus bonuses were handed out as well. So grateful we so need it!

Temps still n 70s..unreal.

Diane

• joan811
    edited December 2015

Hi all,
    Where has everyone been?  I have been working and doing finals and grades.  Now it's still decorating and sticut.ng mostly online.
    Sunday my 3 daughters and their 6 kids will meet me in NYC to go to the Radio City Christmas show.  I can't afford a day off from tasks, but will be so happy to be with them.  It's worth it!
    Josie, did kitty come back home?  I'd be worried....hope all is well.
    I hope everyone is enjoying the good things that happen at this time of year...
    I am still overwhelmed by a sense of gratitude for everything I've been given.  .
    I hope to check back more often.  DS comes Tuesday from California, and Thursday from Chicago.  Will spend Christmas day in Connecticut.
    xoxo

Joan

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2015

Just stopped by to try to catch up.  It sure gets busy when I am away for so long.  I can't believe how long it has been since I have been here.

A warm welcome to all the newbies.  You will always get great advice here, and an abundance of support.

I am really sorry I haven't been here more. I will try to be better I promise!  I really miss the interaction. 

Take care one and all.  Love to everyone.  

• Redheaded1
    edited December 2015

Hey JustmeJanis--good to hear from you. its sthe time of year when people just get overwhelmed. I would just like to go to bed tonight and wake up on new years day....lol..