Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited October 2017

Thank you Brookside, one less thing to worry about. The thyroid wasn't on her list but I thought people had mentioned it.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2016

Marijen, My info is exactly the same as Brookside's and I have previously had "precancerous" tumors on my thyroid (removed 30 years ago). I naturally discussed scatter, protection etc extensively with my RO. His answer is what Brookside explained. There is virtually no scatter with BC radiation and if there is a small amount, the lead shield will not really protect you. I did not have any thyroid problems during or since rads (4 plus years now) and I believe it is as safe as can be. Don't worry about your center being on the ground floor. Mine was too. Believe me, they know what they are doing. And when you research all these questions, as you should, you will find that the protocol now is very very different than it was even 20 years ago. I expect it will be very different in another 20 years too. If you're worried about lowering your thyroid levels even more (which I doubt it will) be sure to have your GP test it. Know though, that rads frequently causes fatigue which has nothing to do with low thyroid levels, but rather the effects of radiation on our body and said body's attempt to heal itself. Has anyone told you that our mantra around this thread is "hydrate, hydrate, exercise (even just a little), eat lots of protein (60 plus grams a day), hydrate some more and lube that girl often....and then hydrate and lube some more. Then take a walk and eat more protein. All these are things you can do to help your body get thru rads and get rid of the cancer.

Good luck with your rads and do talk with your cancer team. You can bring those questions to us too but we aren't your doctor nor do we know your medical history.

• marijen
    edited October 2017

Hi Mostly Sew, thanks for all the information, I'm glad I asked. I'm sure it's more than I would get from the C Center. Yes I like your mantra. Working on the protein thing, I can't drink anymore fluids than I do but realize it's very important as well as the lubing. Will keep you all updated.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited January 2016

Oh Janis I am so sorry. Even though it was expected given he has been ill I know it is still very sad and painful esp for you and your sister. I'm glad you have each other. Remember no matter what your dad knew you loved him.

I will be praying for you and your family.

Diane

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited January 2016

Sorry to hear of your dad’s passing, Janis. It’s always difficult even if you think you’d already grieved the loss caused by alienation--or as with my dad, depression-induced dementia, May his memory be for a blessing, and may the good memories eventually take over from the bad.

Sew, biopsies don’t cause cancer! That’s an old-wives’ tale beloved by those suspicious of allopathic medicine.

I had thought for a day or two that I was developing shingles (despite having been vaccinated) as a result of radiation weakening my immune system. But it was probably more likely due to the Medrol I had to take for asthmatic bronchitis from a head cold gone south. The day after I finished my last Medrol pill, the burning pain beneath my skin receded, and I never developed a rash. Radiation, however, did cause fibrosis of the tissues surrounding my breast seroma. The fluid may eventually resorb....but that hardened tissue will always be there. Had to buy bras a band and cup size larger to avoid it turning into truncal LE.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited January 2016

Janis, so sorry for your loss. Big Hugs Fran

• MostlySew
    edited January 2016

ChiSandy, I agree about the old wives tale...I'm sure there is a bit of scar tissue from the biopsy but I agree that isn't in itself going to cause cancer. I just ignored my daughter on that one. You know just as a thought, I also have very hard tissue surrounding an area of seroma from my surgeries, but it is able to be reduced by lymphedema massage. I found a really great LE therapist, and she is able to get that tissue as soft as the rest of the breast. They termed it truncal LE. You may want to give it a try if you haven't already.

• chisandy
    edited January 2016

MostlySew, I started LE massage this past week--good thing, as lately I’ve been waking up with increased cording symptoms (too much fat in my arm to see cords, but having pain with skin traction). In between sessions, I’ve been trying the MLD self-massage technique--no luck reducing the seroma, perhaps because I find it difficult to reach around and below the breast and my husband is too busy and comes home from his hospitals too late at night for me to teach him the technique. I’ve been advised that bedtime is the worst time to do it, because the fluid thus drained gets urinated out....not exactly conducive to an uninterrupted night’s sleep.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited January 2016

Janis, I am so sorry about your dad. And I understand your comment about grieving the year before. I could see my mom going down hill and I grieved her death long before it happened. Just know that he is at peace, and you will be also. HARDEST OF HUGS TO YOU.

My dad fell and broke another rib on Thursday, but they sent him home. I stayed Thursday night and Friday we saw his Nurse practitioner (required after ER VISIT) and I stayed with him Friday night, but this morning I came home. I am not going back tonight unless he calls me. He had a couple episodes of confusion (not on any pain meds) Last night I gave e him a Tylenol 3 for pain and he went right to sleep after giving me a ton of grief about pain but not in the injured area, but sciatica....

• MostlySew
    edited January 2016

ChiSandy...keep up the massage. It took about 3 months to get mine down and I've ended up having two 3 month sessions about 6 months apart to get it completely under control. I never did get the ability to do the massage lying down, felt too weird to me, but did do mine in and after my shower in the morning. Seemed to help once the therapist and I got the thing under control. I got all the swelling down so that instead of being a cup or 2 larger, the BC breast ended up smaller. I also used to do some gentle massage during the day too..not a full session just some gentle fluid movement. Unfortunately I noticed the other day that I need to start work on this again. I've been fine for 3 years. Good Luck

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited January 2016

Oh my goodness Janis! I am so very, very sorry about your dad and especially due to the circumstances you faced recently with the "stepmonster". (((((Janis))))) You are such a wonderful person. Condolences to your family. xoxo

Sew, wonderful news on the weaning process beginning. Prednisone while a miracle drug for many, is a bear on the body and weaning is no fun. Hubby had this last year and he feels much better without it. So happy for you and now hopefully your breathing issues will be in the rearview mirror.

Just want to check in and say hello to all of you. I lost a good friend to ALS on Jan 3rd and I am still shaken by it. He was diagnosed in mid November but it was very aggressive and he ended up in ICU on a vent for 5 weeks and then passed. A blessing due to the nature of this horrific disease.

I have been kind of topsy turvy ever since his funeral. Almost a THOUSAND people signed his guest book at the funeral home. That is how incredible this man was. Everyone who knew him pretty much loved him. I miss him. He was just 69 years old and his last words to me when I visited him in the rehab center before he went to ICU were "I just wanted 10 more years.,...sigh. We just never know what tomorrow will bring.

Hugs to all and one thing that I am going to try to do this year and moving forward is not to sweat the small stuff.

xoxo

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited January 2016

Thank you so much for the loving support and condolences.  I appreciate it so much.  Both my sister and I are trying to figure it all out.  it is so bizarre, we each agree that at this point we don't even understand how we feel.  It is so difficult under such sad circumstances.  We had not been allowed by her to communicate with him at all.  She tore up the Father's Day cards that we each sent him and returned them to us.  I can only hope that he knew we had tried.  The whole situation is so sad.  I know he is no longer suffering in her terribly callous hands.

I want to come back and catch up with everyone.  I haven't read the past few pages, but I sure will soon.  I miss all of you and please know that I will be back again soon.

Again, thank you all for your love and support.  It means more than you can know right now.

Love and hugs to all!

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited January 2016

My deepest sympathy, Janis.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited January 2016

So sorry for your loss too April. What a testament to the kind of person he was with so many people at his funeral. I agree no more sweating the small stuff. We aren't promised tomorrow. We have all lost loved ones some expected and others not. While you can brace yourself for imminent deaths it is no less painful when they die. I wish your friend had gotten 10 more years.

Diane

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited January 2016

I'm sorry for anything I missed but I only have a few minutes, and I wanted to pop in...

{{{{{{{{{Janis}}}}}}}}} I'm so sorry, I know it's hard.

{{{{{{{{{April}}}}}}}}}} Thank you for reminding us how fast things can change, and to appreciate each day.

Sew, I'm just delighted/relieved that you have finally been able to reduce your preds. It's been a long struggle, and without the infection and the meds I expect you'll feel so much better.

Chi, I had a good bit of cording, and truncal LE. Massage is great for swelling, but I relied on gentle and consistent stretching to help the cording.

Marijen, It helps to research but be cautious about reading threads (except this one of course, we are all geniuses.) I find that people are much more likely to tell their horror stories, and it's important to remember that many women had minor issues, or even no issues. I am not discounting or dismissing those bad experiences, just suggesting balance and optimism. I was hypo, and had full breast radiation. It seems quite precise, and though I had some other side effects my thyroid function did not change. Sew's advice is important, and I hope you find a way to incorporate protein as well as water, lubing, exercise and rest. I wish you the best!

• marijen
    edited October 2017

Thank you SAB - very kind of you! I have already started "lubing" hydrating and adding more protein. Still healing from last surgery, slow on the exercise.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited January 2016

April, so sorry for the loss of that wonderful man whose life touched so very many. It seems an entire community will be lessened.

Marijen, my favorite exercise, and one I absolutely swear by, was just to lie on the floor (or the bed), stretch my arm out to the side, and very gently turn away, just enough to put tension on the tightness. After a few minutes, I'd move the arm and repeat the gentle stretch.

• MostlySew
    edited January 2016

Brookside, thanks for the reminder, that stretch feels great even now. I think I'll go do it!

April, how lucky you were to know this man. It is a shame when people are taken from us too soon. Life surely is too short to sweat the small stuff and this is a reminder.

• 70charger
    edited January 2016

to those affected by the storm, stay safe & warm. Hugs Fran

• marijen
    edited October 2017

Yes Brookside, I tried it at 4am and ending up doing about an hour's worth of stretching. Your stretch really feels great!

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited January 2016

Thanks Fran...I am one of the lucky ones in the path. We will likely see about 6-10 inches unless it veers a little to the west..then we will get hammered! LOL

Recent photo of my daughter and her fiancé...such a great picture of them so I thought I would share.

• etnasgrl
    etnasgrl Member Posts: 185
    edited January 2016

Your daughter is beautiful! What a great picture.

Smile

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited January 2016

April, your daughter is absolutely gorgeous, and her fiance is such a lucky man! May they be happy, happy, happy.

Marijen, if you stretched that arm for an hour, I hope you were very, very gentle and are not thinking naughty thoughts about my suggestion today!

• marijen
    edited October 2017

No, no. I started with the arm and then stretched everything that hurt. I.e. My whole body!

• MostlySew
    edited January 2016

April,

Your daughter is beautiful, and what a happy picture. I do hope you can escape the brunt of this storm..

• 70charger
    edited January 2016

nice pic april,hope it doesn't turn. One of my chemo gals is in the 24 in area. She's been posting pics. At 4 in so far.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2016

Hi

According to the weather channel, NYC is seeing its first flakes....I am about 75 miles east of NYC so I should see a few flakes before I fall asleep. Yesterday's model said LI would get 6-7" which changed by late evening to 6-12"; then today 12-18".
    My DD lives in DC and it started at 1 PM but the winds are just picking up there. Huge storm. I was supposed to travel to my granddaughter's (in my photo) 5th BD party just a few miles south of Boston. I canceled my trip 2 days ago. They won't get as much snow there, but I'd have to take a ferry and drive up I-95 for hours..

Fran, thanks for thinking of us in the storm's path.
    I have lots of food & water, a gas range for cooking, a kerosene heater, a small generator, and a big furry kitty to keep me warm. We are hoping that the power stays on. Sunday is my favorite football day of the year-- two great games.
    I already hired a kid from my college to clear my driveway. (Last year's "snow-mageddon" did us in with the shoveling)....

To anyone in the storm's path, please be safe and warm!

Janis, I am so sad to hear about your father. The past few years have been so hard and unfair for you. It just makes it that much harder. Will send PM.

April, sorry to hear about your friend. What a nice photo - DD is beautiful and her fiance is very handsome. I hope your DH continues in his recovery to better health.

Marijen, I am 4 years out from radiation this week. I worked during rads and never had any major issues. I only had an itchy rash in one area. After it was over, it was January break and I took off about 2 weeks and just rested. Any swelling went down. I have tenderness in the scar tissue and otherwise no side effects. Wishing you well as you start rads.

Sew, after such a long challenging time, I am so glad you are just about weaned from the 'roids. You will probably feel the tiredness for awhile, but you will be more like your true self.

SAB, hope you are feeling better overall.

Wishing everyone a good week end.
    Joan

• chisandy
    edited January 2016

April, so sorry about your friend. Your daughter is beautiful and her fiance ain’t exactly chopped liver, either. Lord willing, you’re gonna have gorgeous grandkids.

Sending my good wishes for safe passage to anyone on the roads in the Mid-Atlantic & NE tonight, and hopes that those already home there will keep their power and have enough food, water and shovels to be able to dig out. We had a two-footer last Super Bowl Sunday--I can’t even fathom getting three or four feet in one storm!

Began adding stretches and gentle resistance (elastic band) exercises to my LE therapy. I am to wear compression for exercise and guitar practice sessions (I expect to start adding hand weights next wk). So I ordered a Mediven Harmony glove and matching sleeve prescribed by the LE doc--should be here by Wed. morning, in time for me to wear it for my gig in Madison that night. The fitter at the medical supply shop told me to try LympheDivas for something “edgier” to wear onstage, so I went online and ordered their “Music City” sleeve & matching glove--it shipped out this morning and may actually get here first. I found that it’s difficult to play wearing a gauntlet, because the gap at the palm mutes the strings, whereas a well-fitting fingerless glove doesn’t. The Music City set looks like a cool tattoo of flowers, musical notes, guitar and old-fashioned “bullet-style” mic (the kind blues-harp players use).

The LE therapist yesterday says she’s noticing a little less fluid in my seroma. Wouldn’t mind having to pad that cup again!

• MostlySew
    edited January 2016

Chi Sandy, That sounds like good progress indeed. I loved the look of those fancy sleeves, but must admit I wasn't adventurous enough. I do hope it's helping, but it sounds like it.

Hope everyone is safe and warm back east. I haven't read about the storm yet but will do so next.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited January 2016

April, your daughter is beautiful thanks for sharing her fiance is lucky they look like a happy couple. I am so sorry about your dear friend.

Joan,Runfree,Brookside, and whomever lives on the east coast stay safe and stay home.